2. Homeowners
  3. Flooring

3.7/5 (641 ratings)

About Empire Today

Empire Today has provided carpet, hardwood, laminate, vinyl tile flooring, and window treatments to more than 2 million customers since 1959. The company brings hundreds of samples to your doorstep, and a sales representative helps you choose a floor, takes room measurements, and provides an all-inclusive price estimate. Professional installers can install in-stock styles as soon as the next day. The company offers competitive prices and comprehensive warranties.

Pros

• Professional measurements
  • 1-year limited installation warranty
  • Brings product samples to your home

Cons

• Limited financing options
  • Consultation required for estimate

Bottom Line

Empire Today brings the shopping experience to you with its in-home consultations and professional flooring specialists. Price quotes are only available after an appointment, but there is no obligation to buy.

Top Empire Today Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had hardwood installed in my living room and hallway. The sales rep from Empire was pretty good. The installation took two days and it went very well. We had a lot going on tha...

Verified

… The installers did a good job. They came in and out, spent a lot of time, and took care of everything, moving my furniture easily. They took precautions not to break or damage a...

What is Empire Today?

Empire Today offers floor and window renovations for residential and commercial customers. To get started with Empire Today, visit its website to schedule a personalized shopping experience. All of Empire Today’s consultations take place in your home, which lets you find the samples that best match the decor in your home under your own lighting.

During the initial consultation, Empire’s independent contractor measures the room and provides a price estimate. Because measurements are taken before you purchase the materials, Empire Today can ensure that customers get the right amount of flooring needed for the job. All of the company’s installation services include a one-year limited warranty.

Empire Today also offers online tools to make interior decorating easier. The “See a Floor in Your Room” function on its website lets you upload a picture of your room and try different flooring options before scheduling a consultation. In addition, customers can see photos to use as inspiration for different rooms.

Empire flooring prices

While an in-home consultation is required to get an estimate of Empire Today’s products and services, the company does offer regular discounts, coupons and promotions on its website. New customers can get up to $250 off by signing up for Empire Today’s email service.

Financing options are also available. Empire Today’s credit card offers monthly payment options over 12 or 48 months with a 9.99% APR through Wells Fargo Bank.

Empire Today FAQ

Does Empire Today have showrooms or retail stores?
No. According to Empire Today, the company “brings the showrooms and retail stores to you.” Empire Today opts for a shop-at-home model instead of operating stores.
How do I shop with Empire?
To shop with Empire, book an appointment on its website or call the company to have a flooring specialist visit your home or business.
Is there any charge or obligation for an estimate?
No. In-home consultations through Empire Today are free, and there’s no charge or obligation to buy to receive an estimate.
Do the products have any warranty?
Yes, Empire Today’s products come with a manufacturer’s warranty and a limited installation warranty. It’s best to check with the company for specifics on the manufacturer’s warranty.
What type of financing options does Empire have?
Empire Today offers a credit card in partnership with Wells Fargo Bank. Currently, customers can choose from 12-month or 48-month payment plans.
Does Empire Today move furniture?
Yes, you can request furniture moving services through Empire Today. You’re responsible for moving small or breakable items.
How long does Empire take to install?
As long as products are in stock, Empire Today can install as quickly as the next day. The company works around your schedule.

Is Empire flooring a good deal?

We recommend Empire Today for homeowners and businesses who prefer to save on shopping time and see what flooring looks like in their space before purchasing. Customers praise Empire Today’s knowledgeable staff and the company’s quick service. Individuals with strangely shaped rooms or corners appreciate Empire Today’s in-home measurements, which make it easier to purchase the right type and amount of supplies before installation begins.

Empire Today Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Empire Today?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

We had a new house purchase and we had hardwood throughout except for three areas and we wanted to carpet them in a timely manner that was affordable. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot, but Empire was a better price point and could do it in my timeframe. The salesperson that came out was very punctual. He had more samples available, but he only brought a few in based on what we talked about. I said that I wanted to do the quote and then think about it.

