1.49/5
Based on 136 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

150 Finish Dishwasher Detergent Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

When the US decided to take a cleaning chemical out of the soap, white film starting appearing on dishes. It was not the dishwasher as most thought but

the Soap. I started using Finish later and found it worked like before. The government and environmental dept got involved. Now can't find the Finish in the 'granular' and bought Cascade. Cascade and leaving my silverware stained and looking unwashed. I am not sure if a film is being left on the other dishes but

I am wiping them before I put them away. Just have to hope some stores or Finish will still be supplying the Granular type detergent to stores. Clearwater, FL.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

We were so puzzled to find white residue on our dishes and glasses when the normal washing cycle was finished. We cleaned the machine, used vinegar, cleaned the filters, etc several times. We bought a box of Finish detergent tablets from Costco recently and since then we had the problem. We have used the same tablets in the past with no problem so it must be a bad batch! Hope Finish sort it out!

Get expert buying tips about Household Cleaning Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I started using Finish Powerball dishwasher soap tablets and noticed my dishes getting a film on them. Then they got chunks of stuff on them. I decided to get the Finish dishwasher cleaner and it even got worse. I decided to get the dishwasher cleaned out. The filters was full of soap buildup and plastic pieces. The drain was plugged with the plastic and soap. The insides of my dishwasher has the soap residue and the plastic all over it. Some of it is so bad you can't get it off. My dishwasher is totally trash now and it's all because of this product. I feel they should have to replace my dishwasher and the dishes, silverware and pots and pans that their product destroyed. I am a disabled person and I can't afford to go out and get another dishwasher at the time. I have a very sick husband and this could have made him even worse or even killed him. This product needs to be removed from the shelves so more people don't have to go through this.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Until I stopped buying this company's products a few years back, I tried the various versions, and while they worked ok, they really weren't anything special. I still had to pre-clean my dishes or I would find small areas of stuck on food here and there. Frankly, if I have to do that, there's no point in using detergent at all, and certainly not expensive, toxic detergent.

The main reason I stopped buying it though was because they shared my email address after I submitted a question to them on their online form. So in return for showing interest in their products, I got more spam. I know this because I made a special one for them, as I do for all companies, and I started receiving spam to that address within a couple days. I posted a review on their site, both detailing my thoughts on the product and expressing my displeasure with them sharing my info, and they removed it. They're also not approving my post about it on Facebook. So they sell you out then do everything they can to hide the fact.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

My wife got this from Costco last week. Ran the dishwasher last night for the 1st time using these pods. Opened the door of dishwasher this morning to unpack it. 1st thing I noticed was that the pod had not dissolved completely. The dishes did not feel clean. I then found brown residue on some silverware. Had to scrub this off with an abrasive pad. We are returning the product to Costco today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finish Dishwasher Detergent?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When I opened the zip sealed bag the chemical odor that greeted my was overwhelmingly strong. It took my breath away and left my nasal passages feeling like they had been burned by chemicals. There is no way this product can be safe.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Never have I used a more disgusting dishwasher product. This product covered my dishwasher and dishes with the most horrific layer of slime or coating of white and blue whatever it is, and I washed the dishes 3 times thinking that maybe 1st I put the product in wrong, or maybe the drain was plugged, it was with plastic pod cover. I followed the directions, not my first rodeo with a dishwasher pod, but to no avail, my dishwasher, 3 month old BOSCH is a mess. I am at present trying to clean my dishwasher and dishes, which are so soiled that even had washing left a thick scum on them with OXICLEAN 2IN1 DISHWASHING BOOSTER, I truly hope this cleans my dishwasher and the dish, glass and silverware.

How ignorant and dangerous for this company to not test this product, it says 147 wrapper free tabs, the tabs have wrappers, and the directions state not to remove it. Advanced Clean claim is just outrageous. I will fill you in if the OxiClean works, and I can see that I am not the only one that has had this horrific experience, never again, will I use this product! When I complain to COSTCO I hope you are removed from any product lines they carry!!! For some reason my photos will not download. I will keep them and try to forward them to the company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I am...no, I WAS...a loyal customer of the Finish Tabs in foil individual wrappers. But I noticed that there was a residual powder on the glasses and plates after wash. I found myself having to rinse them again or re-wash certain items. Strike one. Then, you discontinued those and I was forced to switch to the "dissolving" plastic wrapper pods. Strike 2. My Bosch dishwasher is filling with water in the drain area, and I am pulling out shreds of the pod plastic from the drain in the dishwasher. Multiple times the pod has not even left the door and just expanded in the little door area. Needless to say I am now having to wash 2x on the extended cycle...that's if it even gets clean. I am using dry hands to put the pod in the slot. I see that I'm not alone in this problem. I can't imagine that it can be healthy for any of us to not get our dishes clean. Class action lawsuit? Sign me up. I'm pissed. Done with Finish!

