Energy North Propane

Concord, NH

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

For 20 years as a pre-buy customer that involved a Heating Season contract encompassing the time period Oct to Apr, we had been fairly satisfied with the service. Energy North would typically make one last delivery in April each year, and mysteriously the pre-buy balance was exceeded and we were billed at the current rate for the top off. This consistent activity was a little annoying but was tolerated. This year, due to the mild 2015-2016 winter we had a balance of over $200. Energy North sent a truck in late July, without our consent or knowledge, to top off the tank at a price of $4.43 per gallon!!!

Lucky for me I was in the yard at the time and stopped the operator at 70 gallons. I called the office about the obnoxious price and the unannounced delivery outside of the contract period and demanded they charge us at $1.49 per gallon, the current rate in this area. Since then we have changed to a new supplier and we are still waiting for reimbursement of the last year balance and for the approx 300 gallons still in their tank that was removed.

I got charged a fee! I got a bill for $11.99 although my service was not even turned on & I never ordered fuel, the pilot light was not on, I had a zero balance, so there is no excuse for billing me! Scam!

Loyal customer for many years. Switched over to new service due to continued challenges with signing up for annual fixed rate plan. They would never receive the faxes, every year problems with automatic payments from bank account. New website had no clear instructions on how to move over to online payments, customer service could not explain and after paying monthly for the year online, they charged me full price and would not negotiate a payment plan. Then they refused to let new service buy the tank. Very frustrating to deal with their customer service. Can't be bothered to deal with frustration year after year.

Customer Service non-existent! On hold for over an hour - still have not received lock in rates for Fall 2016. They really don't care. Go to another propane company - would not recommend them at all!! Oh, and the icing on the cake, they updated my propane tank, came home to a notice on my door that I did not have propane and to call to set up appointment... And they charged me $145 for the tank upgrade and once again can't even get thru to Customer Service!!!

Energy North Propane has always been infuriating with every interaction. I've had their service at my condo for a decade. Every month, they'd send me a bill. Then a few weeks later, I got a statement. Every other utility company I've dealt with just sends you a monthly bill. It just added more expense on their part and confusion on mine. They were flabbergasted when I called to complain. How dare I question the way they handled their accounts!

Then two years in a row, they randomly stopped billing me. Our condo has a buried tank shared between multiple units with a meter at the unit. At first I thought maybe they just didn't read the meter for a few months during the off season, but then I called to complain I wasn't getting billed. They started giving me a bill again, and then another year or so later, it happened again. I called to complain, but they didn't restart billing. Then randomly a while later a meter reader came by while I happened to be outside. He pointed out that my meter had stopped working and was stuck at the same reading as last month.

Most recently, I moved for work but still own the condo. The condo has been empty, with the exception of some renovation work for some time now. According to my bill, I'm using 3 times the amount of propane at my condo, which is empty, compared to my new apartment with 3 occupants. The condo has no heat turned on (it's summer), and the water heater uses an electronic ignition. Meanwhile, my new apartment has a gas fireplace with a pilot light and gas fired water heater. I know it's not apples to apples (propane vs. natural gas), but if you compare them side by side in the terms of Therms, Energy North claims that I'm using triple the amount of energy for an empty condo as I do a lived in apartment!

When I called to complain as something must be very wrong, the customer service rep tried to argue with me that an empty house uses more energy because the heat escapes. What a load of crap! It's summer time, I'm not heating the house! Then she says she can't find any of my previous usage because they just switched to a new billing system and I'm one of the customers whose information hasn't been moved over yet. I wouldn't take no for an answer, so she transferred me to someone else, with no hand off to the other person at all. That person agreed that the billing amount was high considering the circumstances and agreed to send someone to actually look at the meter again. I'll be so glad once I've sold this condo and no longer have to deal with Energy North!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Energy North Propane?

