Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Cuisinart Reviews

Original review: Feb. 15, 2014

I have a 4-cup coffee maker that has a watery black, ink-like moisture that clings to the bottom of the carafe. Have written to the company and so far no explanation.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

I have owned many Cuisinart products. Each has broken, shortly after receiving them. The name Cuisinart used to stand for Quality. But now, it stands for Garbage. I had the coffee maker with built in grinder. Within the first few months, the grinder broke, then the timer stopped working, and eventually it got to the point where it would brew a couple cups of coffee and then turn itself off. So I'd have to stand by the machine and keep turning it back on, till the cycle was done. I was so happy to throw that thing in the garbage.

I have the four slice toaster. The two center slices cook on only one side. It's a minor annoyance that I live with but from time to time it boils my blood. I have a Cuisinart can opener that takes a lot of finesse to get the can onto. Sometimes I give up and use the hand-crank opener because it's faster. I don't get it. I learned to use an electric can opener when I was five and I never had an issue with them till now.

I was gifted the Cuisinart coffee grinder. It worked great for about a year, then stopped. With all the bad experiences I'd had, I looked in five different stores to find another brand that had the same coffee bean capacity (even if it cost more) and every place only stocked the same crappy Cuisinart. I needed one right away so I bought another Cuisinart with the expectation that I'll have to replace it soon. I'm already shopping for another brand. It's hard to avoid Cuisinart with the way it has proliferated, but now that I'm conscious of this, I'm reviewing other brands and researching where I can buy them so that I will never have to buy another Cuisinart product in my life.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2014

I received a Cuisinart model DCC-750 coffee maker for my birthday a year and a half ago as a gift. My eleven-year-old son and I were in the kitchen while the coffee was brewing, and suddenly he's yelling "Mom! The coffee maker is smoking!" I unplugged it and removed the carafe only to watch as the Teflon of the burner curled up and turn red hot. I grabbed the smoking machine and ran out my front door and set it in the snow. My fire alarm started going off and I did everything I could to rid the smell of acrid smoke for the next three days.

After reading these similar complaints, I will not put my family in danger again, nor pay to have a faulty product replaced by another potential fire hazard. I will never buy Cuisinart again; think a French press is a safer bet. Very disappointed that the company doesn't care to keep a good reputation with their customer base - especially when it involves a fire hazard. Word got around pretty quick in my family, and I know Cuisinart will not be given as a gift again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2014

I received my Cuisinart CPT-160 toaster today through a Scorecard Rewards program. When I unpacked my toaster, I noted that the interior of the toaster had an awful smell which is hard to describe -- part electronic, part musty, part chemical, really strong. I plugged it in and the odor filled the room. There is no way that I could even consider preparing toast in the appliance. I phoned Scorecard Rewards and they were no help -- essentially suggested that I wait it out. They seem to only take back damaged items. I phoned Cuisinart Customer Service and they said that the odor is to be expected at first, but could not give me any indication as to how long "at first" is.

They said that it was the metal heating up. No way. This is definitely a rank chemical or electronic smell. Cuisinart likened it to a new oven burning off at first, but my oven never did that. I have noted that small electronics made in China are increasingly bad, and recently discarded a new curling iron for the same problem. My suggestion for purchase of small appliances is to always purchase locally and keep all packing material in order to return items to the store.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2014

I just brewed 4 cups of coffee. Poured and drank the first cup. Went to pour another cup and noticed that the light was off. I thought it was strange and then I could smell a hint of smoke that is associated with an electrical short. I'm a lineman for the local electric company and am quite familiar with the smell. At this time I didn't know for sure if it was the coffee maker or the receptacle. Checked the receptacle and that is okay. Looks like Cuisinart may have a wiring problem with this unit that could lead to an electrical fire. The arc of the fault current apparently is so low that it won't allow the breaker that feeds the receptacle to trip and instead allows the coffee heating element to short. Just my opinion.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cuisinart?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2013

Have a Cuisinart classic stainless steel percolator model 12BCC which is 4 months old. This morning, when the perc was approximately half way through its brewing cycle, there was a loud pop, flash and smoke which emitted from the bottom of the perc. I immediately pulled the plug from the wall socket and removed the pot which had no burn marks. I checked the base unit and got a strong smell of electrical burn. My counter top was scorched black in the area of the flash exiting the base of the coffee perc. I removed the base unit and opened the electrical access to observe three wires going to the heating unit.

