2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

Cuisinart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: June 15, 2012

I called Cuisinart CS twice and was not treated well. Sears showed interest, but has not done anything and Cuisinart just don't care. At no point did I request a refund and I will not pay shipping back to company for the warranty. They did waive the $10.00 handling fee because of my situation. I do not want another Cuisinart product because Google and Youtube are full of info on fires in their products:

There was a problem with my Cuisinart coffeemaker and I possibly averted a major disaster which involved one of your products. I purchased this model brand new from Sears in October 2011 and used it on a daily basis. Last night, Friday, 6/8/12, while in the process of shutting the house down for the night, I turned off the coffeemaker. Approximately 45 minutes later, my wife and I noticed the house getting hazy and a smell of something burning. I arose out of the bed to investigate and traced the problem to the mentioned coffeemaker.

The machine was off and the lower part, including the warmer and the metal grid underneath, was blazing hot and 1/2 pot of old coffee was boiling. Smoke was coming from the rear of the unit by electrical cord. My Formica counter top luckily was able to withstand the intense heat generated by the faulty appliance for which I caught the problem just in time and threw the machine on the patio. I am extremely disappointed with their product and I thank God that me and my family are safe today to speak about it. I don't know what I am going to do because I feel that the consumer safety groups should inspect my machine and get their opinion so that this problem may not turn into a tragedy for someone else. My serial number is 91210 and the model is Cuisinart DCC-1100bk.

Original review: June 7, 2012

Serious fire hazard! The unit started smoking and crackling, melting a hole at the bottom and causing the coffee to boil furiously from the extreme heat. I shudder to think of what could have happened if I hadn't heard, been near the kitchen so I could unplug it and toss it out the door before it burst into flames. I googled the problem and found out my experience was neither isolated nor new. There are numerous complaints about the safety of this appliance. Why is it still on the market?!

Original review: June 7, 2012

I’m just reading some of the reviews about people’s experiences with the Cuisinart coffee maker, namely the DCC-1200. I have the model DCC-2200. While I have not experienced any electrical or fire issues with this coffee maker, I would like to make an observation as to what could be the problem with the other consumers who have had electrical or potential fire issues with their coffee makers. One possible explanation could be that the water tank lid forms a considerable amount of condensation (puddles up) and when the lid is opened up, this pours down the back of the unit. If gone unnoticed, it could very well be puddling up on the underside of the hot plate, wherein there is a warning on the bottom side of the coffee maker not to immerse in water. This could very well be causing an electrical short in the unit. This water tank lid design is just plain stupid. Whenever I make a pot of coffee, I make sure and dump the excessive condensation from the lid. Well, anyway that's my 2 cents on a possible cause for electrical issues with some of the reviews I have read here.

Original review: June 6, 2012

The Cuisinart Coffee Maker DCC11008K serial# 80714 suddenly started to boil and popped, cracked and smoke came from the bottom. I was lucky to be in the adjoining room and able to unplug and place it outside.

Original review: June 6, 2012

DCC-1200 series - I heard popping. When I investigated, I noticed no power was on but the base was red hot and smoke was pouring from the back. Thank God that I was home today. I'm usually at work. My home, dogs, cats, birds, fish, hermit crabs and four generations of memories would have been burned to the ground. Maybe my neighbors' homes as well as they are at work. I'm still shaking at the thought.

Original review: June 4, 2012

My experience is identical to many others posted on this site. I just finished my first cup of coffee and heard strange popping noises. Upon further investigation, I noticed the Cuisinart coffee pot had no lights on and the coffee in the carafe was boiling! There was smoke coming from the base and a strong acrid odor. The unit is now outside my home and I am angry that Cuisinart is selling a known fire hazard. Based on the reports on this board, I find it hard to believe they have no knowledge of this issue. I have no doubt that had I not been home, the outcome would have been disastrous. This is the last Cuisinart product I will ever own. I am also lodging a complaint to Macy's department store. I purchased this item there and I hope they will take note of the complaints posted here online. I will also contact my local fire department and find out what their thoughts are and, at the very least, get some record of this incident.

Original review: May 26, 2012

I purchased a new single-serve SS-700FR for my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas. I did not notice it said it was a refurbished product because I would never consider buying a refurbished product. They were selling their home, so along with their wedding gifts they did not unpack the new coffee maker until May when they moved into their new home. It does not work. I called a small appliance repair person and he has determined the pump is bad and defective. So a supposedly tested refurbished product was sent out with a bad pump. Not one cup of coffee has come from this coffee maker. If they won't fix it, I'd just like to return it and they can refurbish it for someone else and refund my money.

Original review: May 21, 2012

Several years ago, I purchased a Cuisinart Automatic Coffee Grinder/Maker and recently noticed after washing the carafe, some black sludge was leaching from a small pinhole at the bottom. I'm not sure how it got there, but if the interior of the carafe was made by a casting process, or there was some kind of defect in the material used to form it, this is a potentially serious health risk.

I shudder to think what kind of mold or bacteria is growing in the warm, moist space between the exterior sidewalls of the carafe and the supposed vacuum space between it and the inner that holds the brewed coffee. I have no idea how long I have been drinking from this toxic pot, but I am concerned what I and potentially thousands of others have been exposed to. I'm sure a lab test of some kind could readily identify what the dark, seepage contains.

Apparently, Cuisinart Customer Service is more concerned about whether my unit is still under warranty rather than the fact that I and others may be poisoning themselves. I have offered to send back the pot so that it can be analyzed but they are unconcerned. In the future, I will never buy another coffeemaker with a metal carafe and urge others to consider avoiding any manufacturer that is unconcerned with customer safety.

Original review: May 21, 2012

I purchased a glass cutting board at Kohl’s. I have the model number. My cutting board exploded in my kitchen, across my floor, in my sink. It was in my hair, small cut above my eye, a couple of cuts on my leg. It stopped up my garbage disposal because I guess I didn’t get all the glass out. It was all over my rug, which I am afraid to clean. It was not in a cold room. I did not drop anything on it. I was just cutting a piece of pineapple. I called Cuisinart and she just said, oh, okay we can send you another one, those sometimes do that. I took pictures if you would like to see them.

Original review: May 20, 2012

Okay, here's another one just like the ones before. I bought the DC-1100 a week ago. After brewing a pot this morning, and drinking most of it, we heard a gurgling sound and went into the kitchen to find the unit smoking. We were also just about to walk out the door - ughhhh. In addition, noticed that no lights were on and the clock was no longer working. So it seems like the unit had burned through the control unit. Given the other similar stories, this maker is a catastrophe ready to happen.

Original review: May 13, 2012

Regarding my DCC-1200: I'm amazed at the stories I have found on the internet relating to the CuisinArt coffee makers (various models). Ours did exactly that same thing that is explained in all stories I have read so far. The scary thing is, I was getting ready to walk out the door and leave my children alone at the house - my oldest one is 13. I heard this gurgling sound that wouldn't stop, saw the smoke and unplugged it. What if I had left the house with my kids here? I feel like filing a lawsuit for that reason alone!

I searched "cuisinart coffee maker caught fire" and have read 23 stories in the last 5 minutes. These go back to 2008. What is wrong with this company that they have ignored these complaints for all these years? I guess it will take a tragedy to bring them to their senses. Thankfully it wasn't mine. As someone mentioned, I urge everyone to post their stories on all websites they can think of. Even if you didn't purchase through them (i.e. Amazon, CPSC, etc.). I'm also posting on Consumer Reports and Consumer Affairs. We've got to get the word out.

Original review: May 12, 2012

I have a Cuisinart Coffeemaker, DCC-1200C, Ser# 91028. This morning it brewed normally and then started to make sounds like it was brewing again. I noticed an acrid smell, like wiring burning, then saw smoke coming from the back of the unit where the wire comes out. I unplugged the coffeemaker and brought it outside. This sounds like a serious problem!

Original review: May 6, 2012

I was given your Grind & Brew Thermal 10-cup Automatic Coffeemaker DGB-650 last year as a birthday gift. It worked well for about a week, then it began to leak from time to time. What a mess and what a crummy way to start your day, especially at 5:15AM. I assumed I was doing something wrong, like putting in too much water or coffee so I made adjustments. It did not make a difference. It still leaked all over, discoloring my kitchen cabinets. It also started to make strange noises like the electrical was not right. I brought it back thinking it was a fluke and traded it in for another one just like it.

The new one worked great for a week then it started to leak all over. Frustrated, I posted my issue on Facebook. I'd like to think your company would be surprised at how many people I knew had similar problems with their Cuisinart coffeemakers. Then I was sent a link that showed your company is aware of this problem, but continues to sell this piece of crap. I will never buy another Cuisinart product as long as I live.

Original review: May 6, 2012

Our Cuisinart coffeemaker (Model: DCC-1200 / Serial Number: 91120) got caught on fire. An hour or so after brewing a pot of coffee, we noticed that the Cuisinart was making an unusual noise as if it was starting to brew again. We found that it was beginning to smoke at the base with a very acrid, electrical smell. The warming plate had changed color as if the high heat was melting the base. With the smoke beginning to pour out, we quickly unplugged and walked the coffeemaker outside and set it on cement. We were in the kitchen when it happened and I can't imagine if we went out to walk our dog and came back later.

Original review: May 3, 2012

I purchased my Cuisinart CBC-00 1 year ago. Recently, while brewing a pot of coffee, it began to make loud popping sounds and smoke poured from the cord storage compartment opening. There was a strong smell of electrical fire as well. I immediately unplugged and removed the machine from the house; it continued to emit smoke for at least another 2 minutes. I have contacted Cuisinart by email and described the episode, but have had no response from them. I believe this issue has the potential to be extremely hazardous. If I had not been present at the time to notice the noise and the smoke, I strongly believe a fire would have ensued.

Original review: April 27, 2012

Cuisinart coffeemaker is a fire hazard. While brewing a pot of coffee this morning, my Cuisinart DGB-700BC Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup automatic began to produce smoke from the underside and/or rear of the unit. It also produced a strong odor of an electrical fire and/or smoldering. Looking closer, it appears that the heat pad ring area is warped.

When I noticed the smoke/odor, I immediately unplugged the appliance. I saw no flame, however. The coffeemaker continued to smoke and produce a strong odor. I removed it from the house and sat it outside. Turning to a Google search, cursory online research suggests Cuisinart coffeemakers (other models, too) are the target of more than a few fire-related consumer complaints. Several websites I read included consumer remarks that, when contacted, Cuisinart customer service representatives said they had no previous such reports. But if the incidents are as plentiful as the internet suggests, this would doubtlessly fall under the "known problem" category. My coffeemaker was less than two years old. I am uncertain of my options if any as I cannot find my original receipt.

Original review: April 26, 2012

Our coffee burned up this morning. My husband made coffee and when it was done, the machine just started smoking. I really liked this machine. Why would Cuisinart put such a poor product out there?

Original review: April 16, 2012

I purchased a Coffee Plus 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker with Hot Water System as a Christmas gift (bought it November 2011) for my husband and we were noticing that you had to wiggle the cord to have the light turn on the coffee maker, as if there was a short in the cord or something. This morning, my husband went to make a pot of coffee and there were sparks. The coffee maker is now sitting on a shelf in the garage while we wait to hear back from Cuisinart to see how they are going to take care of this. I actually got online to see if there were any recalls on this item and found this site. I will investigate further to see if there has been a recall. If there hasn’t, there should be. I e-mailed customer service about 4 hours ago and have not heard anything back as of yet.

Original review: April 13, 2012

I had purchased my Cuisinart Keurig one cup coffee maker approximately 1 1/2 yrs ago and loved it. All of a sudden, it started to not work by pouring out more water after the chosen cup sizes were finished and then pouring out water from where the pod fits in. I called Cuisinart, they said they would send me a new coffee maker, model #SS-700. I had to pay for shipping in an enclosed check.

Got the coffee maker, washed it, I was filling up the water well. It started leaking from the hole in the bottom. Now, they have to send me another one. I was so upset as I was happy to have my great coffee back. This is a tremendous inconvenience for me and I have to say that these machines should be perfected and should be able to last for a much longer time. I am trying to be patient but it's wearing thin. Now, I have two coffee makers to ship back and still have to wait for another one that will hopefully be working and so I am left to make instant coffee for at least 2-3 weeks. Not right, not fair!

Original review: April 12, 2012

I am really upset by the customer service of Cuisinart. I bought an Elite Collection 12-cup food processor about 3 months ago and its adjustable blade was broken while slicing meat. I called customer service a couple of days ago and explained that I heard that it could be covered by the warranty. But the representative said the system has some problem, so she asked me to call back again. I called back again, but the representative today said it cannot be covered by the warranty. I explained that the meat was half-frozen, which I means it was not too tender or too solid. They said it was my fault because the meat was frozen.

I explained to them it was half-frozen, not very solid and not very soft. I told them "half-frozen" from the first, but they said I told them "frozen" first and changed my words. I don't know if they (another representative and her manager) have used the machine or not, but we cannot slice meat if the meat is completely frozen. After some arguments, the manager said I should send them the broken part and they will judge if it was my fault or if it was product defect. I don't think it is fair. Once I send it to them, then I don't have the proof anymore. But she said there is no choice. I feel really bad about the time I wasted by waiting to talk with them only to hear this kind of unreasonable explanation. What should I do?

Original review: April 12, 2012

I ordered a Cuisinart Perfect Temp cordless Kettle (CPK-17) from Amazon. It worked good for a month and then stopped working. I called customer service, and they told me it's probably a base and it needs to be replaced. They asked my address and told me to call in 2 weeks. 2 weeks after, I called, and another person told me that the base is in back order and will be shipped in 2 weeks but that if it's still not there, the company will replace all unit.

After I called again, they lost all my previous records about my case and told me to wait 2 more weeks as unit is back-ordered. I asked if they could send me a new unit. The person on the phone was very rude, but in a while, he told me he cancelled my part order and will ship a unit but that I need to pay $15 for a new unit plus ship them the old one.

So with a kettle price that I paid about $130, I need to pay $30+ to get their defected item fixec! I said I still like to wait for the part as it was free to ship, but the customer service person told me he cancelled it already. So I wasted 30 minutes on the phone, was very angry, and going to talk to management tomorrow. Please do not buy from this company!

Original review: April 12, 2012

I was using a Cuisinart Smart Stick Blender to make a whey protein shake. I unplugged and disassembled it per instructions and took it to the sink to clean it. While running my left thumb around the edge of the blade housing (to clean off excess shake before rinsing), something happened--the blade apparently snapped as it was imbedded in my thumb.

Long story short, I had an emergency room visit and 8 stitches, precluding me from working for two weeks. Cuisinart wants the blender, so they can test it before agreeing to reimburse me for anything. I understand that, but it's in their best interest to find no fault with their product and they have already presented their selves as incompetent, as they can't even figure out how to mail me a claim form.

Original review: April 8, 2012

Our DCC1200 Coffee Maker had been on for approximately 1 hour. While preparing for church, Easter morning, my wife and I encountered a horrible smell coming from the kitchen. Being in the electronics field I immediately recognized this as an electrical problem. When I first observed the coffee maker it appeared to be off but I noticed the clock was not illuminated. Further investigation and found that the bottom of the glass pot had been burnt. After reading all of the consumer complaints of this product, it is clear that the manufacturer is aware of this and should be held liable for their failure to issue any consumer warnings or product recalls. My wife and I have purchased a number of Cuisinart appliances for our home and children over the years. After reading the numerous complaints for the same problem, we will not purchase another Cuisinart product.

Original review: March 31, 2012

Cuisinart food processor caught on fire. Literally, there was fire out the vents. I returned the defective base and paid for shipping. They sent a replacement "as a onetime courtesy. Please remit $10.00 for the return shipping and handling."

Original review: March 31, 2012

I purchased the Cuisinart DCC 1100 coffee maker. A plastic burning smell filled my home. I pulled the plug and placed it outside to avoid a fire. This coffee maker should be recalled.

Original review: March 30, 2012

I have been using my CuisinArt DCC-1200 that I bought from Bed, Bath and Beyond, almost every morning since 2007. It brewed the best coffee until a few days ago; while brewing, it made a series of unusual loud popping noise. Usually aroma of coffee would fill the air, but not anymore. Brewed coffee has a weird plastic taste. I am surprised to find out many people are having problem with this unit. I am blessed that mine didn't caught on fire like many others. Immediately, I unplugged my unit and tossed it to trash. There is no way I am keeping this defective fire hazard.

Original review: March 27, 2012

My coffeemaker with stainless steel pot has burnt my countertop and it cannot be replaced. I unplug my coffeemaker each time I finish brewing my coffee. Thank goodness I do not as it could have burnt my kitchen or yet our home. I feel you all owe me a new coffeemaker—the sooner, the better.

Original review: March 26, 2012

I used Cuisinart DCC1200 coffee maker this morning. While finishing my first cup, I heard crackling sounds from the coffee maker. I got up to see what was going on and then sparks were coming from unit and smoking. My husband immediately took outside to prevent a fire. The horrific plastic burning smell was awful. I promptly then started to read online complaints about the unit leaking and same issues that I had.

I called Cuisinart Customer Service and they took my information and a supervisor is to call me back. My concern is this seems to be an issue for many customers. Why hasn't Cuisinart made a recall? If I had not been home, it would have definitely caused a fire. This is not my first unit that had an issue. Cuisinart replaced the first one because of water leaking. Apparently this time, it leaked on to the electrical plate. Shame on Cuisinart for having Chinese made products that are so poorly made that it is a fire hazard. I paid good money for what I thought was a quality coffee maker. Boy was I wrong.

Original review: March 24, 2012

We have had this blender for a while, and it has never worked great. But this morning, I started making a smoothie, and the contents started pouring down the sides of the blender, coming from under the glass pitcher. So I guess we are officially out a blender! We had to have Cuisinart replace the rotating wedge piece that turns the blade, right after we purchased the machine. But even with that replaced, it never blends anything! Anything frozen just gets stuck at the bottom and causes the blade not to turn. It takes 20 minutes to finally get anything resembling a smoothie. It's very disappointing, considering what we paid for it!

Original review: March 23, 2012

Grind and Brew thermal coffee maker (model number DGB-6008C): This coffee maker is a piece of junk. Do not buy a Cuisinart anything! First, it won't work if the flow interrupter is still in place. I had to remove the stopper and spring on the second use. Then the basket door pops open at random times, flooding my kitchen with hot brown water (half-brewed coffee) and coffee grounds.

I am a fix-it kind of guy and have dissembled the thing many times to find no apparent reason for the malfunction. This thing needs to be watched at all times--who needs a coffee maker that has to be babysat? I enjoy fresh ground coffee, and I wanted a thermal carafe to save energy. However, the piece of junk has cost me more in wasted coffee (which is costly to begin with) than if I had driven to the nearest Starbucks (25 miles) and bought a Grande Latte every day!

Not to mention, the stained counter and floor in my kitchen plus the massive aggravation, when all I want is a cup of coffee to start my day. I think I will package this thing up and send it (postage due) back to Cuisinart. What they do with it is up to them. I highly suggest they place it on the CEO's desk and attempt to brew coffee!

Cuisinart Company Information