4.1/5 (10720 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington, but it has partnered with a company to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

We have stopped providing service on behalf of CHW. We work in the metro DC area. They have some serious issues in their billing and authorization departments, which have caused us to lose money on multiple occasions. We refuse to work for them anymore. We wish all homeowners the best of luck in dealing with them. Contractors won’t call you back because it is CHW and they don’t get paid.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

They denied coverage on our oven due to the fact "it was an ongoing problem." I contacted the technician and he told me there was no way anyone can pinpoint when the problem started because the 'memory board', CHW said, dated back before we had their warranty. They were rude on the phone and acted as though they were reading from a script and couldn't accurately answer most questions. I went with them because they were cheaper and offered a less service call amount. You do get what you pay for! Stay away from them. Do not use!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

I called on a Saturday because my air condition unit had stopped working in my rental property and the tenants have a sick kid. Choice told me that I had to pay for the service and that I would be reimbursed so I paid. And when I requested by reimbursement, they purposely cancelled my account and did not send me any money. First, they told me my account was past due. I sent them the copy from the bank showing where I had paid them, and my account should not have been past due. So, then they said okay, we will send out the check of $115 and you will get it in 30 to 45 days. I never got anything and when I called, I was told that they were not paying me anything per the manager.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

I am feeling so regretful of signing up with Choice Home Warranty. My first experience was in calling them on a Saturday because our water heater needed immediate attention. The rep gave me a contact number immediately for a plumber. I called him, he came and called for authorization to do the repair but no one was available to give it. He asked why I chose Choice because they are the worst! He invoiced us and we have yet to be reimbursed, telling us he should not have done the repair without authorization. Then, my second claim was for an electrician. The electrician did not call back when I identified I was referred by Choice. The second company informed me that they no longer work with Choice. I called to inform Choice what they said and they told me they do not know what to do. It has been a week since the problem began.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

Warning realtors, contractors and homeowners! I was ripped off by this company and was just told by a manager "Sue me if you want." This company recruited me 1 year ago to be a repair contractor. Throughout this entire time, I had zero complaints; however, I had three invoices to CHW (Choice Home Warranty) that they shorted me $40 to $60 and told me to write it off as a misunderstanding. I did. Then they wanted to drastically change the pay structure which I could not comply. Therefore, I did refuse work until one day, their rep called me and was in a desperate situation and pleaded with me to help.

We discussed and agreed that I would do the job for them. I was given an auth # to bill them. I was never paid and now 3 months later, 15 calls and voice mails later, I finally spoke to someone and I was told they will hold my last check for up to 1 year per the contract fine print, because I ended our relationship (although they changed our contract which voided our old one). Then said I could sue him over it if I don't like it. He is not paying me even though there were zero issues with my work, parts, or service! I spent over $150 on parts alone on this job! This company cannot last. Don't invest in them!

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

In May, I notified Choice Home Warranty of 2 repair issues. For the first one, I called in a problem due to violent vibration on my Maytag Neptune washer. I paid the $45 fee to the technician when he arrived. The technician inspected the machine and stated that he had to order new feet for the machine. I called in early July and was told the parts would be in soon. The last few calls to the technician's company went to voicemail with no return status. Three months after the technician was first out to check on the Maytag, I contacted the warranty company and was told that I would be contacted by the technician within a week. After another month, I contacted the warranty company again and was told that if I cancelled the service request, I would be paid $108 and could have the work done by whomever I chose.

Immediately after the call (this was in September), I ordered the parts online and within a few days, they arrived and again installed them myself. The problem with the washer still isn't fixed and I am not going to spend another $45 for an inept technician to come out and have to wait many more months for the machine to stay broken. On the second service request, my home air conditioner went out over the Memorial Day weekend. When the technician came out, he found that I had a bad breaker in my electrical panel. Again, a $45 fee was paid to the technician. He did not have a replacement breaker on his truck so he left. I went to the local hardware store, bought and replaced the breaker. Had I not replaced the breaker myself, I would have had to pay another service charge to a local electrician for this work. I would recommend doing your homework before purchasing the Choice Home Warranty Service.

