1.52/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Finish Dishwasher Detergent

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 21, 2017

132 Finish Dishwasher Detergent Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I switched to Finish from Cascade because I have very hard water and Finish was the only thing that worked with my dishwasher. Their Gelpacs were awesome. Now they discontinued them and have the PowerBalls. They don't work with my hard water. I am so disappointed. Now I don't know what to use in my dishwasher! Why did they have to change their product. According to all the reviews I've read, there were no complaints about the Gelpacs. Now no one is happy! Listen up, Finish! You've lost a lot of customers over this!

Original review: July 25, 2017

We bought a large box of the FINISH pacs with red dot at BJ'S Wholesale. They worked fine for half the box, now my dishes and especially my utensils are coming out with a sticky feeling to them. I always have my FINISH JET DRY filled. Will not be buying these again nor CASCADE pacs. Have read numerous complaints about that brand also.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 19, 2017

I have used the product approximately 5 times in my dishwasher cycle and each time the same results. The powerball does not completely dissolve and the residue that is left is sticky, a little oily and difficult to remove.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I have been using Finish Gel for years. Way back when, it was called "FINISH" and then changed the name to ELECTRASOL. Then a few years ago it changed back to "FINISH", stating it was a new name. I am 80 so I go back always. I absolutely swear this is the best dish washing liquid on the market. I only use the gel, not the Gelpacs. I had a very bad experience with Cascade, both with their powdered formula and their "pacs". Quite a few were broken in the bag so I never bought them again. The powdered formula left a white film all over my drinking glasses and I could never get it removed. So much for Cascade!

Original review: June 4, 2017

We have had decent results with the Finish Tabs that are in the foil-like individual wrappers, for several years. We were recently in BJ's Wholesale about a month ago and purchased a new box of Finish Tabs, but there were in a supposedly dissolving plastic wrapper. Within a week our dishwasher (a $1,000 Bosch - which is a wonderful dishwasher) was non-functional. The Bosch factory repairman came out and had to replace a component and cleaned out a bunch of plastic wrappers from the drain in the dishwasher. He said to never use those again and has seen numerous problems with them. We have tried them since by unwrapping first, and they still don't clean worth a darn. A generic grocery store powder brand does a better job. These guys cost us $225 in an otherwise unneeded repair. DONE with Finish!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finish Dishwasher Detergent?

Original review: May 1, 2017

We bought a LARGE box of these at "Sam's" Club about a month and a half ago. This am my girlfriend brought this huge mess to my attention... It seems she has been wiping this brown "slime" out of our dishwasher ever since we switched to these tablets and she didn't know what to do about it. She thought there was something wrong with DW... I took lower half of DW apart and it is full of this brown "slime"!!! The screen and all the lower unit parts are all covered in it! We never had this issue with any other brand of DW tablets and I am SURE it's from this product!!! I am a retired plumber so it's not like I'm some uninformed homeowner! I would not buy this product!!

