1.49/5
Based on 127 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

141 Finish Dishwasher Detergent Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

I tried this product because it was on sale and decided to give it a try. The soap is in a tablet form that leaves residue on ALL your dishes. I have to re-rinse all dishes after they are washed in the dishwasher. Very dissatisfied with the product. I will never purchase this product again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I bought a mega box of Finish Powerball All in 1. Worst mistake ever! Spent a fortune on this box just to ruin all of my dishes! A white film all over my dishes. I've had to throw away most of them because the film won't come off! $100 worth of dishes ruined! Glass, plastic, silverware, plates, bowls and pans ruined. Also been getting stomach problems ever since I bought them. Wondering if it's the film. I'll never waste my money again. I demand a refund!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I bought a large box of these from Poundland and had to buy the gel tablets after using only 5 of them. They kept leaving residue all over everything which was resolved after switching to gel tablets. Annoyed about the waste of money. I don't recommend these tablets!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

When using the Finish Quantum Max Powerball I have notice a very strong chemical smell. I just realized that our stomach issues may be due to this chemical. We are going to have blood test to see if there is something in this product that is causing us to be sick. This problem only started when we bought this product. Has anyone else gotten sick from this extremely strong chemical product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Not impressed!! Pods rarely dissolve, even using extra hot mode and heavy wash, tried restarting dishwasher over 6 times... Even cleaned my dishwasher with Affresh prior to and after. Plates found to be cracked when the pods did dissolve a bit. My dishwasher is over a year old and doesn't work properly!!! Really not impressed. Wasted money on different ones, quantum powerball. I will never buy these again! I've never been so disappointed in a product as this one! I rate it 0/10.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Finish Dishwasher Detergent?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Finish Powerball dishwasher detergent has ruined my pots and pans. After using this detergent, the exterior of all of my pots and pans has become mottled. I have begun washing them by hand until I get more detergent. When I go to dry them, the finish wipes off with the dishtowel. I have had these pans for many years without a problem with any other detergent. I thought I was getting a bargain when I bought this detergent on sale but it has cost me the price of replacing my set of cookware.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Bought the Finish power ball Max in 1 at Sam's Club. I faithfully used Cascade for years but decided I'd try Finish because it was on sale. HUGE mistake! It has literally EATEN off the lettering of some of our licensed college mugs (if you even touch them they smear) and has dulled the finish on other dishware items. The inside of my stainless steel dishwasher has discoloration and an oily residue. I've only used this product for a week. I will be taking the unused portion back to Sam's for a refund. I only wish I could be reimbursed for the mugs that were destroyed. Multiples at 15.00 each... This is the worst product I've ever used. The mug in the picture was like new until I used Finish in my dishwasher. It had been washed with Cascade countless times. But once with Finish and the logo is ruined. Do not use this product!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Sadly I bought box of 54 tablets of Finish Tablet Powerball for my dishwasher but a good third of the box, the silver foil which is to contain the tablet was filled with air (and NO tablet). Something certainly amiss at the production line and/or quality control. Plus, opening up the silver foil isn't easy if your hands are wet (from the dishes or loading the dishwasher)... Hassle.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We started having issues with our dishes not coming clean with our previous brand, so switched to the Finish Powerball tablets. Our dishes are getting clean, but now there is a terrible, goopy, slightly oily, reddish-brown residue all over our filter and the bottom of our dishwasher. It took me forever to get the thing scrubbed out, and I can only imagine that it is from the red Powerball in the middle of the tablets. I certainly won't be using these again, the amount of gunk from just a week's worth of use is unbelievable. It had completely clogged both filters!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I switched to Finish from Cascade because I have very hard water and Finish was the only thing that worked with my dishwasher. Their Gelpacs were awesome. Now they discontinued them and have the PowerBalls. They don't work with my hard water. I am so disappointed. Now I don't know what to use in my dishwasher! Why did they have to change their product. According to all the reviews I've read, there were no complaints about the Gelpacs. Now no one is happy! Listen up, Finish! You've lost a lot of customers over this!

Original review: July 25, 2017

We bought a large box of the FINISH pacs with red dot at BJ'S Wholesale. They worked fine for half the box, now my dishes and especially my utensils are coming out with a sticky feeling to them. I always have my FINISH JET DRY filled. Will not be buying these again nor CASCADE pacs. Have read numerous complaints about that brand also.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have used the product approximately 5 times in my dishwasher cycle and each time the same results. The powerball does not completely dissolve and the residue that is left is sticky, a little oily and difficult to remove.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I have been using Finish Gel for years. Way back when, it was called "FINISH" and then changed the name to ELECTRASOL. Then a few years ago it changed back to "FINISH", stating it was a new name. I am 80 so I go back always. I absolutely swear this is the best dish washing liquid on the market. I only use the gel, not the Gelpacs. I had a very bad experience with Cascade, both with their powdered formula and their "pacs". Quite a few were broken in the bag so I never bought them again. The powdered formula left a white film all over my drinking glasses and I could never get it removed. So much for Cascade!

