2. Homeowners
  3. Riding Mowers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

Cub Cadet engineers, designs and builds outdoor power equipment using high-quality components sourced locally and globally. Through a dedicated and extensive network of dealers and retailers, Cub Cadet delivers a full line of high-performance power equipment and services that cover all aspects of grounds care for professionals and homeowners. Its products include four-wheel-steer zero-turn riders, lap-bar zero-turn riders, utility vehicles, lawn and garden tractors, specialty turf products, battery- and gasoline-powered handheld and chore products, snow blowers and more. Based in Valley City, Ohio, Cub Cadet is recognized worldwide for its legacy in engineering excellence and its dedication to designing for the people who depend on the company's equipment.

Cub Cadet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cub Cadet?

Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased the LT1050 in the spring of 2005. It has been a great Mower. Still has the original tires. Replaced the belts twice and a steering bushing once. Not bad in 14 years. Still cranks and runs like a champ! Thank you Cub Cadet. Joe in Boiling Springs, SC.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Purchased the Cub Cadet CC30H mower from a local dealer near Cleveland, Ohio in October 2017. In July 2018 the Engine locked up due to a Catastrophic oil leak. The dealer found an oil leaked however Cub Cadet will not replace the engine. Cub Cadet argues that an oil leak is not an manufacturing defect and is the responsibility of the owner. The oil sprayed out while the mower was in use. The cost of a replacement motor is $1100, I paid $1400 for the mower. Ouch $1400 down the drain. Think twice before you purchase this mower.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

In 2005 I was in the market for a new riding mower. I decided to pay considerably more money and get a really nice, "name brand" mower with hydrostatic transmission and 46 inch cut. I selected the Cub Cadet 1045. When I brought it home, it would not start to get it off the truck. I should have taken it right back to the dealer and got my money back...but I didn't. It has definitely been the worst piece of junk I have ever purchased. Have replaced the steering mechanism so many times, I lost count. The belt pulleys have been horrible.

Belt that turns blades comes off at least 2 or 3 times each time I cut my 1.5 acres. The drive belt comes off and/or breaks. In the 13 years I have owned this Cub Cadet, I could count on 2 hands how many times I have been able to mow my yard without having to work on the mower. I will say that the actual cut is fantastic...but the misery this machine has caused me is not worth it. The drive belt broke again 3 weeks ago and I have decided not to put any more money into this thing. I will be purchasing another mower this week...but it will NOT be a Cub Cadet.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I purchased a Z-Force L48 with a fabricated deck on 6/20/16. Since then, the mower has backfired constantly and shuts down in the middle of mowing. Now the starter won't work correctly. The mower has spent more time in the shop than in my shed; I've only been able to use it about a dozen times or so. This paperweight cost me $4,400 and Cub Cadet won't do anything about it. I've asked for a new mower but Cub's response is "We're not in the habit of giving out new mowers, sir."

The shop where I purchased it has been great! They have bent over backwards trying to get the thing right and have followed all of Cub's service recommendations (and then some). A Cub rep supposedly looked at the machine during its last stay at the service center and determined that a fuel feeding tube was installed backwards. Cut my lawn twice now but the third time it quit. I have to let it cool down to crank it up again then it will run for another 10-20 minutes. Ridiculous!!

Now the starter won't work right. I have to coax it gently just to get it to turn over. Luckily, I have an old Sears Zero Turn built by Husqvarna that I use as a back-up. Without it, I'd never get my lawn cut. I hoped to use it as a back-up to the Cub; Ha! It's my MAIN MOWER!! I guess I'll have to take Cub to court over this. The mower is a lemon and at this point, I really don't want another one. I'd like them to reimburse me for my purchase so I can walk away. I know I'm in for a fight and I'm willing to let America see what this great American company is willing to put this American through!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

First week I purchased Cub Cadet mower. It had problems with the steering, took back three times in the first two weeks to get it to steer right, had to take it back a fourth time to finally get it right. Had problem third week after purchase. Drive belt went bad less than 2 hours on the machine. Had to pay $148.00 to replace belt. The first week of owning the machine tires would not grab the ground. Just made dirt turn to dust. Got stuck in 1/2 inch of hard dirt, if ground is damp at all. Tires spin on grass, asked for better tires but they had none in stock. The sales department offered an extended service plan and told me they would pick up and deliver, turns out it's not true, cost $50.00 each way or $100.00 round trip.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Cuts like a Rolls, runs like a Yugo! - We purchased a Cub Zero Radius lawn tractor, model i1046, in 2010 at a Cub Dealership. The mower cuts beautifully, when it’s not in the shop! We have less than 300 hours on the mower but have replaced the Köhler engine at 100 hours, the replacement engine smoked like chimney within 2 months, leaking oil onto the manifold, so we took it to a repair shop, not the dealer who sold it to us... he went out of business! And they fixed it only to begin smoking again in 2 months.

Next, the steering mechanism broke around 200 hours. Back to the shop for steering mechanism, smoke, blades and belts. At 270 hours, the drive belt went and now at 300 hours, the steering shaft snapped! The only good thing with all of the breakdowns is that I get plenty of exercise mowing the acre yard with my Toro walk behind... We paid good money for this mower and have followed the maintenance schedule to a tee. Cub Cadet should be embarrassed to put this type of junk out for people to buy. Next breakdown is the last for me... should have bought a Toro!

Original review: July 27, 2018

I like the way my mower handles. It has a sharp turning radius. The problem is the tires. Within the first year three of them needed repairs and the mower was recalled. That is a poor track record for my mower.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My only little complaint is that the mower “hangs up” easy if I go over a very uneven area. That results in one tire not touching the ground and mower won’t go forward not backward— especially if grass is damp. Then I have to shut mower down and push it to level surface. Otherwise a great little machine!

