1.66/5
  • 1 star
Based on 61 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 25, 2017

77 Clorox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Bought two bottles of this product. Both products the spray top fell off spilling about a third of the bottle. Bleach ruined the bathroom rug, towel and toilet seat. These bottles should be taken off the market to avoid even more damage.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

This bottle was obviously thought of as a great new innovation. And just as obviously Clorox did not do any practical research. If they did, they decided that they had spent too much money to cancel their order for these new bottles but I am now replacing their wonderful Clean-Up with something else. If you take off the top to pour some you then cannot get the top back on. The tops do not stay on at all. The Clorox company has already destroyed a beautiful, soft aqua bath rug because unexpectedly the top came off and spilled on it. I am so angry, as I looked long and hard for that rug. Now I hope that the rug company isn't out of them. Aqua is a hard color to find and match to my towels. Now I have 2 bottles to throw out but they will be the last.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Trying to review sprays. First, I went to the product I wanted to express dissatisfaction with -- This is what I got. "Please select an item under Cleaning & Disinfecting - I clicked on the product-- then got this - "This button does not work with screen readers. Please use the previous link instead.Cleaning & Disinfecting" Then-- "UPC Code: You can leave this blank, if you don't have the package handy." I put in this code. Production Code: this code was worn off, but this was posted "You can leave this blank, in case you don't have the package handy"-- I end up with the notice "Product * Please select an item under Cleaning & Disinfecting". I have not been able to get beyond this. I'm done with Clorox- to complain about the ineffective spray mechanisms.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I really like this product, but the bottle it comes in is very poorly designed. Even if you take the time to figure out how to properly put the bottle back together the "smart tube technology" that is designed to "spray every drop" seems to become dysfunctional long before the actual product is gone. I still love the product, but after going through at least 3 different bottles that have all had the exact same problem. I really hope that they figure this out and make some changes.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Have been using Green Works for a long time. Now the bottle has failed. The spray gradually decreased, the bottle sides sunk in, and now there's no spray- from an almost-full bottle. Took it apart, all looks functional. Ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clorox?

Original review: July 21, 2017

Clorox Clean Up Spray - Let me begin by saying, I love, LOVE this product!! But... Why did you have to change the sprayer??? It spits out all over. I buy a bottle & refill it from the larger gallon(?). Once I refill, even though I have "everything" lined up as directed, it doesn't work properly. I have even gone as far as purchasing another bottle, thinking that perhaps the bottle I was using, just got "worn out" (even though I only filled it once). Nope!! That wasn't the solution! I am sure that I am not the only one who is facing the same problem. I'm giving up! I feel I am forced to find another product with a regular sprayer. I'm sure it was thought that the new "technology" would be of assistance in using "all of the product to the end." Sorry... failed. Except, YES... I am at the end... of my rope. Any chance of re-designing it BACK to the original way???

Original review: June 16, 2017

I suffered burns on my fingertips yesterday from the household cleaner Clorox Clean-Up, Cleaner Plus Bleach. 8 out of 10 fingers are scorched by the chemical compounds found in this product. Even after rinsing my hands for 20 minutes (as listed in the warning label) my fingertips still continued to burn. Today looks worse than yesterday. My lungs and chest burn so horribly, and I had a horrendous cough being anywhere near by it. I believe it was a results from the fumes of this product. I would hate for anyone to have to go through this!

Original review: May 17, 2017

Clorox Clean-Up new Smart Tube technology — The new tube design does not work. You can't tighten the cap securely. It kept falling off - and at one point the bottle fell and the Clorox spilled on my clothes and carpet. I am going to see if I can get reimbursed for at least some of the ruined clothing and area rug.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Clorox cleanup spray — I love this product! Please tell me why you had to change the sprayer? Your new technology gets every drop (sucks). I know I can't be the only one that feels this way. It might work for the first few sprays but stops after that. PLEASE go back to the long tube spray bottle. I had to buy a another bottle and pour the rest of the product into it so I could use the rest in the bottle.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I have been a faithful customer for about 30 years and now I'm having to find a new product that will do what I loved about you guys. It has changed and doesn't get my clothes as white as it used to. What has happened to my favorite product?

Original review: April 2, 2017

I found 1960s tile floor saturated with newspaper ink under carpet I removed. (Newspaper padding?) I've tried EVERY product to remove it. I had 40+ years of black ink that was ground into the floors. I finally simply sprayed Clorox Clean-up with bleach saturating an area. I waited a little over 5 minutes & I was AMAZED! No scrubbing, no overwhelming fumes. My floor literally was perfect! If it can wipe out 40+ years of printers' ink from tile flooring imagine how well it's cleaning other surfaces. Take a look for yourself. I'M TRULY A BELIEVER IN CLOROX CLEAN-UP!

