Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

17 GE Generators Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 7, 2018

GE Generators are well built and seem very durable. Are not too loud. Not too quiet to forget either. They work very easy and can be stored without breaking or damaging. However, while it feels like I made a professional top choice, they should make them run more efficiently and smoothly at all costs to save on energy. Work on the noise levels also. Some parts of it can rust from not being in use and I'm not sure why. Also they don't need to weigh so much. Make them powerful but lighter. However, they are still much better than a Yamaha that's just too loud and breaks easy.

Original review: May 23, 2018

GE has one of the best generators. It has helped me in our times of need because we have lots of power outages because of weather and hurricanes and we don’t have power for a few days and generators give me power. I love the fact that GE Generator is very powerful and it has good horsepower. You don't really need to plug it long and it last very long whenever I need it to perform. My overall experience was very good. Cleaning the generator was perpetually easy and storage of the generator was easy as well. It was lightweight and could be moved with the greatest of ease.

Get expert buying tips about Generators delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

GE Generators is easy to manage. But I need to have one with multiple plugins to pull a number of sources in my home. I also need an easy start ready one because I don't have the time to wait around and seeing if it will start. Also, I need one that has capabilities to run multiple sources such as appliances, machines, television and electric sources.

Having one that runs multiple things is better because then I don't have to unplug and replug everything in at different times. It is so inconvenient to have to only use one of two sources of things when you could use so much more. Furthermore, I wish it had more plugins. Oftentimes, some are so basic that they don't have all the buttons and whistles to run as much as one needs. I would improve the power capacity though, it helps when more power is used to run items in my home. So far, I have not had any trouble. It has ran good when I needed it the most. When we have power outages that last for hours I need to rely on the generators because they are my only source of light in the house.

Original review: May 28, 2018

General Electric has come so far in the generator business. I always brought appliances for my home from this company at least eight generators in the past. 2nd and 3rd Generation generators none and stood up like this new one out in 2017. I haven't found one that has a signature protection as this one offers and I would recommend it to anyone who is going to be stepping out. I use it for my company and my home. I also have recommended my wife using it as an on-the-go electrical supply for emergencies whenever she's on the road like that song On the Road Again. I really got up and about GE and now I'm on the road again little bit of gas and I'm on the road again.

The overload circuit fault switch calculates the amount of current a particular amount of amperage needed to power the appliance and uses the current draw feature to assure circuit protection. I will continue to buy this product in the future because it is always been there when I needed it and it is never solve it or burned and applying to other than I've had plugged into it with this new phone and protection.

Original review: June 6, 2018

It's far more portable and a lot less complicated and finicky than other brands I've owned or tested while shopping for my current GE. However, the noise it produces can be annoying and too loud in some settings. If there was some way, like an attachment, to muffle the sound in certain situations I think that would be a big seller. I've had almost no problems with it in the time I've had the GE generator. It's been great to have when out camping and once when he had a power outage. I'm considering bringing it tailgating if it's permitted by the stadium nearby where we live.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Generators?

Original review: June 2, 2018

It has been great and runs smooth. Easy to operate and isn’t super loud like the older models were. Running quietly is important to us because we run it at night time while camping and it doesn’t keep us awake all night long. The limited warranty that GE has on it is great to me. The portability has been great to us too. The return policy was also a nice touch.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The GE generator works great and it's easy to start and fill. I like how long it last and how much you can have plugged into it all at once. It is enough to keep enough power and is always ready to go when the power goes out. We need it and we love it and it didn't cost too much. But they could make it larger and have it use propane so we wouldn't have to constantly keep refilling the gas when the power went out. It would automatically do it itself.

Original review: May 20, 2018

The GE generator I use kicks on immediately when there is a power outage. It is a single phase 120/240 with an evolution controller and external viewing window. It has a sound attenuated aluminum enclosure that is so quiet that sometimes I go outside to see if it is on. This generator will run on different fuel sources such as natural gas or propane and has a 5 year warranty... I've had my GE generator for three years and there hasn't been any operational problems.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I like that the GE generator started easily and gave consistent energy unlike the others we had. It was easily movable and provided an alternative to the electric company here. Gas was a little expensive but after it was said and done, it still saved us quite a bit of money compared to the electric company. However, the noise is extremely loud and I do not like that it sounded like a lawn mower running all night. We had to go back to regular electric company because neighbors complained.

Noise pollution after 10 pm is against the law where we are. And we could not sleep in 100 degree weather just because our neighbors were not compassionate about our situation. Also, the fumes from the generator were very off putting. We moved it to the other side of the house but that neighbor on that side complained it messed with his asthma. If GE made a generator that was solar, I would sell off everything else to purchase it again if it offered cleaner and quieter service.

Original review: May 26, 2018

GE is technologically advanced and is best suited for my purposes. I like that it has low gasoline consumption and has very useful safety features. The product is very durable and long lasting. It also comes at an affordable price rate. I like all of the current features that make this generator a premium product. My overall experience with this generator has been above and beyond my expectations. I find it very useful and easy to start and power down. I have been using it around a year now and I have noticed no visible change in the performance of this product. I suggest that anyone who needs a generator buy this product.

GE Generators expert review by ConsumerAffairs

GE designs and manufactures products across many sectors, including power and water, oil and gas and aviation. It is also a common brand for consumer power products and appliances. Its standby generators and transfer switches are designed to provide backup power for home and commercial needs.

• Residential generators: GE’s line of residential generators includes nine models ranging in output from 8,000-60,000 watts per hour. The smaller models can power small properties with low natural gas pressure and come with a comprehensive five-year warranty. The larger models have the Symphony II power management feature, which allows you to manage where power is directed to help you power your entire house with lower wattage. Large home models also include a five-year limited parts and labor warranty.

• Commercial generators: GE’s commercial-grade generators come in six models ranging in output from 35,000-62,000 watts per hour and include single- and three-phase units. All commercial generators come with a five-year limited parts and labor warranty, a low oil pressure shutdown feature, remote monitoring and can run on natural gas or liquid propane.

• Transfer switches: GE includes transfer switches with each model of home standby generator. There are three different types of switches for different sized homes: 50, 200 and 400 Amp. Small properties can use a 50 Amp switch while larger properties with larger generators need the larger transfer switches. Once you know how big of a generator you need, you can get a transfer switch that matches that generators wattage output.

• Sizing calculator: GE includes a sizing calculator online to help you determine the correct size generator for your property. It includes all essential appliances, allowing you to select any additional high-wattage appliance you may wish to power in the event of an outage.

• Pricing: GE lists all pricing for its home standby generators online. They range in price from $2,199-$17,999. Commercial generator pricing can be obtained upon request.

• Best for: consumers needing residential or commercial backup power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs