1.57/5
Based on 72 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

88 Clorox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I cannot keep the sprayer from disconnecting from the bottle! Horrible design. I had to research to make sure that I was not missing something in the directions. Nope! That is just how I was using it. Horrible design! HATE IT!!! Guess it is duct tape to make sure. I have always used Clorox Clean-up. Bring back the old bottle!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased this bleach at Walmart. I didn’t like it. My mom is not feeling good at all. We used it to wash my blanket. But when it started to fill the washer the house smelled like bleach. And we had to turn the a/c off. And when I went to a Mexican supermarket to buy a Mexican bleach Cloralen that is made from Mexico. When we started to wash the blanket with the Mexican bleach Cloralen the house didn’t smell like bleach. At all the Mexican bleach Cloralen is way better than the American bleach.

Get expert buying tips about Household Cleaning Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a bottle of Formula 409 with "Smart Tube Technology, Spray Every Drop" written in bold letters on the label. "Smart?" Um, NO. I could spray from the bottle for the first two times I used it. Then there was virtually NO spray at all. I checked for a clog - found nothing. I checked to see if anything were disconnected. No problems there. The spray that is needed to get the contents from the bottle onto the surface requiring cleaning, simple stopped working. For the remainder of the time I had to use it by putting a wrap to the mouth of the bottle; like we did in the "olden days." This "New Idea" is worthless. I had the problem with the spray on a bottle of Formula 409, but as I researched, folks using ANY Clorox product that had this nature of spray had the very same experience I did. Clorox? You goofed. Time to go back to the tried-and-true method, because "Smart Technology"...ain't.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have used Clorox Clean Up since it was introduced to the market. Years! I will NOT spend another dime on Clorox products because the first bottles leaked and didn't spray right... then voila! The new technology comes! Prayers answered! NOT! I am trying to disinfect sink after raw turkey juice is poured down the drain... guess I'll have to resort to pouring straight bleach down the sink because the bottle completely quit working! Too bad Clorox, you have lost a loyal customer!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I keep buying thinking it's a reputable company and surely they'll fix the issue. The sprayers don't work, or work for only a short time. The container is still almost full when the sprayers begin leaking product out from under the cap ring instead of coming out the sprayer, if they ever spray at all. It's unbelievable how consistent this problem is. The product inside is great when it foams, and sprays, but since the container is so consistently defective, it's money in the garbage can. I still hope it's redesigned, but I won't repurchase until I hear that the problem has been addressed. It's so constant, it's hard to believe this item in this packaging is still on the market.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clorox?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

The tube technology sucks. I've lined it up, cut label plastic so I could see it was correct. Picked bottle up fell in floor ruined my kitchen throw rug. This is the third times this has happened when I was cleaning a friend's house. The tube technology is no good. I hate it. It doesn't spray correctly and pump falls out when your using it and spills everywhere. The stupidest thing you've ever done.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

What the hell were you thinking Clorox/Tilex? The after shower product by Tilex was the best on the market. You have completely ruined the damn stuff. I used to buy it in bulk. I recommended it to all my remodeling customers for their new showers. The stuff now stinks, leaves spots, and flat out doesn't work!!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

Just like Carla from Hanover Park IL, my bottle of Clorox Splash-Less is also cloudy water. I thought to myself, ‘did it go bad?’, ‘did my cleaning lady steal my Clorox and replace it with cloudy water?’ (Which is preposterous as there is no way she would do such a thing). I became suspicious when I noticed the absence of the usual Clorox bleach fragrance. I poured “full-strength” on to a green cloth and it did absolutely nothing. The code on my bottle of Clorox Splash-Less Regular (55 oz) is: A5 17 003 and 07:09. So, all this time I’ve been thinking I’ve been disinfecting this and disinfecting that just to recently realize I’ve been pouring water on my items. Useless... Totally useless.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I recently purchased a 5 L Pine-Sol jug at Costco and proceeded to place it in my brand new Mercedes (as one does) and proceeded to make my 15-minute drive home. Upon my arrival I was hit with the smell of Pine-Sol. When I opened the trunk, I could clearly see that 4+ L of Pine-Sol was now all over the interior of my car. Immediately concerned, I started to mop up what I could of the mess. There was only about 1 L of liquid left in the bottle when I did pick it up. It appeared that the issue was with the flimsy cap on the 5 L jug - with no over-wrap and no seal on the jug, just 3 threads to hold in the 5 L of liquid. Clever.

