2. Homeowners
  3. Microwaves

GE Microwave Ovens

GE Microwave Ovens
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Microwave Ovens Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Microwave Ovens?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Purchased a new stainless steel 1200 watt General Electric Microwave in 2012. By 2013, the opening latch broke. They were willing to send the part as long as (I did the labor). I did the repair and put the machine back in service. At the end of 2014, an electrical storm occurred inside the unit with smoke and flames beginning within the control side of the unit. I unplugged it, let it cool, then later confirmed it was ruined. I tried consumer service again. They sent a repairman out to confirm the unit was not repairable. This time they called 2 days later and offered me a $20 coupon toward a new, retail GE microwave.

Basically, they wasted my time. They should have just told me I was "screwed" and their units now only last 2 to 3 years, even if you buy a top end counter model. I waited at home 2 hours for this repairman to come by and several phone calls and would have more appreciated a quick answer, "gotcha sucker! You bought a piece of crap GE product and you're screwed!"

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I have a GE over the range microwave oven purchased in 2011. 4 years old, hardly out of it's service life. In 2013, while heating up my lunch, I heard a loud buzzing and popping noise. The plastic hooks that hold up a metal tray (yes, the unit comes with a metal tray) in the microwave oven caught fire. I called GE and demanded they repair the unit, they said they were not responsible since it was out of the warranty period.

Having experience in the insurance industry, I reminded them about product liability, if this is a common occurrence, there would be potential liability issues for GE. The service tech said they would send someone out free of charge to repair the unit. He replaced the two hooks that fried and said they were no longer responsible for unit. Today, 01/28/15, we just had it happen again. One more hook caught fire.

Hey GE, do you really think I will buy any kind of appliance from you again when you make a defective product and don't stand behind it? I will not. I would recommend people do your research carefully when buying a microwave oven, especially one from GE. I would recommend anyone do research when buying any kind of GE product since, in my opinion, they clearly do not care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I bought GE OTR microwave in December. It is exactly one month old now. My model no. is: 9195SVC. It looks good, but I find the fan very noisy, even when it is at 'low.' My range hood which we had in the kitchen prior to this microwave was very quiet at low and only a bit noisy at high. I do not know if the noise is because I have steel exhaust pipes vented out. Rest is O.K. but given that others have reported problems in 1-2 months, I am still nervous.

I bought this product at Sears with an extended warranty, which is some relief. However, when I was shopping for this at Home Depot, the salesperson told me these microwaves last only 4-5 years. One good thing about Sears extended warranty is that if it is not used over the five years, they refund the warranty payment (with taxes) in the form of a gift card and they were also cheaper than Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

We purchased a kitchen full of GE Cafe appliances with our new home two years ago and yesterday the handle to the door came off in my hand. This is an $1100 microwave that is two years old. GE wants to sell me a new door for over $200. It just seems a little underhanded that we buy high-end appliances thinking we are getting a good product. My mother has a microwave the cost less than $100 at Walmart, it's six or seven years old and has never had any issues! Show how much they can overcharge us for cheap merchandise and get away with it!

Resolution response: Feb. 1, 2015

GE has agreed to replace and install my microwave. I am very satisfied that they understood my concern in this situation and agreed to my request.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Model: HVM1540SP1SS, Serial No:LV301607B - This unit is three years old. The microwave will start up by itself. GE sent a tech out and confirmed this but would not admit that it was a hazard. I believe that this is a fire hazard and should be replaced. I have read of instances where this incident has caused a fire. I don't understand why GE would place a fire hazard in a customers home. I feel that GE should replace my unit with a new one.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

This is what transpired on the with GE: I called GE Service because the Magnetron is defective. I had trouble talking to anyone because the Serial Number label on the unit is BLANK. Also, the unit is 9 years old. However, my owners manual reads "additional nine-year limited warranty". The customer service rep said the additional warranty is "5 years" and GE WILL NOT honor the GE printed manual I have. I was escalated to a supervisor and the first thing she asked for a "Serial Number" to schedule a service call. I said no, all I want is a new part and she responded "can't do that and I cannot schedule a call without a serial number." Hello, the label is "BLANK". We went back and forth, getting nowhere and I got angry (I hope can recover the call), she is an IDIOT!