We have had nothing but bad to worse experiences with Energy North. From the day we moved in and they delivered a huge propane tank (1000 gallon) for 2 people in our energy efficient home - because they didn't have another one - then wanted to charge us a rental fee for this over-sized tank because we didn't use enough gas to annually fill the tank; to constantly being on hold on the phone (finally got the call answered 55 minutes after I started trying to get through today...) 12 minutes before I got past a busy signal and then on hold, with a "fake ring" that tried to put me off so I'd hang up. And this is not the first time. The company is horrible... with an above ground tank, at least now, I can look around for another company.

I'm really disappointed - there aren't more good ratings for this company. We moved to NH a year and a half ago from FL (where no heat is really needed except in January), and were educating ourselves on propane heating. The tank that was with our home was Energy North and at closing, we paid for the remaining amount of fuel in it.

At time of fill, I contacted Energy North to check pricing and then got quotes from 2 other companies. I went with Energy North, and was also informed of a discount for being a Veteran. I didn't have to pay any fees, but paid each time for fill at a locked in rate. We were also on an automatic fill schedule. Throughout the winter, I checked other rates, since I wasn't used to such high heating costs (but 2015 was an extreme winter). I kept constant check on my tank gauge (which was a 70's model), and we both found our tank had a slow leak.

Energy North came to my home immediately! They were here the night of the blizzard and stayed until almost 10pm to make sure it was safe and the leak stopped. They credited my account for the estimated loss of propane and the following July, I received a NEW tank, no issues. Whenever I call, I always receive great customer service, and the manager called me after the leak issue to follow up with me. I was really impressed. This past year, we installed a wood stove and our propane consumption dropped considerably. I contacted Energy North to let them know my % so they wouldn't make an unnecessary trip for refill. Communication is key, and I am pleased with this company.

We have been customers for 14 years and have paid exorbitant amounts of money for propane during these years. Last year I spent over 3,000 for propane. We are very conservative with usage. We keep the thermostat off on our 2nd floor and use electric heaters because of the high cost of propane. Yet we still are paying a ridiculous amount of money to heat our home with propane. We have been watching our tank percentage and my husband swears they are screwing us. He said the tank was at 66% on Friday and they came today to fill it and claim it was at 45%.

With the mild winter we are having it still cost us nearly 2k for propane this year. We only use it for heat and hot water. The signup fee for every year is $125, which is outrageous seeing there is nothing they have to do. My bank account stays the same so they do not even have to change the direct debits to my account. I am reading all of the other reviews and cannot believe how difficult it is to change providers. This is unfair as I want out of Energy North. There has to be a way to buy out the tank. Ours is underground. Any suggestions on how to switch?

We had Energy North install our underground tank when we built our house 17 years ago. We have never had a contract with them. Finally a few years ago we tried shopping around because Energy North is so exorbitantly priced compared to EVERYONE else. We were told by the other companies that we needed paperwork that said we owned the tank. We contacted Energy North several times, no response. Finally went to their office & they told us they had no record of them owning our tank but no, they couldn't put that in writing. All we need is something saying they don't own it!

Went through our lawyer, 89 days into the 90 days Energy North had to respond. They told our lawyer they installed the tank so they own it, again, no paperwork to prove it but apparently legislation is on the side of the business, not the homeowners. Talked to Energy North again, they said our options are to dig up the tank & leave it by the road for them to pick up. Yah, thanks a lot. So we had to sign a 6 month contract just to get a price on our propane that was even REMOTELY close to their competitors. Less than a week later what do we receive in the mail but a notice from them saying that they have extended our contract indefinitely AND at a higher rate. WTF?? At this point it seems like someone should file a class action against them. This is the first time I have ever filled out a negative review about a company, buyers should be aware of their shadiness.

Does anyone know if it is legal to charge a customer to remove a tank owned by Energy North? It's their tank. Also, how are they getting away with charging $4 plus for propane and them buying it back for .35 a gallon than what they sold it to us for? How do we put these people out of business? The only thing this business does right is screw people. I can't believe they're still getting away with it.

