Commercial Electric

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Purchased product 1000 666 668, model k40037, outdoor weather-proof LED spotlight. These are rated/covered for 25,000 hours life. After 2 years of night use (about 9,000 hours) I have several units that have gone dim or failed. Price was low -- $7 -- so replaced them. But when I tried to file a warranty claim for the bad units I was unable to reach the company. Selling store would not honor the warranty since it's well past return dates. I would probably buy again based on price but displeased with the claimed warranty and lack of support.

Package reads indoor/outdoor meets military specs. I keep them in an unheated room in my toolbox. I needed to use some out doors they broke in two pieces when tightening, or the locking tab shears of. The temp was only -12. These where black, I had some white ones in the same package, different manufacturer, they worked just fine. The sku # 762-923. I went back to Home Depot they couldn't help. And I find them invisible on line.

I had these bulbs for years until Home Depot stopped carrying them. I never had a problem. You don't use them in lights that you turn on and off all the time. I had one in my hutch that stays on 24 hrs a day. It lasted 2 yrs. That's a lot of hours. Another one I have in an outside lamp that just burned out. I always date them when I put them in. It was dated 12/31/08. Besides the normal melting of the ballast (slightly) where the glass enters it I've never had a problem. I must say the Commercial Electric outlasted the Ecosmart that Home Depot carries now. And the Ecosmart are only rated for five years with no warranty. Correct myself two yr from date of manufacture. So if you buy in bulk and put them on the shelf for two yrs you're out of luck. When the LEDs get cheaper I'm going to try them because I can't find a bulb as good as the commercial electric bulb anymore. But I don't use CFL bulbs in bedrooms or anywhere I'm going to walk in and out of. No fluorescent bulb was made to be turned on and off in short periods. It shortens the life of the bulb.

Commercial Electric EDXO-14 CFLs need to be taken off the market. I had one installed in a fixture above my kitchen sink. It flickered a few times and that is what got my attention. After removing the globe, the CFL was hanging by the wires because the plastic broke right where it goes into the metal base. The top of the plastic was smoking hot and charred. Fortunately, I was there at the time or this could have started a house fire.

I purchased about a dozen Commercial Electric bulbs. The one I use outdoors in a glass enclosure has been working fine for years but of course it is slow to reach full brightness. The indoor applications have a high failure rate. There is no heat damage but they just fail thus negating any cost savings possible due to low electricity cost. I did not keep accurate count but my best guess is 20% fail in a year. Most are still operating but they still fail after a few years. The goal of a nine year life is a complete sham.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Commercial Electric?

All of the CFLs I have were purchased from Home Depot. Four - commercial EDXO-23 were used in the basement, about 4hrs/week (208hrs/yr) of which two showed signs of overheating and melting, a possible fire hazard! Seven - commercial EDXO-14 were used in the garage and front lights, about 2hrs/day (730hrs/yr) of which four showed signs of overheating and melting, a possible fire hazard!

I am very happy with the 40-watt light fluorescent bug lamp (# 848-954). They have lasted beyond my expectations. Out of six eave lights, I only had to replace two in 11 years. These are wonderful lights that are low in electrical consumption and discourage insects from flying around the light fixtures. Based on my experiences, I would highly recommend these lights. Now, if I can only find a dealer as Home Depot no longer stocks the product nor can I find it available online. I've written Commercial Electric directly for information as I want to have a couple of spares on hand as at least 3 of the lights have been in over 11 years.

A couple of years ago, I installed 2 compact fluorescent light bulbs in the shed attached to my house. The brand is Commercial Electric and the model is ES42 - 42 W. They worked well and provided good light. Yesterday, I turned them on and when I went into the shed, I noticed that one was not working. When I went in a few minutes later, I could see smoke and smelled burned plastic. I took the bulb down and the base had 3 melted holes, one of which was quite large. The light receptacle, which the bulb had been screwed into, had also started to melt. This has happened to me with other brands of these bulbs although not to the same extent. This looks like a fire hazard to me. I am getting rid of all these compact fluorescent bulbs in my house and I will go back to the old-fashioned kind that don't melt when they fail.