Of the three wires, the green (ground) was OK. The back (hot) and white (neutral) were fused together approximately 1/2 inch from the connection to the elements. This is a very poorly routed wiring system and would suggest that the product be recalled before a serious condition arises with another perc. I am a retired fire officer with investigations training and will be forwarding my findings to my local Fire Dept.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2013

Brand new never used Cuisinart food processor never worked. Repackaged it, paid shipping to have repaired @Conair Corporation who charged me $38.32. Still not working. I'm throwing it in the trash!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2013

A 3.5 year old single coffee cup maker Cuisinart... doesn't pour half the time. A 3.5 year old Cuisinart Bread Maker being very noisy. Expensive machines. I called Cuisinart… answer... “Sorry nothing we can do.” I know where and what to buy next time - NOT A Cuisinart Product. Sorry nothing I can do either...lolll

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

I submitted an entry yesterday, Dec. 9, 2013, about my Cuisinart Coffee Maker, model DCC-750, catching fire while brewing. If you have this experience, YOU NEED TO CONTACT the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Cpsc.gov , and report this. I was told by their rep that this is the only way a recall will happen on these products, and so far they only have 4 reports, while there are dozens and dozens on this website, going back years. That makes me wonder what exactly is the function of this website, other to provide a place to complain and find info? Considering the hazard of fire and the many incidents reported, there needs to be a greater consequence regarding this situation!

While Cuisinart knows this is a BIG problem, due to all the many calls they have received from consumers whose coffee makers have fried, they are apparently doing absolutely nothing in regard to consumer safety. No recalls, no bulletins, nothing. They simply offer to replace the product, IF you are willing to pay shipment. When I did a search for recalls, I found info regarding a recall on a food processor after ONE report of an injury. While that's great, what about all the people who are in danger of loss of property and life due to defective coffee makers catching fire? So far, every one has been lucky enough to be there when it happened... What does it take for action on this problem, a house to burn down, people to be killed? Very bogus, Cuisinart!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2013

My DCC-750 12-cup FlavorBrew Coffeemaker caught fire today. Luckily, I was right there and heard it making a popping/sizzling noise and then smoke started coming out from under the hot plate and up through the rest of the coffee maker. I quickly unplugged it, thinking that would stop whatever was happening, but it continued to get worse. So I took it outside and set it in the snow and by this time it was smoking badly. My house is reeking with the stink of burned plastic and I have a headache and feel sick, despite opening my windows twice to air out the house on a bitterly cold winter day!!!!

I immediately called the company and while the rep, Richard, was apologetic, when he asked for the serial #, I told him the unit was outside in the snow and he said he was pretty busy and couldn't wait long for me to get the number. I went back out, wind chill 0 degrees, blowing snow and got the number for him, but I was afraid to even leave the thing on the porch, in case it was still smoldering inside. He told me that while they would ship me a new one free, I would have to pay return shipping on the old unit. I requested a postage paid label and he said he couldn't do that "for that model". What difference does the model make when the dang thing caught fire on my kitchen counter? "Did you actually see flames?" he asked. No, I didn't stand there and wait for it to get that far, where there's smoke, there's fire, and my house stinks badly enough as it is.

After getting nowhere with Richard, I asked to speak with a supervisor. She, Kim, did not seem interested in the seriousness of what happened and only repeated what Richard had said. He also told me that if I don't return the old unit, which when I asked what he thought that might cost me, he said probably $10, $15 or even $20 postage, he told me that if I don't return it, any future Cuisinart products I buy will have an automatically voided warranty.

After reading all the reviews on this site, as well as others, about Cuisinart coffeemakers catching fire, I don't think I will use the new one and will probably never buy another Cuisinart product again. Not only could my home have burned down, they have the audacity to threaten me with being blackballed from their warranty obligations should I be foolish enough to buy anymore of their products. Real nice, Cuisinart.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2013

We own a Cuisinart CBC-1600 coffee pot and it has been making a funny noise for several weeks but the coffee pot appeared to still be working and the noise would stop after a certain period of time. This morning it made the same noise and then that stopped and then it started ticking, like a clock and then I noticed it was smoking. We unplugged it and took it outside where it continued to smoke for a while and it smells like burnt plastic. I will contact Cuisinart tomorrow, as today is Sunday.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

Cuisinart 12 cup programmable coffeemaker started smoking and making funny noise. Coffeemaker is less than 2 years old, closer to 1 year. Love this coffeemaker and the options, but very scary to find it smoking before we got up. Had it programmed to start 10 minutes we get out of bed. Didn't keep the receipt, so not sure if we can get a refund. This model needs to be recalled or at least have a warning so people don't use it when they are asleep or leave it unattended (which defeats the whole purpose of a programmable coffeemaker). If there is a recall I haven't found it yet. Contacted the store where I bought it to let them know of the situation.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2013

This morning I started our Cuisinart coffee maker model# CBC1600 as usual. It made coffee - however, I heard a buzzing sound when it started, but then the buzzing stopped. I went to another part of the house to get ready for work. Within 5 minutes, my husband had grabbed the smoking, burning coffee pot to carry outside. Our smoke detectors came on. Had we already left, we would not have had a home standing. FIRE HAZARD!!!!! Why no recall???

