Sears Craftsman Tools

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Sears Craftsman Tools Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears Craftsman Tools?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: April 8, 2021

As I recall, less than two years ago I went to a high quality hardware store to buy a cordless, power driver (screw driver). The salesman helped me select a Craftsman model but then asked if I had the reciprocating saw that provides the battery & charging port? No, I did not. There was no other way to get the battery for the Craftsman power driver! Friends had suggested I should have one of those cordless saws so I said, "OK". As I recall, about $200.00 later I had the driver, saw, one battery and charging port. Both items were satisfactory in performance.

Earlier this year the saw, with battery attached, seems to have been stolen. Therefore there is no battery for the driver. I returned to the hardware store to purchase another saw + battery. I did not like the necessity of multiple purchases in the first place but figured that was the system, so I would simply buy another saw to get another battery. WRONG! That battery is obsolete! After less than 2 years' ownership, since the battery is stolen or missing, the driver--which is the only item I wanted in the first place--is junk, ready for the garbage can! The store manager commented, "we live in a throw away society." I shot back that if I knew what I bought would be obsolete or worthless in a year or so I would just buy garbage from a big box store, that I came to a well regarded, nationally advertised store to buy quality products!

I know the electronics industry fuels repeat purchases partly through irreplaceable batteries, none of which fit anything else. I am SHOCKED that common products, styles of which have been manufactured for years, are in that same category! I am speechless to think that something as commonplace as a power driver has to be purchased with another, more expensive item to get a battery in the first place! I am beyond hurt that theft of the saw, with battery attached, had rendered the driver, all I wanted in the beginning, useless trash fit for the garbage!

I feel I was RIPPED OFF by the Craftsman sales plan which required multiple purchases, one of which I did not want, to obtain one battery! And when that one battery is stolen, I can no longer use the driver! EVER! I will leave the driver on the street and hope someone can use it as it has NO value to me! I dumped another $200 + for another driver + saw deal from a well known company with a better record. I guess the only way to buy a new driver with battery is to buy a saw. The store manager said this one won't be obsolete as fast.

I am going to digress a tiny bit. How dare anyone talk of our "carbon footprint" and the need for carbon taxes?!? Apparently we are expected to throw away our power tools every year or two! My late husband's cordless driver lasted 35 years before the batteries failed to charge. I wish I could give ZERO STARS but the system says I have to give something and one star = very dissatisfied. I can think of stronger words but I will accept that.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Has anyone else had issues with their Craftsman Crossover Truck Box (CMXTBAK1000901)? I purchased mine 8-22-20. The first week of December 2020 the welds began to break. I wasn’t aware that Craftsman has Werner Company handle their warranty on these. I contacted Werner company and was ask to email several different types of pictures to them. I had already at this point removed the toolbox from the truck and attempted to return it to Lowe’s (it didn’t meet Lowe’s 90 day return policy).

I took what pictures I was able to with it already removed from the truck. Werner insisted there had been an impact to the box. There absolutely hasn’t been. I think most people understand that when a weld breaks on a loaded truck box everything goes to that lowest point which caused a crease in the aluminum and made the lid no longer retain its shape. I had to struggle to get the top open to remove my tools. They have denied my claim. I ask to have someone else look at it and was told an engineer was going to review it. That was a week ago. The lady I did my claim with is now out of the office until Jan. 4th. I bought the Truck box (toolbox) because I needed one. I’m extremely disappointed in the quality of this box, and furious over the way my warranty claim is being handled (56 months remaining on my warranty). I would absolutely avoid purchasing this truck box. I will never purchase another Craftsman product.

Get buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Craftsman warranty is crap! They wanted a receipt for the torque wrench that lost its ratchet capability. Who keeps a receipt for a hand tool more than 30 days? I will NEVER buy another Craftsman anything! They are not worth the money!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

Ordered 2 “300pc drill & drive sets” for Xmas presents. One came damaged, box & plastic broken, pieces out of the box, not suitable to give as a gift. Sears wants me to:

1 Go to UPS to return the item.
      2) Go online and buy the item again.
      3) Pay for the item & the shipping again.
      4) Call them after I order to get shipping refunded.

5) Wait 5-7 days after they receive the return to refund my money!

At this point I said NO, not worth the hassle, lesson learned, DONT SHOP AT SEARS!! There’s a reason I stopped shopping at SEARS years ago!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I would like to say AGAIN that I have been waiting for months for someone to get back to me about two ratchets I have that are broke and need replaced. Now that Sears is closed. Nowhere to take broken Craftsman tools.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I don't know if Craftsman is still in business or not, I don't think so, but when they were around, I think they were the best tools you could buy, there was a warranty on all tools, the customer service at Sears was good, there was a huge selection of tools, and the quality, in my opinion, was unmatched, they were some high quality tools, made in good ole USA, and the price was decent, but I read that now the quality, and everything else about these tools has went down the toilet, they are no longer good quality tools, but that's what someone else wrote, and described them, I don't know if that's a fact, or opinion, I haven't shopped for Craftsman for years, so I don't know if they are still in business, or went defunct like Sears.

Original review: July 6, 2020

I purchased a Craftsman WS410 from a local Lowe's store. After 5 weeks and only two uses I noticed that the metal grommet that supports the string in the cutting head had become loose and was cast off. The unsupported string has cut the plastic and it now cuts the string when trying to use the unit. I contacted the Lowe's and of course they said that it was outside the 30 days and it was now Craftsman's problem. I tried to call Craftsman Customer Service starting over 4 weeks ago. I am presently on hold again. This is the fourth attempt to talk to someone. I get the "we are experiencing higher than usual call volume and will get to as quickly as possible", each and every time. I have waited over one hour several times and still nobody picks up.

I have also written them four emails. I get an automated reply saying that they will get in touch with me usually within 24 hours. The first message was over five weeks ago. What good is customer service if the company doesn't worry about their base. Will I ever buy a Craftsman product again..Not on your life. Will I tell everyone why I feel that way. Count on it. The unit is under warranty but what good is it if you never can get in touch with someone. Craftsman used to represent quality and customer service. I might as well be dealing with some call center overseas.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Craftsman do not warranty their tools. I make my living in auto body. I use to use Craftsman tool until I tried to return them. Several time now they denied to replace their own products. They even have their name on them but no product number so they won't replace them. Mac Tools stops once a week to see if there is anything to replace or to buy more tool. I have not had no problem get replacements and always there when I need anything. I give mac tools a 5 star rating. Best tools I have ever had is mac.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

The nearest Sears closed which was about an hour away. I am now stuck doing tool replacements through the Sears' customer service line. Call number, navigate through five menus, be placed on hold, speak to someone who can't speak English, get placed back on hold, speak to same person again who transfers me to sales to make the replacement transaction, placed back on hold, have to give CC number to pay for shipping of free lifetime replacement tool. In all, replacing the $35 tool cost me 45 minutes on the phone and $7 for shipping. I'm very disappointed and will be buying tool with a local retailer regardless of warranties. No more Sears and no more Craftsman for me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

The sockets I bought at Sears 42 years ago still look great and have been everywhere. The sockets I bought at Sears a few years ago are rusted and have mostly hung in my tool room. I have attached a side by side picture showing the difference. The new socket is on the right.

Sears author review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

Craftsman makes and sells tools, work gear and lawn and garden equipment. Craftsman makes a variety of single-, dual- and triple-stage snow blowers. Craftsman snow blowers are available online and at Sears.

• Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower: The Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower uses a 40 V electric motor to give you the power of a gas-powered blower with a battery-powered model. It has a 20-inch clearing width and an intake height of 10 inches.

• Craftsman Quiet Snow Blower: The Craftsman Quiet is a gas-powered snow blower made to have a quieter 208cc engine than most in its class. It has a 26-inch clearing width and a 21-inch intake height.

• Craftsman Pro series: Craftsman’s heavy duty, gas-powered Pro series of snow blowers have clearing widths ranging from 24-34 inches. They are available in both dual- or three-stage models.

• Dual-stage tractor snow blower: Craftsman’s tractor-mounted snow blower has an intake height of 21 inches and a clearing path of 42 inches. These can fit tractors or mowers for removing snow from larger areas.

• Craftsman snow cab: If you are turning a tractor or mower into a snow blower, you can cover the driver’s seat with the snow cab. The snow cab covers the driver and protects them from snow and ice.

by David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Sears Craftsman Tools Company Information