Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
DeWALT Tools
1.57/5

DeWALT Tools

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

71 DeWALT Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased a DeWalt Modle DC011 Type 2 Worksite Radio-charger a few years ago. I have used very little and the tuning control has gone bad. DeWalt no longer has parts available for the radio, so it is now junk. This will be the last DeWalt product I will buy. It is obvious that their only concern is force people to replace products rather than allow them to be repaired.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I have been buying DeWALT for some time. Now I have had issues with quality control of about 60% of the 20v tools that required me to exchange a lot of tools until I found ones without issues! If it wasn't for their exchange policy I would have moved on to another brand not made by Black & Decker (yes B&D is DeWALT Porter Cable and quite a few others) but this is not the reason for my review. My main complaint about DeWALT now is the Online Toolbox that's supposed to be there if your tools are stolen! I had all my tools registered and listed on my DeWALT account when my house was broken into. I told my insurance company that all the DeWALT tools were listed in my DeWALT account but when I logged in my toolbox was empty????

I called and emailed several times. DeWALT said a update did something and they would fix it but after several weeks of contact nothing!!!! They keep saying they will have someone contact me but nobody ever calls me? DeWALT has gone to the dogs. You can't trust the quality or Customer service anymore but still they charge a premium price. This cost is supposed to set them apart from the other companies but it's not the case anymore! You’re better off buying from Harbor Freight now and save yourself a ton of money and aggravation! I'm sure this issue will eventually hurt them where it counts. Their profits dies and contractors will eventually get tired of DeWALT and move to another brand! Maybe they have a new greedy CEO? But whatever it is it's not good to treat your customers this way!

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

A common part on DeWALT nail guns seal 390140-00 is discontinued. I have a DeWALT D51845 framing nail gun. A Teflon seal is broken and the part is discontinued. This part is known to break and now you have to purchase another gun. I decided to not purchase DeWALT tools because of this reason. This is not the way to increase sales. What other reason would they stop producing this seal. A lot of other parts they still carry, but not this common part that cracks. The part is the seal that is located on the top of the piston.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Received a DW734 benchtop planer as a gift about 2 years ago. It has been used only 6 or 8 times and the motor failed. It took a full day to find out that repair would cost me at least 65% of original price with no help from warranty. This tool was seldom used and never abused. Worked reasonably well but had a very short life.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My husband owned his tool belt for 9 months before it was completely falling apart and unable to be used anymore. Apparently DeWALT only covers things that fall apart without being used. If they are used then they tell you that it is your fault it fell apart. Stay away from DeWALT Tool belts! They are garbage and the warranty is a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DeWALT?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Dewalt 40 Volt mower purchased on August 31st, 2018. On November 13th, 2018 motor started smoking and mower quit running. On November 14th, 2018 I contacted Dewalt Customer Service to see how to get the unit repaired. Customer service said I would need to take the unit to a Dewalt Service Center to be repaired. At that time, I told the customer service rep that I would return the item to the Lowe's store where the mower was purchased since Dewalt has a 90 day return policy. She informed me that in order to take advantage of the 90 day return policy I would have to ship the item back to Dewalt. At that point, I reluctantly agreed to take the mower to the Orlando repair facility for repairs.

On November 15th, 2018 I made the almost 2 hour drive to the Orlando repair facility to get the mower repaired. On December 6th, 2018, after not hearing from the Dewalt repair facility, I called them to check the status of the mower repair. I was told at that time, the parts to repair the mower are not available at this time. Shortly after getting off the phone with the Dewalt repair facility, they called me back and said they made a mistake telling me that it wasn't ready, and it was in fact ready to pick up.

