1.49/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

150 Finish Dishwasher Detergent Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

It worked excellent. Will never use anything else!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Washing utensils in the dishwasher that contain aluminum turns the item black. You have no warning of this. One other problem, it tends to scratch glasses when washed in the machine several times. You advise to talk to the dishwasher manufacturer (on your packet) but the problem is your product, although we find it washes all other items fine.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

Bought a new 2014 LG TrueSteam dishwasher. The very first wash was with the supplied Finish Quantum tabs and Jet Dry. Dishes came out sparkling. Only two samples came with the dishwasher. Bought Finish Classic Powder instead to use and then the dishes and dishwasher were all white after drying...even with Jet Dry. Increased the Jet Dry but same results. Found out we have very hard water so added salt to the salt reservoir at almost the highest setting available. Next wash was better but still pretty filmy.

Switched to Finish All In One with various Jet Dry and Salt settings but the dishes and washer were never 'crystal' clear. Could not find Quantum at the store. I found some when I was on vacation and brought back boxes with me. Washed my next load and voila...crystal clear dishes again. I must say that I cannot let the salt container deplete to less than half full or I get a slight cloudiness on my glasses. Thank God for Quantum. I almost thought a dishwasher wasn't going to work for our water type.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

I used the small aqua pillows that come in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. Within a couple of weeks the inside of my dishwasher was grey and dirty-looking. The grey film was difficult to scrub off. I threw the rest of the box away and went back to Cascade, which I have used for years. In 2 uses my dishwasher was sparkling clean! My daughter couldn't believe the difference and insisted I write and tell you about it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

Sears Kenmore Ultra wash dishwasher. I have used this product for several years since it became available at Sam's and Costco. Performance was outstanding, especially in removing years of hard water stains from glassware. However, starting about six months ago, On every use I have noticed red stains matching the color of the Powerball insert inside the dishwasher, mostly on the bottom of the inside of the door but some in the bottom of the washer cabinet. The stains have been difficult to remove, requiring detergent with a scouring pad. What has changed and when will it be fixed?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finish Dishwasher Detergent?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

Yes, my dishwasher now has a stain after I have been using the Finish tabs. I just started researching this online and came across this website. I was shocked to see another consumer who has the identical problem. I do not know what to do, but it looks nasty. What is causing this?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

We bought a box of 100 powerball tabs. Within a week of using the tablets the dishwasher turned yellowish brown.. We are kind of stuck using up the rest of the box before attempting to clear the inside walls of the washer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I'm using the Finish powerball powder packet given to me in my new Bosch 800 series dishwasher. Since then, all of my knives have been getting rust spots on them. Also my plastic (top rack only) glasses were always clear even after years in my previous dishwashers. By the second washing with Finish, they are now completely frosted looking.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I switched to Finish powerball as it was on sale so I thought I would give it a try. After a month or so I noticed the inside of the dishwasher was stained brown, mostly on the door. I have never had this happen with any other detergent, and I have used all kinds. What's with that??

Original review: July 26, 2014

I like the results of the soap, but not the little square containers, or that the box is not full. The soap jams the dispenser door. The box is difficult to use, so I dump them into my own container. The box is made to look bigger. The company would probably say that it was done to maintain the integrity of the packing system or some other obtuse excuse? Most likely, it's to be able to use the same box size at the 32 count box.

I see it as a way to make the buyer think they are getting a pound, another form of downsizing. The 25 count box weighs 14.6 oz, 1.4 oz less than a pound. 2 of the little soap packets weigh about 1.4 oz. I would pay more just to see the old standard 1 pound again. That is, instead of raising the price, manufacturers are decreasing the amount and using displacement packaging to keep the package looking its original size. If consumers would boycott these companies, they would have to bring back the original size/amount packaging. So it would cost more, and most of us are willing to pay it, we just don't like being tricked. The 25 count package is misleading, period, and they know it.

Original review: July 25, 2014

I WAS a loyal consumer of ALL the Finish Dishwasher products including the cleaner procedure which I used monthly, faithfully. Lately, I don't see my favorite gel packs anymore, instead, I think your company is trying to push the new square solid product similar to the Cascade brand. What a huge mistake on your part!! Why are you messing with something that doesn't need messing with? Your NEW square product is worse than the Cascade I used for years until I found a superior cleaning product in your gel packs. To make a long, disappointing story short, I have switched to OXI CLEAN and am expecting a complete change in the way your stupid square product DIDN'T clean well at all!!! I won't be back!!!! AND I am telling everyone about your consumer mistake!!!

Original review: July 25, 2014

I recently switch from Fairy Dishwasher detergent to Finish Powerball. I realized it is a big mistake as I cannot remove the residue of the power ball from my dishwasher. The packaging of the tablet cannot dissolve completely from the place where I place the detergent. At the end after I cleaned the dish, I need to clean the mess made by the detergent tablet. I strongly not recommend anyone use the tablet from Finish.