We switched propane companies a few months ago. Energy North was supposed to be here today to pick up their tank. They never came. When my husband called, they said they will be here December 30. It's funny how when they owe us a refund (tank is 1/2 full) they take their sweet time. Could have used that money for Christmas!

Energy North has a very long wait time and always says its "experiencing long wait times" because it always is! Because it has MANY unhappy customers. I had been a customer for 10 years and have ended it this year because they continue to charge higher than any other company rates and enrollment fees ($125 to be in budget program) than any other company I inquired about. They are currently holding over $1,500 in my money from propane that was removed from tank that I had already paid for. They said it would be refunded within 10 days but it has been 3 weeks and after 20 minutes on hold I was told that they had never put in for the refund yet and had no excuse why. This is from the company that threatened to put a lock on my propane tank.

Their service sucks!!! 2 weeks ago requested that they get their tank. Switched companies, sick of paying $4.99 to 5.28 (Seriously) for propane! Called a week ago, tank still here. Called today, tank killing my grass. Told they couldn't get it until October! And have the balls to say I have to pay a $39.00 pick up fee! Putting it in the road!

I heat my home, water, cook with, and have a gas fireplace with Propane. I use about 1200 gallons a year. After the initial signup years' pricing of 2.25 a gallon my rate jumped to over $4 a gallon forcing me to call and complain with each billing cycle to get a 30-50 cent reduction. They are almost always twice the state average.

Like Joseph in Merrimack, I switched propane companies. Energy North charges $119 just to sign up for a budget plan. When I called Energy North to come pick up their tanks the customer service rep told me it would be at least 30 days, $39.95 and they would deduct $.35/gallon for the unused propane! The tanks are sitting on my grass which will be dead if they do not pick up asap. The only response I received from the rep was, "you should have called us first and we would have told you it would take 30 days to pick up the tanks" and "I'll talk to the manager." If the tanks are not gone asap, I will be speaking with the manager. I will never recommend Energy North to anyone due to excessive fees and poor customer service.

I purchased a home and there was a big white fuel tank on the property. I am new to self stored fuel as I have always had natural gas. I called 2-3 companies and was told how the process works with fuel deliveries. I call Energy North, the owner of the tank on the property and they basically "assume" that I will get a fill. I politely tell the woman I am shopping around as I am new to this type of fuel delivery system. She gets pretty terse at this point and almost confrontational. Her tone is "how dare you not just take what you have and be thankful."

The main reason I decided not to go with them is because they couldn't tell me the price of fuel. They bulk buy in July and then set a fixed price for the year. Last year's price was something like $3.29 per gallon. At other providers I was quoted $2.29/gal and offered a promotional rate of $1.99 for the first fill. So I decide to switch providers. I call Energy North to say "please come take your tank." They want to charge me $39 for the pickup. I say "no thank you, I didn't order the tank. It is your property. Come take it away." They then offer to buy the unused fuel back from me. FYI by law they have to credit it back. So we come to terms that after I pay the fees I will get a check for around $29.

I say let's just call it a wash. You don't have to pay me just come get the tank and we'll call it even. A week goes by, tank is still here so I call. The first woman says they can't tell when it will be picked up. When I press her she says sorry won't do it or something to that effect. So I ask for a manager. He tells me it will be 6 weeks before they can come get the tank. SIX WEEKS! This extra fuel tank has to sit on my property. Not only is it an attractive nuisance it is dangerous, I have kids. Clearly Energy North has not ever looked at their online reviews nor do they seem to care about their potential or current customers. This is not a company to use for your fuel needs in NH.

I'm trying to figure out if they filled my tank on Monday and Thursday. I look at the tank and it's on 60%... how could it go from 80% to 60% in 3 days??? My heats on 64/65.. also why is my neighbor paying almost $2.00 less a gallon.. costs me 475 to fill it and that only lasts a month.. Something doesn't make sense and I'm gonna look into this one..

I have nothing but good things to say about Energy North. The people are professional, kind and friendly. I called on a Saturday to order propane in a panic, and Ross advised that a delivery had just been made. Great people.