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

When brewing coffee, the coffee grounds basket pops out without doing anything. I first emailed CuisinArt Customer Service and got a reply 11/3/2011 saying it was under warranty and I had to pay $10.00 to ship the "defective unit" back for a replacement. I called the Customer Service Department and talked to Ian who told me this was a maintenance issue and not a defective part issue and I should clean the basket release button with a spray water bottle or compressed air such as "dust off". This did not work and I put up with this issue till I called back again to "purchase" a repair part which I was told are not available. By then it was out of warranty and I was out of luck. Bad product!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

12-cup coffee pot stops working after 4 cups. Have to turn it back on again to finish brewing coffee. Changed filter twice and have run CLR and water through it, but still does it.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2013

Sunday 29 SEP 2013 approximately 0930 - Made 1/2 pot of coffee, drank 2 mugs, heard a popping noise coming from the coffeemaker, investigated, it was smoking, unplugged it and ran it outdoors. It continued to smoke, sprinkled water on it to douse any further fire potential. Then I drank the remainder of the coffee with 1/2 and 1/2. I guess I'm buying a coffeemaker today.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2013

I bought a Cuisinart coffee maker model dcc-1200 red metallic on 02/11/2012 and I paid 69.95 for this coffee maker. All of a sudden it stopped brewing. While still under warranty, I called Cuisinart and explained what happened. The lady told me because I bought the coffee maker from an online "authorized seller" of Cuisinart that I had to go through them to get the coffee maker replaced or repaired. She also told me that it was possible I had bought a "refurbished" product. Which in fact it was BRAND NEW. NOT REFURBISHED! I then called the online company that I purchased it from. They ask me to email them all the info about the coffee maker. I gave them everything they ask for and this has been 12 days and I haven't heard a word from them either. My coffee maker is still under warranty. It has a 3 year warranty. I would not advise anyone to purchase ANY product of Cuisinart. I am going to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint against BOTH places - Cuisinart and the online store where I purchased this item. I will NEVER buy another Cuisinart item.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2013

I had a negative experience with Cuisinart customer service agent, on Aug 19, 2013. The person who handle the phone call was Trisha. I placed a Cuisinart order over two weeks ago. I paid with a American Express gift card, and that slowed the process of my order. I called Cuisinart customer service and the first time I spoke to Trish she told me that the funds were verified, but that they don't charge until the order ships and that it would take a few more days.

I called American Express and they told me that Cuisinart was paid on Aug 16, 2013. I called Cuisinart back to let them know what American Express told me. Customer service agent Trisha answered again. I was told (in a tone that sounded annoyed with the fact that I was calling again). She was rude, did not let me speak, spoke to me like I was a kid and told me that the first time I called she already told, and that maybe I forgot from the time I first called. I told her not to talked to me that way, like I was a kid and asked for a supervisor. She told me that the supervisor was going to tell me the same thing. I spoke to supervisor Jason, and he apologized and told me that he would speak to her. Trisha's behavior was extremely inappropriate. My order may be shipped in about three days, and after that it takes 7 to 10 days. I will never order from Cuisinart again. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2013

I have owned three of these machines, purchased the first one, the second two were warranty replacements. I'm throwing out the third one tomorrow but was checking online first to see if there was a recall. The brew basket pops open almost every time I use it. Coffee grounds and coffee end up all over the counter. The only way I can use it now is if I hold the brew basket closed. I'll be buying a different brand as a replacement.

Original review: July 24, 2013

Convection Toaster Oven - Bought this item a year ago, then noticed it was taking longer and longer to bake something. I had an oven thermometer, had the oven set at 450 convection. The thermometer read 225, kept on shutting off. I contacted Cuisinart. They said it was covered under warranty, would have to ship the unit back and they would tell me the cost of shipping. I first checked out the shipping location. It would cost me $36 to ship it to Arizona, plus $10 to ship the new one. I told them that was excessive and would not pay it. OK, they would waive the $10 as a "courtesy" gesture, and the now "limited warranty" would not cover all the cost of a replacement. It appears to me this is a way for increase revenue. A replacement cost them less than that - CHINA product.

I read all the problems with their coffeemakers. I am getting rid of the oven and will never buy another one of their products. They appear to have a safety issue with their products, which they have never addressed. I have found there are far better products out there for less money.

Original review: July 23, 2013

Cuisinart 12 cup coffee maker - Mid-brew the coffee maker stops brewing and spontaneously shuts off. If I turn it back on, sometimes it stays on. Other times it goes off again. This coffee pot was given to me as a gift - it is my second one. The first time I bought it, there weren't any issues. That was when the sides were not stainless steel. It appears that the new and junkier system is faulty. My new one is barely a year old.