Then immediately, like Empire, a different part of the company reached out and tried to offer a better price, and that was called a rehash team. I was back and forth with this rehash team ‘cause Empire was about $700 over where I wanted to be at, and I was trying to get that price point where I wanted it. The person that kept reaching out didn't have the authority to do that. But they eventually figured out and talked with a supervisor, and the supervisor said, “That's fine.” Brian came back out and we did the contract. He was unable to put that price in his system, but he assured me that it'd be fixed on the backend. It would be nicer if that was smoother, plus if it didn't have to happen like if the person that shows up to the house can offer the best price instead of going back and forth with the main company in a different location.

When we did the install, it was scheduled. Moses, the installer, was coming a very long distance from picking up the carpet to his first job. Then his first job of the day took all day so he wasn't going to be able to do my carpet until about 5 o'clock on a Friday night. That would not work. He couldn't do it the next day, Saturday, but he could do it Monday. He showed up on that day and did a nice job.

But Brian didn't order enough carpet because when he measured the house, it was 660, and he said he uses 800 for overages. It was like the price that I was charged was based off of 800 square feet. But when Moses showed me the work order, he said that it's for 661, and he was literally 3 feet shy. No one could tell me how much I was actually charged for. That was a very annoying part ‘cause I tried to follow up on that. They had to wait an extra week to reorder the carpet and come back and do the last room. Again, Moses came, did his job, and cleaned up.

The whole process itself was aggravating on top of all the other jobs I have going on. Better communication could have been had from the beginning and I'm still wondering if I paid for an extra 140 square feet of carpet when I didn’t get it. Well, in the end, I did, because a whole new piece was ordered, which I wasn't charged for, which was good. But it was unnecessary. If I had based my deadline on the original install on Friday that never happened, what if I tried to move in the next day because the job should have been done? I had the flexibility not to do that because then I would have had to move furniture and all that stuff where I had a totally empty house. It was frustrating. But in the end, we've been in our house for a week and the carpet seems fine.

Get buying tips about Flooring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2021

Our experience with Empire Today was amazing from start to finish. We started the process by scheduling a consultation online and the appointment was set shortly after. I was incredibly impressed with the sales person Ryan C. who came to our home. I have found that through this process the sales reps for some companies aren't as knowledgeable as the installation techs. This was not the case with Ryan. You could tell Ryan was confident and knew what he was talking about. He was also not pushy at all - I didn't feel like he was just there to make a sell but to also ensure we were truly happy with what we received. He gave us the time to consider our options and really went above and beyond to make sure we understood what we were getting, how to care for it, etc.

We had received quotes from multiple companies and ultimately went with Empire Today and Ryan due to their beautiful variety of flooring, pricing, and Ryan's knowledge and caring. We eventually decided to get the Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring with him because it best fit our needs. From the point that Ryan left until the installers came and finished was amazing. I was able to reach out to Ryan and ask a LOT of questions before our install and I never felt like I was bothering him. He always went out of his way to ensure I was heard and my questions answered - even when he was extremely busy with other appointments/etc - he always made sure to call me back by end of day.

The installers were amazing as well. They arrived on time and quickly got to work. You could tell they efficiently/expertly divided the work between themselves to ensure they got the work done quickly but beautifully/professionally. They were polite, friendly and helpful the whole time they were in our home. We were also working from home at the time - so they took extra care to work around us - as well as be mindful of where we were in the home and sound. I was so impressed at how quickly the floor was installed and how great it looked and how well done it was. They left all areas really clean and well done and checked with us multiple times before leaving that we were ok with how everything looked/etc. We are now a week past our install and I'm literally still in awe of how good our flooring looks and how well done it was.

