4.0/5 (2042 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About Frontpoint

Frontpoint offers wireless home security packages with professional monitoring and app-based control. New customers work with Frontpoint representatives to find a personalized security solution for their home. Systems come preprogrammed and are designed for easy, do-it-yourself installation. Customers can try a Frontpoint home security system risk-free for 30 days.

Pros

• Month-to-month service available
  • Compatible with Alexa and Google Home
  • Build-your-own system option

Cons

• No professional installation option
  • No lifetime warranty on equipment

Bottom Line

Frontpoint security systems offer high-tech equipment and 24-hour professional monitoring. If you don’t mind installing it yourself, a Frontpoint alarm system could be a smart option for home protection.

Top Frontpoint Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I’ve been with a dozen other security companies and never had such a great experience as I’ve had with Frontpoint. If you’re reading this and having second thoughts spend a litt...

Verified

Frontpoint security was super easy to install and learn how to use. The price is right too. I own a physical medicine clinic and we put up cameras in all the public places to keep...

What is Frontpoint?

Frontpoint is a home security company that offers wireless systems with integrated smart home technologies. The Frontpoint Hub and Keypad act as the system’s command center, with cellular connection to 24/7 professional monitoring. You can control a Frontpoint system using the company app, Google Home or Alexa. The company gives customers the option to choose one of its home security packages or design their own system with add-ons like cameras and sensors. Each system comes with a 30-day, risk-free trial.

Frontpoint security costs

At the time of publishing, Frontpoint security package pricing ranges from $99 to $479.90. Package options include Safe Home Starter, Safe Home Everyday, Safe Home Select and Safe Home Preferred. You can also build your own system. The company partners with Affirm to offer 0% APR financing to those who qualify. The cost for monitoring is $50 a month.

Frontpoint security packages

All Frontpoint alarm packages come with the central Hub and Keypad, at least two door and window sensors, at least one motion sensor, a set of window decals, a yard sign and door stickers.

Safe Home StarterSafe Home EverydaySafe Home SelectSafe Home Preferred

Safe Home Everyday$295.9423
Safe Home Select$383.9224
Safe Home Preferred$479.9025

Frontpoint monitoring costs

Monitoring with Frontpoint costs $50 a month. Both plans come with crash and smash protection, automated system checks, remote access and control, mobile alerts and unique user codes. The Ultimate Plan also includes motion-triggered alerts, light control, live video streaming and smart lock control.

Frontpoint security equipment

Frontpoint’s build-your-own option lets you design the right protection package for your home. You can mix and match equipment if you have more specific needs than what’s offered with Frontpoint security packages. In addition to sensors and indoor cameras, Frontpoint has a variety of popular security equipment add-ons.

frontpoint smart door lock
Smart Door Lock
  • Free cloud video storage
  • Bank-grade encryption
  • $119.99*
frontpoint wireless light control
Wireless Light Control
  • Control with system and mobile app
  • Works with lamps and small appliances
  • $39.99*
frontpoint doorbell camera
Doorbell Camera
  • Two-way audio and night vision
  • Comes with three-year warranty
  • $119.99*
frontpoint garage door tilt sensor
Garage Door Tilt Sensor
  • Built-in smart sensor
  • Sends real-time notifications
  • $19.99*

*As of publishing date.

Frontpoint Security FAQ

Do you have to install Frontpoint yourself?
Yes, you have to install Frontpoint yourself. Security equipment devices come preprogrammed to make setup and utilization easier. Each product includes instructions for installation. Frontpoint also posts videos on its website with visual directions.

Even though Frontpoint tries to make it as easy as possible, some consumers still find the installation process difficult or confusing. If you have any issues installing a system, reach out to Frontpoint customer service for guidance.

Can I use Frontpoint without monitoring?
Not really. You can’t get Frontpoint without a monitoring contract, and Frontpoint equipment only works with the monitoring app.
Does Frontpoint have outdoor cameras?
Yes, Frontpoint sells outdoor cameras for $135.99 as of the publishing date. They include nighttime vision with infrared technology.
How much does Frontpoint cost per month?
Frontpoint monitoring costs $50 a month. On the lower end, Frontpoint’s monitoring plan includes 24/7 professional monitoring, automated system checks, mobile alerts and monitoring. For a higher price, you can get features like live streaming, night vision, light and smart lock control and motion-triggered alerts.
What is Frontpoint’s return policy?
Frontpoint has a 30-day risk-free trial period. During this time, customers can install the system in their homes and try it to see if it fits their lifestyle. Within 30 days, customers can return the system using free shipping for a full refund.

