Get a Quote

2. Movers

Margate, FL

4.1/5 (298 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
    Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
    • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
    You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
    1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
    It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
    Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
    Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
    What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
    Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: July 16, 2021

I spoke with the first customer rep, and he filled me in, gave me all the information, explained everything, and sent the paperwork that needed to be signed. I then had a lot of correspondence back and forth between the mover, the driver, and the dispatch. Sometimes it got a little confusing ‘cause there were so many hands stirring the pot, and I didn't know who it was that I needed to reach out to. It was fine when I finally spoke to the driver, but then I had somebody else call me. She said she's the case manager, barely had any information for me. When I called back and spoke to somebody else, I wasn't able to get in touch with her when I had a question for her to advise her about the incorrect quantity of boxes that were supposed to be added.

By that time, the price increased. From paying about $7,000, we went up to 14,000. That was a bit much for boxes and no furniture. Apparently, there was a disconnect when I went back and forth with a few other people telling them that there were more boxes than there were initially, which is why it increased the price. Also, the truck that they sent over wasn't large enough, so it was a little crazy trying to fit everything in there.

We moved the whole house and we packed everything. They were mostly boxes and we had it all put in one area for the movers. They came from a different stop and they ended up coming late in the day, but it was quick. They did the job in one evening and then got on the road the next day. It took them two days because they needed to stop. They couldn't drive straight through due to timing. For the most part, Colonial Van Lines was good and it worked out well. One thing that was disappointing was that they didn't take American Express. They said, "No. For this initial down payment, we need to take it via Visa and Mastercard but no American Express." They told me that the final payment can be taken by American Express, but that wasn't the case, so that was a bit confusing.

Hi Rima,

We value your positive feedback and wanted to let you know that your comments have been reviewed and that we appreciate your time with us here at Colonial Van Lines. Have agreat day!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I was looking for a mover from California to Atlanta. Colonial Van Lines showed up along with a few others. I looked up Colonial Van Lines. I found some of the information were true. There was one other vendor too. I kind of got estimates from both of them and Colonial seemed to be very true and transparent and good to work with. My moving coordinator was wonderful. He spoke to me and got all the information from me. I found that as a very standard practice. He provided me with the quote. I did not choose Colonial first. I went with another vendor because they quoted me a couple of hundred dollars less than what Colonial did, but I learned a lesson. When they arrived at my house, they looked at the inventory, which I kind of provided. It was accurate. Whatever I gave them was there. It was all packed but then they kind of increased that amount three times, which I did not like.

At the last minute, I had to call Paul. He was the coordinator who initially gave estimates to me. He was very quick to accommodate my request. The good thing is after they sent the movers home, the price didn't change. So, the way that Colonial had estimated was accurate. I'm very impressed about it. The movers that picked up and also the folks that delivered were super quick. They did not waste any time. They arrived and they did the work. Two people came when they picked up, and three people came in the delivery. It was all done in less than a couple of hours.

Because of the situation I went through, I would definitely recommend Colonial to whoever asks me. They have helped me. I just was left a couple of days when the original plan kind of failed. Colonial accommodated the request within a very short time. I had all my flights and everything. I told Paul, “Paul, this is my situation. Do something.” He did his magic. He got everything done.

Original review: March 14, 2021

All the documentation, the correspondence, and everything that I received or that took place was through Colonial. I was looking at a company that they would deal with everything from point A to point B, and it wasn't exactly clear that it would be an agent, which was not necessarily Colonial drivers that would be picking up our stuff. I know that Colonial goes through a process where they vet the drivers that are going to pick up the shipment and carry it cross-country. But on Colonial's website, they say, “It's our agent.” Calvin Lines was the actual trucking company and movers that picked up the household goods and took them to the destination. So I felt a bit misled.

We were told that we would have a 48-hour window of when we would be told that the delivery would take place. It was on a Friday and I was told that the delivery would be either Monday or Tuesday. This was also over a holiday weekend. They said we would receive a 24-hour notice before the driver was going to deliver the household goods. I got a call Monday morning from the account manager saying that the driver would be there that day. So we didn't get the 24-hour notice. My daughter was five hours away so she wasn't available to accept.

The information was communicated to the Calvin Lines gentlemen. They were in the area waiting. My daughter got there as quickly as she could. We weren't charged any extra. The driver and the two gentlemen that were with him handled everything. They were professional, courteous and polite. They handled everything with care and they didn't rush. We were very impressed with everything. The stuff was picked up and carried across the country. It was delivered and nothing was lost or damaged. So that was a good move. There were a few hiccups along the way, but nothing major. Everything went well. We would definitely recommend Colonial Van Lines for anyone’s cross-country moves.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I was going from Ohio to Florida and I did not really have people that could help me do the move myself, so I needed to hire a company. I had called a few moving companies and Colonial Van Lines seemed to be reasonably priced and they were very communicative as far as letting me know what was going on. The coordinator let me know about how much it was gonna be and that it went by weight and how the time frame works. It could be anywhere from a week to a couple weeks. I didn't really understand that they were picking up and dropping off along the way, but she did explain that the time frame could fluctuate a little bit.

My pick up date got delayed a couple times, but I understand why that happened. It was my fault when somebody else's pick up date got delayed because when they got here, the truck couldn't pull in and there was a circle that I didn't know about. I had bought my place sight unseen. There was like a circle where the truck couldn't get through. They ended up having to go get a shuttle service. They call it a shuttle service, but they rent like a local truck and then they had to off load it reload it.

