Danby Wine Coolers

Danby Wine Coolers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Danby Wine Coolers Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

Refrigerant leak at 3 yrs. warranty two years. No support from Danby. Everyday normal fridges last decades. This one which cost the same doesn't? Extremely unreliable product with support to match. I will try my best to never purchase a Danby product again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2015

After living with this product for a month, the noise that is made by the unit recycling "on and off" every 15-25 seconds. This is so annoying and LOUD that it can be heard across the room, interfering with conversation or the TV sound. Worse is the fact that our inquiries to the manufacturer have had no response. Additionally, the cooler was to hold 36 wine bottles-- cannot see how this is possible unless the bottles are smaller than standard size. (Cooler was purchased through Wine Cooler Direct.)

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

Purchased Danby wine cooler. Two years, unit quit cooling. Called Danby, could not get through to talk to anyone. Finally got through and they basically said too bad, they would not do anything to repair, and the 3 service reps in the state that were certified to repair were mysteriously out of business. Called local appliance store and they said they could not repair. What a $900 piece of crap. Went to Big Box store and replaced with $300 unit that works better than Danby ever did.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

I purchased danby fridge less than 1 year ago. Woke up in the morning, the fridge has stopped on me, it's not cooling. I called danby customer service, they gave me the j&s service co. who suppose to take care of the issue. After they saw it, they told the BAD COMPRESSOR. And danby won't fix it. I called danby, told them about the issue. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH DANBY I HAVE EVER HAD. They are only helpful to sell you product, not when their product goes wrong...

Spoke with supervisor and she was very helpless. Her name Ashley extension **....was not helpful at all... She closed the doors on me the way I felt... now I lost $500+ tax for product not worth even a Penny.... I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU TO BUY DANBY.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2013

Purchased a Danby Beverage Center 3 years ago. It is a great looking machine, dual zone cooling, locking doors, pretty blue lights. Over the holiday, the unit stopped cooling and started warming. The visiting repair tech told me the compressor was bad. He said he couldn't even replace the compressor because the part was no longer available. I called Danby. They said since the unit is no longer under warranty, there was nothing they could do. So, it looks like I out $1,160.00 ($1,100 for the cooler and $60 for the repair guy to tell me I'm S.O.L.). Firstly, I am seriously disappointed with Danby. A refrigerator should be designed to last more than 3 years. I have an old Kenmore still running since my college days (35 years ago). But secondly, and perhaps more important, I believe it is downright criminal for Danby to have halted production of the repair parts needed to keep these units functioning. That just stinks of "design flaw" and it should have resulted in a recall/replacement of every unit they sold. I will never own or recommend another Danby product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Danby?

Original review: June 18, 2013

I bought Whirlpool wine cooler two years ago. I woke up this morning with an inside temperature 72 F. When I called customer service which was as useless as their products, they informed me that I have to repair it myself because the warranty was for just one year. Shame on Whirlpool!!!

Original review: May 7, 2013

Danby Silhouette Wine cooler - Wine cooler thermostat failed and cost me $500.00 in wines. It blew hot air on them instead of cool air, actually heating up the area where both wines were, and then defaulted to the lowest temp for the white wine area. The product lasted 4 years; it is dead now. My second one, first one had to be replaced in the first 30 days. Underwhelmed and the dealer that we dealt with totally pushed us to Danby - only interested in the sale and not the customer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2012

Model #DFF261BSLDB - I bought the top of the line medium size refrigerator (stainless steel bottom freezer) last year around this time. It leaked all the refrigerate in the sealed system and died last week. As a disabled senior, I presumed it would last for years and if it didn't, the company would stand behind a new refrigerator. I am amazed just how many fridges (Kenmore, Whirlpool, etc.) are working over 30 years with no problem. In my long life, I have never had one fail. My last one of 13 years old, I replaced to be more energy-efficient and to avoid the hell I have gone through with no refrigeration. The smell and mess, the damaged floor, food and medicine spoilage. Most annoying is having to go out or have everything brought in cash, while they wait for the company to help you resolve the problem to no avail.

I must say the customer service women try to help, asking the supervisor for assistance. If you ask to speak to a supervisor and get Laura, expect a very unsympathetic, very unprofessional and rude experience. Their warranty is for one year and they stopped the 5-year sealed system warranty in 2007. Because it is not worth fixing most system leaks, other manufacturers guarantee the sealed system for 5, 10, 12 and even 15 years. So many poor folks have paid over $900 for wine coolers, only to experience several failures in a short period of time - losing expensive, great wines. What a shame! So beware of buying things from Danby, unless you are prepared to lose your stuff. With all the stress that goes along with that failure, do you really want to be replacing and/or repairing your unit annually?

There are too many good companies and products that understand customer service out there and are not made in China! Yes, don't let the history of a 1947 Canadian company, with plant in Ohio since '92, fool you as it did to me. I was amazed to see made in China all over the back of the fridge! In fact, they opened up an office in China this October 2012! They are so in tuned and care about the US economy and their fellow Americans! Their bottom line is to produce products as cheaply as possible and make as much money as possible. They don't care about us as individual consumers or as a country that needs to create jobs and products made in the USA. We have to stop this behavior if we ever hope to make this a better world again!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

We originally purchased two Danby Silhouette 166-Bottle wine coolers for our house. While one of the original wine coolers is still working, we are now on our third wine cooler for the other one and this one is falling apart (somehow expanded in width) to the point that one side of the shelves are not staying in the roller track and falling on top of the shelf below. These wine coolers are a joke and I understand that they have discontinued making them. Luckily, we have purchased the extended (5-year) warranty each time they replace the units. The previous wine coolers had refrigerant leaks and the warranty company determined that it was better to replace the units than fix them. Bo not buy a Danby wine cooler no matter how attractive the price may be!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2012

I purchased a Danby French Door Dual Zone Wine Cooler for $950.00. At two years, the unit failed; and it took three months to repair due to a redesign of a defective part. At 4.5 years, the unit failed again due to a crack in the tubing - still under the limited warranty but not worth the repair at a cost to me of $500.00. That an appliance today will only last 4.5 years is pathetic. I would not recommend Danby and will never buy another product from them.

Danby Wine Coolers Company Information