1.12/5
Based on 160 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Energy Plus

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 9, 2017

162 Energy Plus Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

The company put a booth side by side with United Mileage Plus booth at Chicago air port. I thought they were some sub-company from United. They promised they will beat the Local supply Pepco's price. Yes it was pretty low but a couple years later the price now is twice of the Pepco's price and without notifying its clients. They are kind of cheater and thief.

Original review: May 5, 2017

5 years ago we moved to Maryland. My wife responded to an offer of "clean energy at market rates." I guess it was with Energy Plus. Our electrical bills seems high but I figured that it was normal for Maryland. Five years later we got a rebate for $50 from Energy Plus. I wondered who was this. I called Pepco (our area's utility provider) and they explained that we had been with Energy Plus since 2012. I read the fine print of our bill. Pepco charges 8 cents a unit and Energy Plus charges 16 cents. TWICE AS MUCH! I went to the Energy Plus website and there was no mention of clean energy... just rebates and airline miles.

Just so anyone doesn't make this same mistake: Our last bill from Energy Plus was for $112 but our annual "rebate" for $50. They are overcharging me $60 each month to send me that once a year rebate. Read your bill carefully!!! Expensive lesson!!! Note: there are a lot of very good clean energy companies out there. Do your research and support a winner.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

We are talking months of being overcharged!!! They started me at under 7 cents and when I went to do my taxes, I noticed we are paying 15.5 cents!!! How is this legal. The current rates for other companies are 8 cents, even for 3 year contracts. They gave me no warning, no email or text. If there is a class action suit out there...please let me know! Last year they increased my rate and I called and they lowered. I remember asking to be informed when it goes up. It is not right to take advantage of customers in such a way. Talking to them next week. Will update with what happens.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I started service with them in the fall of 2015. When I discovered that the electrical rates had escalated (tripled!), I called to cancel my service. When I didn't bite on any of the "specials" offered, they agreed to cancel and gave me a cancellation number. So I'm cancelled - right? Actually only the electric portion of the bill was canceled! The gas remained with them which I didn't find out until my winter 2016-2017 bill started to escalate. I had installed a NEW heating system so the bill should have gone down. When I checked my bill - I found that Energy Plus was still providing gas even though I had ASSUMED that all was canceled! Moral of the story: Don't go with this company! If you do use the company and notice your bills escalating - make sure that you get TWO DIFFERENT CANCELLATION NUMBERS for gas and electricity. And then check your bill monthly to make sure they actually do it!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

We recently moved into a new home at the end of July of this year. Our electric bills were a little less than I expected for the first few months, but we are diligent about unplugging appliances and turning down the heat (or totally off) in rooms we are not using. Recently, I just received a 623.00 bill for my rates. What the heck?!?! They said this was our actual reading and that they underestimated our estimate last month, so we were paying for the difference there as well. I am appalled at this. We are energy conscious people and I doubt we even used half of that, in our all electric home. I look forward to complaining bright and early tomorrow. I really, really, hope that these people do not try to lure in the elderly or those on a fixed income. I think people or businesses who thrive on that are the lowest of the low and there is a special place in hell for them. Do not ever go with this company, unless you want to just throw money out the window.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Energy Plus?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

My situation is the same as many of the other reviewers. Started with them at .06 kWh. They increased the rate to .144 kWh in May, right before the summer, when our electric bill is higher anyway. I just thought we were using more electricity. Only to find out they have been almost triple billing us. They too, now offered a lower rate of .06 but why didn't they advise us of the increase back in May so we could opt for the lower rate then. They are dishonest and I will no longer ever go with another company other than Comed.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I also signed up with Energy Plus at an airport Kiosk--lower rates and MileagePlus points. My bills are paid automatically by my bank, and it wasn't until I noticed 3 straight months of $300+ bills (for a 2000 SF home in Chicago) that I called Energy Plus to complain. They offered me a "deal"---6 cents versus my current 14 cents per unit. I was at 14 cents??? When I insisted I wanted to cancel, I was also offered a $100 gift card. Avoid! This is not a deal... It is robbery.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I signed up for Energy Plus Holdings in July 2015 at O'Hare airport because of the promise of lower rates and mileage points. The rate was doubled from 0.07 to 0.144 after few month without any notice. I am using automatic payment and paperless option for my bill so I did not find out the unreasonable rate after several months. The alarm went off because my bill is $250 for Sep 2016. I went back my bill history and found I had paid 11 month of skyrocketing bills. Stay away from the company and DON'T use it for delivery! There should be a class action suing this company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

I wish I would have read the other reviews before being tricked into switching to Energy Plus! They entice you with some kind of offer, mine was Marriott rewards, and then after 3 months your bill is so expensive, you want to return the rewards, and go back to the supplier you had. Don't be fooled by this company! They will rip you off, and when you cancel it takes at least another month, so they rip you off another month with their jacked up rates.

