Sears Craftsman Tools

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have called both Sears and the Craftsman line for products problems. First time earlier this year it was on a Craftsman 20-inch floor fan that the black box next the motor broke off and caused the fan to not function anymore. This happened just over the year warranty of course and I was not offered anything to have it fix. So paying $60 for a year's worth of a fan was a waste. Lesson learn. I placed a review about this issue about this fan on the Sears website and they never posted it. I have seen the complaint of the box breaking off from other reviewers.

Another experience is a Craftsman electrical extension cord I bought last year also burned out on one end. I again called Sears and was forwarded to Craftsman who said they could not help me because the cords are covered for 30 days. So just to let consumers know that Sears will not help you if a product they are selling malfunctions and Craftsman will tell you their products are basically only expected to last 30 days to year. I have found that Home Depot has given me great customer service with any defective products and or returns. Home Depot has the same products and will work with you instead of just taking your money and not standing by their products.

Purchased 1/2" torque wrench model 31425 from Sears 13 months ago. Torque wrench will not lock into place to tighten or loosen. Returned to Sears for exchange only to be told that Craftsman torque wrenches only have a one year warranty. Also told that if I did not have my purchase receipt that there was nothing they could do so, I am out eight dollars. I always thought that Craftsman tools were top of the line. Guess I was wrong. Be careful when you purchase any Craftsman tools. Ask questions about warranty and what is required to return or replace. Hopefully this review will help someone avoid the problems that I have encountered with Craftsman torque wrenches.

46" Craftsman Riding Mower - I guess you can't expect much out of Sears/Kmart nowadays. I purchased another mower to replace a 10 year old craftsman model. The hydrostatic tranny was leaking grease out both axles within 60 days. It took another 60 days to get a sears technician to look at the mower, and another month or so for them to change the tranny out under warranty. That was last year. Halfway through this year, I was mowing along and mower slowed. I tried to speed back up, but trans handle collar had jumped off the bracket underneath. Put it back on. Jumped off again. The bracket, I assume should move easily, is very tight and won't hardly move. Seems transmission is going out again. The thing is only two years old. My last Craftsman I'm afraid. AYP be damned.

Btw, someone wrote above about Craftsman riding mower not starting. I had issue with mine, usually harder to start the longer it sat. If it wasn't used in a couple of weeks, the battery would die before it would crank. If you have this issue, check that the choke is adjusted properly. At full choke, choke should be fully closed. I had to adjust mine from Kohler. It was open approx 3/16 in. Go figure. What a pile of **. I think I'll spend twice as much next time and get a real mower, something that will hopefully last and I don't have to work on before and during mowing.

Craftsman Pro Series Yard Tractor 7400 is junk. Now have 79 hours on this yard tractor/riding mower. Multiple problems noticed including cheap blades, and now it will not move. Purchased at Sears yet they can't give you good suggestions on how to fix it. Now waiting two weeks for service rep to fix it. Sears refuses to make better blades. Do not buy this product, it is expensive and it is a waste of your money.

I bought a Craftsman Model 917.28851 42" tractor with 21 HP Electric Start, Automatic Transmission. I bought this piece of junk in March 2011. It has never worked correctly. Thank God I bought the 5-year warranty because all the work that has been done to it. It has never cut smoothly, EVER. Tried new blades. Had Sears out to fix it numerous times. July 2013 we had to have the head gasket replaced along with other work. November they totally replaced the engine and put a new mower deck on. Cut a little better but still not smooth. Blowing smoke and hot oil all over my lawn and killed a lot of grass. May 2015 they had to tighten the engine, ALSO replace a cracked head as well as replace another head gasket. Transmission was not working really good but they did nothing about that at all.

I complained and they allowed me to purchase another 3 months of warranty which expired a month ago. Well today it totally stopped, engine runs but the transmission is shot. Will not move. Unbelievable. I cannot believe what a piece of junk this has been since day one. I will NEVER buy another Craftsman product. I am looking for a new furnace and Sears called me, I told them no way in... Buyer Beware of this product. This is the first time I have ever written a complaint like this but I will spread the word about Craftsman as long and far as I can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sears?

