DeWALT Tools

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Oscillating multi tool died 2 days after Lowe's 90 day warranty expired, as if it was with a timer. It was only lightly used and died doing the same task as a Dremel tool (Dremel finished both). The product has cheap plastic parts and tends to overheat. When at Lowe's I was told the product has been discontinued (probably because they were all duds) but could have been a lie from the staff, not 100% sure. I still see them at shelves at HD and Lowe's. Dewalt's customer service is a joke and virtually nonexistent. I regret investing on DeWalt, should have gone Bosch or Hitachi.

I recently purchased a Dewalt bundle which included brush-less angle grinder, brush-less jigsaw (haven't used it yet), torch, impact driver, brushless circular saw, and non brushless drill, all 18V battery powered via 3 x batteries and charger provided. Total cost at around £700.00. I run a handyman business and the unit used mostly is obviously the drill.

What's the useless unit? Yep, its the drill. Every time I use it the chuck comes undone and the drill bit drops out! I thought it was just me at first not tightening, then when it became av regular occurrence called my local Dewalt stockist who said to use Dewalt Drill Bits, which have a different shank. Yep, you guessed it, more expense and guess what? Yep, exactly the same, they suddenly drop out. Useless piece of kit not fit for purpose. Will Dewalt do anything about it, not likely, far too busy selling more tools than looking after customers who have used their products for years. I found a solution. I got my old Dewalt drill out and recharged the one old style battery pack I have left and use that instead. How the mighty fall!!.

Tried to send a comment to DeWalt on their site, but it kept kicking it out. Didn't really want to put this in a review, since I have been a DeWalt guy for at least the past 20+ years. But your multi-tool has got to be one of the worst one I have ever purchased, the blade was dull right out of the package, and it won't hold an edge worth spit. Not to mention bulk for what it offers is far too much, the screw drivers are substandard and the scissors quality of operation is dismal. I guess it's back to Gerber, Bear, SOG, Leatherman or one of the many other ones. My faith in DeWalt has definitely been shaken for the first time!

I bought a P1000 DeWalt Fastening tool, and had to exchange the 1st one the same day a couple weeks back. Well, I thought it was probably just a bad batch or this one tool out of a good batch. The same thing on the 2nd one, and it's worse, I have had to go through about 5 cartridges just to get a nail driven in. I will not buy any DeWalt tools anymore, I'm taking this back for a full refund. I have my old 20 plus year old Remington, that needs some oiling and shake off a little rust. But DeWalt is going to have one big issue in a huge liability claim, when someone gets hurt or killed from lack of proper testing. And I've cracked half my concrete in addition to this bad experience.

DeWalt Support/WARRANTY website is a joke! I typed in my zip code for a service center, and they gave me one 25 miles away. I called first, and they said they do not accept drills. I called the toll free customer support number, typed in my zip code on the phone, guess what same service center. The next service center is in another state 60+ miles away. I live near three major cities! So I called again and spoke to a Black & Decker rep, they transferred me??? So I called again. I have a 3 yr warranty, 2 years left on it. Drill (DCF610S2) Guaranteed tough website states. Drill stopped while drilling a screw in a 2x4, and smelled electric odor. Not covered, wear and tear item, yea drilling is wear and tear duh. I will never buy another DeWalt again, poor management, will not honor warranty. Incorrect service lookup, deceptive advertising. (See website) Need a class action lawsuit lawyer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DeWALT?

Do you know of a product that works for just one week and even with a 3 year warranty certificate refuses to accept any responsibility - that is DeWalt. They are rude, arrogant and nobody should buy from them - their tm - is tough. I thought this was about their products - it isn't. It is about their attitude.

Bought a planer and stand. Stand number is DW7350. Included was about one third of the hardware to set the stand up. Retailer is happy to make it right. I only have to drive 100 miles round trip in a truck that gets 17 to the gal. and spend a half of a day's productivity; that is to say, 4 hours driving through traffic. Customer "service" doesn't answer the phone. I listened to the message about how they would be right with me 13 times by actual count. The website is worthless. I am getting ready to drive to the hardware store and fix this at my own expense. Won't be buying DeWalt again anytime soon.