Original review: July 27, 2018

We’ve owned the mower for 1.5 seasons and so far it’s been great. Safety features are great especially if you have children. We bought the mulching blade, works great. The self cleaning deck is a plus. Just hook up the hose and runs the water. No more smelly garage.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Clean cut, easy to handle, great value. Also, there are a lot of extra accessories that can be used with the Cub Cadet. I would definitely purchase Cub Cadet and its other products again.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I owned a sly 1554. It was so awful always needed work to be done on Transmission was so weak it wouldn't even back up if on the site grade. Just a very bad mower.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I have an issue with the battery. It does not keep the charge very well. Might be that my yard is too small to sufficiently charge it. Over all it does what it is intended to do.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Worked ok for 1st year or so, but I mow a steep backyard and the transmission (Hydro Static) is starting to slow down and the shafts that holds the blades, I have to replace them often at $94 each. Also this mower has less than 200 hours and I had to replace leaking valve cover, and the front wheels turn out in front making it hard to turn a sharp corner. CUB CADET is definitely overrated and overpriced. I use to buy Murray before they went to China, they were $800 and would last without very little maintenance for 5 to 8 years, then I would junk them and buy another. But when you pay $2000 for a Cub and have less than 200 hours... 4 years... I have spent enough on it in repairs to buy 3 Murrays.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Some design features could be improved, such as the grass catching bag mechanism and the manner in which it attaches to the deck assembly. The fuel capacity indicator on the rear of the tractor should be more easily seen to know the amount of remaining fuel in the tank.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Strong decks, rugged, easy to drive in tight spaces and very durable. Highly recommended this mower for small to large cutting areas. Great mower and great price.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Cub Cadet has served me well for 12 years now and for the most part it is not to hard to work on when things break (Transmission belt excluded). Like that you can replace parts within the spindle assembly, unlike some brands where you have to replace the whole assembly. Cut has become slightly uneven but the way grass grows here it's not noticeable in a day or two so I will not go through the pain of figuring out where the deck is warped. Would buy again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I did a lot of shopping, I research the Consumer Report! Got the X-1 with the 46 inch deck & the Kolher 22hp. The value was right & 2yr warranty also the dealer will do the maintenance.

Original review: July 23, 2018

It is in the shop an average of twice a year. The repairman says it shakes apart and not well built. Right now it is down because the fuel solenoid fell apart, and it won't start. It has around 300 hours on it, if I could afford a new one, I would roll it off a cliff. Lesson Learned.

Original review: July 23, 2018

There are a couple of things that I had to discover about the mower myself. It would have been good to have a salesperson spend a half hour or so to help me with a hands on.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet lawn tractor in the spring of 2012 and it has performed very well. It was also very reasonably priced. It is solidly built with numerous positive features.

Original review: July 22, 2018

Cub Cadet 46 inch mower is probably my fifth or sixth mower and so far (3 years) it has been pretty good. I have had Craftsman, Husqvarna 56 inch, Yard Pro and Toro. Husqvarna having been the worst value while I got 20 years of very hard work out of the Craftsman. And Cub Cadet has been the best so far. However, their attachments are way over priced and apparently from reviews not too good.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Impressive after 1 year. Nice turning radius, easy start, even cut and like that I can view gas in tank. Comparable prices with others but outperforms Craftsman & John Deere.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I love my mower! It's like therapy to mow the lawn between the smell of fresh cut grass and the best ride around. Also I love the wind in my face... I wish I could mow more often.

Original review: July 21, 2018

It’s a riding mower and it cuts grass while you ride around. Also leaves a nice cut. So far it hasn’t broken just a new battery and it’s good to go.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I purchased this Cub Cadet Zero Turn RZT-L 46" on 10/1/2017, it was built in 2016. I would rate this mower a 5, but it is the worst riding mower of the 6 that I have had in my 77 years. The seat doesn't have any padding, and 2/1" dia x 3" long springs for suspension don't do anything. I'm 2 hundred lbs and the springs do not compress at all. The seat is like riding on board. Other than that it has been good. I would not recommend this mower because of the ride, it is very hard on the back.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This mower is American made which pleased me. But I wish the mower had a little wider base for hilly land. I have a reservoir on my property that I have to mow and am nervous that it may tip (I am new to riding mowers). So I am working up the courage to do the reservoir. Otherwise, the mower handles very well. It turns easily and is also very easy to operate. I especially like the gas intake being easily accessible.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I would like it to be bigger and wider. But it is easy to drive and handle and a good price. It is only 42in, rides very good, starts great. 60in I would get done faster.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My Cub Cadet Z turn has been the best mower that I’ve ever owned. I had mine for 12 years and never a problem, aside having to have the carburetor cleaned. I am mowing about 2 acres in the time I owned it (800+ hrs) on it.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I got my Cub about 10 years ago. It has held up very well. It was a little more expensive than some but it is worth the little extra for the length that it has lasted me and the only thing I have replaced was a drive belt and a battery. I like the gas pedal and that it can go in reverse without shifting it. Another good feature is that you can put it in cruise control for one speed without stepping on the gas pedal, or you can make it go faster or slower with gas pedal. We have a lot of hilly lawn. One time I was going down one of the hills and cut it to quick to turn and fell off the tractor. It has an automatic shut off when you get off the seat. So that stopped the Cub right in its tracks, so to speak. I wasn't hurt, just my pride a little, but glad it didn't keep going. It's well worth a few extra dollars.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The brackets that mount the handles are too soft of metal and they bend from time to time. Other than that, I like this mower a lot. I am a heavier guy 250 lbs and it works fine. I have replaced the stock blades with mulching blades so the cut on the grass is much finer. But wish the mower would have come with the mulching plug.

Cub Cadet Company Information