Danby Wine Coolers

Compare Wine Refrigerators & Coolers

Research top Wine Refrigerators & Coolers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Me and my wife received this as a wedding gift... Still have the receipt and after 15 months the fridge no longer works. They have horrible customer service. Once reached the only solution was to buy a new fridge and they would offer a 10% discount. Are you kidding me?? It was a $420 wine cooler. The wine that I have in there is worth more than the fridge itself!! I would never buy another product from Danby. I wouldn't be as disappointed if it was a "cheaper" model or make, but thinking that it wasn't priced higher, you would think it would last for a few years... Clearly not the case here! Buyers stay away from Danby products!!!

I purchased a small freezer from Best Buy made by Danby. The first unit arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in two places. I took photos and reported the damage to Best Buy. They shipped a second unit which arrived damaged in the box meaning it was put in the box damaged and shipped. It was damaged in four places. When I contacted Best Buy they dragged their feet with regard to having the unit replaced with an undamaged unit.

I contacted Danby directly who has done NOTHING to make the situation right or offer to replace the unit given the lack of customer service from Best Buy. Very poor quality control at Danby boxing and shipping two damaged units. Very poor customer service at Best Buy given it's been two weeks and I finally sent both units back and have requested a refund from the bank. I will not be a customer of Best Buy going forward and I would never order another Danby product.

Purchased the 146 bottle unit from Costco. Less than 2 years later it stopped cooling and a "plastic" or chemical smell was noticeable when opening the unit. After reading the reviews here I didn't bother calling Danby and just junked it. BTW, my only experience with their customer service was a call I made to their "tech" department to tell them I was having trouble adjusting the temperature. Their only response was to get a new unit and hung up on me. I read reviews on a lot of other units but feared I would be buying or repairing units every few years. I bit the bullet and replaced it with a 147 bottle Sub-Zero bought from a local Kitchen & Bath appliance store. When I asked the sales person about Danby products he looked perplexed then said his store doesn't carry them. When I pressed him further he hesitated (obviously not wanting to disparage another company), but gave me the impression that Danby was the bottom of the barrel. How right he is.

Given all the negative reviews on this site, and my own experience, I think this company should be investigated. Anyone who knows Sub-Zero knows it to be the best, and while their unit is almost 5 times what I paid for the Danby, or other units of similar size in the marketplace, I know it will last. It came with a 10 yr warranty! If you're storing wine anywhere near $80 a bottle average, you've made the unit worth while. I will never buy another Danby product again.

I purchased a Danby ice chest in October of 2015. In December of 2015 I noticed I had a horrible smell coming from the unit. I opened the unit to find out that it was no longer working. All the status lights on the outside all indicated the unit was functioning as it should be. I reported to the company I purchased the unit from (www.appliancesconnection.com) and they said I would have to contact Danby directly with the issue. I proceeded to do so and had a tech from one of their prescribed repair companies come and look at the unit. Upon inspection he told me the unit would have to be completely replaced because the cost to repair it outweighed the cost of replacement. I notified Danby and they never refunded me my money or supplied me with a new unit to this day (February 6, 2016). Their customer service is horrible and they certainty don't stand by their products.

Purchased Danby wine cooler. Two years, unit quit cooling. Called Danby, could not get through to talk to anyone. Finally got through and they basically said too bad, they would not be able to help me. The wine cooler just stop working, no warning or anything. I went to get a bottle of wine from my wine cooler and all 30 bottles were hot. Was not a happy camper. I was told that the compressor can not be fixed. You would think it was made in China but it's not. It is made right in America. I will never buy any of Danby product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Danby?

I bought the wine cooler 11/2011 for my newly remodeled kitchen. The contractor built in the unit, modifying the cabinets and making sure to allow proper air flow. The appliance store assured me that the front air intake was the best unit for the custom installation. Now 11/2015 the wine cooler does not cool. I called both the appliance store and Danby Service to get advice and service. The warranty was 18 months after purchase. I spent $700 plus for the wine cooler. The appliance store told me that Danby had a cheap compressor and that they fail and cannot be serviced. Danby Service told me that the compressor is sealed and cannot be recharged. I own a small Kenmore refrigerator in my basement pool room that has been flawless for at least 10 years, that I paid Sears $125. I would not recommend Danby products to anyone. Their lack of customer service and goodwill is criminal.