Original review: May 16, 2016

I was lured by the United Airlines points which is worth about $100. In a few month the rate jumped from 9 cents/kwh to 17 cents/kwh. The rate hike cost me at least $400. Total scam. Stay away.

Original review: April 7, 2016

I was swayed by the airline point rewards I could earn when I switched to Energy Plus. In 6 months the rate has gone from 6.9 to 8.9 then 11.5, and this month 14.9. I have switched to another company. Good riddance to Energy Plus!

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

Within one year, price jet from 0.29/therm and 0.10875/kWh gradually to 1.19/therm and 0.148785/kWh. With all reviews here, I wish GD this company.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

This company is a total scam. I was reviewing my energy bill a few minutes ago and noticed that this company has doubled the cost/Kh of my energy from approx. 8 cents per kW/h to more than 16 cents in a 4-month time frame. I find the behavior of this company to be completely unethical and I would highly discourage anyone looking for an energy supplier to do business with them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

They start you out with an attractive rate then it quickly rises. The price they charged me for Dec. 2015 was twice the going rate of most companies. Do not walk, run away from this company as fast as possible.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

I'm glad I kept my eye on these guys. I switched over in the summer to the teaser rate of $0.044 per kwh for 3 months. When that expired, it increased in successive months to 6 cents, then 9 cents and finally 12 cents when all competitive rates remain in the 5-6 cent range. I got my Marriott points and saved money during the highest usage summer months so I came out ahead. But if anyone is going to make this switch, only do it during the summer months where you'll benefit from the teaser rate. Make sure you remember to switch to something else 3 months later. These guys bank on people forgetting to switch back.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I switched over for lower pricing and incentives. The incentives did not come through initially and it took 3 phone calls to them and over 6 months to get the incentives. Then they gradually raised the pricing to what is now double the price per kilowatt hour over what I would pay if left with Com Ed. It is the old bait and switch scam. Seems good at first but you have to watch your bill very carefully each month, which is not something I typically do until I see a trend.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

I wish there was an option of 0 stars! Our bill for electricity and gas started increasing soon after we switched from BGE and it passed $500 per month! This was almost 5 times more than our bill from BGE. Unfortunately, we were unable to switch back right away but as soon as we did the bill went down to $115. Do not switch to Energy Plus!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Worse ripoff company for "saving" energy!! They promise sooo many great benefits about changing energy/gas providers to them but eventually they get you and they get you hard!!! DO NOT, sign up with them. Stay with the common providers like JCP&L and New Jersey natural gas. Their rates are not the best but they stay the same and don't hit you with hundreds of dollar bills. I changed to them because they promise that they have the best lower rates than anyone else, and if they change, it will be only a very insignificant amount.

Well, their "insignificant" little amount went to more than triple my bill. For example, where I could have get a bill from NJ Natural Gas or JCP&L for $100. I would get a bill from them to up to $500. My budget went up from $130 a month to $238 a month. Unfortunately, many consumers do not realized this and they just pay their monthly bill without even noticing the differences. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2015

DON'T sign up. They disguised themselves as savings for US Airlines. I was promised my electric bill would not only be lowered but that I would gain points to use on my flights. Some very nice ppl at the airport convinced me to sign up. I usually don't fall for this type of stuff but ugh I did this time. So here's my story, my electric bill was always low. I'm talking about $30 the most, then this company started charging me more money each month. 1st it was $81.20, then $110.46, then $130.56. I was able to ask my electric company to take me off from this supplier. Now my bill is starting to look normal again and I can get back to having my electric bill low again. Please see my screen shots, here is my proof.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

I signed up for Energy Plus Holdings at O'hare in 2014 to deliver my electricity. I didn't notice much difference at first until I got my September 2015 bill - $193. The alarm went off because we were not home for 10 days. I logged into my ComEd account and saw that my bill 9/15 was $87 higher than my 9/14 bill. I called ComEd. The ComEd customer service rep told me my 9/15 usage was about the same as my 9/14 but my supplier costs were not. I went online and started reading reviews and saw the same thing has been happening to other people. DON'T use this company for delivery!!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2015

My electric rates were doubled from 0.07 to 0.15 without any logical explanation. I will like each one of you to be carefully monitor your bill and call and understand variance when it happens. This will prevent paying unnecessary high electric bills.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

I signed up at the US Airways kiosk and was promised significant savings. Over a 5 month period my bill gradually increased. In the last 3 months my electric cost went up over 70%! Whatever you do, don't sign up for this product. It is criminal. When I called to terminate the relationship they stated that I was contracted for 2 more billing periods. Don't make the same mistake that I made. I have never posted an online complaint and wish I had taken the time to look at the postings below before I decided to trust Energy Plus.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2015

