1.12/5
Based on 163 reviews that contain star ratings

Need a utility company?

165 Energy Plus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 7, 2015

I originally signed up via an airline frequent flier miles promotion. The promise was miles plus low electric rates, better than my major Boston utility provided. When I happened to look after the introductory period, the rates two years ago were TRIPLE the local utility standard rates. When I called to investigate, they gave me a more competitive rate for six months, still not a hot deal. I made a note to check rates when it was time to renew or change. I called them, they stated that it takes 1-2 months for new supply rates to be billed by my utility and that therefore I could not change for another couple of months or pay a fine/fee to them for leaving.

When I asked for a better, longer-term rate, they hemmed and hawed, said they would need to pull the recorded conversation I had had 4-5 months before with them, and so forth. They passed me to a supervisor who stonewalled even better. So I found a much better rate for MA, switched, knowing that it would take 1-2 months and I would have no penalty. Beware of them. They were fined heavily in CT, and even with new owners from a few years back, they are still anti-consumer and hiding behind legalisms.

Original review: July 5, 2015

I also signed up for the United miles and the fine print said that their rates would be competitive. My last bill read $0.14 per KwH. ComEd is currently listing $0.07 and I'm receiving offers for $0.059. 2X-3X is not competitive. I'm not even sure how they can get away with this misleading messaging. Trying to cancel now. I'd suggest everyone heed all these warnings and stay away. It's not worth an extra $95/month in my case.

Original review: July 3, 2015

STAY AWAY. This company is a total scam and my advice would be run far away from this company as possible They give a low rate to start for a promotion period then the rate will go up to almost double the electric company's rate. Consumers should be aware that it takes a couple of months to switch providers. You end up paying way more. It is not worth it.

The worst of it is that this company does business with a fraudulent company in Mexico Monterrey, called Granada Corporation. Energy Plus is sharing your private information with this company that is known by losing their clients for fraud activity. Recently Granada Corporation lost a client they were doing business because of a fraud that was made on their behalf with customer's private information. This company Granada Corporation is very corrupted. Think about it before you make your decision. Hope this information is useful for your protection.

Original review: April 15, 2015

I wish I had consulted this website before signing up with them. They give a low rate to start for a promotion period then the rate will go up to almost double the electric company's rate. Consumers should be aware that it takes a couple of months to switch providers. You end up paying way more. It is not worth it! STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 14, 2015

Switched from Con Ed to EP after a friend recommended it for competitive rates and Upromise contributions. Friend normally financially savvy - not this time. What a huge disaster. Too embarrassed to divulge how long it took me to look at their rates on my skyrocketing bills. Suffice to say when I did I was horrified. After a few yelling matches with representatives, was refunded about $200. Checked and the Upromise contributions weren't made consistently. Remarkably, I spoke with an incredibly nice and professional woman who refunded my own estimate of how much had not been contributed to Upromise. She was the only good thing about entire experience with EP. Complete waste of time and money. Missed date for a class action suit - will look for others. Completely unethical company. Should be investigated and shut down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Energy Plus?

Original review: April 14, 2015

I became a total energy plus customer without ever signing up. My previous supplier sold my contract to them without ever contacting me. Over the last few months I've noticed our bill getting higher and higher. Called JCP&L and found out that they are a third party supplier with no regulation. Meaning they can charge whatever they want. This company is a total scam and my advice would be run for the hills and faraway from this company as possible. How do these people sleep at night???

Original review: April 11, 2015

I received my electric from Energy Plus for several years and was on a budget plan. After several years their cost of electricity went up from (a rounded) 9 per kwh to over 14, (again rounded) per kwh. I had been on a budget billing from the start so when the rates increased I would have expected the budget billing to increase relative to this cost. Imagine my surprise when at the end of the year I received an electric bill that had increased significantly. My bill which was usually $300.00 was now over $700.00 because of the price increase.

When I called I was told the increase was because I was using more electricity. Fortunately I keep my bills and was able to disprove this. Eventually I was offered a $75.00 refund. Really??! I paid the bill and cancelled the service. The next month my bill had a $400 charge from Energy Plus for something that I still have not received an explanation for. I have been on hold for up to 15 minutes waiting for someone to answer the phone.