Original review: July 27, 2018

Made us very sick, shame on these people using us like RATS. Never buy again, will try to wash my cars with what I have left, don't want to waste gas taking the crap back. Finish Powerball Quantum Max.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I tried this product because it was on sale and decided to give it a try. The soap is in a tablet form that leaves residue on ALL your dishes. I have to re-rinse all dishes after they are washed in the dishwasher. Very dissatisfied with the product. I will never purchase this product again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I bought a mega box of Finish Powerball All in 1. Worst mistake ever! Spent a fortune on this box just to ruin all of my dishes! A white film all over my dishes. I've had to throw away most of them because the film won't come off! $100 worth of dishes ruined! Glass, plastic, silverware, plates, bowls and pans ruined. Also been getting stomach problems ever since I bought them. Wondering if it's the film. I'll never waste my money again. I demand a refund!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I bought a large box of these from Poundland and had to buy the gel tablets after using only 5 of them. They kept leaving residue all over everything which was resolved after switching to gel tablets. Annoyed about the waste of money. I don't recommend these tablets!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

When using the Finish Quantum Max Powerball I have notice a very strong chemical smell. I just realized that our stomach issues may be due to this chemical. We are going to have blood test to see if there is something in this product that is causing us to be sick. This problem only started when we bought this product. Has anyone else gotten sick from this extremely strong chemical product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Not impressed!! Pods rarely dissolve, even using extra hot mode and heavy wash, tried restarting dishwasher over 6 times... Even cleaned my dishwasher with Affresh prior to and after. Plates found to be cracked when the pods did dissolve a bit. My dishwasher is over a year old and doesn't work properly!!! Really not impressed. Wasted money on different ones, quantum powerball. I will never buy these again! I've never been so disappointed in a product as this one! I rate it 0/10.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Finish Powerball dishwasher detergent has ruined my pots and pans. After using this detergent, the exterior of all of my pots and pans has become mottled. I have begun washing them by hand until I get more detergent. When I go to dry them, the finish wipes off with the dishtowel. I have had these pans for many years without a problem with any other detergent. I thought I was getting a bargain when I bought this detergent on sale but it has cost me the price of replacing my set of cookware.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Bought the Finish power ball Max in 1 at Sam's Club. I faithfully used Cascade for years but decided I'd try Finish because it was on sale. HUGE mistake! It has literally EATEN off the lettering of some of our licensed college mugs (if you even touch them they smear) and has dulled the finish on other dishware items. The inside of my stainless steel dishwasher has discoloration and an oily residue. I've only used this product for a week. I will be taking the unused portion back to Sam's for a refund. I only wish I could be reimbursed for the mugs that were destroyed. Multiples at 15.00 each... This is the worst product I've ever used. The mug in the picture was like new until I used Finish in my dishwasher. It had been washed with Cascade countless times. But once with Finish and the logo is ruined. Do not use this product!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Sadly I bought box of 54 tablets of Finish Tablet Powerball for my dishwasher but a good third of the box, the silver foil which is to contain the tablet was filled with air (and NO tablet). Something certainly amiss at the production line and/or quality control. Plus, opening up the silver foil isn't easy if your hands are wet (from the dishes or loading the dishwasher)... Hassle.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We started having issues with our dishes not coming clean with our previous brand, so switched to the Finish Powerball tablets. Our dishes are getting clean, but now there is a terrible, goopy, slightly oily, reddish-brown residue all over our filter and the bottom of our dishwasher. It took me forever to get the thing scrubbed out, and I can only imagine that it is from the red Powerball in the middle of the tablets. I certainly won't be using these again, the amount of gunk from just a week's worth of use is unbelievable. It had completely clogged both filters!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I switched to Finish from Cascade because I have very hard water and Finish was the only thing that worked with my dishwasher. Their Gelpacs were awesome. Now they discontinued them and have the PowerBalls. They don't work with my hard water. I am so disappointed. Now I don't know what to use in my dishwasher! Why did they have to change their product. According to all the reviews I've read, there were no complaints about the Gelpacs. Now no one is happy! Listen up, Finish! You've lost a lot of customers over this!