Original review: June 4, 2017

We have had decent results with the Finish Tabs that are in the foil-like individual wrappers, for several years. We were recently in BJ's Wholesale about a month ago and purchased a new box of Finish Tabs, but there were in a supposedly dissolving plastic wrapper. Within a week our dishwasher (a $1,000 Bosch - which is a wonderful dishwasher) was non-functional. The Bosch factory repairman came out and had to replace a component and cleaned out a bunch of plastic wrappers from the drain in the dishwasher. He said to never use those again and has seen numerous problems with them. We have tried them since by unwrapping first, and they still don't clean worth a darn. A generic grocery store powder brand does a better job. These guys cost us $225 in an otherwise unneeded repair. DONE with Finish!

Original review: May 1, 2017

We bought a LARGE box of these at "Sam's" Club about a month and a half ago. This am my girlfriend brought this huge mess to my attention... It seems she has been wiping this brown "slime" out of our dishwasher ever since we switched to these tablets and she didn't know what to do about it. She thought there was something wrong with DW... I took lower half of DW apart and it is full of this brown "slime"!!! The screen and all the lower unit parts are all covered in it! We never had this issue with any other brand of DW tablets and I am SURE it's from this product!!! I am a retired plumber so it's not like I'm some uninformed homeowner! I would not buy this product!!

Original review: April 26, 2017

Like a lot of subscribers, I have used Finish products in my dishwasher for many years and have been satisfied with the results, however since Finish decided to withdraw Liquid from the market I have been unable to find a suitable replacement. Finish Gel isn't any good and I am equally disappointed in Finish Powerball Classic tablets. What is happening with Finish products and why can't they do the job they are supposed to do ie clean the items in our dishwashers.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Regarding Finish Advanced Formula Dishwasher Gel! Warning! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! It will render your dishwasher all but useless in respects to its ability to clean dishes, and require hours of tedious and difficult work that includes the need to dismantle the interior of the dishwasher, in order to TRY and remove what this product leaves in your dishwasher. Rubbery, elasticized blue gunk to be exact, as evidenced in my photo. Had I been able to do so, I'd have also included a video in order to show exactly what I mean! This product should be taken off the market, or at a minimum, require a warning on the label!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I purchased and had installed a new Bosch Dishwasher 3/13/2017. Dishwasher was installed 3/16/2017. I used it the first time on 3/18/2017 with Finish Powerball Quantum max. The pad did not dissolve. I tried it again on 3/20/2017 and the same results. I have read other reviews with similar or same results. What is the secret to using your product? I don't want to damaged my appliance.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Having enjoyed using Finish dishwasher liquid for decades it is getting really difficult to find. I hope it is not being discontinued. So reluctantly I am having to buy alternatives. I have tried the new formula Finish powder 'lemon sparkle' a few times and have not once had an acceptable wash with it. Reject items numbered from 13-15 plus cutlery. The powder goes into the dispenser easily enough - all light, dry and fluffy but some of it remains behind in the dispenser when the wash has completed (long wash). It is then hard to clear out. One time the whole lot of powder had solidified in the dispenser and it took ages to manually dig it out with the end of a spoon. I am no longer using it as it is not fit for purpose. Please let me know whether you can exchange it for Finish liquid. I am trying the gel now - it is not perfect either and am having to wash by hand tea and coffee mugs. Please let me know where I can continue to buy the liquid - I live in GU24.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I purchased a large box of the Finish Dishwasher Tablets at Sam's Club. I usually use another type of product but thought I would try something new. Big mistake. My dishes aren't clean, they are dull, and the tablet does not dissolve. I found that out after a few double washings. I'm not able to take the product back but I will, of course, not buy it again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I bought the large pack of supercharged Powerball pods at our local HEB grocery store. When I used a pod it did not dissolve. I thought I had not loaded it properly so I tried another pod for the next wash. It dissolved but there was a white film on all the dishes, glasses and silverware. I have used pods before and this did not happen. I went to Walmart and bought Finish quantum Max. I found that this was a far superior product. So what should I do with the large pack of pods? They are junk.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

