Continental Van Lines

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company promised to have our delivery by one week and told us they make many deliveries from NJ to FL. The move actually took 3 1/2 long weeks and every time I called they would give me a different date of delivery. By the third week I was very upset that they again claimed my move won't arrive until the following week and that is when I had enough and demanded to talk to the owner. When I complained about the service and the run around the "owner" was rude. He claimed that he had by law a month to deliver my move. I told him this was false advertisement on their part and poor service. He then told me to shut the ** up!!! He yelled over and over and hung up on me.

I called the Better Business Bureau and placed a complaint against them. My husband and I tried to call the main number to speak to someone else but we could not get anyone to help, just voicemail. Soon as we placed our complaint with BBB they called us to say they will deliver our move at the end of the week. Since we lived in an apt. the driver took 45 min to figure out how to get to our apt in the back of the complex as he claimed it was a tight fit and that he was not experience enough driver. The driver only brought with him 2 helpers and claimed that he does not unload, only drives. The unloading of our move took 4 hours and my husband had to help the movers or else it would have been longer! After all this mess my husband's new power drill bag with bits was missing but I was not about to call. We cut our losses and moved on. Never again will I use this company nor will I recommend them.

They showed up late. They held my belongings HOSTAGE and refused to honor the 'not greater than' estimate that was provided by their missing in action sales associate, even though I had it in writing. They made me pay IN CASH before they would unload the truck - and ended up overcharging based on hours worked. Furniture was left wrapped in plastic. Items were left all over everywhere! And then the 'foreman' had the nerve to ASK for a tip.

I recently got bad experience with these guys. They quoted and billed me $1000 and after loading the stuff, they threatened us saying that I've to pay $2000 otherwise stuff will be kept in storage or left at the parking lot so I left with no option in paying $2000 and at the destination also while unloading, the driver demanded $200 and threatened us saying that if I don't pay $200 to driver, luggage will be left at the parking lot which was not at all part of the bill they given to us. Because of this ridiculous company, I end up paying $1200 more than it was quoted.

I've gone through the reviews posted in "Movers.com" before reaching out these guys and thought that it is accurate rating but when I gone through this experience it is no where matching to the ratings. We should trust the reviews only which are outside of moving companies or independent to moving companies. These movers are not recommended. It would be helpful if there is some monitoring governance bodies to handle these companies. I strictly DON'T recommend this company to any colleagues, friends and even for my enemies/viewers. If you are choosing "Continental Van Lines" moving company then think that we are buying hell on our own to empty our pockets/to cut our heads. I would have given less than zero rating had there been any such option on this website.

First of all, they have a bunch of foreigners running that company that you don't even understand what they're saying half the time. These men are rude and crude. One of them named Gregory is a very VERY UNPROFESSIONAL, obnoxiously psychotic individual who has the audacity to tell me to ** myself! Then hung up on me, when I told him to calm down when he was getting crazy with me on the phone!!! These people are a scam, they are a ripoff and need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau and have their license revoked if they even have one! Never have I had such a god awful experience!!!

I really wish I had looked more into this prior to the move. Just like every other post on here I was quoted a much lower price than all movers in area. Ended up paying 3X more than I expected and took 6 hours longer than expected. However, this is not even the worst part! They stole some of my stuff. Before I could check the back of the truck they left and took a box with them and a very expensive mirror. I got in touch with the guy and he told me I did not tip him enough money for a job that size. He said if I want the stuff I could drive to Brooklyn and give him $300 more ($100 for ea. guy) and he would return my stuff. I have recorded the conversation and will be going to BBB as well as the police. This company is filled with angry Russian communists and they should be shut down, deported back to their BS country, and shut the companies doors down for good. Do not call any of the referrals that they give you a full list of. Most people you will never reach and the ones that you do they are tiny moves. Sooo ANGRY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Continental Van Lines?

