Margate, FL

4.3/5 (274 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Page 70 Reviews 2045 - 2075
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

When I had to make a move for my husband's job, I searched for a local moving lines online and Colonial Van came up. So I called them and spoke with a gentleman. I liked the way he was on the phone, and everything logistically made a lot of sense in terms of being available, flexible for the needs that we have and within our budget. However, the two gentlemen they sent out took way too long to do what they needed to do in the house - though I had everything boxed up. They had the furniture and a lot of boxes, but they were in my house for a long time the whole day.

Also, they put a ding on the hardwood floor in my foyer. I saw that they did it but I didn't say anything to them. I was a little upset about it and I was hoping that they would say anything about it during that time but they didn't. I felt uncomfortable so I didn't bring it up while they were in my house. But other than that, everything went perfectly. Colonial Van solved a lot of problems that I had very quickly and within the budget. In fact, I was under a tremendous amount of stress and we did wait until the last minute to get them to arrange and apparently, they accomplished everything that I truly needed to accomplish. So overall, I had a very positive experience with Colonial Van.

Colonial Van Lines response

Customer satisfaction is our ultimate goal here at Colonial Van Lines therefore; we are pleased to hear of your satisfaction with the services rendered. We extend our sincere gratitude for the efforts made in sharing your experience with the public and we wish you all the best at your new location. Sincerely, Colonial Van Lines.

www.colonialvanlines.com

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

We decided to move closer to where our grandson lives now that we're retired, so we called two or three moving companies and they gave us their best quote to begin with. Eventually, we chose Colonial Van Lines. The price didn't stay as quoted over the phone however since we had more stuff than we thought we have when we talked to them.

Colonial Van Lines has nice people but they did run behind-schedule. On the first night, the driver was about five hours late since his engine quit. It was around 9:30 at night before he got there to do the inventory. Then the same thing happened the day of delivery - he had a flat tire - so we waited. I also wasn't made aware that I have to give him cash at delivery, without which he wouldn't start unloading the truck. It took me about an hour to get cash so the driver had to sit and wait. If I had known about the need to give him cash, I would have gotten it during the time we were waiting for him to arrive so that part was a little bit bad. Nevertheless, I'd probably recommend them still.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

I had to move because of a job assignment change and I had a good experience with Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

Mover did not show up until the day after the scheduled time. He did damage to my driveway as his truck got stuck and I had to call the police to have his truck removed. Initial load took 8 hours and shouldn't have taken that long. I would never recommend Colonial for anything.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2015

I relocated to North Carolina from Maryland to be with my daughter and found Colonial Van Lines through the Internet. I called several moving companies but the girl I spoke to from Colonial Van Lines was so organized and knew everything. She instilled confidence in me. There were some others that I almost went with but I didn't get that same feeling and there was even an obnoxious attitude by one. But not when I called Colonial. They seemed pretty good. Everybody that I talked to was very useful.

There was only one time that I got nervous. There was a guy who left a message, a voicemail, and said that he'd be in contact with me in a couple of days and then I didn't hear from him. I emailed him and it must have just been the timing -- that maybe it was late at night. But when you're moving, weird things go in your head and I got nervous. But he called the next day and everything was fine. He made me a little nervous but it worked out fine.

The good thing is that the girl from Colonial called and she told me my final estimate. I asked for her to email me the information since I did not have a pen and she said she would. I never got an email. I called when I got down here, and she gave me my balance but it would have been nice to have an email of my final balance so I would know. I asked when they would be coming and the girl asked if I wanted her to contact the driver. I said no, not thinking they were coming that day. It worked out okay but it was partly my fault by not letting her contact the driver. So all in all, Colonial Van Lines is REALLY good.

www.colonialvanlines.com

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

They arrived unprepared and extremely late. They had two guys, and one was very young guy that was tattooed up, smelling with foul odor and it took them a full 8 hours all day just to wrap my furniture. Then they had to come back and the truck they brought was too small, and had to leave everything again pushing my move out 3 additional days late. Then they came back with a bigger truck but it took all day again to load my furniture. And they just threw the items on the truck breaking mirrors, scratching up valuable furniture and broke my son's crib in half by putting boxes on top. This was the worse move experience by far and I would not recommend this company to anyone. It took four months to get a claim processed and it was a huge hassle and nightmare.

LaTonya,

I know we discussed a heavily discounted move as resolution for what took place during your move back in 2012, but when a resolution specialist spoke with you you mentioned a move sometime in 2016. Our online reputation is important to us, and would like to work on a resolution as quickly as possible.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

I chose Colonial Van Lines because they called me back. The moving coordinator and account manager were really good. The pickup and delivery process were very good too.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

It looked like my possession were put in the truck with a snow blower. Boxes used by the movers were crushed. Had one chair with a broken leg, had a speaker that had a smashed corner, my mattress was wrapped with a moving blanket, but the corner was wore thru the blanket like somebody drag it and wore out the blanket and wore into the mattress and the mattress was water stained from something. The list is too long to continue. Will never recommend this company to anyone.