Original review: April 2, 2015

Energy Plus is very disappointing. Yes, once you switched to somewhere this is your responsibility, fault or great finding. However, I have terrible experience with cancelling Energy Plus services. In spite of multiple calls I kept receiving their larger bills for a few months. When calling back to them I received the same nice updates on my account with no sign of previous calls and cancellations. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Original review: April 1, 2015

This month's supply cost was $0.16 Kwh. My BGE bill has tripled!!! When I call this company they say everything is in the small print I signed. I cancel today and got confirmation codes. STAY AWAY FROM THIS OR ANY ALTERNATE SUPPLIER.

Original review: March 17, 2015

ENERGY PLUS is charging more than three times gas rate over ConEd! Even though I am in variable rate account and gas market price keeps dropping nearly 50% in recent months, my gas rate was locked to $1.29/therm! Switch off with the supplier right away. Should class action to sue the SCAM!

Original review: March 6, 2015

My complaint isn't about the services of Energy Plus. My complaint is that several years ago I had scheduled an interview with them for a sales position. I had to drive 45 minutes to downtown Baltimore and when I got there, the person who had scheduled the interview told me that the sales manager had decided not to come to the office that day. A total waste of over two hours of my time (plus gas and parking). She offered to reschedule but I said "no." I am SO glad this didn't work out but at the time I was very upset. Any company that treats people like that is not one you would want to do business with. Stay far away from this mess.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I want to cancel. Their bill is higher than Delmarva power. This month their billing is $187.30 and Delmarva's is 56.69 and every month they're higher than Delmarva. I can't afford it so I want to cancel.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I was charged .1475 per kWh by this company. I never switched suppliers, somehow ended up with this company. The rate from National Grid is .08 per kWh. My bill would have been $200.00 less last month with National Grid. Energy Plus Company response, I get an 8% rebate. So I would pay .1357 per kWh. I saved 41% by leaving this company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

Signed up for an airline points deal. I thought my bills were really high for the 1st 6 months but never checked into it. I got my February bill and it was $218.00. I called PSEG and they told me it would have $111.00 for the same month. Energy plus gave me $100 credit which only equals out one month. I am fuming at Energy Plus and myself for not checking. Apparently it was only a three month promotion rate. Theirs company is a scam. Stay clear of them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2015

I signed on with New Energy Plus because of the promise of lower rates and 'point.' My rates have been consistently higher than Delmarva Electric by up to 40%! No this is not a misspelling. It was one of the biggest mistakes I made regarding to utility companies. I gave them my notice today: I am coming home Delmarva Electric. I will hook up with their Energy Plus program as soon as I am back. I saved a mint with Pepco (and I am not a fan of theirs). You won't find me switching any time soon.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2015

Energy Plus is a complete scam!!!! They sign you up at the airport (our mistake) stating there is no change in your bill, just enjoy airline miles then BAM! Average bill prior was $150, then 3-months later I'm getting a $300 bill, then $550, then $680 in a single month. And it's just my wife and I in the house. Next door neighbors with (4) kids, bill same month is $140, and I'm at $680!!! These scam artists are 4x the price!!!! Someone needs to sue these fools and make them go away!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

The best way to summarize the experience is with factual numbers. Rate for November bill was .079, December bill rate was .102, and January bill rate is .132. My current electric bill is $700.00, which is $150 more than last month's bill. Thanks to the generous rate increase.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2014

Energy Plus is scamming people - They charging almost double. My last 3 months bill is almost double for both electricity and GAS. Using per therm & KWH rate provided by both providers.