Original review: April 26, 2017

Like a lot of subscribers, I have used Finish products in my dishwasher for many years and have been satisfied with the results, however since Finish decided to withdraw Liquid from the market I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. Finish Gel isn't any good and I am equally disappointed in Finish Powerball Classic tablets. What is happening with Finish products and why can't they do the job they are supposed to do ie clean the items in our dishwashers.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Regarding Finish Advanced Formula Dishwasher Gel! Warning! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! It will render your dishwasher all but useless in respects to its ability to clean dishes, and require hours of tedious and difficult work that includes the need to dismantle the interior of the dishwasher, in order to TRY and remove what this product leaves in your dishwasher. Rubbery, elasticized blue gunk to be exact, as evidenced in my photo. Had I been able to do so, I'd have also included a video in order to show exactly what I mean! This product should be taken off the market, or at a minimum, require a warning on the label!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I purchased and had installed a new Bosch Dishwasher 3/13/2017. Dishwasher was installed 3/16/2017. I used it the first time on 3/18/2017 with Finish Powerball Quantum max. The pad did not dissolve. I tried it again on 3/20/2017 and the same results. I have read other reviews with similar or same results. What is the secret to using your product? I don't want to damaged my appliance.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Having enjoyed using Finish dishwasher liquid for decades it is getting really difficult to find. I hope it is not being discontinued. So reluctantly I am having to buy alternatives. I have tried the new formula Finish powder 'lemon sparkle' a few times and have not once had an acceptable wash with it. Reject items numbered from 13-15 plus cutlery. The powder goes into the dispenser easily enough - all light, dry and fluffy but some of it remains behind in the dispenser when the wash has completed (long wash). It is then hard to clear out. One time the whole lot of powder had solidified in the dispenser and it took ages to manually dig it out with the end of a spoon. I am no longer using it as it is not fit for purpose. Please let me know whether you can exchange it for Finish liquid. I am trying the gel now - it is not perfect either and am having to wash by hand tea and coffee mugs. Please let me know where I can continue to buy the liquid - I live in GU24.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I purchased a large box of the Finish Dishwasher Tablets at Sam's Club. I usually use another type of product but thought I would try something new. Big mistake. My dishes aren't clean, they are dull, and the tablet does not dissolve. I found that out after a few double washings. I'm not able to take the product back but I will, of course, not buy it again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I bought the large pack of supercharged Powerball pods at our local HEB grocery store. When I used a pod it did not dissolve. I thought I had not loaded it properly so I tried another pod for the next wash. It dissolved but there was a white film on all the dishes, glasses and silverware. I have used pods before and this did not happen. I went to Walmart and bought Finish quantum Max. I found that this was a far superior product. So what should I do with the large pack of pods? They are junk.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I have used Finish Classic Liquid white dishwasher product for years with excellent results only to find it has now been discontinued and replaced by a blue gel. This new gel leaves cups stained and glasses ruined. How can a company treat its loyal, satisfied and presumably valued customers in this way? Was this product not tested before being imposed on the public? I am sure I speak for all your dissatisfied customers when requesting a return to the shelves of the white dishwasher Liquid or an equivalent product that does the job satisfactorily. I would appreciate a response from the company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I have been using Finish for many years, even years before the name was changed from Electrasol to Finish, and I wouldn't use anything else. However, about two months ago I started noticing spots and residue even though I always use Jet Dry as well. Since I had never had a problem with Finish before, at first I blamed it on the water temperature, like maybe it wasn't hot enough because I had just done some laundry... but that wasn't it. Then I blamed it on the dishwasher. I took removed every part that would come out and cleaned the float, filter and everything else I could find thoroughly with a toothbrush... even though it didn't appear to be very dirty. That didn't help either.

Then I ran it twice with a bowl of vinegar on the bottom rack and that did nothing. In fact, as time went by the problem with spotting and residue seemed to get worse, so I started looking at everything very closely and was shocked to realize that NONE of the dishes were being cleaned at all... and I even semi-wash them by hand before they even go into the dishwasher. My next idea was to try a commercial dishwasher cleaning product but, after two of those, my dishes still are not being cleaned. I was at my wit's end trying to figure out the problem, but it never occurred to me that it could be the Finish.

I relentlessly scoured the internet and came up with nothing that I hadn't already tried, so I was seriously considering replacing the dishwasher. But just today, I realized that this problem started about the same time that I opened a new huge box of Finish tabs and had to face the fact that the detergent might be the problem. So, just to make sure, I went out and bought some Cascade and, lo and behold, my dishes came out clean again. I don't know what they did to change the product, but it's definitely not good anymore. They have lost a very loyal customer, and I'm never going back.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Finish all in 1 Gelpacs. These do leave my glassware cloudy. I have used other Finish products and have had no problem with my glassware but now I have to scrub each glass with detergent before putting in dishwasher. I have enough gel packs to last through 10-12 weeks but will have to find something else to use.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I recently bought a pack of the Quantum Max Lemon Sparkle. I have always used Finish dishwasher tablets and haven't really had any problems with them. Since buying these however, I have found that my dishes just aren't getting clean. I'm having to soak them in water first until I'm ready to put the machine on which is just a waste of my time. I have also noticed that the glaze is coming off my crockery bought from Selfridges in London. I touched the pattern today when taking them out of the dishwasher and the pattern started to come off onto my fingers. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

Finish Power Balls - Our dishwasher flooded. I pulled out the filter and noticed a heavy residue. Also, the dishwasher had a white residue which was like a "gum" when I scraped it with my nail. It was definitely a soap residue. Horrible product as this has now screwed up our hardwood floors!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Entire pod flipped into flatware basket. Here is a good one. Put pod in and securely closed the door. When I was putting away the flatware I found the intact pod in the holder nearest the detergent door. What's up with that?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have been a regular user of Finish Dishwasher powder for years. When I had to replace my dishwasher earlier this year, the powder was even more effective than in my previous dishwasher. I was delighted. Some 6 weeks ago I needed a replacement. There was no dishwasher powder in stock, so I bought, for the first time, the Finish lemon dishwasher gel. What a mistake! It doesn't clean my crockery, leaving stains constantly on cups which have held tea and coffee. Unfortunately, my supermarket (Sainsbury) appears to have stopped stocking the powder. So I'm now looking for a supermarket which can supply it, OR I shall be looking for a different product. I gather that Finish have received similar feedback from other customers. What action are you taking, please?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Destroyed Dishes and Damaged Dishwasher. My dishes are ruined, and my fairly new dishwasher has a build up that doesn't come off. This is the only product we have used to wash dishes since purchasing the new dishwasher. Before that we always used Cascade and never had this problem. Some of the dishes are 60 years old and are now dull and cloudy. The ones that are used less frequently still look like new, but the dishes washed every day are etched and ugly even though they are only 3 years old.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I am very upset with this brand that I have used for years. All of a sudden I experience most of the symptoms reported by other reviewers. Mostly the whitish greasy film deposited on all plastic items and a foul smell that escapes from the dishwasher as the door is open. The bag containing the tabs is kept sealed at all times. Finish ought to reformulate the product or reword its advertising.