Is Frontpoint security good?

Frontpoint provides a selection of prebuilt packages at price points to fit a variety of budgets. It can be a smart option for customers who don’t mind DIY system installation. You can select from packages or customize a system to make sure you have the right amount of protection for your property. The company claims its systems can save you up to 20% on homeowners insurance.

However, some dissatisfied customers described difficulty reaching Frontpoint customer service representatives. If you aren’t sure Frontpoint is right for you, compare Frontpoint vs. ADT or Simplisafe vs. Frontpoint.

Frontpoint Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontpoint?

Original review: May 6, 2021

Frontpoint has good quality for the price and the only thing they might want to do is their magnetics, which is for the doors. They need to make them a little bit larger. The motion sensors don't quite register if you mount a switch to the door and there's no other place to mount the other switch. And if you didn't have the crown molding, what's meant to be mounted on the door would sit flush. But if you put our door with crown molding, one is going to be higher than the other and sometimes, that crown molding on some of the older slash Victorian style houses is thick so it doesn't quite trigger. Beyond that, everything else is great. The set up was self-explanatory and the Frontpoint technicians were awesome.

My mother is elderly so she doesn't negotiate stairs. She generally stays on the ground floor and she doesn't quite understand all these alarms. I told her that she will never have to go in the basement. All the heavy furniture and all the heavy boxes she could never lift are in the basement. So, I was setting it up and I explained it to her that, if you set all the motion detectors for home and they go off from the ground floor, that's fine. And I told her that as long as the alarm is on, if anything triggers below this basement door, you have a break in. If someone breaks in through a window and they open the door, it would set off the alarm.

One more thing I can recommend that'll make it a lot easier for people that are not too tech savvy, like parents or grandparents is for the Frontpoint app. It’s a great app but they can customize it and have them do customized ring tones and notifications. I've recommended Frontpoint to four people and I had gone to my brother's house. He was telling me he was getting Frontpoint but he went with SimpliSafe. He had it in his house for four months and he never set it up. I told him I’ll set it up for him. Either way, they're both simple setups but Frontpoint has got more bang for the buck and a better deal. They are very helpful and anyone I've ever talked to in Frontpoint has great personality.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

We have a Frontpoint system here and another at a place we have in Pennsylvania. When we were putting the sensors around, Frontpoint had misnumbered them. That was a real clown world show there. How could somebody misnumber the sensors when they send them out? The package should be double-checked to make sure that nothing is misnumbered. They were activating it and it was the wrong one. It took a while but we got it resolved. Also, we've had sensors back in Pennsylvania fall off or the battery went dead or had to be replaced. We've had a couple things like that happen over the years but those have all been handled well. All the conversations have been good with the representatives.

We have cameras too and I'm not really happy with that system. The motion detector wasn't being activated and recording all the time. For them to go off, somebody almost has to break and force entry then everything would start being recorded. That's the way it's set now. I would like it to be set that if a deer or a bear walks by, I'd like to be able to look back and see that.

There’s a thing where you have to draw a little box on them. When the wind would blow, it would trigger then we'd start getting all these messages ‘cause it’s hooked up with our phones. But it turned out to be branches. The idea is that if somebody tries to break in, the image will still be recorded and put up which is what we wanted. But I also wanted to be able to record if somebody was up there looking around and coming on the property without permission. I'd want the camera to be able to trigger it. I can't because they're so sensitive. They trigger so easily with motion. We've never been able to resolve that issue and we've tried several times. The cameras here are the same way. If you get a hard rainstorm, it’d do the same thing. The cameras would be going off all the time.

