4.1/5 (9929 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two levels of protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except Washington; the company has partnered with Home Service Club of California to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Choice Home Warranty offers basic and comprehensive plans for systems and appliances. It covers items regardless of age. CHW operates through Home Service Club of California and is not available in Washington state.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: June 25, 2013

I have had a contract with Choice Home Warranty since February of 2012. I have had only 1 minor service call for my washer which was fixed no problem. However, I have had a very bad experience yesterday and today, 6/25/2013. I am a Senior with COPD (breathing problems). I came home yesterday to a failed Air Conditioner and 89-degree temps in my house. I tried calling Choice Home Warranty on their 1-888 number for three hours. I finally got somebody on the phone. The technician came out today around 1pm after several emails and failed phone calls. The technician determined that all the indoor components are in very good shape. We went outside and the technician found the condenser failed, oil leaking and all the Freon had leaked out. He told me I need a new compressor.

We called Choice Home Warranty and the technician asked for authorization to replace the compressor. Choice Home Warranty promptly denied the replacement stating the fact that the compressor had leaks and some rust. The technician explained that the compressor had failed due to wear and tear on the unit. Since the unit sits outside in all kind of weather, it is not uncommon that there will be rust, but from what I understand, a good amount of damage was also due to the Freon (acid) leak. All of that was explained to the authorization supervisor. I told him that the compressor replacement was not included in the exclusions and since there is no maintenance to be done on the outside unit, wear and tear was normal. The supervisor maintained that later in the contract, there is a clause that excludes anything that has rust or leakage is not covered.

Since I have COPD, I told the technician to replace the unit at a cost of approx. $3,000 at my expense since I needed the air to breathe. I told the supervisor that I would submit the bill and fight with them later. In fact, I will take them to court over this issue. I have since spoken to several of my friends who also have contracts with Choice Home Warranty and they had the same experience with Choice Home Warranty. If a repair is more than about $100, they will find a reason to deny the claim. I am asking to get my money back for the entire contract time and I am contacting all of my friends who signed up with Choice Home Warranty to do the same. This company is taking your money and not providing the service that they advertise.

Original review: June 25, 2013

CHW sent out a contractor for a leak test on the AC unit. Leak test is not covered by CHW, to which that info was told to me prior by the contractor. The valve core in the schrader valve was bad and there is no gasket in the valve core cap (same as the valve core in your tire valve stem). This was denied by CHW for the reason that they do not cover items not installed correctly. This $0.89 part cost me over $800 to get repaired and then to be told that I have a year warranty on that part only by the contractor. I have asked for the contractor's AZ State contractor's number and have been ignored several times. I am in the process of contacting the AZ State Contracting board on this matter. Beware of this and do not let anyone that is not a licensed contractor work on your home. This may come back and bite you if any other warranty company asks you if you have had other warranties on your home, as they will not cover work done by unlicensed contractors. I WILL NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND CHW.

Original review: June 24, 2013

I have had their warranty for over a year now and have had nothing but problems. While they are very slow to actually handle a problem, they are very quick when telling you that it's conveniently not covered. AND, their customer service people bypass rude and go straight to ignorant. One "manager" actually called me a dumb **! I had to wait two weeks to have my hot water tank repaired the first time, and half the problem was because no service contractor would come out for a service call because CHW wouldn't pay them what they owed them.

My last hot water issue involved the blower assembly for my Rheem Power Vent tank, a high efficiency unit, which they denied because they don't cover vent issues? It's a blower motor, which is a part of the tank. Basically, the tank cannot be used without this part which comes with it, right out of the factory. I cancelled my coverage, then I went straight to the bank and filed a dispute for all of the money I paid them to supposedly cover my "appliance emergencies". I suggest avoiding this company at all cost.

Original review: June 24, 2013

I had a claim for my A/C unit with Choice Home Warranty and they denied the warranty stating it was a preexisting issue and the amount of time that I had been signed up was too short. The technician that responded out stated the compressor was bad and that compressors can and do die overnight. I had a second technician's opinion that stated the same exact thing. Also I had home warranty coverage before Choice Home Warranty, so there was no gap in coverage. In Choice Home Warranty's contract, it states that you will be covered the day you sign up if you had prior coverage. So, therefore, my A/C unit had been working perfectly fine in the month of March when we had 80 degree plus weather and it worked fine all the way up till May 12.

