Danby Wine Coolers
3.65/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Danby Wine Coolers

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Danby Wine Coolers Reviews

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased this product on the advice of a local appliance dealership in the spring of 2016. This unit ceased cooling in April of 2019 (manufactured in 2015). After a week of back and forth emails with Danby Canada I was informed that since the unit was out of warranty they could not effect repairs and provided contact information of a local service company. In a brief conversation with the service Tech he informed me that this unit was not worth repairing and I should purchase a new fridge. He also told me that this is a common fault with this particular product. A life span of less than 4 years is TOTALLY unacceptable. Had the appliance store I purchased this unit from told me the truth about these pieces of GARBAGE I would have spent more time searching other products before purchasing this unit.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I bought a double door silhouette unit in 2010 that lasted only 4 years. I'm looking to buy a cooler for my investment condo and as I was shopping, I noticed them again and realized that I never left a review. In my opinion and experience, Danby Wine Coolers are nothing but garbage. Low quality. Waste of your money. Smart thing to do is to stay away from them.

Get expert buying tips about Wine Refrigerators and Coolers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 21, 2018

Wine Cooler DWC053D1BSSPR - Purchased unit just short of 2 years ago. Has 2 year warranty. Stopped working a few months prior to warranty expiring. After contacting customer service and uploading photos of the model # sticker on back and cutting the cord, they sent me a new unit within a few days. Customer service was responsive but am curious to see how long this one will last. They will not let me purchase an extended warranty and the warranty on the replacement is only 1 year as opposed to 2 for the original unit. Hmmmm.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Danby Silhouette wine cooler - Without a doubt the worst product I have ever owned. Started failing after 2 months. The only thing more disturbing is their inept and disinterested Consumer Service group! Have your head examined before considering a Danby product.

Original review: May 9, 2017

Danby wine fridge destroyed $800 worth of wine. The fridge froze the wine down to 20 degrees, popping out the corks. Danby admitted this is a regular occurrence with their wine fridges and offered to sell me a replacement part. The thing is, this fridge cost $700, which is a lot, but not a ton. The repair would cost $300. The fact is I should have purchased a Eurocave. Yes, they cost a lot, but when you have good wine, why go with a cheap brand like Danby.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Danby?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I purchased a 38 capacity wine bottle cooler that stopped cooling suddenly. I hired a licensed plumber to look at it and he confirmed what I suspected and what many others have reported -- the Danby product is GARBAGE. It's a poor and probably defective product! Customer Service is useless and once the unit shuts down, the innocent consumer is SOL! Let the buyer beware! DBD -- Don't Buy Danby!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

Me and my wife received this as a wedding gift... Still have the receipt and after 15 months the fridge no longer works. They have horrible customer service. Once reached the only solution was to buy a new fridge and they would offer a 10% discount. Are you kidding me?? It was a $420 wine cooler. The wine that I have in there is worth more than the fridge itself!! I would never buy another product from Danby. I wouldn't be as disappointed if it was a "cheaper" model or make, but thinking that it wasn't priced higher, you would think it would last for a few years... Clearly not the case here! Buyers stay away from Danby products!!!

Original review: March 10, 2016

I purchased a small freezer from Best Buy made by Danby. The first unit arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in two places. I took photos and reported the damage to Best Buy. They shipped a second unit which arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in four places. When I contacted Best Buy they dragged their feet with regard to having the unit replaced with an undamaged unit.

I contacted Danby directly who has done NOTHING to make the situation right or offer to replace the unit given the lack of customer service from Best Buy. Very poor quality control at Danby boxing and shipping two damaged units. Very poor customer service at Best Buy given it's been two weeks and I finally sent both units back and have requested a refund from the bank. I will not be a customer of Best Buy going forward and I would never order another Danby product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

Purchased the 146 bottle unit from Costco. Less than 2 years later it stopped cooling and a "plastic" or chemical smell was noticeable when opening the unit. After reading the reviews here I didn't bother calling Danby and just junked it. BTW, my only experience with their customer service was a call I made to their "tech" department to tell them I was having trouble adjusting the temperature. Their only response was to get a new unit and hung up on me. I read reviews on a lot of other units but feared I would be buying or repairing units every few years. I bit the bullet and replaced it with a 147 bottle Sub-Zero bought from a local Kitchen & Bath appliance store. When I asked the sales person about Danby products he looked perplexed then said his store doesn't carry them. When I pressed him further he hesitated (obviously not wanting to disparage another company), but gave me the impression that Danby was the bottom of the barrel. How right he is.

Given all the negative reviews on this site, and my own experience, I think this company should be investigated. Anyone who knows Sub-Zero knows it to be the best, and while their unit is almost 5 times what I paid for the Danby, or other units of similar size in the marketplace, I know it will last. It came with a 10 yr warranty! If you're storing wine anywhere near $80 a bottle average, you've made the unit worth while. I will never buy another Danby product again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

I purchased a Danby ice chest in October of 2015. In December of 2015 I noticed I had a horrible smell coming from the unit. I opened the unit to find out that it was no longer working. All the status lights on the outside all indicated the unit was functioning as it should be. I reported to the company I purchased the unit from (www.appliancesconnection.com) and they said I would have to contact Danby directly with the issue. I proceeded to do so and had a tech from one of their prescribed repair companies come and look at the unit. Upon inspection he told me the unit would have to be completely replaced because the cost to repair it outweighed the cost of replacement. I notified Danby and they never refunded me my money or supplied me with a new unit to this day (February 6, 2016). Their customer service is horrible and they certainty don't stand by their products.

Danby expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Danby has been providing cooling solutions for homeowners for over 65 years. Their wine coolers allow homeowners to keep between 17 and 50 beverages chilled without taking up valuable space in their refrigerators.

• Warranty: All of Danby’s products come with standard 12, 18 and 24 month warranties that include labor, parts and servicing. Canadian consumers are eligible to apply for an extended warranty, which can protect your wine cooler for up to four years after your initial warranty expires.

• Built-in options: Homeowners seeking a customized experience will enjoy a built-in wine cooler option, which is available from Silhouette, one of Danby’s brands. Locate your local Silhouette retailer from their website to get started.

• Ideal for smaller spaces: Danby’s wine coolers are made for small spaces. They can fit between 17 and 50 wine bottles, and they are free standing, which means you can move yours around to suit your storage and space-saving needs.

• Online manuals: There’s no reason to panic about losing the manual that came with your new Danby appliance. Find the manual for your Danby product on their website.

• Remanufactured Certified products: Danby products that have been returned go through Danby’s remanufacturing process. The products are inspected, tested, repackaged and sold to consumers at a reduced cost. Danby’s remanufactured certified products are high quality products that cost less than the original products, making them a good option for budget-conscious consumers.

• Best for: Danby wine coolers are best for small home dwellers.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
      Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Danby Wine Coolers Company Information