4.1/5 (10369 ratings)
$46.83 to $54.75
Availability
48 states (not CA or WA)
Labor guarantee
30 days (90 days for parts)
Service fee
$85
View Plan
Call Center Open
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington, but it has partnered with a company to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 22, 2012

Choice Home Warranty sold me on three home warranty contracts for my homes but assured me that I could cancel at anytime. After they debited my account $117 for all three of my houses, I could not reach anyone or get a phone call back. So, within the third business day, I called and canceled my contracts with them on my homes and I was told that I would receive a credit back of $117 immediately and that they were sorry for the issues. The following month, my card gets charged for only one of the houses for $32 and when I spoke with Jay, the manager, he said that it would be credited along with my $117. I asked him who else could I speak to because it seems as though the credits are not getting done and he said that there was no one other than him then the owner. I was lied to about the owner's email address so that I could not contact him concerning this matter.

It has been a few months and I still have not received any credits. I finally went to the bank and asked them to seek the funds back because I am owed a credit. When the bank contacted them, they claim to not know me and they are refusing to give me back my money, thus giving the bank a hard time. It is technically considered stealing when you take something for nothing. I have not received any type of service for the monies they took. I would be very cautious and I would not trust this company with any of my homes or my real estate clientele. They are a rip off company and only care about taking your money. Jay's word is no good. He has not given back my credits and is making it impossible for me to get them back, but yet, they have not had to do anything for the money they have taken. I wish I could sit around and debit accounts $150 or so for doing nothing.

I wonder if the owner knows what he is doing because sooner or later, this will all come back on them because God does not like ugly! There has to be something that can be done when a business is this unethical with its business practices. I consider this stealing in my opinion especially. If you do not know who I am, then why are you debiting my card $150+? Someone please explain how they do not know me but yet they can debit my account by $150 for something they never provided?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 15, 2012

I bought the warranty one year before having to make a claim for my home AC. They sent a tech who didn't know what he was doing, but did make a recommendation to replace the AC coils. The company called days later and told me that if I didn't have all documentation for the last 9 years showing that it was serviced every 6 months, it wouldn't be covered. They know customers won't have that kind of documentation and use it to back out of covering customers. Do not buy this policy from this company. Absolute rip-off! I filed a complaint with the AG's Office.

Original review: April 11, 2012

Do not purchase CHW. They will not deliver as promised.

I typically research any "major" purchase and this purchase was no different. When I was speaking with CHW's salesman, Matt, I asked very direct questions about pre-existing conditions, lack of maintenance, improper installation, etc, as we were purchasing a home and had no control over these items. I was assured that after the 30 day wait period (Matt clearly stated the purpose of the wait period was to make sure there were no pre-existing conditions), everything would be covered and we would not be held responsible for unknown pre-existing conditions, lack of maintenance, etc.

When I received the contract, the contract contradicted almost every statement made by Matt in these areas. I called Matt back and expressed my concerns about the variances between what he told me and what was in the contract. He didn't address my concerns but instead offered to waive my first service call free. I weighed out the consequences and decided to take the gamble.

8 days after our wait period, our A/C began experiencing issues. I opened a request online and had a technician out within 24 hours. When the technician finished up, he asked for the service call fee. I told him it was supposed to be waived, per CHW. Since there was no indication on his paperwork, I didn't feel it was right to punish him so I paid the service fee. I contacted CHW the next business day and they told me I had to specifically request to use my free service call. If I have a credit for a free service call, why would it not automatically be applied?

Anyway, the technician turned the repair request into CHW for authorization and they denied the request, stating it was a maintenance issue. We contacted the technician and he stated the issue was not a maintenance issue but something that happened with time. We got a second opinion from our own A/C tech, who found a leak in the coil. I contacted CHW to find out what the process would be to have another opinion for a CHW tech as a leak in the coil would not be a maintenance issue.

I spoke with Mike, a very rude authorization agent, who stated that the claim would not be covered for multiple reasons even if there was a leak in the coil. When I pressed him as to what those reasons would be, he stated that I called 8 days after my wait period. Therefore, it must have been a pre-existing condition. Excuse me?! (1) I can't control when my A/C dies and (2) it was 8 days after the wait period, not 8 days into the wait period. I guess you have to wait at least 6 months to submit a claim?

