4.0/5 (11598 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington, but it has partnered with a company to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: May 1, 2013

I called Choice about air conditioning unit. They said I would have to pay a technician out of pocket $150 for a leak test. Choice came back and tech said unit had rusted and corrosion from the freon that was leaking out. They said clause of said unit is not covered in this condition. I called another air service and they said this happens to every unit when it gets old. Choice uses this to scam money for years and then get out of paying for these units. They have not and will not pay for any major repairs ever! Choice is just a major rip off!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 25, 2013

I purchased this warranty on a month-to-month rate from my checking account. I called Monday to report my garbage disposal isn't working right, and it's leaking. I'm afraid it's going to cause my vinyl floor to come loose and damage the substructure of my home. A manager first tried to send out an appliance repairman who said he doesn't come to my town without a trip fee and doesn't do plumbing work anyway. Next, they referred me to another company. I phoned to set up an appointment and was told the woman I had to talk to would have to call me the next day. She didn't.

The next day, I'm referred to another company. I called them and explained the whole deal, including that I do not have a water shut off in the home, and whoever comes out must be able to turn the water off at the curb (told each one this over and over again). First, they told me they'd be here that afternoon. The next day, they would try to squeeze me in and would call later that day. Now, they say they'll be here first thing tomorrow. This despite me repeatedly telling each person at Choice and each so-called repair person (which turns out to be working a Mom and Pop repair service and not something like Service Masters) that my floor was coming loose from water damage, and I was afraid it would damage the actual structure of my home. Nothing. Nada. No help, other than telling me that if they call someone else, I may have to wait longer and it's too late to get in touch with anyone now.

And yes, like others, I see the verbiage about 24/7 coverage and service. **! I told the woman I spoke to that I've worked in the law for many years, and this is simply unacceptable, but she doesn't seem to be willing to help in any way. So, I will cancel this policy, and they'll play H-e double hockey sticks getting me to pay them a penny towards a cancellation fee! This place is nothing but a major rip off. I will also file a BBB complaint and notify my Attorney General and Consumer Affairs Department. How sad that they are still in business!

Original review: April 24, 2013

I contacted Choice Home Warranty to repair our A/C. It took them four days in the Florida summer heat to even come out to look at it, only to be told by the high school A/C repairman that he couldn't fix it due to a pre-existing condition, so we called to complain. Their customer service people told us they'd work with us and didn't want to lose our business (obviously because we were about to renew for another year, which won't happen now). So we hired our own experienced A/C repairman to repair it, and sent the invoice in, etc. and they denied our claim. They refuse to answer our emails and we have to keep hounding them to get anything out of them! So after paying several hundred dollars for this warranty and an additional $526 for repairs, plus they're $60 service call fee, we haven't gotten jack squat from this company. I won't stop until this company is exposed for what it is in hopes that it goes out of business, because I don't want anyone else to have to deal with this kind of treatment.

Original review: April 24, 2013

This company has denied nine claims out of one in the past year. I have seven homes covered under this plan and I am definitely changing. When I joined, they said that they would replace a part with like part, but that is not the case. They replace with builder or contractor parts, which is bottom of the line. I am furious with this company.

Original review: April 22, 2013

Choice does not repair your products. It even goes to the extreme of not letting you escalate your problems. I reported microwave problem on April 1. The contractor had to order parts. It is April 22 and the parts were installed today. The parts were installed and machine started to blow fuses. The contractor says it was not arcing but the company is using that to decline the claim. It goes on but I'm too tired to continue. Bad company and no customer service!

Original review: April 22, 2013

I contacted Choice Home Warranty regarding my A/C unit. The service man arrived, determined the problem, and relayed the information to CHW. I was then contacted by CHW informing me my claim was denied. I immediately told them to cancel my service, and they did absolutely nothing to try to retain my business. A friend of mine had the same problem recently, and he also canceled his service. I had to apologize to everyone that I referred to CHW and advise them to find a warranty company that will honor their claims. Choice Home Warranty is worthless and a rip-off. I will campaign to discourage anyone I know or anyone I come in contact with who is considering using them not to.

Original review: April 19, 2013

We worked for this home warranty company for about a year. They started to get behind on payments so we refuse to do anymore work for them until they pay for past due billing. When they still would not pay us after many attempts by us, we gave them a note of stopping work on any further work orders. This has been going on from 2011 to date with no payment.

