Find the Best Cleaning Services
Compare Reviews for Top Cleaning Services
Read 20,953 Reviews
HomeAdvisor connects customers with contractors across the United States. The company lets homeowners find local, prescreened companies, and its services are free to use. Its website also provides average project costs.
|Get Started Call Now Toll Free (855) 677-5223|
Read 1,207 Reviews
Founded in 1979, Merry Maids is a franchised company now owned by ServiceMaster. It offers house and apartment cleaning services across a network of over 1,000 worldwide locations.
|The Cleaning Authority|
Read 112 Reviews
The Cleaning Authority is a residential cleaning company with many franchise locations across the United States that are owned locally. Clients earn loyalty points every time they refer a customer or pay for services.
Read 138 Reviews
Molly Maid offers residential and commercial cleaning services through packages that are built around clients' needs and budgets. Special laundry, office, bathroom, kitchen and other packages are available as are free estimates.
Read 50 Reviews
MaidPro offers residential cleaning services using tools and procedures that are more environmentally friendly than traditional products. Clients can expect to welcome the same member of staff into their homes each appointment.
|USA Clean Master||Read 36 Reviews|
The USA Clean Master company offers a wide range of cleaning services including residential, office, boat, pet stains, chimney, gutter and upholstery. Their cleaning products are effective yet safe for children and pets.
Read 60 Reviews
The Maids is a residential cleaning service that offers home cleaning, apartment cleaning and garage cleaning. The company is willing to consider different types of cleaning projects as well, such as moving services.
|You've Got Maids|
Read 14 Reviews
You've Got Maids offers residential cleaning services by the hour or by recurring appointments. Staff are trained through Maid University and are motivated to receive continued training through bonus programs and raises.
Read 27 Reviews
The Maid Brigade offers professional housekeeping, house cleaning and apartment cleaning services. Their methods and products are Green Clean Certified and staff use HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaners on clients' premises.
What features should you consider in a cleaning service?
Cleaning services offer customers scheduling options to tailor services to their needs.
- One-time only: Some cleaning services only offer one-time cleanings. These companies often specialize in seasonal or deep cleanings, which do not need to be completed frequently. Examples are gutter cleanings, carpet cleanings and clean-ups after a move.
- Routine cleanings: Routine cleanings let customers schedule how often they want their home or office cleaned. This service is often utilized by people who don't have the time or ability to keep their home tidy from day-to-day and can be used in place of hiring a dedicated independent housekeeper or maid.
- Rotating cleanings: With rotating schedules, homeowners can choose to alternate comprehensive deep cleanings with smaller, more focused cleanings. Rotating cleanings ensure that the cleanliness reached after a deep clean stretches out and is maintained over a longer period of time.
Companies use a variety of methods to choose and send teams to customers' homes.
- Random cleaners: Some companies choose a random crew of cleaners from their employees for each cleaning job. This allows the company to send cleaners who have an adequate amount of time and training to complete the cleaning tasks at hand.
- Regular team: Companies that use regular teams always send the same cleaners to the same homes so they can familiarize themselves with the customers and the space. This allows customers to develop a relationship with the cleaners who come into their home, and it also allows the cleaners to learn the intricacies of a space so that the cleaning is done consistently well.
- Customer selection: Many cleaning companies allow customers to request certain cleaners or to give feedback on cleaners and request to have or not have them return. This ensures that the customer is always happy about the crew that is sent into their personal space.
House cleaners require equipment and supplies to effectively clean homes, and these supplies can come from a variety of sources.
- Supplied by the company: Some house cleaning services supply their cleaners with all the supplies and equipment they need to clean homes.
- Supplied by the homeowner: House cleaning companies can simply send workers to clean the homes, relying on customers to provide the supplies and equipment.
- Equipment only: Companies that require high-tech equipment often provide that equipment to customers, but they rely on homeowners for basic cleaning supplies.
Specialized services offered
Many companies offer specialized services to comprehensively clean a home.
- Outdoor cleaning services: Cleaning companies that are equipped to clean the outside of homes can do things like wash windows, rake leaves, tidy porches and clean out gutters.
- Deep-cleaning services: Some companies provide deep-cleaning services for homeowners, cleaning things like tile grout and drapes.
- Specialized cleaning services: Many house cleaning companies offer very specialized cleaning services, like deep carpet cleaning, chimney cleaning or smoke removal.
Cleaning services charge customers for their services in a variety of ways.
- Hourly rates: Companies that charge hourly rates require customers to pay based on the time workers spend cleaning.