Original review: July 25, 2017

We bought a large box of the FINISH pacs with red dot at BJ'S Wholesale. They worked fine for half the box, now my dishes and especially my utensils are coming out with a sticky feeling to them. I always have my FINISH JET DRY filled. Will not be buying these again nor CASCADE pacs. Have read numerous complaints about that brand also.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have used the product approximately 5 times in my dishwasher cycle and each time the same results. The powerball does not completely dissolve and the residue that is left is sticky, a little oily and difficult to remove.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I have been using Finish Gel for years. Way back when, it was called "FINISH" and then changed the name to ELECTRASOL. Then a few years ago it changed back to "FINISH", stating it was a new name. I am 80 so I go back always. I absolutely swear this is the best dish washing liquid on the market. I only use the gel, not the Gelpacs. I had a very bad experience with Cascade, both with their powdered formula and their "pacs". Quite a few were broken in the bag so I never bought them again. The powdered formula left a white film all over my drinking glasses and I could never get it removed. So much for Cascade!

Original review: June 4, 2017

We have had decent results with the Finish Tabs that are in the foil-like individual wrappers, for several years. We were recently in BJ's Wholesale about a month ago and purchased a new box of Finish Tabs, but there were in a supposedly dissolving plastic wrapper. Within a week our dishwasher (a $1,000 Bosch - which is a wonderful dishwasher) was non-functional. The Bosch factory repairman came out and had to replace a component and cleaned out a bunch of plastic wrappers from the drain in the dishwasher. He said to never use those again and has seen numerous problems with them. We have tried them since by unwrapping first, and they still don't clean worth a darn. A generic grocery store powder brand does a better job. These guys cost us $225 in an otherwise unneeded repair. DONE with Finish!

Original review: May 1, 2017

We bought a LARGE box of these at "Sam's" Club about a month and a half ago. This am my girlfriend brought this huge mess to my attention... It seems she has been wiping this brown "slime" out of our dishwasher ever since we switched to these tablets and she didn't know what to do about it. She thought there was something wrong with DW... I took lower half of DW apart and it is full of this brown "slime"!!! The screen and all the lower unit parts are all covered in it! We never had this issue with any other brand of DW tablets and I am SURE it's from this product!!! I am a retired plumber so it's not like I'm some uninformed homeowner! I would not buy this product!!

Original review: April 26, 2017

Like a lot of subscribers, I have used Finish products in my dishwasher for many years and have been satisfied with the results, however since Finish decided to withdraw Liquid from the market I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. Finish Gel isn't any good and I am equally disappointed in Finish Powerball Classic tablets. What is happening with Finish products and why can't they do the job they are supposed to do ie clean the items in our dishwashers.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Regarding Finish Advanced Formula Dishwasher Gel! Warning! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! It will render your dishwasher all but useless in respects to its ability to clean dishes, and require hours of tedious and difficult work that includes the need to dismantle the interior of the dishwasher, in order to TRY and remove what this product leaves in your dishwasher. Rubbery, elasticized blue gunk to be exact, as evidenced in my photo. Had I been able to do so, I'd have also included a video in order to show exactly what I mean! This product should be taken off the market, or at a minimum, require a warning on the label!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I purchased and had installed a new Bosch Dishwasher 3/13/2017. Dishwasher was installed 3/16/2017. I used it the first time on 3/18/2017 with Finish Powerball Quantum max. The pad did not dissolve. I tried it again on 3/20/2017 and the same results. I have read other reviews with similar or same results. What is the secret to using your product? I don't want to damaged my appliance.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Having enjoyed using Finish dishwasher liquid for decades it is getting really difficult to find. I hope it is not being discontinued. So reluctantly I am having to buy alternatives. I have tried the new formula Finish powder 'lemon sparkle' a few times and have not once had an acceptable wash with it. Reject items numbered from 13-15 plus cutlery. The powder goes into the dispenser easily enough - all light, dry and fluffy but some of it remains behind in the dispenser when the wash has completed (long wash). It is then hard to clear out. One time the whole lot of powder had solidified in the dispenser and it took ages to manually dig it out with the end of a spoon. I am no longer using it as it is not fit for purpose. Please let me know whether you can exchange it for Finish liquid. I am trying the gel now - it is not perfect either and am having to wash by hand tea and coffee mugs. Please let me know where I can continue to buy the liquid - I live in GU24.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I purchased a large box of the Finish Dishwasher Tablets at Sam's Club. I usually use another type of product but thought I would try something new. Big mistake. My dishes aren't clean, they are dull, and the tablet does not dissolve. I found that out after a few double washings. I'm not able to take the product back but I will, of course, not buy it again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I bought the large pack of supercharged Powerball pods at our local HEB grocery store. When I used a pod it did not dissolve. I thought I had not loaded it properly so I tried another pod for the next wash. It dissolved but there was a white film on all the dishes, glasses and silverware. I have used pods before and this did not happen. I went to Walmart and bought Finish quantum Max. I found that this was a far superior product. So what should I do with the large pack of pods? They are junk.

Finish Dishwasher Detergent Company Information