I happened to small a fire as I have a three-storey home and walking around for several moments, I realized it was coming from the kitchen ceiling. I looked up and suddenly saw a fire on my recessing lighting high hat. I immediately turned off all the power, shut off the breakers and waited for it to cool off. I am so very thankful I was home that day. Who would have ever imagined having to come home to a home that could have burned down from the energy efficient light bulbs I changed out in my entire home? After further inspecction, I realized several of these bulbs looked like we're going to catch on fire and immediately removed all the bulbs from all fixtures in my home. The SKU# was 292-460 Model# EDXO -14 number on bulbs where 440458 and they where purchased at Home Depot. I tried calling Commercial Electric but only got an answering machine and never a call back. I am disappointed that this company shows a total disregard for the safety of the Americans who support their wages. I will never buy another Commercial Electric product ever again.

I had a light bulb almost start a fire. It burnt the light fixture that it was in and now have to replace the light. Model # EDSO-9 120V 60Hz 9w 168A V# 42836.

I have had two Commercial Electric CFL #EDOX-14, bought from Home Depot. It popped, smoked, and burned in an overhead light fixture. Luckily, there had been no house fire.

I have the same situation as other numerous complaints. Commercial Electric's SKU #292-460 bulb with a plastic base melted and burnt after 2 yrs in service. I'm concerned enough with these bulbs that I am removing all of this brand from my house.

The Customer Service number is no longer working (surprise!). I'm interested to know if there has ever been an actual fire associated with these bulbs (or this condition) and if there is a pending consumer alert. This is a potential fire hazard and personal electrocution when removing failed bulbs.

I purchased 30 bulbs from Home Depot Manuf. Commercial Electric 120-v light bulbs (EDXO-14). The bulb needs to be on a recall list. I had one catch fire in my tiffany style lamp while I was lucky enough to be at home to see and smell it burning. I installed the bulbs in 2010. I have since removed them all and will return to Home Depot with a complaint. I'm keeping the bulb that caught on fire to save as proof. It could burn your home down.

Commercial Electric CFL, model # EDXO-14, burned where glass tube enters plastic base. The lamp was returned to Home Depot for replacement.

I have a bunch of bulbs SKU #423-599, model EDXO-14. They are all looking like popped corn. I am afraid they can burn my house down so I am replacing them. The customer service only allows you to listen to menus, in other words no customer service. I bought them from home depot but called the 800 number listed on the lights. Risk of home fire due to defective lights.

I installed commercial electric light bulbs, model EDXO-14, in an open globe ceiling fan light about a year ago. Two of them arced and showed burning at the glass to ballast base junction of the bulbs. These bulbs are rated to last 5 years. These bulbs should not fail this fast and definitely should not fail by arcing at the light to base junction. This could be a fire hazard if they fail in an unattended room. I attempted to contact the manufacturer at the 800 number and it did not allow me to leave a message.

I have three lights in my basement that are Commercial Electric lights. They use two Compact Fluorescent 4 pin bulbs. You can't get them out of the light "socket." The instructions that came with the bulb tell you to turn the power off to the room with the fixture. You have to do that or you will be electrocuted, so Lord, help anyone who does not read the directions. The people who designed this lighting system should be in a well-designed prison.

I just had a Commercial Electric fluorescent bulb model EDXO-14 burn out and nearly catch fire. It appears to have shorted out, and the base where the bulb enters melted and turned black/brown, creating a lot of smoke and a noxious odor. Luckily we where home and turned it off in time before it caught fire.

After about two minutes, I went to unscrew the bulb, and burnt my fingers. This bulb is a fire hazard. I called the company immediately and the recording said that this number is no longer accepting messages.

Compact fluorescent bulb model CBPESL23TM I purchased at Home Depot does not work and others in the same bubble package do not last very long. These are inferior quality and I am attempting to contact the manufacturer. I just expect to get what I paid for especially for purchases at a US retail outlet like Home Depot.

Upon turning on light in my daughters room (fan with 4 lights), the light bulb (SKU 591-830, Model EDXO-23 120V 60Hz 23W .330A V# 42836) popped really loud. We actually saw a light colored arc come from the base of the bulb. Then the bulb started smoking and had a terrible odor. We turned off the light to investigate and found that the light bulb had actually burned and melted at the plastic base. It was a very scary incident for my daughter as well as our whole family. We had these bulbs through-out the house and felt the need to remove all of them and replace them all with standard light bulbs. Also, upon trying to remove these spiral lights bulbs from the rest of the house, several of them broke off in our hands as we unscrewed them, leaving the base of the bulb in the light bulb socket. We had to turn off the electricity to the whole house and get tools to unscrew the broken bases out of the sockets.