I have one last note and this is again for Ryan - after our install Ryan took the time to answer questions about protecting our floor and has checked in on us to ensure we were happy. I don't think I've ever been more impressed with a sales person. You can tell Ryan takes pride in what he does and that his customers are satisfied. I can't speak for all salespeople at Empire Today but if all of them are like Ryan - you can count on having the company and its employees/contractors care for your home.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

There was an ad for 70% off of flooring. So, I initiated the call to Empire. I didn't buy the 70% off carpet because the salesman said that there was something else available, several other things that would be about $100 and $150 more. I went with one of the other ones that he showed me, and it's fine. It looks good. The installers were good. The gentlemen who came to my house had to go out to his car about four different times to get me different samples. He showed me the ones that were 70% off and some of the other ones that he had available that would be in the price range but a little bit more after discounts.

I had a little difficulty with the installation experience because I know the date that I gave the gentleman to schedule it for, and then I got an email telling me they were coming the next day, which was fine but I have a part-time employment right now. I need to leave the house at 4:00 o'clock. So, I called, and they said the first one starts at 8:00 to 10:00, and then 12:00 to 2:00, but I was on tap for the morning. It should be fine, although I would hear from the installers. I didn't hear from the installers, and it got to be just before noon, and I called. They said they'd be there between noon and 2:00. I called back again, and I didn't get a response. About 1:30, the installers called me and told me they would be here in about 25 minutes, which they were, and they did get it done. They were out by about 10 to 4:00.

It was only one room. It wasn't a lot but I spent virtually all day, and then had to be concerned. The installers told me if they would have known, they would have put me on their schedule for first thing. I told that to the gentleman who came to the house. I told that to the person on the phone. And the person on the phone, in the scheduling process, told me that I was scheduled for first thing in the morning. So, I was at my house all day. I was afraid to leave. That was a little too over-the-top for me.

The other thing is I had just contracted with a roofer and he put me through Wells Fargo, and Wells Fargo did not approve me for the full amount. So, I had to go and then get credit from another company.When the salesman from Empire came in, I told him, “I think I should qualify for your credit. But if this already hit, I wouldn't qualify.” He even asked me, “Was one of them Wells Fargo?” I said, “Yes.” He said, “Do you wanna go through us?” I said, “Well, yeah, I'd like it.” It was a very good deal for financing. There will be no interest to pay in 12 months. So, I said, “Yeah, I’d really like that.” Lo and behold, he put me through Wells Fargo. So, it's a mark on my credit for running it through Wells Fargo, and then being declined.

So, I pulled out one of my credit cards, and I had to put down 50%. I can pay it off and I'm not worried about the interest. It’ll take me two or three months to pay it off but it's worth it. I have the carpet. I'm happy with it. I'm happy with the job that the installers did. It's just that that really kind of ticked me off. I was ready to say, “Okay, forget it.” But now, since I’m this far through the process, you get to the point where you don't wanna shop around anymore. I would recommend Empire with stipulations like, “Watch out for this. Watch out for that.” I would say, “Yes. I would recommend that you at least have them come in and give you an estimate and stuff like that. But be leery, one, of the financing. Because not everybody is approved.” Even though my credit score was in the high sixes in one, and over 700 with the other, I didn't qualify because it was Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo had just given me $10,000 a couple of days before for my roof.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

When the sales rep from Empire Today, Robert, came out here, he was very respectful and knowledgeable. He listened well. Based off of what we said, he brought in specific samples instead of just bringing in a bunch of samples to overwhelm somebody. He narrowed it down to a couple of different books on each product. The other part of the deciding factor was that he made it sound so easy. It was like a one-stop shop where there were things that needed to be done. We didn't have to get someone that only did carpet then get someone else come in and do the floor. We had things such as the toilet that needed to be moved and we didn't have to get a plumber to move them. He made it sound easy.

The installation team was thorough in that they wanted us to check right away to make sure that the products that we had ordered were the same things like the colors. The challenging part of the interaction was that one of them spoke nothing but Spanish and the one that I was talking to spoke some English but mostly Spanish. I can speak some but I don't speak a lot. Thank goodness that I understood him enough to be able to communicate with him.