Well, opened up the unit and lo and behold it isn't a GE part. I got on eBay and purchased the DAEWOO part (the magnetron the microwave was built with) a lot cheaper and repaired the unit myself. Oh, she said "you can't do that". Sounds like Big Brother is alive and well at GE. I don't expect a response since I have been dealt with by the most inhuman people at GE!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

It popped and acted as if something that should not be microwave several times, although the contents were fine. Finally it caught on fire. I had it for a year and used it mainly to warm up my coffee. Never popped popcorn or used in meal. I will not buy GE again. I work too hard for my money.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2015

We bought our home 4 years ago. After 2 years and 8 months the bottom of the door cracked and a piece fell off, then the door wouldn't close. We were past the warranty so we bought a new one since it would be cheaper to replace it than repair it. We didn't complain because we thought it was put in incorrectly by the builder. The new one was installed correctly this time. After 1 year and 8 months the door is doing the same thing. I contacted GE and they said there is no manufacture defects. Because we didn't purchase the extra warranty it would cost us $90 to have someone come out and look at it. We only paid $179 for the microwave. It is a huge problem for us! We will not buy another GE product. Mostly because the customer service isn't willing to help at all. They just transfer you to different departments who all tell you the same thing. Very disappointed in GE.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

Bought a new GE microwave cafe series in May 2014. Within one month the handle which was not stainless steel started to peel and cut my wife's hand. GE sent a replacement new door for the unit that did not close. Then he had to transplant the handle from the new door to the old door. A month later the unit failed. A new replacement unit took 2 months to replace. It has worked 3-4 weeks and has also now totally failed. Our experience with GE CAFE microwave and GE service process is poor to miserable. I would not recommend this product or their service to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

GE jvm1750sp1ss microwave - bought in 2010, less than 4 years old has stopped working. Lights are on, but when we hit the start button we hear a small pop and nothing else. The clock does work counting down but nothing else. I happen to love this microwave, it was a gift for my wife. It now no longer works and cannot afford a new one. Option 1: replace parts myself for 150.00. Option 2: call a technician for 200.00 plus parts or option 3: do without. Option 4: wait to afford a new one. I guess all things grow old but we should have enough history on these items to post a life span. Well a story like this usually falls on deaf ears but if someone is reading, make the suggestion on the life span or make the parts affordable. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

About two years ago I moved into my condo and as a housewarming gift my sister gave me money to buy a microwave oven. I bought a GE over the range microwave. Well it quit over two months ago - really disappointed. I bought the next one but now after reading all these similar experiences I am sorry I bought the same problem.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

Remodeled our kitchen back 6-7 years ago and bought GE Profile appliances from Home Depot... bad mistake. The microwave/convection oven came as one unit and now due to paint peeling on the microwave interior - inside top and sides we need to replace the entire unit to the tune of $2,500 plus. I called Home Depot and asked if there was a government mandated recall on the item... and they asked if we purchased the extended warranty. What? Does anyone know of a recall or class action suit on the following item: GE Profile Model: PT970SMISS. Manufactured December 2007.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

I purchased my GE Microwave about a year and a half ago. It has served me with flying colors till yesterday. To explain, I was boiling a small plastic pan of water for some rice. I have done this many times in the past. In the middle of the cooking cycle I heard a loud bang from the microwave. I stopped the cooking cycle and opened the door. To my surprise the glass turntable had shattered into several pieces. I cleaned out all the broken glass and tested the microwave. It seems to be working perfectly with the exception of the glass turntable. A new one was ordered. No further action is required. This is just an information for GE.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

