Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Friedrich Air Conditioner Reviews

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Recently installed 4 Friedrich through the wall air conditioning/heating units at over $1000 per unit. They are extremely noisy. Thermostats on units are unreliable. Had an authorized Tech service guy come in to look at them. He agreed they were noisy but couldn't do anything about the noise level or the faulty thermostat. Contacted Friedrich headquarters to no avail. Despite the fact that they are (falsely) marketed as quiet units headquarters guy told me the warranty doesn't cover noise level. He didn't address the thermostat issue at all. Guess that isn't covered either.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I thought this was a top brand. I bought 4 Friedrich air conditioners. They have given me nothing but problems. Break frequently and have had to be replaced countless times. The installation also costs more than just buying new air conditioners every year and is a major headache.

Get expert buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

This 24,000 BTU window air conditioner did not even last three before it started having issues. To start with you had to use the remote after just one year as the buttons on the unit stopped working. After just two and a half years I knew that it was not as cold as it used to be and this was proven just before I replaced it. I took a digital thermometer at the discharge and the coldest it would get was 75.5 degrees. Fast forward two hours after the new LG was installed. I was reading 58.5 degrees on the discharge.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My large Friedrich window unit/heater required a repair costing almost as much as the unit after two years and wasn't covered under the warranty. It was a total loss. The fan motor started making noise and the technician said it needed to be replaced. $450! I'll never buy this name brand again. Very very disappointed. I had over $900 in this unit with the extended warranty. I feel completely ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Wish I could give zero stars. The apartment I purchased several years ago was equipped with a Friedrich wall unit that was at least 25 years old and incredibly loud. I would often turn if off, even in the dead of summer, because I simply couldn't take the noise — it was literally impossible to put the TV loud enough to hear over it. I finally decided to replace it this summer. I was excited to get a new, higher-tech, quieter AC. The installer, who obviously has a deal with the company, only recommended a Friedrich — essentially an updated version of the unit I had. He said it would be quieter because it was so much newer. Showed me a brochure that touted the brand's "QuietMaster" technology. Lol.

Off the bat, the unit I was sold made an intermittent clicking noise. Install company sent a repairman. Seemed to be fixed, but a few hours later, the clicking noise was back. A few weeks later they replaced the unit altogether — only the new one is even louder and more disruptive than the last. There is a constant ringing/buzzing noise above the whoosh of the fan. Occasionally a flutter in the fan too, just for fun. The ringing burrows so deep into my head that I hear it for a while even after the unit shuts off. I have numerous times turned the whole thing off before it reaches the designated set-point temperature because I can't handle the sound. I have even had visitors to my apartment request that I turn it off because of the noise.

Some days I just leave it off entirely, despite the fact that it's summer in NY and we've had temperatures above 85 for weeks. As with the much older model, it is almost impossible to put the television loud enough to hear it clearly over the clatter. The other night I was approaching my building on foot from down the block and heard what I thought was the sound of a very loud generator. I suspected it was on the roof of a neighboring building. As I got closer to home I realized the sound I was hearing was my own AC echoing down the street. As others have pointed out, it sounds like a jet is idling in the wall. Or a refrigeration truck.

Beyond the noise, this hulking, hideous (despite its supposedly sleeker design) machine has plenty of problems: a remote that works only if you point it not at the unit in general, because that would make too much sense, but directly at the small, upward-facing, top-left display panel. It is a wall unit that sits eight feet off the floor. I'm lucky that I have a lofted bedroom, so at least I can walk up a flight of stairs to point the remote down toward the display panel so it will work. Of course that completely defeats the purported convenience of, y'know, a remote. I heard from the install team that they get lots of complaints from people who simply can't use the remote at all because of how their room is configured. If I couldn't use it I would need to keep a full-sized ladder next to my air conditioner in case I needed to make adjustments manually via the display panel. Cool.

The manual is nonsensical and full of mistakes; initial set-up on unit one took about three hours of my life. Even my boyfriend, who is adept at these types of things, pitched in and found the manual infuriating. Also, the tech features the company touts are a joke. The app is not compatible with iPhones; you'd think someone selling you this very costly device would mention that, but instead they just wax on about how great it is that you will be able to use an app to control your machine from anywhere. Except...you won't. (Congratulations, though, Droid users.)

Setting up the Wifi at all was so complicated the installer ultimately connected me with another AC guy at a different company who specializes in helping people with the Friedrich app. (Side note: There are two Friedrich apps available when you do a search in the app store. One apparently is the "wrong" one. The only way I found out was from this guy telling me after the fact, after I'd downloaded the bad one and had all kinds of trouble. Anyone who doesn't have the benefit of help like I did wouldn't know.) He was the one who confessed that the app is not iPhone-compatible, then said, all easy-breezy, that I can just pull up the website via a browser on my phone. Which defeats the purported convenience of, y'know, an app. (By the way, you have to completely log out and then log back in to the site whenever you want to make an adjustment to the controls.)