When you have that language barrier, they don't always understand exactly what happened in the initial sale with a representative. There was a point where Robert said that if my husband disconnected all of the plumbing, that they can move the sink and cabinet out and move the washer and dryer. I don't think that that gentleman understood that that was a promise. What he said to me in Spanish was that sales people make promises but that those promises they make are not always accurate. It was a little frustrating at first and he didn't want to help move that cabinet so my husband did take it out. He told me, “We're not supposed to move cabinets.” The cabinet wasn't even big. It was for a small slop sink. When I called Robert, he called his supervisor and said, “When they get ready to reinstall that cabinet, I want him to help Mr. ** with it,” and he did do it. The communication between the salesperson and the supervisor for the team that comes out is key.

The other problem we had was I had given Robert half of the money down to order and set the appointment. He told me then the other half will be expected when they arrived, and I said okay. When they arrived, I gave the guy my credit card. He called whatever number they call to get the cards approved and he said that he couldn't get it approved because it was busy. He wanted a check so I started to write a check. Then he told me in Spanish that he couldn't take a personal check, that he wanted a cashier's check from the bank. I told him I was not going to leave the house and go to the bank to get the rest of the money. I said, “This is the same card that I gave Robert. There's not a problem with the card." He was kind of delayed in that he was trying to get it approved before they would work. But he finally sent the other guy upstairs to start working.

He was on the phone for about 30 minutes and he couldn’t get it approved. If the credit card place is busy, then they need to give him another option that he can use so that he's not the one feeling paralyzed by the situation. He said it was so busy and that he was going to stay on the phone, but that he would start working. He was telling me that his supervisor said he couldn't take a personal check and I told him that wasn't true because Robert was going to take a personal check from me. He said that the credit card is a little bit quicker in getting it approved that was why I used the credit card. But it finally did get approved. The crew themselves were really good as far as getting the job done. One started working on the bathroom and the other one started installing the carpet on the stairway. Then they both finished the laundry room together and cleaned up after themselves. They were very hard workers and respectful. They did a great job.

The only thing that would be good to tell the installers is that when they're laying stuff that they're taking, like when they're pulling floors up and they have their tools, instead of laying their tools on the flooring or on the carpeting, would be to have something that they lay down and put that stuff on so that there's not the possibility of scratching or tearing a floor.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I found a discount from another store and there was a $300 savings. But Empire Today did better than that, so that was good. I made an appointment online on the weekend, had an appointment for the next week, and they installed the carpet one week later. We did the installation in one room and then two half stairways. We have a split level and the stairway had carpeting on them, but it was kind of an old oriental style. It wasn’t fully carpeted on the stairs, so I wasn’t imagining anything different.

When the guy came to install the carpet, he asked if I wanted that the carpet didn’t cover the whole thing. He said they would have had to have bound the carpet in order to do that. He also said that they would have to take the carpet back to the factory and they’d have to cut it and bind it in order to bring it and do it on another day. I told him to do whatever was the easiest. The fully carpeted was the easiest one, and it looks a lot better than how it’s been the way it was before, and bound the way I imagined it being. So that turned out better. But it was not something that he addressed or asked me, or even talked to me about when I said I needed these carpeted. If he asked me, then the decision could have been made beforehand.

I picked different carpets for the stairs and for the living room. But they were similar. The carpet that I chose for the stairs was better for more traffic. When the guy came to install it, he had me check the swatch. I said, “Yes.” But then a little while later, I told him, “There are two different carpets. You have the other one, right?” I showed him the pictures and he said, “Oh, yeah.” Then he went out to the truck and he started working. I asked him a little while later if he found the other carpet and he said, “Yes.” But I never checked it. They’re several feet away from each other, but if you look at them, they’re exactly the same, which is fine. The carpet that I ended up with was the more expensive of the two that I had chosen, and it looks great. It’s all uniform. So it all worked out.

