1.44/5
Based on 9 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

10 GE Icemakers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 7, 2017

Recently, I had some friends over for drinks and unfortunately, our GE ice maker was putting more than ice into our glasses. As you can see from the attachment, there were sharp pieces of plastic that have broke from the auger, and were pushed out with the ice. Since the pieces are plastic, they are basically indistinguishable from the ice. Bottom line, GE has ruled that this in NOT a safety issue, and refuses to pay a dime to fix this. Also, for some reason, I am now unable to contact their consumer division, as I think they have blocked my number (just have to use a different phone number). I have always admired GE, and all of my appliances are from them. Unfortunately after this experience, I will never purchase anything from this company.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I have reported this ongoing problem to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Dangerous shards of plastic dispensing from the ice-maker.

Get expert buying tips about Refrigerators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I purchased a GE Hybrid hot water heater from Lowes in 2010. The GE demo truck was parked in the parking lot and I stopped to talk to the salesperson from GE and ended up buying the Hybrid hot water heater. In the past I always bought GE products because they were reliable. NO MORE. The hot water heater started leaking about 15 months later. The water was coming from the unit mounted on top of the water heater.

Luckily I had purchased the extended warranty from Lowes. Many repairman came but none could fix the problem. Lowes finally gave me all my money back. The hot water heater works, but not in the hybrid mode. When the heater worked in the hybrid mode, my electric bill went down by $30/mo. Now I'm afraid to buy any hybrid water heater. I also have a GE Refrigerator which stops working every year or two. It is expensive to fix. GE products are awful.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

My refrigerator is only 2 years old and the top ice maker hasn't worked for a couple of month. I emailed GE and they told me to contact Bouchard-Pierce and have them look at it. So, I called for a service man and they wouldn't even come unless I paid $99.50 upfront. So, the guy comes and says we need a new ice maker and his company would call me. So, they did call and an ice maker costs $129. So, then you have to pay for it to be installed, another $50 or so. So, and then they made me pay for the ice maker upfront. This is so ridiculous! I will not buy GE again and I won't buy from Bouchard-Pierce again. An expensive, 2 year old refrigerator should not have to have repairs that costs almost $300.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2015

When the ice melts from my GE Profile Fridge, model PFSS6PKWBSS, the water is cloudy and dirty. We change our filter religiously. The water from the dispenser is fine it's just a problem with the ice. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2013

I called the place where I bought the refrigerator which came with the icemaker installed. The repairman from there came out twice and put new parts in icemaker (the icemaker was only a couple of months old at the time) and that did not change anything. Then, I called GE and they sent a technician out three times and each time, he changed some parts or turned some kind of control up or down. Still no difference. Now, I feel as though both GE and Reed's Appliance are ducking me. I need a refrigerator with an icemaker that works!

Original review: June 8, 2012

I bought a GE Profile 3 door bottom freezer, 1-1/2 years ago. Since day one, it wakes people in the household up at night dropping ice cubes into the freezer bin. I have contacted "customer service" and it is a nightmare. First, they tell me the serial number says I have a different model than the one listed on my warranty (put there by GE). After fighting them to explain that I did not put the numbers there, their only suggestion is I manually shut off the ice maker each and every night and turn it on each and every day. So, I guess in their mind, it's acceptable to put up with the noise during daytime hours. Also, the comment was, "Well, it at least works." Omg, what have we come to as a consumer? Buy on the fly, and you get what you get. I will never buy another GE product ever.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2012

We are a family of eight. We bought the GE Profile with icemaker. The icemaker only makes two glasses of ice every 24 hours. We had a repair man come out and repair or replace old circuit boards in the refrigerator due to the problem with its workmanship. Is there any way you can tell me why the icemaker only makes two glasses of ice? Please get back to me as soon as possible. When I replaced the circuit boards, that cost me over $600 in repair, bill and parts. I'm very dissatisfied with the workmanship of this product. I have been buying GE for many years.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

My GE model GSL22JFRE refrigerator with ice maker and water dispenser stopped functioning properly one year after warranty expired. I called GE for a service and the repair tech replaced the broken part. The part the tech replaced stopped working one week later. I will not recommend or purchase another General Electric Appliance. Average life span of a refrigerator is 8 to 10 years, the one didn't even come close.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2000

I purchased a Monogram series icemaker from GE. We had no problems until about a month after operation the unit began to cavitate periodically. I have had a service technician come out and look at the unit at which time he replaced certain parts.

The icemaker worked fine for a week and then began to have the same problem. GE sent another service technician and because the problem did not happen while he was present they claim there is no problem.

GE Icemakers Company Information