I filed my claim on May 27 well into the new contract with Choice Home Warranty and they still said no. Even after I submitted an appeal letter and had the A/C technician call back to Choice Home Warranty to explain in detail the issues with the compressor, they still denied the claim. At the end of the day, they never paid out and basically called the technician that responded out and myself a liar. Also, I just spoke with Choice Home Warranty again and one of the supervisors told me that it didn't matter what I said or did, nothing would change their decision, and oh, that they are one of the largest growing warranty companies today, besides the fact that on the BBB website, they are #1 for more than 100 or more complaints in the past 36 months.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 21, 2013

I just filed a claim for my A/C unit. According to the tech, it was shorted at the ground. After Choice reviewed the claim, they refused to fix the problem because it happened only 50 days after I purchased the policy and they are claiming it was a pre-existing condition. Problem is that my A/C has worked fine all summer... until now. It's almost funny how their "elevator music" that you listen to while on hold for over an hour states that problems can happen at any time so you need a Choice Home Warranty. From my experience, you had better hope that nothing happens in the first 50 days (even though you have a valid policy).

I spoke directly with a Trane rep and he stated that there is no place in the manufacturer specs that says that a condenser has to be "building up" to going out over a long period of time. He said that they can just ground out. Alex, a tech with Choice Home Warranty, said my claim was being denied because it just couldn't have stopped working... it was building up to going bad (even though the A/C had worked fine all summer). I would like to add that my refrigerator went out the next day (it's been a really bad week), but it was repaired. I guess it hadn't been "building up" to burning out... or could it be that this was a cheap fix and the A/C is going to cost around $1,000 to fix. You do the math.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 19, 2013

I thought this company would be great, but boy, was I wrong. I told them when I signed up for my 3 yr. plan that my air conditioning unit was original with my 26 yr. old house and would need to be replaced soon. They said that was fine. They have come out at least 4 times so far and just end up patching the problem. No new unit. Finally, we just called last week and the technician said it was leaking Freon. Because there was normal wear and tear (some rust), they would not cover it. Their solution: I pay to have someone come and patch the problem for maybe another season, and they will give me a $200 reimbursement towards the repair (which would run me about $500). He couldn't explain how this made sense when I asked why they couldn't do it. I tried to cancel, but it took them 3 days b/c they wanted to "see what they could do to help." What that means is, keep me as long as possible to get more money out of me. I finally cancelled and he was going to pro-rate it and give me $206 less than what I should have gotten. If anyone goes to cancel and you think you are being ripped off, put up a fight and they will eventually cave. It's ridiculous and I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 18, 2013

Basically, this is a con job criminal organization. They take your money and always find an excuse not to perform the repairs. Arbitration is done through corporate - so they are judge, jury and executioner. When you want money back, they add on all kinds of charges. Stay away. Save your money. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THESE CROOKS - zero stars if I could.

Original review: June 18, 2013

I purchased this home warranty package to protect our appliances. Our Kenmore washer broke down 7 months into the policy because the spring broke, which then damaged the shock absorbers. Both items are NOT in the list of excluded components covered by Choice Home Warranty. The company denied coverage claiming that the damage had been caused by overloading and that we kept on using the unit once the spring had broken. We obviously had no idea that this was going on. The washer was working so we kept on using it. Our microwave's fuse blew out a couple of months ago, and they didn't cover it because they don't cover counter-top microwaves. Our refrigerator was leaking; they also didn't cover that. Bottom line, these guys don't cover absolutely anything, and if something they do cover does break down, they'll claim it was from wear and tear or misuse, which they obviously don't cover either.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 17, 2013

I called about my air conditioning. The guy came on a Friday and was gone in less than 15 minutes. I said, "Wow, how much freon did you place?" He replied, “2 pounds.” I said that is not enough all. No reply. I paid him and he left. The next day, I went into the basement to find water everywhere coming from trap in air conditioning. I called and called and called. No one could help me. I finally got him. He said he would come back out Monday. Monday is here and he said he cannot come by. Why not? I have already paid you and I still have no air and have water in my basement. After numerous calls to Choice, they were unable to help. I cancelled my contract of which they took out $150 less my $45. The serviceman was unprofessional, unskilled and ungroomed. This is a scam. Do not fall for this trap!!!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 15, 2013

Choice Home Warranty has no problem taking your money monthly, BUT does not like to do any work for it. This now makes the THIRD claim I have tried to file. This one is for my well, which was supposed to be included on my policy. When I called up on a weekend to file a claim about my well pump not shutting off, they said it was not covered.