The guys that came to install the carpet were wonderful. One of them was more bilingual than the other, so he did most of the conversing with me. There was still a little bit of misunderstanding but everyone worked out great. They were very efficient and professional. I would definitely use Empire Today again. I’m a first-time homeowner and it was my first time dealing with anything like this, but I would now know to ask more questions.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I previously used Empire right when the pandemic started and was satisfied with the carpet and work. However, I was just quoted to finish the rest of the house today and was shocked at the price. The total area being quoted is 3 times the downstairs which I was expecting to be 3 times the price. Wrong. The price is 9 times what it was a year and a half ago. 9 times the price! To say I was shocked is an understatement.

Empire Today response

Dan, we're sorry to hear this. We've located your account and we're looking into this. We'll follow up with you tomorrow.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

They put aluminum as a transition piece, worse look ever. Said the vinyl I selected only came with aluminum. No one told Us this in advance. They glued it down and it lifted in several places and said they could come glue it again. Refused to change it out, inferior product and company who will Not stand behind their product. I was told, "Sorry but we won’t help you." It cost us an additional $200 to fix the problem. Don’t use them. I was told by installer they used a cheap product and that was why we got aluminum.

Empire Today response

John, we're sorry to hear this. We've located your account and we're looking into this. We'll follow up with you tomorrow.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

My first experience with Empire Today was wonderful. They did exactly what they said they were going to do. We used them again and had the vinyl flooring installed in the dining room, kitchen, hallway, bedroom, and living room. We love the product. It would have been way cheaper if we did it ourselves, but it was a lot of work. Because we had tile to come out in the hallway and the kitchen had to be chipped out. But the cost was higher than what I expected it would be by about $1,000.

When we bought the flooring, the salesman told us that it would take a day to a day and a half to put in. He said the subcontractors normally tell you to plan for two days. So I had to take time off work. The installation guy only worked three hours on the first day, and then left by noon. Then he came back the next day and worked all day. But then he had to come back the next day because he didn't finish. I don't know why they only did three hours and left. There wasn't any reason to. There was so much more work that could have been done. So I missed three days of work. I contacted Empire about it but I never heard anything back from them.

When the installers chipped out the tiles, they used a grinder to grind it all down afterward. But they didn’t cover things, so it took my husband and I about a day and a half to wash all the walls. We also had to clean every curtain and blanket. The white dust was even in my cabinet, and all over my dishes and the canned goods. It was crazy. If they would have told us what to expect, we could have prepared better. We were surprised they didn't put drop cloths over things. They put a drop cloth over one counter beside the stove, and that was it. Everything else was still open.

Empire Today response

Stephanie, we regret to hear that your experience did not meet your expectation. If you have further questions or concerns please email customersupport@empire-today.com.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Nobody came on my first appointment with Empire. They told me the material was not in. Another visit was scheduled two days later but the material was still not there. Another schedule was made a week later. The workers came out and they were very considerate and they did a great job. But they didn't have enough material and only came in to do half of the job. Everything was on backorder.

I spoke with the manager and asked, "Can you tell me you guys are gonna have the material together tomorrow?" He couldn't guarantee that. I said, "I can't guarantee your check is gonna clear, then." He then said, "Don't pass. I don't care." He just won't do the job. He was extremely rude and he told me he was doing me a favor by not charging me for the extra material while my house was being ripped apart. I did maintenance for years and I told him, "If I was putting a roof on, I made sure I had enough shingles. How would you feel if you had somebody come out to your house to put your roof on and they ran out of shingles?" His response was, "I wouldn't have to hire anybody. I would do it myself."

I contacted my sales rep, who was also excellent, and he told me he also had problems with this manager. He should be fired or put in the field to let him see what he's doing wrong and how these poor workers are coming out and getting yelled at. I filed a complaint against this manager and the way he talked to me. Empire never got back to me. I will never ever ever in a million years recommend or do any business with Empire again ever.

Empire Today response

Fred, we're sorry about the experience you had with us. We're looking into this and we'll follow up with you tomorrow.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Empire Today did a vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen and eating area, and they put down carpets in the bedrooms. I like the quality and the sales rep was very professional. I have on order carpet for the stairwell, the hallway upstairs and the living room downstairs.

Empire Today Company Information