- Service fees: Some cleaning companies have set prices for certain services. For example, they will charge a flat rate for a carpet cleaning or a window washing, which won't vary no matter how long the job takes.
- Price schedule: Some companies charge clients based on a price schedule, including certain set fees for deep, comprehensive cleanings and hourly fees for touch-ups and specific room maintenance.
Contracts allow cleaning companies to get a commitment from customers to use their services for a certain period of time.
- No contract: Some cleaning companies don't require customers to sign a contract at all, so customers can use the service once with no commitment.
- Regular cleaning contract: Cleaning companies may require customers to sign a contract for routine (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly) cleanings.
- Specialized service contracts: If cleaners are providing a specialized service like cleaning after water damage, they may require customers to sign a contract to cover the work for the duration of the service.
What are different types of cleaning services?
Residential cleaning services
Cleaning services that come into homes and specialize in routine cleanings can come once to tidy or on a regular schedule to maintain the cleanliness of a space.
Commercial cleaning services
Some cleaning companies are dedicated to cleaning commercial establishments, offices and businesses. They are often equipped to do larger-scale cleanings that are required in residences.
Eco-friendly cleaning services
These companies do regular home cleanings, but they also help make spaces safer for people who have breathing issues or health problems and cannot be around harsh chemicals.
Specialized deep-cleaning services
Specialized deep-cleaning services focus on cleaning one area of a home or performing one particular task. Deep-cleaning services include carpet cleaning, window washing and car and boat cleaning.
Damage repair services
Many house cleaning companies help homeowners repair and clean up damage to their home. Homeowners who have experienced devastating events like fires or floods can depend on these companies to make their homes livable again.
Who would benefit from cleaning services?
Busy homeowners with families, work and other responsibilities often don't have time to clean their homes. Cleaning services come into a home on a regular schedule and ensure that it remains clean, tidy and organized.
People with allergies
When people have allergies or breathing issues, dust, dirt and dander inside a home can make them sick. Professional cleaning services come into a home and remove the particles that make people feel ill, making living at home more comfortable and healthier.
People who are moving
Cleaning services can ensure that a space homeowners are leaving is perfectly clean and ready for new people to move in.
Homeowners who have experienced damage
Many things can damage a home, including fire, flood, earthquakes and wind. Cleaning services clean or repair the damage to make the space habitable again.
Cleaning services FAQ
- How much does cleaning service cost?
- Sometimes cleaning prices are negotiable, but they are generally $100 to $180 for two hours with a professional service or $50 to $90 for two hours of service from an individual cleaner.
The cost of a cleaning service varies based on several factors, including the size of your house and the level of cleaning required. Dusting furniture and performing light cleaning is less expensive than scrubbing kitchens and bathrooms.
Any specialty cleaning, such as window cleaning or cleaning after pets, also affects the cost.
- What cleaning products do professional cleaners use?
- Professional cleaners use a large variety of products, including:
- A small or handheld vacuum
- Heavy-duty scrubber pads
- Pumice stones
- Steam cleaners
- Microfiber cloths
- A liquid or powder cleaner for counters, floors, windows and stainless steel
- Do maids clean apartments?
- Yes, maids can clean apartments. Maids are often used to clean an apartment when the tenant is moving out to ensure the landlord returns their security deposit. When speaking with a maid about cleaning your apartment, make sure to discuss how they enter or exit if the building is secured.
- How much does a house deep cleaning cost?
- An average hourly rate for deep cleaning, depending on where you live, ranges from $30 to $60 per person working the job. The cost of deep cleaning a house depends on:
- Whether the cleaner charges hourly or per job
- The size of the house
- The extent of the required cleaning
- Special requests, such as cleaning the blinds and baseboards
- What is included in a regular house cleaning?
- A regular house cleaning generally includes mopping and vacuuming floors and cleaning kitchens, bathroom sinks, tiles, bathtubs and toilets. Cleaners also dust any surfaces that need it. Regular cleaning services can be customized — some cleaners allow you to add services like oven cleaning or refrigerator cleaning for an extra fee. You can also request cleaning services for just one area.
- What is the difference between deep cleaning and general cleaning?
- The main difference is the extent of cleaning. Regular house cleaning includes maintenance-type cleaning, such as dusting, vacuuming and mopping main areas like the living room, kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Deep cleaning is more thorough and goes beyond the basics. Companies performing a deep clean often assess your home's problem areas and disinfect various surfaces, such as ceiling fans and tile grout.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.