I started out in 2001 with NE. I was on auto refill and generally things were OK until last year. They called in the Fall asking if I had enough propane to skip that refill. I thought nothing of it and said OK. Then they just forgot me next time so I ran out of propane in late January. I called and they were totally unconcerned. I do heat and cook with propane so I'm hurting. When I finally got propane it was at the very peak price and I paid $449.00 for 100 gals of propane. For their booboo they knocked $20 off, big wooo. Don't trust them. Everyone has to be better than that!

I came from being a happy homeowner with natural gas to moving and having to use Energy North Propane. What a difference... This company advertises payment plans and when I called to enroll they said they don't offer them anymore. I asked why it listed it on the website and they said they just don't offer it and she wasn't sure why they were advertising it. They charge me ridiculous fees every time we need our tank filled due to "inspections" and "trip costs". I HATE ENERGY NORTH PROPANE.

After my previous negative experience and review, I called the company to request the email address of the manager so I could send an email reflecting the sentiment and timeline of my posted review. After asking questions of the customer service representative about transferring my service to another supplier, I was put through to the manager. He acknowledged the problems and took responsibility for the company, finally resolving the poor service and value problem to our satisfaction. We will stay with Energy North for now and give them a chance to improve.

We are automatically pay our monthly bill on a budget plan. That is not the issue. Poor service and overcharging us is the problem. Early November 2012, we asked service to evaluate a 7-year old propane fireplace insert not working, for a fee. We wanted it to work for Thanksgiving entertaining. They said they would need to order a new part which could take a couple of weeks. Approximately 2 months later, a part arrived for installation. But during installation, it was found the wrong part had been ordered by them. I called to express discontent with customer service and they said resolution would be a priority. After not hearing from them for another 2 months, I called to see what happened. Customer Service said they must have lost the order, but she would look into it. I again asked her to make a supervisor aware of how much time had passed and we were not happy the entire winter season of heat and enjoyment of the fireplace was passing by with no end in sight.

A few weeks later (end of March) a part was installed. The service invoice comments said, "Fan seems to stay on? Maybe because of temp. Need to let cool off to check --- circuit board on new value/not sure. JB to call - investigate - will call customer." We never heard from Energy North again on what sounded like an open issue and potential hazard. We were charged $505 for a gas valve. I have spoken to Energy North customer service 2 times since March asking for someone to consider our dissatisfaction and to consider an adjustment to the bill. 2 more times I left direct voice messages with the supervisors name given to me. Still no returned phone call. During this time we did receive a Shut Off notice. On my request for the name of the owner, Energy North did give me the name of the most senior Concord, NH manager. I left a message for him to return my call. We'll see what happens next...

I have been equally bullied and extorted by this company. Customer service is abhorrent and they seem to be particularly discriminatory and rude to tenants. You can complain to the one supervisor running the whole show but he is equally rude and condescending. They bill tenants for things that should be the property owners’ responsibility like meter service, appliance and leak checks. I have constantly been receiving bullying letters of termination even when my service has been less than 30 days overdue. Today, they shut off my services for a $44 past due amount and refuse to turn service back on unless I pay them nearly $900 in fees and a "deposit".

My yearly usage is less than $1,200, so how they came up with that figure is a mystery. They did not follow their own policy in regards to knocking on my door to attempt to secure payment before shutting me off, for I would have gladly paid that. But if I had, they would not have been entitled to nearly 10x that much money. So they just quietly shut off the gas without letting me know they were there. When I told the rep that no one gave me a chance to pay, she pretty much called me a liar.

This company does not allow you to pay your bills online and sometimes the wait on the phone is excruciating. They charged me a $36 late fee on this $44 bill which must certainly be against the law. They told me there was no regulatory board watching them (clearly) and also threatened me that I could not change providers without their approval. They have 15 complaints in BBB, now 16 with mine but seem unshaken. I will spend the entire winter with a hot plate and a space heater before I will submit to these unfair business practices.