Resolution response: July 22, 2014

This was a mistake and I can't find any way on this site to delete it. There was something stuck to my heating coil that was giving off the awful smell.

Original review: July 20, 2014

I received 2 sample packets at Sam's Club last week. I put one in the dishwasher this morning. When I opened the dishwasher later in the day, my eyes immediately started burning. I just shut it and waited for my husband to open it and see if he noticed anything. He later started putting away the dishes. After a few minutes he said, "What did you use? My nose is burning from this dishwasher." I told him I had used the sample of Finish. He put the dishes back in the washer and re-ran the load. He wouldn't eat off of dishes that had been washed in that stuff. It wasn't like an offensive odor; it was more like a reaction to a chemical. I threw the other sample away naturally. I'm not out any money, but this is horrible stuff. We are not allergic to anything that we know of.

Original review: July 9, 2014

I have pots and pans with copper bottoms. Finish Powerball detergent left marks on the copper and left really bad marks on the stainless steel on the rest of them. The only thing I could do was get S.O.S. Pads and scour the pots and pans to get the shine back. Once I use up the rest of these "pucks" I will try another brand and hope I get better results.

Original review: June 13, 2014

Finish AllinOne. 5 gels were "melted together".

Original review: May 20, 2014

We get a really bad smell with Finish liquid in our new Bosch machine. Not a moldy smell but a chemical smell which fills the whole house. We have used other brands and it doesn't happen but the cleaning isn't as good! Everything that can be cleaned has been cleaned but the smell remains. We have to apologize about the smell when we have visitors. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Original review: April 28, 2014

Have brown spots on my French porcelain from using dish detergent. I used Iron Out inside my dishwasher and it made it sparkle like new. But, I am afraid to use anything on my dishes that will harm the dishes' finish. Cascade Complete also has this same problem. Please anyone know or tried to use anything to get stains off of dishes.

Original review: April 25, 2014

This is what we have learned and our solution. We use Finish, and just recently we noticed our white dishes with brown staining, our racks turned brown, and a film inside the dishwasher. What works to clean the dishes is lemon juice. It will also clean the racks. I also use the Mr. Clean erasers and they take the film off the white dishes. Yesterday we were told by a dishwasher repairman, who was at our neighbors - Put CLR in the dishwasher, about one cup, and run it through. We did this and the inside turned clean, and it removed the brown stains on the racks. The first time we used lemon juice, and a power washer on the racks. He also said use 1/2 the amount of powder Cascade, and 1/2 of a powder rinse product. We no longer use Cascade since they removed the phosphates, and in our last home the Cascade hardened at the bottom of our dishwasher in the drain area. My husband had to take everything apart and SCRAPE it off with a chisel. We are going to try Costco powder brand of dishwasher soap this week, and mix it 5/0/50.

We have had this problem for about six months, and we have read many posts from different sites. Until these companies figure this out and change their products, we - as consumers will continue to have this problem if we continue to use their product. Also, I did try another suggestion - A half cup of vinegar, in a coffee cup, sitting upright during a cycle gets your glasses nice and shiny. Be careful pulling your rack out, since the cup will be full of water at the end of the cycle.

Original review: April 19, 2014

The pouring spout has spokes to hold it in place on cardboard which became loose and poked holes in my hand. I didn't realize blood pouring out on a pair of new white pants I just put on. I took it back to the Commissary at Schofield Bks, HI and showed container and blood stained pants to the manager. He said he would talk with the distributor and see about doing something for the damaged pants. I checked back and still have no response. The pants are permanently soiled and cannot be worn again. Also, the powder keeps pour out from the top of the box - better packaging is definitely in order. A response will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: April 12, 2014

We have used Finish jet dry for years. We just bought a new bottle two months ago and the last two months when our dishwasher goes into the rinse cycle we get soap suds into the dish washer. Have you changed the ingredients in the product? Or has anybody else had this problem? It is a real pain getting rid of the soap suds. As soon as it is out of our dishwasher we will never use it again.

Original review: April 4, 2014

We have been using the Finish quantum gel pack with powerball or a red dot of goo in the middle anyway. We've actually been using it for some time and noticed the brown residue on the door and on the bottom of the inside of the dishwasher. The dishes are not affected and they are actually really clean although with our dishwasher we have to pre wash everything anyways so I don't know what the point is but I think it must be the quantum because there is no food on our dishes when they go in the dishwasher.

Original review: March 31, 2014

I have used Finish for some time. Actually, I used Cascade Complete until the Gov't made them remove something from the formula and my dishes were not getting cleaned. I checked online and Finish sounded like the best product. Had been working great, until..... something obviously changed. I see comments back to May 2013. I don't know when I actually noticed, but it has been months. White bowls and white plates are stained. The entire dishwasher has a brownish color on the inside. The magic eraser, with lots of elbow grease, worked to clean the inside door. Someone PLEASE tell me a good idea to remove the stains from my dishes and a good product to use instead of Finish!!!! Thank you!