No response received
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

I called because my furnace was leaking water. There is a bath towel full of water soaked every few hours. We are in the house 2-1/2 years and had a professional home inspection before closing on the mortgage. They claim that we did not provide evidence of maintenance so we are, therefore, denied. I feel they are using an excuse so as not to replace the furnace. There was never a problem and we had a reliable inspection company, no problems with the heat at all, no leak, etc. This is bad practice and they should honor the warranty and replace the furnace. This is my first dealing with this company. We have had other home warranty companies and never had this happen.

No response received
    Original review: Nov. 12, 2012

Worst home warranty ever - I filed a claim for my A/C unit during August 2012. They sent some guy out who said he would order a part. Almost 2 weeks later, I called Choice and requested that someone else be sent to my house. That company was great and they charged my unit. They explained that they needed to contact Choice for approval for the work that needed to be done. Choice denied my claim and offered to send someone to my house that could do the work and they would charge me less than I could get if I found my own vendor.

The company they chose did not want to come to my house just for a quote. I advised Choice that the company was rude and I did not want to do business with them anymore. The manager told me he would have someone contact me about my A/C unit. I haven't heard anything from them and it’s been 2 months. So, I called them today and cancelled. Now, I am canceling because of this whole debacle with the A/C, the fact that they aren't open for customer service 24/7, the extremely poor customer service, the long wait times, and my biased experience with them. A guy called me back and told me that they would cancel immediately. He asked me why and he said that they fulfilled my claims. I told him that my A/C claim was just the beginning but that wasn't the only reason. I told him that I was not satisfied with this company. Again, he said they will cancel immediately.

A few minutes later, he called back and just started talking. He said he would cancel once I authorize them to deduct $165, which I supposed was the remainder of my contract balance. I refused and advised that I would be contacting my bank to file a claim regarding the charge that was already there should they opt not to remove it. Now, my contract with Choice didn't even say that I had to pay it off. So, who was this employee to implement a change that was not even in my contract? Not only that, but also the employee kept saying, "Are you kidding me?" like I was playing games with him.

Terrible company to do business with. I will say that my claim for my garbage disposal was good. I must say though that I feel like that's the case because garbage disposals cost less than A/C units to replace or repair. I had a great experience with American Homeshield and I am going back.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2012

Please be very cautious when purchasing a warranty from Choice Home Warranty. Our AC went out and we called and they gave us a name of their technician. So we called and his phone said not taking calls at this time. We called back and were told to wait till end of day to try. We called at end of day and his phone said same thing. We called Choice and they said get someone and call with what's wrong - we did. As our tech was talking to their Claims, after a 45-minute wait, they hung up on our tech. My wife called back, and after another 45 minutes, the supervisors said they won't cover that and hung up on her. Be very careful. We cancelled and will file complaint.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

I called Choice on 9-28-12 with an emergency situation (AC went out and had a heart/COPD 67 year old senior) in a home where the temps in house were 85-88 with no air. They failed to dispatch an AC company tech and stated I could get my own and then to submit a reimbursement form. I was told to have the tech call and explain finds, which I did. The AC company stated the air compressor was not functioning and quoted a price of $2,100 installed.

I was told to complete a Choice reimbursement form and submit to Choice, which I did. I called Choice to find out the status. I was told I needed to submit my AC maintenance forms which I did going back to 2009. After numerous days waiting with no AC, the patient was getting worse health wise. I called and received no action from Choice. I was forced to repair the situation and then deal with Choice for follow-up. I spoke with Russ, who told me the claim was in process. I called back days later and Russ's supervisor started auctioning me for a lower value - an insult of $650.