Then he talked about how great it is that the site shows a bunch of data readings from my machine that are complete gibberish to a consumer but apparently tell repairmen things they might need to know if they ever have to come fix a problem. Um, OK. I don't care about digits, acronyms, and graphs that makes no sense to me. Consumers want a functional *consumer* product. He also said that Friedrich is making improvements to the app "every day." Note to Friedrich: How about don't beta-test your app on consumers who've paid thousands of dollars for a piece of machinery whose manufacturer brags about its technological advancements? Also, the room temperature readings the site shows based on the device's thermostat always seem WAY off. Like by 5-10 degrees.

This machine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,200. With installation/labor, I paid $2,000. For a hunk of junk that is still so loud and irritating I mostly keep it turned off unless it is really sweltering. I purchased the model that heats, too, since the heat in my building is terrible. But I already know I won't be using it this winter because of the noise. This experience has been miserable. Weeks of back and forth with the installer, and it's still not over. I will never, ever buy Friedrich again and would never recommend it to anyone, and I told the installer as much. And if you work with a dealer/installer who only recommends Friedrich and no other brands, run the other way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

On 3rd unit in 3 weeks--horrible quality control. Thru wall unit preexisting so not a lot of options to replace. Poorly made and premium pricing--not a good combination! Rarely write reviews of products but this is so egregious that maybe the company will address these issues.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

On July 16th I had a very expensive, top of the line Friedrich Kuhl KCL28A30A 28000 BTU through the wall unit installed. 2 days later it stopped working, waited a week to get service, only to hear the compressor wasn't kicking on / problem with mother board. Waited 5 more days to get new replacement unit, since Friedrich doesn't repair this model "too new" I was told. Unit worked nicely for next 7 days but unable to use all the bells & whistles built into the process. Timer, Wifi features DO NOT WORK. Then on 8th day SAME PROBLEM, compressor wont kick on. Friedrich does not seem to provide ANY customer service. I have called several times only to be out on hold & once line was finally picked up, it was promptly disconnected. RUDE & UNWORTHY of what this company once stood for.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I wish I had read these reviews first. Sadly, I replaced my old Friedrich through-the-wall which ran for twenty years, with a new one, and while it looks great, the digital panel often stops working all together...this a month after installation. The surge protector built into their plug is not tripped, so it appears to be in a poor display circuit. And forget about trying to set up Wifi, I am convinced it was a marketing gimmick that never was designed to work. Sadly, I could find no other brand to fit the sleeve, so instead of replacing this, based on these reviews, I will hire a carpenter to resize this for another brand.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Brand new Friedrich air conditioner worked fine until just before the warranty ended. The control panel would not work. They repaired it and then several months later, same issue. Now they will not do anything. Poor quality + poor service = never a Friedrich product again.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had a brand new unit installed in my garden. It cost $3300 with labor. After one month of minor usage, it stopped working and displayed error code CH 38 (the four way valve is abnormal). Now I have to wait for a repair or a replacement unit, meanwhile summer is getting hotter and my garden is adversely affected. I did not expect a brand new unit to break down after just one month, especially for how much it cost. This is just an example of poor manufacturing.

Friedrich Air Conditioner expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Friedrich is an air conditioner manufacturing company with a long history of technological innovation. Founded in 1883, Friedrich developed one of the first food refrigeration systems. By the 1950s, Friedrich was a leader in the commercial refrigeration industry and expanded to air conditioning units. They now specialize in both residential and commercial air conditioning systems, sold at dealers nationwide.

• Manufacturing focus: Friedrich prides itself on manufacturing only air conditioners. Unlike other major manufacturing companies, it does not offer other consumer appliances, instead focusing only on air conditioners in order to be an industry leader and expert.

• Product selection: Friedrich offers many residential air conditioning options, including window units, through-the-wall room air conditioners, ductless systems, portable units and air purifiers. The systems are available in cooling only or cooling and heating to fit your needs.

• Product rebates: Friedrich offers several rebate programs to help you save money on your new air conditioner. Check the website to see which models are currently eligible for a rebate.

• Innovative remote-controlling technology: Friedrich uses a web portal called Friedrich Link to help you manage your air conditioning units. You can use any Internet-connected mobile device or computer to set up an account and control your air conditioner remotely. You can even set up your units on a schedule to automatically go on or off at set times during the week.

• Helpful website and customer service: Air conditioning units can be complicated, but Friedrich’s helpful support website offers information about each unit, how-to videos, downloadable manuals and brochures, frequently asked questions and more. Friedrich’s customer service representatives are available by phone, mail or through a contact form on their website.

• Best for: homeowners, renters and business owners who need air conditioning solutions.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team