DEC - PSEG - $114 EnergyPlus - $213
    Nov - PSEG - $50 EnergyPlus - $82

Oct - PSEG - $17 EnergyPlus - $25

Electric:
    Dec JCPL - $73 EnergyPlus - $120
    Nov - JCPL- $95 EnergyPlus - $157

OCT - JCPL- $86 EnergyPlus - $142

Original review: Dec. 20, 2014

Energy Plus did the same thing. You think you have a competitive rate. You sign up to get miles via US AIR and then after the three months - they screw you with double the rate. US AIR and Energy Plus are a SCAM.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

Got the 3 months at the rate advertised 0.094 but they then double the rate up to 0.20.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2014

After several times of receiving a high energy bill I noticed that there was a charge on my PECO bill for Energy Plus and the amounts changed every month. Higher and higher. One month my PECO bill was for $740 and $170 was for PECO and the remaining $578 was Energy Plus - that’s ridiculous!! I never even signed up for this as the energy bill at the time was in my father’s name whom is deceased. They said we signed up in May 2013 yet my father passed away in Nov 2011 so how could I sign up for it in his name if he's deceased?? Also, when I called to inquire about this and cancel it they did cancel it. However, they have no record of us enrolling or have any written or recorded info and told me to call another company whom they are affiliated with. Then I call that number, get put on hold then disconnected. I WANT ALL MY MONEY BACK FOR THE 14 MONTHS I GOT CHARGED FOR SOMETHING I NEVER ENROLLED IN!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2014

I have the same complaint as all the other complaints. Charges in excess of 300% of kilowatt usage costs. I originally signed with another company, Energy Plus took them over without my knowledge and for the last 8 months my rate for delivery/commodity has been 3-4 times my energy usage costs. Shame on this company. I feel for the elderly who don't understand what has happened and may not be able to pay their bills. When I called, they offered a one-time $68.00 refund after accepting roughly $500 in unearned revenue. Close them down. Class Action is needed.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

I signed up for the Energy Plus Program with the TOTAL understanding that they were competitive with my current rates. It was explained that I could earn US Air points while enjoying competitive rates. What this company has done needs to be investigated because it's criminal! They doubled my rates. I have a business located .05 miles from my house. One I use separate electric company and the rates at Energy Plus are now double.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2014

The same thing happened to me. The bill was pretty much the same and then all of a sudden the last couple of months, my bill has been more than I ever paid since I purchased my house 31 years ago. I think maybe my other supplier's rates went up. Then I hear on the news that their rates are going up in November so for 4 months, I have been paying double to triple what I should have been paying.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

My normal household electric bills were $250 with a 3 year high-side of just over $300, when I switched to Energy Plus they immediately sky rocketed to $720 and $568 respectively. When you call the number they provide you for "current customers" it disconnects you after it answers. You have to call the "new customer" line to ever have a chance to speak with anyone. I wish I could give this ZERO STARS but it won't let me. Next resort is speaking with the Attorney general of Phily to see if they can get active with this. The variable rate are padded more than double from normal carrier rates, meaning your home electric bill will double, as mine did. Stay clear of this scam company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

Just got off the phone with ConEd in NYC - their electricity charge is roughly 10 cents per kWh. Energy Plus? TWENTY TWO CENTS PER kWh!!! Energy Plus costs MORE THAN DOUBLE what ConEd costs. This is absolutely ridiculous! These guys ARE a bunch of crooks! Calling TODAY to cancel!!! I'm on a fixed rate with Energy Plus and have been with them for 4 years. No more!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2014

This company called me a couple years ago, gave me a good rate and BAM, it doubled after 6 months and I had forgot about it so I just kept paying the bills thinking ComEd had increased their rates as usual. I am now on social security so I have to be very mindful of what my payouts are a month and this company, Energy Plus has to go!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

These guys were charging me $0.14 per kWh where my local company was charging $0.07. These guys are crooks! They advertise low rates but they actually ended up charging me a lot more. My bill could have been about $170 and with them I had to pay a $281 bill. Ridiculous! Don't use these guys. Stay with your local company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

Thought I was supposed to be saving money. Not the case. These guys are twice the rate my local power company charges (Pepco). When calling these creeps, they try to sell their "rewards" as the reason to stay with them. I just got the first $500 monthly electric bill that I have ever had. I paid over $150 for these "rewards" that the Energy Plus offers. Crooks!!!!!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

Had been paying $50 more per month for generation charges! CL-P rate is 0.099/KWH and Energy Plus had been charging me 0.164/KWH. Scammers. Beware and cancel immediately.

Energy Plus Company Information