On December 7th, 2018 I drove to Orlando to pick up the repaired mower. The same day I got the mower back from the repair facility, I started to mow the yard and the mower would only run approximately 1 second then turn off. It did this 4 or 5 times, then it worked normally. Until December 28th, 2018 that is. On the 28th the mower wouldn't run. A call to Dewalt Customer Service and I am told to take the mower back to Orlando to the repair facility. I inform them that this is unacceptable and am given a complaint case number. One day later I don't know how this will be resolved, but I would caution anyone against purchasing Dewalt tools of any kind unless you don't care about a warranty. This is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with for a warranty claim. In the past I have been able to get both warranty and non warranty repairs done locally in the Daytona Beach, FL area on tools.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Purchased 2 DeWALT drills one electrical the other battery. The total cost €1300. The chucks on both of them for drilling steel are useless. The drill bits keep slipping in them. When you need these drills most they let you down. Should have stuck with Hilti.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Bought a Dewalt 18v Set 6 years ago and have used it for DIY projects around the house. Last year the batteries started to lose their charge and not lasting long. So I went to Home Depot and bought a brand new twin pack. Two months ago they started losing their charge in a very short time and now will only last 5 minutes before dying altogether. Called Dewalt customer support center and the agent was very friendly and sent me out a shipping label so I could ship the batteries to the service center in Kansas City for replacement. Great service just need to make batteries better like in the US and not overseas.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Two impacts, blower, saw, vacuum. Bought the high capacity batteries (4 &5 AH) for all the tools. Less than a year old, and NONE of the batteries will charge with

any of the four chargers I have. WHAT GOOD ARE HIGHER QUALITY TOOLS IF THE BATTERIES ARE CRAP??? Might as well buy the Harbor Freight crap and throw away the tool with the battery.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I started with Makita then moved to Milwaukee and for the past 5 years I’ve been with DeWALT! Like with every brand, some will have issues. But some have amazing experience. For me I can say I'm beyond amazed with DeWALT. I have new and old batteries by now, and for the past 5 years not one failed. In fact I still heavily use my original 3.0 20v max batteries throughout these 5 years. I have over 18 batteries ranges from 2.0 ah-6ah flex volt. MY BIGGEST THING IS THOUGH, DEWALT IS AMERICAN OWNED. Milwaukee is owned by a Chinese company. And Makita is a “Japanese” but it’s all made in China. So AS AN AMERICAN, LETS SUPPORT AMERICAN! Thank you.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I purchased a Dewalt DW715 12 inch compound miter saw at Lowe's in Somerset, PA in December. I read a review on the Lowe's website that stated that there were cracks in the casting of the saw which included a picture of the affected area. Upon inspection of my saw I noticed the cracks in the same exact spot in the casting near the motor. It seems to me this may be a common defect in this model. I contacted DeWALT customer service and the closest service center is in Pittsburgh, PA over 78 miles away. I sent the saw to the service center but now I have no idea when I'll get the saw back. I am a contractor and use this saw daily right now or I should say used to use this saw daily. Beware of this issue in this model.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Purchased DeWALT nailer from Screwfix which caught fire after firing 400 nails. Store returned it to manufacturers saying they will repair it leaving me without a nailer in middle of large contract. Really not happy.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I purchased this 20V Portable Band Saw at Home Depot on December 26, 2017. The blade snapped within the first 5 minutes of use. There are no extra blades sold with the saw. Dewalt does not include a part number for the replacement blade in the manual or on the packaging, under specifications on the outside of the box there is a blade length of 32 7/8". I had to go to the Dewalt website to find the part number so I could begin looking for the blades. Home Depot sells the saw but does not sell the DW3984C replacement blades.

Lowe's sells the same saw but does not sell replacement blades. Toolmart does not sell the replacement blades. The DW3984C does not appear to be interchangeable with any other brand (Milwaukee, Porter Cable, or Makita) due to the 32 7/8" length which makes it unique. The "local" Dewalt factory store is 30 miles away and according to their website not open on the weekends.

