Find an Air Conditioners partner

3. Air Conditioners

3.8/5 (68 ratings)
Find an Air Conditioners partner
Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Friedrich Air Conditioner

Banner image

Need help with an HVAC system?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Friedrich Air Conditioner Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Friedrich Air Conditioner?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

My new Friedrich unit keeps cycling off and on. The Friedrich tech says the internal thermostat is getting confused, that I need a remote thermostat. They stopped making remotes for this model in 2019.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I bought a PTAC (model #Wallmaster WE12D33-A) in March of 2016. The unit was installed in early May. In August of 2019 the air conditioner failed. A certified repairman replaced the condenser and compressor at that time. The warranty only partially covered the almost $1,000 repair. In May of 2021 the unit was again not functioning. A $1000.00 got me one summer of use. The certified repairman came back and indicated I needed a new unit. I made repeated calls to Friedrich service and customer/warranty departments with no results after 3 weeks of trying and callback requests. I obviously bought a "lemon". Have have received no good faith attempt by Friedrich to rectify the problem. Do not purchase or do business ever with Friedrich. They are not a reputable company and do not stand behind their products. Their customer service is completely non-responsive (if you can get through). They do not care.

Get buying tips about Air Conditioners delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2021

We have had three Kuhl AC's (thru wall), models SQ06N10B and SQ06N10C. Each and every one has failed after 1-3 years and they are not cheap! In one case, a unit stopped cooling after 2 years (all same failure), Friedrich authorized one of their repair outfits to look at it. They had it from Sept 2016 to April 2017, unable to repair so Friedrich replaced it. The replacement failed in one year! Another unit failed at 3 years, authorized repair could not repair it after 6 months, Friedrich had to replace it. That replacement failed after 2 years same way. We now have a unit that is failing after only 3 years, insufficient cooling like others. But in the meantime Friedrich pulled a fast one, no longer warranty on both parts plus labor on sealed system, only parts. So, a repair, if possible could run close to a thousand dollars if they spend a lot of time on it! Not only that, the replacements they sent in past years are guaranteed only from date that failed unit was bought.

Note that all failed units made IN MEXICO. It should be noted that over 20 years ago we had wall units from Friedrich and 2 out of 3 still work, they used to make good products but no more! One spends $70-$800 on a wall unit and consistently fails in 1-3 years? NO MORE. Will buy inexpensive window units from now on, likely Japanese! STAY AWAY FROM FRIEDRICH - they are junk now and have a terrible warranty!

Original review: May 13, 2021

Friedrich a/c rebate is a scam as stated by others on this site. I have been waiting for my rebate since summer 2020. It is now May 2021. When you call, they verify address and promise it is enroute. I also received an email confirmation that the check is on the way...again. They constantly try to blame my address that has never changed; I have NO issues receiving mail. I reported them to Better Business Bureau. They lied to BBB and claimed that they reached out to me to verify my address...yet again! I will report them to my state Consumer Affairs next. This is going on for several months now. Imagine the desperation of a corrupt business that prefers to play games with consumers rather than send a $30 rebate check. Friedrich has destroyed their reputation. I will never buy their products again.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Purchased a Friedrich Room Air Conditioner in August. It came with a $30 rebate offer. Rebate will be sent in 4-6 weeks. It is now December. No rebate. I contacted "support". Don't bother calling as they don't answer. I emailed "support". I did get a reply that basically said... "Hey, we sent it to our rebate vendor (whatever that is) and they must be running behind. Your rebate was approved, it's just that they are running behind." I followed up with another email saying "I want my rebate now."... Reply..."I told you, they are running behind." I filed a complaint with the BBB (there were 32 complaints about Friedrich there before mine).

My advice... don't buy from this company. Research every major purchase you make. Google the company's name and add the word "complaints" or "Issues" to it. I also filed complaints with my state's Consumer Affairs Office and the Office of the Attorney General. I contacted the local Friedrich dealer (the one I purchased the unit from) and gave him the details. He said he would check out the BBB website and discuss it with other dealers in the area. I hope they stop buying from this company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have been going through nothing but aggravation since I purchased a Friedrich thru the wall air conditioner (model UCT12a10a) in April 22, 2019, used it for four months, uncovered it this season only to have warm air coming from the unit. Because the year was up I had to go through Friedrich limited warranty. Due to (covid 19) every Friedrich repair shop in my area was closed, couldn't get anyone to come and check out the AC. The process with Friedrich went back and forth until June when I was told my only option was to go to a repair shop they recommended that was out of state to drop off the AC. Three weeks later received a call from the repair shop to pick up the ac. The ac worked for a few days only to have the same problem return.