The check was to be mailed 10-26 latest, well in advance of the storm Irene. Now, the offices are closed and as of this date (10-30-12), no check was received. Since I followed all conditional requirements of Choice and had a valid policy for appliances, I want to be reimbursed for the full $2,100 ASAP! Thanks for handling this claim.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

Service Contractor for CHW, Metairie, LA - My company recently started taking work from CHW, and we are not very satisfied so I wanted to read some other reviews. I have something that I just must make clear to policy holders. I want people to know that it is not the technician's fault when things aren't covered by CHW. When we go out to a call, we are pre-approved for $100 ($45 from customer/$55 from CHW). However, it is extremely rare that we go on a call that will only cost $100. We are not on CHW's side; we are just fair and honestly trying to help people out.

It is very difficult for CHW to "approve" any service as they always ask us, "well, is this the homeowner's fault" and 9/10 times, we tell them no, even if it is. Most of us will try to help the homeowner out as best as we can. We would rather see our neighbors win than big companies like CHW take people's money. Please do not blame us if things don't work out. We are already taking a huge cut by just receiving $45. We are not going to be working with CHW much longer, and I truly wish all the policy holders good luck.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

We used American Home Shield for over seven years, and due to their increase in the price of their yearly service, we chose to use Choice Home Warranty. Big mistake! This company deceives their patrons with low yearly cost or a low monthly payment plan. I brought the warranty only to face more charges when service was needed. We have placed two claims on this year: one for an air conditioner and one for our dishwasher. The claim for the air conditioner was filed and left waiting for a responds for several - I repeat, several weeks. This was the hottest climate in our area in the last ten years and the company never followed back up with us once we filed the claim and we repeatedly call their call center just to be placed on hold, get disconnected, or just get avoided after the customer service representative realized that their company dropped the ball on the claim.

Finally, after getting uncivil with the company, they finally offered a manager who stated the contractor never filed the appropriate paper work to get the claim approved. They gave me the option to find another contractor, but they would have to approve the contractor of my choice. To make a long story short on this matter, I got a new contractor and Choice Home Warranty only paid a small, small portion for the repair - the rest came out of our pocket. We filed a claim for our dishwasher that would cost close to $800 to replace. They offered to reimburse us about $200 toward the replacement cost. You might think you are saving. Do your homework and also believe the reports about this company. I would not use them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2012

I had a new water heater put in, and then I called Choice Home Warranty - wrong thing to do. They only cover parts on a Hot water heater. The heater was 10 years old and making popcorn noises. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. To say the least, I did not get reimbursed, and how would you replace parts on a 10-year-old water heater? The warranty came with the house, and I feel sorry for the sellers and us who thought we were covered. Wrong.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 18, 2012

Choice Home Warranty denied 2 claims in one year. Two days ago my water heater burst, flooding my kitchen and living room. My claim was denied and I had to call to find that out. No one in the company even bothered to call and inform me. This is the second claim that has been denied this year. The other claim is for my air conditioning unit. They have loopholes in their contract that allow them to deny your claim for things such as rust or age. So now, I am out the $32 a month for the warranty, the $45 claim payment and I'm back at square one, needing my water heater replaced.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2012

They would not cover my plumbing problem. I paid for 2 months of service, and they said that the claim was pre-existing because I called about it 3 weeks after they took the first payment out of my checking account. I was not told that they take your money for the first month, but you’re not covered for that month, which I think is wrong to take someone’s money and not give them service.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2012

I have had horrible experiences with Choice Home Warranty - they had me chase them for 9 months to get payment then said my case was closed and refused to reimburse me. They had me fill out a form and I got authorization in February and after 10 calls, emails and faxes of all documents (about 3 hours all told with getting shuttled around to various departments), I was told the case was closed and they were not going to reimburse me a penny. One customer service rep put me on hold for 22 minutes until I got tired and hung up and had to redial and start over.

