DeWALT Tools

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was missing a part for my new DeWALT cordless weed trimmer. I called customer service and had to wait more than 20 minutes for the lady to find the part. She said she would have it mailed out. I have waited more than 2 weeks and still have not received the part.

The worse from who I expected to be the best, the cobalt drill bits snap so easy. I was left in disbelief, so I purchased another set, and time after time they continued to crack and shatter at low speed with a cordless drill. I was drilling stainless steel and high carbon steel, at first I thought it was me, but time after time they would snap at the least resistance! Very poor quality!!! Advertised best for stainless steel with 4X longer life. DeWALT cobalt drill bit are poor quality.

On Sept 10, 2016 I was working with a DeWALT grinding disc, it had only been used 2 very short times, when I went to use it the third time I squeezed the trigger and NEVER even touched the disc to anything but the disc blew apart. I ended up having a gash on the side of my face and had to go to the hospital. The Emergency Room doctor cauterized my gash to get it to stop bleeding. I ended up with 3 internal stitches and 9 external stitches. It took 2 months to heal.

Upon contacting DEWALT and have many calls back and forth, the company has taken the stand that the DEWALT cut off wheel is made by another company and they have no responsibility. After months of talking to them my wife had abrupt conversation with Ross ** and was told that "it was your husband's fault and that their findings were there was no defect". They have forwarded the information to the company that "makes the disc" and that company never got back to Ross **.

DEWALT feels the case is closed. Why can't they take responsibility? I have been working on cars since I was 12 yrs old (I am now 50) and graduated from a Automotive program, so I am not new to the auto repair situation. How can a product shatter into 3 pieces and it is not defective or their responsibility? They claim since I got angry and threw the grinder out, they are blaming it on that and anything else but the disc. They claim that a disc blowing apart is not a defect but "operators error". This sounds to me like big corporate America screws the little guy again. The least they could have offered was to pay the hospital copay or stitches being removed.

Thanks to DEWALT I have an embarrassing lifetime scar on my face. A few more inches one way and I would have lost an eye but, a few more inches the other way and I could have hit a major vein in my throat and died, AND IT IS NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY? Must be nice to rake in money on a product and not back it. The disc said DEWALT not this other company they are trying to pass the buck to.

The drill bit chucks on DeWalt drills are a complete worthless piece of crap. They will not keep the bits from slipping and loosen up to the point that the bit falls out. Anyone looking to buy either an electric or a cordless drill best find another brand.

I did massive research before buying 3 piece combo tool kit of DCF 887 impact driver, drill and flashlight. The driver works great in position 2 & 3 but not in drive position 1 which I need for driving screws into drywall, etc. As another reviewer mentioned their website is very user-unfriendly and doesn't allow you to leave a review there or register your products. Trying to exchange the kit so if things improve I'll leave another review but right now I'm not impressed with this brand name that I thought was king of the drills.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DeWALT?

I want to get the review of DeWalts portable radio out there so no one else has a terrible letdown. This product has notable static for reception even local am\fm stations [forget about others]. Obvious weak antenna. Electrical audible surging caused by charging a battery while using radio. Poor sound quality from speakers, distortion occurs if volume turned up past 1/2 way of control dial. If you want to listen to the added bass feature speakers cannot be volume increased above 1\4 way before complete speaker distortion. Note that this is supposed to be a worksite radio. The rubber auxiliary port cover does not stay in the port to protect dirt from entering. The pre set programing coin battery that comes with the radio was dead. When purchased it should have had a plastic pull tab to keep from draining prior to purchase.

Note that this is not an internal bluetooth device. You must spend another 40$ for adaptor which would not make this unit very portable on a job site. The plugin a\c cord does not detach from unit while using on battery power. Instead must be wrapped up around cord handling provisions on bottom of radio. Not a complete disappointment but the portability option without dragging the cord would have been better. Found it cheap that the added a\c ports x3 on the side of the radio is rated at 10/a max. Not much good for construction tools unless you prefer to melt the connections. For the retail price of $230 cad DEWALT should be ashamed to put their name to this product.

Oscillating multi tool died 2 days after Lowe's 90 day warranty expired, as if it was with a timer. It was only lightly used and died doing the same task as a Dremel tool (Dremel finished both). The product has cheap plastic parts and tends to overheat. When at Lowe's I was told the product has been discontinued (probably because they were all duds) but could have been a lie from the staff, not 100% sure. I still see them at shelves at HD and Lowe's. Dewalt's customer service is a joke and virtually nonexistent. I regret investing on DeWalt, should have gone Bosch or Hitachi.

I recently purchased a Dewalt bundle which included brush-less angle grinder, brush-less jigsaw (haven't used it yet), torch, impact driver, brushless circular saw, and non brushless drill, all 18V battery powered via 3 x batteries and charger provided. Total cost at around £700.00. I run a handyman business and the unit used mostly is obviously the drill.

What's the useless unit? Yep, its the drill. Every time I use it the chuck comes undone and the drill bit drops out! I thought it was just me at first not tightening, then when it became av regular occurrence called my local Dewalt stockist who said to use Dewalt Drill Bits, which have a different shank. Yep, you guessed it, more expense and guess what? Yep, exactly the same, they suddenly drop out. Useless piece of kit not fit for purpose. Will Dewalt do anything about it, not likely, far too busy selling more tools than looking after customers who have used their products for years. I found a solution. I got my old Dewalt drill out and recharged the one old style battery pack I have left and use that instead. How the mighty fall!!.

Tried to send a comment to DeWalt on their site, but it kept kicking it out. Didn't really want to put this in a review, since I have been a DeWalt guy for at least the past 20+ years. But your multi-tool has got to be one of the worst one I have ever purchased, the blade was dull right out of the package, and it won't hold an edge worth spit. Not to mention bulk for what it offers is far too much, the screw drivers are substandard and the scissors quality of operation is dismal. I guess it's back to Gerber, Bear, SOG, Leatherman or one of the many other ones. My faith in DeWalt has definitely been shaken for the first time!

I bought a P1000 DeWalt Fastening tool, and had to exchange the 1st one the same day a couple weeks back. Well, I thought it was probably just a bad batch or this one tool out of a good batch. The same thing on the 2nd one, and it's worse, I have had to go through about 5 cartridges just to get a nail driven in. I will not buy any DeWalt tools anymore, I'm taking this back for a full refund. I have my old 20 plus year old Remington, that needs some oiling and shake off a little rust. But DeWalt is going to have one big issue in a huge liability claim, when someone gets hurt or killed from lack of proper testing. And I've cracked half my concrete in addition to this bad experience.

DeWalt Support/WARRANTY website is a joke! I typed in my zip code for a service center, and they gave me one 25 miles away. I called first, and they said they do not accept drills. I called the toll free customer support number, typed in my zip code on the phone, guess what same service center. The next service center is in another state 60+ miles away. I live near three major cities! So I called again and spoke to a Black & Decker rep, they transferred me??? So I called again. I have a 3 yr warranty, 2 years left on it. Drill (DCF610S2) Guaranteed tough website states. Drill stopped while drilling a screw in a 2x4, and smelled electric odor. Not covered, wear and tear item, yea drilling is wear and tear duh. I will never buy another DeWalt again, poor management, will not honor warranty. Incorrect service lookup, deceptive advertising. (See website) Need a class action lawsuit lawyer.

Do you know of a product that works for just one week and even with a 3 year warranty certificate refuses to accept any responsibility - that is DeWalt. They are rude, arrogant and nobody should buy from them - their tm - is tough. I thought this was about their products - it isn't. It is about their attitude.

Bought a planer and stand. Stand number is DW7350. Included was about one third of the hardware to set the stand up. Retailer is happy to make it right. I only have to drive 100 miles round trip in a truck that gets 17 to the gal. and spend a half of a day's productivity; that is to say, 4 hours driving through traffic. Customer "service" doesn't answer the phone. I listened to the message about how they would be right with me 13 times by actual count. The website is worthless. I am getting ready to drive to the hardware store and fix this at my own expense. Won't be buying DeWalt again anytime soon.

I have bought this D51238K Dewalt Brad Nailer for various projects around my house. I have owned it just over a year and have had minimal usage on it. Maybe a small package of 2" brads have gone through it. Overall the product worked as advertised until one day it stopped shooting brads. It makes all the appropriate sounds, just doesn't shoot brads any more. I called up Dewalt and they said since it was over a year old there was nothing will do. I discussed my usage on the Brad Nailer and my collection of their 20v series I have inquired and they could care less. The reason I purchase Dewalt tools is because once the warranty runs out I am confident that I have a sound product that I can rely on. There is no reason that my Brad Nailer went out. At the rate it was used it should have lasted for many years.

This experience has really made me think twice about only relying on Dewalt. As you can see from my pictures I am heavily invested in their 20v series along with numerous other tools not pictured. There are many different tools that Milwaukee, Ryobi, and others make that I have steered away from until now. I have spent thousands of dollars and have created amazing projects, yet Dewalt won't stand behind their products – makes it tough for a DIY like myself. My email is ** if anyone wished to further contact me on this issue.

I bought a 1/2" drill May 16 and have tried many times to register my drill and create an account on the DeWALT website. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the site and tired of wasting my time online. It appears the site is display only and e-attempts to contact the company have failed. I would not have made the purchase on any DeWALT tool if I had known this would happen. If DeWALT cannot satisfy a customer on an initial benign contact, what will a warranty issue bring? I plan to return the tool in the 90 days allowed.

I can understand the frustration of the other reviewers. I just bought a sander yesterday at Home Depot and the first thing I did was try and get it registered for warranty purpose. I went online and it did not work. In the booklet that came with the sander it stated if there was any problems to call customer service. I did. I was on hold for 17 minutes, with a voice saying "Please wait. We will get with you", etc. After these 17 minutes a voice came on and said "We can't help you right now" and then hung up. I tried online again the next day and the whole DeWALT website is down. Never again will I buy DeWALT, but they probably don't care and are even laughing at me saying, "Sucker we got you to buy this sander."

After reading excellent reviews on the DeWalt DW788 scroll saw I purchased one at the end of December, 2015. I was initially delighted by how well it performed. Shortly after purchasing it I discovered it was NOT the one I had read the reviews on. The original DW 788 was developed for DeWalt by the manufacturer of the top of the line Excaliber Scroll saw. This was the "type 1" DW 788. It was a great success and got rave reviews.

To keep the target $500 price in the big box stores, DeWalt moved the manufacturing to Asia and used less expensive components. It still looked identical to the original model and was still called DW 788. No mention was made in any advertising or user manual about the change to "type 2". I only learned of this through a woodworking blog. Some new owners of "type 2" were starting to have bearing failures and high vibration. The only indication on my saw was tiny print that said "type 2" on the label on the motor. Obviously they were not planning to let the consumer know of the change. Despite this I was pleased with the saw and was optimistic that I had a good one. After about 2 weeks the saw developed a knock that got progressively worse over the next few days. It was obvious something had come loose inside the saw.

Since it was under full warranty for a full year I took it to a authorized factory repair shop, Contractor Nail and Tool in North Charleston, SC which is an hour drive from my house. They said it would take about a week to repair it. A week later I called to get a status update and was told by the repair technician that he was very busy and decided send it to the DeWalt factory repair center in Greenville, SC. He said they would be able to get right on it. 7 days later I called again and the same technician said it had only been picked up the day before. 7 days later I called again, spoke to the same technician. It was not back yet, but he promised to call DeWalt to get a status update. He called back and said it was delayed because they had to order parts.

Finally after almost 5 weeks it was back. I drove over, picked it up and remounted it back on the stand. When I tried to mount a blade it would not clamp properly. Whoever repaired it at DeWalt in Greenville, SC had left the set screws out of the blade holders! The thumb screws were in, but will not clamp without the matching set screws on the other side. Obviously the saw had not even been tested after repair. The people at Contractor Nail and Tool were very sympathetic and agreed to have the set screws overnighted to me. They actually arrived 2 days later, but finally I was ready to use the saw again! The saw had considerable more vibration than when new, but much worse was that it was impossible to make a tight turn in a cut. The blade would keep on cutting forward. When I checked the blade alignment I found the top of the blade was angled forward about 4. This made the saw useless for detail sawing.

At this point I was disgusted and decided to take advantage of DeWalt's 90 day satisfaction guarantee refund. I was told by DeWalt customer service I had to either ship or take the saw to the DeWalt Service Center in Charlotte, NC. I decided to drive the 4 hours rather than having to repackage the heavy saw and ship it. The person in the service center verified it was not damaged, and after making a copy of my proof of purchase gave me a receipt for the saw. He said I should receive a check from Stanley/Black & Decker in about 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks I called the toll free number on the receipt to verify that the check was not lost. After finally getting through to a real person, I learned that he could see no record of the return in the system. He said he would open a case for me and someone would get back to me. No one did, so I called back a few days later, and finally got through to another person. This time he found the case opened by the other person and apologized that nobody got back to me. This time I scanned the receipt from DeWalt service center and sent it to him to attach to the case.

Today it is a week later. Still nobody has contacted me and no check. It is now 8 weeks since the saw was returned. I called again today with same results. The person who finally took my call can give me no information about when I will get my refund other than to say it is on file and somebody will call me when my case gets to the top of the list.

I purchased a DeWalt 1/2" drill yesterday and tried to register it through the DeWalt site as the 3year warranty is invalid unless registered. The site doesn't work. Can't contact the company through email or chat, no option to register through mail, no option to register over the phone. Called and talked with a service person for some other option and was told the site was down and apologized for it but gave no indication when or if the site will be available again. Hope I don't lose my purchase documentation as will have no warranty. If DeWalt doesn't care about this area (registration), this will be the last product I will purchase from them, especially after reading previous reviews.

Talked to trade show reps about the radio tuner being bad and he was going to follow. Still no word, reviews of bad tuners are abundant. Have two units, both bad, other friends have them and are bad too. So what next?

I bought a 4.5 DeWalt grinder model D28402 in 2008 and used it on 1 project, less than 1 hour of run time. I needed to use it recently (Jan. 2016) and it failed electrically. I removed the access panel and checked for continuity in the power cord and the connections at the motor and they are both fine. I tried to contact DeWalt through their website "contact us" link but it wouldn't work either. I was able to message them through Facebook and they gave me a site to contact and told me to include my contact info and pictures of the grinder. I did contact them with an explanation and pictures that clearly demonstrate the minimal use, and they pointed out the obvious expired warranty and gave me links and phone numbers to order replacement parts or a possible trade deal. I'm sure DeWalt tools will survive without my business.

What's up with DeWalt? I can't register my tool online. What a joke if I have known that I would have got something else. A big company like that and you have to register online. And you can't by phone. I tried several times to go online and register and won't let me. I'm not the only one.

I have had a 18v cordless drill for about a year now from new and after a month the shaft has bent. I ignored it as it wasn't too bad and I thought maybe that's normal for these new drills. I then bought a 18v sds xr 235 bare tool and again after a month's use the shaft bent. Only this time it was a lot worst. I try to drill a 5.5 mm. hole and it makes a 10 mm. hole. So I contacted Marshall and Parsons which are the people in the UK that fix your DeWALT under warranty. I sent the sds drill to them and they said they fixed it.

Got it back and it's exactly the same as when I sent it. I asked them about the shaft being bent and they came back with "This is normal for DeWALT drills" and refused to fix it. I've had DeWALT drills and various other tools reciprocator, skill saw, jig saw, radio. But the new lithium brand of DeWALT does not seem very strong. The customer service are unwilling to help so I think I'm going to sell my DeWALT tools and move to another brand. Very disappointed.

I just purchased A palm sander and I'm curious why DeWalt sends a bag to put an individual sander in that won't fit. Have multiple sets of other tools with bags that work well but then they send a useless one with a sander? Seems like a waste of money to me.

I have 2 routers, a table saw, planer, 15-in miter saw, 2 corded drills, 3 cordless drills plus various odds & ends - all deWALT. They are used everyday extensively in my workshop. The hand tools have been dropped from ladders, benches, not once did they fail to startup or misbehave. The miter stand did have a small issue, a spot weld prevented the bolt from threading a few pushes from a rat tail file open the orifice. Thank you deWALT for your excellent products.

18v DC970 drill/driver - Bought one in 2012. Chuck shafts broke inside drill. Another 2014 last June, smoked the motor two weeks ago. I'm not all that upset about the drills, as much as the poor quality of the newer style of the old batteries. They just aren't lasting like they should. I'm a 36 year electrician, all I have in my truck is DeWALT (saws, drills, impacts). If something doesn't change, I'll retool with another company brand. Feeling let down in Indy!!!

I purchased a compact 20V drill/driver on 12/5/2014. I have tried for 3 days to get into Dewalt website to register it since. If I can't get to their website within 7 days, I am taking it back for a refund. I have been burned on warranty repairs and replacements before and don't intend to get burned again.

I called for a quote and was given a quote. When I got to the store a 40 minute drive later, they gave me another price triple what the original price was. This was for a max repair so nothing should have been different. For what they wanted you could almost buy a new one.

I purchased NEW the DeWalt Framing Nailer and the first time I used the nailer - the fourth nail triggered - the gun blew. Air began leaking and could no longer use. It was new and not used. I am told it will cost $75.00 to repair. DO NOT BUY.

DeWalt Chop Saw Stand DWX726 - Bought this stand at HD because it looked even more substantial than the Ridgid model next to it. It cost $50 more but I use my tools for work so I've learned to buy it once so you have to put this thing together. First off, the worst manual in the world! Illustrations on one page and text explanations on the other plus, just not very well written. All that could be forgiven but careless manufacturing cannot. A few screws did not want to go in because of sloppy threading that was overcome with some lubricant and brute force. The roller assembly that handles the wood would not accept the locking rod due to some really, really sloppy threading. So for a tool I bought thinking I could put this thing together and get to work, big disappointment.

So what to do. After reading some of the comments on this board I don't know if it's worth my time to deal with Customer Support (or what they think is customer support). Might just take it to a machinist and have it properly tapped or try myself. This is not some iPod or something where you can just take it back. I've got time invested in buying it, assembling it & troubleshooting. At my hourly rate I figure they owe me about $100 by now.

Sad fact is, they don't build 'em the way they used to. Hedge funds and holding companies are buying up names like DeWalt and have little or no idea of what made them great. I have a DeWalt screw drive circular saw from 1972 and you would swear there was a Buick transmission attached to the thing that was DeWalt. I just repaired my 30 year old Porter Cable screw gun because the new ones didn't look all that good. I've bought used tools on eBay and rebuilt them for a couple of bucks and have a better tool than one I would buy new for less money. A country that makes nothing really can't expect much & I guess neither can we.

I've bought three DeWalt corded DWD110 3/8 drills and on all three, the chucks have gone out. Now I'm stuck with all three non-working drills because the chucks are as expensive as the drills themselves, and I've got no receipt for the purchases made on all three. So unless I find some cheap chucks part number 330075-46 I’ll probably end up switching to Milwaukee or something else better.

DeWALT Tools Company Profile