2. Homeowners
  3. Air Conditioners

Shop on Appliances Connection
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.37/5

Friedrich Air Conditioner Shop on Appliances Connection

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Need help with your air conditioning?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get Started

Friedrich Air Conditioner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I had a mini-split system installed and I am very disappointed. Thought I was buying a name brand in Friedrich but I am very disappointed and unhappy with the units. Indoor air handlers are noisy. Units shut off in the middle of the night without warning. Friedrich customer service is USELESS!! Don't even bother calling them. I am working with my HVAC installer to get the system replaced with another brand. Do yourself a big favor and choose another brand. Pay the extra $$ and get Mitsubishi or Fujitsu. I have learned the hard way!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Purchased 1st Friedrich mini split because company is based in Texas. I quickly discovered that the installation "manual" LOL was clearly not produced in the Lone Star State. THE MANUALS ARE TERRIBLE! That said, however, the units (I have personally now installed 3 of them) are quite good. Why did I buy the next 2? After the 1st install, I no longer needed the so called installation manual(s). I strongly suggest that before you purchase (if you plan to DIY) examine the installation manuals online. You will find for example that LG's documentation to be extensive and Friedrich's very minimal. -- I might add that a couple of calls to customer service dept were also less than satisfactory. I give the units 4 stars and the documentation 1 star.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 28, 2020

Just getting someone on the phone is impossible, every-time is over an hour hold. I call to have assistance with setting up WiFi, which I have had no problem doing on older models. They rather tell you the times they “called” you Back than just set up the appointment to set up my WiFi. They are clueless, don’t actively listen to what you need, and condescending. If I didn’t hardwire these ac’s into the wall I would throw them In the trash! Beyond so stressful trying to get any help from this company. Ac don’t get that cold and are so much louder than older models. These will be my last ac purchases from them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Friedrich Mini Split AC 12,000 BTU are very Good, Easy Option for Older Buildings which do not have Space for regular AC, unit with Installation completed in 1 Day. Cost $1500, it's silent, Efficient & perfect for 500 SF Room, only Inconvenience was very hard to have a Remote Replaced after it got damaged. I had to wait for 4 months.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Received air conditioner. Don't work. Tried to call Friedrich. Got disconnected 3 times. Left number to call back. No call back! Remote is a joke. You have to stand on step stool for it to work. Smart part is a joke! Why can't you buy a thru the wall with just a remote? This is the worst of all. Do not buy! The remote sensor is at the ceiling??? Therefore it don't work unless you get a step stool and get above it! Should give you a step stool with every unit they sell. Why wouldn't you make a control panel that can be seen and works with a remote if your unit is up high??? Why would you make a remote that only has three buttons but you can't see anything?

I think they need a new CEO to run this company. I want to return this unit with full refund and find another brand! I can't get help with this brand new machine that will not run! Place where I bought it from I think is ready to get rid of dealing with Friedrich! They also comment on no one can run the smart part! They have more problems with computer part than any other thing! DO NOT BUY! IT. People can't figure this out!

Original review: March 13, 2020

I purchased a Friedrich air conditioner in November of 2019 and was promised a rebate of $40.00 within six weeks of purchase after completing the required forms with George **. I called the rebate department in January because I had not received any rebate. I spoke with George and asked to speak to his supervisor who is Jeffery **. Jeffery promised that he would check into the matter and give me an update. Never heard back from Jeffery so I called back and spoke to George again and asked for Jeffery's supervisor. George informed me that Jeffery's supervisor was Jackie **. When I spoke to Jackie, she informed me that she was not the supervisor and that I needed to speak with Jeffery. So you can see where this is going and to date, March 13, 2020, I have yet to receive the rebate that was promised to me in November 2019!! BEWARE OF Friedrich Air Conditioner rebate promises. They do not make good on them!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Recently installed 4 Friedrich through the wall air conditioning/heating units at over $1000 per unit. They are extremely noisy. Thermostats on units are unreliable. Had an authorized Tech service guy come in to look at them. He agreed they were noisy but couldn't do anything about the noise level or the faulty thermostat. Contacted Friedrich headquarters to no avail. Despite the fact that they are (falsely) marketed as quiet units headquarters guy told me the warranty doesn't cover noise level. He didn't address the thermostat issue at all. Guess that isn't covered either.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I thought this was a top brand. I bought 4 Friedrich air conditioners. They have given me nothing but problems. Break frequently and have had to be replaced countless times. The installation also costs more than just buying new air conditioners every year and is a major headache.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

This 24,000 BTU window air conditioner did not even last three before it started having issues. To start with you had to use the remote after just one year as the buttons on the unit stopped working. After just two and a half years I knew that it was not as cold as it used to be and this was proven just before I replaced it. I took a digital thermometer at the discharge and the coldest it would get was 75.5 degrees. Fast forward two hours after the new LG was installed. I was reading 58.5 degrees on the discharge.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

My large Friedrich window unit/heater required a repair costing almost as much as the unit after two years and wasn't covered under the warranty. It was a total loss. The fan motor started making noise and the technician said it needed to be replaced. $450! I'll never buy this name brand again. Very very disappointed. I had over $900 in this unit with the extended warranty. I feel completely ripped off.

Friedrich Air Conditioner author review by ConsumerAffairs

Friedrich is an air conditioner manufacturing company with a long history of technological innovation. Founded in 1883, Friedrich developed one of the first food refrigeration systems. By the 1950s, Friedrich was a leader in the commercial refrigeration industry and expanded to air conditioning units. They now specialize in both residential and commercial air conditioning systems, sold at dealers nationwide.

• Manufacturing focus: Friedrich prides itself on manufacturing only air conditioners. Unlike other major manufacturing companies, it does not offer other consumer appliances, instead focusing only on air conditioners in order to be an industry leader and expert.

• Product selection: Friedrich offers many residential air conditioning options, including window units, through-the-wall room air conditioners, ductless systems, portable units and air purifiers. The systems are available in cooling only or cooling and heating to fit your needs.

• Product rebates: Friedrich offers several rebate programs to help you save money on your new air conditioner. Check the website to see which models are currently eligible for a rebate.

• Innovative remote-controlling technology: Friedrich uses a web portal called Friedrich Link to help you manage your air conditioning units. You can use any Internet-connected mobile device or computer to set up an account and control your air conditioner remotely. You can even set up your units on a schedule to automatically go on or off at set times during the week.

• Helpful website and customer service: Air conditioning units can be complicated, but Friedrich’s helpful support website offers information about each unit, how-to videos, downloadable manuals and brochures, frequently asked questions and more. Friedrich’s customer service representatives are available by phone, mail or through a contact form on their website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team