Find a Refrigerators partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Refrigerators

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've owned the GE Bottom side by side freezer for one year. It's quiet, maintains the set temperature, and I can control how often the ice maker cycles. The three shelves including one split shelf allows me to view most items at a glance. I especially like that I can use either two vegetable drawers or use one for vegetables and one for fruit. Included is a narrow meat, cheese drawer, too. The side doors are roomy for condiments, butter, salad dressings, etc. Although I can store soda cans on the bottom door shelf, I sometimes can't view, and tend to forget about the sodas because the shelf sits slightly behind the other door shelving. The bottom freezer is divided into two large bins, an ice maker tray, and a pull out top shelf. I find it very roomy. My only concern is that the stainless exterior easily shows fingerprints and needs to be wiped down frequently. However, I'm basically pleased with the refrigerator in general.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

My coverage I had at the time I had a refrigerator when I had a home and my insurance through Farmer’s Insurance at that time covered my parts and labor on my refrigerator 100%. Did not cost me that much more to have it covered through my Insurance which covered me on my liability Insurance on my truck at the time too and did not have to pay much more to have personal property insurance coverage on my refrigerator too. Just a few dollars more every month with my liability insurance every month too. That’s what I did every month too when I renewed my liability insurance coverage on my truck every month too and right now I don’t need to have until I buy another home too which I am preparing to do again as soon as I am able to find again too.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

We have a galley kitchen & needed a fridge that was ‘counter depth’. We also wanted gray appliances to match our decor. The GE Profile Line Refrigerator we chose makes up in width where we had to cut back in depth. It’s energy efficient as well as beautiful to look at. We couldn’t be happier! It shows itself off every time you open it, there are great lighting effects, even in the bottom drawer, which change color, depending on which setting you choose. The freezer, on the bottom, is also a dream, great ice make & lots of room. We are very happy with our purchase & highly recommend it!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Have had my General Electric Refrigerator about 8 months, brand new. It's very updated, timely and performs well. The temperature as set, keeps freezer food, as well as my usual assortment of basic refrigerator foods evenly cold. Along with a companion G.E. updated electric stove with range hood, this threesome is making a kitchen fashion statement nestled amongst blonde style oak cabinets, and their black easy wipe appliance surfaces. Living in a tornado alley midwestern area with above average storm and excessive wind activity, I'm very much impressed with this threesome's electric holding on and adaptable strength during the rougher stormy weather seasons, especially.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

We bought an expensive GE Cafe series refrigerator because it was the only one with a longer lifespan per reports. Thus far, the refrigerator is acceptable, though not as appealing as our 25 year old one that it replaced. The new one's doors are heavy and don't close with a slight shove (you have to consciously and firmly close the doors). The bright back-lit interior is easy to find things in; there's lots of room, though it's not as well thought out as their older ones (the door shelves are quite narrow and dont' hold much on the side with the icemaker). There's a lot of room that could have been used for shelf space, but isn't. Overall, we like it, but miss our old one.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

GE is a joke. I bought a new GE Profile counter depth and had continuous problems like shelving falling out, erratic cooling, water dispenser broke, lighting went out, ice maker broke, leaks water into freezer, faulty insulation generates condensate that drips pools of water all over wood flooring from multiple locations, erratic temp control in freezer, frozen food defrosted, mold in refrigerator.

This causes lost food, warped flooring, moldy food, sick kids. I will never buy GE again and I will tell everyone I know.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2011

I will never buy GE again. We purchased a GE side by side model DSS25MSSE in 2006 and have nothing but troubles. I have had a local repair man look at it 3 times. I don't blame him. Refer will warm up to let all food spoil. We replace circuit board once already. Problem is random. Unplug and it may start working again. Have GE wall oven and nothing but problems there too. Circuit board has gone out and connector somehow gets contaminated indicating dreaded F7 code.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2011

The water line in GE side by side seems to freeze. After a long discussions and pulling information from GE, they indicated that they have had issues with prior models, but not enough on my model 2009. The program for older fridges with same problem will not apply to mine with the same issue.