I asked to speak with Mike's supervisor and he insisted that he was the top of the food chain and there was no one above him that "I could speak with". After Mike's belligerence, I decided there would be no purpose in continuing to do business with CHW other than to lose more money and cause myself headaches. I cancelled my contract, requesting that the waived service call fee I was not given as promised be applied to my refund. I received my refund, less the service call fee, so now I get to battle with them on that, too.

Do not purchase CHW. Don't believe the spiel of the salesman, believe the contract.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 10, 2012

Choice Home Warranty provides home appliance warranty and I'm a Choice Home Warranty customer for about 5 months now. In a nut-shell, I had issues with my AC and washing machine. I had to pay out my pocket to fix the AC! Regarding the washing machine, after a month of calls to Choice Home Warranty and having assigned 4 technicians to fix the issue, Choice Home Warranty’s decision on the matter is they would pay $150 (which would be available to me a month from now) for me to buy and install a new unit. I was offered fast service to fix the issues and if the issues can’t be fixed, I was offered to have it replaced. It’s now taking 2 months to fix an issue with one appliance and numerous hours of my time dealing with technician and Choice Home Warranty customer service. All the while, I clean my laundry outside. Details below:

When I contacted Choice Home Warranty regarding the problem with my AC (compressor fan wasn’t running and I was getting no cold air), a technician was dispatched to look at the problem. He reported that main problem is with the compressor. When the technician contacted Choice Home Warranty, they responded that since the compressor was under manufacturer warranty, CHW would not cover any repair on that AC unit (even the items not under manufacturer unit). This is in direct contrast to what the customer service representative who sold me the warranty told me. When I mention that to the representative in warranty admin department, he said, the sales rep made a mistake and the unit is still not covered.

I called back a couple of customer service reps, who sells this warranty. All of them were absolutely sure that it was still under warranty. When I mentioned what the warranty admin rep said, the sales rep said, warranty admin made a mistake and it’s still covered by Choice Home Warranty. I even have emails from sales rep specifically stating that units are covered even if it’s under manufacturer unit. However, since it’s the warranty admin that determines how much to pay, I was offered $0 towards fixing the issue. I ended up paying about $800 in labor alone to have the compressor replaced.

I contacted Choice Home Warranty on 3/2/12 when the washing machine in my house starts having an issue (all the water remained in the washer after a wash). The work was assigned to a service provider (Faddai Maintenance Home Repair) and I was told by Choice Home Warranty to contact the service provider after an hour to schedule an appointment. After multiple attempts starting on 3/2, I was able to get in touch with Faddai on 3/4/12 and make an appointment to fix the problem on Thursday 3/6/12. He came to fix the issue. $45 was paid to him. He worked on the machine and left the house saying, "If the issue happens again, put something heavy on top of the machine!" Sure enough, the issue reappeared the putting a heavy object didn't help.

I called Choice Home Warranty to see what the next steps were. I was told there is nothing they can do, but I need to contact the technician. I called Faddai again, everyday starting 3/10. I got in touch with them on 3/17. He said he couldn't come out until another week. I called CHW again. A customer service rep told me the only thing he can do is to make an appointment with another company, I pay another $45, a manager would call me the following Monday and I'll be reimbursed. The second company was supposed to come out to fix the issue Monday, but didn't show.

I called CHW again and asked for a manager with the following issues: First technician didn't fix the issue, I can't get in touch with the first tech, second technician didn't show, it's been over two weeks since I'm first reported the issue, I don't know when the issue is going to be fixed and if I'd have to pay again. Manager's response was only if the first tech can't come out, then CHW will pay for the second guy. Manager said he's going to try to get in touch with Faddai and I simply need to wait it out to see how Faddai respond. Manager John showed no interest in solving this and having my washer fixed, but simply rude over the phone at me for not knowing this is the norm.

Since there was no response from Faddai after multiple attempts from CHW, a third technician was dispatched. He came, pulled the unit out, opened it up, found the issue, but parts required to fix it wasn’t available. After numerous called to CHW, I was told by a warranty representative that only thing they can do is buy out my unit. CHW would pay me $150 towards buying and installing a new washer and I have the responsibility to get a new unit. I asked them hold off on sending me the check because I wanted to discuss it with a manager further and asked the warranty rep to make sure a manager call me.