I would have to wait until Monday to call the business office to straighten it out. I then insisted they just CANCEL my policy as this was (as stated) my third claim problem, and they said they could not do that either. I had to wait until Monday. This is the WORST company I have ever dealt with. My advice to anyone looking, RUN the other way from this company.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 12, 2013

Choice Home Warranty provided me a home warranty in which I made on time payments for over 3 years. Once I submitted my 1st claim, as it's hot in Texas and my A/C went out. They advised me that my claim was denied due to my A/C having a preexisting problem. However, I have been in my house for over 10 years and have not had any problems with my A/C other than normal use. I then advised the Rude Supervisor, Liza **, who contacted me that I disagree with that claim and she advised me that there is nothing I can do about it as she is as high as it goes. I advised her, "If I had a preexisting problem, then why is this the 1st time I'm filing a claim?" Choice Home Warranty is a crook and takes your money and finds reasons to not pay for any repairs. The sad part is the Contractor who they hired to go out, AirTru, advised me this is what they would do as her history with them shows they find every way not to pay for any repairs.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 11, 2013

My A/C went out on Friday. I called Choice Home Warranty. Unlike other companies, they are 9-5ers. So we had to endure the heat for the entire weekend, because the company assigned to us was unavailable until the following Wednesday. Of course that was not going to work, so I called them back on Monday in an effort to reach another company who could make it sooner. And that seemed to be hopeful, but the technician was unable to make it out that day. I then, against my better judgement, tried to take advantage of their find your own technician and be reimbursed advice, and that's when things went completely sideways.

The technician I found came within 30 minutes of me calling. Found the problem in less than 5 minutes, at which point Monday was over, so moving along to Tuesday. I was up and on the phone with CHW by 9:15 am as well as the A/C company I secured, and so far have been in limbo and it's after 1:00 pm. I was told by CHW that someone would be giving me a call - still no phone call. I have called them several times to find out why. Not only that, one representative had the nerve to talk to me about me not having A/C service records. Who has that?! And was very rude to boot.

This latest call, I was assured by Kevin that he personally was updating my records (expediting things) and would personally be calling me back to let me know what the decision was. I am floored at this point. What does he mean decision?! My A/C is out, and I have home warranty coverage!!! This is turning out to be a complete nightmare! We'll see if I get the call. And if I do, what the verdict is going to be. (I'll post an update later.)

BTW... the only reason they get two stars for coverage is because I really thought I had found a jewel. My first experience with something breaking in my home (garbage disposal) was the BEST! There was no red tape, no questions asked. When the technician came out, he checked things out. And when he could not fix it, he replaced it in under an hour. I REALLY DON'T GET THIS!!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: June 9, 2013

I called and received an air conditioning company called Payless Maint. They were polite and fast to respond to my problem. However, the technician they sent was not knowledgeable about wiring so when he came back, he installed the caps but he said the contacts were okay. The unit turned on and worked but when I tried to shut it off, the fan kept spinning and the air started to blow warm as the contacts were stuck open and needed to pull power to reset. Anyway, we called the company back and they said it was holiday weekend and they would be over Tuesday (the day after memorial day). Well they never called or showed up, so I wasted 12 hours waiting. Called back and was told a lot of emergencies. We will be there on Friday as that day my wife was home. They said between 7 and 2. Again, no show. She called and was told they were running behind. Well at 7PM, no show again. I called and was told they were backlogged and would be there Saturday 11-2.

Well 2:30 came and went so I called, yelled at, screamed at and threatened with them not showing at all. If I called one more time, I said I want to confirm. She hung up. Never answered my call again unless I called from a different number. Horrible customer service. I sent CHW an email and they have not gotten back to me. It's now 1.5 weeks and still no call from Choice. The company is a shame. Stay away. Best bet, put the money in a savings account monthly and save it until you need it.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: June 7, 2013

I had a leaky faucet in my bathtub. I called to get it fixed. They sent someone out. He then went to his truck for 1/2 hour and wouldn't take my credit card to pay the $45 service fee. He told me to call his job headquarters. I did and they told me to make him hook up his credit card machine. He wouldn't so I sent my husband to get cash. While my husband was gone, he told me that a leaky faucet is not covered by Choice Home Warranty. But when I called them, they said it was covered. They sent someone out and he demanded payment. Anyway, I didn't pay him and asked him to leave.