The cost was about what I was expecting. The only thing was when they told me the weight would be done right away, but it didn't get done right away. So, I didn't really know what the weight was. The person who assisted me during the move called all the time. She asked if I’ve heard from the driver, seen if they contacted me, which they did, they were telling me when they were on their way. She was always in contact with me. So, I was pleased with that. I liked Colonial Van Lines. They were very communicative, especially the salesperson and then the account manager who was helping me stay on track. I really liked that they stayed in contact with me a lot. I appreciated that. Even if it's gonna be early or late, at least they let me know.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Total Disaster. DO NOT USE. Very friendly and seemingly helpful on phone before I signed contract. The price is only an estimate and can change. They subbed out the job to a local mover (from over 100 miles away). Our stuff was picked up and I was told to sign the handwritten inventory after 4 hours mostly labeled as misc. box.

Our stuff went to storage as we sold our home but did not have a new house identified. It was taken 100+ miles away from our old house and 5 times that from where we were staying so we had no access even though they took all my wife’s clothes (communication issue) but essentially impossible to resolve. When we closed on new house 5 months later our stuff was delivered. Some stuff examples dining room table and tv stand/bookcase were clearly damaged, some outside equipment, pictures,… I was told to file a claim and they left. As we unpacked, we realized some stuff was missing. Some power tools, we had 4 beds but only one blanket, we somehow no longer owned a single towel. Piano had three of four wheels as did a couple bed frames. Pretty sure we will never know exact list of missing items.

As instructed, I filed a claim with the moving company that did the work. After an extended period, I was told no the claim needs to go through Colonial. OK, I redid all the paperwork and sent it to Colonial. After another extended period I was told the claim was denied because: the table was already damaged (untrue). The TV bookcase unit was not covered because it was wrong type wood, and I should have identified all the missing stuff before the movers left (this was probably the most ridiculous claim of all, we were to unpack over 100 boxes and remember where every one of our possessions were packed 5 months ago and complete that before I signed papers and movers left???).

I appealed and after shorted delay they agreed to pay $133 in claim on a $8K+ bill. Oh, but they wouldn’t pay it. We had to go back to the other company to get the money. After a total of 6 months, I got a check that covered one piano wheel and a couple towels. What I have learned:

1) Don’t use Colonial or any of these large movers that have more people working the phones than moving trucks.
      2) Contact local movers and compare quotes and reviews (total cost will be lower and satisfaction certainly should be better).
      3) To inventory and number boxes.
      4) To require movers to list and show anything they consider damaged before it leaves the house.

5) How to install wheel on a piano.

Steve,

Our resolutions manager is currently trying to work on a resolution to your concerns. She will reach out to you with any further updates.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

Colonial Van Lines seemed credible and they offered me a good price. I had to go from Chicago to Tucson, Arizona. It was a partial load and they didn't get the timeframe, but I didn't care. Also, I left a couple of things back in Chicago and they arranged to pick those up, which was pretty nice.

Anita,

Thank you for your positive review.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

Colonial Van Lines destroyed my baby grand piano, did major damage to most all big pieces of furniture, did major damage to the home we moved from (gouges in drywall, wood floor, ripping up lights along walkway). They say they do not use contract trucks, but they do. The movers literally dumped the contents of our kitchen cabinets into boxes when we paid for professional packing services. Do not use!!!

Penny,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I liked working with Colonial and the first person, Pin to Pin, that they sent to me. I would hire them any day of the week. Except that they kept bugging me to pay them. I told them that I paid half to Colonial. I paid then half of that half to Pin to Pin and they were hassling me to pay the remainder. I didn't appreciate them doing that like I wasn't going to pay them. That was not necessary. I told them that as soon as that truck drives up in front of my house, I will hit pay, which I did.

The last person when I got here was an absolute disaster. The guy showed up with no help, so he sat out in front of my house for hours, then half the day was gone. He brought a dog in 100-degree weather so we babysat his dog while I was trying to tell him where things went. He didn't care where they went or which up arrow was. Then the mover was just moving things to the end of the truck. So then this guy gets a stomachache and has to leave.

Two more younger guys came, which was good, but they didn't care where they put the things. It was a nightmare, just a tangle of boxes. Then they left. The driver came and said his help left so he was all by himself. Some of it was heavy and got left in the hallways at my house. If I didn't have my young daughter and her young boyfriend here come over a few days -- and I'm climbing over everything to move things around to where they were supposed to be and set up furniture -- I would have been in a big jam. Getting ahold of people at Colonial at times was challenging. But when I did, everybody was nice, professional, and helpful.

Victoria,

Thank you for the feedback. Your opinion is important and we will address your feedback and strive to improve in the areas you have suggested. Have a great week!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The staff at Colonial Van Lines is unreliable, disorganized and dishonest. I was given an estimate for my move and window for the dates that my items would be picked up. My furniture was picked up 3 days late and I had to pay almost twice as much as the initial quote. The manager assigned to oversee my move (Jared) never called me to finalize the pick up date. I learned on the last day that my furniture was to be picked up that a date had not been scheduled and a driver had not been assigned. I am a physician and had taken 2 weeks off to accommodate the move and ended up having to meet the movers after I had returned to work. The customer service representatives were not at all helpful. I do not recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Good Morning Jenny,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced thus far with Colonial Van Lines. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have expressed here today. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information