This is my worst moving experience. The sales guy gave me a quote of $375 for 3 men and a truck at $75 an hour but I ended up paying $950. They tell you the price only when they are unloading the truck at your destination. These guys are real scam. Do not use these guys for your moving. By the way, the other 5 star reviews are just posted by their own people. Check out this link - https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/continental-van-lines.html

We got an estimate that was a third of the cost we ended up paying. The movers showed up late (almost an hour late). They broke some of our China while moving it (they dropped several boxes that were clearly marked "fragile" on the floor). They did not listen when we told them to treat something gently or be careful with something (aka the dropped boxes). It took them over two hours to arrive at our apartment and they billed us by the hour - pretty sure we paid for their lunch. They charged us between $20 to $40 a piece for wrapping items like pictures and chairs - that's a first for me. By far the worst moving experience I ever had. What a ripoff!

I moved from the Bronx to Cliffside Park, NJ which was a relatively short move. These guys demanded Cash upfront, not the original agreement. They were lazy and only worked when you were paying attention. They spoke in Arabic very loudly in my Quiet Neighborhood disrupting my neighbors. They yelled at my neighbor because they were blocking her driveway and she needed to get out. They were disrespectful in front of my family. I had to kick them out of my house and almost called the cops on them. Do not use these clowns. They will quote a lower price than anyone else but you end up paying much more because they drag out the job so they can charge more hours since they charge by the hour.

Charge will keep adding from insurance, packing, tolls, gas, miles, even tips...Was quoted $400 for one bed 800 sq foot with about 10 miles. Trick is they will not say anything and make you comfortable while loading stuff into truck. Once you get to where you moving to, they will add all these charges and I had to end up paying $1,100 cash only. If you refuse to pay, they will not unload your stuff and threat you with time and charge even more. They are late, almost 2 hr late, and broke my furniture. Do yourself a favor and don't get trapped like me. Their way of getting people is to entice with very low price. But there are many hidden costs and end up paying twice more than what is quoted, if you are lucky. I am very upset and angry. I just hope that people don't have to go through what I've been through. DO NOT USE!!!

Frank gave me quote of $400 that included moving expense door-to-door, disassembly and re-assembly of bed and furniture. A day before they contacted me and offered me discount if I could reschedule my move a day after, which I refused. They showed up 2:30 hours late without any toolkit for disassembly of bed. Due to their late arrival, we lost our 2 hours slot for moving in our new apartment. After they arrive at our new location, they refused to unload the truck unless we pay them $980 for disassembly of furniture, toll and insurance, which was supposedly covered under my quote. I had to call cops, but of no help.

Since we lost our slot for moving, hence they left with our stuff in their custody and we ended up sleeping on floor that night. After they left, Manager called me, abused me and told me that they won't be able to unload the truck for 2 more days. It was the worst experience of my life. I wish I could have read their review on yelp before hiring them. If you want to save your money, time and don't want to be abused and threatened, please don't hire them!!

They quote you $75 an hour for 3 men and a truck which sounds good however there are many hidden costs. They charge packing material charge which is overpriced and in my case they didn't give me a heads up and all of a sudden I was shown a bill of $300. When they were packing I offered them my tape and shrink wrap but they would not use it and made sure they used their overpriced products and made me pay for it!! Also I got the feeling that they were taking too much for the job. The total job took 11 hours!! I had shown other movers and they had quoted me according to 7-8 hours. I made a mistake and I went with them. When I called the manager I was threatened and told me that I if I don't pay what they are asking they won't remove MY **! All I was trying to ask him is he could do better on the packing material at least. They ONLY take cash and would make your life miserable. Do yourself a favor don't use them. There are many other companies out there!!

'Matt **' gives me a quote of $450. Tells me it is for 6 hours @ 75ph for three packers, who will come pack and move to the new home. I asked about special packing for 3 glass pieces. He quoted $10 extra for each of them so the final quote was $480. On the move day, 3 packers come to pack and move to the destination. At the destination all hell broke loose. The main guy quoted me $958, which includes toll, gas, extra one hour, additional packing charges for a number of boxes some of which include ones packed by me. He asked me to speak to his manager, who behaved like a thug, yelled at me, told me not to act smart if I want my things to be unloaded. The main packer refused to unload my things, locked the truck, moved it away from my driveway till I paid him in Cash!

The guy Matt ** is a non transparent over zealous sales guy and the manager is an awful thug. It took nearly a day for me to recover from the trauma. Still not able to believe that this can happen in the US! Are there no restrictions on such unbridled rowdyism? Are there no regulatory authorities to reign in such unscrupulous sham companies? Do you think I should have called cops since their behavior was terrible? Please please remember. If you are moving ask them for the 'job', don't go by quotations for the hour by scheming guys like Matt **. Beware and take care.