I have used Finish Classic Liquid white dishwasher product for years with excellent results only to find it has now been discontinued and replaced by a blue gel. This new gel leaves cups stained and glasses ruined. How can a company treat its loyal, satisfied and presumably valued customers in this way? Was this product not tested before being imposed on the public? I am sure I speak for all your dissatisfied customers when requesting a return to the shelves of the white dishwasher Liquid or an equivalent product that does the job satisfactorily. I would appreciate a response from the company.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

I have been using Finish for many years, even years before the name was changed from Electrasol to Finish, and I wouldn't use anything else. However, about two months ago I started noticing spots and residue even though I always use Jet Dry as well. Since I had never had a problem with Finish before, at first I blamed it on the water temperature, like maybe it wasn't hot enough because I had just done some laundry... but that wasn't it. Then I blamed it on the dishwasher. I took removed every part that would come out and cleaned the float, filter and everything else I could find thoroughly with a toothbrush... even though it didn't appear to be very dirty. That didn't help either.

Then I ran it twice with a bowl of vinegar on the bottom rack and that did nothing. In fact, as time went by the problem with spotting and residue seemed to get worse, so I started looking at everything very closely and was shocked to realize that NONE of the dishes were being cleaned at all... and I even semi-wash them by hand before they even go into the dishwasher. My next idea was to try a commercial dishwasher cleaning product but, after two of those, my dishes still are not being cleaned. I was at my wit's end trying to figure out the problem, but it never occurred to me that it could be the Finish.

I relentlessly scoured the internet and came up with nothing that I hadn't already tried, so I was seriously considering replacing the dishwasher. But just today, I realized that this problem started about the same time that I opened a new huge box of Finish tabs and had to face the fact that the detergent might be the problem. So, just to make sure, I went out and bought some Cascade and, lo and behold, my dishes came out clean again. I don't know what they did to change the product, but it's definitely not good anymore. They have lost a very loyal customer, and I'm never going back.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

Finish all in 1 Gelpacs. These do leave my glassware cloudy. I have used other Finish products and have had no problem with my glassware but now I have to scrub each glass with detergent before putting in dishwasher. I have enough gel packs to last through 10-12 weeks but will have to find something else to use.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I recently bought a pack of the Quantum Max Lemon Sparkle. I have always used Finish dishwasher tablets and haven't really had any problems with them. Since buying these however, I have found that my dishes just aren't getting clean. I'm having to soak them in water first until I'm ready to put the machine on which is just a waste of my time. I have also noticed that the glaze is coming off my crockery bought from Selfridges in London. I touched the pattern today when taking them out of the dishwasher and the pattern started to come off onto my fingers. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

Finish Power Balls - Our dishwasher flooded. I pulled out the filter and noticed a heavy residue. Also, the dishwasher had a white residue which was like a "gum" when I scraped it with my nail. It was definitely a soap residue. Horrible product as this has now screwed up our hardwood floors!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Entire pod flipped into flatware basket. Here is a good one. Put pod in and securely closed the door. When I was putting away the flatware I found the intact pod in the holder nearest the detergent door. What's up with that?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

I have been a regular user of Finish Dishwasher powder for years. When I had to replace my dishwasher earlier this year, the powder was even more effective than in my previous dishwasher. I was delighted. Some 6 weeks ago I needed a replacement. There was no dishwasher powder in stock, so I bought, for the first time, the Finish lemon dishwasher gel. What a mistake! It doesn't clean my crockery, leaving stains constantly on cups which have held tea and coffee. Unfortunately, my supermarket (Sainsbury) appears to have stopped stocking the powder. So I'm now looking for a supermarket which can supply it, OR I shall be looking for a different product. I gather that Finish have received similar feedback from other customers. What action are you taking, please?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Destroyed Dishes and Damaged Dishwasher. My dishes are ruined, and my fairly new dishwasher has a build up that doesn't come off. This is the only product we have used to wash dishes since purchasing the new dishwasher. Before that we always used Cascade and never had this problem. Some of the dishes are 60 years old and are now dull and cloudy. The ones that are used less frequently still look like new, but the dishes washed every day are etched and ugly even though they are only 3 years old.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I am very upset with this brand that I have used for years. All of a sudden I experience most of the symptoms reported by other reviewers. Mostly the whitish greasy film deposited on all plastic items and a foul smell that escapes from the dishwasher as the door is open. The bag containing the tabs is kept sealed at all times. Finish ought to reformulate the product or reword its advertising.

Finish Dishwasher Detergent Company Information