2. Homeowners

GE Air Conditioners

GE Air Conditioners
Shop on Appliances Connection
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

GE Air Conditioners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Air Conditioners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

We are now in the process of returning our THIRD GE window unit in less than 2 months. All with the same exact problem. The compressor won't kick on and the display panel doesn't work. The unit thinks someone is constantly pushing the up button so it keeps setting itself to 86 degrees. ALL 3 Units have done this. This is no coincidence. GE just makes terrible window units. The first 2 were smaller 115 volts and the 3rd was a bigger 230 volt. Size, voltage, and cost obviously don't matter. And even if we opted to have the motherboard replaced to fix the problem, we couldn't because they are made in China and are all on backorder. Do Not waste your time or money with a GE window unit. We will be going with a different brand this time.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Bought GE air conditioner for my bedroom. Only Used it 4 months (June- Sept 2019) and didn’t use again until this June. After 2 weeks started making crazy noise and freezing up. Also shooting water out front. 2 days past warranty. Had to purchase another and it sure wasn’t a GE.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 9, 2020

Worst period, window 8lb mauls. ac period. I have seen. Red filter light is on blinking, not way to reset, even after cleaning filter, WiFi connectivity isn't there- button will not light up nor is there any indication on Wifi that its is emitting. Temp controls are way off. If set for 78, temps range from 67-85. Can't uninstall it as I am disabled now. Am tempted to unbolt it, drop to outside and hold a media event, with 8lb mauls.

Original review: June 17, 2020

I've owned this GE smart air conditioner for maybe a month. Today the filter light was on. Soni took it out and rinsed it then put it back in. Light went out. Then 2hrs later it's all iced up. I had to turn it off because it was not cooling for one and it was making such loud noise I was afraid it was about to just blow up. This air conditioner was $400! I've had it a month! Now I gotta haul it out of the window and back down 2 flights of stairs and hope I can get it into my car. This this barely a month old wth????

Original review: May 28, 2020

I thought I was buying a better quality unit by going with a GE model. I am very disappointed in this product and the warranty. The unit simply will not turn on and work at all after only a month of use. When it did work, it worked well. All of a sudden it stopped working. Tried everything to remedy. Reset the plug, cleaned the filter which was not even dirty, did not run long enough to accumulate. Keyboard pad lit up completely every light was on. Then it just died. Will not turn on. So now trying to use the 1 year warranty it supposedly came with. Impossible!

I registered the unit online and when I call it says I have no account. Cant talk to a representative because was on hold forever and no one answered. No clear instructions on how to use warranty. No clear instructions on how to contact them to ask about warranty. Did call the number listed on the owner's manual and got nowhere. This the second window air conditioner I am dissatisfied with. I bought a small window unit years ago that worked but would freeze up constantly in the middle of the night. I live in Florida so very humid. I chalked this one up to it simply being an inexpensive unit that did work to some degree, however would never buy another one.

This latest one I thought I was buying a better model, and would have less issues. I was wrong, and now I cant seem to get anything done about it. So I guess i am just out my money, and now have to buy another AC unit to replace this Non Working GE unit. Which I can barely afford right now. I will never purchase another GE Window AC, or for that matter any GE product of any kind. Done and Done! Buyer Beware!!!!

Original review: May 23, 2020

Bought a General Electric window unit air conditioner (Model GE Air conditioner AER05LX L1) at the end of last summer when one of my old units conked out. As it was at the end of season and we had a cool snap, I waited on installing it until this year. After installing it (and two other units by a different manufacturer) it worked fine. Then we had a couple days of rain and lower temp where the unit was turned off. After the rain and when temp started to rise, I turned it back on only to have it literally spewing water out the unit into the room from the fan compartment. I removed the plate over the optional 'max drain' hole. Some water drained out. I turned the unit on again, and it still spewed water into the room. I'm talking needing a bath towel to sop it all up with.

Checked the drains, not clogged and water level down in the outside of the unit. This is in the inside compartment and it is not draining. Unit is mounted exactly the same way the other units are and they are working fine and no problems. Why there should be a massive amount of rainwater inside the inside fan compartment can only be a design flaw. Rain water should not be getting into the inside fan compartment.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

We bought a GE window air conditioner at Lowe’s a little over a month ago. It is properly installed, yet within less than an hour or so of being turned on begins to make loud crackling sounds as it fills with ice. Then after a couple of hours it begins shooting out the ice onto my furniture, and I need to shut it off and wait for it to defrost. This morning while lying in bed I was hit on my chest by a piece of ice it shot from across the room. I called GE and spoke with someone (Aden?) who told me that the air conditioner is only made to be turned on for a few hours, not overnight! WTH???! I will NEVER buy a GE air conditioner again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a GE GE AEZ12AVL2 AIR CONDITIONER not 2 years ago and it already quit. It worked for less than one summer and it kind of seemed as if it was not cooling well near the end of the season. I turned it on this year and if wont even cool. Now I find out they stopped making them. I understand why. Because they have some kind of defect. It wasn't even used a year. GE used to make long look lasting, dependable products. What happened? Stop selling things that don't work when you know they are defective. That's what's ruining your brand name. Just like these other importers. Don't just try to clear them out and stick the customer while you unload your garbage when you know it has a manufacturing defect. We wont come back when you shaft us.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I bought a 18000 btu/hr yesterday. After installing, found out it was not cooling and had very little airflow. So now I get to package it back up and take back to the store. I will never purchase any GE products again. Piece of junk. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My unit is so loud while in cooling mode! Yet the unit is very cold. The unit is crazy noisy! I've called GE giving a service company. They say they are too busy. Told GE and now I'm being told I need to find service company!!! Let me say I'm not very happy! Sincerely Navy veteran

GE Washing Machines author review by ConsumerAffairs

General Electric is an internationally recognized leader in digital technologies. In addition to innovating, developing and selling technology around the world, GE has also provided billions of dollars in financing for other businesses to use for growth. GE has air conditioning solutions for both homes and businesses.

• Wall and window air conditioners for home: GE sells both wall and window air conditioners for home use at reasonable prices. These are great for smaller homes, apartments and condominiums that don’t need a central air conditioning system.

• Commercial air conditioners: GE’s Zoneline commercial air conditioners are great for hotels, hospitals, senior citizen communities and other businesses that would benefit from a single-room air conditioning solution.

• Easy to find: Use the website’s handy “where to buy” feature to find a commercial or home air conditioner distributor in your area.

• Warehouse: Perfect for consumers who aren’t concerned about getting the latest model of air conditioner or other appliance, GE’s online warehouse offers significant discounts on major appliances. They even include free delivery and hassle-free seven-day returns.

• Support videos: When reading instructions isn’t enough, watch how to fix common appliance issues with GE’s extensive library of support videos, all available online for free.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team