1.50/5
Based on 124 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Finish Dishwasher Detergent

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 25, 2018

138 Finish Dishwasher Detergent Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I use Finish Powerball tabs. Recently, some tabs crumbled when unwrapped. I tried Quantum which need no unwrapping. When I opened the package I became ill from chemical fumes. I never even tried the tabs. I am going back to Finish and not storing them under the sink where heat pipes may have dried them. I did not buy online.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

We always buy the Finish Quantum Max dishwasher detergent. When I was at the store I accidentally bought the Max in 1. Didn't think much about it. The bag says no need to unwrap. Did a load a dishes and the bar didn't even dissolve. We figured maybe it was defective, did the load again, same thing. I unwrapped it to see if that would help. Nope, 3rd time washing the same dishes and they are still dirty. I could not be more upset about wasting money and water to get dirty dishes. I went back to the store today and bought the kind we usually buy. How can the same company make products so different?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

Purchased new KitchenAid dishwasher. Tried this product but doesn't seem to rotate or dispense soap. Dishes come out the way they were put in, FILTHY. Tried more than one dispenser.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

Have been using Finish products satisfactorily for several years. In the last few months began using the Gelpacs and these pacs are sticking together. They are stored properly and my hands are not wet when removing from the box. Last week there were two pacs stuck together and gel went everywhere. Today there were four stuck together. Part of one in the washer and all else down the sink drain. I will not purchase this product again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

In Florida, I have used Finish dishwasher products for years without problems. After moving to Maine full time, bought 4 new boxes of Powerball from Costco. Last fall, we started to notice residue on our dishes, glasses and utensils. We thought that our water filtration system was going bad. We spent over $2,500 having our water tested (it was fine) and a new filtration system installed. Because our dishwasher detergent was the same as we have always used, we never suspected that it could be the problem!

After using the new boxes of Finish Powerball Fresh Scent, 110 count, as well as their Jet Dry additive, our dishwasher turned a nasty brown on the inside (it's stainless steel) and the plastic racks are now a very dark brown. We also have dishes, both plastic and porcelain, that are stained brown and etched glassware as well. I don't know if they changed the formula or what but I am so very disappointed that this company has not addressed this problem by putting warnings on the box! I intend to return the product to Costco and will never, ever use this product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finish Dishwasher Detergent?

Original review: July 24, 2015

I would not recommend using Finish Powerball Tabs. After using them for the first couple of times, our perfectly functioning dishwasher would not circulate water. After cleaning it thoroughly, somehow we got it working again. Unfortunately, not putting two and two together, I used the Finish Powerball again and as a result the dishwasher quit working again. After a month of hand washing dishes, I made a ditch effort to try the dishwasher again, this time with my Cascade packet. It's been working great ever since. So I'm guessing Finish clogged the drain and it took several weeks to dissolve. This product is on its way to the garbage.

Original review: July 20, 2015

I have been a Finish powder user for as long as I can remember. Recently relocated and could not find the Finish powder dishwashing detergent. Since I was so pleased with the Finish powder product, I did not want to switch brands. Therefore, I purchased the Finish All-in-One "capsules." Hated them! Coffee & tea cups came out stained and some of the dishes were not clean; also some of the utensils. After using this product up, I purchased the Finish Max in 1 capsules. Hated them, too, for the same reasons. After using those up, I purchased the Quantum Max, figuring SURELY since I "moved up" to the chain to the highest quality capsule, I'd be pleased. NOT. I experienced the same issues and I'm using a rinse agent, as well. I give up and will have to shop around for some other powder product.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I recently purchased this product thinking it might be a little more effective in general hand dishwashing than the product I have used for many years. Part of my routine for the past 30 years is to take my jewelry (rings) off and put them into a glass with dishwashing liquid and hot water, being to clean them while I work, as recommended by my jeweler. The Tangerine Twist detergent stripped the silver and dulled the gold on a ring I have had for 20 years. It is ruined, looks to be corroded in places. I contacted the company to warn them and was unfortunately dealt within a very defensive curt manner. Very disappointing. They advised that this was not the recommended use for their product and were very dismissive! I don't have the receipt only the product I purchased.