Meanwhile, since there were no new washing machines available for $150 and since the dirty clothes were piling up, I decided to wash another load. I find that now the unit is leaking. I call CHW again and reported that after the last tech opened up the machine, it started leaking. A fourth tech was dispatched (named Aaron). He found the issue to be a broken seal and no parts available again. He said he’d report to CHW how much it would cost to fix and CHW would call me. After 3 days of no call, I call CHW. After talking to multiple people, manager Jonathan’s response, Choice Home Warranty had already bought out my unit. I continued to use a faulty unit causing further damage. Choice Home Warranty is not responsible for such negligence from my side

I'm paying Choice Home Warranty to fix broken appliance in my house. I get no service from Choice Home Warranty, pay additional amount in tech fees and now having to pay all repairs myself and having to clean my dirty cloths outside! The exclusion clauses that Choice Home Warranty added to the contract make almost all repairs out of Choice Home Warranty’s responsibility to fix. A usual consumer like me believes what the sales representative says when buying such warranty and is cheated when an actual repair is requested.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 6, 2012

I signed up with CHW for 5 years and I am stuck with them. My A/C broke and the tech found the compressor to be broke. CHW denied my claim on the basis that I did not maintain the A/C properly. They said the unit is dirty and has not been maintained. This is an outside unit that I have not used over the winter. When I called their customer service and told them that I have them recorded on the phone, they hung up on me. Two of the employees (Mike ** and John) claimed to be the supervisors and they are the top of the departments. On top of that, they don't have access to previous claims. I asked for the pictures and full report of the claim and status and they said I have to wait 30 days to get the pictures and there’s no report. Luckily, I have most of the conversations recorded. I am going to consult a lawyer.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 3, 2012

Do not buy Choice Home Warranty! They are a scam! Before I signed up with Choice Home Warranty, I asked lots of questions about coverage. I let them know my house was 15 years old as most of my appliances. A few months after I signed up my standalone freezer that was only 5 years old, it started to not freeze. I called the company out 3 times; no one fixed it. They actually made it worse!

When I finally called a reputable service man, he said the CHW tech mixed Freon with the water, so it damaged the whole freezer. I had to pay him $200, and he told me it had suffered too much damage, so the freezer ended up completely dying a few months later because of CHW's negligence! Then my air conditioner had hot air blowing out and got it pre-approved to have our own technician come out, one who has serviced it for 15 years (the ones who installed it). It was a leak in the Freon hose. Choice Home Warranty refused to pay my technician nor did they pay to have the leak fixed!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 1, 2012

Choice Home Warranty has not sent refund for repair and now disputes coverage of the refrigerator. Twice they promised me a check was in the mail and I still have not received it. It is very difficult to get service and when you do, they always find a way to squeeze out of the deal. They refuse to repair or replace my refrigerator when the policy says that it is covered. This company is a scam!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: March 30, 2012

Sales pitch versus actual contract: I accept responsibility for believing the sales pitch and not reviewing the contract more carefully. The handle fell off my oven which is not covered. A water line leaks in a wall which is not also covered. The water heater tank is leaking; they will not cover even labor, because the water heater tank is not under warranty. Of course, my trash compactor was not an included installed system, even though it is a built-in.

Read the contract, because you will find things like the fact that fans are not covered in your exhaust fans. Garage. Door openers are covered--oops, only the motor is covered and not any of the other components like springs. They are not responsible for damage caused by rust or corrosion. So if a water line is corroded by hard water conditions and leaks, oops, again it's not covered.

The contractors who are sent complain about CHW owing them so much money and not paying. What the salesman tells you does not coincide with the actual contract. Our contract started at the end of October 2011, and we have already faced several of these claims being denied based upon the contract that I should have read more carefully because it does not match what the salesman told us to get our money.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 16, 2012

Do not do business with Choice Home Warranty! This company will deny your viable claim and then will not have further communication with you. You can write certified letters to no avail. When you do communicate with them, make certain you write to them certified mail for your file. File a complaint with the BBB, the NJ Attorney General who has an active case building at this time, your own state Attorney General, your state’s Real Estate Commission, as well as your state senators. They are not licensed in my state and have an open case there as well. We can put a stop to this company's bad faith practices.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 29, 2012

A claim had been initiated by the customer via the claims phone number provided by Choice Home Warranty on January 14, 2012 and acknowledged by CHW (hereby known as Choice Home Warranty) via email with instructions on January 17, 2012. CHW's designated technician inspected the product in question and reported findings to CHW. No follow up contact to the customer was made by the CHW claim representative. As a result of customer's perseverance in telephone calls to CHW claims representative, customer was advised CHW needed additional data regarding the product which was faxed to CHW within 5 business days. CHW made no further attempt to contact the customer or return phone calls; this includes the initial claims representative, the next level supervisor, Mr. Jonathan ** and his supervisor Mr. James **. Thirty (30) days from the initial claim presentation date, the customer spoke with Mr. J ** who stated the claim was denied. Mr. ** offered no explanation for the denial, stated he owed the customer no explanation for CHW’s decision and stated if he so decided he would forward a written notice of denial within 30 days.

These actions alone demonstrate CHW's false and fraudulent public advertisements. Additionally, CHW's poor efforts, communications and total lack of proof for claim denial are a blatant breech of contract. Lastly, the customer has made every attempt of a prudent man to address this claim to mutual satisfaction and was advised to "get an attorney". The customer has made appropriate repairs to the covered product and will continue to seek reimbursement from CHW. To date, February 29, 2012, the customer has not received any documentation of denial for above mentioned claim.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Feb. 22, 2012

This company doesn't operate as it advertises. I received a call on Thanksgiving Eve regarding an online inquiry I submitted for a home protection. I was advised of a red carpet treatment protection with Home Choice Plan company. I reviewed online, and 2 days later, I signed up. I have a broken garbage disposal 2 months late, so I filed a claim on 2/13/12. I didn't receive a phone call until 2/17/12 which was over 80 later, and they advised that when you file a claim, you will receive a response in 48 hours. I was advised by a Stephanie in the claim department that they contract through Sears and that someone would be out to on 2/20/12 and that I would receive a call 24 hours ahead of time.

Sunday came (2/19/12); no call. Then Monday, my spouse waited at home all day; no call, no show. So I called on 2/21/12 and spoke with a James. He said he is in Customer Service and he will email the claims department and someone will call me. I waited till 5pm; still no call. I called when I got home and waited on hold for over 30 minutes, so I hung up and emailed.

I called the next day, 2/22/12, and spoke with a Brian in Customer Service. He said he will send an expedited request for service and that I would receive a call. I still haven't received a response to my email or call, and it's been now a week and 3 days. Every time I ask for a supervisor, they are unavailable. This company is running a scam on consumers!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 12, 2012

Yes, I purchased a home warranty over the phone with your salesman. He said, I have to take it then and I would receive another $30.00 off, which is fine. He also stated that it went into effect immediately. I called home warranty on my furnace that went out during very cold weather. I was told that it was not in effect at this time, so I had to pay for the repair. I was also informed that if they called a repairman that if it was over a $100.00 the repairman had to call for approval and could take up to 4 days to get. I was also informed that the customer service and approval is not open on the weekends or 24 hours a day. This was all lie to me per your salesperson just to get a sale. I feel that your service is very bad and very unprofessional. Also people we could die over a situation like this, if this is the way your company works. I would like to have a response back from your company in this very serious matter.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

We were a service contractor for Choice Home Warranty and had the same bad experience as many other contractors. They do not pay their bills. They will not answer the phone, return phone calls, and return e-mails. This company is a scam for contractors. They get you to do the work for little to nothing then never pay you at all. I have contacted them so many times I cannot count. I hope that someone helps out small businesses and puts this company out of business. I have never had such unprofessional experiences with a company. The only person you can ever get on the phone (when they do answer which is rare) is Stanley ** and he offers no help, only to threaten you. He told me that if we refused to keep doing work for them, he would hold all the money they owed us in a reserve and never pay it.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

We paid $1500 for a Choice Home warranty Total Plan. We requested it be cancelled in Nov 2011 (signed up in Sept 2011). We left the country in Oct 2011. I could not secure service when we wanted to get a technician out to service our property. The appropriate technicians did not want to deal with Choice and or did not turn up as scheduled. This caused our tenants tremendous frustration so we requested that the policy be cancelled and handled the service request (in Nov 2011) ourselves. We have sent an email and written notification (per Choice warranty's direction) and today I called choice again and was told they have no record of our request to cancel. They put me on hold and I'm still on hold (been 10+ minutes). Please contact me via email as my US number is no longer active.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Feb. 8, 2012