I was annoyed that my car would smell of Pine-Sol but thought there are worse things. However, to my surprise, this morning all of the electronics in my car had started to malfunction and shortly after I was not even able to start my car. Did I mention that it only has 4,000 km on it? My car is now being towed, and I am at an approximate estimate of $10,000 in fixing costs - and this is only the estimate I was given over the phone. All because of poor packaging design. Suffice to say, I will be sharing this story everywhere until I hear from somebody. Please share this wherever you see appropriate. I expect some assistance from the Clorox Company in paying for the damage as nothing I did was out of the ordinary or what would be expected.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Clorox Clean-Up - Look, the sprayer head trigger leaks. I like the cleaner and have been using this product for many years now. But at least every other bottle I get leaks! I have looked for a similar products but to this point have not found an equal?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

Was a life long customer but bought it recently and took it back for an exchange because it was mostly water. Thought maybe it was just a bad bottle from bad batch. Nope! ALL all the bottles I smelled and dipped my finger in were the same. I even tried different stores. They were all WATERED DOWN BY ABOUT 80%. Cleans NOTHING now. Like using water. Smells and feels like water now. Leaves cloudy residue and has no smell of bleach. Having it tested by a lab to prove it and that it now doesn't kill any germs whatsoever. So disappointed. Now on the hunt for better product. Maybe comet spray. Checked around all my area stores... Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Meijer, Target, etc. Mom and sisters had same complaint. Bummed.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Bought two bottles of this product. Both products the spray top fell off spilling about a third of the bottle. Bleach ruined the bathroom rug, towel and toilet seat. These bottles should be taken off the market to avoid even more damage.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

This bottle was obviously thought of as a great new innovation. And just as obviously Clorox did not do any practical research. If they did, they decided that they had spent too much money to cancel their order for these new bottles but I am now replacing their wonderful Clean-Up with something else. If you take off the top to pour some you then cannot get the top back on. The tops do not stay on at all. The Clorox company has already destroyed a beautiful, soft aqua bath rug because unexpectedly the top came off and spilled on it. I am so angry, as I looked long and hard for that rug. Now I hope that the rug company isn't out of them. Aqua is a hard color to find and match to my towels. Now I have 2 bottles to throw out but they will be the last.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Trying to review sprays. First, I went to the product I wanted to express dissatisfaction with -- This is what I got. "Please select an item under Cleaning & Disinfecting - I clicked on the product-- then got this - "This button does not work with screen readers. Please use the previous link instead.Cleaning & Disinfecting" Then-- "UPC Code: You can leave this blank, if you don't have the package handy." I put in this code. Production Code: this code was worn off, but this was posted "You can leave this blank, in case you don't have the package handy"-- I end up with the notice "Product * Please select an item under Cleaning & Disinfecting". I have not been able to get beyond this. I'm done with Clorox- to complain about the ineffective spray mechanisms.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I really like this product, but the bottle it comes in is very poorly designed. Even if you take the time to figure out how to properly put the bottle back together the "smart tube technology" that is designed to "spray every drop" seems to become dysfunctional long before the actual product is gone. I still love the product, but after going through at least 3 different bottles that have all had the exact same problem. I really hope that they figure this out and make some changes.