Lucky we had an extended warranty. Lower section stopped cooling. Local company attempted repair. 2nd visit it was determined unit was not repairable due to a leak in one of the evaporators. Repair company said the Danby had the largest number of service request and usually fail right after the warranty expires.

We bought the unit because it was perfect match for our kitchen - the double French door with dual temperature, blue light was also very attractive. We spent $1200. After about 2 years, the unit died. Danby exchanged the unit - it took some fight and time, but they agreed. Then, 2 years later, the unit died again... This is when I decided to look at some review online and I'm not the only one with serious issue with this unit and this company. It is a very cheap unit, not build with the best parts. The company doesn't care. I have a small bar fridge in my basement that I spent $125 on it and it was almost 10 years ago... It never break. And then a beverage centre for $1200 that barely last 2 years... Yikes.. Stay away from this.

I had a repairman in to check our 5 month old Bosch oven that didn't work properly. While he was here I told him my wine cooler, also 5 months old, was making a loud clunk noise when it shut off. He told me that Danby uses substandard compressors, and that he couldn't repair or replace the compressor because they don't want anyone working on the pressure parts of their product. He said the suspension of the compressor was failing and that he would ask the retailer to order me a complete new unit. He recommended that I replace it with one of several other brands.

Tonight I was in the same room and immediately became aware of a solvent type smell. I quickly traced it to the wine cooler. The smell was almost overpowering, but I quickly unloaded the unit, pulled it out, and carted it outside. The solvent smell was awful. My wife and I quickly got all the windows and doors open and we are still trying to clear the smell. I will speak to the retailer (a reliable company) tomorrow. I'm SO GLAD this didn't happen when we were asleep. Does anyone know what the refrigerant is that leaked out? Is it toxic? I'm still coughing and have a headache.

Danbywine cooler Mdl DWC106A1BPDD - Thermostat on the unit read 54 degrees but when I opened the door all of the product was frozen with 8 of the bottles had corks popped out and frozen wine all over the unit. I called a repair person to look at it and he told me the thermostat was no good. ($95.00 service call.) I still had 6 months to go on the warranty so I called Danby and was told to cut the cord in half, remove the sticker with model number and serial number, take a picture of them, and then e-mail it to ** and I would receive a call in a few days from someone who would replace the unit. That has been over 3 weeks and no call. I tried sourcing a thermostat from several companies on line and was told there is no thermostat available for this model number. I lost over $1400.00 worth of very good wines.

2x2x5 foot wine cooler. We've had it 2 years. It was in our wine cellar to cool whites and bubbly cooler than reds in the rest of the cellar. The box froze and exploded our wine twice. Finally put it out in the garage, where it couldn't make such a mess if it freezes again, which it just did. Now it goes out to the curb - done.

Danby DWC458BLS - This unit was supplied by home builder in 2010 and was built into a bar cabinet. Although it still cools the thing short cycles every 20 seconds or so and is noisy. It is loud enough I have to unplug it if I have guests who are sleeping in the guest room downstairs near the kitchen/bar. On/Off/On/Off every 20 seconds. I thought it may be low on refrigerant cause the short cycle (HVAC term). However after reading other reviews it seems that this is normal for this unit and there is no economical way to repair it even if it did have a malfunction. I will be looking at an alternative product that will hopefully fit into the same space. Not recommended.

Refrigerant leak at 3 yrs. warranty two years. No support from Danby. Everyday normal fridges last decades. This one which cost the same doesn't? Extremely unreliable product with support to match. I will try my best to never purchase a Danby product again.

After living with this product for a month, the noise that is made by the unit recycling "on and off" every 15-25 seconds. This is so annoying and LOUD that it can be heard across the room, interfering with conversation or the TV sound. Worse is the fact that our inquiries to the manufacturer have had no response. Additionally, the cooler was to hold 36 wine bottles-- cannot see how this is possible unless the bottles are smaller than standard size. (Cooler was purchased through Wine Cooler Direct.)