I worked in the moving and storage industry for nearly seven years, almost exclusively in customer service for military moves but still some with COD (cash on delivery/non-military) or corporate. I never worked for Continental, but I wanted to provide some knowledge so people can understand the industry better. For local moves, a four-hour minimum is standard, and I feel for those who weren't told a minimum. Also for local moves, the trip or move is called dock to dock. Basically, it's from the time the crew leaves their company until the time they return. I don't think it's legal for local moves to include a fuel surcharge and this is how moving companies earn revenue to offset the cost of fuel and the labor it costs while the employees are on the clock driving to and from.

Some people might get confused about Vashon's comment with information they have heard or found. I'm saying this because people may get concerned about contracting or brokering out. Although this happens, it isn't common. Also, the other company Vashon mentioned can't move out of state because Moving American of Tampa doesn't have the "hauling authority". This is a small part of how the moving industry is heavily regulated. This is the difference between well-known companies like Atlas, Mayflower, Interstate, etc., and companies you only find in the phone book, online, or through word of mouth. And for those who find companies who don't have hauling authority, you'll learn they are an agent for the larger, well-known companies I listed since they have hauling authority.

An agent to a larger moving company is similar to a car dealership to a car maker. Because of this, the company you hire at origin will pack your goods, then a truck from the large moving company will come to pick up and drive your goods to your new home, and deliver directly; or if you don't have a home at destination, your goods will go into storage at another small moving and storage company, and they'll deliver your goods when you're ready. It is also possible that the large moving company may not have a driver assigned in time for your move, so the company you hire to pack will also bring your goods to their facility to await a driver.

I am very sorry for the lateness some have experienced as well as the poor attitude received. Although there is no excuse for rudeness, frequently, to make jobs worthwhile, more than one is scheduled in the same day for the same crew. Scheduling like this is so very true in the summer. Because moves are scheduled back-to-back, a job may run late and the subsequent moves wouldn't get started until the one running late is done. There can be extra charges, it just depends on your type of move and what your move requires.

Providing a list and description of your items will not help you! If you want a quote that is accurate with price and length of time (which for a local move goes hand in hand), ask for a sales rep to view your goods in person to conduct a pre-move survey. Only then will all of you know how much packing material is needed and how long it will take to do everything, including packing, creating an inventory for non-local moves, and loading the truck. Speaking of loading the truck: Think of Tetris! In order to make the trip worthwhile, the truck has to be densely packed. It takes time to do this.

Going back to the pre-move survey, another reason for this is because everyone's home is different! Your two-bedroom apartment will be different than mine, no matter how you spin or describe it. Another point for having a survey is that it helps if you get a binding estimate. Most companies won't agree to one, but it is worth it to try to find one that will. And even with binding, companies are allowed to charge 10% more to recuperate any losses from your move possibly being more experience than the estimate.

For interstate moves, and I think internationally also, companies are allowed by law to collect 125% of the estimate because the weight and/or the services were more than the survey. This isn't called ripping off or overcharging a customer. Completely legal and, because they are a business that needs to at least break even with costs, understandable. For busy days, moving companies will rent trucks because they have only so many in their fleet.

Here is a tip: when you call a company for a quote, ask if the employees are allowed tips. Go for one that doesn't because they may expect it, probably only for the company itself to make more money on you! If a company does have a no-tipping policy, they typically will allow employees to accept meals and drinks, and some even let employees accept goods that a customer wants to get rid of. Again, check with the company about policy. This also should relieve you of thinking about having another cost associated with the move.

Here is another tip: find a company that handles military moves because they have to run background checks on the employees who handle military moves and go onto bases; however, if a company doesn't run background checks on everyone, they will use their checked employees for military moves before your move. This will alleviate the possibility of being stuck with someone who might steal or do other bad things. Some comments describe how a crew member said a move will cost extra. It can be common, even in reputable companies, for crew members not to read the estimate or other documentation, such as if there is a binding estimate or other promises a salesperson, dispatcher, customer service rep. or manager described on the documentation.

A third tip: if your move is one other than a local move, an inventory will be completed. It is in your best interest to make sure it is accurate. Granted that it is impossible to list every item in a box, try to have the inventory be descriptive. Make sure you agree with the exceptions written. Exceptions are the damage descriptions that have already happened to an item. And one more thing about inventories, packers will pack boxes with like items, meaning items that are like each other, not necessarily by room. This is standard and it actually is in your best interest for this to occur.

For cross-country moves, make sure you are in contact with the driver or their dispatch. Don't wait for the day of or the date before delivery to try to confirm when delivery will be. As far as delivery dates, it depends on if it is a military move or a non-military move. For military moves, there is an RDD, a required delivery date. This is the date the government has assigned as the date your move has to be in your home or in storage, or the delivering company could get in trouble. Again, this is the last date. It is possible for your goods to be delivered before the RDD. Again, know for sure before the date.

For non-military moves, there is a delivery spread. It is a span of dates which gives companies a little flexibility to fill their truck. Eventually, dispatch, the driver, or customer service should be able to tell you the date the truck will arrive (though things do happen, i.e.: weather/nature, breakdowns, road closures, etc.) But don't expect a truck to take only two days to go from Washington to Florida. Again, companies need to try to get the truck filled, and by regulation, drivers can't drive more than a certain amount of time.

A fourth tip: Most companies accept cash, but definitely try to find one that can accept other forms of payment like a check but they will likely prefer a credit card if not cash. Checks are out now because they bounce. They don't want to be ripped off either! I read a comment and I just have to say that people need to be reasonable. A moving company will not weigh each item separately. They can estimate it, but requesting this is ludicrous.

A fifth tip: Companies don't have people waiting by the phone for you to call. Do not expect to get moved the day you call. Even two days is often not going to happen, and wouldn't in the summer. The summer is the busy season for the relocation industry. If you want to be moved in the summer, start thinking about plans and call maybe a month before you plan to move. You shouldn't call too much earlier than this because rates can change depending on the season, especially for interstate and international moves. These are businesses who need to make a living and most aren't trying to rip you off, but be your own advocate, ask questions, do research about companies, and choose wisely if you can choose.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are rude and a complete rip off. I was quoted a price of $75 an hour but was not told about the travel time, $7 a roll for each roll of packing tape, $20 per flat screen TV... The charges kept adding up AND they wanted cash up front or they would stop the job. They barely spoke English but the one guy knew enough to talk money. They broke a box of Lenox dishes and claimed it was "not their fault." They chipped and scratched dining room furniture. They yanked wires from my daughter's stereo system right in front of us and then claimed they didn't do it. They made lewd remarks and had their Russian music blaring all day even after I asked them to turn it down. They talked and text on their cell phones throughout the day. They were obnoxious.

At the end, they threatened to shut down the job unless I gave them more money. I threatened to call the police, and they flew out of my driveway like a bat out of hell, yelling out the window of their rented Avis truck. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. The police did come and I filed a report and I intend on doing everything I can in order to make this horrific company pay for the damages they incurred.

I have a bad experience with this company. It's unprofessional because what happened to me is I took a deal with them over the phone, I had the reservation 3 o'clock. They show at 7 o'clock lol. Second, whatever deal I had they change it after they took the furniture inside the truck, and the funny is when I complain about it this, they start cursing.

I needed to move one small bedroom and dining room table 10 miles away. No boxes, just the furniture. A very easy job that I had done once with just myself (a 120lb woman) and my aunt in about an hour. Continental van lines gave me a quote of $75/hour for 3 men. I knew that this would easily be done in under 2 hours and decided $150 was a good deal.

The 3 men came, loaded my things, and drove to my new house, where they presented me with a bill for about $450. Then one of them got out of the truck and told me there was a minimum of 4 or 5 hours (I forget to be honest) and that it was out of their hands, I had to call their boss. The 2 other movers were hanging out in the truck drinking sodas or something as if they knew this would happen, business as usual. The owner was very condescending and basically said they would not unload my property from the truck until I paid. It was a bait-and-switch. The movers kept saying, "There's nothing I can do, I just work for the boss, you know?" But they are just as guilty because they choose to work for scammers. This "company" is disgusting and should not be allowed to operate. The experience was really worse than I can describe here.

Please do yourself a favor and read the filtered reviews on yelp. Unless you want to be verbally abused, physically threatened, cursed out, manipulated and lied to then stay away from these people. They are racist and disgusting and dehumanizing. I was so traumatized and frankly scared for my life after dealing with them that I went to the police precinct and filed a report. They walked out on the job after I nicely told one of the movers not to speak to me in a degrading manner. Following that they came back up and followed me into my apt, approached myself, my sister and brother in a menacing manner and proceeded to assault us with a barrage of curses and racial slurs. What's worse is when we called the "boss" to complain he was equally disgusting and further verbally abused us and defended the movers.

If you take a few minutes to read the reviews on yelp you will see pages and pages of multiple people who have filed police reports and consumer reports against them. We were lucky that they left without starting the job, unfortunately many others were forced to dish out thousands or hundreds of dollars above their initial quoted price while the movers held their belongings hostage and threatened them demanding cash. Please please please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Don't be fooled by the initial affordable quote. It is a wonder that this company is still in business and I only wish I'd read the yelp reviews first. We found the company on thumbtack.com and the thumbtack reviews are clearly fake and I've already alerted thumbtack who were equally appalled after seeing the yelp reviews and working on removing this company from the site. I shudder at the thought of anyone else having to endure what we did. Please do your research.

I'm a student who needed to relocate from a dorm to an apartment. They arrived to my dorm in Rutgers. I didn't have a lot to move but they wrapped everything that needed to be wrapped and treated my possessions with care. There was no hassle and the price they have me over the phone was the set price I had to pay. They brought everything into my apartment and after I paid them and they were on their way

This company is a ripoff. They give a cheap quote and then add extra charges when they get there late. Called the supposed boss and he was very rude. The contract said nothing about the extra fees and he hung the phone up on me after saying he hate people that don't want to pay. I would highly recommend NOT USING THEM.

After a bad experience using their services I had contacted the DOT. I was informed they have two DOT #'s. One # to move someone & the other is to contract out as a broker. I was made aware that the # they have for actual moving was revoked. They only have a Broker's License. They lost their license in April of this year.

My experience was that my move started out as Continental but ended up as Moving America of Tampa. I was told by someone in the company Moving America of Tampa is their sister company, owned by the same owner as Continental. But be careful because Moving America of Tampa can't move you out of state as they don't have the proper license to do so. I would contact the DOT & the BBB, & I would try & report their bad business practices to the state if you could.

I hired Continental to move me from one house to another house 10 minutes away. I was specific on the size and contents of my home and was told I would be charged $70/hour, and the move would take approximately 4-6 hours. CASH only. The day of the move, they showed up with a RENTED Avis truck that was too small for all of the contents of my home. It took almost 4 hours for them to load the truck and though there were 3 guys, only 2 were working because 1 kept talking to me and being somewhat lewd, making me very uncomfortable. Upfront, they asked for a $100 tip for EACH of the guys and decided to charge me a flat rate of $525 for the move.

I explained that if they wanted $300 in tips, it would be included in the $525, which they agreed. After 6 hours, they were only able to move my large items, leaving me to rent a U-Haul later that week to move all of my boxes, pictures, etc. myself. I paid $525 AND gave them the $300 since they were very threatening and yelling, plus being very inappropriate with me. I regret giving in to their demands and simply should have called the police. I have tried several times to call the company and they either do not call me back, tell me to file a formal complaint, or speak with the driver directly if I wanted my $300 back. I have moved several times and NEVER had such a terrible experience with a moving company. AWFUL.

Writing this review while the movers are still here... I have that 'strange' feeling that it does not happen in the U.S. We booked the appointment with an English-speaking salesperson, assuming that we will be dealing with an American company. We WERE SO WRONG!!! BACK TO THE USSR!!! The same attitude and the tactics.

I never heard that one is supposed to pay before the job is actually completed. Those guys demanded money as soon as they arrived at the destination, of course overcharging like 10% on top what is in the contract. We never have been told that we were supposed to pay for extra miles over 100 miles... They charge distance, apparently, from their original destination. When I tried to call the company, I got a Russian guy with the thickest accent possible who demanded me to speak Russian as well, since he understood that I speak the language as well. He basically refused to speak English to me... after I finally convinced him to switch to the language of the country he lives in and tried to ask some questions about overcharging, he started cursing me... and I mean it: literally cursing me.

I have never seen this kind of service in any countries I used to live in, with the exception of the former Soviet Union. Apparently, they keep one or two American salespeople to ensure that potential customers understand what the basic conditions are. While looking online for a cheap moving company, this one comes first, but do not be deceived...it is not cheap and is a lot of trouble for your own money.

I spoke to someone on the phone, and then they emailed me and quoted me a flat rate of $525 for 7 hours. After the person arrived, he made me sign a contract saying that this was just a formality. Stupid of me to sign. I was supposed to get three men - two actually worked, the third did not work at all, instead started chatting with me realizing I am single and kept asking me why I wasn't married, etc. I told him I was feeling uncomfortable and said I was going to complain.

I got the men pizza to eat and coffee and tea since the other two looked tired. The man who did not work at all then calls the company and tells me that it is going to take 11 hours instead of 7, and he used all packing material which was all extra and to pay. All the time he kept asking me what is in the safe. When we reached the destination, they asked me to pay in cash. I have an email which says to pay by CC, and I did not have enough cash and had to borrow from the neighbor. I called the company to complain, and the person at the other end yelled at me and told me to pay up.

The movers then demanded a 20% tip upfront and that he would not unload the truck again, making me feel very uncomfortable. At that point I told him I am calling 911. I was about to hit it when he looked worried and started unpacking. I was going to tip, but the whole behavior was unacceptable. Finally, I got tired of his nonsense and called two of my male neighbors, and finished unpacking and assembling in 2 hours what they had taken 7 hours to pack. Do not use this service ever.

First, they called me and told me they would be 3 hours late. I called the the main person I had take charge of my move, Gregory, and he said they would get there after an hour. After 1 hour, they arrived and immediately said they were hungry, thirsty and they wanted soda. I had to make one of them tea (he wouldn't stop asking). The way they handled furniture was horrendous. They nearly put a hole through my wall by simply picking up a chair and trying to carry it on their backs. One guy took about 4 cigarette breaks and honestly looked clueless. The worst part is that because they go by the hour, I was told they would take 5 hours for my house and about $400. After working about 4 hours, one man came up to me and said they would take an additional 5 hours and I needed to pay $1250 right then and there. I was furious because that was 3x the amount they told me! I called Gregory again and when I told him how much they were asking now, all he said was, "That was the deal..." and hung up on me. This is terrible service and the people are so rude.

On the phone I spoke with Anthony, a very easy to understand American who made it seem like this whole process would be so easy. He gave me a flat rate, taxes included, and told me I would not need to purchase anything else that the movers would blanket and wrap my furniture securely. After the movers were 30 minutes late, I called to see if they were lost. I was told they were over an hour away in Brooklyn and would be coming shortly. Mind you, I had the first appointment of the day. After the movers finally showed up, they didn't even apologize for being late and then proceeded to tell me I would be charged extra money for blankets and tape to secure my furniture. Things only got worse from there. Not to mention I'm 8 months pregnant and both men came into our home reeking of cigarette smoke.

The movers then got lost and made me drive 15 minutes to go meet them so they could follow me to the final destination. Seriously, you can't follow a GPS? Also, their Russian accents are so thick you really cannot understand a single word they said. Very different from the guy Anthony who I booked with. As soon as the movers got there, they wanted full payment. So I gave them what I owed and was going to save the tip for after everything was moved in. 20 minutes later, one guy was still moving furniture inside and the other guy was just hanging around our house petting our dog. Very creepy. Finally the guy just blurted out, "So are you going to give us a tip or not?" I said, "Don't you think that is a little rude to ask for considering you were almost 3 hours late and didn't even apologize?" (I had all intentions of tipping, just wanted everything off the truck and in place first).

He then proceeded to raise his voice and when I turned my back to him, he yelled "Hey lady, listen." Once that was done, my husband and mother came running and we asked him to leave our house immediately. After 5 times he finally left. I immediately called their company to complain. I asked for Anthony several times, who they could not seem to get in touch with, so another Russian fellow said I could talk to him and that he was a manager. I began to explain our situation, starting with the movers being almost 3 hours late, and the response I received was, "Okay, but they got there right?" like it was no big deal that they were that late. No apology given. A week later I still have not been able to get in touch with Anthony. Do not hire this company!