I called Choice Home Warranty. They said it was not covered because pipes aren't covered. I said, "He didn't even go into my bathroom and look at anything. How do you know it's pipes?" They said I still owed him $45 for the house call. I refused to pay. Then my husband called them back and they told him faucets weren't covered, but pipes were. I got a real plumber to come out. It was the valve in the pipes. OMG, they are ** scam artists. Don't waste your money on this company. I called the Better Business Bureau. They have over 800 open cases of complaints filed with them that they won't resolve.

Original review: June 6, 2013

The condenser in the attic froze up. Rust has corroded through the fan. I contacted Choice Home Warranty and was denied within 30 minutes. I was told that if there were any signs of rust, they denied claims per their policy. I read my policy from front to back (2 Times), nothing in writing in my policy states this. I then inquired if I had rust on washer/dishwasher, etc. and they quit working, would I also be denied on that claim. The answer was yes on all counts.

I live in Houston - 50-90% humidity - pretty sure I have rust of some kind on anything I own that is metal. They were also very rude to contractor. I was at the $2,100 bill and then was told I could cancel with no cancellation fee. What a relief. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. Obviously by the reviews, they deny claims without exception.

Original review: June 6, 2013

I filed a claim with Choice Home Warranty for my AC unit which was in need of repair. I had been with Choice Home Warranty about 4 months. I called them on May 15, 2013, the AC company came out May 21st. The AC unit's compressor and condenser went out. They did not get back with me until May 25, 2013 and denied my claim. They told me that I had to have records of preventive maintenance performed on the unit for the years that I have had the unit.

Original review: June 1, 2013

I placed a service call on May 21, 2013 for my condenser unit in the attic because it was leaking into the ceiling. The service contractor came out and said that the coil had to be replaced in the unit and they would have to contact Choice Home Warranty for authorization. Choice Home Warranty never did contact the service contractor to authorize. A representative from Choice contacted me on May 31, 2013 and stated I was under insured because there are three units in the home and only two units are covered.

When I entered into a contract with Choice, I clearly stated that I have three units and it was not stipulated that having three units would be a problem. The service contractor requested to fix one unit, not three units (which the one unit is brand new and the other one is in perfectly good condition). After the Choice representative continued to repeat that same explanation for not honoring their contract, in frustration, I told them not to take any automatic withdrawals from my bank account, which was a huge mistake. I immediately contacted the service repair person and explained the situation and at that time, I was told to call Choice again because their reasoning for not authorizing the work is not legitimate.

I called Choice again and requested to speak to the supervisor. Of course, they claim I had already spoken to the supervisor previously and there was not anything they could do anyway because I cancelled the contract. So I played right into their hands by backing down. It's bad when written contracts are not honored. Choice Home Warranty will be reported to the Better Business Bureau. Oh, by the way, I did tell the representative that they will be reported and I was retorted back, "What good would that do?" I'm highly disappointed and angry!

Original review: June 1, 2013

Oven went out & tripped the breaker. Choice Home Warranty (CHW) send a tech, who indicated that breaker needed replacing but CHW denied claim saying it was water damage. We disagreed, so they said that we could get another opinion, but would have to pay for it. Another electrician came out, replaced the breaker & indicated it wasn't water damage. Also, the breaker replacement did not fix the oven issue. Although the first tech from CHW misdiagnosed the issue on both counts, CHW still insists that they will not honor the warranty. Furthermore, the rep kept repeating the denial over & over again, would not allow me to get a word in, would not provide reason for denial in writing, and hung up!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: May 31, 2013

I was told my stove would not be repaired and only after I had purchased a replacement would I receive a check for only a tiny bit - over half of what I had to pay for an exact replacement. I was told I had to wait 30 days and they would issue a check. I am still waiting for that check 39 days later. I have made three calls with the last one saying the person prior that I talked to was no longer with them and my check still hadn't been mailed but would in the next 4 days. This company forces you to be proactive and you have to constantly call to follow up on what they have or have not done with constant promises that ARE NOT FULFILLED!

