Best Dumpster Rentals
ConsumerAffairs Research Team
Updated on 02/28/2018
When it’s time for a home improvement project, you’ll be surprised by how much garbage you’ll need to get rid of. If you find yourself with a bit more trash than your bins can handle, a roll-off dumpster rental can make your home improvement project so much easier, cleaner and cheaper.
We spoke with Ben Soreff, professional organizer from House to Home Organizing who told us that roll-off dumpsters can be a lot more affordable than a junk-hauling service. A dumpster rental company typically delivers a roll-off dumpster to your home, leaves it in your driveway or other designated spot and comes back to retrieve it once you or your contractors have filled it.
Compare Reviews for Top Dumpster Rental Services
|Republic Services||Read 325 Reviews|
Republic Services is a recycling and non-hazardous waste disposal service, operating in 41 U.S. states and Puerto Rico. Call for quotes and prices on residential, commercial, municipal and industrial waste pickup and processing.
|Budget Dumpster||Read Expert Review|
Budget Dumpster provides dumpster rentals for homeowners, contractors and businesses in 46 states. They are available in five capacities, from 10 to 40 cubic yards. Call or visit their website for price estimates and scheduling.
|1-800-GOT-JUNK||Read Expert Review|
1-800-GOT-JUNK is an alternative to a home dumpster rental. The company will come haul away any nonhazardous junk including old appliances, furniture, mattresses and more. They operate in 43 states plus Australia and Canada.
|Waste Management||Read Expert Review|
Waste Management provides residential and commercial waste management in 15 states, including New Jersey, Minnesota, Utah and California. It also offers a dumpster rental service for homeowners, contractors and small businesses.
|Next Day Dumpsters||Read Expert Review|
Next Day Dumpsters rents 10-, 15-, 20- and 30-yard dumpsters to homeowners, contractors and small businesses at flat rate prices. It is located in 13 states, including Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Utah and Washington D.C.
|Advanced Disposal||Read Expert Review|
Advanced Disposal provides dumpster rental services for homeowners and small businesses in Minnesota, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Michigan and 12 other states. Call for rental quotes for a 20-, 30- or 40-yard dumpster.
Common questions about dumpster rentals
How much does a dumpster cost to rent?
Expect to pay $350 per week for a 10 yard dumpster to over $500 per week for a 40-yard dumpster. Essentially, dumpster rental cost depends on the size of dumpster you want. For a cheap dumpster rental, you’ll want to rent a smaller dumpster. Dumpster prices are set by each roll-off dumpster rental company. Rates can be either flat or variable. Flat means that you pay a single fee up front for a set rental time. Variable rates involve paying little or nothing up front, but the company can charge you additional fees for delivery, fuel, dumping or anything else.
- 10 yard dumpster: up to $350 per week
- 20-yard dumpster: $350-$450 per week
- 30-yard dumpster: $450-$500 per week
- 40-yard dumpster: $500+ per week
What can you put in a dumpster?
Most dumpsters can take any type of junk or refuse as long as it’s not hazardous waste. Here’s a list of standard materials that go in a dumpster.
- Trash bags: Anything you can throw away in a trash can, you can put in a dumpster. This includes trash bags.
- Construction scraps: Wood, stone, concrete, tile, drywall and other type of construction material can go in a dumpster.
- Junk and furniture: Dumpster rental is an excellent option for furniture removal and for clearing out old junk. Depending on the dumpster company, their junk removal options could include a mattress, which is rare because mattress disposal must be done carefully. Ask your dumpster rental company to see if they take care of mattress removal.
- Green waste: Some dumpsters can take limbs, trees, grass clippings and other natural wastes from landscaping projects. Make sure you talk with the rental company to see if they will dispose of green waste.
What is not allowed in a dumpster?
Hazardous chemicals and materials should not go in your rental dumpster. Paint, bleach, pesticides, gasoline, toxic cleaning liquids and other similar materials need be disposed of through other means. Similarly, electronics, tires and automotive supplies are also not allowed in dumpsters. Putting these materials in dumpsters may incur extra fees. Contact your local public works department to find out about your hazardous waste removal options.
How long can you rent a dumpster?
The duration of your dumpster rental is usually agreed up front, but the usual rates are calculated for a 5-7 day rental. Sometimes, if you finish a project early, you can ask the company to pick up your roll-off dumpster before your rental period ends. You can usually extend your rental for a fee.
Does the rental company offer recycling?
If you’re concerned about where the trash will go once it is removed from your home, find out if the company offers recycling for eligible items. Large waste management companies sometimes provide dumpster rentals, and these companies nearly always have options to recycle eligible items from your dumpster.
How to rent a dumpster
Step 1: Get a dumpster permit
If you’re renting a dumpster, you may need a proper permit. Check with the dumpster rental company to see if you require a permit from the city. You can also talk to your local homeowners association or your public works department to find out if you need a dumpster permit.
Step 2: Research additional dump fees
Much like a permit, you’ll need to find out if there are any fees associated with dumpster rentals. Your local public works department or the dumpster rental company should let you know if there are any external dumping fees.
Step 3: Order your dumpster
Most companies allow you to order a dumpster by calling their office or filling out an online form. They can help you choose the right size and how long you want to keep it (as little as a day or as long as several weeks). You generally have to pay a deposit at the time of your order, which can range from $50 to $100 or more.
Step 4: Wait for delivery
The company will deliver the dumpster to your home on the date you specified when you signed up for services. If you plan to have the dumpster placed on your concrete driveway, Soreff recommends asking the company if they’ll bring plywood planks to place under it. This can help prevent damage to your driveway.
Step 5: Fill the dumpster
While the dumpster sits at your residence or construction site, you can fill it with whatever debris you need to discard.
Step 6: Wait for pickup
The rental company will haul off the dumpster on the agreed-upon date. If you need extra time, you can extend your rental for a fee.
Typical dumpster sizes and dimensions
A 5-yard dumpster is the most common commercial dumpster you see. Dumpsters with capacities of 5 cubic yards can hold about 45 bags of garbage or about the same capacity of two pickup trucks.
A dumpster with a capacity of 10 cubic yards is ideal for smaller home remodeling projects or furniture removal. A 10-yard dumpster can hold as much as three to four pickup trucks.
Dumpsters that can hold 15 cubic yards is ideal for small- to medium-sized remodel projects at your home. A 15-yard dumpster has about the same capacity as four to six pickup trucks.
A 20-yard dumpster can contain trash and materials for medium- to large-sized projects, like roofing work or multiple room remodels. A dumpster with a capacity of 20 cubic yards can hold as much as seven to nine pickup trucks.
A 30-yard dumpster can help with even bigger home projects like complete home remodels and tree trimming. A dumpster with a capacity of 30 cubic yards can hold as much as 15 pickup trucks.
A 40-yard dumpster can help with large construction or demolition projects. A dumpster with a capacity of 40 cubic yards can hold as much as 18 pickup trucks.
Dumpster rental expert reviews
Budget Dumpster operates a residential roll-off dumpster rental service in 46 states. You can choose the size and capacity that fits your space and needs. Order online or by phone.
- Dumpster capacities: Budget Dumpster has dumpsters in 10, 15, 20, 30 and 40 cubic yard capacities. All these options mean you’re sure to find the right size for your home improvement project.
- Dumpster sizes: All of Budget Dumpster’s containers are 8 feet wide, but they vary from 10 to 20 feet long and from 3.5 to 7 feet high.
- Flat-rate pricing: Budget Dumpster offers flat-rate pricing to simplify the process. You won’t be surprised with hidden or variable fees when you get your bill. There are fees if you exceed the weight capacity of the dumpster, and pricing varies by region, so check the company’s website for a quote on the size of dumpster you need.
- Telephone or online ordering: Call Budget Dumpster to arrange delivery and pickup of the dumpster you choose, and they’ll take care of the rest. You can also order online anytime.
- Fees: It’s important to know that Budget Dumpster charges a $150 fee if you cancel or change a pickup request on the day it is scheduled to occur. They also charge a $150 fee if access to the dumpster is blocked when they try to retrieve it on pickup day.
- Best for: homeowners and contractors who need a dumpster.
1-800-GOT-JUNK is a full-service junk removal company. It does not rent dumpsters but rather hauls off junk using a team of two employees who come to your home or office on an agreed-upon date. The company has locations in 43 states as well as Canada and Australia. Check online for availability in your region.
- How it works: The company will send two employees and a truck to your home or office, and you simply point out the junk you want hauled away. They can remove items from your yard, basement or anywhere in your home or office. They’ll even sweep up when they’re done.
- What they take: 1-800-GOT-JUNK removes any nonhazardous items from your home or office as long as they can be carried by two strong people. This includes large and small appliances, mattresses, TVs, refrigerators, carpet, hot tubs, furniture, electronics, bicycles and more.
- Easy online scheduling: Enter your zip code on the company’s website to see a calendar with available pick-up dates and times.
- Pricing on-site: The employees will give you an all-inclusive price for your junk removal when they arrive at your home or office for pickup. If you don’t want to pay the price they quote, you are under no obligation to use their services.
- Recycling and donation: The company recycles and donates as much of your junk as they can. If any of it is in usable condition, they’ll donate it to local charities.
- Best for: homeowners and businesses with large appliances, mattresses and other junk hey need hauled away.
Waste Management is the leading waste services provider in the United States. It offers trash collection and recycling to over 21 million customers in Arizona, California, Utah, Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Florida, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, North Dakota, Washington, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Waste Management also offers a dumpster rental service in select areas.
- Dumpster capacities: Waste Management’s standard rental dumpsters have capacities of 20, 30 and 40 cubic yards. Small 3 cubic yard dumpsters are available in a few regions.
- Dumpster sizes: All of the dumpsters are 8 feet high. The 20 cubic yard dumpster is 3.5 feet high and 20 feet long, the 30 cubic yard dumpster is 5 feet high and 22 feet long and the 40 cubic yard dumpster is 7 feet high and 23 feet long.
- Order online: You can schedule a dumpster delivery and pay online 24/7. You’ll receive instant online pricing when you schedule your delivery. Rush service is available for an additional fee.
- Standard order: A standard residential dumpster rental includes delivery and pickup, three days of use and a set tonnage (for instance, the 20 cubic yard dumpster includes a 4-ton limit). A standard order costs about $420 on average, but it varies depending on your area. You can add more days or tonnage for additional fees.
- Bagster Bag for smaller projects: If you don’t need a whole dumpster for your junk removal, try Waste Management’s Bagster Bag. It’s great for smaller renovations and cleanouts. You can buy the bag at your local home improvement store, fill it with up to 3,300 pounds of waste and schedule a collection online. The cost of pickup varies by region but is about $140 on average.
- Best for: home improvement projects of all sizes.
Next Day Dumpsters is a dumpster rental company with locations in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington, D.C. It has served more than 18,000 customers.
- Dumpster capacities: Next Day Dumpsters rents 10, 15, 20 and 30 cubic yard dumpsters.
- Dumpster sizes: Each of Next Day’s dumpsters are 8 feet wide. The 10 cubic yard dumpster is 3 feet tall and 12 feet long, the 15 cubic yard dumpster is 4 feet tall and 16 feet long, the 20 cubic yard dumpster is 4 feet tall and 22 feet long and the 30 cubic yard dumpster is 5 feet tall and 22 feet long.
- Easy ordering: You can call the company to get a quote and schedule a drop-off, or you can fill out an online form and someone from the company will call you.
- Flat-rate pricing: Next Day Dumpsters’ price quotes include delivery, pickup, disposal and a two-week rental period. Next Day doesn’t charge for delivery or fuel, but you may have to pay extra if you exceed the agreed-upon weight limit (tonnage) for your dumpster.
- Next-day delivery: Next Day Dumpsters’ name was chosen for a reason: The company will drop off your dumpster the next day after you place your order at no extra charge. This is great for those times you need a dumpster at the last minute.
- Best for: homeowners and contractors who need a next-day dumpster rental.
Advanced Disposal is the fourth largest solid waste service provider in the United States. It serves homeowners, businesses and construction crews in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia and the Bahamas and Advanced Disposal offers both roll-off and commercial dumpster rental service.
- Dumpster capacities: Advanced Disposal offers 20-, 30- and 40-yard roll-off dumpsters.
- Dumpster sizes: Each of the dumpsters is 8 feet wide. The 20 cubic yard dumpster is 3.5 feet tall and 22 feet long, the 30 cubic yard dumpster is 5.5 feet tall and 22 feet long and the 40 cubic yard dumpster is 8 feet tall and 22 feet long.
- Commercial dumpsters: If you need a long-term dumpster rental, Advanced Disposal offers a 2, 4, 6 and 8 cubic yard option. These are ideal for small businesses, strip malls, churches and office buildings.
- Online service requests: You can fill out an online form to request service, report an issue or ask a question. A company representative will contact you with more information.
- Best for: homeowners, small businesses and construction workers.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.