4.76/5
Based on 17 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

17 GE Generators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

GE Generators are well built and seem very durable. Are not too loud. Not too quiet to forget either. They work very easy and can be stored without breaking or damaging. However, while it feels like I made a professional top choice, they should make them run more efficiently and smoothly at all costs to save on energy. Work on the noise levels also. Some parts of it can rust from not being in use and I'm not sure why. Also they don't need to weigh so much. Make them powerful but lighter. However, they are still much better than a Yamaha that's just too loud and breaks easy.

Original review: June 6, 2018

It's far more portable and a lot less complicated and finicky than other brands I've owned or tested while shopping for my current GE. However, the noise it produces can be annoying and too loud in some settings. If there was some way, like an attachment, to muffle the sound in certain situations I think that would be a big seller. I've had almost no problems with it in the time I've had the GE generator. It's been great to have when out camping and once when he had a power outage. I'm considering bringing it tailgating if it's permitted by the stadium nearby where we live.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 4, 2018

GE Generators is easy to manage. But I need to have one with multiple plugins to pull a number of sources in my home. I also need an easy start ready one because I don't have the time to wait around and seeing if it will start. Also, I need one that has capabilities to run multiple sources such as appliances, machines, television and electric sources.

Having one that runs multiple things is better because then I don't have to unplug and replug everything in at different times. It is so inconvenient to have to only use one of two sources of things when you could use so much more. Furthermore, I wish it had more plugins. Oftentimes, some are so basic that they don't have all the buttons and whistles to run as much as one needs. I would improve the power capacity though, it helps when more power is used to run items in my home. So far, I have not had any trouble. It has ran good when I needed it the most. When we have power outages that last for hours I need to rely on the generators because they are my only source of light in the house.

Original review: June 2, 2018

It has been great and runs smooth. Easy to operate and isn’t super loud like the older models were. Running quietly is important to us because we run it at night time while camping and it doesn’t keep us awake all night long. The limited warranty that GE has on it is great to me. The portability has been great to us too. The return policy was also a nice touch.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The GE generator works great and it's easy to start and fill. I like how long it last and how much you can have plugged into it all at once. It is enough to keep enough power and is always ready to go when the power goes out. We need it and we love it and it didn't cost too much. But they could make it larger and have it use propane so we wouldn't have to constantly keep refilling the gas when the power went out. It would automatically do it itself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Generators?

Original review: May 31, 2018

My GE generator is quieter than most. The sound is not so loud that it is horrible. It's also auto fed by a gas line and is large enough to provide power to most of the house so we don't have to worry about turning things off so it blows up. It is wonderful that we always have power. No matter how much wind or rain and when all the rest of the street is out of power we have enough to be comfortable. However, I dislike that my GE generator is very large which makes it tough to mask. It is very much seen and something that we have to walk around.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have been very satisfied with the overall experience and performance of the GE Generator that I purchased. I am very pleased with the parts and labor warranty, even though I haven't needed to use it, it's always reassuring to know that it's there. I like the amount of horsepower available and a continuous fuel supply from either natural gas or liquid propane. It's very dependable and reliable but if I were going to use it for longer periods of time or for a bigger space I might have some recommendations.

Original review: May 28, 2018

General Electric has come so far in the generator business. I always brought appliances for my home from this company at least eight generators in the past. 2nd and 3rd Generation generators none and stood up like this new one out in 2017. I haven't found one that has a signature protection as this one offers and I would recommend it to anyone who is going to be stepping out. I use it for my company and my home. I also have recommended my wife using it as an on-the-go electrical supply for emergencies whenever she's on the road like that song On the Road Again. I really got up and about GE and now I'm on the road again little bit of gas and I'm on the road again.

The overload circuit fault switch calculates the amount of current a particular amount of amperage needed to power the appliance and uses the current draw feature to assure circuit protection. I will continue to buy this product in the future because it is always been there when I needed it and it is never solve it or burned and applying to other than I've had plugged into it with this new phone and protection.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I like that the GE generator started easily and gave consistent energy unlike the others we had. It was easily movable and provided an alternative to the electric company here. Gas was a little expensive but after it was said and done, it still saved us quite a bit of money compared to the electric company. However, the noise is extremely loud and I do not like that it sounded like a lawn mower running all night. We had to go back to regular electric company because neighbors complained.

Noise pollution after 10 pm is against the law where we are. And we could not sleep in 100 degree weather just because our neighbors were not compassionate about our situation. Also, the fumes from the generator were very off putting. We moved it to the other side of the house but that neighbor on that side complained it messed with his asthma. If GE made a generator that was solar, I would sell off everything else to purchase it again if it offered cleaner and quieter service.