Original review: April 1, 2017

Why why why did Clorox and 409 change their bottles. Those fat sprayers are the absolute worse. I have arthritis in my hand so trying to squeeze the trigger hurts like hell. Not to mention half the time the sprayers don't work. I sometimes take the top off to combine two bottles and the minute I do that the sprayer never works again. I buy the product and then transfer it to a different spray bottle. I don't know why they can't go backwards to the old bottle. I am looking on eBay to see if someone still has the old bottle. I will then buy and transfer my cleaner to that. What's the saying? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Yet Clorox thought they made something better when in fact they made it worse.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I have always used Clorox drop ins. The Grocery store I went to only had the drop ins with the blue on one side and the bleach on the other. It's a 4 pack... I am so dissatisfied with these. They only last 6 days in my toilet and never keep them clean after every flush... When I use the bleach ones my toilets were white and stay 20+... I spent $ and they didn't work.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I emailed Clorox Formula 409 regarding the fact I had a strange red dye coming from their carpet spot remover, toward the end of the container, when I was spraying it on a stain on my living room floor. I told them the spray ruined my carpet and simply asked why there was red dye coming out. To my surprise, Clorox offered to replace my carpet, they just said they would need some more information from me. No problem. Within 2 weeks they mailed me a paid return label, and I mailed them back the defective product, 2 quotes from flooring companies for new carpeting, and pictures of the stains in my floor. I did not have a receipt because I had purchased the product no telling when - and I let them know that. That wasn't a problem.

Within 2 weeks of receiving my package, they called and emailed me back and immediately offered to mail me a check for the replacement of my carpet - $625, which was the lowest of the 2 quotes. They said I would have it within 2 weeks. I am very surprised, and pleased, that Clorox offers this kind of customer service, standing behind their product like this. They have definitely made a loyal customer out of me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This product has always lived up to its name. I never had any complaints when using this product in my family. Believe me that's a miracle. This product is the kind of product that is always giving me the results I'm looking for. Whenever I want the job done right, I can always rely on this company's cleaning products. For once there seems to be stability that could never let you down. It is the kind of product that will always hold a good reputation in my book! It leaves a clean, bright, rich look wherever you aim at your pointed direction. This is the results I'm looking for, how about you?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I'm not a person who writes reviews, but this made me so mad! I've used Clorox cleanup since it first came to market. I've never been so let down with a product in my life, the new bottle is horrible. Causing spills and the sprayer not working on any bottle I bought. I've bought 3. I won't be buying this again!! I'm a fan of most of Clorox's products. The new bottle design will not be purchased until they change the bottle back to one that actually works!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

After refilling my Clorox Clean-Up bottle, I could not get the cleaner out of the bottle. The pump stopped working. I went online and watched the refill instructions but nothing worked. Feels like Clorox is just trying to make more money. I have a big refill bottle but I'll have to buy another spray bottle if I want to use it? And then hope the next "smart tube" works? Nope.

Original review: July 9, 2016

On three separate occasions I have had the unpleasant experience of the Clorox Clean up "smart" tube bottle coming apart. Each time it has either ruined clothes or bath rug. One has to hold the sprayer onto the bottle to keep it from coming apart. There are other reviews posted here concerning the same problem, what does it take for clorox to see they have a problem? Do they know about this? What else can be done?

Original review: June 25, 2016

I have never written a product review but am so disappointed with this joke of a pump felt it necessary to inform your R&D department. I have been buying this product for over thirty years to kill germs on kids toys and disinfect bathrooms. Forward me the names of the RD team Who decided to save two cents and design a 2" tube to pump 30 oz of liquid? Probably the Same morons who have never actually used the product. This "new and improved pump" hasn't worked on one single bottle of Clorox Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner. We purchased several thinking it was a single "piss poor pump". I have now transferred the liquid to Dollar Store $1.00 bottles with full size pumps. We no longer have to worry about wasting time pumping air or worse squeezing the damn bottle in frustration while swearing buck naked in a shower thinking Clorox hired the biggest bunch of idiots in RD maybe on the planet.

For god's sake stop listening to the bean counters in accounting and listen to your sales department who must be getting their asses chewed out with every pallet delivery. While I'm at it give some thought to including magnifying glasses with each purchase. Your "useful instructions in 2 pt. type" include directions, warnings, storage and disposal information no one on this planet can read unless they own a home version of the Hubble telescope. Maybe if you didn't take up half the label with repeating illegible instructions in Spanish the font could be increased to 4 pt type. Newspaper obits are much easier to read and more informative and enjoyable than your warning label. Give us a full size pump action like the good old days, jack up the price of the product ten cents and give me a reason to buy Clorox again. "Spray Every Drop" "Irocie Hasta La Ultimate Gota". You guys are hysterical.