Original review: April 18, 2013

After I cancelled my coverage with AHS because of their high rates and poor services, I was vehemently recruited by Choice Warranty over 4 months ago. We filed our first claim today for repair of a covered problem. After we paid the so-called diagnosis fee to the contractor, Choice refused to pay my claim for this covered problem. Life is too short for this hassle, but I will not let it go without filing a complaint. I do not recommend this company to anyone because they will find a way not to honor your claim. This company needs class action suit to be filed against them for fraud.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 9, 2013

My AC broke and I had to fix it myself. They dragged the issue for a month and it was hot summer. Another time they didn't come to fix my emergency plumbing issue. I think this company is just a scam and they should be sued.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: April 5, 2013

I was with AHS and decided to go with CHW because they had better rates. At the time, we could not really afford the monthly fee and service calls for AHS. I paid this company monthly for over a year and never made one service. My compressor on my A/C unit went out last week and they sent over a repairman. He submitted the correct information and CHW said that they cannot help me because I needed 4 years of records for my A/C. I never had this problem with AHS. I am not back with AHS and they will cover everything as promised. A little more expensive, but you get the service you deserve. CHW are a bunch of blood-sucking hounds and they had better not ever call me or e-mail me again!

Original review: April 4, 2013

If there was a minus category, I would check it. This company is a scam company. Do not contract with them. They lied to us and our local company. We have emails and phone calls for approval for a well pump, but then they refused to pay for most of the job after it was completed. I have filed a complaint with the BBB in NJ and will file with AG office in TX. Their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever encountered with any company in 5 decades. They are rude and unprofessional. They were yelling and one person even hung up when we were without water and trying to get help. The state of NJ needs to shut them down!

Original review: April 4, 2013

Choice Home Warranty is sending us multiple unwanted spam emails day in and day out. We have never subscribed to their mailing list or had any dealings with them. They change the address these emails are coming from to avoid our spam filters, so they're obviously aware that what they're doing is unethical and wrong. Do you really want to deal with a company who does this? Someone completely unethical and desperate? Of course not.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 29, 2013

Please read very carefully the limits and what's included and what's excluded. It is a rip ff. When I read the excluded, I found that they just included the minimal and most of the repairs and the replacements will be the homeowner's or tenant's responsibility. They are just ripping people off and without real warranty.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 22, 2013

They cheated me with my money twice. I'm going to sue them now. Run from that company as fast as you can. Do not give them your credit card number.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 21, 2013

My water heater was under warranty, but the company said that they have already spent over $460.00 so they refuse to repair it or replace it. They were trying to refuse to repair just the microwave, and the repair person were trying to get the $45.00 payment but had never come to my home. He just spoke with me over the phone. You need to read every section on your contract because when signing up with them, they will tell you they cover everything that is listed on the contract. But they look at all the (excluded and included) things that are excluded are normal, such as rust in the tank (excluded), water heater leaking (excluded), and pressure reducing valve (excluded). These are just some of the normal things. This company is a big rip-off!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: March 15, 2013

At first, the dishwasher wasn’t draining so I called CHW for an appointment. I waited all day. When no one came by 5pm, I called the tech of OnTime Plumbing. The man told me he didn’t have time for CHW and to get another tech. I thought how strange. I called and got a new tech. All was ok, but then there was water under the sink. The tech said the air gap was not installed properly and not covered. I called the landlord. He put a new faucet on the sink and removed the osmosis that wasn’t being used, exactly what CHW told him to do. Ok, or so I thought. I called the tech back. The rude lady put me on hold then started a lot of questions about the dishwasher. I told her, the tech was already here and all that she told me was she didn’t like my tone of voice and to get another company. I already paid the tech $45 the first time. I called CHW and I’m waiting for call back. The runaround is crazy.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 13, 2013

I bought the home warranty. Three months later, our washing machine broke. It took a few days for someone to come out. They of course required payment for his service call upfront. He said he would order the part we needed. Two weeks later after calling numerous times, we were finally informed that he wasn't going to be able to get the part "from his supplier" and therefore would not be able to fix our machine. That was it and they wouldn't even divulge the part number so that we could just go buy it ourselves! So desperate to be able to do laundry and after $300 of expense and the hassle of going to the laundromat for 2 weeks, we ended up buying a new machine. This company ripped us off and apparently they do that to most of their "customers." So sad.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 3, 2013

I bought my house in May 2012. I called on February 26, 2013 about my heating system and they sent out a technician who told me that my furnace was very dangerous and needed to be replaced. The warranty did a follow up call the next day and told me they would contact the serviceman to have him order what was needed. The next day, I received a call from the warranty company telling me that the heating system was dangerous and needed to be replaced but that they were not going to cover it because they said it was a preexisting issue.