I do not understand how Dewalt can design, manufacture, and sell a saw that takes a special blade and fail to make sure that the retailer stocks replacement blades. It appears that replacement blades are available by special order only from Home Depot and I pay the shipping or else I have to order them online from Dewalt. I am returning the saw as it offers no value to our collection of tools.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I purchased a DeWalt dcs355d2 multi tool in August. By November the tool started acting up by not powering on when the trigger was compressed. Contacted DeWalt and found that they do not have a warranty center near me and that they could send me a UPS shipping slip and it would take about a month turnaround on my repair. I called corporate office and they are sending me a replacement unit in 5 to 7 days. I will update.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Purchased a brand new DeWALT compressor at Lowe's last year at my vacation home. Just opened box and used it for the first time. Second day turning it on while using it cord blew fuse. Took it back to Lowe's and figured out the copper line coming off motor melted cord and blew fuse. Very poor design. Nothing blocking hot copper line from electrical cord. Not very safe. Anyway contacted DeWALT. Said had to take receipt to local authorized repair shop. Really??? I have 3 to 5000 Lowe's receipts. How am I supposed to find it. It has a serial number. They know how old it is. Just a lame way out of taking care of it. All they have to do is send me a cord not make a mountain out of a mole hill. I'll make my own new cord and never buy DeWALT again. Hope it was worth a cheap little cord.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Battery went dead after 3 months on a DeWALT 40V Chainsaw. Called and live chatted with Customer Service and they are sending a replacement out immediately. Whole process took less than 2 minutes to chat. Excellent service - I have now purchased a second chainsaw (60V). This company is outstanding when it comes to customer service!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I will be as civil as possible, as DeWALT is? usually? A robust manufacturer. The palm sander has a rubber coated on/off toggle switch. This sander, at the worst time, can either (1) NOT be pushed/toggled into the off position. It will keep snapping onto the on position, and (2) As I just experienced in a very nasty way, can be pushed/toggled into the OFF position and after stepping away it can? snap? back into the "ON" position and this time was on top of a Pergo floor. This caused minor damage, but it is an ongoing problem with the sander. I tossed it. Very annoying and very UN-DEWALT like.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've bought all of my power tools from Dewalt so far, and now that a few of their products are acting up, I get no help from Dewalt regarding any issues. First I had my 20V Hammer drill burn out 2 years ago after 3 years of ownership (only a month past warranty), they did nothing. Instead they recommended a brushless product being the XR hammer drill. After 2 years of owning this drill, it still working but now the batteries will not hold a charge past the 1st LED bar. Dewalt says no warranty coverage on batteries past 1 year and to buy a new one.

WHAT A JOKE. They do not stand behind their products AT AL. They pass you around from the main customer service line to localized service centres which are even less helpful. Do yourself a favor and buy a MILWAUKEE, MAKITA, or BOSCH, because even if Dewalt is made in the USA, they have ZERO USA PRIDE, and even less love for their customers. They may as well be made in CHINA, because their products obviously do not follow a quality standard compared to their MILWAUKEE, MAKITA, BOSCH competitors. So I'm switching and I hope I've helped some people make a better decision than I did.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I just went to the Kearny Mesa store in San Diego. They have all the goodies I want, nice floor display, well organized, very inviting! Until you talk to the tall, swarthy woman with the afro. Rude, impatient, condescending, interrupting, tersely speaking are the best descriptions I can use to describe this bully. I don't know this is a business that doesn't sell to just anybody off the street, and this brute of a saleswoman can't dredge up the common courtesy to say the simple and polite words "We only sell to business customers." She actually says "It's a hard subject to talk about to a person off the street." It's a hard subject to talk about only if a person is predisposed to being a difficult, socially unskilled brute.