My dishwasher is leaking. It needs a part called splash guard, which was added after I bought mine. Choice said it is a door gasket, and is not covered. It does not go anywhere near the door, and Frigidaire added this part, after finding out the problem. Since Choice calls it a gasket, they will not pay the $24.95 to buy the piece, to fix the problem.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

Do not buy this service. It is a complete scam. You will not get your repair completed. You are wasting your money. The entire business model is accepting the payments, and deny the claims. You are better off banking the monthly premium for your rainy day fund, when a failure occurs, because the technicians are inept, and the company has no interest in customer satisfaction. AHS had a class action law suit, and this company needs the same legal action against them.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

They denied the claim for broken A/C unit. They will not respond to Certified Letters, request for mediation, letters, emails or phone calls. I have complaints sent to BBB, NJ Attorney General, Texas Senators and Representatives. Next stop is small claims court.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

I’ve read through many of the complaints about this company and can say that many of them are the same as my experience. I paid my "warranty" in full for two years in a row. Nearing the end of the second year I had a few things that needed to be repaired/replaced, but I didn't want to seem like I was taking advantage of the "warranty". So I waited until my heater/AC went out. I decided that's the only thing I'd claim on.

Numerous calls and emails later (they really put on a show of looking like they care and want to contact you), I was denied due to lack of maintenance records. I was told it would not have broken down if it had been properly maintained. I'm an engineer and know a little about HVAC. The unit was over 25 years old. They don't last forever. When I had my own company come out to look at it, they said it needs to be replaced. CHW said it was just the heat exchanger. My company said they would not work with CHW because they were crooks.

I paid for a replacement ($5000) and am happy with it, plus I have paid a $50 visit for CHW contractor who did nothing. So I then decided to claim on all the issues I have at the house: pool, refrigerator, and microwave. Every single one of the claims ran into red tape or refusal by CHW. Funny thing is in the middle of all this they had the ** to call me at home and offer me a deal on renewal of my policy because it was due for renewal soon.

The fridge—I had someone look at it and they said it needs a new computer control unit. CHW says it needs freon, which is precisely what's not covered by the "warranty". It does not need freon. This is my second home warranty rip-off. The first was with National Home Protection. I don't care what they say after NHP went out of business (I got a little money back from the class action lawsuit). I think they turned into CHW. What do these people go home at night and teach their kids? How do they sleep at night? The only place you see positive testimonials is on their website. I can't say enough negative things about this company. The Attorney General needs to get involved.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

I've been trying to get my furnace replaced because it’s old and we put a lot of money into the furnace. This is the first time I used this company for my furnace. So, it’s not like I abuse the plan. I can’t even get my furnace replaced. I have had a tech come out. The tech said it needs to be replaced because it is more than 20 years old. They keep saying they haven’t received the right paperwork. I finally asked if I could cancel this service and just have someone to come and rig my furnace up just to get by for the winter. They told me no. I am so unsatisfied with this company.

Choice Home Warranty response

We are so sorry to hear of the details of your situation as they are not representative of the normal CHW customer experience. Please accept our apology for any trouble or inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate the feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our services.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2012

I would like you to know about the unfair practices your company has used to deny my claims. The issue was with the downstairs HVAC unit. It was reported on Wednesday, January 4th. The techs your company sent were Climate Makers in N. Charleston, SC. They identified the unit was without Freon. They needed to run a test to identify where the leak was. Your company denied paying for the test (how is it to be fixed without running the test?). I paid for the test and it was identified as the evaporator coil. CHW denied the claim stating it was the same unit as denied in June 2011 for lack of maintenance. In fact, it was the downstairs unit, not the upstairs unit which was denied in June. It should be covered.

I called to determine why it was denied as CHW only sends an email stating they have information about the claim, not what is going on with the claim. This was approximately 4:30 pm on Friday, January 6th. I keep receiving a telephony message indicating that the offices were closed at 6pm and to call back later. It was only 4:30pm, not 6pm ET. I later found out CHW closed the office early due to a celebration. CHW is not available on the weekend to discuss denied claims, so I had to wait until Monday, January 9th to speak to someone.