Continental Van Lines was contracted to pack my house and put belongings in storage for a month, then ship them from New Jersey to Texas. Most of the items that I instructed to pack with care (bought them extra bubble wrap) arrived broken and furniture damaged. They stole approximately $6,000 worth of my belongings, mostly kitchen equipment and serving pieces (new boxed pots and my grandmother’s antiques) and even some clothing. I paid $400 for $48,000 moving insurance and they offered me $488 as a settlement. Now is that a fair settlement?

I contracted with Continental Movers of Bayonne, NJ to move the contents of a summer home in CT to Florida. They were paid by check on pickup and were to be paid by check on delivery. The pick up did not go smoothly; they doubled the quoted estimated cost after the items were all on the truck. There was little I could do, but pay half, which I did and agreed to pay the other half, also by check on delivery. So much for their low ball estimated quote. Well, they were to deliver on the 22nd of Jan. They never showed. I had to call them; they didn't even call to let me know. Their explanation was that the truck broke down in Maryland, and wouldn't be repaired until the end of the week.

Today, I learned from the driver of the company they jobbed it out to that it was a lie and that they were asked to to lie to cover them also. He told me the contents were still in NJ and that it would take him several more days to get it to me, because he had other deliveries first. I told him I wasn't happy with the lies and the nonsense from Continental. He had his boss, Miki ** of Mega Transport, call me. Mike told me I now had to pay him cash; there would be a $175 credit for the missed delivery date and inconvenience and costs I incurred to change plane tickets twice, but that it had to be cash upfront to the driver before I could inspect anything to ensure nothing was missing or broken.

I never agreed to cash upfront; I couldn't. I don't have a local bank in Florida. My bank is still in CT and I could not get that kind of cash. Also, I only pay by check. The last three moving companies I used, I paid by check on pickup and delivery and there was never an issue. There was no issue with my check to Continental and there would be no issue with my check to Mega Transport. However, I feel what they are doing is acting like thugs trying to extort me. Why are they so afraid to let me see my contents and make sure nothing was damaged or stolen?

If you want this kind of nightmare, go ahead and deal with Continental Movers and Mega Transport. I wish I never had heard of either of them.

I moved from MN to NY for work. I was told the same people who pack my stuff would be the same to drop every off - lies! I was told my quote was heavy so I would not have any surprise charges - lies! My move was outsourced to Best Price Moving who are also horrible! My things were already packed and the movers replaced my stuff so they could charge me more for packing. My stuff was picked up on 9/19/12 and I was given a window of delivery that, at the latest, my stuff would be dropped off by 10/12/12, a lie! When the movers were leaving, they insisted I give them a tip and stood over me when they required I complete the evaluation before they would leave. My stuff was put in storage for three weeks.

After weeks of no one answering or returning my calls, on 10/13/12, I got a call from the driver that they have to rent a small truck because my road wasn't big enough for a semi - lies! I gave $1156 for a deposit, $916 at pick up, $802 was supposed to be my balance but I had to to give $300 more so they could rent a small truck. I do not have that kind of money to just give away. They threaten to put my stuff back in storage if I couldn't pay for the smaller truck. When I asked what the compensation was for delay in delivery, $25 a day!? **, I've been sleeping on the floor for close to a month. I'm mentally exhausted and physically in pain. Moving is difficult enough as it is. Please do not use CVL or Best Price Moving if you care about your belongings!

I hired these people to do a move from Zeeland, MI to Fort Lauderdale, FL in February 2012. I was quoted $1400 which has turned into almost $5000.00. My fees have been paid off, and I still do not have my key. They gave my stuff to another company, White Glove Relocation, Able Moving and Midwest Distribution. I still do not know where my things are, and I can never get a hold of anyone to help.

Continental Van Lines NJ: unethical movers. We were quoted $895.00 and had to pay $2275.00. We made the mistake of overnight storage. We were told delivery would be at 9:00 am and they showed up at 7:00 pm after several calls. They tore a gutter off the house and put a hole through the wall; there are missing items and more damage than not. The worst part is how stressful a move is, especially with a child, and this company uses it against you.

Continental Van Lines Company Profile