Bought two (2) 4 cycle weed eaters at a cost of over $200.00 each. One for my house in Washington and one for my house in Ohio. BOTH have had to be repaired three times. The bearing go out easily and the engine bogs down frequently. You also have to stop and remove the weeds from the shaft every two feet, makes for a long day of trimming. I have tried talking to Sears customer service (three times), each time with someone who doesn't speak and or understand English very well. When I ask to talk with a supervisor, I am disconnected... So I'm done with Sears and Craftsman products. My money will be spent better elsewhere and so will yours.

I purchased the Craftsman 12.5HP rear Engine Riding Mower at the Crystal Lake Il Sears store in 2012. I needed a small riding mower to maneuver around in my yard so I can maintain my lawn. I can no longer walk any distances and this mower appeared to be best suited for my needs. Since I have had this mower, I have had to require Sears Service Techs come to my home and repair it over 8 times as it fails to start way too many times. Sears has also replaced the mower engine because of the difficulties.

I again am awaiting Sears to come on August 4th, 2016 as the mower is not starting again. I have had to purchase an extended warranty package because of the mower failures. Now I find that Sears has discontinued this product. I am seeking replacement of this mower with a comparable make and model. Please respond.

Purchased a GT6000 Garden Tractor in September, 2012. In 2015 one of the mower deck mounts began to crack. Knowing it was out of warranty I had it welded. This season the other mount completely broke loose. Mower deck dangling. Upon taking it to be welded the repair tech. noticed I had a crack on one side of my frame and the other side was completely broken in two. I called Sears for customer care. After a lengthy conversation I finally got the young lady to schedule an appt. The tech arrived almost 2 weeks later. After examining the frame, he took pictures, sent them to his supervisor and then another supervisor. The tech said they should replace it. But the 2nd supervisor said due to my having it repaired it voided the 5-year warranty on the frame. What 5-year warranty? I was not aware of this warranty. Nor was I informed of this warranty.

They instructed me to contact Sears Solutions. Ever tried to call these guys??? After 3 calls... Being on hold forever and decided to go with the email route. Sent in my detailed story... That was almost 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting. So today I called the number again and decided to just sit and wait. I actually did some work while holding. Finally got through. Explained the situation again. The young lady who I am sure only reads from a manual apologized and said "Let me talk with my manager." She came back and said they could not do anything except offer me a 20% discount on another tractor if I wanted to buy another! Seriously??? Why am I punished because I repaired their failed quality so I could continue to work with the product they sold me? And this was not a pulley or steering rod that went bad... The frame broke in two!!!

So I informed them I would write as many reviews on this tractor as I possibly could! I would not recommend the GT6000 or any Garden Tractor from Sears to anyone. I have traded with Sears a great deal over the years but never have I been so disappointed as I am with this tractor. And now I am stuck with a faulty product that is weak in structure! I purchased the GARDEN TRACTOR instead of just a lawn tractor so I would have a tractor with more durability to cut 3 acres!! Oh well... So goes the cycle of build it cheap and sell it high! After reading other reviews I see I am not alone in this. Sadly many others have the same issues!

My wife purchased a Craftsman self-propelled mower along with the extended warranty from the Greensburg, PA Sears against my better judgement. (Bad experiences in the past). Not even a year old now the mower blew out smoke and oil. Called Sears and was transferred to lawn and garden. Calls not answered on three separate occasions. Spoke with a manager on the fourth call and was assured lawn and garden would return my call within one half hour. Never happened! I loaded the mower in my truck and went to the store where I was told I would have to transport the mower to their repair contractor which was one hour away. ONE WAY. This equates to four hours in round trips. Told them I would not do that. I would take the mower to the junkyard and come home and write a bad review everywhere I could.

They then informed me if I take the mower to the Uniontown, PA Sears my mower would be shuttled to the repair shop. So this is what I did. After signing my mower over to Sears I was told it would be a minimum of 3 weeks to get it back. IT'S JUNE! So I have to watch my grass grow for a minimum of 3 weeks because this is how Sears disrespects their customers. Now we'll wait to see how the repair goes if I even see the $400.00 mower back. It went to Maryland for repairs. Sears in Greensburg had very few customers at 2pm, Uniontown Sears had even less at 3:30pm. No wonder.

My word of advice thru experiences is don't waste your time or money by shopping at Sears. Looking at two stores volume of consumers I think most of the country is catching on to Sears poor business practices. I'm not a person who likes to sit and write bad reviews but Sears sure work hard for theirs. Never again will I walk into a Sears store or look at their website. Too bad, Sears was once a good company with quality merchandise and service. Seems as though they changed their mission statement to selling inferior product that we will not stand behind and milking every dollar from the public by promising everything and delivering on nothing. JUST SAY NO TO SEARS!

Craftsman tractor 2 years old. There is grease all over inside of rear wheels and after checking into it, the rear transaxle cannot be serviced. Transaxle has to be replaced 1/2 the price of the tractor. Not worth fixing and shouldn't have to on a tractor that's not even 2 years old yet.

In spring 2015 bought craftsman push mower. Had to take it back due to it quit on me. Opened the gas cap and the gas was boiling. Took it back and was giving a new one. This one quit mowing also. Took it back and was giving another mower. Should of gotten money back. Mower quits after a couple of hours and will not start. I have never had gas boiling or had so much problem with any other brand as with a craftsman and the motor is made in the USA. Have a old cheap not propelled mower and it starts better than the mower I bought in 2015. There is too many bad products out there and no one is fixing it.

We purchased a brand new lawn tractor (Sears Craftsman). With only two hours on the motor, the engine quit. We had to wait 3 weeks for a technician. Now we have about 7 hours on the mower and the push rod went through the engine. Another 3 week wait just to have the tech tell us, "The engine is broken". Of course, they carry no parts and no spare motors. Customer service will NOT allow you to speak to the tech on the phone before he comes. Twice he was a no-show. Calling customer service is frustrating, time consuming, and requires a great deal of patience. Growing up, Sears was absolutely rock-solidly dependable. You could not outlive your products. What happened? The products are poorly built and the customer service reps are inept. I will never buy Sears again.

I purchased a set of Craftsman locking pliers and found them to be a poorly made product. I must admit that I took them back to my local store and they did refund me. I am satisfied with the support of my local store. My complaint is that I have always thought that Craftsman tools were made in the USA. They are not and that frustrates me. I bought Craftsman thinking that I was being a patriot. The pliers were a joke and the quality showed what some foreign companies are doing to the American consumer in my opinion.

Also, I purchased a tool set with a case to carry the tools and I found that the cheap plastic container was not waterproof in the rain. I went back the next day to resume work in the field, only to find my tools were rusted in the container that they came in. I did purchase more tools to replace some of the rusted ones thinking the whole time that I was supporting the good ole USA. I just found out today that the tools are an inferior set of tools, compared to a set that I thought I was purchasing. I would and will pay more for a product made in the USA from now on.

19.2 volt cordless drill or any 19.2 volt tools by craftsman. I used to buy the cordless tools at least 2 at a time just because I could get them for my employees at a good price and they were worthy of being called craftsman grade. I used to replace them due to loss or theft more than for inability to perform tasks. Now I find I replace for inability to perform. Yes the batteries are smaller but so are the drills and their ability to be craftsmen grade. I wish I could leave a 0 star mark on this company that went from craftsman to crapsman. People if you are looking for a quality tool that will last for years and you plan on using on a regular basis please look for a better place than Sears and step up to a Rigid or Milwaukee but Craftsman should not be on your list of possibilities.

I was at Sears last night in Kingston NY and I wanted to return a tool that broke. One person in the whole store working there where 5 people waiting to be cashed out. That store has went downhill. I waited in line for 35 min. That shouldn't happen.

Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. That's why they command a premium cost. I took an 8mm ratcheting wrench into the store I bought it from few years previous. First off it took almost 15 mins for the ONLY customer service attendant to free up to speak to me. Then another 15 for him to tell me his manager wouldn't allow him to break up a set to replace my tool. So they TRIED to call other stores to see if they had one available. Out of the 3 they called two said they did not and third just rang and rang. So I now having spent near hour at the store to replace a simple tool THAT THEY HAD in a set... I left with manager names and district manager contact info. For what it's worth case number quoted was **. Called district manager number and was patched through to a third world operator who informed me that the system was down and took my contact info on paper, claiming to return my call within 24 hours.

Days later I called again and no info was entered. So I gave info to another person who barely spoke english who claimed to be entering an "escalated issue" claim and swore to be sending me $60 in gift cards for my time and that a person from the customer service corporate dept would be calling me within 48 hours. That was last week!!!

Well, it seems as though I'm finally done with Sears. I really tried to hang in there but their store isn't what it used to be. It appears Sears is no longer an American company. I cannot buy my sockets and tools there anymore because they are Chinese now. And when I call to try and see if I can buy American sockets and tools I have a hard time understanding what they are saying and they don't know at all what I'm talking about. It appears they have also outsourced their call centers too. I have a feeling many others share this same sentiment and are very disappointed at what Sears has become.

I bought a Craftsman wet/dry vac in 2014 for black friday from Sears located on Crosstimbers in Houston, Texas. It's been a year and some months that I have enjoyed it but now the on/off switch has stopped working. After many calls to craftsman, visits to several different Sears stores in an attempt to have it repaired, no one can help me. They won't even give me a price to fix it because they can't find my name. Screw finding my information, I need my vac fixed and am willing to pay for it but all they can offer is for me to buy a new one. What happened to customer service and lifetime warranty? I will never buy this brand again and will make sure everyone knows how unprofessional craftsman is.

Purchased a 33 in, Craftsman snow blower from Sears Sale price $1,798.99. regular price, $2,399.99. E-mailed a question, why the price drop was so deep... Sears replied, it was on sale Taken in by Sears advertisement "FREE SHIPPING, EASY RETURNS TO ALMOST ANYWHERE IN CANADA." I am eighty years old with a permanent torn rotator cuff and was looking for something that would be easy to use. The details suit my needs and I put in my order. After taking my details I was told it would cost me an extra $900.00 for delivery. I cancelled that order. I learned that they will deliver to Sears in Beausejour MB.

I replaced my order and gave my charge no. The new price jumped to $2237.39. I paid for the delivery only to find the blower came with a flat tire the auger made a bad sound but then stopped and seem to work fine. The delivery person said it must be dried paint. Very little snow at the time, the blower was placed into the garage until the next snow fall. Two weeks later, approx. twenty minutes of use, the belt broke and shredded. I bought another belt... approx. ten minutes, the belt shredded... purchased another belt... it shredded. A combined total of use on a new machine approx. forty minutes and three damaged belts.

Called Sears and told them the problem... they said I should have returned within ten days of purchase, that was their policy, a policy designed to fail. I was told to contact the manufacturer... back to Sears then back to the manufacturer who gave a service no. but he won't come out because it is out his comfort zone!!! I was told it would cost me five hundred each trip. I called Sears again, too many times to count... talked to "Nimil" Feb. 20/16, he told me he would look after this personally and would call me back by eleven a.m.

I'm still waiting, being tossed back and forth from Sears to the manufacturer. If I saw the physical machine, read the details, and asked the questions in person, that would make a difference. BUT I bought online a product that I believed to be from a reputable co. and all details advertised as truth. Sears made the choice for me and sent me a faulty and useless machine that has no service available unless I pay for a sixty-mile delivery charge. Free delivery - a lie... easy returns, a lie. Promise of all the above services are designed to lure trusting fools like me. With only forty minutes of use I am stuck with a useless machine and a loss of $2,237.38. Scam or collusion???

I paid $720 Craftsman snowblower (Sears brand) plus 3 year extended warranty. The snowblower worked once in February 2014. The same year, next winter season the snowblower would not start (2014-2015 worst snow season in NY). I waited weeks for Sears home service tech to come and tell me the new snowblower needs a new carburetor (less than a year old). I waited a few more weeks for them to come and install it. By that time, the snow season was over and I shoveled while the snowblower sat in the garage. This winter season I took out the snowblower with the first snow in January, and lo and behold, it did not start again.

I called home service and after speaking to several individuals and waiting several weeks for a technician to come and tell me I need a NEW carburetor AGAIN. I am now waiting, scheduling repair appointments where the technician does not show up. So to date, my expensive snow blower that is less than 2 years old and has not worked after the first use, is warrantied, keeps needing new carburetors and they refuse to replace it. I believe they will continue stalling until my 3-year warranty that is worthless, expires. I would advise consumers to beware of Sears. It may have once been a reputable company with good products, but I have changed my mind and will not spend any more money there.

I bought a 263 Craftsman tool set and a Ratcheting Ready-Bit Screwdriver in November and put a billing address in San Diego - that my co-worker lives there - and a delivery for my parents because I am deploying soon. They mixed the billing and delivery address and sent it to my co-worker's. He left his place last week of December and I had setup a change for my billing to my parents' for December. They delivered to the wrong address by December 2 where my co-worker had already been sent to a new duty station. Someone else who had lived in that, when he left, signed for it as me. The whole time this was going on, I was one of field op with internet or cell phone access.

By the time I had gotten back, I noticed the problem. Called Craftsman and they started an investigation. They called me once to confirm information while I was on my pre-deployment leave. I came back to San Diego, went on another field op and noticed they had finished the investigation and said I have signed for it, which was impossible since I was hundreds of miles away from the wrong address and my co-worker had already left.

I recently contacted them again, trying to get the signature of whoever signed for it so I can go to the place and get my package back or some refund, showing it was not me who signed for it. I am currently waiting on a response for a second investigation which seems I will not get my package or refund, and I am out $200 right before I deploy. I can't believe they got my billing address and shipping address mixed up. So far it seems it will not be corrected and I won't get my money or package back and will never do business with Craftsman again.

About a year ago, a 10 inch chainsaw was purchased from Sears. The saw was used occasionally (homeowner use). About 10 months after purchase, smoke started pouring out of the saw while in use. The smoke smelled like burnt plastic. The saw was returned to the Sears store (still under warranty) and they sent it off to a repair shop. The shop determined that the problem was operator induced and the parts needed to repair it were not covered under warranty. The price they quoted was way more than the price paid for the new saw. The saw was returned to the store unpaired. When attempt was made to pick up the saw, the tool manager would not release it until $50 was paid for labor. Keep in mind the saw had not been repaired.

After writing a letter to the store manager, he waived the $50 and released the saw. When it was brought home, an attempt was made to start it. When it kicked over, the chain and chain bar almost came off. Determined that the chain cover had not been installed properly. The chain adjusting screw was not engaged in the chain bar. Very unsafe condition!! Also noticed that when you try to disengaged the the chain brake to start the saw, the brake handle hits the saw handle which prevents the brake from disengaging. This is what caused the original problem. Although I believe I am 100% right, I am tired of dealing with Sears and hope someone with come to my rescue. Until then, don't buy a chainsaw from Sears. Spend the extra money and buy a well made and reliable saw. PS The saw still has a year left on its warranty. However, it is useless.

I needed a safety part for my Band Saw that I had bought quite a few years back. First I called a number listed on the website but satisfaction. I was on the phone with someone for 30 min and finally gave me another number. I called the 2nd number and got a guy that didn't even know what I was talking about although I had the part number. I finally gave up and said forget it. My wife found it on Ebay for 4.99. What a joke!! Do not buy from this company. I would rather shop at Lowe's for tools.

Received a new chainsaw from my brother. He purchased it and then due to health issues was unable to use the item. Began using the chainsaw in November 2015. Unit functioned well when first started but would not restart after running until it had been left to sit for a day. Called Sears hotline and explained situation. Oscar apologized and indicated that this was rare but offered a recommendation that the idle setting be adjusted. Did the adjustment as recommended but problem did not resolve and after about three weeks of single day use unit will not start at all. Have spoken to Sears three times and gotten no useful solution.

Combed the manual and did all the suggested 'fixes' without result. A scan of reviews revealed that this is a common problem (unlike the hotline indicated). I have come to expect that products/service are not what they were 40 years ago, but a new unit that functions for less than a month? This is a new low even for my decreased expectations. And the 'help' I received was less than useless. I will continue to attempt to get the unit operating, but if I am unsuccessful, I'll be forced to buy a real chainsaw (one that actually works for more than 20 minutes). If anyone has a recommendation for a reliable unit, I'd appreciate it.

I purchased some tools, the item was marked $10 less than what the computer said. I brought this to the attention of the girl who rang me in and she then refunded the item. She asked another boy to help her with the correction and then immediately went to the other side of the sales kiosk and began answering questions from another customer. The boy who was called to help with the return was not fully understanding the original issue and then requested more money for the resale at the lower price when I was not credited for the returned item to begin with. I informed him of the error and then took a while to consider what to do next. He ended up not entering the correct credit amount from the first sale to pay for the second sale for the reduced price toolkit.

I brought this to his attention and he replied the computer tells him what to do. I was able to calculate what I was due and knew I was short about $4.15. By this time a large crowd was behind me waiting to ring out and 15 min. had passed. I could have voiced my frustration better to the kid but I am sure I left him bewildered. My point is if you hire inexperienced high school kids you should have experienced management close by. This is my 2nd bad experience in this tool department in the last week. Please get these kids the support they need, they should not be left unsupervised with no experience.

I bought the Sears craftsman Variable speed Multi-tool at Sears approx. 15 months ago. I was using it a day ago and it just stopped working. I took it back to Sears and the cashier told me it was out of warranty and there was nothing he could because the warranty was only good for 12 months. I do not the it is far or right. I have bought and used tools from Sears all my life and just because it is out of warranty a couple of months and you refuse to replace it, I think is very wrong. If you refuse to replace this I will never buy another sears craftsman product again. And I will tell everyone I know what bad service I received, trying to return this machine. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at ph. # **.

Purchased a 4 Ton Floor Jack in 2008. Paid $209.00. I don't expect things to last forever. Things break. Floor jacks break. I understand that and accept that when I purchase. What don't expect is to be told by Sears that there are NO parts available to repair this jack. Zip, Zero, NADA. I'm just S.O.L. So when it is time to buy something that has moving parts, just remember that 7 years after the sale, not one part for this jack is available. Spend your money wisely, don't make the mistake I made, and buy from a reputable seller that is interested in servicing their product after the sale.

I have shopped at Sears for most of my adult life. I have bought tools, appliances, clothes and shoes. Never had any problems until the last couple of years with returning things. Most recently my arc joint pliers (channel locks) started slipping out of the joints on me. I have had these pliers for about 15 years and used the heck out of them. Basically they are just worn out for all the usage over the years. They are Craftsman pliers. Craftsman hand tools has been all I have ever bought for years. With all the wear and tear though and me cleaning them up several times of the years, the Craftsman name is worn off the pliers and frankly I'm not even sure it was on them to begin with. But you can look at a new pair of these pliers and my old pair and you can see with 100% certainty that they are Craftsman pliers.

BUT, I was told, because the Craftsman name was gone, by the tool manager that they would not exchange them. And I could see in his eyes that he knew they were Craftsman. Really! Sears is practically about to file for bankruptcy and they don't want to honor their own warranties to kept their long time customers. They don't even want to keep their loyal customers. It's no wonder that when I walk into the store I see 4 customers in the whole place and they are usually passing through on the way out to the mall. I told the tool manager that I would, buy new pliers at competitor company and he was totally fine with that.

I went to the Sears tool department today to buy a micrometer and they only had one. So I asked the customer service representative if they had another type because the one they had wasn't the one I needed and she said that was the only one they had. I asked if they were going to get any more and she said "I don't know." I asked if she could check to see if they were going to order any more and she continued to say "I don't know." She proceeded to tell me that they don't know when or what they get when their shipments arrive. I find this hard to believe considering someone has to place an order to receive an order. So I went to Harbor Freight to buy my micrometer and dial bore gauge. As much as I like Sears I don't think I will be shopping at the Volusia Mall Daytona Beach location again.

On Aug. 18, 2015 I placed an order for a replacement Craftsman keyless garage door opener. I spoke with Jessica who finalized the order. She was very professional. The opener was received within the allotted time. I spent numerous hours trying to program it without any success. On Aug. 28, 2015 I called Sears and after being transferred multiple times, I spoke with Dan in the Parts Dept. He was very professional and after researching the file advised that I had been sent the wrong part. I placed an order with him for the correct part and was shocked to find that I had to pay a larger amount for the correct part. After further questioning, he agreed to give me a 10% discount which I appreciated. That order #**. And furthermore, what I don't understand is why I have to pay $9.99 for shipping since it was Sears' mistake and not mine. Thank you for your time and effort.

Sears Craftsman Tools Company Profile