1.19/5
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

116 Sears Craftsman Tools Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Craftsman Tools are now made in China. Don’t try and return your lifetime guaranteed made in the USA tools. They will steal your expensive Craftsman professional tools and replace them with garbage China made throw in the trash replicas that will cut your hands if you try and use them. Complete junk. Don’t waste your time. They stole $365.00 worth of my ratchets and told me, “Oh well.” No wonder they are going bankrupt. Sent me to Sears hometown store in Wooster Ohio and the good Christian woman owner ripped me off. Even though I took a pic of my tools on her counter to prove what I had give her she filled out a invoice with fake part numbers and stole my professional tools. And replaced them with $11.00 tools in the mail.

Called customer service to complain and was told, “Oh well” by a foreigner and was told to keep my pic as a memory of what I had before it was stolen by the very person Craftsman sent me to. I hope they get cut by their own tools putting them in packages, to mail to their loyal customers who have been buying their tools for decades. I will now throw all my Craftsman tools in the trash where they belong and that is a guarantee you can stand by. So much for the lifetime guarantee. Only guarantee is you will be robbed by Craftsman Tools.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Don't ever buy Craftsman Wet Dry Vacuum. It breaks 1 month after warranty went out then was talked into by store rep to buy replacement plan. Not telling me if I use it more than 2 times a month they won't honor it either. To anyone that buys...lie.

Get expert buying tips about Home Supplies and Tools delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Purchased a Craftsman drill press from Sears 4 years ago. A spring broke on the press. Sears does not have a replacement part. Called Craftsman. They take no responsibility for the tool. "Once we sell it to a company for resale we no longer own it." They claim the drill press was probably made 10 to 15 years before I bought it and is 'vintage'. The best they would do is supply a phone number for a toolmaker who might be able to supply the spring. Clearly there is an issue here with Sears, but Craftsman is still touting the quality of their products, but does not stand behind them. Be forewarned.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

On today Sept-2nd 2018 I tried to exchange a broken torque wrench that I purchased about 12 years ago. I was told that it was not under warranty any longer that Sears had changed their policy... My reply was when I bought the tool it was lifetime warranty not limited warranty. And then she pointed at a sign that said "Anyone returning a non-lifetime warranty tool must have receipt." My response was, "Ok but this tool has a lifetime warranty!" Her reply was she is sorry but there's nothing she can do. After talking to three managers, all had the same reply, so they said they can sell me a torque wrench at a discount with a one year warranty... Guess where I told them to stick that torque wrench!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I am so HORRIFIED. Sears was at my house on July 24th to fix a broken chain from my Craftsman garage door. I thought it may be covered under warranty. Initially they quoted $650 including the $100 service fee. They fixed the chain, replaced 10 rollers, and 7 bolts. After completing the job these guys actually decided the price was $750 and acted as it was from the goodness of their heart they would bring it down to $700 and eat the cost. That's when I became suspicious.

Last week the spring broke. I had a local company come by. I asked how much they would have charged for the works Sears did. He said not more than $200!!! I feel sick. I just tried to call customer service. I told the story twice. The last person I talked to supposedly tried to transfer me to the garage door people and then the call was disconnected. That was a half hour on the phone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have always bought Sears Craftsman tools because of the warranty. When you have more tools than most shops, you occasionally have to take some back for replacement. At first, they started limiting how many tools you could bring back. Then they started rebuilding them instead of giving you a new ones. (The ratchet they tried to give me looked like it was used for 20 years.) The last time I exchanged tools, about 2 years ago, they had a limit of 12. So, I have to drive through Orange County traffic twice to exchange my 14 tools? They helped me out after some arguing.

Yesterday, I went to the Santa Ana, CA store with 13 tools. They told me they had a 5 tool limit. Let's see, when I walked in and spent thousands of dollars on tools, they didn't have a limit of 5. The Rude, overbearing GM told me it had always been that way and that limit. When I told her about my experience 2 year ago, she said I was lying. Needless to say that didn't go well. She then explained that if I read the 32 pages of warranty info online, I would understand it has always been that way. I went home and eventually found that stores "may limit" the amount of tools you can exchange. It doesn't say, they have to.

When you buy something with a warranty, you expect the company to stand by it. I don't want to make 3 trips through traffic to exchange tools I bought at one time. Then, to be treated as rudely as I was is absolutely unacceptable. The guy behind me overheard the conversation and was as surprised as I was. No wonder Sears is going down. Their customer service is horrible.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Bought a new 54 inch riding mower 4 Yrs. ago. Spent good money on it and in the last 3 yrs. the front right tire has come off. The first 2 times it came off there was no signs of how or what holds anything together, just a wheel. I grease it down yearly and looking at the paper towel used to remove the grease, I would say it was well greased. So over weekend when the tire come off and sent me about over the hood of the thing, I decided it was time to investigate.

Now being a machinist/tool and die maker for the last 25 yrs. I knew where to start. I wiped off all the grease and found a cheap clip that holds everything on broke. Hmmm I thought. So I called where I bought it from and the lady had the nerve to tell me it's not covered. Didn't ask any questions on what happened or how I was. Like I said at the top, this is the 3rd time. Not arguing a bad wheel, I'm thinking axle default. But she says they are not reasonable. Been a Craftsman person all my life but after this I don't think I will ever buy Craftsman anything again. Good luck with all you people that deal with Sears. Won't do it again!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I bought a riding lawn mower from Sears 2 months ago. On the 3rd it stopped working, died in the middle of the lawn. Called the warranty line and had to do some basic troubleshooting which did not work. The rep would not set up an appt until the next day. I call on the 4th and the first available appt is on the 14th. Meanwhile I have to pay someone 150 each week to come mow my lawn because my brand new mower is dead. The 14th comes, the repair man comes out and was rude. Had no idea what the problem was, said it was fixed while I was inside working and left. Imagine my surprise when I hop on the mower to cut the grass and once again it stops working after 5 minutes and once again is sitting dead in the yard. I call again and am told dispatch will call me in 30 mins which did not happen. I call today and they want to go back to basic troubleshooting.

The store I bought it at will not help because they are closing and the other local Sears won't assist either. An appt was made for the 26th, that will be 4 weeks without a mower IF it actually gets fixed. That's 4 weeks of having someone come mow my lawn at 150 a pop because no one is willing to get the problem fixed. What's the point of having a warranty if it takes over 4 weeks to MAYBE get the problem fixed. I get that stuff happens, things break but this company is severely lacking customer service skills when you get bounced from store manager to store manager or between depts with the customer service line and no one will help. Cannot get a replacement or refund until 4 appointments, with 2 weeks in between appointments... So tell me how is one supposed to maintain their yard with a broken brand new mower and this poor level of customer service?

I have spent over 10 hours on the phone with the customer service, or warranty department in the last week; only to be transferred, hung up on or told there is nothing that anyone can do. When this day started, I was okay with a replacement mower when the next technician came out however not that we are looking at the 26th plus 7-10 business days IF he says to replace it; that puts me into the middle of July before I have a mower. I cannot afford $150 a day for someone to mow my lawn, which is the going rate around this area especially when I have a 2 month old lawn mower sitting here unable to move. After hearing this information, I asked about a refund for the mower and returning the mower. The store manager at the Milan, TN location told me she would make an exception but she is unable to because the store is going out of business.

I don’t think that asking for a refund is unreasonable but everyone tells me there is nothing that can be. I am not asking for a refund after having it 11.5 months right before the warranty expires; this mower died at 58 days and I need to have a functioning mower. I am not asking for Sears to pay for someone to come mow my lawn in the meantime, I just want to return this mower so I can go buy a new mower that actually works so I can mow my lawn. I can tell you as someone who runs a virtual call center for a Fortune 100 company that provides excellent customer service, the customer service with Sears used to be amazing but it has gone downhill tremendously and my experience has been extremely poor. I cannot get anyone to assist me at all, even the CEO's office said "you have an appointment on the 26th" and that's all. No customer service, no accountability.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I purchased a CTX9500 Sears Tractor on 5/8/12 ($6,568.73). Despite good reviews, the tractor has had 3 replacement carburetors and manifolds in 6-years, 3-replacement mower deck motors, one electronic choke switch, two failed fuel pumps and a display and hour meter that has never been able to function since day-1. Making matters worse is Sears use of a third-party warranty "service" company which is the worst I've ever encountered. BEWARE OF A&E FACTORY SERVICE. They are who really service Sears Products and their performance is completely unsatisfactory. This year's "service" is a good example.

