2. Homeowners
  3. Appliances

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.23/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Cuisinart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: March 12, 2013

When the coffee starts to brew, the coffee overflows and none goes into the carafe at the beginning. The first few times, I took the pot off the heating plate to see if there was any obstruction but I don't find any. Eventually, it goes into the carafe but only after adjusting the lid. After adjusting the lid, it still looks the same. I don't know why it does this. It's like the holes in the lid are blocked but are not. Or is it that the coffee is brewing too fast and can't keep up? Are there similar complaints? I have the automatic, stainless body and stainless carafe, with model number DGB-850 and serial number 20215C.

Original review: March 9, 2013

This is the third and final coffeemaker. While it gets good reviews, it could have burned down my kitchen. The most expensive coffeemaker with the burr grinder turned out to be a lemon (twice). Now, this one starts smoking, boiling the coffee in the carafe, etc. All I can think of is what could have happened if I was outside or the left for work. The most disconcerting part about this is the coffeemaker was not on. In fact, it had recently shut itself off (timer). To hear a popping noise and find it smoking like crazy is scary. I think Cuisinart needs to go back to the drawing board, and everyone else should heed the many warnings on this site. They have far too many smoking/burning coffee makers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

Dear Cuisinart, I have one of your electric grills that I love. The problem is it sets itself on fire (yes, big flames) about every other instance that I use it. I clean it out, but it continues. I live on the 3rd floor of a complex where we are not allowed gas grills or flames. Thus you can see my li'l Cuisinart grill has caused the fireman to show up a few times. I thought you should know so that you might improve this in the future.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2013

I set my coffee maker (2600 Series) to come on automatically every morning. An hour after my coffee brewed, I heard a popping sound and smelled something burning. I run in the kitchen and saw smoke everywhere. It smelled like burning plastic. I immediately unplugged it and ran it outside. I was beyond mad, but thankful I was at home and not in the shower. I remodeled my kitchen last year, so not only am I glad there was no damage done to my countertop or cabinets, thankful I didn't lose my whole house. I was astounded to find that I'm not alone. I can't believe how many people also experienced the same problem. I’m never purchasing Cuisinart products again!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2013

Cuisinart DGB-700series coffee maker - I was sitting waiting for the coffee to get done brewing and it was hissing and then started to smoke and smell of burning wires. I had to put it in the sink and water it down to stop the smoke. I called the company ... They offered to send me a new machine like I want their machine in my house now. I told them no, I didn't want a new one but offered to send the old one back so they could look at it. She said, "Just toss it." Most people, including me, let their coffee makers brew while they shower or do things around the house. If I had done that today, I wouldn't have a house.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2013

This is our second Cuisinart grind and brew thermal 10-cup coffeemaker (DGB-600). The first one started to leak under the coffeemaker during brewing. We love the coffee pot so much that we purchased another one. It makes great coffee, but this one started to do the same thing as the first. When you start to brew the coffee and you move the coffeemaker, there is a pool of water under it. I really love this coffeemaker and the quality of the coffee, but am very worried about buying another Cuisinart if the same thing is going to happen. Is there something you can do to help us? And has this issue been addressed? The warning on the bottom of the coffeepot says do not immerse in water. However, I don't have much of a choice now unless I replace this one. Please convince me to stay with your product.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2013

My Cuisinart DCC790 started smoking yesterday morning with a horrendous chemical smell. I called Cuisinart and their response was they would replace the machine. I told them I do not want another product, but wanted a refund. They refused. They also told me it was up to me to pay for the postage. Not the best customer service.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

Cuisinart Smart Power Duet (Blender/Food Processor) - I have had the blender since 2006 but used it infrequently (less than once per month). When used, it was used for a single milkshake or other similar light duty. I decided to make hummus. After being on for 1-2 minutes, unit began to smoke. I unplugged it and took it outside. I called customer service but was told that there was nothing they could do as it was outside of the 3-year warranty period. Given the infrequent and light use of the product, I am disappointed with this product. We purchased a stick blender as a replacement and are very happy with it.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

12 cup programmable coffee maker - I had this coffee maker for a couple years. This morning, it was programmed as usual and brewed the coffee. And 15 to 30 minutes later, there was a gurgling or hissing sound. When I went to look, it was smoking. I removed the carafe and the heating element was red hot.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2013

I have purchased this model kettle 2 times. The first one began to spark after about 1 year+. I was not sure of their warranty at the time so I purchased the same model on 5/25/12. I have had nothing but problems with their service department since I sent my first complaint. I sent all the numbers on the bottom of the unit. It wasn't good enough. They asked for pictures of the bottom of the kettle. I sent them... Still, it was not good enough. I sent not only pictures of bottom but of the kettle and the purchase order which clearly stated the model and date of purchase. Then they asked if I was mistaken and had another model. So I gave up and called 1-800 # and got a girl who said that I could have a new kettle. Surprise! I had to send money for shipping for their defective product and then send the old kettle back at my expense, about $16 each way. I am so disgusted that I will never buy another Cuisinart product ever! This kettle was an electric hazard. There is no further response from their CS.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2013

Cuisinart 12 cup Programmable Coffee Maker - Our unit had started to turn itself off after completing the brew cycle. The time would vary. Earlier this week, my wife had emptied the pot, turned the unit off and removed the carafe for washing. I walked by a couple of minutes later and discovered the unit was smoking and the heating element was cherry red. I unplugged the unit and took it outside. Thank goodness, we were at home. We normally would have been gone. We have truly enjoyed the performance of the unit but are uncomfortable with the possibility of another disaster. I have contacted Cuisinart customer service and they have advised they will honor the warranty, even though the unit is too old for the standard manufacturer's coverage. I am required to cut off the power cord and ship it to them. This is very different from the other company responses I have seen posted. Perhaps pressure is building and they hope to avoid more serious actions. I am surprised at the number of similar complaints. I will be filing a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Division of the FTC.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2013

Cuisinart 12 cup DCC1100 - I have owned this appliance for about 6 months. I heard a gurgling sound and came to see what was going on. There was a terrible, electrical burning smell and thick smoke was pouring out of the thing. The entire unit was incredibly hot. I unplugged it and took it outside in the snow. If I had not been there, I believe that it would have caught fire and burned the house down. There are many other similar comments on this model and I cannot believe that it is still on the market. It is very unsafe! I have contacted Cuisinart, but only to tell them what happened. I wouldn't have one of these things in my house again for free!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2013

In end of Dec. 2011, I contacted Cuisinart customer service as one of my parts of the electric cookie gun had broken and I was told it was still in warranty. They said they would ship the part end of Jan. as it was on back order. Come April 2012, I realized that I had not received the part, so I called them. They found the order and couldn't figure why it had not shipped, so they shipped it. I received the part, but because the gun was packed away, as I only use it for Christmas, I put it aside. Come Nov 2012, when I went to use the gun, I found out they sent me the wrong part. So I contacted them. On Dec. 10, 2012, I received the wrong part again, this time a shaft, order no. **, so I emailed them.

On Dec. 13, I emailed them to make sure that order no. ** was the shaft adapter, as they said that was the part that had the guides. On Dec. 19, I emailed them again, as the part was just delivered, and again, it was the wrong part. I then emailed them a picture with my finger through the part stating again, that it is the part that moves the dough through the tube and according to their manual on page 4. On Dec. 27, I emailed them as I had not heard anything. On Jan. 9, I received the part again, and again it is wrong. I sent an email, with both the pictures of the one I needed with my finger through it and the one that they sent to me. You can plainly see that the guide on the one with my finger through it is broken away.

On Jan. 13, I received an email, stating that my cookie gun is not under warranty and to go to their link to order parts if I need them. If I ordered the part, and paid for it, I don't think I would get the correct part. Now I have 3 shaft adapters, which I think is the tube cover, and 1 shaft but not the correct part to fix the cookie gun.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2013

I have owned the Cuisinart 7-quart stand mixer for almost 5 years and it has been used about 10 times per year. This afternoon, I made brownies and wiped it down as I always do. It was on the counter next to my sink where I washed the bowl, measuring cup, and attachment. The unit was turned off as I would not have been able to wipe it entirely. Also, being next to me, I would have heard the whirring. I left it plugged in instead of plugging the microwave back in as I usually do. About an hour later, my fire alarm went off and when I went into the kitchen to check out the problem, the bottom of the mixer had flames shooting out. I immediately put it in the sink and got the fire out with just water. The whole interior of the mixer was melted and the cord was almost burned off at the base. Thank goodness, the granite counter didn't sustain any damage from the melted plastic, but the entire downstairs is reeking from the melted plastic stench. I am so disappointed and shocked as I had replaced my Kitchen Aid mixer with this one.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2013

My experience with Cuisinart products is they look nice but are not quality products, are not reliable and are of poor design using inferior materials. Our first coffee maker leaked profusely out the bottom and I was told by customer service it needed cleaning. Yeah, right. The second (replacement) coffee maker occasionally dripped slightly and when I reported this to Cuisinart, they said they never received the returned/defective unit after I sent it to them. I was never informed of any other issues with the unit.

Yesterday, the unit leaked profusely all over the counter and made a huge mess and began buzzing. Online, I found serious complaints and issues with rubber tubing that deteriorates, which likely contributes to the leaking and other more serious electrical problems. We know electricity and water mixing is not safe and we are very concerned about a serious electrical malfunction, as the grind feature wants to "self-operate." Hmmm. So, in view of all the bad reviews, I would think a responsible, safety-conscious business, with customer welfare in mind, would alert its customers to equipment and material shortcomings and potential risk. Apparently, that's not a part of Cuisinart culture. Hold that thought.

My second Cuisinart disappointing experience involves the electric popcorn maker that had both tabs fall off the unit - cheap plastic junk. So, I can only assume from my experience that Cuisinart products are overpriced and not reliable. Incidentally, neither of these products were ever abused or dropped or damaged. I will also not donate either of them to a local thrift store (as I might with a good used item) because I would not want to inadvertently put folks in need at risk. I will never purchase another Cuisinart product.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2013

I was given the Cuisinart DCC1200 coffee maker last year for Christmas and thoroughly loved it until 3 weeks ago. One morning after brewing a pot of coffee as I usually do every morning, I heard a few popping sounds and went over to the coffee maker to find it burning up! I googled the make and brand to find well over 100 complaints about the same issue. I'm very surprised that Cuisinart knew about this problem and never had any recall. I also sent them an email that very day and have never heard a word since then. That was an expensive coffee pot to not even last a year! I'm very disappointed not to have heard anything back as of yet!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2013

This morning, my 8-month-old Cuisinart DC-1200 coffee maker simply died. I called the company and was told that I would have to pay $10 plus the inconvenience and cost of returning the coffee maker to them, and that they would send me a replacement in 7-10 business days, none of which is acceptable to me. First of all, why should I pay one more dime for this faulty product? And secondly, I'd have to purchase another coffee maker to use in the 7-10 business days I'd be forced to wait for the replacement. I said that I wanted a refund so I could buy another brand of coffee maker, but they didn't go for that.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2013

I have a K-cup coffeemaker model SS700NC that would not stop pumping at the end of cycle. The unit was purchased with gift card at Kohl's in Feb of 2012. Well it failed on 12/22/12 and I called Cuisinart to complain. Turns out the pump was a manufacturing defect and should have been returned by the store before I had even gotten it. The rep also informed me it was almost 3 years old! Thanks, Kohl's, for cycling your stock! So she took my info and told me I should receive a replacement unit soon and mentioned nothing else but me being responsible for the return shipping charge. Fine with that. Then it came and I found I was being charged $10 to ship it to me!

What balls to do this to a customer; let alone, it was also defective from manufacturing! I argued with the supervisor with no result and cited that no company would expect to bill you shipping to send the new one to you. As I was not informed of this charge when I talked to the rep, they will not receive it. It was a known defect and I will not pay for it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2012

I had a Cuisinart DCC790 coffee pot which caught fire and I posted on this site. Cuisinart sent me a new replacement unit (Cuisinart DGB700BC). At first, it stopped brewing and shut off 1/4 way through the cleaning pot of water. This morning, I decided to try it again with coffee. It brewed the pot, and the next thing I know, the plate is red hot and smoking. This pot, as my last, is sitting out in the snow. This pot needs to be recalled before it causes a house fire and kills someone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2012

This morning the Cuisinart coffeemaker was on for about an hour when I heard a crackling and popping sound. The next thing I knew, smoke was coming out of the unit with a horrible smell. I was able to get the unit outside, but I hate to think what could have happened. I started looking for problems with this unit on the Internet and I am furious to see that so many people have had the same problem. This unit is extremely dangerous and should have been recalled. I will never buy another Cuisinart coffeemaker.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2012

I own a Cuisinart Brew Central Coffeemaker DCC-1200 and have had it for about 2 years. This morning, I was making breakfast so I was right there when it started to smoke and burn up. The coffee had just finished brewing and the matching beeped indicating the brew cycle was done. I was plating my fiancé’s breakfast when I smelled something burning and turned my head to see my Cuisinart Brew Central Coffeemaker DCC-1200 pouring out smoke from the base. It was just rolling up. I got the carafe off of it, unplugged it, and had my fiancé open the door. I immediately took it outside while smoke was pouring from the base of the unit.

I have had a few coffeemakers over the years and I can safely say I have never ever had one do that. It's very scary. Thank goodness, I was right there. The outcome could have been very bad. This product should have been recalled! It is a fire hazard! When I called customer service, I was informed that they have never had a problem with any of their coffeemakers and that they had never heard of this. She did say that they would send me a brand new unit so long as I cut off the cord and send it to them at my cost. Then they would turn around and ship me a new unit at no cost to me. After this, I don't want another of their coffeemakers in my home.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2012

Coffeemaker 750 - Electrical smelling smoke emanating from the bottom of the unit. I unplugged it and still smoking. Ready for the trash, but more importantly, this is a dangerous unit. Do not use. May cause electrical fire. It should not be on the market and Cuisinart or the Consumer Protection Agency should ban them from selling these units.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

DCC 790 fire hazard - I was having my morning coffee when I heard a sizzling noise. I turned to notice my coffeemaker was on fire and the warming plate was bright red. I unplugged the pot and took it to the kitchen sink with water running over it. It continued to smoke for 20 minutes or more. I had to take my Macaw out of the house while I turned the fans on to air it out and 5 hours later, my house still smells awful. I am just grateful I was home when this happened. The coffee pot is sitting outside on concrete. In reading these similar posts, I cannot imagine why this product has not been recalled.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

On December 11, 2009, I purchased a Cuisinart food processor (dlc2011bcnc) from The Bay in Montreal. The control pad ceased to function in September 2012, so I shipped it to Conair customer service at 100 Conair Parkway in Woodridge, Ontario on November 5, 2012. It was sent back to me saying it was not broken, while in fact it still did not work. Conair paid for it to be shipped back to them. On November 23, 2012, I received a package containing what I thought to be the repaired processor base, as stated (serial number) on the waybill. But in fact, it was replaced with a used base.

I phoned ** at customer service and he admitted that the machine was replaced, though he did not need or want the serial number of the unit nor tell me what it had been used for. I find it unacceptable that Conair replaces a defective product with a used product. Furthermore, Conair did not note that the original machine was replaced. It's a sorry state of affairs when companies like Conair try to pass off their warranty with unidentified used machines.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

We purchased our Cuisinart DCC-2205TN about 6 months ago and this morning, I starting hearing a noise and when I went to the kitchen, there was smoke pouring out of the unit. I immediately unplugged it and took it outside. The house smells like electrical smoke and I'm still shaking. Fortunately, the unit was sitting on a glass tray or it would have burned our counter top or our house (the glass tray had char marks on it)! Never again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2012

The coffeemaker has performed well for 3 years, plus 4-5 months (warranty is for 3 years). But recently, it would turn itself off about 5-10 seconds after pressing the start button. If I unplugged the unit from the wall outlet and then replugged it, it usually worked OK. But recently it began to cut out repeatedly even after unplugging and replugging. This morning I noticed that the resting plate under the thermal pot was very hot, although it is not supposed to heat up to keep the coffee hot since it's a stainless steel thermal carafe. I realized this was a potentially major fire hazard, similar to what other reviewers have described, though not yet as bad. I then called Cuisinart customer service to describe the problem and a supervisory person agreed with me that it was a manufacturing defect, but that there was nothing Cuisinart either could or would do because my unit was a few months out of warranty.

Their advice - go out and buy a new coffeemaker. My response - you can be sure it won't be a Cuisinart. Seeing how many people are experiencing similar, very dangerous problems and reporting them here, I find it astonishing that Cuisinart is behaving in such an irresponsible manner. Thanks to this Consumer Affairs website for doing such a good job of keeping up with consumer concerns.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

My 1.5-year-old Cuisinart coffeemaker started smoking out the rear plate with a foul electrical smelling smoke. Even when unplugged while placed outside on concrete, it continued smoking in freezing temperatures for close to 1/2 hour. Glad we were home to save our house. Grrr!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2012

I have purchased my last Cuisinart coffeemaker! This was my fourth one and yes, I know I should have gotten the message after the first one went ** up but it was so easy to just get another and I didn't have to reprogram the thing to make another cup of coffee - it was very familiar. Once again, the burner on the new one went out! I now have three of them sitting out on the shelf in the garage and am still using an older one. I keep my fingers crossed every time I make coffee!

I should have woken up and smelled the coffee the first time I read "Made in China" on the bottom. The ones I had were 12-cup type model DCC 1200. I have replaced the newer one with an older, older one and at least I am still able to make a decent cup of coffee! I haven't had this last one for a very long time and it is probably still under warranty but to heck with it! My advice is to not waste your money on them as they aren't cheap! High price doesn't always equal quality! In this case, you don't get what you have paid for! 3 coffeemakers at approximately $90.00 each, equal $270.00 down the tubes!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

This was the third attempt at communicating with Customer Service regarding a BBQ we purchased. We have been taking care of our BBQ as per specifications. We purchased a Cuisinart BBQ because we believe in your product. It has become highly frustrating to deal with your customer service department. This BBQ was purchased, if I remember correctly, for approx. $450 at Canadian Tire.

I am sorry to say that if we don't resolve this issue promptly and receive a replacement for a faulty piece of merchandise, then we will communicate this to future buyers. We purchased a handle, as they seem to have an issue with the heat. (The inside is plastic). To our dismay, the handle ejected as soon as the BBQ had reached the desired heat. We take care of our unit according to specifications. Our question is: has anybody ever had the same issue and what was the outcome? To my knowledge this represents a hazard.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

Our Cuisinart DC-1200 coffee maker (a replacement for a prior one which stopped working for no apparent reason) started to heat up with smoke emanating from the heating plate, with an acrid smell. The coffee maker no longer works now and my warranty for the original pot is expired. I will never buy a Cuisinart coffee pot again. When will they recall the product? It is a safety hazard!

Cuisinart Company Information