After being on hold for 30 minutes, they confirmed that it was denied due to being the upstairs unit and lack of maintenance (back from the June claim). I explained that it was the downstairs unit (as noted on the work order from the tech CHW sent) and not the upstairs unit. Your agent said they would send it for review again and I would hear back in about 2 hours. Four hours later and no contact, I called again. This time after being on hold for over 20 minutes, your agent said it had not been reviewed yet. I asked for a supervisor. After being on hold for 30 minutes, the phone disconnected. I called again and after being on hold for 20 more minutes, the agent said they were still trying to get the supervisor on the phone and that the phone systems disconnect calls on hold after so long.

The supervisor got on the phone and said I needed to provide maintenance records to prove the unit had been maintained. They gave me the email address of Claims at CHW. I sent not only the record of the last maintenance, June 2011, but I also sent the comments from the work order from Climate Makers. That work order clearly states that the repair was needed due to ‘normal wear and tear’ and not from lack of maintenance. I was told it would be reviewed and I would receive a call within 24 hours.

I did not receive a call the entire next day, so I called again on the 11th. Again after being on hold for more than 15 minutes, I got your agent. They indicated that they were waiting for the email. I said I had sent it and they said they would go check. Twenty five minutes later, they came back and said they couldn’t find it. I again gave them the email address that it was sent to. They said, “Oh, let me check there.” It was the email address your agent gave, so why would they not know where to look? After another lengthy hold, he said they had it and I would get a call back in 2 hours with a decision.

After 3 hours with no contact, I called back. Another lengthy hold and I was told that it wasn’t reviewed yet and to call back later. I said, “It is getting close to your closing time at 6pm ET.” I was told they would be there until 7pm, and to please call back if I received no call by 5:30pm. I called again at 5:30pm because there was no return call by your agents. The agent told me the claim was still being denied due to lack of maintenance. I asked how this could be since it was just serviced in June and Climate Makers indicated it was not due to lack of maintenance. He said that was the decision. I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor said it was still denied, even though I complied with providing proof. I asked to speak to his manager. He said he was a supervisor and I said I wanted to speak to his manager. He then transferred me to a voice mailbox with no greeting, so I have no idea if it was a manager or not. I left a message with my claim number and situation and asked for a call back that evening. I have still not received a call back.

It is clearly evident that your company’s philosophy is to continue to deny claims until they wear down the customer and the customer just gives up. Since I needed heat and it had been more than a week already, I did just that and paid for the repair myself. I wonder if you are aware of this practice and even condone it as way to avoid paying legitimate claims. The lack of response would indicate that it is precisely your goal to frustrate customers to the point they pay for it themselves. This behavior is shameful.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

We were informed by the tenant that the a/c had stopped working so we contacted CHW. They did send out a technician and it was determined that the blower motor was bad. The tech contacted CHW and gave them an estimate for the repair and CHW said that it's too much and contacted another tech. That tech also confirmed the problem and CHW then decided to deny the claim because the blower was dirty and someone had put in the wrong size blower motor.

My daughter and son-in-law bought the house eight years ago and had no problems with the a/c before now and had nothing to do with the wrong size motor being installed. Long story short, I had bought the home warranty for my son-in-law and daughter because they were renting their house while he had taken a job in OR to give them peace of mind that if there is a problem it would be taken care of--haha. I also bought a home warranty on my residence in IN which I cancelled as soon as they denied the claim. Oh, by the way, there was a pro-ration on the cancelled policy and a $50 cancellation fee. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Jan. 4, 2012

This company is a huge scam. The salesperson who sold me the plan was as wonderful as you could want. Once I filed a claim, though, it all went downhill. I've been without a dishwasher for over a week now and it's going to be at least two more weeks before mine is fixed. They offered me a ridiculously low buyout price, and when I wouldn't accept it, they became rude. Ever since, it's been a nightmare. Their customer service people are rude; one actually told me my dishwasher was a piece of ** and I was lucky they were offering me anything.