I called in March to get our dishwasher repaired, they emailed me a form and I called to get authorization; the form stated anything over $100 you need to call for authorization. I spoke to Richard, made meticulous notes and had the repair done in April. Then the fun began; I faxed the forms and paid invoice on 4/23 with no reply, called and emailed 5/9 and they said they would pay.

6/26 they said they never got the fax so I resent then 8/8 said they never got the fax so I resent and got a number to call so I could follow up the next day to ensure they got it. They said they did but the case was closed! I called again 8/13 at 10:10am and they said the case was closed immediately (seemed to be a training technique at their company to try to get people off the phone). I pushed and asked them to look further. They then said it would be processed and mailed in 2 weeks - an expedited payment of $100. I told them the claim was $396 and they said I had not gotten proper authorization.

I reviewed the notes from my conversation with Richard of 2/27 and they said I did not get proper authorization even when I told them I asked Richard if there was anything further that needed to be done and he said I was set. Then they said the claim was denied. It seems they simply keep on a track until a customer just gives up. The customer service rep was rude and transferred me to tech support who then sent me back to customer service and her line just rang for 25 min and put me back on hold for 29 minutes before I hung up without being able to get her name.

I called again that afternoon and got John who was a manager who basically told me the case was closed. After I spent 15 min explaining the story again (for the 5th time), he said he would send me $100 only as the minimum. I told him I was quite unhappy and was going to complain (but figured I'd wait until I got my $100 check before starting a case as I still did not trust them to send me the check). 10/15 I called to ask about my check and the rep said the notes said I did not want the check and the case is closed - no way to reopen it. This has to be illegal, certainly unethical and now it's more about the principle since I was changing warranty companies anyway and would have worked with my new one who always pays my claims (well the 2 I've had since I started with them) cheerfully and promptly!

First American is my current company and they are amazing - completely changed my mind about home warranty companies, night and day, from the worst company with the worst customer service and ethics to one that stands behind its word!

No response received
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2012

A few months after I bought home warranty from Choice, which covers central vacuum, I called Choice since central vacuum unit stopped working. After three weeks, Choice told me they could not find a technician and asked me to find my own technician and promised to pay the cost. I hired a technician who diagnosed the unit was normally worn down and whole unit should be replaced. Then, the problem arose; Choice used all kinds of excuses to deny my claim. Suppose the contract covers the unit if it is normal wear down, but this claim was dragged for more than two months and Choice told me, for courtesy, they only offer $100 and everything is on my own! So I think this company is just scam; they only collect premium and do nothing for you. I urge you to stay away from this greedy company!

No response received
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2012

I was called out on a job because they do not have a plumbing company doing their work in this area. No contracts were given to me to sign or any i's to dot or t's to cross. It was my first and last time to do any work for them, as they have not paid me. I was told by Ashley ** to fax in my invoice and it would be 15 to 30 days to see my payment. It's past due and my attempts to collect is only brushed off with one excuse or another.

No response received
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2012

On 10/4, I called for service request due to AC unit blowing out hot air. On 10/5 at 8:59 am Central time, I talked to customer service rep and they had connected with a John's AC Service out of LA at 8:53 am Eastern time. They offered to do a customer courtesy connect for me to talk with John's, nice offer. The phone number was not accepting calls at this time. They said since he had accepted the bid, to give him some to call me and they would also email him. I continually tried to contact John's AC Service and received same message. At 12:30 pm Central time, my husband contacted them and requested information on status. They still had not heard from John's but would look for someone else. Two hours later, he called them again. Still, they had not found someone. They mentioned it may be Monday and he said he wanted somebody out today (Friday). I did not want to be without air for the weekend.