Now I had to ask them if they had someone inspect the house before they sold the seller the warranty. Of course, they said no. I told them that I was reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, which I did and their company is located in NJ and is not listed with the BBB. I wonder why. I also told them that I would be spreading the word on how bad their company is and how they don't honor their warranties, and that since their rep told me that my heating system was dangerous and needed to be replaced but they were not covering it, I would also be contacting an attorney, which I have.

I received a phone call from CHW asking me why I was blasting them all over the place and that I shouldn't be angry with them. I calmly explained all of it to him and after arguing with me, I told him that I was contacting an attorney. He just said, "Well, we will wait for a call from the attorney." Everyone should report them to the BBB you can do it online and it only takes a few moments.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: March 2, 2013

Do not go with this company. They promise the world but if something breaks, they don't cover claims. Their typical excuse is that it was a "preexisting issue." Of course it is a preexisting issue because if the appliance was brand new, I would not need them. There is the manufacturer's warranty for that. This company is a scam. Do not deal with this company if you want to save aggravation and disappointment.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2013

I recently purchased a warranty from Choice. I called to file my first claim on 2/21 due to my heater not working. The first tech they assigned to me could not come to my house until a week later. I called Choice and asked if I could have my own technician to come out. I was told I could and they would reimburse me. My tech came but was not able to repair the heater that day (I had an appointment and had to leave my home). He was booked the next few days so I called Choice again and asked if they could send someone out on the 2/22. The rep was very rude and basically told me I can't expect to have someone come to my house with less than 24-hour notice. I told him that we still needed to try, because surely there is someone out there with availability. He said all he could do is find someone and it would be up to me to find out if they are available.

Well, a tech contacted me and he was available for 2/22. He came to my house and told me he needed to test a part to troubleshoot and didn't have the part on his truck but would call if he could get it the next day. In the meantime, he performed a band-aid fix that had the heat working for a few hours. I called early the next morn (2/23) to tell him the heat stopped working the night before and he stated he could not reach Choice to get authorization for the part but would test the repair with a part he had to determine root cause of issue. I didn't believe that he couldn't reach them so I called myself. I got a message that said they were not accepting inbound calls and to call Monday-Friday from 9-6. Well, that was disturbing considering all over their website there is text that reads agents available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I called again and pressed a different prompt but got the same message, but this time I was told if I had an emergency to send an email to their emergency address. I did so immediately. It's been about 55 hours and I still haven't gotten a response. I even sent a message through their online inquiry form and still no response! Having no heat in the middle of winter with 2 very young kids (infant and a toddler) are not cool and an emergency! Back to the repairman, he came back on 2/23 (I had already paid him the $45 service fee) and informed me he believed there was a different issue. He also let me know he couldn't get authorization from Choice until Monday which meant I would be without heat for essentially 2 more days. I called Choice this morning to complain about how misleading it is to state agents are available 24/7 when in fact they are not (I would not have signed up if I had known that).

The first rep was very rude and told me it doesn't say that on the website but instead it says you can file a claim 24/7. I read to her specifically what it says on the website (Our agents are available 24/7, 365 days a year) and the fact it does not specify only for claims and she then backed down and transferred me. I have talked to several agents and we finally landed at "I am not sure why the system didn't transfer you" or "Are you sure you heard that...not sure why the message said no one was available." It was almost as if they thought I was lying when I said I couldn't reach anyone, which why would I!? My family was freezing so I was anxious to talk to someone. They went on to say I should have reached someone but even if I did, they do not authorize on the weekends. Excuse me?! So if a pipe burst in my home on Friday, am I just stuck with a leak until Monday?! That's ludicrous! And I never did get a response on why no one has contacted me after sending an emergency email and an online form!

To add insult to injury, I stayed home from work to try to get my heater repaired (and freezing in the meantime) only to get a call from the tech stating Choice will not cover the part needed to repair the heater. Choice informed him that the issue was considered pre-existing and on top of that, they stated I hadn't had my policy except a few days. Then they told him I had it repaired in October and the tech should have known it would break down. Well, I have several issues with this. The repair in October info came from me. When I called to file the claim, I joked with the rep that I had just had a repair done in October and here I am having to fix the heater again. Well, they obviously recorded that statement. I am not a technician and didn't know what was fixed and whether or not it is the same issue I have today or not. It's like I was being penalized for having a repair done long before getting a Choice Warranty (4 months prior). I didn't like the fact that they tried to use my words against me and when I questioned them, the rep said, "I don't know what you are talking about."