I was heating up some Mexican food and smelled plastic burning and looked in the microwave and saw one plastic knobs that hold up the metal grill on fire. I blew it out. I have GE repairman come out to see if they could fix it, and he said that happens and they were not responsible for it. I told the repairman to get out of my house as GE has built a product that can burst into flames and will not address that they are at fault.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2014

My GE Adora microwave is about 6 years old and for the last year it has had an issue with moisture in-between the glass front door. It was streaky and now I have cloudy blotches. Called GE repair and it would cost close to $90 just for service call not including parts/labor. Think twice before purchasing this microwave. Not a happy consumer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2014

Our GE microwave just stopped working after 3 or 4 years. It was manufactured 4 years ago, but I am not exactly sure when we purchased and installed it... It may have sat on the shelf for a year. It is not the touch panel, the lights, timer, clock... They all work. In fact, I can put in a time to cook and push START and the timer will start counting down as if the microwave is cooking, but it is totally silent, no turntable, no noise, no nothing. The new replacement model number is the JVM6175 but I am scared to buy it, as I am so disappointed in GE. All the washers, dryers, microwaves, and refrigerators we have bought over the last 30 years have only lasted 3 to 7 years. The only appliance by GE we have purchased that seems to be still working is the dishwasher. We only used this microwave to heat up coffee or some leftovers. It is not being used to cook big meals or anything like that. GE has just gone downhill, it appears. I think I will just give up on them totally.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2014

GE Profile microwave PNM1871SM1SS - After 5 years of intermittent use in our second home, the magnetron crapped out. Research finds this to be a chronic problem with them. GE has sold an inferior product & has no intention of making it right with consumers. GE can only fail in the marketplace, soon relegated to just another so-so company struggling to survive. Goodbye GE.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

PVM1870SMC ($580 plus tax/Cost CDN). I bought all new GE Profile units in mid 2010 for my new house. I spent $7000, plus tax, for 4 items from a reputable company in Hannon Ontario. I bought a Fridge, Dual fuel range, Dishwasher and last the Microwave, model stated above.

About 6 months back it started acting funny, but thought not too much of it as it was very intermittent. Today the Microwave will NOT seem to shut off after it beeps from cooking/warming up food and the door is open then closed. I close the door and it starts to hums. If food is in it, you can see it is still cooking. I open the door, and then close it again and it starts to Humming as soon as the door closes.

The glass tray does not turn, nor does the light go on (when humming) as it does when you actually push the start button. If you do start it, everything works, that is the table turns, light goes on and it cooks/warms food etc. Then it beeps when done, you open the door to remove items, close the door, and again just starts humming.

I unplug it for an hour, but as soon as you plug back in, again.. Hums until you open the door. I put a cup of water in it, and just closed the door, did not push the start button. After about 40 seconds, the water started to boil.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2014

I am now facing my 5th repair appt about my 2 year old microwave. I have spent nearly $300 on repairs to be told I can purchase a new one for 50% off. Well, $426 plus my $275 I have paid IS A NEW One! 20 hours of me having to be available for service. I did not know the life of this appliance was 2 years. GE complaint number **. This is an unacceptable resolution offered by GE!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our 1980's White GE Microwave and Stove/oven. But, after 15-20 years with the same appliances, we finally saved up for "upgrades" and purchased a new Stainless Steel (mid-range priced) GE Microwave and stove/Oven. I cannot begin to describe our disappointment. The Microwave is above our Stove/oven. Our old microwave had two powerful lights underneath it - one on each side. This microwave provides one small, weak light that does no good any time of day. Why would GE go from two great lights to one middle useless one? Also, the faint white numbers on the front keypad of the microwave are barely visible during the day - forget about seeing this when the light is not perfect. I foolishly assumed these numbers would be backlit on a black background. Onto the Stove/oven.