Luckily, we had a cold front come in. Monday, 10/8, I called them back at 9 am. I talked to Jamie. She was very nice and apologized. She told me about the reimbursement service. I had someone come out and they would pay the service fee minus the $45 deductible. That's fair. At the time they discovered the issue, they would talk with the technician and go from there. I called someone and they came out. The unit was out of freon, needed about 6 lbs, and recommend a leak check to find out if unit was leaking. I called Choice and I was on the phone for about 1 hour talking to Russ who transferred me to claims, saying they would need to talk to the tech. About another 45 minutes go by, I got through to claims, handed the phone to the technician, and tech started talking to the customer service rep, who said, "We don't cover that," and hung up. Hung up!

Of course, I called back and spent over 30 minutes on hold. Finally, I got another rep, blew up a little, and asked for a supervisor, basically wanting to cancel my plan. I talked to Anthony, who allowed me to scream at him for a few minutes. He listened back to the previous calls and agreed they were not handled properly. He asked if he could connect us to claims to speak to the tech. I requested that he stay on the line (Anthony). When they came back on the line, I asked for the claims rep's name and was put back on hold. They came back on after 5 minutes and asked to speak to the tech. I again asked for the claim consultant’s name. I was told that was not what was agreed on and that they were disconnecting the call. Hung up again!

They called back within 5 minutes and refused to give me a claim rep's name and said that was not agreed upon (what the **?) and so I asked for my money back which I had prepaid for the entire year and that they better not charge me the cancellation fee that I read everyone else was complaining about. So they are refunding a pro-rated fee without the $50 fee. Ugh! I understand my contract does not cover the leak check, but what about the approximately $600 it was costing for the freon to be filled and the service time? I would not recommend this company to anyone! Stay away from Choice Home Warranty! We never should have changed companies. Does anyone know how to sue them? It seems like they are doing this to everyone when you read the reviews!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2012

Technicians, be careful with this company. This is one of worst home appliance insurance in the U.S. Service call for any service is $45 and customer pays one time for service. If the job is done less than 1 hr, you will be paid $45 service call + $50 (CHW pays). If due to any reason such as big problem, for example, bad AC compressor, the claim will be closed because "this is not covered..." You are just paid $45 no matter how long you spend. If there is some unexpected problem after the fix, and the claim is closed, you are paid nothing, losing the part and labor. In addition, the parts for service are very cheaply counted; for example, R-22 is $22/lb. You can be cheated behind although they gave you an authorization number. To call them to have agreement for service is to spend a lot of time, at least 20 min. Try to see.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2012

I called Choice to tell them about my broken washer. They sent a service company; I paid my $45. When I called Choice to find out what’s going on, they told me that the machine was not covered because they do not cover tubs. Well, this is a front loader machine; if they don't cover the tubs, what do they cover. This company is a scam! Save your money!

Choice Home Warranty response
    Dear
    We are very sorry to hear that you were not satified with you warranty. Our policy does state that we do not cover tubing for cloths washers. You can find on our website under Agreement exactly what we cover and do not cover.
    Thank you for your feedback as we do value your opinion.
    Best regards,

CHW TEAM

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 1, 2012

This company is just a scam! I bought my policy about 4 months ago. Now my air conditioner went out. I called and they had someone come out. They told me I needed to replace the condenser. This happened on a Thursday. By Monday, I was told that I needed to submit my records of the air conditioner maintenance. I did send them the only one I kept from the last time. After screwing around for 8 days, they said the claim was not approved. They said, "lack of maintenance." Of course, this was not true. I ended up just replacing my air conditioning unit. I just got off the phone with them, because I wanted to cancel my policy. I was waiting on the phone for 48 minutes. They said they will send me a check for $99. We will see what happens.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2012

Choice Home Warranty company is a total scam and they lie. I filed with the State of Maryland due to their breach of contract to fix my AC system. Their response was a total lie. How can a company like this remain in business? They cheat, lie, and steal your money. Just ask any contractor who has done work for them. They have been sued many times and just pack up and change locations but stay in business. They prey on people with claims to fix any problem, but they are in business to screw you. Everyone who I have talked to at that company is in lockstep to cheat you and smile about it. What a terrible, horrible company. Run from these cheats!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