Then I find out that although I got the warranty in January, it didn't go into effect until 30 days later (which I am not even sure why this was even mentioned considering what I am about to say next). Finally, I am told the part isn't one of their covered parts. The rep referred me to section such and such paragraph x. So basically, they called the problem an unknown pre-existing issue. I was livid because as a consumer and a non-tech, how was I supposed to know it was pre-existing or how would I have known it should have been repaired by the old tech last year?! All I could get was "I am sorry. There’s nothing that can be done and I couldn't speak to anyone else because I was speaking to the manager." I cancelled, lost the $45 service fee, prorated amount I had already paid, and $50 cancellation fee equaling about $200 and I still have no heat!

Now, I have had to call my own tech and will now have to pay him for labor and the part. This company is not interested in paying claims. They are in the business to make money. Worst customer service and there are more excluded repairs than included ones. I would tell you to read the fine print first but that won't do any good. I read but as a non-tech person, that stuff didn't register to me but what should have registered is the fact that the excluded list is super long! I only wish I had googled them first which lead me to this site way too late. I am hoping I can spare someone else. Please stay away. Stay away!

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Feb. 25, 2013

Just as everyone else, I had a claim denied on my A/C. The reason that was given was because I did not have at least 2 years worth of service documentation for a property I had lived in for less then a year. It is clear that their company policy is to deny and hope that people just give up. I have filed a complaint with the AZ Department of Insurance, which can keep them from doing business in AZ. All States should have some similar agency, and if they get enough complaints, they can take action. I am also taking them to arbitration. Despite what it says in the service agreement, you do not have to file arbitration in NJ, you are not limited on the damages you can seek and you can ask for punitive damages. The limitation they put in the contract is a joke. If you win, they probably won't pay up and you'll have to start collection actions in NJ, though. If enough people take action, we can close this unethical company.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 22, 2013

I changed from American Home Shield to Choice Home Warranty. It was a big mistake! I have had a few issues covered, but when I really needed them, they failed me. I returned home from vacation to a leaking water heater. I called CHW and a plumber came out. The plumber was told it was not covered. What the hell do I have a warranty for? American Home Shield would have covered it, but to save a few dollars I had switched. I tried to cancel, but I would receive no refund. I am keeping it until it expires and not renewing. I will do everything in my power for people to know they are not truthful.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 17, 2013

I have had CHW for more than a year and during that time, they have not paid for a single claim I have requested. Unfortunately, I got duped into buying a 5-year service contract by their sales person, who promised the world in terms of service. I (unfortunately only after the fact) read all the negative experiences from other CHW customers very much resembling mine. Now my question is: how come this company is still allowed to be in operation? What can be done to stop this company from duping new victims? I am very interested in ideas and am willing to spend time to make sure that happens. Is there a way to revoke this company's business license?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2013

This company should be shut down. I had to spend about 4 hours over 2 weeks to get them to pay the claim on my 2 broken sump pumps (which I pay a premium for). They referred a plumber who was unprofessional and who replaced them with lower quality pumps than what I had. This caused flooding. Choice said that it's in their contract that they can use builders' grade equipment in our homes. They said it is not their problem and they should have never authorized the claim in the first place - I should be happy. I tried to cancel and they won't let me do that either. I am stuck paying a company who will not pay out claims and whose service reps are stuck to a script of, "I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is how it is ... I am a manager. Have a good day." It's completely bad business and I wish I came across these reviews before I went with this company. I'm out my premium dollars, my deductible and the money it cost me to fix the problem they left me with. It's despicable.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

I took a 1-year warranty with Choice - their online pricing seemed competitive and the closure process was easy and quick. Bad experience, turdy technicians, should be run down to the ground and be asked to shut shop - a horrendous experience!

There was blockage in the kitchen plumbing - it was fixed and they advised that I had build up in my drain pipes and wanted to upsell some $200 stuff - no, thank you; I had to call in another tech after 10 days and this was 4mo. back and it still works fine. Microwave fuse had broken - tech came for inspection, said it was faulty construction by builder since they had to take the microwave out, the work order was cancelled. I called GE who came and fixed within 5 days of placing the request without breaking the building down.