Overall, I would recommend it. The experience has been good. Frontpoint seems to keep up with all the latest stuff coming out. The distance is really good. We have a sensor that’s probably 100-feet away from the main unit and it picks it up. I could also hold off calling the police to make sure that nobody was up there. After two or three false alarms, the cops start charging you. What's good is Frontpoint calls me right away and I call one of us because there are several of us on it. I would say, “It's probably a sensor. We'll check so don't do anything.” It's always been good if that's happened.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Frontpoint's customer service was top notch. They were extremely patient, extremely informative and always responsive. In the first call I had with someone, they answered tons of questions that I had about the system, how it works, and the technology. So, extremely patient, always responsive. If I had an issue or a need to walk through something, they would stay on the line with me as I walked through it. So, the initial set up and conversations were great. Any other questions I've had since then, customer service has been top-notch. I was having a home built in a different city where I was located. So I had my contractor, who was there, just place the devices and the sensors on the doors and windows. They were able to call Frontpoint during their process as well.

The system is really user-friendly. I love that I can access my system with my mobile. When I was using different systems in the past, we didn't have that. So from home I can set and disable my alarm with Frontpoint. I can also monitor if it is open and I can monitor my cameras. Like the other day, I was checking my system and I realized that there were a couple of sensors that were actually not getting monitored.

We called Frontpoint up and we checked every particular one to know which one wasn't on. They confirmed and right there on the phone, we enabled each one of them. So using, monitoring and resolving issues have been an easy work with the system. The one tiny thing that I would like for them to do was to develop a doorbell that was battery-powered as opposed to electric. Unfortunately, the house was a lake home right up in the mountains and we did not power the doorbell. So I have to use a different doorbell for that purpose and have two systems right now at home.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I'm not overly impressed with Frontpoint. Their equipment is not the best manufactured. It appears that when they send out smoke detectors, they are sealed and you can't change batteries in them so when they die, they die. They have a certain lifespan. I had one sent to me that was manufactured in 2014 and I've only been with them for a little over a year. I had another one sent to me recently that was manufactured in 2017. I've had one or two of these go bad already. One of those was not in service right away. The other one was put into service and went bad within a year. They took it back and gave me credit for it but I shouldn't have to be dealing with that. And one time, I had a faulty smoke detector at my staircase and it set off a whole round of my smoke detectors. Once I got rid of that, everything else was fine.

Also, the knowledge of some of the people that you speak to is not always up to snuff. They sold me a water flood detector to go down in my crawlspace, which I cannot get down into myself. In selling it to me, they did not inform me that once it goes off, it has to be manually reset. It's useless to me because it went off already and it's down in my crawlspace. It doesn't work now and I have to buy another one.

I have set my alarm off twice in the recent past while going out the front door. I don't normally do that. But the past couple of weeks, I've been slow getting out the front door. I forgot my house keys to lock up going out so I had to go back and get them. I managed to set the alarm off. Even though they see that someone's going out, I presumed that they would call and check what happened but they didn't.

I'm thinking of canceling the contract, even though it may cost me several $100 to do that because I have a contract. In fact, I was thinking of writing a letter to the Attorney General's office and trying to get something going that people shouldn't have to sign a contract for something so important as home security to change a plan because you lay a lot of money out for the equipment.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

In the beginning, The Frontpoint system was pretty confusing to set up. We had about nine doors and windows alarmed on our old house and part of the areas was downstairs. But the master bedroom we didn't have alarmed for the simple fact that it was way up off the ground. You would virtually have to have a ladder to get to any of the windows. Ground level, down where the family room and basement area would be, we had windows right at the ground, so that was a likely point. I had to go through with the techs to help get set it up.

The features of the system is great. You're able to set it for motion or you're able to have the peace of mind that you go to sleep at night, you could have the alarm set, or if you're gone, you can have it set for someone opening a window or breaking glass on a window to get in. We have a large dog and a cat, so one of the biggest concerns that we if they can trigger the alarm. But when this question was addressed, some people from Frontpoint that we talked to would say yes and some people would say no. So, from the aspect of product knowledge, they really weren't on the same page.

