Fantom Technologies

Compare Appliances

Research top Appliances recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I purchased a Fantom vacuum cleaner in 1993. I mainly bought it because it was purported to be strong and need no vacuum bags. In addition, it had a filtration system to help keep smaller particles of dirt from getting into the air while cleaning, a plus to a mother raising children with disabilities. It is now 2015 and I still have my original unit. It still works on my day-to-day vacuuming jobs. It has lost a little of its punch and I no longer try to get replacement filters... My kids are long gone. This is the only purchase I have made in my life that has had such a long and satisfactory story!

Many of the reviews I have seen relate to what I've heard about the company. Now being 2015, there's fewer and fewer of these vacuum cleaners in existence, and the ones that are still out there have seen their better days. I have took time to study and see where they went wrong.

-The power cord: I've noticed on all models, the power cord does get warm after light use. I haven't ran across any that have caught on fire, or came even remotely close, but my theory is that the wire gauge is too small to run a 12 amp motor at 120 volts. Because the company is no longer in business, there are no support options anymore. A simple fix for this issue would be to take the unit apart, and replace the power cord from the inside. The wires should match up by color (black to black, white to white) but keep in mind to buy a cord for a different vacuum cleaner (bissell, hoover, etc). This will prevent the issue from occurring again. Use crimp connectors to attach the wires together, and make sure to lightly tug on the connections to ensure they won't come loose during use.

-Fantom Fury: I noticed that a large amount of dust somehow makes it into the motor, causing a loud noise and vibration during use. There is a metal impeller on the motor which creates suction when the vacuum is on. To fix this, make sure the vacuum is unplugged, and take it apart down to the motor, and use an air compressor with an air wand to remove the dust build up in the impeller. Put it back together, it should make a huge difference. Not sure why this occurs, probably a filtration issue of some sort. I've ran across this multiple times.

-Fantom Lightning: Make sure you keep the mesh pre-filter clean. This will prevent damage.

Fantom FM718 - I've had this vacuum for many years. Recently though, the motor thermal protector has been cutting off with barely one room being done. I took the vacuum apart and gave it a thorough cleaning, including the little filter over the motor. This hasn't helped the problem. I would like to keep this vacuum, so if anyone has a suggestion to correct this problem please email me at **. Thanks.

I've had my Fantom ever since they first came out on the market. Bought it in 1997 and have had it ever since and the only thing I have ever had to replace is the belt every once in awhile. Or change out the HEPA filter. It picks up the pet hair and dander really great. And it has never failed me once. The price I paid for it when I bought it at Target stores, it has paid for itself and then some. I choose it over Dyson products which reek in my opinion. Dyson an overpriced piece of lousy technology. If you got a Dyson, chuck it..... What a lemon. My Fantom which happens to be over 18 years old, outperforms the Dyson in a side by side test. And I own both. I use the Fantom while the Dyson gathers dust in the corner...... It does pick up cat litter that is tracked on the floor. You just have to go over it a bit more but that is normal with most uprights..... Litter is heavy......

The machine does not work well. My family has two cats who manage to get cat litter all over the place. When I used the Fantom to vacuum the litter up, I must go over the area multiple times and then it still isn't clean. The reason I stop is that the Fantom shuts off and I have to wait an hour for it to cool down and reset itself. When vacuuming any room, I'm lucky to finish the whole room before it shuts off. (Yes the canister is clean and the hepa filter is clean before I start.) What a waste of money. If I want anything done, I have to pull out my old Electrolux to get the job done. Maybe it's time to get a new Electrolux. (?)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fantom Technologies?

I purchased a Phantom Vac approximately 5 years ago. I had the Vac for less than a few months and it clogged and would not pick up any dirt. I tried cleaning it and it would not work, so I sent it back and received a new vac. The new vac worked for a few months and the same thing happened. I put the vac in a corner and started using a less expensive model that did not work well. Recently, a friend came by and worked on cleaning the Phantom Vac because the less expensive model that I purchased stopped working after approximately 3 years or so. My friend was able to get the Phantom working again and I cleaned with it just two times and the unit completely shut down and now, I can't even get it to turn on and off. The Phantom was not worth the $240 I paid for it. The vac was nothing but a waste of money.

I only purchased the model because I thought it would save me money, due to not having to buy vac bags, but it turned out to be a horrible investment because I had to buy a less expensive vac and still had to purchase vac bags. I wasted $240 and a tune of time and energy trying to get the Phantom to do the job I expected it to do.

