Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Cuisinart Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

Coffee pot started to smoke from the back of the machine where the plug is. It has an awful smell. This is so dangerous I cannot believe they haven't had a recall.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2012

My husband and I were reading the paper when we heard a boiling noise (coffee in the carafe was boiling away), by a few seconds later, smoke was pouring out of the base of the coffee pot (stainless steel less than 2 years old, made good coffee). Strong burning plastic smell, heavy smoke, carried it outside. If it had been unattended, our whole house could have burnt down.

I emailed Cuisinart but have never even heard back from them. I would warn anyone with this pot not to leave it plugged in unless you are in the same room. Two or three minutes later, we could have had a massive house fire. I used to leave it on when I went to work in the morning because it had an automatic shut off. We are so lucky this happened on a weekend.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2012

This morning my 1 1/2 year old Cuisinart coffee brewer started smoking from the bottom. I quickly turned it off but the smoke and popping increased. I unplugged it and ran outside to put it in the driveway where it continued to smoke for about 8 minutes. After checking online, it looks like they won't recall this product until it burns down houses and/or causes deaths.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

I purchased a DCC-1200 series coffee maker on December 1, 2010. Until this morning, I was extremely pleased. My husband went to the kitchen for a refill and the coffee in pot was boiling, smell of burning wires permeating kitchen. It was unplugged from the wall, carafe was put in the sink, and the offending unit was removed to the outside.

At first, I thought it was a freak accident. No problem, I have the receipt, and it's under warranty. But after reading other complaints on this site, there will be no replacement requested from Cuisinart, except for our purchase price! Incredible that so many complaints, all within the same time frame from purchase to poof, can go unnoticed by Cuisinart. I will also contact Lowe's to alert them of a definite problem with any remaining units they may have in stock. Like everyone else, I was disappointed and back to the old reliable Mr. Coffee.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

Our Cuisinart coffee maker, model DCC-1200 just started to smoke where the wire comes out of the back of the machine. This occurred just as it finished brewing a pot of coffee. We immediately unplugged it, but it smoked for several minutes after that. We let it cool down and tried to plug it back in, but it now doesn't work. Luckily, there was no other damage to the kitchen other than the loss of the coffee maker.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2012

In rating this, Cuisinart does not deserve a star, but I had to chose at least one star. You need to put on this form "negative stars"! This is a copy of a letter I email to Cuisinart: "We made our pot of coffee as usual today and after the pot was finished brewing and before we served from it, it made a popping sound. The sound was much like the noise it makes if there is moisture on the bottom of the glass server, but much louder. It caught my attention and as I looked over at the pot I saw smoke coming out of the bottom. At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing. By the time I went over to unplug it the smoke was rolling out and I could hardly breath. It seemed to get worse even as I unplugged it and it was evident it was on fire. The smoke got worse and we put it in the sink to run water on it. Needless to say that stopped the smoke."

We have the receipt. What is required to get a replacement? Or refund? We are worried that this is a defect and should be reexamined by your company to determine if this is cause for a recall on this unit design. Had we not been in the room we feel we would have had a full scale fire on our hands.

Our serial number is CM 91217, DCC1200 purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond, April 29, 2011.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2012

I had my Cuisinart DC-1100 coffee maker for exactly one year. I did my normal routine of making a pot of coffee this Sunday morning. Just after the pot of coffee was make and before I could even grab a cup of coffee the machine started smoking and filled the kitchen with burnt electrical smell. The whole machine was smoking and you could tell there was a fire inside of it. I rushed it out to the patio where we had to run the garden hose over the machine to stop all the smoke that was coming out.

Wrote to Cuisinart about the issue but did not request a replacement. Why would I want something that could have burnt my house down like all the other complaints I am reading on this website? They really should recall this product. Glad it was Sunday and we were around the kitchen making breakfast instead of doing other things in which we may not have caught the fire in time.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2012

I bought my Cuisinart 12-cup coffee maker series (Model DCC-1200) in November of 2010. As of January 6th, 2012 my coffee maker started smoking and burned up. I only owned this maker for 13 months.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2012

I purchased Cuisinart 12-cup programmable coffeemaker model DCC-1100 in November 2010. Serial #00323. Today while I was cleaning the kitchen after breakfast, I smelled an electrical burning smell that kept getting stronger and stronger. Although our coffee maker was "OFF" but still plugged in, it was getting hotter and hotter with steam coming out of the back and the coffee remaining in the pot was almost boiling! The counter top underneath was very hot and luckily it did not melt too! Had I not been right there when this happened, it would have burned my kitchen that we just remodeled last year. I would urge Cuisinart to recall this model!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

This morning my Cuisinart DGB-500 series coffeemaker starting making sputtering noises and emitted burning electrical odor. I went to the coffeemaker and noticed that coffee boiling in the carafe and smoke coming from the area where the cord is inserted into the body of the machine. I immediately unplugged it and put it outside so it didn't burn my house down. I did an internet search to see if there had been a recall issued and was surprised to find a large number of people had the exact same experience as I did. Add another one to the list. I will never buy another Cuisinart coffeemaker again. This was a very scary experience. Thank goodness I was in the same room as the coffeemaker when it happened. I shudder to think what could have happened.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

I have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 Coffeemaker, purchased 14 months ago. It has a 3 year warranty. After brewing coffee and letting it sit on warm, it started clicking and then smoke started billowing out of it. I unplugged it from electricity, but the smoke continued. We had to run it outside because it could have started our kitchen on fire.

We called Cuisinart and they had no record of any issues with machine. They would only replace our machine with the exact same machine, with no improvements concerning smoke & fires. We mentioned reading about this exact issue online and asked for the customer service agent's manager. I sat on hold for a time, but they will replace it with a different model. We have to pay shipping back to company. Hope it's better and won't burn our home down. They should really recall this coffe maker or keep records of complaints.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

We purchased our Cuisinart DCC 1100 in June of 2011. While preparing breakfast this morning on new year's day, we noticed first a sizzling sound and then the awful smell from something electrical burning. It turned out to be an electrical fire in our DCC 1100. Glad we were home when it happened. I wonder why a recall has not been instituted.

Won't be returning the unit for a replacement, we have to pay postage and then prepay $10.00 for return shipping and handling. After reading other complaints, it appears we'd just receive another defective unit as a replacement. We will take the money and apply it to the purchase of some other brand. The greater question is why would I buy other Cuisnart small appliances?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2012

This morning, I made a pot of coffee using my 1.5 year old Cuisinart Classic 12-Cuo DCC-1100 Series coffee maker. I happened to be sitting in the next room in front of my computer. I heard popping noises coming from the kitchen. I thought it was my ice maker, but I stepped into the kitchen just to make sure. By then the coffee maker was smoking and my kitchen was filled with an electrical/plastic burning smell. I immediately unplugged the pot, removed the carafe and placed the smoking pot out on my deck.

This could have been disastrous. I calculate that it was seconds away from the pot bursting into flames. I was fortunate that this was a Sunday, because like another post, I usually grab a cup of coffee and head for the shower. I was appalled when I discovered the complaints on this website. I am reporting this to the U.S. Product Safety Commission. I urge others to do the same before someone loses everything in a fire, or worse, someone is killed. Happy New Year Cuisinart! You dodged a bullet again.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2011

Two years ago, we bought our Cuisinart grind/brew coffee maker to replace a Mr Coffee machine which had served us well for over 25 years. Today, the Cuisinart began popping and smoking. My wife saw what was going on and quickly ran and took the pot off the warmer and noticed it was glowing red. She quickly unplugged it and ran out the back door to get it out of the house.

Shame really, we paid $169.00 for this unit which was to be an upgrade for our remodeled kitchen. After finding so much about this particular brand of coffee maker having an alarming number of fires and malfunctions, we will not be buying another one from this company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2011

Poor success purchased 3 DCC-1100 models each quit before warranty. Ran out last one on 12-27-2011, popped, cracked and began to smoke up the house. On 12-22011, I purchased new one. When opened up box, it had broken charcoal filter holder. Promptly, I called customer service and was told no problem and no recall was in effect. Poor product. Everyone cannot be wrong. This product should be pulled from shelves.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2011

Like so many others, our Cuisinart DCC-1200 (roughly 18 months old) began to crackle then the smell of an electrical fire and smoke poured out of the bottom of the unit. Thankfully, we were home and standing right there and were able to remove it before it caught fire. I called Cuisinart customer service and asked if they knew of any issues with this model to which he said "none." I mentioned that they may want to check the web as hundreds if not thousands have had the same problem. Their customer service was worthless and I will never buy another Cuisinart coffee pot.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2011

The expensive coffee pot leaks and doesn’t produce full pot of coffee. Mine is out of warranty. But there seems to be multiple people with similar issue that are in warranty, but can't get replacement unless they claim to clean it with vinegar every 1-2 months.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

I bought a Cuisinart coffee maker with a 3-year warranty. It worked great for 2 years and all of a sudden stopped working. I was not a heavy coffee drinker, so not much use. I called to get a warranty with RMA but the woman I spoke to asked me how often I run vinegar and water through to clean it. I said about every 6 months. She said it would not be covered because I must do that every 1 to 2 months. After hanging up I checked the manual. Neither the warranty nor cleaning and maintenance sections cover that.

The decalcification section states it should be cleaned periodically with vinegar and water. This is clearly a means to prevent having to replace anything under warranty. Unfortunately I had already replaced it with another of the same model. For something that costs $49 (probably $20 their cost), they lost my business for any Cuisinart product. Very poor business decision. Walking it to the dumpster now.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2011

I purchased my first Cuisinart Coffee Maker and I'm extremely disappointed! After using about two weeks, it began to not make coffee due to coffee grinds somehow blocking where the coffee drains into pot. This causes a backup of water in the coffee grind basket, which in turn runs all over the counter. Obviously, I did not keep my receipt in order to return, otherwise it would have gone back. All I can do is let others know this is a terrible product. I will not purchase another Cuisinart.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2011

This is not a complaint, but a request for information. I have a Cuisinart cordless rechargeable hand blender which is perhaps six to seven years old. It no longer will charge enough to blend much of anything. Is there a remedy for this or should I just figure that it has done its work and it is time for a new one? Thanks.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2011

Cusininart coffee maker caught fire. Not only has it not brewed hot coffee for a while, but it has made odd noises for a while. What a lousy machine that cost too much money at Williams-Sonoma.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2011

I purchased a Cuisinart DGB-550 Coffee Maker/Grinder at Macy's (on vacation) in March 2011. I paid $119.00 for it on sale. On December 1, I smelled wires burning and my pot quit. Obviously something overheated in the internal mechanism and the pot died. I was very disappointed. I replaced an old Bunn coffee maker with the Cuisinart. Good thing, I held on to the old Bunn. I pulled it back out and I am still using it. Cuisinart is very overrated and overpriced.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2011

My Cuisinart DCC1200 turned completely off 2 days in a row and on the 2nd day. My coffee pot was completely off and the coffee left in the pot started to boil and sizzle, and the bottom was extremely hot and smoking like crazy. If I wasn't home, my house would have burnt down. I was a little disappointed when I called them, they are sending me the exact same model to replace it. I don't want another one, it's too dangerous.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

I bought my Cuisinart from Kohls Department Store and will never buy another one. When you grind the coffee and water starts to drip into the pot, the coffee basket flies open, and water and coffee goes everywhere. This has ruined my counter top and floor. I’m going back to my Mr. Coffee!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2011

After almost 2 years of using my Cuisinart Grind and Brew DCC790 without any problems, today it caught on fire. Thankfully, I was just a room away when it started and I was able to put the burning appliance outside quickly. After smoke filled my kitchen, I have a distinct burning smell of a plastic that still lingers in the air. If I had gone to the shower after my first morning cup as I usually do instead of starting a load of laundry, I would not have been able to catch the fire so quickly. Reading all the other reported fires of this product, I believe it should be recalled and the public notified about this very dangerous product. Do we have to have a death or a house burned down before this product is recalled?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2011

I have a DCC 1100 model that is 2 years old. We smelled the coffee pot having burning wires the other morning. Luckily no fire came from it. I have another one that is 3 years old that I am using but I am very hesitant to continue with it. I love the coffee but do not want to risk of a fire.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2011

We purchased the DCC 1200 model about a year ago. This morning when I turned it on, the light came on but that was it. The clock works, light works but it will not brew coffee. Thank God it did not catch fire. We pulled out our old coffee pot that we kept. Will not purchase another Cuisinart. Don't want to burn our house down.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2011

Today, my DCC-790 Grind and Brew coffeemaker started smoking from the heat plate. Luckily, I pulled it outside before it could catch fire and do damage. I started researching this online and found hundreds of complaints on this and other models of their coffeemakers smoking and/or catching fire. I called Cuisinart and since it was still under warranty, they offered to replace it but wanted to charge me shipping for both ways! I complained a bit and she offered to pay the shipping to me but I still had to fork over $10 to ship the bad one back. How ludicrous! I asked for a supervisor and Doug came on. After arguing about it a little more, he agreed to cover shipping both ways. While I appreciate Doug's attention to the matter and why I gave the overall rating, it still frightens me that while there have been so many complaints of fires and potential loss of property and life, according to Doug, Cuisinart has not heard of any of these complaints! What needs to be done is to fix this and avoid someone getting hurt?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2011

Just this morning I started to smell smoke and realized it was coming from my coffee pot. I went to pull the plug and the machine kicked off before doing so and smoke was rolling out of the top of it. I took the glass pot off and ran the rest outside in fear of it bursting into flames. I was in tears just thinking about what could have happened, had I not been home. I immediately got online to do some research on the Cuisinart DCC 1100 Coffeemaker and came across this site with the same complaints. Is it going to take someone's house to burn down to pull this model off the shelves or what? I really hope these complaints are not just to vent, but to actually get something done with products that could cause potential harm or death for that matter.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2011

This was our second Cuisinart coffee maker in 1 and 1/2 years. The first one just stopped working when it was almost a year old. Today, our second one started smoking and turned bright red on the metal base. I grabbed the coffee pot off because I feared that it would shatter with the extreme heat. The element had been on high so I turned it to medium. Then a few minutes later, I noticed it had turned itself off. Now, it will not turn back on. It is dead.

Cuisinart Company Information