We sold our two-story home with five bedrooms and a three-car garage and we downsized to a one-story home. Then because of COVID, we can't travel and we don't go anywhere. The contract is three years long, which is way too long. So, my options are to pay the contract off, which now is like $1,000, or continue using and paying monthly for something that I don't use. My alarm system is not even hooked up. So, I'm in a contract that I can't get out of for something that I'm not utilizing. It's just a waste of money. I had called and talked to someone in account management about this and basically, I got a polite, "Tough." So, that was just the way it was. In all fairness, they did give us a 30-day grace period when we moved, which was great 'cause we didn't have to make a payment for 30 days. But if I had to do this all over again, I would never go with them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I no longer have a house. I tried to cancel my service. I was told I had two months left on my contract. I have fulfilled those two months and now cannot get a single person to actually cancel the account. I call. They transfer me and say a manager has to cancel the account. I can't get a manager on the phone to save my life. I wait. I've been on hold over 7x in the past few days trying to cancel this. I've reached out on their chat online and was denied access to a manager and told to call in. I call in they say I need to email. I email, I get no response. I have now filed BBB complaints as well as disputed charges at my bank but I am HOLY HELL pissed at this point.

Why is it so hard to cancel an account? The run around I am getting makes me want to file a lawsuit over the $50 charge just on principle because this is that infuriating. It's been TWO MONTHS NOW. Why is my account not cancelled yet? I started this process TWO MONTHS ago. I've called. Emailed. Used their chat. Literally reached out every way I can and still have no resolution. WTF Frontpoint?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The software doesn't record well based on motion or events. About 50% of events were not recorded even with increased sensitivity. Even my neighbor would come to get my packages for me and it never recorded. IT customer service is rude and condescending and impossible to get a hold of, it always requires a call and being on hold for over 30 minutes. Contract has cancellation provisions for written notice, but they now say you have to call to get a link to cancel, but they intentionally don't take your calls or call you back until after the first to get one more month's fee at 100%. I have switched to the Ring where their software has a continuous recording so when motion isn't triggered you can see what happened. This definitely felt like a bait and switch on customer service.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I was satisfied with Frontpoint until I decided to terminate, where they became aggressive prey, even after the contract was completed. I'm a victim who happens to pay for four extra months after telling them the termination. Here is my piece of advice, if you decide to choose this technology.

1. Don't expect to talk to their live agent quickly after you become a customer. You should anticipate several hours or days.

2. After the contract ended and you decide to terminate the service, you should anticipate paying them a minimum of one more month.

3. You should change your credit/debit number immediately after terminating the services. I didn't do that, and they have continued drawing cash from my account for four months. Alternatively, monitor your account diligently.

4. Don't waste your time and energy explaining and reasoning with the agents, team leader, or supervisor. No matter what you say, they'll read you a scripted message like a robot.

5. Be mindful that there are several loopholes in their contract that trap you. They also change the contract in the middle of the contract period and you are responsible for it. For instance, both telephone and website are necessary to terminate service.

6. You should know that there is another hidden company that controls them. I don't know why that other company is hiding behind their name. If you force them what hinders them from making sensible decisions, they tell you about "other company". Still, after several hours of discussion with agents and supervisors, FrontPoint is not making the ultimate decision.

I wish I had known those six points before choosing this company four years ago.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I’ve had ongoing trouble with the Frontpoint DIY equipment. It went from bad to worse when I finally decided to cancel my Frontpoint service. It is very difficult! 1. There is no way to do it online so I had to dial a phone number. 2. Waited for a call back after several days. 3. They sent a link through their website which did not work properly. 4. The link expired prior to the 72 hours that was originally time frame provided. 5. I had to start from #1 all over again. Don’t enroll with them because they make it very difficult for you to cancel!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

If you want to cancel you must cancel once they send you the appropriate email with link to cancel. You have to sign in to your account and verify the cancellation which I understand, but you must pay an addition monthly fee in order to do so even if your payment was just processed. For them being a security company you would think they could rely on their verification processes of speaking with their client instead of making them go through such a tedious process. Get ready to process a payment immediately in order to cancel. It is just another way to collect more fees. When you are setting up the service of course their service is quick and polite, but once you want to cancel you have to receive a call back, followed by an email followed by a verification process and then a 30 day wait with another monthly fee. DONE.

Frontpoint Company Information