Original review: March 30, 2014

I have a Bosch washing machine and some Quantum Finish gel packs came with the machine. This is the product that was recommended to use with the machine. I bought several 85 tablet boxes as I got a great deal on them. I have used my sterling silverware everyday for years and it has stayed shiny and untarnished until I started using the Quantum Finish Gel Packs. Now my sterling has turned brownish-orange after a few weeks of washing with it. I am VERY disappointed as I had been using Finish Powder for years and never had a problem. This Quantum product is more expensive and C.R. always rated it as one of the best. Need I state again that I am VERY disappointed?

Original review: March 20, 2014

I recently started using Finish Powerball All in One 3x. My new dishwasher has become mottled with brown residue, as have some of my white dishes. I suspect that the detergent is the culprit.

Original review: March 8, 2014

Jennair dishwasher... started using Finish and noticed brown gummy spots on my silverware... they need to discontinue this horrible product.

Original review: March 4, 2014

We bought a Bosch dishwasher about 6-8 months ago. Love it but am noticing a light brown film on a lot of my white dishes. (In fact all of them at one point have been affected.)Not all the time but often enough that it is a problem. The only way I have been able to get it off is with Bon Ami and a gentle non-scratch scrub sponge. I have looked this problem up and one thing I am hearing is that the Quantum Finish Powerball detergent capsules seem to be causing a problem similar to this. But I don't know if it is it or not, since these Finish Powerball detergent pods were given to us with the purchase of our Bosch dishwasher because it is what Bosch recommended.

Because they recommended it, so I have been using it and now I am left to wonder if it's a problem with new dishwasher or something I'm using in it. Called Bosch and they said to stop using the Finish Quantum Powerball gel capsules (the ones that have a dissolvable outer coating) instead get Finish dry detergent or the dry detergent tablets (the ones you remove from wrapper). There must be a problem with the Quantum Power Gel Capsules. I don't know if it's the gel coating that's the prob or the gel inside it or both. But I will give it a try.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2014

We have noticed a brown residue on the dishes as well as the interior of our Stainless Steel Jenn-Air Dishwasher since using the above product. Obviously, the manufacturer has not corrected this problem, despite the fact that complaints surfaced on this blog over a year ago in Jan. 2013. And the complaints are still coming in. It also appears the manufacturer may have not even acknowledged or admitted that this is a problem, as well as the other reported problem of the plastic casing around the Powerballs causing a clogging of the motor, as the manufacturer has yet to pull their product.

We only bought this product because Target offered a tremendous deal. If it causes damage to the dishwasher, how much of a deal will this turn out to be? We noticed that the product was manufactured in Poland. Perhaps their quality control may be a serious issue in that country. Or maybe it is Poland's way of getting back to us for telling all the Pollock jokes over the past decades! Just kidding.

If the manufacturer does not resolve these issues with their product and reimburse the consumers who had to replace their motors clogged up by this product, perhaps the Consumer Protection Agency needs to step in (but another government involvement is having incompetents conduction an investigation). The other option is having a class action lawsuit filed against this company. But Tort lawyers will get most of the money, while the lawyers will get most of the $$$$$. So not a great option either. The third option is to boycott ALL of Finish products.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

I have a 6-month-old Bosch dishwasher and as per their recommendation, I was using Finish tablets. Occasionally, I have noticed the tablet did not dissolve properly. The tablet routinely remains undissolved or partially undissolved in my dishwasher. This is not a dishwasher problem because it falls into the tablet basket as it is designed to do. It seems to be a problem with the tablet itself. Water temp is plenty hot as evidenced by the steam. This cause a lot of waste as I must rerun my dishwasher with a powder to wash the dishes, costing double... I bought a couple of boxes when it was on a special, but can't use it...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I recently purchased a box of Finish All in One because I had a coupon. It was at a warehouse so it is a large box and was expensive. I absolutely hate this product. After using Cascade for 10 years without a problem, my dishes are totally ruined. They are all brown and streaked. Now I am looking at replacing dishes and throwing Finish away. I will NEVER purchase this product again!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2014

I previously lived out of town and had an enviro waste system. We couldn't use any detergent that was not phosphate free. As I would go into the supermarket to get this, there would only be a handful of products that I could choose from. Everything else was Finish except for a few home brand labels. I became very disturbed that this was happening, and that people's choices were very limited. Well recently we shifted back into town, and because we had rain water tanks and the water was quite soft were we previously lived, the product that we had been using no longer did the job. So I had to bite the bullet and try Finish. Well what an amazing product. Also using the rinse aid as well. My dishes are clean and sparkly (so long as I remember to fill the aid container). I now happily use Finish and tell people my little story. What a turnabout!

Finish Dishwasher Detergent Company Information