Then there's the rolled eyes, the fist on the hip, the raising of her voice, the shaking of her head. It was like watching the Jerry Springer show with a hostile, uncooperative cast member. Later I make the phone call to the office manager, I get an uninterested, uncaring response. "Well what do you want me to do about it" is the best satisfaction I ever got. I'm so fricken pissed at being treated like ** by these recalcitrant ogres. I'm a 60 year old welding shop owner, not some punk kid trying to make trouble. This experience has trained me well, 1.)First impressions are accurate. 2.) Shop somewhere else. Damn!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I was missing a part for my new DeWALT cordless weed trimmer. I called customer service and had to wait more than 20 minutes for the lady to find the part. She said she would have it mailed out. I have waited more than 2 weeks and still have not received the part.

Original review: April 30, 2017

The worse from who I expected to be the best, the cobalt drill bits snap so easy. I was left in disbelief, so I purchased another set, and time after time they continued to crack and shatter at low speed with a cordless drill. I was drilling stainless steel and high carbon steel, at first I thought it was me, but time after time they would snap at the least resistance! Very poor quality!!! Advertised best for stainless steel with 4X longer life. DeWALT cobalt drill bit are poor quality.

Original review: March 25, 2017

On Sept 10, 2016 I was working with a DeWALT grinding disc, it had only been used 2 very short times, when I went to use it the third time I squeezed the trigger and NEVER even touched the disc to anything but the disc blew apart. I ended up having a gash on the side of my face and had to go to the hospital. The Emergency Room doctor cauterized my gash to get it to stop bleeding. I ended up with 3 internal stitches and 9 external stitches. It took 2 months to heal.

Upon contacting DEWALT and have many calls back and forth, the company has taken the stand that the DEWALT cut off wheel is made by another company and they have no responsibility. After months of talking to them my wife had abrupt conversation with Ross ** and was told that "it was your husband's fault and that their findings were there was no defect". They have forwarded the information to the company that "makes the disc" and that company never got back to Ross **.

DEWALT feels the case is closed. Why can't they take responsibility? I have been working on cars since I was 12 yrs old (I am now 50) and graduated from a Automotive program, so I am not new to the auto repair situation. How can a product shatter into 3 pieces and it is not defective or their responsibility? They claim since I got angry and threw the grinder out, they are blaming it on that and anything else but the disc. They claim that a disc blowing apart is not a defect but "operators error". This sounds to me like big corporate America screws the little guy again. The least they could have offered was to pay the hospital copay or stitches being removed.

Thanks to DEWALT I have an embarrassing lifetime scar on my face. A few more inches one way and I would have lost an eye but, a few more inches the other way and I could have hit a major vein in my throat and died, AND IT IS NOT THEIR RESPONSIBILITY? Must be nice to rake in money on a product and not back it. The disc said DEWALT not this other company they are trying to pass the buck to.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

The drill bit chucks on DeWalt drills are a complete worthless piece of crap. They will not keep the bits from slipping and loosen up to the point that the bit falls out. Anyone looking to buy either an electric or a cordless drill best find another brand.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I did massive research before buying 3 piece combo tool kit of DCF 887 impact driver, drill and flashlight. The driver works great in position 2 & 3 but not in drive position 1 which I need for driving screws into drywall, etc. As another reviewer mentioned their website is very user-unfriendly and doesn't allow you to leave a review there or register your products. Trying to exchange the kit so if things improve I'll leave another review but right now I'm not impressed with this brand name that I thought was king of the drills.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

I want to get the review of DeWalts portable radio out there so no one else has a terrible letdown. This product has notable static for reception even local am\fm stations [forget about others]. Obvious weak antenna. Electrical audible surging caused by charging a battery while using radio. Poor sound quality from speakers, distortion occurs if volume turned up past 1/2 way of control dial. If you want to listen to the added bass feature speakers cannot be volume increased above 1\4 way before complete speaker distortion. Note that this is supposed to be a worksite radio. The rubber auxiliary port cover does not stay in the port to protect dirt from entering. The pre set programing coin battery that comes with the radio was dead. When purchased it should have had a plastic pull tab to keep from draining prior to purchase.