I signed up with this company about over 35 days ago. One of my appliances was not working so I said okay, I will call them out and have them fix it. Well they came out and the appliance company came out to see what was wrong with it. He turned the machine and heard a noise. He said, "Oh it needs a new clutch." I said okay, so I paid him his $45. He said that they would be back on Friday, after getting it approved from CHW. Well that's when it gets good. I had to call them 4 times to get some answer. I finally got an answer that this is a pre-condition. This item broke after during warranty. He said it's pre-condition. I am just telling you, they can always say it's pre-condition. Better yet, their appliance compliance company came out and never got one tool out of his bag. He never opened up the machine.

I asked CHW, "What do you mean that it is pre-condition?" I said to him, "So why did I buy my warranty again?" I said to him that you can say every time you send a person out to my house that it will be pre-condition. Another thing. Never, ever pay upfront in full with this company. Don't pay a dime until you see their contract! They will tell you everything over the phone and then send a contract over. Never use this company. It might say they are cheapest, but you are throwing your money right down the drain. It seems like they want you to leave so they can make $50 for cancellation fee and pay for that month. So you are down maybe $87.00, plus your service call for $45.00. A ripoff of both companies. His subcontractor who makes $45 for doing nothing and then his subcontractor doesn't do any work besides the service call. Wow.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2012

CHW is a fraud! Don't use them. I purchased a house and the seller was to provide a home warranty at closing. Not having a lot of experience with home warranties, I did not question the information that was provided at closing. Not long after, we had a few issues with our dishwasher and HVAC unit. I called to make a claim and they told me I had to wait 30 days from the date of the contract. I was only a few days short of my 30 days. I was told by one person I could file a claim and when I called back the next day, I was told that this was an invalid claim and it had been closed based on the 30-day waiting period. So I called back after continuing to have problems with my HVAC and they told me it was now a pre-existing situation since I had made the claim request already during my 30-day waiting period.

After going round and round with the incompetent people, I was also being hung up on several times by the same person. It must be a small group of frauds running this place in NJ. Needless to say, we had another issue with our HVAC unit a few months later and we have two systems and they said they would only warranty the one that was not broken. My husband asked for a refund and they told us we would get one back for the difference left on the warranty and that was back in April and I have yet to receive a refund. People who purchase warranties from this company would have better luck walking over to the toilet and dumping their money in and flushing it. You will get the same results but just less headaches having to deal with incompetent fraudulent people who are ripping off hardworking people for their benefit.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

When the salesman tries to sell you the policy, he will tell you it is the best. When you come to the claim and cancellation, it is a nightmare. I had a problem with my dishwasher, which I bought two years ago. I filed a claim. CHW sent a technician with a skewdriver and a hammer, and nothing was fixed, and it wasted half day of my time. I complained to CHW. They sent another technician here. The technician said that the control panel needed to be replaced and he would order the part. I waited for ten days and did not hear a word. Then, I called the technician. He was very rude and told me to call the CHW to order the part instead of calling him.

I then called CHW about that and told them about the situation. He said he will have someone come next day with new panel to fix it right away. I told him I wanted to cancel the policy; he gave me all kinds of promises. When I insisted that I wanted to cancel the policy, he said that he would transfer me to a cancellation specialist. I waited forever and did not get a transfer. Then, he told me someone would call me soon. It did not happen. I called back and got a manager; he was very cool and told me that it is fine to cancel, just pay the pro-rate and cancellation fee, and that you are free to go. What a joke!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2012

Multiple houses are covered and multiple claims were denied. They are a total joke of a company who pretend to give you a warranty. I put them on several rental properties plus my home residence - total waste of money. I've maybe received $500 worth of service from these contracts that cost me about $3000. Like the other comments said, they deny not only the homeowner, but the companies that they send out. It’s a scam on both ends of the stick so they can profit. We should get a class action suit against these jerks. I had several valid claims which they denied in part or in whole. One was for a refrigerator repair that they said they'd pay if I sent them the bill (which I did because I couldn't nor could the repairman to their authorization department). Guess what?! After I sent them the bill (which the service occurred when I had the policy in effect), they denied it because they said the policy was no longer in effect.