Original review: May 26, 2018

GE is technologically advanced and is best suited for my purposes. I like that it has low gasoline consumption and has very useful safety features. The product is very durable and long lasting. It also comes at an affordable price rate. I like all of the current features that make this generator a premium product. My overall experience with this generator has been above and beyond my expectations. I find it very useful and easy to start and power down. I have been using it around a year now and I have noticed no visible change in the performance of this product. I suggest that anyone who needs a generator buy this product.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My overall experience has been great. I have had power when other people nearby have been out for days and I really have come to love and trust my generator. I really like that GE provides consistent quality and results and I can really depend on it during storms to make my life easier and stress free. It is a very high quality product. I love that I only have to make sure it’s filled and serviced and I never have to worry about being out of power. I really love the generator and all the change its brought into me and my family’s life. I can always count on it and every feature always works properly every time.

Original review: May 24, 2018

GE is a well known brand, they have created many products including washers, dryers, etc. I just prefer a big brand that has been around for a long time, it shows how truly trustworthy that they are. It is a gas guzzler though! But, what generator isn't? It powers my whole house effectively and does what I need it to do, which is all I could ask for. It's a great working generator. I have had to use it about 3 times, probably more soon. In Arkansas, the weather is crazy so sometimes we have to rely on something like that!

Original review: May 23, 2018

GE has one of the best generators. It has helped me in our times of need because we have lots of power outages because of weather and hurricanes and we don’t have power for a few days and generators give me power. I love the fact that GE Generator is very powerful and it has good horsepower. You don't really need to plug it long and it last very long whenever I need it to perform. My overall experience was very good. Cleaning the generator was perpetually easy and storage of the generator was easy as well. It was lightweight and could be moved with the greatest of ease.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The GE generator I use kicks on immediately when there is a power outage. It is a single phase 120/240 with an evolution controller and external viewing window. It has a sound attenuated aluminum enclosure that is so quiet that sometimes I go outside to see if it is on. This generator will run on different fuel sources such as natural gas or propane and has a 5 year warranty... I've had my GE generator for three years and there hasn't been any operational problems.

Original review: May 19, 2018

It's water powered so it's very easy to use and no hassle. It's also good now that I don't have to pay any electric bill. GE is a great brand if they made such a wonderful generator. It's eco friendly so good. I just can't stop using it. The only thing I would improve is its casing. It seems very weak.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I like that size of the generator. I also like that it is easy to maintain and to store when it's not being used. I like the reviews that I heard on this brand that's what made me more happy purchase the generator. When I purchased this GE generator for one hundred and seventy five dollars I had thoughts of things I would dislike on it, because it was really inexpensive but after using it I don't really dislike anything about this generator.

Make it easier to clean though. Also, if they included tools to clean it better. Or maybe they could of put tools we could purchase thing or tools separately from the generator. Or maybe better instructions on how to clean it. But all in all I really like how the generator works and run. It could be a little quieter. But that's not really a issue. My experience with GE generator has been very pleasant. We used it for radio and to charge phones and cameras at the end of our camping days. I felt like I left a lot of gas behind but other than that it was a good experience.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I like the GE generator's durability that enables the use of the product easily and effectively every time I need it again and again. It's been reliable during camping trips and the few times it was needed at home. It's always capable no matter what I need to use it for and provides immediate and solid power when we have a electrical outage and need light or energy. It's designed in a relevant fashion for my use and I'm consistently satisfied with its performance.

GE Generators expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE designs and manufactures products across many sectors, including power and water, oil and gas and aviation. It is also a common brand for consumer power products and appliances. Its standby generators and transfer switches are designed to provide backup power for home and commercial needs.

• Residential generators: GE’s line of residential generators includes nine models ranging in output from 8,000-60,000 watts per hour. The smaller models can power small properties with low natural gas pressure and come with a comprehensive five-year warranty. The larger models have the Symphony II power management feature, which allows you to manage where power is directed to help you power your entire house with lower wattage. Large home models also include a five-year limited parts and labor warranty.

• Commercial generators: GE’s commercial-grade generators come in six models ranging in output from 35,000-62,000 watts per hour and include single- and three-phase units. All commercial generators come with a five-year limited parts and labor warranty, a low oil pressure shutdown feature, remote monitoring and can run on natural gas or liquid propane.

• Transfer switches: GE includes transfer switches with each model of home standby generator. There are three different types of switches for different sized homes: 50, 200 and 400 Amp. Small properties can use a 50 Amp switch while larger properties with larger generators need the larger transfer switches. Once you know how big of a generator you need, you can get a transfer switch that matches that generators wattage output.

• Sizing calculator: GE includes a sizing calculator online to help you determine the correct size generator for your property. It includes all essential appliances, allowing you to select any additional high-wattage appliance you may wish to power in the event of an outage.

• Pricing: GE lists all pricing for its home standby generators online. They range in price from $2,199-$17,999. Commercial generator pricing can be obtained upon request.

• Best for: consumers needing residential or commercial backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs