Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Cuisinart Reviews

Original review: Dec. 22, 2012

I had a Cuisinart DCC790 coffee pot which caught fire and I posted on this site. Cuisinart sent me a new replacement unit (Cuisinart DGB700BC). At first, it stopped brewing and shut off 1/4 way through the cleaning pot of water. This morning, I decided to try it again with coffee. It brewed the pot, and the next thing I know, the plate is red hot and smoking. This pot, as my last, is sitting out in the snow. This pot needs to be recalled before it causes a house fire and kills someone.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2012

This morning the Cuisinart coffeemaker was on for about an hour when I heard a crackling and popping sound. The next thing I knew, smoke was coming out of the unit with a horrible smell. I was able to get the unit outside, but I hate to think what could have happened. I started looking for problems with this unit on the Internet and I am furious to see that so many people have had the same problem. This unit is extremely dangerous and should have been recalled. I will never buy another Cuisinart coffeemaker.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2012

I own a Cuisinart Brew Central Coffeemaker DCC-1200 and have had it for about 2 years. This morning, I was making breakfast so I was right there when it started to smoke and burn up. The coffee had just finished brewing and the matching beeped indicating the brew cycle was done. I was plating my fiancé’s breakfast when I smelled something burning and turned my head to see my Cuisinart Brew Central Coffeemaker DCC-1200 pouring out smoke from the base. It was just rolling up. I got the carafe off of it, unplugged it, and had my fiancé open the door. I immediately took it outside while smoke was pouring from the base of the unit.

I have had a few coffeemakers over the years and I can safely say I have never ever had one do that. It's very scary. Thank goodness, I was right there. The outcome could have been very bad. This product should have been recalled! It is a fire hazard! When I called customer service, I was informed that they have never had a problem with any of their coffeemakers and that they had never heard of this. She did say that they would send me a brand new unit so long as I cut off the cord and send it to them at my cost. Then they would turn around and ship me a new unit at no cost to me. After this, I don't want another of their coffeemakers in my home.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2012

Coffeemaker 750 - Electrical smelling smoke emanating from the bottom of the unit. I unplugged it and still smoking. Ready for the trash, but more importantly, this is a dangerous unit. Do not use. May cause electrical fire. It should not be on the market and Cuisinart or the Consumer Protection Agency should ban them from selling these units.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

DCC 790 fire hazard - I was having my morning coffee when I heard a sizzling noise. I turned to notice my coffeemaker was on fire and the warming plate was bright red. I unplugged the pot and took it to the kitchen sink with water running over it. It continued to smoke for 20 minutes or more. I had to take my Macaw out of the house while I turned the fans on to air it out and 5 hours later, my house still smells awful. I am just grateful I was home when this happened. The coffee pot is sitting outside on concrete. In reading these similar posts, I cannot imagine why this product has not been recalled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2012

On December 11, 2009, I purchased a Cuisinart food processor (dlc2011bcnc) from The Bay in Montreal. The control pad ceased to function in September 2012, so I shipped it to Conair customer service at 100 Conair Parkway in Woodridge, Ontario on November 5, 2012. It was sent back to me saying it was not broken, while in fact it still did not work. Conair paid for it to be shipped back to them. On November 23, 2012, I received a package containing what I thought to be the repaired processor base, as stated (serial number) on the waybill. But in fact, it was replaced with a used base.

I phoned ** at customer service and he admitted that the machine was replaced, though he did not need or want the serial number of the unit nor tell me what it had been used for. I find it unacceptable that Conair replaces a defective product with a used product. Furthermore, Conair did not note that the original machine was replaced. It's a sorry state of affairs when companies like Conair try to pass off their warranty with unidentified used machines.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

We purchased our Cuisinart DCC-2205TN about 6 months ago and this morning, I starting hearing a noise and when I went to the kitchen, there was smoke pouring out of the unit. I immediately unplugged it and took it outside. The house smells like electrical smoke and I'm still shaking. Fortunately, the unit was sitting on a glass tray or it would have burned our counter top or our house (the glass tray had char marks on it)! Never again!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2012