I have seen online that this is a common issue with GE refrigerators on different models.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2011

Our GE refrigerator is the worst appliance I have ever owned. It grows mold faster and it is out of control. Every two months, I have to totally disassemble my fridge and scrub it down. And this isn't a tiny bit of mold. It is covered with mold! In fact, I would say there is more mold than if you tried to grow mold. There are mold in places you would never expect, including the door and walls where no food comes in contact.

I throw out food like no other. Condiments like ketchup and worcestershire sauce have to be thrown out. I am constantly running to the store. I am a fastidious housekeeper, almost OCD, yet I cannot keep up with this refrigerator. My neighbor with 4 kids at home has a Frigidaire and she cleans it once a year. Whether it needs to or not.

We both agree, neither of us has seen anything so gross. I have pictures. The repair service has been no help. They claim I don't have my humidifier settings correct. Trust me, if it was that easy I would be thrilled. Obviously this is a manufacturing defect, check the consumer reports. I am not the only person with this problem. GE takes no responsibility for this so the only recourse is to share with others so other people don't get ripped off from this company.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2011

The GE Warranty doesn't work. It has been only two months since I got a new GE Refrigerator Model PFCS1RKZA SS (Bottom Freezer Style). I paid $2500 approximately. I got this noisy device which can be heard from everywhere inside the house and the refrigerator emits a constant / loud high-frequency buzz coming from the motor-fan so I called GE to get it repaired through warranty.

Upon arrival, the technician told me that the noise is normal. As I disagreed, he confessed that he has never replaced that type of motor; that it was very complicated and it would take a lot of time and effort. Then I asked him: Are you telling me that I would have to live with that noise? The technician shrugged and left. So I requested another service appointment to resolve the problem, but instead I got is a phone call from Tel 1.800.491.2737, a person that identified himself as a GE engineer who was trained by the same people who designed that refrigerator.

He told me that there was no problem with my refrigerator, and that if I wanted to get it serviced, he would have to bill me $79 for the second visit. So I asked him: Why do you want to get my $79 if you guys have already decided not to repair my noisy new refrigerator? He responded that he would then cancel the service appointment, so he did.

I set another appointment through GE's website and got visited by another technician from the same repairing department; he already came into my house with a bad attitude. He was discourteous and aggressive and he did not even check the refrigerator: He just opened the doors for two second, and told me that there was nothing wrong with it and left. He was previously instructed to do so, which was confirmed when I got a second phone call from the same GE engineer telling me that he has billed me $79 for the second visit. It's no doubt that the GE service warranty people in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, are irresponsible and dishonest.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

I have a GE refrigerator, model # GSH22JFXA and serial # FR208431. It has the metal rod with the plastic surrounding it. Today I made some iced tea. As I finished drinking it, I noticed all of my ice melted but this big rigged piece at the bottom of my glass. I am one that likes to chew ice, so I actually picked up my glass and turned it to my mouth to. Oh my God, a piece of plastic was hanging out of my mouth! We built this house only 3 years ago, and the appliances are brand new. Please, GE, recall this product before someone gets seriously injured or worse.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

No stars! We have heard many parts for GE refrigerators are made by Samsung of Korea. We bought a Samsung and had the exact same problems described here by many others. The cold section at coldest possible was warm. A technician came out, replaced a circuit board. Very quickly, the same problem recurred. They sent out a different repairman. He said "Oh, they have nothing but trouble with this model! " He filed his report. Since the refrigerator was only 3 months old, we were advised to cut off the power cord at about 12", keep plug attached, mail it in for a full refund. We were then stuck with a dead refrigerator that looked nice, but was worthless. We thought it very peculiar they did not offer to exchange for another model or do anything at all to retain us as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

Refrigerator doesn't operate correctly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! I'm so tired of throwing food away! I will never buy another G.E. product!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2011

GE Profile PSB42YGXASV purchased 5/2011. Sept.2011 - Not cooling/freezing. GE repairman installed new board,fan. Worked for 10 days. Freezer now 48 degrees. Again I wait for GE repairman. This GE Profile replaced the GE profile I purchased in 1993 that worked 14 years before a need for repair.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2011

Thought the GE Profile would be top of the line, we have limited income, so this was a major purchase. We are thankful that we decided to get the extended warranty. We bought the refrigerator, PFS22MBSWW on December 7, 2006 and problems developed immediately. Home Depot brought a "loaner" until the problem was fixed.