I started in March with a request for service from A&E as the tractor would not start (as usual for each year we've owned this tractor something new fails on the 26-hp Kohler engine, the fuel system, the mower deck or some combination thereof). A&E "service" eventually arrived (one month later) and installed another carburetor & manifold. However, the tractor still didn't start so the repairman determined (this is a more or less replace parts one at a time until something works process) it was now a failing electronic choke switch which was ordered and he was supposed to come back in May. Sears service center (A&E) called me the day of the service after waiting all-day to cancel the service due to their single employee for a 5 county region being "sick".

My appointment was re-scheduled for about 3-weeks later but A&E was a no show as the same employee called in sick AGAIN on the day of the service. My complaints got to the A&E service manager who advised he suspected his service personnel were staging a "sick out" this year and there was nothing he could do. Indeed, he said he expected my next appointment would also be ultimately cancelled due to the "sick out" and so here I am in June with no service after three months! Having shed all responsibility the Sears Store people just shrug and say, "We can't help" which has been more than obvious for 6-years.

A&E has no vested interest in customer support as they are paid by Sears to provide terrible service. It is a perfect example of two companies, in a symbiotic relationship for themselves who both now have NO responsibility to their customers. Never buy from Sears unless you want terrible service. Their warranties are worthless and continued service is totally unreliable. I strongly suggest if you are looking at the retail price of a Sears product you consider that the down payment on what will become a continual drain not only on your pocket book but your own time which will be spent waiting for A&E service to call canceling your service appointment or show up to patch up a poorly built Sears product. If there were minus stars I would rate Sears a minus 5 and A&E Service equally bad.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have one of the earliest sets of Sears Easy Read Sockets. Early sets were engraved with sizes and craftsmen names but not stamped into the socket. I have had this set for many years in one of my work trucks. After many years some of the sizes and names have severely worn off. I tried to finally get them replaced where I bought them at the Union Gap Store. The manager has accused me of trying to pass off other tools get them replaced. I lost my cool for being accused of trying to steal something that should be replaced with its so called Lifetime Warranty. I have learned that a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I bought a brand new Craftsman Table Saw model 137.218071 at a Sears outlet which was going out of business. Because I was in the middle of a move to a different house, I didn't open the saw for a couple of months. Once I opened it, I noticed that the arbor nut (the part that holds the blade on) was missing. I placed an order with Sears for the nut. They were good about sending me updates as to the backorder status for about two months. Finally, they simply canceled the order completely without notifying me.

Now, 6 months after placing the order, I realized they canceled the order, so I contacted them. They don't have the replacement part, and they don't show that they ever will...for a NEW saw! They will not issue a refund or replace the saw. I contacted their escalation department, and all they did is contact that Sears Parts Direct to get the same information I was given before. They couldn't get me in touch with anyone who might have a clue as to where I could obtain the replacement part. They did offer me a 10% discount if I wanted to buy another saw. What an insult! I gave them $250 for a useless saw, and they want me to buy a replacement saw from them?! Stay away from this company. They are headed for bankruptcy. Just read the news. Any company that thinks buying Kmart makes good sense cannot be trusted to stay in business much longer. They have proven they don't care about the customer. Be warned.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Purchased a $300 5-year in home repair warranty from Sears for a $900 Craftsman snow blower. I called the number on the receipt and they repeatedly tried to say that I did not purchase a warranty. They did not believe that I had my receipt, so finally after two-hours after being transferred around to three separate customer service reps did they suddenly find my order. I then scheduled an appointment for the in home repair.

I received an email the next day saying I needed to reschedule my appointment. I rescheduled and took a day off work the day of the scheduled appointment. The email confirmation received the day before the appointment stated the technician would call me between 8:00am and 5:00pm when they were on their way. I then received an update via online that our technician would call us between 12:00 and 2:15 on their way to our home. I called Sears at 3:00 who said I did not have an appointment??? I gave them the confirmation email and they said someone would call me within one-hour from the local service department. Once I hung up with Sears it wasn't 10 minutes later I received an email from Sears saying I needed to call and reschedule an appointment. Nobody from Sears called me, not even once.

I called Sears again only to have someone from the Philippines tell me there was no appointments available in our area and if there was then we would need to pay $95.00 to schedule the appointment??? I purchased over $3,000 worth of lawn/garden equipment and a warranty for the snow blower portion only. Now I cannot even get a technician to show up for a scheduled appointment to fix the snow blower that is only three-years old. I called the Sears store after calling the warranty number and they said there is nothing they can do. They gave me a number to the local service center where I sat on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up. It seems Sears no longer cares about their customers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Why is all of your products now junk?? I don't own one piece of Craftsman anything that is worth a damn. This chainsaw I have is such ** I am going to set it on fire and video it because it is such a piece of **. It has left me stranded on a job more than once. When I need the saw to run, it doesn't matter how many times I pull the cord or use choke/primer combinations, it won't start two times in a row. Junk junk junk. As I sit here at a customer's house with a tree half cut down, about to pass out from pulling the cord ten thousand times, I want to break the saw into little pieces in your engineer's shop. It's stupid that this day and age, a basic engine can't be made to start on the first, second, or even third pull. This is why people don't buy your crap anymore.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

During April 2015, I purchased a Sears Craftsman lawn tractor mower for my home. I purchased it at my local Sears Department store for approximately $1,907.13; the product came with a 2-yr protection agreement. Sadly, after acquiring the riding mower, I immediately started encountering issues with the mower. Specifically, the transaxle (transmission) of the mower failed. As part of having the repair protection service agreement, I was confident that the mower would be fixed to satisfaction and the problem would be resolved. As a result, I initiated more than 4 separate service requests to have the riding tractor's transmission fixed. It has been documented that the mower's transmission has failed on 4 occasions, whereas, the Sears technician had to order 4 new transmissions to put in the mower and it is still faulty as the mower continues to have problems.

In the process, Sears has offered me with an additional 6 month extension on my repair warranty agreement to ensure the problem is no longer present. Unfortunately, the mower is still faulty as of today. Additionally, I have made repeated contacts with customer service, Sears Customer Solutions Department, Corporate Office, and letters/emails to Sears to voice my concerns and to rectify the problem over the last year and a half.

In simplest terms, I am at a complete loss. My warranty expires in October 2017 and I am going to be literally “stuck” with a known defective product. Over my years of owning lawn equipment, I have never encountered such an all around bad product. I am tired of being inconvenienced with this defective mower. I refuse to take another day off work unpaid to deal with the technicians and to spend multiple hours over the phone to address the faulty mower because my history has proven that the equipment does not represent a quality unit, but an unreliable unit which has cost myself with an immense amount of time, effort, inconvenience, and more important, money.

I truly believe that my mower is a faulty unit for which I strongly believe to be a “lemon” unit. As of today, Sears has refused to replace the item even after the technician has deemed that the costs incurred to repair the item has exceeded the initial purchase of the mower. The technician also expressed his opinion that the unit should be replaced. Sears wants to keep attempting to repair a product and not do what's reasonable and that's to replace the faulty item. I am infuriated!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Really guys. You use 5 star and 6 star blades on 46 inch lawn mower. Come on man. No wonder Sears going out business. Craftsman brand not helping. That's last straw for me. I will not buy anything anymore from Craftsman. Been selling more & more junk every year. I have been loyal customer craftsman brand 30 + yrs.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Despicable Manufacturer. The part in question is Part #** made by Craftsman. A part that tho' made by one manufacturer, is the same part that appears in many different brand name scroll and table saws. This part is referred to by name as a "Link Arm" And it is no longer made. Nor can one be found as a replacement part.

For the one on my scroll saw broke at one end made of all things; PLASTIC.