The twist florescent bulbs (all wattage) short and burn at the base where the glass enters. I have returned over 20 bulbs to the company in the past year. I have approximately 20 bulbs of this type in my home. They have all experienced this problem. One became so hot I burned my fingers removing it and one began smoking.

I wanted to take a moment to convey a very concerning experience that happened this week to me and my family. In 2009, I purchased the high efficiency florescent Electric light bulb, SKU # 772879, MODEL EDSO-9, from Home Depot in an attempt to save energy. This past week, however, much to my shock and dismay, the spiral light bulb overheated and ignited an electrical outage in my home that set me frantically searching for the source of the blow. When the problem was located and the bulb was removed, the base of light bulb was not only visibly overheated, but it also had a small puncture on the side of the plastic at the base. In addition, the plastic at the base was burnt and was a crusty yellow and light brown in color. When the bulb blew, it set off a very strong burning electrical odor which caused me great concern because my kids were home at the time.

I do not think it is worth investing in these light bulbs when there are safety issues that it appears no one has addressed. To me, this particular model bulb is not safe to have in any household. As I read many complaints on the ConsumerAffairs.com website, I became curious if the issue of the burning plastic and cracks in the plastic base have been brought to anyone’s attention. Are the energy efficient light bulbs safe? Is the strong odor toxic? Are we putting our family in danger? Has the company Commercial Electric been informed and are they working on fixing this problem?

Fluorescent three-way bulb. The base of the bulb that goes in socket is defective.The plastic that separates the center contact from the sides cracked and shorted out. The result, it short damaged the lamp to where it has to be rewired with a new cord and socket.

I have trouble with their spiral light bulbs and so have many other people. They do not last any longer than normal light bulbs and they sizzle and pop, smoke, and stink when they burn out. Are they safe? It isn't just this brand. GE does the same and another one I tried. This is a big rip off to the consumers.

I bought light blubs with a 7-year guarantee. When it would burn out before 7 years, I would call the consumer number and they would ask for the number on the blub and if it fits into the time period, they would send a new blub. Now, when I call the phone number listed, I get a recording, "All circuits are busy, please call again later." After a week of calling, it’s the same message. If they are not going to respond, it sounds like a phony number and, therefore, there is no way to contact the company. Question or complaint: How does one make contact as before? There’s no damage, I just want to make contact.

I purchased some of the new bulbs that is supposed to last 5 - 7 years. Two of them burned after a year. It smoked and had a terrible order. I would like to get a refund from commercial electric. SKU 292460 MODEL EDXO-14

My contractor purchased ten florescent lighting fixtures from Home Depot, made my a company called 'Commercial Electric'. The lighting fixtures in question come with a vertical florescent light bulb that 'snaps' in to the four-prong outlet. So far, three of the light bulbs have just fallen out of their fixtures, and shattered, and in one case, one fell and broke on my head. I notice that the very tiny clips that hold the light bulb in place is highly sub-standard, and should be recalled.

I am especially upset by this, being my city and state requires by code that I use this type of lighting in my kitchen and bathrooms. Dangerous falling light bulbs that could cause serious injury.

2 separate times, two separate energy efficient light bulbs purchased separate times from same store. When bulb usage nearing end of usage become extremely hot and start smoldering. 1 instance ignited and flames were produced as a result.

I had a Commercial Electric bulb Model ES42 start smoking while in a light fixture. It had a horrible odor to it also. Tried to return the bulb to Home Depot and they wouldn't accept it because I didn't have the original package. When you smell the bottom of the bulb you could smell the burn odor. The girl at the returns counter shook the bulb so hard that she shook something loose and blamed it on me.

Fortunately my house didn't burn down. All I want is the price of the bulb back - $7.50.

My model SKU # 738-704 23 watt florescent light bulb overheated with electrical odor. There was no smoke noted. The base of the bulb (not the fixture) is visibly overheated and the base has blistered due to heat.

Home Depot would not accept the bulb without a receipt which I am searching for at this time.

Commercial Electric Company Profile