Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

GE Air Conditioners Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We bought a GE window air conditioner at Lowe’s a little over a month ago. It is properly installed, yet within less than an hour or so of being turned on begins to make loud crackling sounds as it fills with ice. Then after a couple of hours it begins shooting out the ice onto my furniture, and I need to shut it off and wait for it to defrost. This morning while lying in bed I was hit on my chest by a piece of ice it shot from across the room. I called GE and spoke with someone (Aden?) who told me that the air conditioner is only made to be turned on for a few hours, not overnight! WTH???! I will NEVER buy a GE air conditioner again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a GE GE AEZ12AVL2 AIR CONDITIONER not 2 years ago and it already quit. It worked for less than one summer and it kind of seemed as if it was not cooling well near the end of the season. I turned it on this year and if wont even cool. Now I find out they stopped making them. I understand why. Because they have some kind of defect. It wasn't even used a year. GE used to make long look lasting, dependable products. What happened? Stop selling things that don't work when you know they are defective. That's what's ruining your brand name. Just like these other importers. Don't just try to clear them out and stick the customer while you unload your garbage when you know it has a manufacturing defect. We wont come back when you shaft us.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I bought a 18000 btu/hr yesterday. After installing, found out it was not cooling and had very little airflow. So now I get to package it back up and take back to the store. I will never purchase any GE products again. Piece of junk. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My unit is so loud while in cooling mode! Yet the unit is very cold. The unit is crazy noisy! I've called GE giving a service company. They say they are too busy. Told GE and now I'm being told I need to find service company!!! Let me say I'm not very happy! Sincerely Navy veteran

Original review: June 21, 2019

Bought a 10,000 BTU air conditioner 2 years ago. Within the first year it done about 5,000 dollars worth damage to the floors and walls around it. Called GE and they told me I had to call a repairman to say that the air conditioner done it. They said th mooey don't work on them. Nobody does. This is the biggest piece of junk I have and I have 5. I will never buy GE anything ever again. Save your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: June 17, 2019

This is the 2nd General Electric air conditioner I’ve bought. This one was the replacement one I bought with a measly $100 goodwill rebate. Both a/c have broke down in the 2nd summer. After reading other reviews I know that it just didn’t randomly pick 2 lemons. Spend a little more money and go with a different brand. I’ll never buy anything from “GENERIC GENERAL ELECTRIC” again! I hope you take my word on this or be ready for some hot air sooner than you think.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I purchased a GE window unit last summer. It was supposed to cool off up to 1100 sq ft. It didn’t even cool off 200 sq ft. I’m addition, it was a waste of the $50 I paid to have it put together and installed. Just two days ago I purchased a 6,000 BTU unit for a small room. It did nothing. Returned it for an 8,000 BTU. The room was so warm when I walked in after an hour that it felt as if the heat was on. Now, I have to once again remove the unit from the window, drag it downstairs, and back to the store. I will NEVER purchase another GE appliance.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

After the first time turning it on, there was an immediate loud, rattling noise that came out of it and it shook the whole window. We tried it one more time, hoping that we could figure it out. When we tried it, we realized that the fan inside of it was broke/unhinged from its proper location. This is a disappointing A/C that we are going to have to go through the hassle of returning.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

GE 14000-BTU window air conditioner - When it got installed in my window, the next morning when I turned it on, it blew my breaker. Even though my wattage is as it requires, this happened two days in a row. I had to hire someone to up my ampage 5 watts. Still, so it won't make my lights flicker, I unplug most things in my place, and turn it on on low and energy saver and slowly plug things in and turn things on. Even then, when the compressor comes on and surges, the lights sometime flicker. Very nerve racking to deal with all day.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I'm just so upset with this GE product. I purchased a GE 12000 BTU (AEL12AVH1) air conditioner summer of 2016 from Home Depot, it worked fabulously for summer of 2016 and summer 2017. Turn on the AC unit on the first hot days of summer 2018, the fan blows and the compressor comes on but no cold air comes out. Called for repairs, he said it would cost more to fix it than its worth. He said there's a leak and no coolant is in there. I'm crushed as I paid good money for this unit and it still looks brand new. I will never buy a GE product ever again.

GE Washing Machines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

General Electric is an internationally recognized leader in digital technologies. In addition to innovating, developing and selling technology around the world, GE has also provided billions of dollars in financing for other businesses to use for growth. GE has air conditioning solutions for both homes and businesses.

• Wall and window air conditioners for home: GE sells both wall and window air conditioners for home use at reasonable prices. These are great for smaller homes, apartments and condominiums that don’t need a central air conditioning system.

• Commercial air conditioners: GE’s Zoneline commercial air conditioners are great for hotels, hospitals, senior citizen communities and other businesses that would benefit from a single-room air conditioning solution.

• Easy to find: Use the website’s handy “where to buy” feature to find a commercial or home air conditioner distributor in your area.

• Warehouse: Perfect for consumers who aren’t concerned about getting the latest model of air conditioner or other appliance, GE’s online warehouse offers significant discounts on major appliances. They even include free delivery and hassle-free seven-day returns.

• Support videos: When reading instructions isn’t enough, watch how to fix common appliance issues with GE’s extensive library of support videos, all available online for free.

• Best for: Businesses, hospitals, hotels and homeowners who need a wall or window air conditioning unit.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team