Original review: May 30, 2013

For years, I contracted with AHS and I found them to be a very reputable company, just a bit pricy. In February of this year, I contracted with CHW mainly because of pricing. In April, I had problems with my A/C. They came up with every excuse in the book to avoid honoring our agreement. They sent a repairman that seemed the least bit interested in repairing my A/C. I had to provide yearly service documentation. I had to provide a leak test. After fulfilling all of their requests I was finally told that CHW refused to make the necessary repair b/c my unit was corroded (not true). I asked for their decision in writing and have yet to receive their written statement. Scam! Scam! Scam! Don't Do It! Don't Do It!

Original review: May 30, 2013

I don't even have a policy with them and I was treated in a very rude manner. When I initially called to inquire about a policy, first they don't even give you a name when they come on the line. When I spoke with George the first time, he gave me a quote of $500 a year and $45 a month and asked me if I was ready to sign up. I told him I don't do anything without speaking with my husband first. He said okay and automatically released the line. He didn't ask if I had any additional questions or if he could explain anything else in great details. He just released the line. I then called back (and I'm calling back so much because I read the reviews of how sorry this company is, so I did my own test on them and apparently, the reviews and myself were correct) and spoke with Kevin.

He quoted me a price of $470 a year, $45 a month. I asked how is it lower and he stated the prices change daily. I'm like how can that be? His exact words were, "What can I tell you, ma'am? Take it if you want." I told him hell no. I won't take it now just for him being extremely rude to me. Whatever happened to good customer service and honest companies? Has America gotten that bad off? Even the service is this horrible before purchasing a home warranty with them. Can you imagine the service after they've gotten your money? Think about it! I WOULDN'T PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY AT THIS POINT AND I DON'T ADVISE ANYONE ELSE TOO.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: May 29, 2013

On 5/14/2013 at 2:00 pm, I purchased this warranty contract from David **. He stated that if I had changed my mind, I can cancel. I called on 5/15/13 at 11:00 am, within 24 hours of purchasing which I was told I had 2 weeks to cancel. I spoke to Jeanette and was given the runaround that the sales department was closed. It didn't seem that a sales department would be closed and the rest of the company was open. When I questioned the levity of that, I was then transferred to Russ. I then called then the next day after being told by Russ that Mr. ** was a Jew and it's the Jewish holiday and therefore I can't be helped. I then waited due to the respect of his Jewish holiday. I then called back on 5/23/2013 at 12:28 pm and spoke to Sam, then Victor who stated that he had given the deposit back and it was credited to my account. I find out that it wasn't but Victor didn't even process the request until later that evening. I called my bank and gave them the transaction/transmittal number and it was bogus. Not only was there nothing there, but nothing pending.

I called back on 5/28/13 after the Memorial Holiday to Sam, again saying the same lies stating that they had given me my deposit back. I called again on 5/29/13 at 1:00pm. They made the same erroneous claims. I stated that the transmittal number was bogus and he asked me to get my bank on the phone. I then 3-way called my bank and they also told them that there is nothing pending. Sam then proceeded to tell me I was stupid, that I didn't know what bank account I used all the while I gave them my last four numbers of the card I used and they confirmed it. I only have one card and I know which bank I use. I've only used them since June 1995. This company has given me erroneous information even when I called my bank and had a 3-way conversation with them. I've spoken with possessive supervisors, Sam and Victor, both of which tried to talk me out of cancelling and not giving me my money back. I then spoke to a Rossi and he threatened to come to Arizona and give me my ** money back.

I went through David, Jeanette, Russ, Sam, Victor, Rossi back to Sam and still I have not received my deposit of $262.50 back. This all took place over a span of 15 days. They kept telling me that it takes 15 days, then 30 days. I literately saw the money come out of my account as I was speaking to the sales agent, David **. It took 10 seconds and it is taking me 2 weeks to receive my deposit. I explained that I am a disabled vet and on a fixed income and I need my money. I still have not gotten any resolution or my money. This company is a FRAUD! They are holding my money hostage due to the fact they don't want me going to another company, constantly asking what they can do for me and why I want to leave. PLEASE HELP!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 28, 2013

I had a claim for a leaking hot water heater. Customer service rep says, "Sir, even a speck of rust and it is not covered," then proceeds with, "besides, the holding tank isn't covered." Ma'am, what is covered? "Sir, all major components." When did the holding tank of a hot water not become one of the major components?

