Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

138 Sears Craftsman Tools Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

So far my Craftsman products are working well. I also recently bought a new battery-start lawnmower and I really like it. (I did buy the warranty for 5 years as a precaution, since Sears is scaling back stores and sometimes their reputation is not always great.) There are some design flaws, but it starts right up and cuts the grass exactly as I would like. I have some Craftsman power tools that I regularly use and am pleased as well.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Brand has been around for years and years. Guarantee is still great but the only thing I'm finding is that there hasn't been much new and or improved tooling coming out from them. Could it be a result of the dire straits Sears is in? I see that they've been purchased by Lowe's, so maybe in a year or so they'll start reintroducing new tooling and or bringing back some of the old stalwarts that made them #1.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

This name brand is the only brand I know to trust. My father was a master carpenter and built many a quality homes with Craftsman tools. Since I was a child I knew my tree house, and home was built with Craftsman quality tools. That was 27 years ago, and the very same tools still deliver the very same quality service, and reliability.

Original review: June 27, 2019

My father owned Craftsman and my first tool set was Craftsman purchased at our local Sears outlet. I used these tools when I went to Arizona Automotive Institute straight out of high school. I still have the same tools 46 years and have never regretted any tool. In my opinion that is quality American made by and for Americans.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I have been using Craftsman for almost 20 years now. My father used Craftsman as well. The quality is amazing, and so are the prices. Great looking products, a huge variety to choose from as well. I like that I can walk into a Sears, check out the products and touch them in person before deciding on purchasing. I definitely recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have Craftsman tools that are over 40 years old especially socket sets. When Sears owned the Craftsman name, I bought only Craftsman at my local Sears store. Now I think it is a separate company, but the quality is still there. Great warranty, no questions asked. Many engines have been rebuilt with all my Craftsman tools.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I bought Craftsman because of Sears' guarantee - if the product proved to be defective, no matter the age, it was replaced by Sears. I took advantage of this policy only one time, because I'd no other need to. I still use Craftsman tools that are now over 40 yrs old.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have purchased Craftsman tools from the first Time I purchased my first tool. All was great until Craftsman started with the limited life time warranty garbage. I once I found Craftsman doing this, I dropped them like a bad habit. I will no longer buy from a company that doesn't stand behind their tools, especially for the professionals who depend on them. Now I purchase Kobolt or Husky. They seem to be a far better product anyway. None of them have broken like the Craftsman do all the time.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Craftsman is great quality, however parts may be a problem. Not sure if one needs to find parts who will have them. Have 40 year old tools still in great shape. Their radial saw is top notch, not so much their scroll saw.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I love Craftman's return policy. You bring the broken one in and walk out with the replacement. No hassles, no problems. Just walk in hold it up and they point you to the new ones simple as that. Grab it and go.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I returned a Craftsman tool after 40 plus years of service because it finally failed with many years of use. Craftsman replaced the tool free of charge with no questions asked. They truly stand behind their lifetime warranty.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Drill kit works great. Never had to file for warranty. Batteries are a bit expensive. Got 2 from Amazon for $35.00 with free shipping. This is my first Dewalt tool as I have always used Skill, Rigid, Black and Decker also Craftsman.

Original review: June 25, 2019

So much competition in the market today, but Craftsman tools holds its priceless reputation. We enjoy seeing innovative products and recognize the value of the old, reliably. There are no comparisons when shopping for the best. The Ultra best is supplied by folks who know.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My husband has been using Craftsman tools for sometime. He started using them when Sears was selling them and he really likes them. He doesn't use too many other brands and they are worth the money you pay for them.

Original review: June 23, 2019

The only downside is that Sears was the only store that these tools could be purchased. From what I understand, Sears sold the line to another company, which I cannot recall. Hopefully, the quality does not change. I see where Lowe's is selling the product line.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Good quality tools, great warranty & easily available at Sears & Kmart. Too bad so many closing but also online. Used them for over 15 years as a mechanic. More affordable than Snap-on. That’s all. For higher quality go with Snap-on.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Hope that the new ownership does not reduce quality or warranty on these products. Their hand tools are reliable and durable suitable for contractor use. Their power tools seem to last forever also.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I use Craftsman for 3 reasons...America made! Elite Quality! Lifetime Warranty that they actually stand behind and honor and replace any wrench or tool that breaks as they have ratchets and things for me in my life....They are not liars or cheapskates like most corporate companies owned by liberal greed filled racists.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have used Craftsman tools for about 40 years. They have always performed well. They also have a lifetime guarantee which gives me the confidence to keep purchasing them. They have a nice feel when they are in my hand and look professional too.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Purchase a tool cabinet online. It was delivered but without the keys to lock it.. That was one of my main reasons for purchasing this particular one. I have tried since last September to get them to send me the keys and I keep getting lied to, indicating keys will be mailed within 7 to 10 business days.. Well it's been 8 months and I haven't received them yet.. No wonder they had to file bankruptcy.. Very poor business... Never ever again.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Updated on 04/02/2019: Update on this. So I called again to Craftsman. This lady says she see that I have called many times. She puts me on hold for over 30 minutes. She get back on the line and tells me she has a place that will repair this or replace it, so I asked her where is this place. She tells me Woodridge or something like this so I asked how far is this from me. This dumb ** tell me it's 830 miles from me and she has already set me an appointment to go there for the repair. I told her, "Really, I’m going to drive 830 miles?" Craftsman’s does not stand behind their product.

Original Review: I got a drill press on or about 11 24 18. I did not take this out of the box for 2 months, and when I did and hooked it up, it was so wobbly that I could not even line this up with the spot I was trying to drill. I took this back to Sears. They said they could do nothing for me, but they did give me the phone number of Craftsman warranty. So I called Craftsman, the lady went through the paperwork and I thought she said they would call me back, I got no callback.

I called back 3 weeks or so later. I get another rep on the phone, she tells me she see the call I made and the lady said that Craftsman won't warranty this. I told her, "What are you talking about? This came with a one year warranty," so she put me on hold and then came back and said the manager overrode this and they will warranty this. She took my number and said the manager of Sears will call me back within 3 days, I never got a call, so I called back. Another rep gets on the phone. She says she see where I made the calls, but does not see where the rep said Sears would call me back.

This rep tells me I have to take the in to a repair center. She give me a phone number, I called it. No answer, so I go there and this place has been closed for years. So I called again today 3/20/19 sitting in the vacant parking lot of the used to be the repair center. This time I asked for a manager, she said she was a manager, I explained all this bull crap I have been going through. She now tells me I have to go to Covina 30 miles away. She gives me 2 numbers 626 966 3541 and 714 529 93 93. This is bull, I called both of these numbers today and no one answers at either one.

I do not even want this item nor any item that has to do with Craftsman. I am amazed at all the hell I have gone through just trying to get what I paid for. The model number of the item I got is 34985. Paid with my credit card, 11 24 18. I have 2 accounts. I’m not sure what account this is under, phone number ** either Richard ** or **, the other account is under ** the name is either Richard ** or **.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I needed/wanted a power washer so when decided on a model seen that the box is labeled: "the following items are included…" But when I got home and opened the box! It contained the motor, pressure pump unit but was missing the Pressure Hose and Wand! The wand extension was present however. How can any quality assurance person not see that these two pieces are missing before sealing the box? This particular unit was purchased at Lowe's. Called Lowe's and was told that I need to call Craftsman. So I call Craftsman but they are closed (granted it was Sunday). So on Monday I call have the manual, model number, serial number, and receipt in front of me before I call. Give them the story of why I’m calling and the information they need. The whole time saying they were sorry for the inconvenience.

So while I’m on hold for the transaction to be completed I’m expecting them to tell me the parts would be shipped the same day or next the morning at the latest. I was very wrong with that thinking. When came back on the line asked if calling about anything else. Then gave me a confirmation number. So I asked when the two parts would be shipped. I was told I would receive an e-mail when they were shipped so I asked again how long! I was finally told would take 1.5 weeks to process and pack before went out. Then another week for slow mail to deliver it. I gave Craftsman 1 star only because ZERO STARS is not an option! Bottom line and what I’ll be doing from now on when purchasing and item that has “parts included” open the box and verify before leaving! If I am not allowed will go to another retailer who needs my money more.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Craftsman Tools are now made in China. Don’t try and return your lifetime guaranteed made in the USA tools. They will steal your expensive Craftsman professional tools and replace them with garbage China made throw in the trash replicas that will cut your hands if you try and use them. Complete junk. Don’t waste your time. They stole $365.00 worth of my ratchets and told me, “Oh well.” No wonder they are going bankrupt. Sent me to Sears hometown store in Wooster Ohio and the good Christian woman owner ripped me off. Even though I took a pic of my tools on her counter to prove what I had give her she filled out a invoice with fake part numbers and stole my professional tools. And replaced them with $11.00 tools in the mail.