Purchased Danby wine cooler. Two years, unit quit cooling. Called Danby, could not get through to talk to anyone. Finally got through and they basically said too bad, they would not do anything to repair, and the 3 service reps in the state that were certified to repair were mysteriously out of business. Called local appliance store and they said they could not repair. What a $900 piece of crap. Went to Big Box store and replaced with $300 unit that works better than Danby ever did.

I purchased danby fridge less than 1 year ago. Woke up in the morning, the fridge has stopped on me, it's not cooling. I called danby customer service, they gave me the j&s service co. who suppose to take care of the issue. After they saw it, they told the BAD COMPRESSOR. And danby won't fix it. I called danby, told them about the issue. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH DANBY I HAVE EVER HAD. They are only helpful to sell you product, not when their product goes wrong...

Spoke with supervisor and she was very helpless. Her name Ashley extension **....was not helpful at all... She closed the doors on me the way I felt... now I lost $500+ tax for product not worth even a Penny.... I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU TO BUY DANBY.

Purchased a Danby Beverage Center 3 years ago. It is a great looking machine, dual zone cooling, locking doors, pretty blue lights. Over the holiday, the unit stopped cooling and started warming. The visiting repair tech told me the compressor was bad. He said he couldn't even replace the compressor because the part was no longer available. I called Danby. They said since the unit is no longer under warranty, there was nothing they could do. So, it looks like I out $1,160.00 ($1,100 for the cooler and $60 for the repair guy to tell me I'm S.O.L.). Firstly, I am seriously disappointed with Danby. A refrigerator should be designed to last more than 3 years. I have an old Kenmore still running since my college days (35 years ago). But secondly, and perhaps more important, I believe it is downright criminal for Danby to have halted production of the repair parts needed to keep these units functioning. That just stinks of "design flaw" and it should have resulted in a recall/replacement of every unit they sold. I will never own or recommend another Danby product.

I bought Whirlpool wine cooler two years ago. I woke up this morning with an inside temperature 72 F. When I called customer service which was as useless as their products, they informed me that I have to repair it myself because the warranty was for just one year. Shame on Whirlpool!!!

Danby Silhouette Wine cooler - Wine cooler thermostat failed and cost me $500.00 in wines. It blew hot air on them instead of cool air, actually heating up the area where both wines were, and then defaulted to the lowest temp for the white wine area. The product lasted 4 years; it is dead now. My second one, first one had to be replaced in the first 30 days. Underwhelmed and the dealer that we dealt with totally pushed us to Danby - only interested in the sale and not the customer.

Model #DFF261BSLDB - I bought the top of the line medium size refrigerator (stainless steel bottom freezer) last year around this time. It leaked all the refrigerate in the sealed system and died last week. As a disabled senior, I presumed it would last for years and if it didn't, the company would stand behind a new refrigerator. I am amazed just how many fridges (Kenmore, Whirlpool, etc.) are working over 30 years with no problem. In my long life, I have never had one fail. My last one of 13 years old, I replaced to be more energy-efficient and to avoid the hell I have gone through with no refrigeration. The smell and mess, the damaged floor, food and medicine spoilage. Most annoying is having to go out or have everything brought in cash, while they wait for the company to help you resolve the problem to no avail.

I must say the customer service women try to help, asking the supervisor for assistance. If you ask to speak to a supervisor and get Laura, expect a very unsympathetic, very unprofessional and rude experience. Their warranty is for one year and they stopped the 5-year sealed system warranty in 2007. Because it is not worth fixing most system leaks, other manufacturers guarantee the sealed system for 5, 10, 12 and even 15 years. So many poor folks have paid over $900 for wine coolers, only to experience several failures in a short period of time - losing expensive, great wines. What a shame! So beware of buying things from Danby, unless you are prepared to lose your stuff. With all the stress that goes along with that failure, do you really want to be replacing and/or repairing your unit annually?