Original review: March 18, 2016

I do not like the finish pods, tabs or whatever they are called. They leave a blue rubber like substance inside the filter that will eventually harden like a rock and clog. I used them 4 times and had to remove blue rubber leftover from inside the arm because it would not spin and just now took the filter apart and had to clean it with a toothbrush to remove the leftover blue film because the water did not completely drain and was left in the pump. What a mess! They didn't dissolve and left a hard film on my dishes and inside the washer. I'm sure there is more where I can't see it so eventually will probably need a repair. I might add, my dishwasher is a year old and I have very hot water.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2016

I have used Finish Powerball in my dishwasher with excellent results. Purchased a box from Costco in December 2015 and now there is a greasy, gummy pinkish residue in the bottom of the dishwasher and in the filter which is very hard to remove. These tabs are in a wrapper that must be removed. The packages I purchased from a grocery store are in a plastic casing that dissolves in the dishwasher.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I always used a different product for my dishes but Woolworths had these on sale so I thought I would try them. Finish is usually very expensive and I don't like to spend so much for dishes. But it was a very disappointing experience. I have a Miele dishwasher and it usually does a great job. Now I have this pink chewing gum like goop in my filter and the dishes are not nice at all. What is this stuff?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I use Finish Powerball tabs. Recently, some tabs crumbled when unwrapped. I tried Quantum which need no unwrapping. When I opened the package I became ill from chemical fumes. I never even tried the tabs. I am going back to Finish and not storing them under the sink where heat pipes may have dried them. I did not buy online.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2015

We always buy the Finish Quantum Max dishwasher detergent. When I was at the store I accidentally bought the Max in 1. Didn't think much about it. The bag says no need to unwrap. Did a load a dishes and the bar didn't even dissolve. We figured maybe it was defective, did the load again, same thing. I unwrapped it to see if that would help. Nope, 3rd time washing the same dishes and they are still dirty. I could not be more upset about wasting money and water to get dirty dishes. I went back to the store today and bought the kind we usually buy. How can the same company make products so different?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

Purchased new KitchenAid dishwasher. Tried this product but doesn't seem to rotate or dispense soap. Dishes come out the way they were put in, FILTHY. Tried more than one dispenser.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

Have been using Finish products satisfactorily for several years. In the last few months began using the Gelpacs and these pacs are sticking together. They are stored properly and my hands are not wet when removing from the box. Last week there were two pacs stuck together and gel went everywhere. Today there were four stuck together. Part of one in the washer and all else down the sink drain. I will not purchase this product again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

In Florida, I have used Finish dishwasher products for years without problems. After moving to Maine full time, bought 4 new boxes of Powerball from Costco. Last fall, we started to notice residue on our dishes, glasses and utensils. We thought that our water filtration system was going bad. We spent over $2,500 having our water tested (it was fine) and a new filtration system installed. Because our dishwasher detergent was the same as we have always used, we never suspected that it could be the problem!

After using the new boxes of Finish Powerball Fresh Scent, 110 count, as well as their Jet Dry additive, our dishwasher turned a nasty brown on the inside (it's stainless steel) and the plastic racks are now a very dark brown. We also have dishes, both plastic and porcelain, that are stained brown and etched glassware as well. I don't know if they changed the formula or what but I am so very disappointed that this company has not addressed this problem by putting warnings on the box! I intend to return the product to Costco and will never, ever use this product again.

Original review: July 24, 2015

I would not recommend using Finish Powerball Tabs. After using them for the first couple of times, our perfectly functioning dishwasher would not circulate water. After cleaning it thoroughly, somehow we got it working again. Unfortunately, not putting two and two together, I used the Finish Powerball again and as a result the dishwasher quit working again. After a month of hand washing dishes, I made a ditch effort to try the dishwasher again, this time with my Cascade packet. It's been working great ever since. So I'm guessing Finish clogged the drain and it took several weeks to dissolve. This product is on its way to the garbage.

Finish Dishwasher Detergent Company Information