Eon

Compare Lawn & Garden

Research top Lawn & Garden recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We installed a very large Eon deck (dark cherry color) around 8 years ago. My children were 3 and 9 at the time. It was a hot summer day so I slathered the kids with sunscreen and bug spray, took the kiddie pool out and let the kids play on the deck. Eventually bubbles came out and the kids had a blast. The next day I notice a large area that looked like bleach had been spilled on it the deck. Long story short, I looked at the manufacturer's booklet and it said “harsh chemicals should not be used on it." OK, no jet fuel or acid being flung about in my yard, we're safe.

Then I keep reading. Evidently tanning lotion, bug spray and kids bubbles also fall under this umbrella. Really? I don't mean to sound harsh, but really? It's a deck for God's sake. Called Eon, and was told to paint my 6 month old deck. That I just spent 3x more on because it's "maintenance free". Big fight, lawyers involved & finally get decking replaced. Though absolutely beautiful at first it quickly turned flat looking, and started peeling. Our yard has a lot of mature Oak trees, so a lot of stuff falls on it. Though I'm a certified clean freak, the deck looks horrible and sweeping, pressure washing or proper deck cleaning doesn't do anything. I'm so disappointed and mad. Each spring it literally takes about 15 HOURS to pressure wash the deck-it's black from grime. I would not recommend this product to my worst enemy.

We had EON decking installed 6 yrs ago. The only problem I have is that is showing wear signs and peeling. I have written the company but to no avail.

Early 2006, I got a front deck installed on my log cabin. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO LAST FOREVER. When the temp. in the area would get cold, my deck would get a layer of frost on it and there wasn't frost anywhere else. My wife has fallen down the front steps three times and hurt her back. I had to put anti slip stickers on it (ugly) and then a carpet runner down the middle. It has faded and warped. It keeps coming apart and I have to constantly fix it. I tried to contact the company and their receivership because they are out of business and none of my calls or emails go through. I am very unsatisfied and wish I would have never even heard of EON! Now, I am trying to find some parts to fix the deck boards right in front of my front door where I almost fell through.

I have purchased Eon Era in February 2012, from Sonebhadra Automobiles Pvt. Ltd. There are no holes in front, for number plate fixing. Please advise what I have to do.

Installed Eon deck 9/04. Very nice for a couple of years, then started to fade, warp, break, scratch, and is very unsightly. Contacted Eon 12/08. After some correspondence, sending in receipts, photos, and several phone conversations, they said that the decking was normal wear and tear. They denied any warranty coverage. I have to look at this every day. There is no word that can explain how unhappy I am with this product. Instead of enhancing the appearance/value of my home, it is a distraction. I am ashamed to take visitors outside.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eon?

We put Eon decking on our back deck about three years ago. After the first year, the lower portion of the deck (20x39) looked purple not cedar. We contacted Eon and after a few months they said it was in tolerance. Now, how do you know if it is in tolerance or not if you never show up? Also if the deck gets wet, we can't use it. You'll slip and break your leg. I feel it is extremely dangerous when it is wet.

During the Summer of 2004, we purchased CPI Plastics EON. This is a virgin vinyl decking product. We had a beautiful deck built with this material because, at our age, we did not want to worry about maintenance. This material warped, blistered, cracked, and had chunks popped off. I did not mind the staining or color fading.

The damage started to show up less than a year later and it continues to get worse. We tried to get legal assistance because we do not want to replace this product with more of the same as it would only happen again. We wanted financial reimbursement for the cost of the material and construction to redo the deck. We did see an attorney but the case would have to be filed in a federal court as it is a foreign manufacturer.

We would have had to put $10000 down to start proceedings and there was no guarantee we would win so we chose not to proceed. The problem with the EON is, that it was not tested for high altitude and the sun damage is great. We have to strip the deck down to the foundation and rebuild. It is still useable, but every time I look at it, I want to cry.

Eon Company Profile