The icemaker that was installed later has never worked properly. The plastic latch on the door broke off. The shelve support broke, and thus, the meat tray cracked. I could never depend on the temperature; the freezer would not keep ice cream because of the variable temperatures. I thought I was not closing the door well or something was blocking the seal.

We have dealt with this for the past five years, and the system has failed completely. My warranty is out in December, and after reading the other consumer reports, I see no hope for this refrigerator. I have been waiting for about 3 weeks for an authorized serviceman from GE. I think it is shameful that the GE company has not replaced this product or refunded its customers.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2011

We purchased a GE PSS26MSTE-SS side-by-side refrigerator in 2007, had it installed in summer 2008 in our new home. This refrigerator has been a nightmare! Service technicians, in touch with GE technical support, have replaced 6 of 8 possible parts (thermistors, thyristors, control boards, fans, and so on-over and over) to keep the frig from icing up and ruining the fan, freezing up the ice maker, and quit cooling (both sides) altogether.

The technician now says that this frig cannot be fixed. We believe that it is a piece of junk! Our food is subjected to constant heating and refreezing/re-cooling, which is not a healthy situation. We constantly have spoiled food. When it quits cooling completely, it is always a weekend! In discussions with GE consumer affairs, they say that they "know of no consistent problems with this model". Liars! Just review this forum to see how many complaints exist about GE. We cannot recommend GE appliances.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I have a GE Monogram refrigerator only, and have had problems from the start. It continually grows mold, and they have been here numerous times fixing anything they could think of, and I still am cleaning the entire refrigerator for mold. I am throwing away spoiled food that have not yet reached the expiration date every day! It is costing a fortune, along with the electricity being used to keep it going because the fan never stops (yes, they did replace the fan). Please help. I want a new refrigerator or a refund.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

GE appliances are certainly not what they used to be back when that's all my grandmother would buy. My stainless steel GE profile over-the-range microwave was not even a year old when it first broke down. Now, it's less than five years since having the appliances and the refrigerator (a stainless steel GE profile) is on the blink as well. It seems that the quality is not as good, so that GE can sell you these outrageous extended service warranties in order to continue making a profit.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2011

I purchased a GE side-by-side refrigerator (model GSH25JSXL) 18 months ago. The water dispenser suddenly stopped working. In about 5 minutes of googling, I knew what the problem was. It turns out that this is a known issue with GE refrigerators. The insulation around the water tube is not sufficient. It usually takes a couple of years and then ice keeps forming in the water dispenser tube. GE knows about this issue, so they created a part you can order for $30 called a water tube heater. This is incredible. They sell a shoddy product with a known defect and then, want to further profit from you by charging you for the missing part! I consider this to be nothing short of fraud. I used to buy GE products because it is an American company (although in 2010, they famously paid $0 in US taxes despite $14B in profit, $5B of which was from US operations). I will never buy any GE product again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

My 2 -year-old stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator (model GSH25JSXJ SS) broke down this weekend. A very nice repairman came out quickly. After trying a few things, he broke the bad news that the compressor was bad. How is it possible that a compressor on a two-year-old refrigerator would be defective? I now understand why GE only offers a 1-year warranty on their products (Maytag model we're looking at offers a 10-year compressor warranty). It's disappointing GE, disappointing.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

We too have a 2005/2006 GE profile (Arctica model PSF26PG), and from the very first year, we have had problems. Cindy: a class action suit is what I was thinking.

Luckily, we bought the 5 year extended warranty but that expires in February. The repair people have been here no less than 12 times. Originally, an ice block formed behind our veggie drawer when the unit was less than a year old. We were told that a "kit" to fix this problem was available, and it was installed. We are now on our third kit! Obviously, GE knew that there was a problem and created a repair kit, but the repair kit is not working.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

I bought a new GE French door GE Profile in 2006. While I was out of town in 2009, the main electronic part failed. I lost all the contents of the refrigerator. The cost to repair was well over $300. Once again in 10-2011, the freezer was filled with frost. The GE repair person came out and heated the seal and said that it was now repaired. I am to empty the contents and clean out all frost and to call again if it reappears. One of the main top doors never closed properly. GE said that a part was missing. The cost to heat freezer seal plus service call is $140. The estimated cost to repair the door that has never closed properly is $436.91. The repair person advised the use of 'Vaseline' on that door seal.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2011