I signed up at US Airways by a gate. The price seemed good but then my wife & I were wondering why our electric bill kept going up each month then I looked at the bill and rate - wow! In no way do I believe that 10,000 miles was worth the cost. I also should have searched for Energy Plus on the web and was shocked to read about all the complaints and lawsuit. Why would US Air allow this promotion?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

I've been with Energy Plus at my current address for a year. While their prices started by being roughly comparable with those of ConEd alone, in recent months, they've skyrocketed. Altogether, over the past 12 months, Energy Plus has cost me $729.24 over what I would have paid using ConEd alone. There are plenty of decent ESCOs out there from which to choose. Energy Plus is not one of them.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2015

Energy Plus Holdings promised lower rates and then charged unconscionably higher rates.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

Walking through PHL airport, I was approached by a guy at a stand offering a program which would allow me to earn AA miles for my PECO bills. Seems reasonable so I signed up. I did not confirm my application via email (part of the program) but still got a welcome letter telling me I have changed energy supplier to Energy Plus!!! Contacted both to let them know I have no intention of changing energy supplier. At no point did the salesman at the airport tell me that was part of the "deal". Very underhand way of getting customers. Caveat emptor!

Original review: July 31, 2015

The airlines used to deal with a different company; I believe it was Direct Energy. At any rate, they did the same thing. Sign you up, and then a couple months later, their rates are 2 or 3 times the competitive rate. There was a class action lawsuit, and I received a small portion of the settlement. Unfortunately, like many, I did not notice the high rates for 6 months.

Original review: July 7, 2015

I originally signed up via an airline frequent flier miles promotion. The promise was miles plus low electric rates, better than my major Boston utility provided. When I happened to look after the introductory period, the rates two years ago were TRIPLE the local utility standard rates. When I called to investigate, they gave me a more competitive rate for six months, still not a hot deal. I made a note to check rates when it was time to renew or change. I called them, they stated that it takes 1-2 months for new supply rates to be billed by my utility and that therefore I could not change for another couple of months or pay a fine/fee to them for leaving.

When I asked for a better, longer-term rate, they hemmed and hawed, said they would need to pull the recorded conversation I had had 4-5 months before with them, and so forth. They passed me to a supervisor who stonewalled even better. So I found a much better rate for MA, switched, knowing that it would take 1-2 months and I would have no penalty. Beware of them. They were fined heavily in CT, and even with new owners from a few years back, they are still anti-consumer and hiding behind legalisms.

Original review: July 5, 2015

I also signed up for the United miles and the fine print said that their rates would be competitive. My last bill read $0.14 per KwH. ComEd is currently listing $0.07 and I'm receiving offers for $0.059. 2X-3X is not competitive. I'm not even sure how they can get away with this misleading messaging. Trying to cancel now. I'd suggest everyone heed all these warnings and stay away. It's not worth an extra $95/month in my case.

Original review: July 3, 2015

STAY AWAY. This company is a total scam and my advice would be run far away from this company as possible They give a low rate to start for a promotion period then the rate will go up to almost double the electric company's rate. Consumers should be aware that it takes a couple of months to switch providers. You end up paying way more. It is not worth it.

The worst of it is that this company does business with a fraudulent company in Mexico Monterrey, called Granada Corporation. Energy Plus is sharing your private information with this company that is known by losing their clients for fraud activity. Recently Granada Corporation lost a client they were doing business because of a fraud that was made on their behalf with customer's private information. This company Granada Corporation is very corrupted. Think about it before you make your decision. Hope this information is useful for your protection.

Energy Plus expert review by Jonathan Trout

Energy Plus believes that customers deserve more from their energy supplier. As an Energy Plus customer, you can choose from multiple plans that fit your individual needs, including a green energy option using wind power. You can also earn rewards like free flights, cash back and retail bonuses for paying your bill.

• Rewards: As an Energy Plus customer, you earn rewards just for paying your bill each month. Rewards include a signup bonus and unlimited monthly rewards like cash back, retail bonuses and free flights.
    • Fixed and variable pricing: You can choose between fixed and variable pricing plans. There are pros and cons to each, and having the ability to choose is a great option and can save you money in the long run.
    • Customer care: Energy Plus has an easy-to-use customer care web page where you can get help signing up and getting your questions answered by entering your phone number, email address or by mail. Simply choose your service state and your best method of contact.
    • FAQs: Energy Plus has an extensive FAQ page on their website that answers common questions you may have about billing, rewards, emergencies and deregulation. It also includes a section about what to do in case of an emergency and how to go green with your energy consumption.
    • Service areas: Energy Plus currently serves Connecticut, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
    • Best for: customers wanting choices with their electric plans and rewards for paying their bill.
    Profile picture of Jonathan Trout