Called customer service to complain and was told, “Oh well” by a foreigner and was told to keep my pic as a memory of what I had before it was stolen by the very person Craftsman sent me to. I hope they get cut by their own tools putting them in packages, to mail to their loyal customers who have been buying their tools for decades. I will now throw all my Craftsman tools in the trash where they belong and that is a guarantee you can stand by. So much for the lifetime guarantee. Only guarantee is you will be robbed by Craftsman Tools.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Don't ever buy Craftsman Wet Dry Vacuum. It breaks 1 month after warranty went out then was talked into by store rep to buy replacement plan. Not telling me if I use it more than 2 times a month they won't honor it either. To anyone that buys...lie.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Purchased a Craftsman drill press from Sears 4 years ago. A spring broke on the press. Sears does not have a replacement part. Called Craftsman. They take no responsibility for the tool. "Once we sell it to a company for resale we no longer own it." They claim the drill press was probably made 10 to 15 years before I bought it and is 'vintage'. The best they would do is supply a phone number for a toolmaker who might be able to supply the spring. Clearly there is an issue here with Sears, but Craftsman is still touting the quality of their products, but does not stand behind them. Be forewarned.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

On today Sept-2nd 2018 I tried to exchange a broken torque wrench that I purchased about 12 years ago. I was told that it was not under warranty any longer that Sears had changed their policy... My reply was when I bought the tool it was lifetime warranty not limited warranty. And then she pointed at a sign that said "Anyone returning a non-lifetime warranty tool must have receipt." My response was, "Ok but this tool has a lifetime warranty!" Her reply was she is sorry but there's nothing she can do. After talking to three managers, all had the same reply, so they said they can sell me a torque wrench at a discount with a one year warranty... Guess where I told them to stick that torque wrench!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am so HORRIFIED. Sears was at my house on July 24th to fix a broken chain from my Craftsman garage door. I thought it may be covered under warranty. Initially they quoted $650 including the $100 service fee. They fixed the chain, replaced 10 rollers, and 7 bolts. After completing the job these guys actually decided the price was $750 and acted as it was from the goodness of their heart they would bring it down to $700 and eat the cost. That's when I became suspicious.

Last week the spring broke. I had a local company come by. I asked how much they would have charged for the works Sears did. He said not more than $200!!! I feel sick. I just tried to call customer service. I told the story twice. The last person I talked to supposedly tried to transfer me to the garage door people and then the call was disconnected. That was a half hour on the phone.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have always bought Sears Craftsman tools because of the warranty. When you have more tools than most shops, you occasionally have to take some back for replacement. At first, they started limiting how many tools you could bring back. Then they started rebuilding them instead of giving you a new ones. (The ratchet they tried to give me looked like it was used for 20 years.) The last time I exchanged tools, about 2 years ago, they had a limit of 12. So, I have to drive through Orange County traffic twice to exchange my 14 tools? They helped me out after some arguing.

Yesterday, I went to the Santa Ana, CA store with 13 tools. They told me they had a 5 tool limit. Let's see, when I walked in and spent thousands of dollars on tools, they didn't have a limit of 5. The Rude, overbearing GM told me it had always been that way and that limit. When I told her about my experience 2 year ago, she said I was lying. Needless to say that didn't go well. She then explained that if I read the 32 pages of warranty info online, I would understand it has always been that way. I went home and eventually found that stores "may limit" the amount of tools you can exchange. It doesn't say, they have to.

When you buy something with a warranty, you expect the company to stand by it. I don't want to make 3 trips through traffic to exchange tools I bought at one time. Then, to be treated as rudely as I was is absolutely unacceptable. The guy behind me overheard the conversation and was as surprised as I was. No wonder Sears is going down. Their customer service is horrible.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Bought a new 54 inch riding mower 4 Yrs. ago. Spent good money on it and in the last 3 yrs. the front right tire has come off. The first 2 times it came off there was no signs of how or what holds anything together, just a wheel. I grease it down yearly and looking at the paper towel used to remove the grease, I would say it was well greased. So over weekend when the tire come off and sent me about over the hood of the thing, I decided it was time to investigate.

Now being a machinist/tool and die maker for the last 25 yrs. I knew where to start. I wiped off all the grease and found a cheap clip that holds everything on broke. Hmmm I thought. So I called where I bought it from and the lady had the nerve to tell me it's not covered. Didn't ask any questions on what happened or how I was. Like I said at the top, this is the 3rd time. Not arguing a bad wheel, I'm thinking axle default. But she says they are not reasonable. Been a Craftsman person all my life but after this I don't think I will ever buy Craftsman anything again. Good luck with all you people that deal with Sears. Won't do it again!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought a riding lawn mower from Sears 2 months ago. On the 3rd it stopped working, died in the middle of the lawn. Called the warranty line and had to do some basic troubleshooting which did not work. The rep would not set up an appt until the next day. I call on the 4th and the first available appt is on the 14th. Meanwhile I have to pay someone 150 each week to come mow my lawn because my brand new mower is dead. The 14th comes, the repair man comes out and was rude. Had no idea what the problem was, said it was fixed while I was inside working and left. Imagine my surprise when I hop on the mower to cut the grass and once again it stops working after 5 minutes and once again is sitting dead in the yard. I call again and am told dispatch will call me in 30 mins which did not happen. I call today and they want to go back to basic troubleshooting.

The store I bought it at will not help because they are closing and the other local Sears won't assist either. An appt was made for the 26th, that will be 4 weeks without a mower IF it actually gets fixed. That's 4 weeks of having someone come mow my lawn at 150 a pop because no one is willing to get the problem fixed. What's the point of having a warranty if it takes over 4 weeks to MAYBE get the problem fixed. I get that stuff happens, things break but this company is severely lacking customer service skills when you get bounced from store manager to store manager or between depts with the customer service line and no one will help. Cannot get a replacement or refund until 4 appointments, with 2 weeks in between appointments... So tell me how is one supposed to maintain their yard with a broken brand new mower and this poor level of customer service?

I have spent over 10 hours on the phone with the customer service, or warranty department in the last week; only to be transferred, hung up on or told there is nothing that anyone can do. When this day started, I was okay with a replacement mower when the next technician came out however not that we are looking at the 26th plus 7-10 business days IF he says to replace it; that puts me into the middle of July before I have a mower. I cannot afford $150 a day for someone to mow my lawn, which is the going rate around this area especially when I have a 2 month old lawn mower sitting here unable to move. After hearing this information, I asked about a refund for the mower and returning the mower. The store manager at the Milan, TN location told me she would make an exception but she is unable to because the store is going out of business.

I don’t think that asking for a refund is unreasonable but everyone tells me there is nothing that can be. I am not asking for a refund after having it 11.5 months right before the warranty expires; this mower died at 58 days and I need to have a functioning mower. I am not asking for Sears to pay for someone to come mow my lawn in the meantime, I just want to return this mower so I can go buy a new mower that actually works so I can mow my lawn. I can tell you as someone who runs a virtual call center for a Fortune 100 company that provides excellent customer service, the customer service with Sears used to be amazing but it has gone downhill tremendously and my experience has been extremely poor. I cannot get anyone to assist me at all, even the CEO's office said "you have an appointment on the 26th" and that's all. No customer service, no accountability.

Sears expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

Craftsman makes and sells tools, work gear and lawn and garden equipment. Craftsman makes a variety of single-, dual- and triple-stage snow blowers. Craftsman snow blowers are available online and at Sears.

• Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower: The Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower uses a 40 V electric motor to give you the power of a gas-powered blower with a battery-powered model. It has a 20-inch clearing width and an intake height of 10 inches.

• Craftsman Quiet Snow Blower: The Craftsman Quiet is a gas-powered snow blower made to have a quieter 208cc engine than most in its class. It has a 26-inch clearing width and a 21-inch intake height.

• Craftsman Pro series: Craftsman’s heavy duty, gas-powered Pro series of snow blowers have clearing widths ranging from 24-34 inches. They are available in both dual- or three-stage models.

• Dual-stage tractor snow blower: Craftsman’s tractor-mounted snow blower has an intake height of 21 inches and a clearing path of 42 inches. These can fit tractors or mowers for removing snow from larger areas.

• Craftsman snow cab: If you are turning a tractor or mower into a snow blower, you can cover the driver’s seat with the snow cab. The snow cab covers the driver and protects them from snow and ice.

• Best for: homeowners with small or large lawns.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Sears Craftsman Tools Company Information