Choice Home Warranty is a scam. There are so many exclusions that they can and will deny any claim. I recommend canceling immediately. You can get a pro-rated refund minus a $50.00 cancellation fee. If you can get $1 back from them, you will be farther ahead than when you think you are covered. Reviews don't lie. Any and all Real Estate Agents, do NOT buy from these people thinking you are doing the homeowner any favors.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 27, 2013

They are the biggest scam home warranty company! They made me wait a week, only to tell me my broken washer is not covered under my plan!!! So far, this is the second item they claim is not fixable under my plan!!! Save your money, and get your own repairs done!!! The money I've spent with them could have replaced all the appliances in my home! I’m done with Choice Home Warranty!!! Liars! Liars! Liars! :-(

Original review: May 24, 2013

I made a claim with this company. I called at least 10 times and could not ever get anyone to service the claim. They are liars and I would not spend another dime with them. They do not do what they claim!

Original review: May 24, 2013

Air conditioner quit working. I filed a claim and Choice Home Warranty sent a service tech to repair. The tech claimed his instructions were to clean a clogged drain and didn't include any repairs. He collected his $45 service fee and left. I called Choice Home Warranty and they agreed that service order was to repair the AC, and they would be resent without additional service fee. Same service tech came out and found the problem. Wouldn't file report with Choice until paid an additional $45 service fee. Despite protests, the claim was filed. However, the service tech was informed by Choice that they would not cover the repairs. No reason given by Choice. The reason given by the service tech was specifically covered in warranty terms.

Choice will not give reason for denial. The service tech informed me he had never had Choice approve a warranty claim. He got his $45 fee and he was fine with that. Checking around with other customers and unable to find anyone that ever had a claim covered. False and deceptive marketing. Service techs are part of the con too. Total waste of money for both the monthly fee and the service fee.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 21, 2013

I am going on two weeks without my ceiling fan being repaired. I have called many times and they say they are going to fix things. Every time I call, I get excuses; it’s either someone else's fault, need to see if it’s approved, and on and on. Seriously, just send someone out! I have no choice using this company because I am a renter. But I can assure you I will let my landlord know of the very poor service. My advice, do not use this company. Very bad service!

Original review: May 18, 2013

I have read some of the negative comments on here. I just wanted to say I have had Choice Home Warranty for over 3 years and never had a problem with the service or them paying for my AC and heat going out. I would totally recommend them to anyone.

Choice Home Warranty response
    Dear Glenda of Rowlett, TX:
    Thank you very much for your feedback! We aim to provide the best home warranty options!
    Best regards,

CHW TEAM

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 17, 2013

Please! Please do not purchase or get the month-to-month warranty through Choice. My ac went out and Choice had a tech come out. Tech said ac was out; this was not a preexisting matter nor could it have been prevented. Next morning, I got a call to call Choice because they denied my claim. Choice told the ac place it was due to having a new policy with them. When I called Choice, they said it was a preexisting matter. When I told him what the ac company said, the whole tone and demeanor changed. To say the least, I will never recommend Choice even if you want to get ripped off!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 16, 2013

I purchased warranty because it was a little cheaper than the one I had. It was the Friday before Christmas and I had a house full of people. My heat went out. I called Choice and they gave me a contractor. I called them; they said they were closed for the holidays. I called Choice back for another contractor; they had none. The CSR told me that I could call an outside contractor, have them call and get approval and they could fix it and Choice would reimburse me. I did and when we called to get approval, that department was closed and I would have to wait until Monday.

Well, I was not going to go the whole Christmas weekend with a house full of people. I let the other company fix it and paid them $565. When I filed my claim with Choice, they denied it saying I had not gotten approval but how was I supposed to if the office was closed? I called my attorney and called and called and fussed and fussed and they agreed to pay me for the part but not for the labor. My attorney too is still working on my $265. They have thousands of unhappy customers and a lot of them are going through the same thing I am. Check out the reviews. Warning: Stay away!

Choice Home Warranty Company Information