The coffeemaker has performed well for 3 years, plus 4-5 months (warranty is for 3 years). But recently, it would turn itself off about 5-10 seconds after pressing the start button. If I unplugged the unit from the wall outlet and then replugged it, it usually worked OK. But recently it began to cut out repeatedly even after unplugging and replugging. This morning I noticed that the resting plate under the thermal pot was very hot, although it is not supposed to heat up to keep the coffee hot since it's a stainless steel thermal carafe. I realized this was a potentially major fire hazard, similar to what other reviewers have described, though not yet as bad. I then called Cuisinart customer service to describe the problem and a supervisory person agreed with me that it was a manufacturing defect, but that there was nothing Cuisinart either could or would do because my unit was a few months out of warranty.

Their advice - go out and buy a new coffeemaker. My response - you can be sure it won't be a Cuisinart. Seeing how many people are experiencing similar, very dangerous problems and reporting them here, I find it astonishing that Cuisinart is behaving in such an irresponsible manner. Thanks to this Consumer Affairs website for doing such a good job of keeping up with consumer concerns.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

My 1.5-year-old Cuisinart coffeemaker started smoking out the rear plate with a foul electrical smelling smoke. Even when unplugged while placed outside on concrete, it continued smoking in freezing temperatures for close to 1/2 hour. Glad we were home to save our house. Grrr!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2012

I have purchased my last Cuisinart coffeemaker! This was my fourth one and yes, I know I should have gotten the message after the first one went ** up but it was so easy to just get another and I didn't have to reprogram the thing to make another cup of coffee - it was very familiar. Once again, the burner on the new one went out! I now have three of them sitting out on the shelf in the garage and am still using an older one. I keep my fingers crossed every time I make coffee!

I should have woken up and smelled the coffee the first time I read "Made in China" on the bottom. The ones I had were 12-cup type model DCC 1200. I have replaced the newer one with an older, older one and at least I am still able to make a decent cup of coffee! I haven't had this last one for a very long time and it is probably still under warranty but to heck with it! My advice is to not waste your money on them as they aren't cheap! High price doesn't always equal quality! In this case, you don't get what you have paid for! 3 coffeemakers at approximately $90.00 each, equal $270.00 down the tubes!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

This was the third attempt at communicating with Customer Service regarding a BBQ we purchased. We have been taking care of our BBQ as per specifications. We purchased a Cuisinart BBQ because we believe in your product. It has become highly frustrating to deal with your customer service department. This BBQ was purchased, if I remember correctly, for approx. $450 at Canadian Tire.

I am sorry to say that if we don't resolve this issue promptly and receive a replacement for a faulty piece of merchandise, then we will communicate this to future buyers. We purchased a handle, as they seem to have an issue with the heat. (The inside is plastic). To our dismay, the handle ejected as soon as the BBQ had reached the desired heat. We take care of our unit according to specifications. Our question is: has anybody ever had the same issue and what was the outcome? To my knowledge this represents a hazard.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

Our Cuisinart DC-1200 coffee maker (a replacement for a prior one which stopped working for no apparent reason) started to heat up with smoke emanating from the heating plate, with an acrid smell. The coffee maker no longer works now and my warranty for the original pot is expired. I will never buy a Cuisinart coffee pot again. When will they recall the product? It is a safety hazard!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

I'm stunned to read others describe very similar scenario in recent weeks. Sunday morning, reading the paper, we hear gurgling sound coming from DC1200 coffee maker (turned off). I smelled burning. Coffee is boiling in pot. I unplugged it, and smoke was coming out of base at rear. I took it outside, and I turned it upside down to see smoke coming out of bottom. Thank goodness, we were home and have granite countertops, as noted in other post. Will contact Cuisinart first thing tomorrow. I've loved this coffeemaker (my third one in 12 years). But this one could have burned down the house with dogs inside. Where is the recall?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2012

We purchased the DCC-1200 from the Navy Exchange on April 7, 2011. This morning (October 20, 2012) after the coffee pot finished its brew cycle and being turned off for about 20 minutes, I heard crackling sounds coming from the coffeemaker! The bottom heat plate was extremely hot and smoking. I quickly pulled the plug and took the unit outside where the smoke continued to billow out. Thankfully, we were home or... Reading the other reviews, this is not an isolated problem, and I'm wondering if I leave the "attorney to contact me" box checked, will this perhaps result in a class action suit or at least wake Cuisinart up?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2012

This morning, I made a pot of coffee on my Cuisinart CBC-00 and while it was brewing, I heard a popping sound and I started to smell smoke. When I went to see what the issue was, the coffee in the pot was boiling and when I removed it, the heating plate below was glowing red hot and smoking. I immediately unplugged the coffeemaker and took it outside where it continued to burn from the inside. There was smoke coming out of the bottom and back hole where the electric cord comes out and I could smell plastic burning. In order to extinguish the burning, I had placed the unit in the sink and submerged it in water.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2012

My DCC-1100 coffeemaker started smoking this morning and it smelled very burned out. I got it outside to avoid additional odors and problems. I believe it is under warranty. How do I seek replacement?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

Cuisinart DCC-1100C coffeemaker: My husband and I were reading the morning paper when I suddenly heard a loud sizzling noise coming from the kitchen. When I looked, our coffeemaker was emitting smoke and a strong smell of burning plastic. I pulled the plug, removed the carafe and basket, and turned the unit on its side on the counter. The metal plate on the bottom was extremely hot and smoking. The burning smell continued for about 5 minutes. If we hadn't been home and the counter hadn't been granite, I shudder to think of what might have happened! I called the customer support line, was told that the coffeemaker was still under warranty and to return the base unit to the service center in Ontario (at my expense, of course) and to expect a replacement base unit in a couple of weeks. I agree with others that there should be a recall on this product. I'm also ticked off that I have to pay for shipping the defective unit back to Cuisinart!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

Our Cuisinart DCC-1200 Coffee Maker started sparking this morning and then started smoking. Then, it stopped working. We unplugged it. It was a good thing we were home. It could have set the house on fire.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2012

Less than a year ago, I bought a Cuisinart DCC750 coffeemaker from JC Penny. This morning, it started snapping and popping. Then, it started smelling like burnt plastic and an electrical fire. We immediately unplugged it. It actually burned itself up. I cannot believe it has not been recalled since so many are having the same issue. This is my second Cuisinart I have had issues with. With this one I also could not pour the coffee without spilling it all over due to an issue with the lid. This will be the last Cuisinart I will ever own!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

I just read all the reviews with the same issues, burning plate/element, very lucky we were close. I can't believe this company hasn't sent out a recall on these DCC 750 coffee makers. I absolutely will never buy another Cuisinart product again and I will let everyone I know, if they have one, to get rid of it.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

I've had this Cuisinart Coffee Maker for about a year and a half. I have been very happy with it until this morning. I was drinking my second cup of coffee when I heard this loud cracking/popping sound. It was my coffee maker. I quickly unplugged it, then started smelling wires burning and the bottom of the maker was smoking. I feel very fortunate that I was in the kitchen when this happened. I'm afraid to use this product brand again.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2012

Yesterday, September 23, we made coffee as usual in our 3 year old Cuisinart DCC-1200 coffee maker. After pouring a cup, I went onto the porch to read the paper. I heard a loud grumbling noise from the coffee maker and saw smoke coming from the kitchen. My spouse ran into the kitchen and saw that the unit was smoking and burning. There was an acrid burning plastic smell. Thankfully, we were right there and were able to attend to the problem so there was no actual fire. But had we been elsewhere in the house, there may have been an actual fire from this unit. Having read other reviews, it sure looks like this coffee maker series has a problem and needs to be addressed by Cuisinart. How does one initiate a request for a recall?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

My wife and I bought a Cuisinart coffee maker, DCC-1150, about 15 months ago (maybe less) as I do not have the receipt any longer. We bought it at Lowes or Bed, Bath & Beyond. I can’t recall which retailer. This morning it made coffee; we use it on the automatic timer every morning. The coffee had finished brewing, and the warming plate had been on for about 45 minutes. I went upstairs to get ready for the day. Soon after, my wife came home from her morning workout and yelled upstairs that the coffee maker was smoking, sparking, and making noises. As I came downstairs, the kitchen was filled with smoke and that disgusting burning/melting plastic smell. Our fire/smoke alarm went off, so we opened up our windows and fanned the smoke alarm to turn it off. The coffee maker was ready to start a fire. My wife immediately unplugged it from the outlet and put it out in our garage. What a morning!

Hopefully, this is an isolated incident. But this is, or could be, a potentially huge problem for you. Just imagine what could have happened had we not been home or around to act quickly. I’d like someone to contact me. I’m not so sure I want a replacement machine. I can send the coffee maker to you for your engineers to look over if needed. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2012

Cuisinart DC-1200 coffeemaker - After the coffeemaker was done making, a few minutes later I heard hissing and popping from the maker and went to look at it. Smoke was coming out of it, just like many of the complaints listed here. I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. They were here this morning and I was told that if you want a recall on this product, you must contact them and give your coffeemaker to them. Do not give it back to Cuisinart!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2012

This morning as my husband started our morning coffee using our Cuisinart DCC750 maker, he heard this noise and looked. There was smoke coming out of the back of the bottom of the maker. It smelled electrical. We are concerned too that there are so many complaints and yet no recalls. This could have been very serious had we not been standing there as a witness to this incident. Who will finally listen before someone is hurt? We have used Cuisinart for years. I have written the company and will wait for a reply. Not sure if I would use their product again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

Soon after buying this quite expensive coffee maker (Cuisinart DCC 2750), it began leaking increasing amounts of coffee from under the unit, spilling onto the floor. The coffeemaker also appears to have overheated and the paint from the burner is flaking off. It was also difficult to get the lid to adjust correctly to pour the coffee. I will never buy another Cuisinart product again!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2012

The warming plate arced, caught fire, and melted: I've had this unit for no more than a year, and this morning, just after my morning brew, I heard a strange popping sound and smelled melting plastic. I ran into the kitchen to see the warming plate red hot and melting the plastic with tons of smoke pouring out. Ironically, it was raining outside from the remnants of Hurricane Isaac, so I used that to put out the fire that had started in the unit. Now my kitchen reeks of burned plastic. Suffice to say that I'm very disappointed by this. I've used Cuisinart for 20 years and never seen this kind of problem, which is indicative of very poor quality.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

I was in a nearby room when I heard a gurgling, popping sound. I came into the kitchen to find my Cuisinart DCC-1200 coffee maker smoking from the bottom and producing a horrible electrical burning smell. I immediately unplugged the unit and rushed it outside. I moved too quickly to notice if the unit had automatically turned itself off. After waiting for the unit to cool, I inspected it. The problem appears to be in the area of the heating element and it has a definite electrical burn smell. I’m surprised and disappointed to find this site with so many similar failures and yet no recall. I was very fortunate to have been home and inside when this occurred. Else, I would have had a fire in my home. I will not be purchasing another Cuisinart. I will be reviewing this in our next staff meeting to warn co-workers.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2012

After brewing a pot of coffee and while reading the paper, I heard a popping noise in the kitchen and noticed the smell of an electrical fire. When I went into the kitchen, I saw that the noise and smell were coming from the coffee maker (CBC-00 Series). I immediately unplugged it. I was extremely thankful that I was in the next room and was able to remove the coffee maker before there was a fire.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2012

The DCC-1200 coffeemaker emitted terrible smell and noise before black smoke billowed out of all cracks. I unplugged, had to use oven mitts to remove off the counter and threw outside! The unit was blackened, obviously from internal fire! I contacted Cuisinart and they're going to send a replacement without any questions! Makes you wonder how many others have done this as well if they were aware of the problem and did not notify the public. Please, if you have had similar problems, register with the Consumer Product Safety Commissioner. That is the only way to force a manufacturer to issue a recall! www.ctsc.gov or call 1-800-638-2772.

Cuisinart Company Information