What friggin' idiots. What total scammers. Do not buy from these people or they will always deny and deny and find some ridiculous new excuse to deny if their first one doesn't work. I wonder how these people go to sleep at night! I had my AC go bad at my Texas residence and they denied it for first one reason, changed it to another reason when I protested and then to another reason when I got livid with them. They claimed it was due to corrosion when the repairman said no. Run away from these jerks.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2012

My AC wasn't working and they sent a technician who said it needed freon. A week later, we realized the problem continued and the technician said he'd have to perform a leak test. First issue with Choice, they conveniently don't cover this. But they assured me once the leak was detected, they would repair it. The leak was detected in the evaporator coil and the technician called them to report the findings. They called me to say that because there was corrosion, they wouldn't cover it. I talked to the technician to understand why they were saying this, he said they asked him if the coil was old and rusted and he said he told them yes, but that wasn't the problem.

Their contract says if the problem is caused by corrosion or rust, it isn't covered but their own technician is saying that is not the case. They are still using this excuse. I wish I had done research and never switched from AHS who is wonderful. Stay away from this company. It is just like throwing your money away. I will report them to the BBB and talk to a lawyer to see if it is worth going after them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2012

I should have done more research before ever signing on with this company. Luckily my contract is up next month. I've had it for 11 months and just now filed my first and only claim on August 7, 2012. They assigned a technician to me. Then when I called, he told me that they don't contract with CHW anymore (this should have been a red flag for me). Then they assigned me another one. He was the most unprofessional person I have ever dealt with in life! He told me he was coming on Friday, he never told me what time. I called Friday and he said by 11. He came after 12. He told me that he had to order the part and he would come back next Friday. I paid him (luckily with a check).

Next Friday came and I never heard from him. I called and he said he was sick in the hospital and didn't have a chance to submit the claim yet. I called CHW and complained. They assigned me another contractor (this would be #3) and the email said I had to pay the service fee. I called and told them I would not be paying anyone twice. They said they called the man (Faddai Maintenance, never use this company) and he said I never paid him! So he made me look like a liar. I sent them the copy of the bank draft and they waived my fee. So they sent another contractor out (this is number 3 now) and he diagnosed my oven and wanted me to pay him. I told him that my fee was waived and he said his paperwork said I owe him money.

I told him I was not giving him a dime and it is not my problem that CHW didn't inform him. He said that since I didn't pay him it will take longer for him to order the part. I called CHW to complain and they assigned me to someone else! Contractor #4 was supposed to come today, they did not. I called and they said that they talked to CHW and they cancelled! I call CHW and the man tells me that there was some confusion and my case is now approved. **! A month and 4 contractors later, my stove is still not fixed. I will never recommend CHW to anyone.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

In Texas, I don't know how a family can live without a working air conditioner unit in summer time, but that’s what happened to me and my family for 10 days because Choice Home Warranty failed to repair and honor the contract of my home warranty. First, the lousy technician did not make it to my house for over 50 hours and two days of opening a claim. The technician spent about 5 minutes in my house and a minute to glaze at the coil that was sealed without opening it to determine what was wrong, rather Choice Home Warranty denied my claim saying that it was rust that caused the leak.

After talking with Jonathan **, one of their managers, he says he wants to help me instead of accepting their obligations as stated in the contract. For your information, I am going to court with this company as they are a worthless, disingenuous company and a complete waste of money for people to pay them. They are a fraudulent company and no one should spend his or her hard earned money to buy a worthless contract from this company. Avoid this company at all costs.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information