GAF-ELK Materials Corporation

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased and install GAF Cross Timbers decking a number of years back, and I've had nothing but problems ever since. The decking is going moldy. The fascia expands and buckles. And the decking is going all chalky. I've never tried to obtain compensation, because I assumed that the company was bankrupt, and I would be wasting my time. Is there any relief or lawsuit for damages?

We installed Cross timbers decking on our house in 2006. Since we had it installed we've had nothing but problems with stains, black mold looking stains, deck feeling like it is disintegrating (sawdust feel all the time), etc. We were assured by the sales folks and our installer that this was the best when we wanted to install a competitor's product. What a costly mistake we made.

My house was constructed in 2009 using 2000 sq ft of GAF/Elk Crosstimbers decking on the porch and deck. Over the past several years the boards have bent and twisted to the point that they are separating the deck/porch frame from the house. I have had a structural engineer inspect the deck and he confirmed that the decking was properly installed and the twisting of the boards were causing the framework to separate from the house. GAF customer service refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem and won't send out a rep. to discuss the issue. Next stop is legal action. Stay away from GAF/Elk and their products.

After my house was burned down in Oct 2008, I was required to use a product that met California WUI fire standards to replace my deck. This meant I had no choice in products, and my contractor replaced my redwood deck with an ELK fire treated deck.

Within two months, I first noticed odd discoloration of the boards; some large greasy looking spots that seemed to ooze up out of the boards, and numerous small black dots. In addition, even rain water left stains on the material.

I filed a complaint, and they denied it with a cursory, snotty, from telling me it needed to be washed (even though it had only been installed for a couple of months, and I had not even used it). After the contractor cleaned it in accordance with their instructions, they changed their story and claimed the discoloration was due to mold caused by the distributor storing the material wrong.

After a year, numerous new defects emerged. First, one 16ft board buckled, creating numerous "s" curves. The contractor came out and nailed it down. At the same time, the contractor reattached the fascia that had already come loose.

In the past few months, numerous other boards have also expanded or contracted, causing the s curves, all across the deck, and numerous 1 inch gaps between the boards.

Now other boards are starting to disintegrate; with craters developing in the face of the boards and the expansion has caused the fascia to detach. In addition, the rails and posts are breaking down--covering your hand in dust when you touch them.

I purchased 1,700 square feet of this companies GAF ELK Crosstimber exterior deck product. The company refused to honor a complaint against them for defective material. The decking was installed on December 22, 2009. A representative of their company came to my residence within a couple of weeks after they were informed of the problem. The company refuses to pay for repair or replacement of deck boards that are stained throughout. The material is defective. The material cost is in excess of $15,000 plus the installation cost of $5,000. I now have a deck that is supposed to be Cedar in color with white spots all over it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GAF-ELK Materials Corporation?

This company refused to honor a complaint against them for defective exterior decking material. They refused to pay for repair or replacement of deck boards that are stained, due to their defective material. The material cost in excess of $15,000.00 plus the installation cost of $5,000.00. I now have a deck that is supposed to be cedar in color with white spots all over it.

GAF-ELK Materials Corporation Company Profile