Original review: July 7, 2013

4 slice belgian waffle maker - The product makes terrible soggy waffles. Even when I allow it to go two or three cycles and then toast the waffles, they still become soggy on the plate. I do not know how they can sell such a product. Do they not test their products before they ship them to market?

Original review: July 3, 2013

I have a Cuisinart Coffee-on-Demand 12-cup programmable model CUI DCC-3000. And again, it stopped working after a year and I hardly use it, just once in a while for company and not even used once a day! It should not break down so quickly. I would never buy this again and I think I need to find a different brand than Cuisinart. I loved the look of it, but it seems Cuisinart is only for looks, not in long lasting quality products. I’m better off with a cheaper brand if need to replace it every year!!

Original review: June 24, 2013

Shut itself off and then it started boiling the coffee in the pot. Smoke came out from the back and small flames. We ran it out of the house and set it on cement by the pool. It smoked for over an hour. My house still smells of burnt plastic. I contacted customer service and was told someone would get back to me within 3 days.

Original review: June 22, 2013

Like so many consumers before me, I made my morning coffee in our 3 year old Cuisinart 14-cup coffee maker and noticed that after brewing, the machine started to make a crackling sound. When I approached the coffee maker, the coffee was boiling and smoke was coming out from the back of the maker. I immediately unplugged it and put in outside where it is currently still smoking! I was lucky in a sense that I was in close proximity when it started to overheat and before it could burn my kitchen down! This coffee maker is a major fire hazard!

Original review: June 15, 2013

We have used this item less than two years but suddenly we experienced a very strong and acrid burning smell which filled the whole house. I discovered smoke coming out of the back of the coffeemaker and unplugged it immediately. Good job we were not outside at the time as if left, it could have caused a fire! I removed the base and found some melted insulation under a metal sleeve which helped secure a wire to the bottom of the heating element. This could have caused the bare wire to have shorted against the element.

I wrapped insulation tape around this bare wire and plugged in the machine but the machine no longer worked. However, there was no burning smell, apart from the residual left from the earlier incident. Turning on ceiling fans and the a/c finally got rid of this awful smell! This is the shortest lifespan ever from a coffeemaker despite it costing more than average. I do not think this was a fluke as now I have read of others having a similar problem. I believe this to be a design defect and a fire waiting to happen. We will NEVER buy Cuisinart anything again as we would never be comfortable with their products after this experience.

Original review: June 13, 2013

Cuisinart 12 cup programmable Coffeemaker - We've had a Cuisinart coffeemaker for about 2 1/2 years and this morning, after making coffee, I heard some popping, thinking that it was just water on the heat plate, but it wasn't. The coffeemaker turned off and then it started smoking - The end! It is very disappointing that a highly rated coffeemaker would fail after just 2 1/2 years.

Original review: June 12, 2013

14 Cup Brew Central Fire Hazard - Our experience mimics many others. After brewing a pot of coffee, keep warm feature boiled the coffee in the glass carafe and then coffee maker started to smoke. As I was unplugging the unit, I noticed all of the LED indicating lights were "off" including the one which identifies "BOLD" and the one that identifies "ON". Had we not been close to this fire hazard, we would have had a serious situation as this appliance was seriously out of control. Canadian Tire (CANADA) would not publish my customer review; I suppose they only want positive reports. Cuisinart, you have a problem!!!

Original review: June 7, 2013

CUISINART 14-CUP FP-1400 DC - I am a pastry chef and use this unit at home. It was purchased approximately 3 1/2 years ago. Several weeks ago, I noticed a lot of gunk around the seal that attaches to the bowl. I attempted to clean it but without success. I tried soaking overnight, using a brush and everything I could think of. The seal is so tight that nothing penetrates it. Obviously, I was concerned because of health issues. I contacted Cuisinart Customer Care about this problem.

After many emails, their suggestion was that I purchase a new top for the price of $60.00 (plus shipping)!!! I informed them that I felt that it was unfair that I was to be punished for a Cuisinart design flaw! The outcome is that Cuisinart insists that I purchase a new top because the unit is out of warranty; $60.00 is a quarter of the original purchase price. Am I (or any customer) expected to replace the top of the unit each time it becomes dirty? That is totally unreasonable. To date, this issue has not been resolved and, although I will keep trying, I do not expect a satisfactory result. This is obviously a way to gain customer loyalty.

Original review: May 26, 2013

Fire Hazard. I love the look and function of my Cuisinart 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker and this is my second one. I noticed the coffee has been very hot lately and the heating element is the problem. I googled similar issues and whether this could start a fire. Well, I was shocked to find hundreds of similar complaints with people facing much scarier circumstances than I have with their Cuisinart. I am throwing it out today and replacing it with another brand. I'm not going to take a chance of burning my house down. Sounds like the company is aware of the problem and not doing anything to correct it because it is still happening with units newer than mine!

Cuisinart Company Information