1.15/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

FireX Smoke Alarms Reviews

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I have MISTAKENLY INSTALLED 7 new FireX i4618 smoke alarms. Big Mistake. I got the same quality/performance issues as the other complaints listed on this site about this product. Hope you read this site before you make the same mistake I've made!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2015

I am a general contractor who installed six interconnected type, line voltage with battery back up i4618 alarms in our new house. After a very short period of time alarms started going off randomly, almost always in the middle of the night. I changed all batteries with recommend brand and problems continued. After cleaning all of the units and replacing the batteries once again the random alarms continued. I then replaced all of the units with new alarms, same model (big mistake). After six months or so the random alarms started again. The alarms are all now sitting in a box ready to go to recycle as I review other smoke alarm brands to purchase as I will never allow FireX brand alarms in any house we build.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2015

I have lived in my newer home for 4 years and have quantity 3 FireX i4618 smoke detectors. I have put new batteries in these detectors twice. This time I put in new batteries (that I tested and voltage was fine) and the detector kept starting to beep a few times a few days following installation of a new battery. I tried 2 different 9 volt batteries that were new and dated 2017 and 2018. I called FireX customer service and was informed that I had to buy a Duracell Alkaline battery that was dated 2019 or later.

I am an electrical engineer and I believe FireX has a flawed design if batteries only last a year. The units draw too much current from the backup battery and should not draw any current from the batteries unless 115 volt AC power is lost temporarily. We have lost power for a total of 50 hours in the last 4 years. I am replacing all my units with another because I am fed up with being woken up in the middle of the night by a simple device that is there to help you sleep better.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

We built a new house and gained occupancy in August of 2013. Our new home is equipped with 8 Kidde smoke detectors which were installed and interconnected by the electrical contractor. We change the batteries when we change the clocks 2x per year. We vacuum the vents at the same times. We just had our second detector fail - false alarm and subsequent low battery signal that does not stop even after putting in fresh Duracell batteries. The first failure was in the 8th month. Now the second on 12/9/14.

I checked the worthless warranty from Kidde and it reads as follows: "Return the defective alarm postage paid along with proof of purchase and prepaid return postage and Kidde will evaluate the failed detector and decide if they will replace it or not." This is worthless warranty. It costs more to ship and pay return postage than the unit is worth. Save yourself the hassle and buy another brand of detector. These units are defective and the company does not stand behind them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2014

I replaced a hardwired smoke detector in my house with a Firex i4618. Lately the alarm goes off during the night for an unknown reason without setting off the other alarms in the system. This sets off total distress for my family. Could you tell me the reason why?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FireX Smoke Alarms?

Original review: March 27, 2014

Our dream home was built in 2004. All smoke alarms were installed according to local code. They were interconnected so that smoke detected in one part of the house would sound the alarm on all other smoke detectors throughout the house. Within two years, our smoke alarms from FireX started to fail. Usually they went off at night when we were in the least possible position to remedy the situation. And most were so high on the vaulted ceilings that we couldn't find a ladder longer enough to reach them. But after bothering neighbors at 3 a.m. for example, we would get within reach of the alarm, but needed both hands above the head to remove the alarm from its most difficult receptacle.

The first two units were mailed to FireX's address in Texas and were replaced. The third smoke alarm was returned by mail to me with an 'address unknown' sticker on the envelope. I consulted the Internet for a new address and found none. After that alarms which failed were simply pulled off the ceilings and put in storage until I could find an address.

By the time I found a new address for warranty service through Kidde, the Kidde company refused to service or replace the unit because the warranty had expired. Well, duh, that's what happens when the original company moves and leaves no forwarding address. Most companies that take over other companies must honor warranties of previous companies they acquire. In order to comply, the new firm should have mail forwarded and not just return the mail to the consumer. This is why we have to have government oversight of trade because companies often do not do the responsible thing. Smoke alarm requirements by cities and county must look at the situation realistically and must know that these units are difficult to service, almost impossible to remove, and surely a bear to replace.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2008

My house was built in year 2000 with FIRE X model FADC smoke detectors. The master bedroom detector failed after 4 years ( false alarms). The replacement smoke detector, (same model) built in 2004 failed the same way in November 2008.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2008

We have Firex smoke detectors in our house. They are hard wired into the house and if one rings they all ring. One is faulty indicates a need to change batteries even after a new one has been put in. It inexplicably will set off all the other detectors on a regular basis usually about 4:am

Many batteries, many rude awakenings

Original review: Sept. 5, 2007

We bought four new FireX smoke alarms, one being the more expensive model for use in kitchens. After just two months of installation is it emitting a 3 alarm-pause-3 alarm pulsating tone. Very annoying! We assumed it was a dead battery but that is NOT the case. After installing one of the recommended 9V batteries, it continues to emit this alarm. PLEASE REPLACE OR REFUND OUR $19.00 PURCHASE PRICE. Thank you ! A reply would be greatly appreciated

Our $19.00 purchase price, plus the cost of replacement batteries that did not correct the problem. No receipt was retained -- we assumed we had a quality product.

Original review: May 7, 2006

We have 3 G6 firex smoke detectors in our home (we've lived here 10 years & the home is 13 years old). We've never changed the batteries because we cannot figure out how to do so. Can you please advise? Is there anyone in our area who can inspect and/or replace our smoke detectors?

`