Roughly 3 years ago i purchased a Fantom vaccum cleaner off of the HSN and a year after use the cord caught on fire. I reported it to the company and after arguing with the sales rep they replaced my vaccum with a smaller cheaper model but i was ok with it seeing as i really needed a vaccum that worked. It has been a year and just yesterday the cord on the newer vaccum caught on fire and almost burnt my husband foot.

I cannot find any contact information and was told that the company was out of business- what can i do? This is a defect in the product and i feel as it should be replaced- again.

Again I am out of a vaccum with a hosehold containing 3 messy children and the ignition from the electrical cord almost burnt my husband foot- this is unsafe.

I called to complain that when I try to use the power nozzle on the vacuum the body of the vacuum where the plug for the power nozzle goes in gets real hot and the whole machinr shuts off. I told him that I know that it is in the machine where the plug is as I am using the power nozzle on my old Electrolux machine as the one for my Electrolux machine was not working and this one had the same connections so I tried to see if it would work on my electrolux and it does. I asked him where I could bring the machine to get it fixed and he said that I had to send it back to Plattsburg in the same super large box it came in along with all the attachments and a cheque for $16.95 USD and they will try to fix it or they will send me a new one but I had to pay for the shipping to get it back as well. All I wanted was a place to take it to get fixed not have to spend the price of a new one to send it to them to get fixed or replaced.

I purchsed the Fantom at the end of June, for about three weeks the vacuum worked okay. Then i have had all kinds of problems with hair stopping the brushes from rotating, it has completely stopped sucking, i can't even get cracker crumbs off the floor. In the beginning of September i sent an e-mail to HSN and they provided me the contact info for Fantom. The guy told me that i would have to pay for shipping there and back. Are these people crazy!?!?

they also said it would take approx. 4 weeks to repair. what the heck am i going to use in the meantime?? i've dished out over $200 for this machine and now i have to spend another $60 to get it repaired? That is ridiculous. i will never buy from HSN nor From any unknow location.. customer service sucks!

I purchased a Fantom Stick Vac from K-Mart in September or October of 2005. Because of work being done on the house I needed a new filter in late November according to the light on the vacuum. I was unable to find a store in my area that sold the filters for that vacuum (one company said they were told they could not sell the Fantom filters unless they sold the Fantom product line) so I went to the internet and found the company's website. I wasn't sure how long the filter would last so I went ahead and ordered two filters on 12/6/05.

On 12/27/05 my card was debited for the order. Here's what's happening/not happening so far: 12/6/05: ordered two filters 1/19/06: I emailed fantom to find out where the filters were and when I could expect them. 1/20/06: they replied by email (I kept it) saying the order went out on December 23rd and since I hadn't received it they would reship it as soon as possible.

1/21/06: I could not reply to the address on the email and had to go back to the fantom website to verify my address and out when I could expect the filters to arrive. 1/25/06: they replied by email (I kept it) saying that my parts were on backorder but a shipment was expected to arrive January 29th and as soon as they came in they would be shipped immediately.

2/1/06: I emailed them to again to ask when I could expect the filters. 2/2/06: They replied saying the order had been sent out January 31st and that it should arrive shortly. 2/6/06: I emailed them saying I was no longer patient and wanted them to send the filters to me by express order. 2/10/06: I emailed them requesting my money back. There is no address or phone number on the website - how do I get it? My next problem is that I STILL need the filter; any idea where I can get them?

I purchase the Fantom Cannister Vacuum, order number on 12/30/2004 from HSN. i USED THE VACUUM APPROXIMATELY three times since I was away from home often in 2005. When I called the service no. 1-800-275-9251 listed on the brochure that accompanied the vacuum the service was very poor and I was disconnected (on their end) and after many phone calls was able to speak with someone.

They said one thing and eventually changed that...with no apology...and said I would have to send the entire vacuum to their address in New York state. This creates a great problem for me as I am disabled and have no means of transportation. I spoke with a local repairman that said that Fantom has declared bankruptsy and it has the poorest rating of any vacuum on the market. After some time he said, I should know, as I used to be their repairman in this area. My complaint, how could a company with HSN's reputation sell a product that was so poorly rated and all the time promoting it's superios qualities. I have always had a high regard for HSN but no longer.