Resolution response: July 25, 2017

I wrote to Clorox and received a response explaining how to reset the nozzle. So the tube is "smart"- just new to those of us who haven't been updated about it. Twist nozzle until the red tip fits into the clear tube visible from the outside of the bottle. Voila- it works.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Have been using Green Works for a long time. Now the bottle has failed. The spray gradually decreased, the bottle sides sunk in, and now there's no spray- from an almost-full bottle. Took it apart, all looks functional. Ridiculous.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Clorox Clean Up Spray - Let me begin by saying, I love, LOVE this product!! But... Why did you have to change the sprayer??? It spits out all over. I buy a bottle & refill it from the larger gallon(?). Once I refill, even though I have "everything" lined up as directed, it doesn't work properly. I have even gone as far as purchasing another bottle, thinking that perhaps the bottle I was using, just got "worn out" (even though I only filled it once). Nope!! That wasn't the solution! I am sure that I am not the only one who is facing the same problem. I'm giving up! I feel I am forced to find another product with a regular sprayer. I'm sure it was thought that the new "technology" would be of assistance in using "all of the product to the end." Sorry... failed. Except, YES... I am at the end... of my rope. Any chance of re-designing it BACK to the original way???

Original review: June 16, 2017

I suffered burns on my fingertips yesterday from the household cleaner Clorox Clean-Up, Cleaner Plus Bleach. 8 out of 10 fingers are scorched by the chemical compounds found in this product. Even after rinsing my hands for 20 minutes (as listed in the warning label) my fingertips still continued to burn. Today looks worse than yesterday. My lungs and chest burn so horribly, and I had a horrendous cough being anywhere near by it. I believe it was a results from the fumes of this product. I would hate for anyone to have to go through this!

Original review: May 17, 2017

Clorox Clean-Up new Smart Tube technology — The new tube design does not work. You can't tighten the cap securely. It kept falling off - and at one point the bottle fell and the Clorox spilled on my clothes and carpet. I am going to see if I can get reimbursed for at least some of the ruined clothing and area rug.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Clorox cleanup spray — I love this product! Please tell me why you had to change the sprayer? Your new technology gets every drop (sucks). I know I can't be the only one that feels this way. It might work for the first few sprays but stops after that. PLEASE go back to the long tube spray bottle. I had to buy a another bottle and pour the rest of the product into it so I could use the rest in the bottle.

Original review: April 29, 2017

I have been a faithful customer for about 30 years and now I'm having to find a new product that will do what I loved about you guys. It has changed and doesn't get my clothes as white as it used to. What has happened to my favorite product?

Original review: April 2, 2017

I found 1960s tile floor saturated with newspaper ink under carpet I removed. (Newspaper padding?) I've tried EVERY product to remove it. I had 40+ years of black ink that was ground into the floors. I finally simply sprayed Clorox Clean-up with bleach saturating an area. I waited a little over 5 minutes & I was AMAZED! No scrubbing, no overwhelming fumes. My floor literally was perfect! If it can wipe out 40+ years of printers' ink from tile flooring imagine how well it's cleaning other surfaces. Take a look for yourself. I'M TRULY A BELIEVER IN CLOROX CLEAN-UP!

Original review: April 1, 2017

Why why why did Clorox and 409 change their bottles. Those fat sprayers are the absolute worse. I have arthritis in my hand so trying to squeeze the trigger hurts like hell. Not to mention half the time the sprayers don't work. I sometimes take the top off to combine two bottles and the minute I do that the sprayer never works again. I buy the product and then transfer it to a different spray bottle. I don't know why they can't go backwards to the old bottle. I am looking on eBay to see if someone still has the old bottle. I will then buy and transfer my cleaner to that. What's the saying? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Yet Clorox thought they made something better when in fact they made it worse.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I have always used Clorox drop ins. The Grocery store I went to only had the drop ins with the blue on one side and the bleach on the other. It's a 4 pack... I am so dissatisfied with these. They only last 6 days in my toilet and never keep them clean after every flush... When I use the bleach ones my toilets were white and stay 20+... I spent $ and they didn't work.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I emailed Clorox Formula 409 regarding the fact I had a strange red dye coming from their carpet spot remover, toward the end of the container, when I was spraying it on a stain on my living room floor. I told them the spray ruined my carpet and simply asked why there was red dye coming out. To my surprise, Clorox offered to replace my carpet, they just said they would need some more information from me. No problem. Within 2 weeks they mailed me a paid return label, and I mailed them back the defective product, 2 quotes from flooring companies for new carpeting, and pictures of the stains in my floor. I did not have a receipt because I had purchased the product no telling when - and I let them know that. That wasn't a problem.

