Best Garage Door Repair Companies
It’s crucial to keep your garage door in top shape. If you need quality garage door work, check out our guide to choose the best garage door repair company for you. Having an operating garage door increases your home’s security, prevents weather from damaging your belongings and prevents injuries to you and your family. We looked at common repairs, how much garage door repair costs and what licenses and insurance a company should have.
- Our recommendations are based on what reviewers say.
- 3,743,096 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
Find the best garage door repair services near you
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- West Palm Beach
Common garage door repairs
Garage doors have many moving parts, which means multiple things can go wrong with them. Some of the most common problems that homeowners experience with their garage doors include:
- Garage remote doesn’t work: If you’ve checked the batteries, it could be a frequency issue. This could require new equipment or rewiring your existing unit. Either way, you need to hire a garage door contractor for the job.
- Wall switch doesn’t work: When the door can be opened with the remote but not the wall switch, there could be an issue with the circuit board or wiring. This repair requires experience with electrical wiring and garage door openers.
- The light is out: Unless it’s a basic bulb replacement, a light not working could be a sensor issue that requires work on the unit’s circuit board. This could also be an indication that your motor is broken and needs to be replaced.
- Garage door won’t close: There are a variety of reasons a garage door won’t close. It could be a misalignment of the tracks, a spring that is not calibrated correctly or malfunctioning photo eyes. Track alignment and spring issues may require new parts, while adjusting photo eyes might just take an experienced hand.
- Garage door won’t open: You may need to adjust or replace a spring if your garage door won’t open. It could also be a problem with your remote or wall switch.
- Garage door is extremely noisy: Excess noise could be the result of old or out-of-alignment tracks. It could also be a symptom of your system needing lubricant.
Garage door repair cost
Depending on what needs to be repaired, the average garage door repair job costs between $85 and $500, which includes parts and labor. Replacing your garage door typically costs between $1,000 to $3,000 or more. The total cost of garage door installation depends on the type and size of the door you choose — custom-designed or large commercial garage doors cost more than standard residential garage doors bought from a showroom. Oversized or custom garage doors may also require a more complex installation process.
Upon arriving to fix your garage door, technicians determine the exact issue and give you an accurate quote before doing the job. Some companies provide free estimates, but others may charge a service call or trip fee. Be sure to get estimates from several different companies.
Common garage door issues and average repair costs
|Issue||Average cost to repair|
|Broken springs||$50 - $300|
|Snapped cable||$100 - $200|
|Bent track||$125 - $200|
|Misaligned sensors||$85 - $100|
|Opener replacement||$100 - $200|
|Motor replacement||$300 - $500|
Garage door repair FAQ
- What is a garage door tuneup?
- A garage door tuneup, which typically costs between $60 and $85, ensures your door is working correctly and doesn’t need anything repaired or replaced. Most contractors use a safety checklist and test the door for track, spring and sensor issues. Technicians tighten screws, lubricate the tracks and clean the unit to keep it working well. If any significant repairs are needed, that adds to the bill.
- What do I do if I’m locked out of my garage?
- If you are locked out of your garage, you may have to open it by using a different entrance or calling a locksmith or garage door contractor. In emergencies, you can cut a hole in the door to access the emergency cord, but this does permanent damage to your door.
- What do I do if my garage door won’t open?
- If your door doesn't open, check to see if you’ve experienced a power outage. If not, check the batteries in your remote. If you still can’t get out, use the emergency cord and call a garage door repair company to fix the issue.
- What is the standard garage door size?
- Single car garage doors typically run 7 to 8 feet by 8 to 9 feet.
- What are the different garage door types?
Garage door types include:
- Sectional doors, which are the most common style
- Roll-up doors, which are popular in commercial settings
- Hinged doors that either go up or to the side and tilt.
Garage doors also come in various architectural styles, such as carriage doors or contemporary styles, and are made from multiple materials, including wood, steel or glass. Residential and commercial garage doors come in a variety of materials, styles, sizes and price ranges.
- Why is my garage door noisy?
- If your garage door is noisy, the tracks likely need lubrication or cleaning, but there may be a more significant problem. A repair contractor can diagnose the issue and make any necessary adjustments for you. Many garage door contractors provide free inspections and estimates in this situation.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.