I sent my powerhead for repair on December 18, 2004. It was under warranty. I have not gotten it back and repeated emails have gone unanswered. I sent it by DHL and received a notice that the package I sent it in had been delivered. The powerhead was broken when I received the vacuum and I have never used the vacuum.

Many years ago I purchased a Fantom Vacuum from a company HSN. The Vacuum had a 3 year warranty that came with it. When I had a problem with my vacuum, I learned that you were no longer in business and filed bankruptcy. Today I see that you are now up an running the Fantom Vacuums once again on what is called the Americasstore.com-HSN.com(Feb. 28-04). I no longer have my vacuum since it was going to cost me 153.17 to replace the motor and parts. I feel that you at Fantom should honor the warranty that I had on my vacuum.

After trying to contact your company while under warranty, and since you were filing bankruptcy should have notified the owners of your products that your company was having problems is a sneaky thing to do to the consumers. I purchased it when I lived in West Los Angeles on Federal Ave. I hope your company does the right thing and honor my warranty and replace my Vacuum. After trying to contact you and finding out that your number was out of order/business. How was able to use my 3 yr. warranty that you came with the purchase of my Vacuum.

I lost $237.00 and had only 8 mths usage of the vacuum. The comapny ripped me off.

Brought the vaccum and one of the wheels fell off. The vaccum is only 4 months old.

I pyrchased the fantom vaccum 2-3 years ago and took it in to be service last year and found out that fantom had files bankruptcy and they would not service it. It was still under warranty and found out that my warranty was not any good since fantom filed bankruptcy.Now I have this fantom vaccum cleaner sitting in a corner that I can use and it really makes me mad I spent over $200. for a vaccum that is now collecting dust.I called fantom so many times and could never get through to them.All we had heard it how great this product was,but it was all a lie!

I Bought a Fantom Thunder Vacume about 1.5 yrs ago. Every piece imaginable has broken off it. From the HEPA filter to the attachment stands. I am ****** beyond belief that a company can sell such a poor product and get away with it. (In real life people don't vacume over confetti, like the comercials showed.) I would like my vacume fixed or replaced...but the company went under. I think there should be some class action againts Euro Corp (company that bought Fantom).

I purchased a Fantom Cyclone XT Vacuum from Best Buy a little over a year ago. The main reason I purchased it was the warranty. I did not purchase any extended warranty from BestBuy because of the excellent warranty offered by Fantom. Soon after Fantom went out of business and the vacuum stopped working. No repair shop will look at it because of the availibility of parts. With-out the warranty, or service of any kind the vacuum is worthless.

BestBuy has always reverted back to my not purchasing thier extended warranty and they will not assist me in any way. The Fantom company no longer has either a telephone number or web site that would allow me to contact them. Someone should be liable for a broken product under warranty, either the manufacturer or the retailer.

I purchased a Fantom Cyclone home vacuum cleaner from Best Buy in January 2001.The vacuum comes with a manufacturers two year warranty.My vacuum is in need of repair and I have not been able to contact the Fantom company for several weeks. I was told by a representative at the customer service department in Best Buy that Fantom went out of business. I was also told that another company would honor Fantoms warranty and I should contact your office for information. I would appriciate your help in this matter.

The cost of the vacuum was $248.93 and without repair it is useless and has to be thrown out. I think for the amount of money I paid for the vacuum it should last longer than 14 months.

I purchased a Fantom Wildcat from WalMart. After 4 months it broke and I descovered the warranty problem Fantom was having. Fantom is honoring warranty claims if purchased directly from them. They are not out of business. The reply to my email stated that the company is being purchased by another company. Going bankrupt would stop all warrantys. If the company is bankrupt then why is it selling products and covering the warranty on certain items?

I purchased a Fantom Cyclone vacuum cleaner. Since it was under warranty and needed repair, I called Fantom approximately 3 weeks ago and they gave me the address of an authorized dealer that handles their products under warranty and also provided me with a customer number. When I went to pick up my vacuum, I was told that Fantom was not paying their bills and that I would have to pay for the repairs.

I have tried calling their 800 number over the last two weeks and they state that they can be reached online, but that their office is closed until further notice. I have emailed them twice and they do not respond. I just spoke to the dealer this morning and they also have tried them by phone and online and cannot reach them. I do not want to have to pay $70 for a product that is under warranty and the dealer will not release it until they receive payment.

Fantom Technologies Company Profile