The temperature is not accurate but that is something we can deal with. After the oven is pre-heated, the assigned temperature stays on the display pad - NOT the actual time. Who cares about the temperature you set the oven to - don't we all need to know when to check or take out our food? Our last oven always showed the time. We did not join the Stainless Steel bandwagon 10-15 years ago when others did - which we thought would be good for GE to get some kinks out. I Guess we should have waited 10 more. Proper lighting on your Microwave and The time on your stove/oven while cooking are not too much to ask for when we just dropped at least 2-thousand dollars!!!!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

GE profile microwave TOUCH SCREEN pvm2070sm4ss - Almost new. Used properly. Touch screen failure. TOUCH SCREEN does not function properly making it almost impossible to use the microwave. This Common Problem should be a RECALL.........

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

I notice when cleaning the inside of the microwave that the coating on the top (ceiling) of the microwave has bubbled and cracked and there is a hole in the interior top coating. This unit is about 9 years old, and is a dual unit as the bottom is a convection oven with very little use. I'm told I need to replace the microwave. I have never seen bubbled and cracked interior in many years of owning and using this type of appliance. The photo shows the defects in the lining coating. I'm really upset about this.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

Model WES1130 GE Microwave - The entire interior of the microwave just started peeling off the coating/finish around 3 years after purchase. The turntable wheel guide path totally disintegrated the finish of the path. It still worked but was so unsightly and disgusting to look into the interior and possibly dangerous to eat anything that had been put inside to cook. I just got rid of it. I purchased another GE Model JES1460DSBB and it started malfunctioning after 3 weeks. I returned it and will not buy another GE product.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2014

Microwave model PT970M4SS. No access to change light bulb. Must pay minimum service $75 + parts to change bulb?????? Will cook in the dark & never buy a GE appliance again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

My husband and I bought my mom a new microwave, an expensive GE model. It was great, but then all of a sudden we heard a bang pop and the microwave was burnt. Now it's seriously peeling on the top bottom and sides. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE EVER!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

Sometime in the 1970s, my mother bought all new GE appliances; a refrigerator, a kitchen range-microwave combo and a dishwasher. After her death my husband and I moved into her house and continued to use these appliances until 2007. The refrigerator and dishwasher are still going strong as of now... October 2014. The refrigerator only needed the drainage line cleaned. The range began to have some electrical shortage problems and rather than try to repair (which is what we should have done with both appliances), we decided to replace the refrigerator and range/microwave.

We bought new GE appliances; a GE refrigerator (my brother put the old one in his shop), GE microwave and GE range. The new refrigerator's icemaker would not work property when we got it and the microwave (Model #JVM2070SK02) quit early this year (big difference in the old microwave at 30 some years use and my new one at only 7 years use). Because my husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor and I was the only caretaker, I was not able to address the malfunctioning icemaker immediately. In fact, because of my husband's hospitalization, I wasn't even at home during that year enough to use the icemaker.

WOW! What a ripoff GE is selling to consumers. My complaints won't solve my problems nor the problems experienced by other people who bought these defective appliances but it helps to vent my anger. Just recently a small leak in the waste-water drain hose (easy to replace) sent me scurrying to find a new dishwasher but when considering the replacement of my 1970s dishwasher and the reliability of my newer appliances, I decided that my 1970s dishwasher will outlast anything I could replace it with. So I decided to replace the waste-water drain hose myself.

What a sad appliance market we have in the US when buyers have to replace newly purchased appliances anywhere from a few days to a few short years after purchase. I think appliance companies intentionally produce inferior, unfixable products so consumers will replace their inferior ones with new inferior models thus keeping up sales. Do we have a choice? I lived before dishwashers and microwaves and I can live without either now. I would prefer not to go back to wood cook-stove and an icebox but I may not have a choice (I actually have an icebox if needed).