Original review: June 29, 2015

I was told by the dishwasher repairman to stop using Cascade and only use Finish Quantum. So I did for a year. The drain became plugged and that repairman told me NEVER to use the plastic tabs -- they don't dissolve well and plugged the drain -- to the tune of $89.95 for the service call. He said, "Yes, only use Finish, but only the powder. In the orange box." So today, I went shopping and was going to get some except -- I cannot find it in the two BIG stores I shopped at. No liquid either -- just the dang tabs, in various scents, and sizes. What the heck?

Original review: May 20, 2015

Toronto's water is capped at 120 degrees and the melting point for the Quantum product is 140 degrees which I have been told by Reckitt Benckiser the distributors. I recently had to have my dishwasher repaired as the unmelted soap had clogged it. Why is it sold here when they are aware of this problem with our water temperature cap?

Original review: March 29, 2015

My problem is with the Finish Dishwasher Cleaner product that is meant to sanitize your dishwasher. Due to the picture and unclear instructions, we put the cleaner in the rinse aid slot with the dish load in error. I haven't contacted the company yet, but I'm now horrified that we may have poisoned ourselves as we realized it after the fact. Would really appreciate any feedback from anybody as to whether this would be a concern. Thank you in advance!

Original review: March 11, 2015

I have a Bosch dishwasher and I have been using Finish tablets for some years. This time when I used it, it turned the dishwasher rack, which is plastic, yellow. It also turned all the dishes, mugs and all things made of glass yellow. How do I get rid of it? All my dinnerware is ruined!

Original review: March 9, 2015

I noticed a funny taste every morning when I drank my tea. This went on for a year and a half. Since I recently moved to a new state, I thought it was the new water. So I finally decided to switch to bottled water. It still had a funny taste. I thought it might be the Finish with Powerball tablets I had been using so I switched to a liquid. I washed my dishes on the heavy cycle every time with the Finish because on normal I would get visible residue. I also used the heat the water feature. Up to this point, I was having terrible pain in my internal organs. As soon as I switched, the tea tasted better. 2 weeks later, the pain is dramatically less. I think I was being poisoned by the tablets!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2015

I owned a Kitchen Aide with a built in disposal and used Cascade for a decade. Control panel went out and bought a similar Whirlpool, stainless steel tub etc. Difference was the screen for filtering instead of disposal. About 45 days into ownership had issues with cleanliness, but I had switched top trays for folding tines. Anyway after several months and trying different Cascade products still had issues. Put original trays found that that even though I clean it several times a month the screen was clogged with detergent even my door was coated. Cleaned it out still had issues.

Since I knew that the company would ask if I tried switching detergents I found Finish all in one Powerball tabs in Sam's and it worked beautifully! I thought I was going to shell out another grand for a dishwasher. Problem solved with Finish. Because of the extremely hard water I still use the Finish in my rinse and use two tabs not one. But excellent spot-free, clean dish results... No browning on anything. THANKS Finish. You saved me a $1000 dollars.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

I use the classic version, it is consistent in its function. It appears to work better on the hot cycle, but no problems on eco cycle. The hot short cycle for a light load the tablets work very well. No Residues. I believe the classic is best for the cost, if you move up the finish range the tablets are a little better but a lot more expensive.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2015

Switched to Finish when they were on offer. The dishes, in particular the tea and coffee cups, came out stained after every wash. Gave the dishwasher a clean with Finish cleaner. The whole machine came out coated in grease and gunge. Gave the dishwasher another clean with another cleaner and it came out perfectly clean. Set the dishwasher using Fairy tablets. All the dishes instantly came out clean.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

I have been noticing for a while now, my cups have a chlorine taste. When I make tea it's like i have Javex in the tea. It's not chlorine from the water. Tap water doesn't taste chlorine when I drink it straight from the tap. It's on the cups from the dishwasher. I use the long cycle for washing and rinsing. I don't find that problem with the granular finish.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2014

We recently began using Finish Advance for the first time. My wife opened the first box and was cut on her right index finger. Later I opened the second box and received a cut also. There is a sharp flange on either side of the spout at the very top causing the cut.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

It worked excellent. Will never use anything else!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2014

Washing utensils in the dishwasher that contain aluminum turns the item black. You have no warning of this. One other problem, it tends to scratch glasses when washed in the machine several times. You advise to talk to the dishwasher manufacturer (on your packet) but the problem is your product, although we find it washes all other items fine.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

Bought a new 2014 LG TrueSteam dishwasher. The very first wash was with the supplied Finish Quantum tabs and Jet Dry. Dishes came out sparkling. Only two samples came with the dishwasher. Bought Finish Classic Powder instead to use and then the dishes and dishwasher were all white after drying...even with Jet Dry. Increased the Jet Dry but same results. Found out we have very hard water so added salt to the salt reservoir at almost the highest setting available. Next wash was better but still pretty filmy.