Randy,

It is my understand that a member of our satisfaction team as attempted to contact you to resolve what took place during your move, but have not been able to have a conversation with you. Customer satisfaction is our top priority at Colonial Van Lines, and would like to have the opportunity to speak with you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

I would like to commend Colonial Van Lines for making my move from Colorado to Montana nearly seamless. I had to be back to work within days of my scheduled move and was very worried about the "window" that I was given for delivery of my belongings to Montana. It worked out FABULOUSLY! I was packed and on a van on Friday evening - thanks to 3 very hard workers! I was to meet the moving van on Sunday at 2 pm so left Denver early to make sure I was at my new place to receive my "home". The driver was delayed due to another customer in another city, but it worked out great!

The driver was at the door of my new home at 8:00 am - just as promised. Both of the fellows unloading my things were very considerate of my things as well as my home. I was very pleased with the entire experience! I will recommend Colonial to all of my family and friends and would definitely use them again for any cross-state moves :) Thank you to ALL of you who took part in coordinating this life changing experience! I appreciate you all!

Colonial Van Lines response

Colonial Van Lines extends our sincerest gratitude for allowing us the opportunity to coordinate your relocation. We thank you for your business and wish you the absolute best at your new location.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

We moved from Memphis, Tennessee to Orlando, Florida. My wife chose Colonial Van Lines and the people were easy to get along with and we didn’t have any problems with them. The only problem we had was when we got down here, they were supposed to be here 8:00 Saturday morning and they didn’t show up till about 3:00 that afternoon.

Robert,

I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the services rendered by Colonial Van Lines. I also appreciate the feedback provided on the movers we sent to conduct the move, consumer feedback is what allows us to make sound informed decision moving forward. If there is anything we at Colonial Van Lines can do for you in the future please do not hesitate to contact us. (954) 772-1610 ext. 144

Resolution response: Dec. 25, 2015

I initially had a bad experience with Colonial Van Lines but they've resolved my issue by paying me what it cost to have the rest of my furniture moved. I am happy with the results and would recommend their services in the future.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

The movers did a great job. The problem was the truck was not big enough to hold all my belongings. The movers said the hospital bed and my riding lawn mower was not on the list. When I talk to Ben I told him I had two riding lawn mowers and I know I told him about my hospital bed. I specifically mention that because how heavy it was. Because they couldn't pick up everything I had to leave a lot of stuff in the house and make further arrangements with the buyers of my house to give me another day to get my things out. I had to rent another U-Haul pick up the rest of my stuff and put in storage until I can arrange for it to be delivered to my house.

Ken,

Sorry to hear you had a difficult moving experience, and want to let you know I am here to resolve the issues that took place. When you have a moment can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 x 144.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

This was my 6th move experience and my first with Colonial and I only had one good contact (Benjamin **) throughout. Communication was terrible, packing was terrible, quotes were way off, customer service and follow up was abysmal - I did all the calling and follow up. They damaged furniture and I STILL don't have my refund for that. I asked for additional compensation due to all the challenges and I have received NOTHING from anyone. I have asked to talk to the CEO to give my feedback and nothing - no one will pass me on to higher ups. This was a horrible experience from every aspect and I will NEVER use them again and I will never recommend them to anyone!!!

Cheri,

I am sorry to hear you had a difficult moving experience, but do want to let you know I am here to resolve all issues. When you have a moment can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 x 144.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

They showed up 24 hrs early, was delivered 12 hrs late after confirming what time the delivery would be. Showed up at 10:30 PM. They refused to offload prior to paying. Then offloaded someone else stuff. Cops were called. Notified HomeAdvisor and Angie's List NOT to recommend you since I got no satisfaction from your home office.

Jay,

I am sorry to hear you had a tough moving experience, but we are here to resolve your issues. When you have a few moment can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

When I first called I was given a representative who assured me he would be with to the end of my move! Next thing I know I was given a different representative, so much for Chris' assurance. I was told by my new guy I would be sent a form for broken items, still waiting. The contracted movers had broken some visible items and said he would send me a check, still waiting! I'm still sorting and unpacking my items and finding more broken or damage stuff. No form to itemize the stuff on! (Like I said I'm still waiting!) I personally would not recommend this type of move. Colonial Van Lines is a broker, as I was told by my movers, and contract out the work. In other words they charge you a fee and turn the work over to someone else. Once again this is what I was told by my movers.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

Booked my move three months in advance. Told them I had a two day window to move due to I had fly-in to due the move. The day of the move they called and said they could not make it on time. To make a long story short, I had to threaten to sue to get action. They cost me time and money.

William,

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but do want to let you know I am here to resolve your issues. When you have a few moments can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

This was, by far, one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. It started with the movers showing up a day later than promised. They called and said they would be there first thing in the morning and did not show until 2 pm. They backed the truck into the lawn (which was wet) and got the truck stuck in the mud, leaving big tire marks. The driver and helper were fighting. Yelling at each other using profanity. They broke a floor to ceiling mirror in the process.