When we moved into this apartment, there was 0 propane left in the tank. We called Energy North for propane. They stated the tank was in bad shape and needed to be replaced. I asked, "Who pays for the tank?" Their response was they do, as long as you're using their gas. They charged me the highest rate to fill the tank, stating it was due to the past history of the address. It was a low usage. So for the past 3 years, we tried to conserve on heat to keep the bill low. We had a credit of $60+ on the account in May.

Then we got a bill for $96 for some new storage fee they came up with. I could waive the $96 if I fill the tank. I'm not working at the time, there's 8 or 9% left in the tank and it was May/June, when we have no use for heat. Then we started getting bills on a weekly basis stating either we fill the tank or they're coming to take the tank, plus an $18 re-billing fee each time. When the guy came to take the tank, he said if I pay him $67 or some random amount, I could keep the tank. So now the tank is gone, the $60+ credit we had and the 8-9% left in the tank is gone. How this type of extortion/price gouging is allowed or legal is beyond me.

I have been a customer since June 2002 on their budget plan. I always paid in more monthly and have a sizable balance each year. In December 2010, I skipped a payment, being 3 payments ahead from the carryover of last year's ending balance. Then Energy North cancelled my budget plan, filled the tank, and demanded my "prompt attention to this serious matter". That is, $600.00 to be paid in 10 days or shut off and tank locked. It is illegal during winter months.

In 2012, the tank was filled end of February ($300.00). It's the first time since 1/2011, and I paid half. Then in the end of March, I sent the balance and got another "bullying" demand letter, which was sent out the same day as the check was processed through my bank. I contacted them, and I'm waiting to hear an apology or oops, sorry.

I’m very unhappy with this company. The propane services my hot water heater only, which my family of only two uses conservatively. When I identified questionable charges on my invoice, I called and requested they show the meter reading on my statement which they continue not to do. I monitor my meter and my usage varies between 6 and 8 units per month; however, they bill me for 14.2 units every month regardless when I am not on any estimate program. I placed duct tape over the meter counter and thereby discovered upon my new billing for 14.2 units, and yet the duct tape has been undisturbed proving to me that they are not in fact reading the meter.

I also complained to them about the late charge of $4.00 which is applied when they do not receive payment within 10 (ten) days of the meter reading, plus an additional $8.00 for rebilling even though I do not receive a second invoice. It wasn't until I mailed my check by certified mail with the complaint in writing that they did not include the late charge and yet I paid within the same time frame. When I called I am left on hold or the office manager is conveniently in a meeting. I am compiling evidence that I plan to forward to the Attorney General's office, Public Utilities Commission as well as local media sources.

I have 100 pounds propane tank for Garage Heat. In the middle of the summer, someone contacted my wife stating that I would be charged a low-usage fee of $150. This is regardless of propane needs, unless I filled up. She had them fill up, and we got a bill for $336. I was furious when I heard of this, and I said it was extortion. Forcing people to fill up because business is slow in the summer. I told them to shut off the gas, and come get the tank. They haven't. Now it's gone to collection.

About 2 years ago, we contacted the Propane company, by letter and by phone call, letting them know that we were changing our status. We had purchased alternative heating systems; first a wood stove and later with a pellet stove. Last year, 2010, we had a delivery of propane and more recently, a delivery on Feb. 1, 2011. They delivered 300 gallons to top off the tank. We have a 900-gallon tank and we did not need the delivery nor did we ask for it. To our surprise, we then had a bill for over $1000. On Feb. 28th, they sent a bill.

On March 7, we received an urgent letter and a few days later, a shut off letter. There is no regulatory commission for propane companies, so they have the right to bully consumers in this way. We were so humiliated to have to beg them not to shut our tank off even though over 650 gallons in the tank is ours and fully paid for last year. We have had to take them a check for $250.00 and promise to pay the balance by the end of April. This presents a hardship for us. I don't know of any other company that would get away with sending you something you didn't order, charging top dollar for the product and then extorting money from you saying you have 10 days to pay up or else.

Energy North Propane Company Profile