We have had this GE Profile Stainless Steel Side-by-Side since 2006. It was with the house we bought, purchased in 2004. We have had it repaired 7 times in 5 years, though it has broken many more times. We just made quick fixes ourselves. It had the following problems: ice machine replaced, defrost heater burned out, refrigerator door screw slips, bulb stays on and cooks all food in fridge (have to manually tighten screw every 2 weeks for 3 years), coils froze solid (killing refrigerator side/ruined all food), water in door hose froze solid, door shelf broke and fell out, ice turning mechanism broke etc. Needless to say, it is now being thrown away. GE is a piece of garbage. Do not buy a GE Product!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

I have inconsistent temperature with my side-by-side refrigirator that I purchased in February 2011. I have a unit that forms ice on both freezer and refrigerator sides. Other times, it's too warm resulting food to spoil and water leak at the bottom. It is noisy when that happens. I have been dealing with service calls since July.

When the technician came the first time, the refrigerator was working fine but he suggested that the computer board may have problems. When the new board arrived after a few days, I had another service call to have it installed. It still wasn't fixed. I was still having the same problems. I had another service call and when he arrived, the problem was already gone. Each time the refrigerator is acting up, I record everything on my iPhone so I have a collection of videos to show the technician. But the technician always says that the unit works fine and there's nothing he could do at that time.

I spoke to GE customer relations and they said that there's nothing they can do except offer a discount on a new unit which she quoted at approximately $1200. I bought the unit for about $1500 from Sears sale. I told her that I am so frustrated with the situation that if it was a matter of $100 or $200, I was willing to pay for it but not for another $1200 for a new unit. I asked her if they can have a service guy on call so they can witness the problem as it happens. She said they don't have such service. I am so fed up with this situation and do not know who to turn to.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

I have had this GE Profile model no. PSS26MSTE-SS Side-by-Side Refrigerator for the last 5 years. It did fine until about 8 months ago. It started with the water dispenser freezing up and going into a defrost cycle. This continued at least once every two weeks and became more frequent as time went on. Now, it will not cool at all in either compartment. I have a technician coming tomorrow and I suspect it will be at least $250. This is the second out of the three GE appliances I bought together that has had major problems. I am tired of throwing away food. I will never buy a GE product again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2011

We bought a new refrigerator, when we built the house in 2004. It is a GE (Model Gss22GPCWW) side by side with automatic ice make, water dispenser. We have nothing but problems from the 2nd year we owned it. The thermostat went out thrice and we had the repair man out for it at least 4 times at over $150 a pop each time, the water dispenser stopped working and now, the motor for the ice machine has burnt out. It seems that a small amount of water is dripping down into the ice bin and freezing hard like a brick, so the motor for the dispenser burnt out trying to turn the block of ice that formed. I will not buy another GE product. I had an older (1990) GE Refrigerator that we kept for an extra refrigerator, for over 20 years and had no problem with it, until the compressor went last year.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2011

I purchased a GE Profile Built-In Refrigerator on June 24, 2006. The model number is PSC23SGRSS. I paid $1,900 for this piece of junk. I expected that this expensive refrigerator last longer than 5 years.

Our water and ice quit working in the door. We read advice on the internet and tried different techniques, but none of them helped. After 2 weeks, the temperature in the refrigerator and freezer were hot. The degree lights at the top of the refrigerator were blank. Needless to say, everything had to be thrown out and it was a mess to clean up.

I called GE Service Care (what a joke) on a Monday and the soonest anyone would come out would be in 8 days, anytime between 8 and 5 pm. Wow, having to get a cheap refrigerator to keep everything cold for 8 days and having to go to the garage every time you needed something is unrealistic.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

I purchased a GE Monogram side-by-side counter depth refrigerator in 2004 and have had the motherboard replaced once along with a compressor, damper door, evaporative motor, condenser fan motor, etc. I always have had a problem with increasing or decreasing temperatures in the unit, along with all kinds of weird noises. The unit became increasingly hotter early summer and I called out our appliance repair service that we use for all our appliances and are happy with them --very honest. I was told that the motherboard was out and would have to be replaced. Our technician said he would order it and that he would probably be out the next day or so to install it.