I have bought this D51238K Dewalt Brad Nailer for various projects around my house. I have owned it just over a year and have had minimal usage on it. Maybe a small package of 2" brads have gone through it. Overall the product worked as advertised until one day it stopped shooting brads. It makes all the appropriate sounds, just doesn't shoot brads any more. I called up Dewalt and they said since it was over a year old there was nothing will do. I discussed my usage on the Brad Nailer and my collection of their 20v series I have inquired and they could care less. The reason I purchase Dewalt tools is because once the warranty runs out I am confident that I have a sound product that I can rely on. There is no reason that my Brad Nailer went out. At the rate it was used it should have lasted for many years.

This experience has really made me think twice about only relying on Dewalt. As you can see from my pictures I am heavily invested in their 20v series along with numerous other tools not pictured. There are many different tools that Milwaukee, Ryobi, and others make that I have steered away from until now. I have spent thousands of dollars and have created amazing projects, yet Dewalt won't stand behind their products – makes it tough for a DIY like myself. My email is ** if anyone wished to further contact me on this issue.

I bought a 1/2" drill May 16 and have tried many times to register my drill and create an account on the DeWALT website. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the site and tired of wasting my time online. It appears the site is display only and e-attempts to contact the company have failed. I would not have made the purchase on any DeWALT tool if I had known this would happen. If DeWALT cannot satisfy a customer on an initial benign contact, what will a warranty issue bring? I plan to return the tool in the 90 days allowed.

I can understand the frustration of the other reviewers. I just bought a sander yesterday at Home Depot and the first thing I did was try and get it registered for warranty purpose. I went online and it did not work. In the booklet that came with the sander it stated if there was any problems to call customer service. I did. I was on hold for 17 minutes, with a voice saying "Please wait. We will get with you", etc. After these 17 minutes a voice came on and said "We can't help you right now" and then hung up. I tried online again the next day and the whole DeWALT website is down. Never again will I buy DeWALT, but they probably don't care and are even laughing at me saying, "Sucker we got you to buy this sander."

After reading excellent reviews on the DeWalt DW788 scroll saw I purchased one at the end of December, 2015. I was initially delighted by how well it performed. Shortly after purchasing it I discovered it was NOT the one I had read the reviews on. The original DW 788 was developed for DeWalt by the manufacturer of the top of the line Excaliber Scroll saw. This was the "type 1" DW 788. It was a great success and got rave reviews.

To keep the target $500 price in the big box stores, DeWalt moved the manufacturing to Asia and used less expensive components. It still looked identical to the original model and was still called DW 788. No mention was made in any advertising or user manual about the change to "type 2". I only learned of this through a woodworking blog. Some new owners of "type 2" were starting to have bearing failures and high vibration. The only indication on my saw was tiny print that said "type 2" on the label on the motor. Obviously they were not planning to let the consumer know of the change. Despite this I was pleased with the saw and was optimistic that I had a good one. After about 2 weeks the saw developed a knock that got progressively worse over the next few days. It was obvious something had come loose inside the saw.

Since it was under full warranty for a full year I took it to a authorized factory repair shop, Contractor Nail and Tool in North Charleston, SC which is an hour drive from my house. They said it would take about a week to repair it. A week later I called to get a status update and was told by the repair technician that he was very busy and decided send it to the DeWalt factory repair center in Greenville, SC. He said they would be able to get right on it. 7 days later I called again and the same technician said it had only been picked up the day before. 7 days later I called again, spoke to the same technician. It was not back yet, but he promised to call DeWalt to get a status update. He called back and said it was delayed because they had to order parts.

Finally after almost 5 weeks it was back. I drove over, picked it up and remounted it back on the stand. When I tried to mount a blade it would not clamp properly. Whoever repaired it at DeWalt in Greenville, SC had left the set screws out of the blade holders! The thumb screws were in, but will not clamp without the matching set screws on the other side. Obviously the saw had not even been tested after repair. The people at Contractor Nail and Tool were very sympathetic and agreed to have the set screws overnighted to me. They actually arrived 2 days later, but finally I was ready to use the saw again! The saw had considerable more vibration than when new, but much worse was that it was impossible to make a tight turn in a cut. The blade would keep on cutting forward. When I checked the blade alignment I found the top of the blade was angled forward about 4. This made the saw useless for detail sawing.