Switched to Finish All In One with various Jet Dry and Salt settings but the dishes and washer were never 'crystal' clear. Could not find Quantum at the store. I found some when I was on vacation and brought back boxes with me. Washed my next load and voila...crystal clear dishes again. I must say that I cannot let the salt container deplete to less than half full or I get a slight cloudiness on my glasses. Thank God for Quantum. I almost thought a dishwasher wasn't going to work for our water type.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

I used the small aqua pillows that come in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. Within a couple of weeks the inside of my dishwasher was grey and dirty-looking. The grey film was difficult to scrub off. I threw the rest of the box away and went back to Cascade, which I have used for years. In 2 uses my dishwasher was sparkling clean! My daughter couldn't believe the difference and insisted I write and tell you about it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

Sears Kenmore Ultra wash dishwasher. I have used this product for several years since it became available at Sam's and Costco. Performance was outstanding, especially in removing years of hard water stains from glassware. However, starting about six months ago, On every use I have noticed red stains matching the color of the Powerball insert inside the dishwasher, mostly on the bottom of the inside of the door but some in the bottom of the washer cabinet. The stains have been difficult to remove, requiring detergent with a scouring pad. What has changed and when will it be fixed?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

Yes, my dishwasher now has a stain after I have been using the Finish tabs. I just started researching this online and came across this website. I was shocked to see another consumer who has the identical problem. I do not know what to do, but it looks nasty. What is causing this?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

We bought a box of 100 powerball tabs. Within a week of using the tablets the dishwasher turned yellowish brown.. We are kind of stuck using up the rest of the box before attempting to clear the inside walls of the washer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I'm using the Finish powerball powder packet given to me in my new Bosch 800 series dishwasher. Since then, all of my knives have been getting rust spots on them. Also my plastic (top rack only) glasses were always clear even after years in my previous dishwashers. By the second washing with Finish, they are now completely frosted looking.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

I switched to Finish powerball as it was on sale so I thought I would give it a try. After a month or so I noticed the inside of the dishwasher was stained brown, mostly on the door. I have never had this happen with any other detergent, and I have used all kinds. What's with that??

Original review: July 26, 2014

I like the results of the soap, but not the little square containers, or that the box is not full. The soap jams the dispenser door. The box is difficult to use, so I dump them into my own container. The box is made to look bigger. The company would probably say that it was done to maintain the integrity of the packing system or some other obtuse excuse? Most likely, it's to be able to use the same box size at the 32 count box.

I see it as a way to make the buyer think they are getting a pound, another form of downsizing. The 25 count box weighs 14.6 oz, 1.4 oz less than a pound. 2 of the little soap packets weigh about 1.4 oz. I would pay more just to see the old standard 1 pound again. That is, instead of raising the price, manufacturers are decreasing the amount and using displacement packaging to keep the package looking its original size. If consumers would boycott these companies, they would have to bring back the original size/amount packaging. So it would cost more, and most of us are willing to pay it, we just don't like being tricked. The 25 count package is misleading, period, and they know it.

Original review: July 25, 2014

I WAS a loyal consumer of ALL the Finish Dishwasher products including the cleaner procedure which I used monthly, faithfully. Lately, I don't see my favorite gel packs anymore, instead, I think your company is trying to push the new square solid product similar to the Cascade brand. What a huge mistake on your part!! Why are you messing with something that doesn't need messing with? Your NEW square product is worse than the Cascade I used for years until I found a superior cleaning product in your gel packs. To make a long, disappointing story short, I have switched to OXI CLEAN and am expecting a complete change in the way your stupid square product DIDN'T clean well at all!!! I won't be back!!!! AND I am telling everyone about your consumer mistake!!!

Original review: July 25, 2014

I recently switch from Fairy Dishwasher detergent to Finish Powerball. I realized it is a big mistake as I cannot remove the residue of the power ball from my dishwasher. The packaging of the tablet cannot dissolve completely from the place where I place the detergent. At the end after I cleaned the dish, I need to clean the mess made by the detergent tablet. I strongly not recommend anyone use the tablet from Finish.

Finish Dishwasher Detergent Company Information

www.finishdishwashing.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use