2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.23/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Cuisinart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

I'm stunned to read others describe very similar scenario in recent weeks. Sunday morning, reading the paper, we hear gurgling sound coming from DC1200 coffee maker (turned off). I smelled burning. Coffee is boiling in pot. I unplugged it, and smoke was coming out of base at rear. I took it outside, and I turned it upside down to see smoke coming out of bottom. Thank goodness, we were home and have granite countertops, as noted in other post. Will contact Cuisinart first thing tomorrow. I've loved this coffeemaker (my third one in 12 years). But this one could have burned down the house with dogs inside. Where is the recall?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2012

We purchased the DCC-1200 from the Navy Exchange on April 7, 2011. This morning (October 20, 2012) after the coffee pot finished its brew cycle and being turned off for about 20 minutes, I heard crackling sounds coming from the coffeemaker! The bottom heat plate was extremely hot and smoking. I quickly pulled the plug and took the unit outside where the smoke continued to billow out. Thankfully, we were home or... Reading the other reviews, this is not an isolated problem, and I'm wondering if I leave the "attorney to contact me" box checked, will this perhaps result in a class action suit or at least wake Cuisinart up?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

This morning, I made a pot of coffee on my Cuisinart CBC-00 and while it was brewing, I heard a popping sound and I started to smell smoke. When I went to see what the issue was, the coffee in the pot was boiling and when I removed it, the heating plate below was glowing red hot and smoking. I immediately unplugged the coffeemaker and took it outside where it continued to burn from the inside. There was smoke coming out of the bottom and back hole where the electric cord comes out and I could smell plastic burning. In order to extinguish the burning, I had placed the unit in the sink and submerged it in water.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2012

My DCC-1100 coffeemaker started smoking this morning and it smelled very burned out. I got it outside to avoid additional odors and problems. I believe it is under warranty. How do I seek replacement?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

Cuisinart DCC-1100C coffeemaker: My husband and I were reading the morning paper when I suddenly heard a loud sizzling noise coming from the kitchen. When I looked, our coffeemaker was emitting smoke and a strong smell of burning plastic. I pulled the plug, removed the carafe and basket, and turned the unit on its side on the counter. The metal plate on the bottom was extremely hot and smoking. The burning smell continued for about 5 minutes. If we hadn't been home and the counter hadn't been granite, I shudder to think of what might have happened! I called the customer support line, was told that the coffeemaker was still under warranty and to return the base unit to the service center in Ontario (at my expense, of course) and to expect a replacement base unit in a couple of weeks. I agree with others that there should be a recall on this product. I'm also ticked off that I have to pay for shipping the defective unit back to Cuisinart!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

Our Cuisinart DCC-1200 Coffee Maker started sparking this morning and then started smoking. Then, it stopped working. We unplugged it. It was a good thing we were home. It could have set the house on fire.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2012

Less than a year ago, I bought a Cuisinart DCC750 coffeemaker from JC Penny. This morning, it started snapping and popping. Then, it started smelling like burnt plastic and an electrical fire. We immediately unplugged it. It actually burned itself up. I cannot believe it has not been recalled since so many are having the same issue. This is my second Cuisinart I have had issues with. With this one I also could not pour the coffee without spilling it all over due to an issue with the lid. This will be the last Cuisinart I will ever own!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

I just read all the reviews with the same issues, burning plate/element, very lucky we were close. I can't believe this company hasn't sent out a recall on these DCC 750 coffee makers. I absolutely will never buy another Cuisinart product again and I will let everyone I know, if they have one, to get rid of it.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

I've had this Cuisinart Coffee Maker for about a year and a half. I have been very happy with it until this morning. I was drinking my second cup of coffee when I heard this loud cracking/popping sound. It was my coffee maker. I quickly unplugged it, then started smelling wires burning and the bottom of the maker was smoking. I feel very fortunate that I was in the kitchen when this happened. I'm afraid to use this product brand again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

Yesterday, September 23, we made coffee as usual in our 3 year old Cuisinart DCC-1200 coffee maker. After pouring a cup, I went onto the porch to read the paper. I heard a loud grumbling noise from the coffee maker and saw smoke coming from the kitchen. My spouse ran into the kitchen and saw that the unit was smoking and burning. There was an acrid burning plastic smell. Thankfully, we were right there and were able to attend to the problem so there was no actual fire. But had we been elsewhere in the house, there may have been an actual fire from this unit. Having read other reviews, it sure looks like this coffee maker series has a problem and needs to be addressed by Cuisinart. How does one initiate a request for a recall?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

My wife and I bought a Cuisinart coffee maker, DCC-1150, about 15 months ago (maybe less) as I do not have the receipt any longer. We bought it at Lowes or Bed, Bath & Beyond. I can’t recall which retailer. This morning it made coffee; we use it on the automatic timer every morning. The coffee had finished brewing, and the warming plate had been on for about 45 minutes. I went upstairs to get ready for the day. Soon after, my wife came home from her morning workout and yelled upstairs that the coffee maker was smoking, sparking, and making noises. As I came downstairs, the kitchen was filled with smoke and that disgusting burning/melting plastic smell. Our fire/smoke alarm went off, so we opened up our windows and fanned the smoke alarm to turn it off. The coffee maker was ready to start a fire. My wife immediately unplugged it from the outlet and put it out in our garage. What a morning!

Hopefully, this is an isolated incident. But this is, or could be, a potentially huge problem for you. Just imagine what could have happened had we not been home or around to act quickly. I’d like someone to contact me. I’m not so sure I want a replacement machine. I can send the coffee maker to you for your engineers to look over if needed. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2012

Cuisinart DC-1200 coffeemaker - After the coffeemaker was done making, a few minutes later I heard hissing and popping from the maker and went to look at it. Smoke was coming out of it, just like many of the complaints listed here. I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They were here this morning and I was told that if you want a recall on this product, you must contact them and give your coffeemaker to them. Do not give it back to Cuisinart!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2012

This morning as my husband started our morning coffee using our Cuisinart DCC750 maker, he heard this noise and looked. There was smoke coming out of the back of the bottom of the maker. It smelled electrical. We are concerned too that there are so many complaints and yet no recalls. This could have been very serious had we not been standing there as a witness to this incident. Who will finally listen before someone is hurt? We have used Cuisinart for years. I have written the company and will wait for a reply. Not sure if I would use their product again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

Soon after buying this quite expensive coffee maker (Cuisinart DCC 2750), it began leaking increasing amounts of coffee from under the unit, spilling onto the floor. The coffeemaker also appears to have overheated and the paint from the burner is flaking off. It was also difficult to get the lid to adjust correctly to pour the coffee. I will never buy another Cuisinart product again!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2012

The warming plate arced, caught fire, and melted: I've had this unit for no more than a year, and this morning, just after my morning brew, I heard a strange popping sound and smelled melting plastic. I ran into the kitchen to see the warming plate red hot and melting the plastic with tons of smoke pouring out. Ironically, it was raining outside from the remnants of Hurricane Isaac, so I used that to put out the fire that had started in the unit. Now my kitchen reeks of burned plastic. Suffice to say that I'm very disappointed by this. I've used Cuisinart for 20 years and never seen this kind of problem, which is indicative of very poor quality.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

I was in a nearby room when I heard a gurgling, popping sound. I came into the kitchen to find my Cuisinart DCC-1200 coffee maker smoking from the bottom and producing a horrible electrical burning smell. I immediately unplugged the unit and rushed it outside. I moved too quickly to notice if the unit had automatically turned itself off. After waiting for the unit to cool, I inspected it. The problem appears to be in the area of the heating element and it has a definite electrical burn smell. I’m surprised and disappointed to find this site with so many similar failures and yet no recall. I was very fortunate to have been home and inside when this occurred. Else, I would have had a fire in my home. I will not be purchasing another Cuisinart. I will be reviewing this in our next staff meeting to warn co-workers.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

After brewing a pot of coffee and while reading the paper, I heard a popping noise in the kitchen and noticed the smell of an electrical fire. When I went into the kitchen, I saw that the noise and smell were coming from the coffee maker (CBC-00 Series). I immediately unplugged it. I was extremely thankful that I was in the next room and was able to remove the coffee maker before there was a fire.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2012

The DCC-1200 coffeemaker emitted terrible smell and noise before black smoke billowed out of all cracks. I unplugged, had to use oven mitts to remove off the counter and threw outside! The unit was blackened, obviously from internal fire! I contacted Cuisinart and they're going to send a replacement without any questions! Makes you wonder how many others have done this as well if they were aware of the problem and did not notify the public. Please, if you have had similar problems, register with the Consumer Product Safety Commissioner. That is the only way to force a manufacturer to issue a recall! www.ctsc.gov or call 1-800-638-2772.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2012

I brewed a pot of coffee like normal yesterday morning. About an hour after the pot finished brewing, I heard a splattering noise in the kitchen. It sounded like eggs frying in a hot pan of butter. I found that the sound was coming from my coffee maker. The coffee was boiling! Smoke was billowing out from the burner. The smell was awful. The on/off light was not on. I switched the lever back and forth and the light wouldn't come on. It looked off but the boiling continued until I unplugged the coffee maker. We will not use it again. I hope you will recall the coffee maker before someone's house burns down. I am so thankful I was home when the incident happened. This coffee maker has an auto shut off feature, but it failed and can't be trusted in the future.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2012

I had started my morning coffee and went out to feed the birds and squirrels. After about 20 minutes, I came back in the house, heard popping and snapping noises, and found the Cuisinart DCC 1200 coffeemaker overheating. The bottom plate was red hot, and smoke was coming out. I pulled the plug and ran it outside. Reading all these similar complaints makes me furious that we have a known problem. It's been happening for a couple of years, and no one is being warned. Since this happened on my day off, I was here to keep my house from burning down.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2012

Like many others I've now read about, our DCC 1200 coffeemaker was auto programmed and after an hour, I was making breakfast and noticed a burning smell (not my eggs!) and heard a weird crackling/popping noise. I looked around to find it was coming from the coffeemaker! I unplugged it and took it out to the garage. I was thankful that I was up and caught it before it could've have caused a fire and put my family in jeopardy. My concern is that after reading all of the complaints, this is a known problem and for as many people have complained on websites, there are many others who probably had this problem, but didn't take the time. Why has this not been recalled? I urge you to take further steps. Contact the manufacturer (but do not take a replacement!), leave a comment here, contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission and take the time to log a complaint.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2012

This morning, my wife noticed our Cuisinart (Model: DCC-1200) coffeemaker smoking and the coffee in the pot was boiling. However, the power light was off. She quickly unplugged it and we moved it from the house to the driveway. This is the same problem experienced by many others regarding this model of Cuisinart coffeemaker.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2012

We have a DCC-1200 coffeemaker that was turned off. The ring got red hot and started smoking similar to the above complaints. We had the coffeemaker for many years. I called Cuisinart and they offered to send a new one free of charge, shipping and handling free. I'm not sure I am comfortable using it because it is not worth having my home burn down. I was told this coffeemaker is still being sold. We have gotten our money’s worth out of the coffeemaker, so I don't feel cheated but I am not willing to sit back and allow someone to get hurt. To everyone who complained: did you take the time to file a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission?

You can vent here, but that only helps a few people who look this up before buying. We applaud our hero servicemen that fight for us - well, here is your chance to fight for all humankind by getting this dangerous product recalled. You too can save lives and be a hero just by taking a few minutes to file a report at 1-800-638-2772. I did it and it really only took a few minutes. The more who file, the better the chance it will get recalled. Someone's home could burn down with their children in it. Do the right thing.

Original review: July 29, 2012

My Cuisinart coffeemaker (DCC-1200) is about a year old and quits brewing and shuts off when about halfway done. I paid a lot of money for this piece of junk!

Original review: July 26, 2012

I bought a Cuisinart DCC-1200 for my mother, and later, one for myself. My mother's coffee maker started leaking water from the back or base; mine made a gurgling noise one morning and hasn't made a cup of coffee since. At least, it didn't catch on fire! Both of these machines were around a year old when they stopped working. I gave approximately $100 for each one. I thought Cuisinart was a top name brand with quality. However, I will never buy another Cuisinart product. They don't last and seem to have serious design concerns. After reading these reviews, I did not bother to contact Cuisinart. Apparently, they won't help with these issues. I'll just take my money elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2012

Cuisinart coffeemakers model DGB600BC - Although after reading numerous similar complaints, it appears that most models have the same issue. Buyer and owner beware! Wish I read this site's complaints before I purchased. Same issues. First, Cuisinart coffeemaker almost burned the house down. It melted the power cord and coffee pot. Second Cuisinart coffeemaker just stopped working. Both just outside of warranty period. No more Cuisinart for me. They do not even have the decency to recall the crap. I hope that no one loses life or home, but I am surprised this has not happened yet.

Original review: July 10, 2012

We've had our CuisinArt coffee pot for years. I never had a problem until this morning. Thank God, I came in from the porch for a second cup. First thing I noticed was the smell (electrical). Second thing was the coffee was boiling. (The coffee never boils.) Third thing was the coffee pot had turn itself off. The clock was off. I immediately unplugged the unit. My house stunk. My husband makes his coffee every night before going to bed. Imagine what could have happened in the middle of the night?! It scares me. Then, I read all these other stories. Why in the world is this unit still being sold? What the heck? I'm not looking for any money back. We've totally gotten our money's worth out of the unit. It's been a terrific coffee pot until this morning. I think I'll go back to good old Mr. Coffee.

Original review: July 5, 2012

I walked in from my deck for another cup of coffee this morning and observed my Cuisinart coffee maker with a red hot warming plate and white smoke coming out the back of the unit. I took the unit outside and placed it on the driveway (still there). Initially, I was dissatisfied and also surprised that a Cuisinart product just about a year old would be defective and even dangerous. I am now angry after reading review after review of these coffee makers starting an electrical short and fire. I think Cuisinart should step up and recall this product before someone gets hurt. Thank God, I was home for the 4th.

Original review: June 26, 2012

The coffee in my Cuisinart 12-cup coffee maker pot started making bubbling sounds and when I went to investigate, it was boiling and smoke started coming from the bottom. I unplugged it and put it out on the deck. The smell was that of an electrical fire. It could have been disastrous if we were not in the room at the time.

Original review: June 15, 2012

I called Cuisinart CS twice and was not treated well. Sears showed interest, but has not done anything and Cuisinart just don't care. At no point did I request a refund and I will not pay shipping back to company for the warranty. They did waive the $10.00 handling fee because of my situation. I do not want another Cuisinart product because Google and Youtube are full of info on fires in their products:

There was a problem with my Cuisinart coffeemaker and I possibly averted a major disaster which involved one of your products. I purchased this model brand new from Sears in October 2011 and used it on a daily basis. Last night, Friday, 6/8/12, while in the process of shutting the house down for the night, I turned off the coffeemaker. Approximately 45 minutes later, my wife and I noticed the house getting hazy and a smell of something burning. I arose out of the bed to investigate and traced the problem to the mentioned coffeemaker.

The machine was off and the lower part, including the warmer and the metal grid underneath, was blazing hot and 1/2 pot of old coffee was boiling. Smoke was coming from the rear of the unit by electrical cord. My Formica counter top luckily was able to withstand the intense heat generated by the faulty appliance for which I caught the problem just in time and threw the machine on the patio. I am extremely disappointed with their product and I thank God that me and my family are safe today to speak about it. I don't know what I am going to do because I feel that the consumer safety groups should inspect my machine and get their opinion so that this problem may not turn into a tragedy for someone else. My serial number is 91210 and the model is Cuisinart DCC-1100bk.

Cuisinart Company Information