At this point I was disgusted and decided to take advantage of DeWalt's 90 day satisfaction guarantee refund. I was told by DeWalt customer service I had to either ship or take the saw to the DeWalt Service Center in Charlotte, NC. I decided to drive the 4 hours rather than having to repackage the heavy saw and ship it. The person in the service center verified it was not damaged, and after making a copy of my proof of purchase gave me a receipt for the saw. He said I should receive a check from Stanley/Black & Decker in about 6 weeks.

After 6 weeks I called the toll free number on the receipt to verify that the check was not lost. After finally getting through to a real person, I learned that he could see no record of the return in the system. He said he would open a case for me and someone would get back to me. No one did, so I called back a few days later, and finally got through to another person. This time he found the case opened by the other person and apologized that nobody got back to me. This time I scanned the receipt from DeWalt service center and sent it to him to attach to the case.

Today it is a week later. Still nobody has contacted me and no check. It is now 8 weeks since the saw was returned. I called again today with same results. The person who finally took my call can give me no information about when I will get my refund other than to say it is on file and somebody will call me when my case gets to the top of the list.

I purchased a DeWalt 1/2" drill yesterday and tried to register it through the DeWalt site as the 3year warranty is invalid unless registered. The site doesn't work. Can't contact the company through email or chat, no option to register through mail, no option to register over the phone. Called and talked with a service person for some other option and was told the site was down and apologized for it but gave no indication when or if the site will be available again. Hope I don't lose my purchase documentation as will have no warranty. If DeWalt doesn't care about this area (registration), this will be the last product I will purchase from them, especially after reading previous reviews.

Talked to trade show reps about the radio tuner being bad and he was going to follow. Still no word, reviews of bad tuners are abundant. Have two units, both bad, other friends have them and are bad too. So what next?

I bought a 4.5 DeWalt grinder model D28402 in 2008 and used it on 1 project, less than 1 hour of run time. I needed to use it recently (Jan. 2016) and it failed electrically. I removed the access panel and checked for continuity in the power cord and the connections at the motor and they are both fine. I tried to contact DeWalt through their website "contact us" link but it wouldn't work either. I was able to message them through Facebook and they gave me a site to contact and told me to include my contact info and pictures of the grinder. I did contact them with an explanation and pictures that clearly demonstrate the minimal use, and they pointed out the obvious expired warranty and gave me links and phone numbers to order replacement parts or a possible trade deal. I'm sure DeWalt tools will survive without my business.

What's up with DeWalt? I can't register my tool online. What a joke if I have known that I would have got something else. A big company like that and you have to register online. And you can't by phone. I tried several times to go online and register and won't let me. I'm not the only one.

I have had a 18v cordless drill for about a year now from new and after a month the shaft has bent. I ignored it as it wasn't too bad and I thought maybe that's normal for these new drills. I then bought a 18v sds xr 235 bare tool and again after a month's use the shaft bent. Only this time it was a lot worst. I try to drill a 5.5 mm. hole and it makes a 10 mm. hole. So I contacted Marshall and Parsons which are the people in the UK that fix your DeWALT under warranty. I sent the sds drill to them and they said they fixed it.

Got it back and it's exactly the same as when I sent it. I asked them about the shaft being bent and they came back with "This is normal for DeWALT drills" and refused to fix it. I've had DeWALT drills and various other tools reciprocator, skill saw, jig saw, radio. But the new lithium brand of DeWALT does not seem very strong. The customer service are unwilling to help so I think I'm going to sell my DeWALT tools and move to another brand. Very disappointed.

I just purchased A palm sander and I'm curious why DeWalt sends a bag to put an individual sander in that won't fit. Have multiple sets of other tools with bags that work well but then they send a useless one with a sander? Seems like a waste of money to me.

