Danby Wine Coolers

Danby Wine Coolers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.69/5

Danby Wine Coolers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Danby Wine Coolers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Danby?

Original review: March 10, 2016

I purchased a small freezer from Best Buy made by Danby. The first unit arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in two places. I took photos and reported the damage to Best Buy. They shipped a second unit which arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in four places. When I contacted Best Buy they dragged their feet with regard to having the unit replaced with an undamaged unit.

I contacted Danby directly who has done NOTHING to make the situation right or offer to replace the unit given the lack of customer service from Best Buy. Very poor quality control at Danby boxing and shipping two damaged units. Very poor customer service at Best Buy given it's been two weeks and I finally sent both units back and have requested a refund from the bank. I will not be a customer of Best Buy going forward and I would never order another Danby product.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

Purchased the 146 bottle unit from Costco. Less than 2 years later it stopped cooling and a "plastic" or chemical smell was noticeable when opening the unit. After reading the reviews here I didn't bother calling Danby and just junked it. BTW, my only experience with their customer service was a call I made to their "tech" department to tell them I was having trouble adjusting the temperature. Their only response was to get a new unit and hung up on me. I read reviews on a lot of other units but feared I would be buying or repairing units every few years. I bit the bullet and replaced it with a 147 bottle Sub-Zero bought from a local Kitchen & Bath appliance store. When I asked the sales person about Danby products he looked perplexed then said his store doesn't carry them. When I pressed him further he hesitated (obviously not wanting to disparage another company), but gave me the impression that Danby was the bottom of the barrel. How right he is.

Given all the negative reviews on this site, and my own experience, I think this company should be investigated. Anyone who knows Sub-Zero knows it to be the best, and while their unit is almost 5 times what I paid for the Danby, or other units of similar size in the marketplace, I know it will last. It came with a 10 yr warranty! If you're storing wine anywhere near $80 a bottle average, you've made the unit worth while. I will never buy another Danby product again.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

I purchased a Danby ice chest in October of 2015. In December of 2015 I noticed I had a horrible smell coming from the unit. I opened the unit to find out that it was no longer working. All the status lights on the outside all indicated the unit was functioning as it should be. I reported to the company I purchased the unit from (www.appliancesconnection.com) and they said I would have to contact Danby directly with the issue. I proceeded to do so and had a tech from one of their prescribed repair companies come and look at the unit. Upon inspection he told me the unit would have to be completely replaced because the cost to repair it outweighed the cost of replacement. I notified Danby and they never refunded me my money or supplied me with a new unit to this day (February 6, 2016). Their customer service is horrible and they certainty don't stand by their products.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

Purchased Danby wine cooler. Two years, unit quit cooling. Called Danby, could not get through to talk to anyone. Finally got through and they basically said too bad, they would not be able to help me. The wine cooler just stop working, no warning or anything. I went to get a bottle of wine from my wine cooler and all 30 bottles were hot. Was not a happy camper. I was told that the compressor can not be fixed. You would think it was made in China but it's not. It is made right in America. I will never buy any of Danby product again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

I bought the wine cooler 11/2011 for my newly remodeled kitchen. The contractor built in the unit, modifying the cabinets and making sure to allow proper air flow. The appliance store assured me that the front air intake was the best unit for the custom installation. Now 11/2015 the wine cooler does not cool. I called both the appliance store and Danby Service to get advice and service. The warranty was 18 months after purchase. I spent $700 plus for the wine cooler. The appliance store told me that Danby had a cheap compressor and that they fail and cannot be serviced. Danby Service told me that the compressor is sealed and cannot be recharged. I own a small Kenmore refrigerator in my basement pool room that has been flawless for at least 10 years, that I paid Sears $125. I would not recommend Danby products to anyone. Their lack of customer service and goodwill is criminal.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2015

Lucky we had an extended warranty. Lower section stopped cooling. Local company attempted repair. 2nd visit it was determined unit was not repairable due to a leak in one of the evaporators. Repair company said the Danby had the largest number of service request and usually fail right after the warranty expires.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

We bought the unit because it was perfect match for our kitchen - the double French door with dual temperature, blue light was also very attractive. We spent $1200. After about 2 years, the unit died. Danby exchanged the unit - it took some fight and time, but they agreed. Then, 2 years later, the unit died again... This is when I decided to look at some review online and I'm not the only one with serious issue with this unit and this company. It is a very cheap unit, not build with the best parts. The company doesn't care. I have a small bar fridge in my basement that I spent $125 on it and it was almost 10 years ago... It never break. And then a beverage centre for $1200 that barely last 2 years... Yikes.. Stay away from this.

Original review: May 29, 2015

I had a repairman in to check our 5 month old Bosch oven that didn't work properly. While he was here I told him my wine cooler, also 5 months old, was making a loud clunk noise when it shut off. He told me that Danby uses substandard compressors, and that he couldn't repair or replace the compressor because they don't want anyone working on the pressure parts of their product. He said the suspension of the compressor was failing and that he would ask the retailer to order me a complete new unit. He recommended that I replace it with one of several other brands.

Tonight I was in the same room and immediately became aware of a solvent type smell. I quickly traced it to the wine cooler. The smell was almost overpowering, but I quickly unloaded the unit, pulled it out, and carted it outside. The solvent smell was awful. My wife and I quickly got all the windows and doors open and we are still trying to clear the smell. I will speak to the retailer (a reliable company) tomorrow. I'm SO GLAD this didn't happen when we were asleep. Does anyone know what the refrigerant is that leaked out? Is it toxic? I'm still coughing and have a headache.

Original review: April 24, 2015

Danbywine cooler Mdl DWC106A1BPDD - Thermostat on the unit read 54 degrees but when I opened the door all of the product was frozen with 8 of the bottles had corks popped out and frozen wine all over the unit. I called a repair person to look at it and he told me the thermostat was no good. ($95.00 service call.) I still had 6 months to go on the warranty so I called Danby and was told to cut the cord in half, remove the sticker with model number and serial number, take a picture of them, and then e-mail it to ** and I would receive a call in a few days from someone who would replace the unit. That has been over 3 weeks and no call. I tried sourcing a thermostat from several companies on line and was told there is no thermostat available for this model number. I lost over $1400.00 worth of very good wines.

Original review: April 20, 2015

2x2x5 foot wine cooler. We've had it 2 years. It was in our wine cellar to cool whites and bubbly cooler than reds in the rest of the cellar. The box froze and exploded our wine twice. Finally put it out in the garage, where it couldn't make such a mess if it freezes again, which it just did. Now it goes out to the curb - done.

Danby Wine Coolers Company Information