When I asked for their corporate number so I could call and complain, "Jonathan" just laughed at me, and told me he wasn't giving me a number, but if I wanted, he could give me an address where I could write a letter. In the meantime, it's tough for me. I'd have to wait until they got around to authorizing the repair. I am going to make an attempt to find their corporate phone number. If I can't, I will contact an attorney. From what I've read on the internet, there are numerous complaints against them, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a class action suit I could join.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2011

On 5/5/11, I filed a repair call for my AC unit. Then, on 5/7/11, the service was done by their repair company, but being this a weekend, CHW offices are closed to provide authorization to repair companies, but consumers are given the choice to wait or go ahead to complete the repair. Therefore, according to CHW policy; consumers are given approval to complete repair needed: “And if you are unable to wait for CHW to reopen, you may go ahead and complete repair." After speaking with several employees for the last 6 months at CHW like, John, Mike, Loren, Jonathan, Duck, and Stanley, and being requested to finally resend repair invoices and write a letter to the company, I was told today by the employee with the name of Mike: "You will never get the amount of the repair," although I tried to explain the circumstances, in addition to having an authorization number filed on 5/9/11.

It has been 6 months of phone calls and faxes and letters without any resolution to my claim of total reimbursement for the repair. The total of the repair was $238 and CWH is only honoring $138 because the repair was performed by the repair company during the weekend and without preset authorization, although their office was closed and their policy grants approval to the consumer to complete the repair and then request an authorization number to file invoices for the repair performed.

As of to date, I have not been able to collect one penny from CHW.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Dec. 24, 2011

My heater went out and they refused to fix it. I am cold and need heat being a single woman that paid in full for this warranty.

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 21, 2011

My AC unit broke down and CHW denied my claim to have it fixed although it was explicitly included in the policy. I've done all the proper maintenance on the units each year and even gave CHW the inspection and maintenance records. I had to spend several thousand dollars out of pocket to replace the unit. Now, they say I have to write them a letter for them to 'authorize' me to cancel the contract. So, they take your money, won't do anything for it, and when you're dissatisfied, they refuse to give it back. That's what I call customer service.

Stay away from Choice Home Warranty.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Nov. 25, 2011

My first service call to Choice after having them for 2 years was for my air conditioner. They sent a tech out which I paid $45 to and then Choice declined the claim telling me that it was because I did not have yearly maintenance on my air conditioner and as a result, my coils froze which damaged the condenser. They would not pay the claim and I ended up paying $1200 out of pocket.

I filed a claim with BBB. I don't know how a company like this can stay in business and continue to rip off customers and contractors like they do.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 22, 2011

I would not recommend doing business with this company! I was turned down for service shortly after signing up and I then gave notice of cancellation. After several phone calls, emails and a fax, I still have not received my refund as is noted in the contract. It has now been 3 weeks since I noted them to cancel.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 17, 2011

We are a service contractor and we did three jobs for Choice rip-off warranty company. Trust me, all the service contractors out there, do not take work from this company. I have called Stanley, who seems to be the only accounts payable person there, numerous times about past due invoices. One of them was from April 2011. And every single time I called, I got excuses. But I just called him today. I found out that they are not going to pay us at all, saying the amount they owe is in reserve. And the reason they won’t pay us is because we didn’t want to work for them and didn’t submit the invoices in a timely manner. I have re-faxed the invoices over and over again. Of course, we don’t want to work for them because they haven’t paid us for the work we already did for them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2011

If I could rate in negative stars it would be -5. I have similar complaints as listed here. I contacted them about my refrigerator turning on and off and making loud popping sounds. They stated they don’t send repair techs out for noisy refrigerators. After 4 more calls to them and threats of BBB and legal action they had a company called "the repair guy" contact me. He was going to be in my area around 11PM and he would call when he was in the area. Obviously, that wasn't going to work for us due to our early morning work schedules. The next day I had a voice mail from CHW saying they cancelled the repair call due to lack of response from me. I looked them up on the BBB site and now I know why they have an F rating.

In my experience, this company will try and wear out a contract any way they can. Do yourself a favor and save some time and money by selecting a better warranty provider. This company moved from a prior location and reformed according to the BBB files. This is kind of shady, if you ask me. The company had a chance to resolve this through the BBB and instead pulled the ‘he said, she said’ answer instead of fixing the problem.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Nov. 2, 2011

I have been a service provider for Choice Home Warranty for over a year. Every time they send you a service call and you do the job you have to fight with them to get the money they owe you. This is the sorriest warranty company I have ever done business with and I would warn anyone who has a contract with them to stay away from them.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information