I have 2 routers, a table saw, planer, 15-in miter saw, 2 corded drills, 3 cordless drills plus various odds & ends - all deWALT. They are used everyday extensively in my workshop. The hand tools have been dropped from ladders, benches, not once did they fail to startup or misbehave. The miter stand did have a small issue, a spot weld prevented the bolt from threading a few pushes from a rat tail file open the orifice. Thank you deWALT for your excellent products.

18v DC970 drill/driver - Bought one in 2012. Chuck shafts broke inside drill. Another 2014 last June, smoked the motor two weeks ago. I'm not all that upset about the drills, as much as the poor quality of the newer style of the old batteries. They just aren't lasting like they should. I'm a 36 year electrician, all I have in my truck is DeWALT (saws, drills, impacts). If something doesn't change, I'll retool with another company brand. Feeling let down in Indy!!!

I purchased a compact 20V drill/driver on 12/5/2014. I have tried for 3 days to get into Dewalt website to register it since. If I can't get to their website within 7 days, I am taking it back for a refund. I have been burned on warranty repairs and replacements before and don't intend to get burned again.

I called for a quote and was given a quote. When I got to the store a 40 minute drive later, they gave me another price triple what the original price was. This was for a max repair so nothing should have been different. For what they wanted you could almost buy a new one.

I purchased NEW the DeWalt Framing Nailer and the first time I used the nailer - the fourth nail triggered - the gun blew. Air began leaking and could no longer use. It was new and not used. I am told it will cost $75.00 to repair. DO NOT BUY.

DeWalt Chop Saw Stand DWX726 - Bought this stand at HD because it looked even more substantial than the Ridgid model next to it. It cost $50 more but I use my tools for work so I've learned to buy it once so you have to put this thing together. First off, the worst manual in the world! Illustrations on one page and text explanations on the other plus, just not very well written. All that could be forgiven but careless manufacturing cannot. A few screws did not want to go in because of sloppy threading that was overcome with some lubricant and brute force. The roller assembly that handles the wood would not accept the locking rod due to some really, really sloppy threading. So for a tool I bought thinking I could put this thing together and get to work, big disappointment.

So what to do. After reading some of the comments on this board I don't know if it's worth my time to deal with Customer Support (or what they think is customer support). Might just take it to a machinist and have it properly tapped or try myself. This is not some iPod or something where you can just take it back. I've got time invested in buying it, assembling it & troubleshooting. At my hourly rate I figure they owe me about $100 by now.

Sad fact is, they don't build 'em the way they used to. Hedge funds and holding companies are buying up names like DeWalt and have little or no idea of what made them great. I have a DeWalt screw drive circular saw from 1972 and you would swear there was a Buick transmission attached to the thing that was DeWalt. I just repaired my 30 year old Porter Cable screw gun because the new ones didn't look all that good. I've bought used tools on eBay and rebuilt them for a couple of bucks and have a better tool than one I would buy new for less money. A country that makes nothing really can't expect much & I guess neither can we.

I've bought three DeWalt corded DWD110 3/8 drills and on all three, the chucks have gone out. Now I'm stuck with all three non-working drills because the chucks are as expensive as the drills themselves, and I've got no receipt for the purchases made on all three. So unless I find some cheap chucks part number 330075-46 I’ll probably end up switching to Milwaukee or something else better.

Bought a new DCF895 Impact driver. I used it twice for minor jobs and then it stopped working. I handed it in to a DeWalt Service Agent and a month later I still don't have my tool back. Apparently they are waiting on parts... I can order parts on the web and it will take 5 days to get to me regardless of where in the world I order the parts from. So how can it take DeWalt and their service agents a month to try and get the parts and repair the tool? From what I could find out the Service Agent (C&L Tool Center) took two weeks before they even touched the tool. Then it took another week to place an order for the parts. Then it took DeWalt 10 days from receiving the order until they dispatched the parts.