Spoke to Friedrich hoping perhaps I could get some kind of replacement or refund and I was told my only option was to go back to the same repair shop to get it fixed. So again I went out of state to drop off the ac. I tried to leave feedback at PC Richards where I purchased the air conditioner, I received an email in August saying my feedback cannot be published to the website. I also received another email for my contact information so they can contact the vendor on my behalf to see if they can resolve the issue. I then received a phone call that the ac would be replaced, come to the store drop off the old unit and pick up the new ac. Well here I am again two months later with a replacement Friedrich UCT12A10A, same problem, warm air coming from the unit. I am DONE with Friedrich products!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I had a mini-split system installed and I am very disappointed. Thought I was buying a name brand in Friedrich but I am very disappointed and unhappy with the units. Indoor air handlers are noisy. Units shut off in the middle of the night without warning. Friedrich customer service is USELESS!! Don't even bother calling them. I am working with my HVAC installer to get the system replaced with another brand. Do yourself a big favor and choose another brand. Pay the extra $$ and get Mitsubishi or Fujitsu. I have learned the hard way!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

Purchased 1st Friedrich mini split because company is based in Texas. I quickly discovered that the installation "manual" LOL was clearly not produced in the Lone Star State. THE MANUALS ARE TERRIBLE! That said, however, the units (I have personally now installed 3 of them) are quite good. Why did I buy the next 2? After the 1st install, I no longer needed the so called installation manual(s). I strongly suggest that before you purchase (if you plan to DIY) examine the installation manuals online. You will find for example that LG's documentation to be extensive and Friedrich's very minimal. -- I might add that a couple of calls to customer service dept were also less than satisfactory. I give the units 4 stars and the documentation 1 star.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Just getting someone on the phone is impossible, every-time is over an hour hold. I call to have assistance with setting up WiFi, which I have had no problem doing on older models. They rather tell you the times they “called” you Back than just set up the appointment to set up my WiFi. They are clueless, don’t actively listen to what you need, and condescending. If I didn’t hardwire these ac’s into the wall I would throw them In the trash! Beyond so stressful trying to get any help from this company. Ac don’t get that cold and are so much louder than older models. These will be my last ac purchases from them.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Friedrich Mini Split AC 12,000 BTU are very Good, Easy Option for Older Buildings which do not have Space for regular AC, unit with Installation completed in 1 Day. Cost $1500, it's silent, Efficient & perfect for 500 SF Room, only Inconvenience was very hard to have a Remote Replaced after it got damaged. I had to wait for 4 months.

Friedrich Air Conditioner author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Friedrich is an air conditioner manufacturing company with a long history of technological innovation. Founded in 1883, Friedrich developed one of the first food refrigeration systems. By the 1950s, Friedrich was a leader in the commercial refrigeration industry and expanded to air conditioning units. They now specialize in both residential and commercial air conditioning systems, sold at dealers nationwide.

• Manufacturing focus: Friedrich prides itself on manufacturing only air conditioners. Unlike other major manufacturing companies, it does not offer other consumer appliances, instead focusing only on air conditioners in order to be an industry leader and expert.

• Product selection: Friedrich offers many residential air conditioning options, including window units, through-the-wall room air conditioners, ductless systems, portable units and air purifiers. The systems are available in cooling only or cooling and heating to fit your needs.

• Product rebates: Friedrich offers several rebate programs to help you save money on your new air conditioner. Check the website to see which models are currently eligible for a rebate.

• Innovative remote-controlling technology: Friedrich uses a web portal called Friedrich Link to help you manage your air conditioning units. You can use any Internet-connected mobile device or computer to set up an account and control your air conditioner remotely. You can even set up your units on a schedule to automatically go on or off at set times during the week.

• Helpful website and customer service: Air conditioning units can be complicated, but Friedrich’s helpful support website offers information about each unit, how-to videos, downloadable manuals and brochures, frequently asked questions and more. Friedrich’s customer service representatives are available by phone, mail or through a contact form on their website.

Friedrich Air Conditioner Company Information