Within 2 weeks of receiving my package, they called and emailed me back and immediately offered to mail me a check for the replacement of my carpet - $625, which was the lowest of the 2 quotes. They said I would have it within 2 weeks. I am very surprised, and pleased, that Clorox offers this kind of customer service, standing behind their product like this. They have definitely made a loyal customer out of me.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

This product has always lived up to its name. I never had any complaints when using this product in my family. Believe me that's a miracle. This product is the kind of product that is always giving me the results I'm looking for. Whenever I want the job done right, I can always rely on this company's cleaning products. For once there seems to be stability that could never let you down. It is the kind of product that will always hold a good reputation in my book! It leaves a clean, bright, rich look wherever you aim at your pointed direction. This is the results I'm looking for, how about you?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I'm not a person who writes reviews, but this made me so mad! I've used Clorox cleanup since it first came to market. I've never been so let down with a product in my life, the new bottle is horrible. Causing spills and the sprayer not working on any bottle I bought. I've bought 3. I won't be buying this again!! I'm a fan of most of Clorox's products. The new bottle design will not be purchased until they change the bottle back to one that actually works!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

After refilling my Clorox Clean-Up bottle, I could not get the cleaner out of the bottle. The pump stopped working. I went online and watched the refill instructions but nothing worked. Feels like Clorox is just trying to make more money. I have a big refill bottle but I'll have to buy another spray bottle if I want to use it? And then hope the next "smart tube" works? Nope.

Original review: July 9, 2016

On three separate occasions I have had the unpleasant experience of the Clorox Clean up "smart" tube bottle coming apart. Each time it has either ruined clothes or bath rug. One has to hold the sprayer onto the bottle to keep it from coming apart. There are other reviews posted here concerning the same problem, what does it take for clorox to see they have a problem? Do they know about this? What else can be done?

Original review: June 25, 2016

I have never written a product review but am so disappointed with this joke of a pump felt it necessary to inform your R&D department. I have been buying this product for over thirty years to kill germs on kids toys and disinfect bathrooms. Forward me the names of the RD team Who decided to save two cents and design a 2" tube to pump 30 oz of liquid? Probably the Same morons who have never actually used the product. This "new and improved pump" hasn't worked on one single bottle of Clorox Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner. We purchased several thinking it was a single "piss poor pump". I have now transferred the liquid to Dollar Store $1.00 bottles with full size pumps. We no longer have to worry about wasting time pumping air or worse squeezing the damn bottle in frustration while swearing buck naked in a shower thinking Clorox hired the biggest bunch of idiots in RD maybe on the planet.

For god's sake stop listening to the bean counters in accounting and listen to your sales department who must be getting their ** chewed out with every pallet delivery. While I'm at it give some thought to including magnifying glasses with each purchase. Your "useful instructions in 2 pt. type" include directions, warnings, storage and disposal information no one on this planet can read unless they own a home version of the Hubble telescope. Maybe if you didn't take up half the label with repeating illegible instructions in Spanish the font could be increased to 4 pt type. Newspaper obits are much easier to read and more informative and enjoyable than your warning label. Give us a full size pump action like the good old days, jack up the price of the product ten cents and give me a reason to buy Clorox again. "Spray Every Drop" "Irocie Hasta La Ultimate Gota". You guys are hysterical.

Clorox Company Information

www.clorox.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.