When speaking with a Sears rep. on the phone I remarked of how I could always purchase one of many such scroll saws still on the shelves. And all containing the one part that is going to break and can never be replaced. I actually said that what I had was now Garbage. Much like how Gru in the movie Despicable Me says about the bedtime reading material The Three Little Kittens. "Garbage". I'm trying to repair it with of all things: Duck Tape. I make Cigar Box Guitars and this was, Was, was a perfect tool. I am posting the experience in photos on Instagram, hashtags and all.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Today, 8/24/17, I went to Sears to get a replacement torque wrench for the one I bought 10-15 years ago that didn't work. I was told that that particular model did not have a lifetime warranty, only the cheaper models were lifetime and they would me for the cheaper unreliable model for mine. When I bought mine the "selected" tools didn't have "lifetime" on them, the lifetime warranties were implied. WARNING: Do not buy Craftsman Tools assuming they have a lifetime warranty! Buy Snap-on instead.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I purchased the Craftsman T3500 54" deck with the 24 go V twin Briggs on it in Gainesville Ga on June 9th 2017. It is August 12th 2017 and the belt keeps slipping off the pulleys and when it engages it feels and sounds terrible. I contacted the Craftsman mower dept and was told it would be 3 weeks for someone to be out. This was an expensive purchase for me to make. I should've listened to dad and bought the cub cadet. I wish I could rate it at no stars. I will NEVER step foot in Sears again nor refer my worst enemy there for a mower. I have a payment to make regardless if it runs or not.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I bought a lawn mower tractor from Sears in October 2008 for about $7,000. I also bought the Protection Agreement, which promises they would fix or replace the tractor if it's broken. We used it once before winter started, then when we tried to use it again in the spring there were issues with the tire and the battery. These problems still continue today. When we called the Protection Agreement services when the tractor began to act up again, they gave us window from 8am-5pm. They didn't show up. we had to reschedule for the next day. They do this every time we have an appointment, and I keep losing work days because of this.

Last time we called, August 2017, the technician said we have a red flag in our account. He stated they're not allowed to fix our tractor anymore, because "we exceeded our money limit", which the contract doesn't state we have a limit to the price of the repairs. We haven't fixed the tractor since September of 2016. The workers would order thing they never used. We're confused where all the money went. The tech told us he would call his supervisor to allow them to fix the tractor, but no one ever showed up to the appointment.

When we Customer Service, they stated we "abused the tractor" and that broke the Protection Agreement. They consider abuse as running over a rock or a tree branch, and so on. They are making us cancel the Protection Agreement, after paying for it for the past 9 years. The customer service said the only option we has has to call back to cancel the agreement. I'm beyond upset and dissatisfied with Sears. The tractor cost about $7,000 and the PA agreement cost about $6,000. What's the point of paying all of that just to told I'm not going to get what I paid for?

Original review: July 28, 2017

I joined Consumer Affairs after researching a problem I was having getting Sears to honor their parts warranty on a garage door opener I bought. They, of course, say they need to charge me 90 dollars for a technician to come out and refuse to send me the parts (and also want to sign me up for a 50 dollar a month home warranty). This is the second time in two years I've had to deal with the transfers, hang ups, lies, etc because of their lemon of a garage door opener. I thought you may appreciate some information.

What Sears is doing is a practice banned by the consumer protection act. It is called "prohibited tying". Read more in this link **. Did you further know that your state's attorney general will have a consumer protection department there to advocate and enforce said federal law? Feel free to call them up or submit a complaint to them online. It's sad that previously good names like Sears, Craftsman, and now Black and Decker can be abused to the extent they have by the current band of psychopaths and crooks. Make sure to mark this as helpful so it's the first thing people see!

Original review: May 19, 2017

In 10/16 I purchased a spare chainsaw chain for my Craftsman Chain Saw. The purchase was to provide me a spare chain for my saw, in case I was in the middle of nowhere and need a replacement while using the saw. With the spare part I would not have to make a special trip to purchase one. When I bought the spare chain, it was provided to me by a salesperson who told me the chain would fit my saw. On May 17, 2017 I attempted to replace the old chain with the replacement I had bought. At this time I discovered the chain provided to me by the salesperson would not fit my saw. Since the spare chain was new in the box and had never been used, I attempted to return the spare chain in order to exchange it for the correct part. The part I was returning was still in inventory at Sears.

Even though I had my receipt, I was told by a sales clerk and Store Manager Jean ** (Citrus Park Mall, Tampa, FL) that since my purchase was over their 30 day return policy nothing could be done. They would not exchange the part even though it was still in stock at their store. I tried to explain I have been a customer since 1972, having purchased thousands of dollars at Sears in appliances, tools, paint, power equipment and household goods. I was told it did not matter what previous relation I had with Sears, since the purchase was over 30 days, there would be no refund or exchange. I advised the store manager I wanted to speak to the Sears Tampa area manager for customer service. I was given a 800-549-4505 number to Customer Relations.

Upon calling I spoke to a "Case Manager" who read a spiel sheet, telling me nothing could be done because the original purchase was over their 30 day return limit. This "case manager" was no more than a warm body to defuse and block a customer from speaking to a Manager who had any authority to deal in a customer relations problem. So based upon this encounter with Sears employees and their store manager, I have decided to mark Sears off my shopping designation and solicit those merchants who have flexibility in dealing with loyal customers in manners such as this. No wonder Sears is in such perilous times with their falling sales and market share, when they have such asinine policies. One thing about it, Sears will not have to worry about me spending my money with them anymore.

Original review: May 11, 2017

We have a 4 year old Sears craftsman tractor... It needed a tune up. We had to talk on the phone to the gd Philippines for 1/2 half hour and the soonest they could make the repair was 6 weeks away!! Sears craftsman has turned into Sears **!! Go elsewhere!!! I will never purchase any product from them again!! Buy from a dealer that services your product!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

My sons and I bought a new Sears Craftsman riding mower 42 April 29, 2016. It run good for about 4 hours on it then it would start galloping up and down the engine racing. Then it would stall and can't start. Today makes 6 times we have had a repairman come out. He has replaced the gas tank, carburetor x2, fuel filters 4 times, spark plug, new gas, the list goes on. I paid 1600 for this which I am still paying on and can't use it. The service tech said he would have to come back in the spring because it is getting cold here. Well duh...it's Maine. I told him he better come back with a new mower or else. I'm contacting Sears and will keep emailing and calling them until I get satisfaction. This is sickening. We had a Poulan pro from Sears for 20 yrs and had no problems. Sears needs to get off their butts and figure out what is going wrong with this type mower.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I have called both Sears and the Craftsman line for products problems. First time earlier this year it was on a Craftsman 20-inch floor fan that the black box next the motor broke off and caused the fan to not function anymore. This happened just over the year warranty of course and I was not offered anything to have it fix. So paying $60 for a year's worth of a fan was a waste. Lesson learn. I placed a review about this issue about this fan on the Sears website and they never posted it. I have seen the complaint of the box breaking off from other reviewers.

Another experience is a Craftsman electrical extension cord I bought last year also burned out on one end. I again called Sears and was forwarded to Craftsman who said they could not help me because the cords are covered for 30 days. So just to let consumers know that Sears will not help you if a product they are selling malfunctions and Craftsman will tell you their products are basically only expected to last 30 days to year. I have found that Home Depot has given me great customer service with any defective products and or returns. Home Depot has the same products and will work with you instead of just taking your money and not standing by their products.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Purchased 1/2" torque wrench model 31425 from Sears 13 months ago. Torque wrench will not lock into place to tighten or loosen. Returned to Sears for exchange only to be told that Craftsman torque wrenches only have a one year warranty. Also told that if I did not have my purchase receipt that there was nothing they could do so, I am out eight dollars. I always thought that Craftsman tools were top of the line. Guess I was wrong. Be careful when you purchase any Craftsman tools. Ask questions about warranty and what is required to return or replace. Hopefully this review will help someone avoid the problems that I have encountered with Craftsman torque wrenches.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

46" Craftsman Riding Mower - I guess you can't expect much out of Sears/Kmart nowadays. I purchased another mower to replace a 10 year old craftsman model. The hydrostatic tranny was leaking grease out both axles within 60 days. It took another 60 days to get a sears technician to look at the mower, and another month or so for them to change the tranny out under warranty. That was last year. Halfway through this year, I was mowing along and mower slowed. I tried to speed back up, but trans handle collar had jumped off the bracket underneath. Put it back on. Jumped off again. The bracket, I assume should move easily, is very tight and won't hardly move. Seems transmission is going out again. The thing is only two years old. My last Craftsman I'm afraid. AYP be damned.

Btw, someone wrote above about Craftsman riding mower not starting. I had issue with mine, usually harder to start the longer it sat. If it wasn't used in a couple of weeks, the battery would die before it would crank. If you have this issue, check that the choke is adjusted properly. At full choke, choke should be fully closed. I had to adjust mine from Kohler. It was open approx 3/16 in. Go figure. What a pile of **. I think I'll spend twice as much next time and get a real mower, something that will hopefully last and I don't have to work on before and during mowing.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Craftsman Pro Series Yard Tractor 7400 is junk. Now have 79 hours on this yard tractor/riding mower. Multiple problems noticed including cheap blades, and now it will not move. Purchased at Sears yet they can't give you good suggestions on how to fix it. Now waiting two weeks for service rep to fix it. Sears refuses to make better blades. Do not buy this product, it is expensive and it is a waste of your money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

I bought a Craftsman Model 917.28851 42" tractor with 21 HP Electric Start, Automatic Transmission. I bought this piece of junk in March 2011. It has never worked correctly. Thank God I bought the 5-year warranty because all the work that has been done to it. It has never cut smoothly, EVER. Tried new blades. Had Sears out to fix it numerous times. July 2013 we had to have the head gasket replaced along with other work. November they totally replaced the engine and put a new mower deck on. Cut a little better but still not smooth. Blowing smoke and hot oil all over my lawn and killed a lot of grass. May 2015 they had to tighten the engine, ALSO replace a cracked head as well as replace another head gasket. Transmission was not working really good but they did nothing about that at all.

I complained and they allowed me to purchase another 3 months of warranty which expired a month ago. Well today it totally stopped, engine runs but the transmission is shot. Will not move. Unbelievable. I cannot believe what a piece of junk this has been since day one. I will NEVER buy another Craftsman product. I am looking for a new furnace and Sears called me, I told them no way in... Buyer Beware of this product. This is the first time I have ever written a complaint like this but I will spread the word about Craftsman as long and far as I can.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Bought two (2) 4 cycle weed eaters at a cost of over $200.00 each. One for my house in Washington and one for my house in Ohio. BOTH have had to be repaired three times. The bearing go out easily and the engine bogs down frequently. You also have to stop and remove the weeds from the shaft every two feet, makes for a long day of trimming. I have tried talking to Sears customer service (three times), each time with someone who doesn't speak and or understand English very well. When I ask to talk with a supervisor, I am disconnected... So I'm done with Sears and Craftsman products. My money will be spent better elsewhere and so will yours.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I purchased the Craftsman 12.5HP rear Engine Riding Mower at the Crystal Lake Il Sears store in 2012. I needed a small riding mower to maneuver around in my yard so I can maintain my lawn. I can no longer walk any distances and this mower appeared to be best suited for my needs. Since I have had this mower, I have had to require Sears Service Techs come to my home and repair it over 8 times as it fails to start way too many times. Sears has also replaced the mower engine because of the difficulties.

I again am awaiting Sears to come on August 4th, 2016 as the mower is not starting again. I have had to purchase an extended warranty package because of the mower failures. Now I find that Sears has discontinued this product. I am seeking replacement of this mower with a comparable make and model. Please respond.

Sears expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

Craftsman makes and sells tools, work gear and lawn and garden equipment. Craftsman makes a variety of single-, dual- and triple-stage snow blowers. Craftsman snow blowers are available online and at Sears.

• Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower: The Craftsman 40V Brushless Snow Blower uses a 40 V electric motor to give you the power of a gas-powered blower with a battery-powered model. It has a 20-inch clearing width and an intake height of 10 inches.

• Craftsman Quiet Snow Blower: The Craftsman Quiet is a gas-powered snow blower made to have a quieter 208cc engine than most in its class. It has a 26-inch clearing width and a 21-inch intake height.

• Craftsman Pro series: Craftsman’s heavy duty, gas-powered Pro series of snow blowers have clearing widths ranging from 24-34 inches. They are available in both dual- or three-stage models.

• Dual-stage tractor snow blower: Craftsman’s tractor-mounted snow blower has an intake height of 21 inches and a clearing path of 42 inches. These can fit tractors or mowers for removing snow from larger areas.

• Craftsman snow cab: If you are turning a tractor or mower into a snow blower, you can cover the driver’s seat with the snow cab. The snow cab covers the driver and protects them from snow and ice.

• Best for: homeowners with small or large lawns.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

Sears Craftsman Tools Company Information