Note that this is not an internal bluetooth device. You must spend another 40$ for adaptor which would not make this unit very portable on a job site. The plugin a\c cord does not detach from unit while using on battery power. Instead must be wrapped up around cord handling provisions on bottom of radio. Not a complete disappointment but the portability option without dragging the cord would have been better. Found it cheap that the added a\c ports x3 on the side of the radio is rated at 10/a max. Not much good for construction tools unless you prefer to melt the connections. For the retail price of $230 cad DEWALT should be ashamed to put their name to this product.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Oscillating multi tool died 2 days after Lowe's 90 day warranty expired, as if it was with a timer. It was only lightly used and died doing the same task as a Dremel tool (Dremel finished both). The product has cheap plastic parts and tends to overheat. When at Lowe's I was told the product has been discontinued (probably because they were all duds) but could have been a lie from the staff, not 100% sure. I still see them at shelves at HD and Lowe's. Dewalt's customer service is a joke and virtually nonexistent. I regret investing on DeWalt, should have gone Bosch or Hitachi.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I recently purchased a Dewalt bundle which included brush-less angle grinder, brush-less jigsaw (haven't used it yet), torch, impact driver, brushless circular saw, and non brushless drill, all 18V battery powered via 3 x batteries and charger provided. Total cost at around £700.00. I run a handyman business and the unit used mostly is obviously the drill.

What's the useless unit? Yep, its the drill. Every time I use it the chuck comes undone and the drill bit drops out! I thought it was just me at first not tightening, then when it became av regular occurrence called my local Dewalt stockist who said to use Dewalt Drill Bits, which have a different shank. Yep, you guessed it, more expense and guess what? Yep, exactly the same, they suddenly drop out. Useless piece of kit not fit for purpose. Will Dewalt do anything about it, not likely, far too busy selling more tools than looking after customers who have used their products for years. I found a solution. I got my old Dewalt drill out and recharged the one old style battery pack I have left and use that instead. How the mighty fall!!.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

Tried to send a comment to DeWalt on their site, but it kept kicking it out. Didn't really want to put this in a review, since I have been a DeWalt guy for at least the past 20+ years. But your multi-tool has got to be one of the worst one I have ever purchased, the blade was dull right out of the package, and it won't hold an edge worth spit. Not to mention bulk for what it offers is far too much, the screw drivers are substandard and the scissors quality of operation is dismal. I guess it's back to Gerber, Bear, SOG, Leatherman or one of the many other ones. My faith in DeWalt has definitely been shaken for the first time!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I bought a P1000 DeWalt Fastening tool, and had to exchange the 1st one the same day a couple weeks back. Well, I thought it was probably just a bad batch or this one tool out of a good batch. The same thing on the 2nd one, and it's worse, I have had to go through about 5 cartridges just to get a nail driven in. I will not buy any DeWalt tools anymore, I'm taking this back for a full refund. I have my old 20 plus year old Remington, that needs some oiling and shake off a little rust. But DeWalt is going to have one big issue in a huge liability claim, when someone gets hurt or killed from lack of proper testing. And I've cracked half my concrete in addition to this bad experience.

Original review: July 19, 2016

DeWalt Support/WARRANTY website is a joke! I typed in my zip code for a service center, and they gave me one 25 miles away. I called first, and they said they do not accept drills. I called the toll free customer support number, typed in my zip code on the phone, guess what same service center. The next service center is in another state 60+ miles away. I live near three major cities! So I called again and spoke to a Black & Decker rep, they transferred me??? So I called again. I have a 3 yr warranty, 2 years left on it. Drill (DCF610S2) Guaranteed tough website states. Drill stopped while drilling a screw in a 2x4, and smelled electric odor. Not covered, wear and tear item, yea drilling is wear and tear duh. I will never buy another DeWalt again, poor management, will not honor warranty. Incorrect service lookup, deceptive advertising. (See website) Need a class action lawsuit lawyer.

DeWALT Tools Company Information