Now let's say you buy a high quality car, say a new Ferrari. It breaks down in the first few weeks. Will you be happy with not having the car back for a month? Fat chance. So why is DeWalt happy with this sort of shabby service? Supposed to be premium tools... What point is a warranty if between DeWalt and their Service Agents they can't fix the tool in a reasonable time - say a week? I'm a builder and my tools are my business, not having the new impact driver is really a problem. So much so that I'll have to go to my local hardware store and buy another driver.

I bought DeWalt thinking I'm buying a quality tool. What I got is complete load of rubbish. DeWalt has got no customer service center you can call to try and sort it out. After a lot of searching I finally managed to get hold of the local rep. And in short he said there is not much he can do. He can't refund me or give me a replacement tool. I'm in the hands of the Service Agents who just do not care to provide me or therefore DeWalt with service. But all blame is not just with the Service Agent, DeWalt took 10 days to dispatch the parts!!

If you do want to buy quality product then buy the Milwaukee M18 Fuel - reviews are much better than that of DeWalt (I bought DeWalt since I already had DeWalt tools). Or go to your local hardware store and by the cheap Chinese make. They also give you a year warranty. Sure there is a chance of it breaking but they usually just replace the tool rather than bother to fix it. In the event of the tool breaking you lose a few hours rather than weeks and in my case months. DeWalt lost me for sure.

Purchased the drill 9/8/2012 and then in October 2013, less than a year after purchase, the transmission went bad. Not under warranty. Part was back ordered and finally received it over a month after ordering. Part came in plain cardboard box with no place of manufacture, no manufacturer name and absolutely no instructions on how to replace part. After doing a considerable amount of research I finally got some installation instructions. I am very displeased with the product and will probably never get another DeWalt product.

I bought a Dewalt DW618 router with the case and three bases. It looked like a great router, but it started making sounds like parts were flying around inside the router (magnetic ring defect in design IMHO). Black smoke then came out the air vents and then there’s a flame and it sounded like it exploded. It was cutting a pine board. The router was babied and treated lightly and I had only used it 45 minutes total. Dewalt’s service center said it’ll be two weeks till they could get to working on it. They need an authorized receipt of purchase or $129.00 to fix it. Guaranteed tough - yes, if you are willing to keep buying new ones.

Dewalt’s manager wanted to know if it was used in a router table. He suggested 45 minutes of use sounded a bit extreme. Yes, really tough. Also, they are time stamped with a code of manufacture date; mine was 2006 and they said it was expired? I check the freshness date before buying. There’s nothing but road blocks to getting service. Do not buy one. I’m disappointed in Dewalt. P.S.: don't buy a Dewalt router! They do not live up to their motto.

We purchased DC011 Radio 2010. It worked all right for the first 10 months then it kept losing station. Then, it would not turn on or off (just comes on when you put battery in). Now, it won't receive stations. I took it to DeWALT center. They said it's £65 plus VAT to fix. We have other DeWALT tools such drills, chop saw, etc. These have been excellent. This is our second radio. The first one was stolen.

I bought a pair of DeWALT boots 84336 Rafter steel-toed work boots. They did not even last six months. The shoe came apart from the sole. The sole of the shoe almost looks brand new but the stitching that holds it together is not strong enough. Their boots state they are made tough. Not lasting 6 months is not tough. Wal-Mart boots last longer. I called the company and they said 90 days is all they have for guarantee. So I am just out of luck with these so-called tough boots. I will never buy this brand of shoes again.

I purchased a Dewalt 36v combo kit for about $900.00. A year later, the drill broke down. I then brought it in for repair and they fixed it as it was under warranty. A few months later, the same problem occurred, and had it repaired again. Three months later, it happened again. This time I had a new one delivered to me. The new one came with a new charger, two batteries, and a case. I continued to use my drill and about 16 months later, it broke down again. I gave up. I continued to use the flash light, skill saw. The reciprocating saw fell apart after several repairs, I gave up on it as well. Now, my new batteries used about 8 times fails to charge. Did I mention it was dated 2006, the same year as the first set? Now I'm stuck with four batteries that don't work, and a $149 service fee for the drill.

DeWALT Tools Company Profile