Is there any way to hold companies responsible for the products they produce? If anyone out there has had longevity of 10 years or more use from a newer appliance line, that is appliances made since 2000... Please share the producer's name with rest of us. GE isn't what it used to be and neither are many other US brand name appliances.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2014

We built our house and purchased a "NEW" close out Advantium Microwave. Due to delays we were not able to get into the house and use the appliance until literally 1 month after the WTY expired. The KEYPAD is shorted. There are a number of these complaints for this microwave - so we arranged for service. $375 dollars later - it was ALMOST working and the repair service determined that a new keyboard would be needed. 5 mos later we are kindly asked to take a refund of our repair bill and forget the whole thing - the part is not available! REALLY?! $2000 for a microwave, and you don't even support it?! Last - LAST time I put trust in GE. SCB2000FBB 03

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

We have a GE Profile Microwave (PNM1871SM3SS) that is only 3 years old and is reporting "KEYPAD SHORTED - SERVICE MAY BE REQUIRED". We called GE service repair and told them the exact message. The service guy shows up and says all he has in his order is "General other service needed" and that he doesn't have the keypad panel. Gives us an estimate of $501 to repair it. Tells us a new one costs $400 and with a coupon he can give us it will be $100 less. We were charged $99 for this visit which basically lasted 10 minutes (way to go GE on making money off faulty devices you sell). The service-person also told us that the average life was 10 years for these, but this one crapped out in 3. He said if we get another GE microwave, it will fit right in there and that I can do it myself if I am handy but after reading all the reviews online, I am skeptical whether I should get a GE microwave again or not!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2014

I purchased a GE Microwave oven, model #JVM1540DP1BB and, in seven months, the interior paint started peeling. I contacted the company and they said, "go ahead and use it. It won't hurt anything." (Well, actually, it doesn't heat as well now.) They offered me a discount on another GE Microwave. I advised them that the oven was manufactured three months prior to my purchase and so the Microwave was only ten months from birth to "death" - it was also made in Malaysia and so was purchased practically straight off the boat - and should have been covered under warranty. The response to that was, "I'm sorry. I'm only authorized..." "Fine. Let me talk to your boss," I said.

I was connected to another company mouthpiece who promised to send a serviceman out to look at it. The next week, said serviceman did come to the house. He told me they could take it in and "...see if they could fix it" or they could give me a discount on another one. Again I iterated that the microwave should be replaced at no cost. He flat out told me, "They won't do that."

My next fiasco with this danger trap was several months later when it started turning on of its own accord. So, we had to keep the oven unplugged at all times unless actively in use. I again contacted GE and was again advised that they would "be happy to offer me a discount on another..." blah, blah, blah. After a couple of years of using this machine, I called GE one last time. I spoke to the regional vice-president, Gary **. The response this time was truly mind-boggling. They had no record of my having called previously!!! But, after telling them I felt their product was inherently defective by design and, not only would I never purchase another GE product EVER, I have emptied my house of any and all GE products right down to the light bulbs, have purged my mother's house, and advise everyone I know of my experience, recommending they, too, do not patronize GE.

He began repeatedly screaming at me, "What do you want me to do?" I told him that, two or three years previous, I wanted them to replace a defective microwave. Now, and following their abhorrent customer service, I wouldn't want anything from them and, if they were to tell me the sky was blue and water was wet, I would not believe them. I was not inclined to pay six hundred dollars yearly for a new microwave oven, so there was nothing they had I would ever want. I then pointed out that I purchased a Sony microwave for my mother when my grandson was six years old. He's twenty-four now and both the id and the oven are still going strong. Then HE hung up on ME! I have noticed others here who have had similar experience with GE Microwaves so my recommendation to anyone considering a new microwave oven is to steer clear of GE at all costs. I only gave them a one star rating because I couldn't give them a negative star rating.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

In November 2012 I had a kitchen fire due to a faulty unit. Called GE and they said the unit had been recalled yet they failed to notify EVERYONE in my neighborhood. And I was the unlucky one to have the fire first. Had everything fixed via my insurance company and I paid my 500.00 deductible.... Insurance is still trying to collect from GE. Now my new unit is on the fritz... I wrote to GE explaining everything and as of today I haven't received a reply of any kind. Curious if there are any class action suits against them..... One Frustrated Ex-Customer.

GE Microwave Ovens Company Information