I got a call the next morning from the service, stating that there were no motherboards available. I found that odd and called GE myself and spoke to about five departments until I got the number for the GE Monogram customer service department. At which time, I learned that they had recalled all motherboards and were remanufacturing them. They would not be done for sometime. I was told by my representative that she had found one on Amazon for another woman earlier that day, however, she was not allowed to order them and suggested that I order one. I stated the fact that why would I want to order one that was being recalled when I should just wait and get a new one? I decided to check the appliance sites online and found that the motherboard was listed as available, but when you went to order it, it was on backorder.

I then called GE back and was told that they should be available in September. I called back and was told that they were back from manufacturing, would be programmed and she would send one out by the end of the following week. After waiting four weeks, I called back and talked to another representative, that my original contact had not sent anything and that he would overnight one (at no cost) that Thursday. The following Tuesday (today), when I still had not received my overnight package, I called and talked to my original rep. She finally told me that they had manufacturing problems and that it would not be available until November (like I believe that). Again, her only suggestion was to help me with the price of a new unit to which I told her that I would never ever buy another GE product in my life.

I insisted that I speak to her boss. Conveniently, all bosses were in a meeting. While I was out, she called and apologized but said that it was out of their control. Meanwhile, I have been without a refrigerator since July. I use the freezer part as my refrigerator since it is now only cold enough to act as a refrigerator. After reading all the complaints and hearing about a recall to their suppliers (which I assumed is why you can't even find an old motherboard) and not informing the consumers, I would gladly join any class action lawsuit. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks for being a sounding board. Cindy **

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

I purchased a GE Profile with French doors and with a bottom freezer (Model: PFS22SISASS) about five years ago. I paid $2,500 for this refrigerator. I had an Appliance repair person come out on 03 Oct 11 and tell me that the compressor and the electronic board need replacing. He told me that the unit was not worth repairing. These GE Profile refrigerators only last about five to six years. I had to purchase a new refrigerator.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2011

Plastic sugar in the ice maker has broken into pieces and come out in our drinks. I want to know when GE is going to recall these things and replace them with stainless steal ones. When is Consumer Affairs going to do anything? Can't they see there is plainly a problem? Come on.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2011

GE side-by-side Refrigerator Model No. GSH25JFTA CC Serial No. AM206682. The freezer continues to get too cold no matter what setting I use. Water pools at the bottom and then at times, will melt onto the floor beneath the refrigerator. The ice maker now doesn't stop making ice.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2011

Our Side-By-Side GE Arctica Refrigerator is seven years old and has been growing black mold, along the sides of the appliance and the rubber gasket lining the doors. A repair person I called about a year ago told us we needed a new door at a cost of about $1000. Ridiculous! We keep cleaning the gaskets and the outside of the door, but the mold keeps growing back.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2011

I purchased a new fridge on 09/02/2011. After four repairs (control box - heater), it has ruined all my food. It cost me 500 dollars at least if not more. Today, it is still not working correctly.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2011

I have a GE Profile stainless steel refrigerator ($3000) that I bought from Sears, Sacramento, CA. I have suffered the same problem as all of these other people. The fridge is "sweating", the ice is melting repeatedly in cycles in the freezer section, and the temperature in the refrigerator is cycling in a warm cycle. Also, there is black mould in the fridge. The food was thrown away. As soon as we bought the refrigerator, "the filters were no longer available". We paid hundreds of dollars for 3 technicians and 2 different "converters" that didn't work later. It is obvious that companies selling these lemons are aware of the problems. But they keep selling them to unexpected innocent people. And then when the people have a problem, "the manager doesn't take phone calls, write a letter to the manufacturer, etc". There are bunch of ** and morals in the toilet. Let's talk to KCRA and let the public know what a rip off this is.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2011

I purchased my house about 2 years ago. Part of the deal was to keep the refrigerator model # GSL22JFPBS, which I'm not happy with. The refrigerator is making clicking sound every 2 seconds located at the back of the fridge. And no cold air comes out of it. It looks like the issue is with the bad motherboard. I tested J3 and J8 with a volt meter. I got lower than normal voltage. I read lots of forums in regards to GE refrigerator. One of the main problems is a bad design or engineering flaw that makes the control board go bad every 2 years.

GE Refrigerators Company Information