There are too many good companies and products that understand customer service out there and are not made in China! Yes, don't let the history of a 1947 Canadian company, with plant in Ohio since '92, fool you as it did to me. I was amazed to see made in China all over the back of the fridge! In fact, they opened up an office in China this October 2012! They are so in tuned and care about the US economy and their fellow Americans! Their bottom line is to produce products as cheaply as possible and make as much money as possible. They don't care about us as individual consumers or as a country that needs to create jobs and products made in the USA. We have to stop this behavior if we ever hope to make this a better world again!

We originally purchased two Danby Silhouette 166-Bottle wine coolers for our house. While one of the original wine coolers is still working, we are now on our third wine cooler for the other one and this one is falling apart (somehow expanded in width) to the point that one side of the shelves are not staying in the roller track and falling on top of the shelf below. These wine coolers are a joke and I understand that they have discontinued making them. Luckily, we have purchased the extended (5-year) warranty each time they replace the units. The previous wine coolers had refrigerant leaks and the warranty company determined that it was better to replace the units than fix them. Bo not buy a Danby wine cooler no matter how attractive the price may be!

I purchased a Danby French Door Dual Zone Wine Cooler for $950.00. At two years, the unit failed; and it took three months to repair due to a redesign of a defective part. At 4.5 years, the unit failed again due to a crack in the tubing - still under the limited warranty but not worth the repair at a cost to me of $500.00. That an appliance today will only last 4.5 years is pathetic. I would not recommend Danby and will never buy another product from them.

Purchased Danby Silhouette dual zone 166 bottle wine cooler from Quality Matters in May 2008, noticed in January it was not keeping the temperature. Of course it no longer under warranty, so I took it to one of Danby's recommended service providers to see about the repair, only to find out that there is a leak in the system and will cost $600 just to locate it plus parts and labor to fix. The repairman said it was not worth fixing. Seems this system was most likely defective. I have tried to contact Danby but cannot get past their customer service who do not know how to do their job, because they are not helpful and will not put me in touch with someone who cares.

I have never had this kind of experience with any major purchase, most companies are willing to try to resolve the problem, because they know that a satisfied customer is good business. In this economy you would think that Danby would care about their customers opinions and satisfaction with their products. I was not trying to get them to give me a free product, but to maybe work a deal where we split the cost on the repair or a new unit. All I can say is that there products should come with a warning label of BUYER BEWARE!

During the last 2.5 years, I have owned two Danby Wine Coolers that had refrigeration system failures within 19 months (DWC110BLSRH) and within 9 months (DWC166BLSRH). Both were purchased from Appliance Smart, who were great to work with. In the case of the 110 bottle unit, I had no recourse because the warranty was expired. Friends who purchased the same unit, at the same time, had a similar problem with this unit and replaced it. I was disappointed in the failure, but then bought the 166 bottle unit which was great until the top portion stopped cooling. I reported the problem to Appliance Smart and without having the unit examined by a refrigeration expert, offered me a full refund because the unit was on an extended five-year warranty.

I took the refund and then paid to have the unit examined on my own. The specialist determined that there was probably a slow leak in the refrigeration system. Since it would be very difficult to find the leak without dismantling the sides, etc., he did not believe the unit could be fixed at any reasonable cost. As a result, the unit was turned in for recycling and I bought a similar size unit from another manufacturer. I will never own or recommend another Danby product because two such failures are inexcusable in a cooler unit of this type. Other reviews confirmed my feelings about Danby, their products and the attempts by others to get service. At least, I did not waste my time trying to get some satisfaction out of Danby, a company that from reviews of those needing service, does not care about its customers. Hopefully, they will be held responsible for their multiple failures in product reliability and services of them.

I have been waiting since 8/9/10 for the repair of our Danby wine cooler DWC283BLS. It is now 11/9/10. The repair service shop recommended by Danby parts cannot get Danby to supply parts. I cannot get Danby service department to even return calls after I faxed all the documentation they requested.

My husband and I went to Appliance Smart less than a year ago. We purchased two wine coolers for our home. Upon delivery, one of the wine coolers did not work. Appliance Smart immediately fixed the problem by replacing the wine cooler with a new one.

About a month ago, the first wine cooler started to lose temperature and no longer was cooling. We were in the process of contacting Appliance Smart when the second Danby Wine lose temperature and finally no longer was cooling. We contacted Appliance Smart who told us they did not have another product in stock and would not send out a repair person because these were not salvageable. The Appliance Smart Dealer explained they had several issues with the slow leaking systems and they would not even send someone out to repair. They immediately offered us a full refund. Now, I am in a position that I have two systems which are not operating and no way to repair. Appliance Smart said "if you want us to come and get them, let us know and we will salvage them."

So I contacted Danby because of my disappointment that I could not get them repaired and I requested them to pay for someone to look at these or I would have to start the rat race of finding new refrigerators along with booking delivery people to remove and pickup my refrigerators. The Danby representative proceeded to tell me that they were not my refrigerators because Appliance Smart had credited me and they would not nothing. I get that Appliance Smart credited me (by the way, I would recommend shopping with them because they were great to me), but why is my time not important as a consumer? Why should I now have to wait on a delivery and take time off from work?

Instead, I think Danby owes me at least the effort to fix them? This is not a financial issue, but more of customer service issue. I have reviewed major appliance sites and consumer sites (including this one) with the same results: Don't buy a Danby product. They do not care about their consumers. If you have a default in a piece of equipment, pull it from the market.

I wish I would have read the reviews on the Danby wine cooler product prior to purchasing as I have been through the same nightmare and my issues are still not resolved. In August of 2009, I purchased a WWC287BLS model wine cooler from Lowe's and had it delivered to my home. Lowe's was great and even installed the unit. It was after I started experiencing warranty issues that this relationship went downhill.

After returning from a short vacation in early June of this year, I noticed that the dual zone temps in the wine cooler were at 91 degrees - and how long they had been that temp was a mystery since I had been gone. I called Lowe's and they advised me to call Danby, the manufacturer of this Whirlpool branded wine cooler. After reaching Danby, they provided a service provider that I had to use for service. The service provider came out and took the wine cooler into their shop as they do not repair on site. After a few days,they advised that there was a leak in the sealed system and the unit could not be repaired. After calls to Danby, they required the service invoice stating that the unit could not be repaired along with the purchase receipt in order to proceed with the claim.

I immediately faxed and emailed to them. Not hearing from them after several days, I called and received information that they would be replacing the unit. The new unit was delivered by A-1 Express Delivery Service. Unfortunately, they refused to bring into the house and would only leave at the front door. Noticing that the box was damaged, I unpacked and found that the unit had a big dent on the side and would not level. Calls to Danby resulted in the same service company to again come out and advise that the unit could not be repaired and would not level. After again sending in the invoice stating this, Danby advised that they will immediately send another unit.

After waiting over a month, I phoned Danby today for the status and they advised that they sent me an email advising the procedure in returning the old unit. After staying on hold for 20 minutes, I finally was able to discuss the situation. I never received an email and basically unless I hadn't phoned, I would still be waiting to hear. They advised that it would be another 3 or 4 weeks for the replacement unit after I returned the damaged unit and they kept stating that they had sent a replacement unit. Obviously, they felt that I should just be happy with the replacement unit.

When I requested to speak to a supervisor, after all wouldn't the logical result be to pick up the damaged unit when delivering the new one, I was hung up on and when I phoned back, the office was conveniently closed although scheduled to remain open another 20 minutes. All I can say is that I wish now that I would have accepted their offer of a refund. But no, I am still at their mercy and waiting for a replacement unit. I will try again to phone tomorrow and see if I can reach anyone in authority.

Judging by the complaints on this website and others, I am not alone. I made the mistake of purchasing a Danby Wine Cooler, model DWC166BLSRH a little over a year ago. It quit cooling 3 weeks after being installed. I contacted Danby for warranty work and they gave me the name of 4 service providers. All refused to work on the unit because they can't get the parts or paid for the service. These are the names that they gave me! I contacted Danby again and they said I could find my own provider and that they would work with them.

This happened after they called all of the service providers and confirmed what I told them. The service company came out and tried to order parts and found out that they are not available. This is wine cooler that is just over a year old and that is still being sold. Danby confirmed that the parts are not available and that they had no ETA for when they would. It is a sealed unit and parts are not available from any other source. They said that they would replace the unit but that the waiting time is 4-6 weeks. I asked if I could get it replaced through the company that I purchased it from and they said that they would approve it if the unit is in stock.

I contacted the company and they confirmed that it was in stock and that they would send the new unit if Danby would approve the payment. That was almost three weeks ago and Danby won't call them back. They said that they needed the bill of sale, which was provided. They said that they needed the service work order which was provided weeks ago. Now they just don't return calls or emails. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a supposedly reputable company. Laura, the customer service manager doesn't follow up or return calls or emails. Nobody else at the company responds either. Judging by the other complaints here, none of which seem to be resolved, it appears that this is going to be a very long process. I have already sent my wine to an offsite storage location. Even though the cooler is built-in and it will cost me to modify the opening, I am going to try to get them to simply let me return the unit. Don't buy anything from Danby. They might have some good products, but I can tell you, that the service is a nightmare.

I purchased a Danby Silhouette wine refrigerator, model DWC166BLSRH, Serial number 0908080100008 on September 2, 2008 from beveragefactory.com. One of the main reasons I chose the Danby line was because of its warranty and promise of good service, which is written directly on the website. Unfortunately, my Danby wine refrigerator has been broken since March 15th, 2010. After nearly 5 months, it is still broken and no progress has been made, whatsoever, in the effort to get it fixed. I have made over 20 calls to Danby's service organization to date attempting to get this product, which is still under the original warranty, fixed. So much for their "commitment" to service.

The ticket number for your reference is #***. I have emailed the receipt for my purchase three times and been told each time that it was not received, despite having received email confirmation that it had been opened. I have been told by the service dealer here in North Carolina that the work order has been faxed multiple times to the name given to me, only to be told that it never arrived either. I have left two messages for the manager, Laura, provided the ticket number for her reference, an overview of the issues, and my phone number, and never received any call back. I have called the service manager directly (Dave) in the US at 1-800- reference number D44365108, and been told that parts were ordered, it would be taken care of, and that parts would be shipped to the service provider by the end of June. To this date, no parts have been ordered, nothing has been resolved, no one ever calls me back, and I have over $3000 worth of high quality wine that has been sitting out on my counter top for 5 months being improperly stored, with corks drying out, and wine getting ruined.

I have spoken to the following individuals in Canada multiple times: Diana, Erica Roxanne, and left two messages for Laura the manager.I have called on the following dates: 3/15/2010, 3/26/2010, 5/3/2010, 5/10/2010, 7/12/2010, 7/20/2010, 7/19/2010, 8/5/2010, 8/6/2010, 8/10/2010 on multiple occasions I have been put on hold indefinitely or transferred to an errant number, the ridiculousness of this situation just goes on and on and on.

At this point, I want this resolved and if I have to get a lawyer involved to do it, fine. I am also planning to write the president of Danby to see if I can get resolution through him, but based on the other complaints on this site, that doesn't seem very likely either. I have over $3000 worth of wine that has been sitting on my counter for over five months and is slowly turning to vinegar because of improper storage. The cost of the refrigerator was over $1,600. Please have someone get in contact with me to help me find resolution to this long overdue problem.

Well I see I'm not the only one that has problems with Danby's wine cooler and their customer service. I also bought dual zone wine cooler for a kitchen re model in 2008 The warranty stated that there was two years on parts and labor and 3 years on the "sealed system" The unit was delivered in March 2008 and installed in Late April 2008. This March (2010) the unit started malfunctioning with one side overheating then the other. Then the thermal breaks would cut in and shut down the compressor. I called Danby not sure whether I was under warranty or not. After a lot of talking I convinced them to pay for a service call. They gave me a number of a local Danby service center.

A week later they arrived and told me that they didn't work on sealed systems I would have to call someone else. I called Danby to let them know. I was given another service center to call but they couldn't come for 2 weeks as Wednesday was the only day someone was home. Two weeks later these people told me the sealed system was shot and the unit needed to be replaced. I called Danby to let them know. They wanted me to fax the serviceman’s report to their headquarters in Canada. You'd think they could do that. After all it was their approved technicians that came down. I faxed it and heard nothing for 3 weeks. It was then I decided to call. They told me Oh! The defective unit needs to be picked up.

Danby did nothing for 3 weeks and waited for me to call after I sent them the report they asked for. I told them OK but it needs to be picked up on Wednesday. They said they would arrange that with their transport company Conway. Guess what? They showed up on Tuesday, I just happened to be home with the flu. Otherwise I would have waited at least another week for pickup. I called Danby and said now what and told them again Wednesday is the only possible delivery day. They said OK and would call me when they had information on the new unit. Days went by and I heard nothing. However this past Monday I noticed some papers on the lawn when I got home from work. To my surprise Conway had tried to deliver a new unit without checking first.

I called Conway and told them that they were supposed to phone first. Conway told me that Danby never told them to call nor did they specify Wednesday delivery. Conway told me they would re deliver on Wednesday. Wednesday came and Conway showed up with the unit. There was an orange label affixed to the box of the wine cooler saying it had been damaged in transport. Sure enough there was a big gash in the bottom of the box where the fork lift had gone through. I refused delivery and first called Conway. They knew the unit was damaged when they tried to deliver it 2 days earlier. That's when the put the damaged label on it and they had the nerve to try and deliver it. I called Danby and was furious. They didn't want to hear it. I told them Conway was never told about the Wednesday Delivery by Danby like they were supposed to and they tried to deliver damaged merchandise.

Danby then tried to offer a partial refund and they would call it even. I told them no way. I would not incur any out of pocket expense the unit was under warranty. They wouldn't budge. I wanted to escalate but they wouldn't give me any information to do so. They told me I would have to deal with customer service. I told them customer service isn't doing their job I want to speak with someone else. They refused. After some searching I managed to reach the assistant to the president of Danby and explained what had been going on. She listened and said she would get back to me.

Five minutes later the customer service person called back and again offered a refund less my home delivery charge. She said she was going to send me the check. I told her not to do that at least 5 times during the call. I told her they need to replace the unit at their cost. We kept going round and round. Finally I said I will not accept the check and ended the conversation. I wanted to let the president's assistant know what just happened so I called her back and was routed back to customer service. I called again and was routed back to customer service again. So this time I queried the switchboard operator who told me that she was told if I called not to connect me to the president’s office but back to customer service only. Apparently they're angry. The top executives at Danby apparently couldn't care less about their poor customer service or the inconvenience to their customers. They want you to buy their products but if there is a problem they want you to just go away! Don't waste your time buying anything from this company. If there's a problem with the unit you'll be very sorry.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Danby has been providing cooling solutions for homeowners for over 65 years. Their wine coolers allow homeowners to keep between 17 and 50 beverages chilled without taking up valuable space in their refrigerators.

• Warranty: All of Danby’s products come with standard 12, 18 and 24 month warranties that include labor, parts and servicing. Canadian consumers are eligible to apply for an extended warranty, which can protect your wine cooler for up to four years after your initial warranty expires.
  • Built-in options: Homeowners seeking a customized experience will enjoy a built-in wine cooler option, which is available from Silhouette, one of Danby’s brands. Locate your local Silhouette retailer from their website to get started.
  • Ideal for smaller spaces: Danby’s wine coolers are made for small spaces. They can fit between 17 and 50 wine bottles, and they are free standing, which means you can move yours around to suit your storage and space-saving needs.
  • Online manuals: There’s no reason to panic about losing the manual that came with your new Danby appliance. Find the manual for your Danby product on their website.
  • Remanufactured Certified products: Danby products that have been returned go through Danby’s remanufacturing process. The products are inspected, tested, repackaged and sold to consumers at a reduced cost. Danby’s remanufactured certified products are high quality products that cost less than the original products, making them a good option for budget-conscious consumers.
  • Best for Danby wine coolers are best for small home dwellers.

Compare Wine Refrigerators & Coolers