With the above two bad experiences, I cancelled my contract with a written notice to their office in Dec 2012. I followed up with 2 calls early and late Jan. A rude customer service on phone said that my refund of $260+ should arrive within 30 days. It's been 2 mo. now and nada! I am about to give up. Don't ever do business with Choice Home Warranty.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

Please, please do not get this company for your home warranty. Our heat broke down and they have denied our claim, stating that it was not serviced. I spoke to Alex, the manager, and told him that we have a 2-month-old baby and he said that it was not their problem, that it's just company protocol. Please do not use Choice Home Warranty. You will regret it.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 8, 2013

I have purchased one year warranty last year for year 2013. I was waiting for three weeks to receive my contract so I could read the conditions (had to call them twice to get it). My washer happened to break and I requested the service. They sent the technician to diagnose the problem. The new part was needed to repair my washing machine. I received the phone call from a technician saying my warranty company declined to pay for part and service. When I contacted them, they said my washer had pre-existing condition! That is not true. So they are not going to pay. The worst part is that I requested to cancel my contract and they refused that as well! So I'm stuck for a year with a company that is doing everything possible to get your money and do nothing for you when need arises. Don't get into a contract with them unless you have a brand new house and all new appliances; otherwise, they will find a reason for your service to be declined.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Feb. 6, 2013

We bought a 3-year contract in June 2012 and paid it in full. We had to make a claim in August 2012 on the AC unit. Originally, it was denied. After being accused of trying to rip them off and it looked very suspicious, we had to provide proof of no tampering on our part. It took their tech over a month and several phone calls to fix it. Out of the three claims, none was approved. Only after having to argue did they pay on the first one. Now, our heater is out, same unit, and they denied the claim on it. When I asked to cancel the contract because of being denied on the claims, they said they would prorate it minus $50 and any money they put out. So out of $1,100 in a seven-month period, they are only refunding less than $500. All three contractors advised us that CHW would try to deny the claim over anything.

This last tech put it in writing that there was nothing we could do to prevent the unit from going out. It was normal wear on a 17 y/o unit. CHW proceeded to tell me if we could provide service documents for the last several years, they may be able to help us with a new unit. CHW told the tech they had a $1500 cap (of which we were not advised upon buying the coverage) and would pay that. CHW then told us the next day that they are denying the claim due to a rusted and clogged part. They told tech it was because we couldn't provide records of regular maintenance. We have only lived there 3 1/2 years! I do not feel I can trust them on fulfilling any other claims made in the future.

The customer service reps were rude and I had a supervisor to refuse to talk to me. My refund should be $1,100/36 months = $30.55 x 7 months = $213.88; $1,100 - 213.88 = $886.12. If they would fulfill the obligation for which the contract was purchased, then I would not feel the need to cancel it. Thus, I should get my full money back! We told the salesman that the only old appliances left were the heater/AC, water heater and the range top. Everything else, including the septic tank and roof, had been replaced in the last 2 years. The salesman told me that wasn't a problem as they covered those problems. I have asked multiple times for written itemized bills, but I haven't received them yet. CHW is just a big rip off. Use caution when dealing with them.

No response received
    Original review: Jan. 31, 2013

We have had a few instances needing to utilize the home warranty we purchased with Choice Home Warranty and have had extremely difficult dealings with them. They seem to look for and find any reason to not cover or reimburse for the very things we purchased their warranty contract for. When we first used the warranty several years ago, they were great but in the recent couple of years, they have become very difficult to deal with and have some reason for not covering the problems we have had. I would definitely not recommend Choice Home Warranty company to anyone. The best recommendation I could give is to save your money and use it toward calling your own repair company because you would end up paying the majority of it out of your own pocket anyway.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 22, 2013

Sales rep who call you to bait you into purchasing this warranty will promise you everything. When it comes to putting their words into action, well, they deny ever saying any such thing. My heat stopped working during the holidays. I called them on Friday; they took down the claim and on Saturday emailed me a number of the tech to call. I live in Staten Island, NY and the tech way out in NJ. I called and he said, "I don't service SI." He didn't know why they give everyone his info. The temperature was colder inside than it was outside which was about 15 degrees. I called them back and only the people taking the claims were available over the weekend and couldn't do much.

So I called a local company who were nice enough to come over and luckily had a circuit board at the store which they went back and got and installed. I called CHW, faxed them the receipt and they denied the claim stating that I had to go with their tech and had to get their permission to call my own person and then started to ask technical questions as to why the wiring was done and why they just happened to have the circuit board. Really?! I mean, really, how would I know? I was just grateful to have heat back. I cancelled my policy with them.

This company is a load of crap. I would not recommend this to anyone. It's a nightmare dealing with them to get reimbursed. Of the two claims I put in, I have been denied for both. It's just a very sleazy way of ripping off good people. The BBB should shut them down. They have no business ethics or customer service skills. They just want your money every month, case closed. Do not buy a policy from them. You will be sorry.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information