The day they were to deliver my stuff, I was told they would be there by 2 pm. I left my new job early to be there. The same two guys showed up at 8 pm saying they got lost. They blocked the street with the truck and refused to move it. The police were called and I had to talk to them. The driver did not want to move the truck but finally did. It was after midnight when they finished. Mind you, I moved into an apartment building. I am sure my neighbors loved the notice that late at night! Do NOT use this company! Worst experience ever!

Shawn,

I am sorry to hear your had a bad moving experience, but do want to let you know I am here to resolve your issues. When you have a moment can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

Colonial Van Lines were really good movers. I was very pleased with them. They were very professional and very efficient. Nothing was broken or damaged and their timing was perfect. It was a very good experience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

My antique dresser and card table both had legs broken off when I went to storage. I sent pictures and a letter to the claims department with no answer. I sent another letter and got an email stating the company never received a claim. I resent the pictures to Colonial and received no correspondence since.

Cathy,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good moving experience, and appreciate the feedback your provided. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you and resolve the issues that took place during your move. When you have a moment can you please call (954) 772-1610 ext. 144 and ask for Mike Perez.

I look forward to having the opportunity to speak with you and resolving your issues.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

I moved less than half of the inventory that was on the furniture list yet the move and weight was more than double of the original cost. Movers repacked items already packed by myself or previous movers. Mover did not show up on time for pick up and was over a week late on delivery. For delivery he said his truck broken down but it ended up that he was on another job! Also for delivery he gave a call an HOUR "heads up" before delivery!

Mover failed to deliver my vacuum to me, but delivered it to my daughter at the stop off. Also my daughter did not receive all items upon the delivery of her furniture. I would never recommend these movers to ANYONE! I would call the "so-called" customer service representative yet there was never ANY resolution. Upon the delivery it was expected that we run around and get 11 $1000 cashier's checks from the postal office. We requested at the pick up location for us to use a credit card or a transfer of money but no one ever called us from Colonial as we were promised. This was most definitely the worst move ever!

Updated 12/22/2015 - I was contacted by Colonial Movers to help resolve all the issues we had with our move. I was told that they were under new management and were willing to "right their wrongs". Again, they charged me roughly 60% more than the original estimate... and yet we moved 3 rooms less of the original furniture quote. They wanted to compensate me for only 10% of our original deposit only if I removed negative reviews about their company. This seems comical considering that the movers were late to pack our furniture, a week late on delivery, lost many items, damaged many items, and numerous other problems. Very unprofessional... DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Vivian,

I am sorry to hear you had a bad moving experience, but do want to let you know I am here to resolve your issues. When you have a few moments can you please contact me at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Pre-move contracting and pricing was professional, courteous, and efficient. Loading was a day and a half late and contracted out to individuals who had a rent-a-truck (Rider). The individuals came with the truck already 3/4 full. There was not enough room to load the contracted number of boxes and furniture of the one bedroom apartment with no appliances. The individuals came without material to protect the mattress or wooden furniture. They had to make two trips and never unloaded the front 3/4 of the truck. They pushed wooden furniture against the floor and walls of the truck, stacked boxes and other items onto unprotected wooden and cloth furniture and unprotected mattress.

The load was to be delivered by the 10th of the next month. Three dates have been given and each time the load has not arrived. There was a dispute about price between the contracted load/unload mover MacRelo and Colonial. Colonial did not appear to know when the load was being delivered each time I call them. They do not proactively call to say they will be late or not arrive. And it is still not set when they will deliver even though the 10th is their stated latest unloading date. Who knows in what shape the load will be. Stay tuned.

Frances,

I am sorry to hear you had a tough moving experience, but do want to let you know I am here to work on resolving your issues. When you have a few moments can you please reach out to me as I would like to begin resolving your issues. I can be reached at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

I was very pleased with the initial service and quote I received, but when the crew came to pick up my items (which I had detailed during the quote), they said there were extra costs for some of the items. The representative should have explained that at the time of the quote. When I tried to contact the rep at the time of pick up to get an explanation for the extra costs, neither of the two reps were available and neither called me back when I left a message. That's horrible customer service.

Laura,

I apologize for your moving experience, but do want to communicate I am here to resolve the issues that took place. We recently went through a restructuring process and rely on feedback to make sure we are making changes that will result in a smoother move for future customers. When you have a moment can you please contact Mike Perez at (954) 772-1610 ext. 144.

I look forward to speaking with you and resolving any and all outstanding issues.

Resolution response: Sept. 19, 2015

After Consumer Affairs reached out to me, the company emailed paperwork and requested an updated star rating, and to explain my resolution. I will receive minimal compensation after this...supposedly.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

Hands down the worst move of my life, the price was insane for a small amount of stuff. They lost 75% of the parts for my kids bunk beds, which can't be replaced. The guys took almost 8 hours to unload in the winter with all doors open in our house. The whole experience was a nightmare. I would never ever ever use this company again.

Mohammed,

Thank you for allowing Colonial Van Lines to resolve the issues that took place during your relocation. Should anything in the future come up please do not hesitate to contact us.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information