Original review: June 5, 2016

Why are Clorox disinfecting wipes being sold now without the seals? This is CRAZY! Each canister used to come sealed upon purchase. As it is, they can dry out before ever reaching the stores. Please fix this, Clorox! What are you thinking? Someone at Clorox made a very poor business decision to change this.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I use Clorox mainly to clean bathroom tiles, sinks, and the toilet bowl. Sometimes, I use it for cleaning window sills and glass. It does the job, however, it does have an unpleasant distinct after-smell, at least with the original one. They now have different scents or variants to choose from, i.e., lemon and floral scented bleach. People use this as a clothes whitening agent. I, for that reason, is not a believer, though it could be that I don't know how to use it with clothes, or that it really does not work for my white stuff. If not properly used, it can totally ruin fabrics. (I just don't have enough time sorting that out.)

Now, this is still chemical and a-not-so-good element to be lurking in our homes. (There are natural alternatives to this.) So it has to be properly packaged and stored. In that sense, I never had any problems with this brand's packaging. The seal is good and the bottles are handy. When looking for a cheaper home cleaning agent, Clorox is one of the good ones to use.

Original review: March 31, 2016

Like so many others I am more than frustrated by the deliberately defective spray bottle this product is marketed in. It leaks all over my hands and delivers practically no product where it is aimed. To compound this, the bottle is designed so that it cannot be opened to transfer the product to a functional bottle. I feel robbed and will not buy any Clorox products in the future. I wish I could give it zero stars.

Original review: March 15, 2016
I was reading the directions on a full bottle of Clorox Clean-Up with the Smart Tube Technology and the sprayer and top suddenly came off and I got covered in
bleach! It ruined the top and shorts I was wearing, went all over the laundry room floor and ran under the washer! I am more than mad! Who makes a lid that

doesn't screw on tight? It just pushes on!!! I had bleach all over me. Even after a shower I still smelled of bleach. My hands stung, I had to mop the floor several times so the dog wouldn't lick it or track it all over my rugs. We had to open doors to let the strong bleach smell dissipate! Bleach is a caustic chemical and the container should ensure accidents like this can't happen. A child could pick up that bottle and end up drenched in bleach! There is NO excuse for this!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

From the time I sprayed the bottle it has leaked all over my hands. You cannot get the smell off of your hands for an entire day. I have never written a negative review for a consumer product online. I have continued to use the scary bottle hoping it would get better. I do not have a receipt otherwise I would have returned to the store. This morning I was about to put the remainder of contents in a different spray bottle when I noticed it is Smart tube technology. Sometimes I am not sure if the people in R&D are using the product because if they did this spray bottle would never have made it to the store for customers to purchase. Go back to the regular spray bottle please. I will never purchase this product again. New Technology doesn't mean Better...

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

Purchased product and it would not spray. Finally called Clorox Customer Service and after much discussion it turned out that the cap was installed backwards! By that time, I had transferred the Tilex liquid to another bottle. Do not purchase this product! I will not do so again.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

It leaks profusely no matter how well I line up the short red end into the bottle. Once I spray a couple of short sprays it leaks out more than it sprays. I love your product but wish I had an old bottle. Why do company pay people to come up with these ideas but not really get everyday people of all walks of life to try them out? I lose as much in paper towels as I do with leaking Clorox. Bought at Sam's within the last month.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

I purchased a large bottle of Clorox Clean-up with refill in the past 6 months from Costco. I just refilled it, put the top back on per the instructions and as I walked to my bathroom the top came off and went everywhere! Ruined my carpeting and flooring, my clothes and got in my eyes. Smart technology not.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

The last 3 bottles of Clorox liquid bleach I have bought have been defective. The blue cap on the bottle splits in half when you try to tighten the cap. It is bizarre. It has spilled on clothes and evaporates without a tight cap. Why would a company with such a superlative reputation and image go down the tubes like this? They must make the generic bleach too and make money on us either way. I hope they fix it and get back in my pantheon of good American companies.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner - Ok, so I've been using this product, against my husband's advice! He's had to replace numerous inner workings of the toilet tank due to erosion! Today was the final time! The rubber inside the tank has come apart & the chain to flush came off the handle due to erosion! Upon further investigation, all 3 toilet tanks in the house have issue due to the tablets in the tanks including the bolts that hold the tank to the toilet! Nowhere on the packaging is there a caution as to damage being caused to the tank when using this product. I find it highly unlikely that we are the only ones having this issue. I will be calling their customer service number on Tues!

Original review: June 27, 2015

Currently, my hands are burning from having Clorox clean up leaked all over them. This is my go to product for cleaning and disinfecting, but their new sprayer is terrible. I don't know how they can say it sprays the last drop because it doesn't spray at all, it just gushes out all over your hands. Write to the company and insist that they go back to their not great but much better than this piece of crap sprayer. I'm going out to buy some standard sprays that do actually spray to the end. And I can always dump the remainder on what I want to clean instead of having it go all over my skin.

Clorox Company Information