4.0/5 (11527 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers two protection plans and multiple add-on options to protect against unexpected home system or appliance repairs and replacements. Both plans cover household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington, but it has partnered with a company to provide Choice Home Warranty-branded products in California.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service
    • No home inspection

Cons

• $500 roof repair cap
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: June 11, 2014

I had an outside outlet that had to be replaced and two inside of the house that didn't work. When one of them was replaced the other one then worked. Very satisfied with the work.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Excellent, prompt and professional service by both Choice staff and plumber... Thank you!

Original review: June 11, 2014

Very good follow ups, ensure that I don't lose track of which claims haven't been paid attention to. Vendors was good to work with.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Our air conditioning went out on Memorial Day. Authorization for repair was not available. We contacted Quality Air who had been maintaining the unit under a service contract. They determined that the condenser coil needed to be replaced. The following day, called authorization and was instructed by Will to e-mail copies of the service call record and repair estimate. I did this and reviewed blind copies of the transmission to make sure it had gone through. No response. On 5/28, I called authorization again (LONG wait on hold) and was told that not received. Resent x2 with blind copies received to confirm transmission. This time told could not open attachment. (Although I had no trouble doing it) Faxed documents. Had to call again to confirm receipt, but told not "uploaded" into system.

I was told this would be expedited and to expect authorization # shortly. No call, no e-mail no update on choice website "account center" through 6/6. Reached "David" in authorization after 20+ minute wait. He stated that the information was "incomplete" and asked for information already on documents that he had received. He stated that he could only authorize repairs up to $300. The repair estimate provided on 5/27 was $1207 and David stated that there was a limit of $1500 for any single claim. David also stated that the authorization department had placed "7" calls to Quality Air. He stated that once they could talk with Quality Air, authorization would be completed in an hour. Spoke with Laura at Quality Air. She stated that NO calls have been received.

She passed information on the claim to the technician, but he was unsuccessful in contacting authorization. On 6/9 Brian ** of Quality Air was able to contact authorization and answered their diagnostic and maintenance questions. He was told to expect a response in one hour. No response. On 6/10, ** and I again contacted the authorization department. This time we were told that because there was some rust on the external unit, the claim had been denied for "failure to maintain". ** explained that the unit has been serviced under a maintenance agreement since we purchased the home in 2011, that some rusting of the external cabinet is normal in units of this age and type and that corrosion was not responsible for the failure of the unit to cool since there was no leak of refrigerant.

We were told that denial of the claim was "final" and transferred to "customer service". Lisa now requested maintenance records be faxed to her, although she admitted that she had no ability to re-evaluate denial of the claim. We were then transferred to Jody who demonstrated minimal knowledge of the technical issues involved and was not at all interested in addressing our concerns. She quickly became hostile and hung up on us. To date (6/11) we have not received a written decision documenting the reason for denial. The advertising that I had to listen to multiple times while on hold stated that Choice Home Warranty would insure equipment regardless of age as long as manufacturer's maintenance requirements were met.

My complaints include failure to provide timely claim service, attempts to avoid coverage as stated in the contract, failure to provide claim evaluators with decision making authority appropriate to the claim and AWFUL customer service- interminable phone holds, contradictory responses, failure to provide timely and promised responses, unverifiable reports of attempts of customer contact, unavailability of a procedure for appeal of adverse claim decisions and unprofessional RUDE behavior by customer service supervisory personnel.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Once again CHI came through. Tech dispatched expeditiously. Showed up ON TIME and was Professional. Problem repaired and we are HAPPY.

Original review: June 11, 2014

My experience was stress free. The customer service representative was very attentive and courteous. The follow up calls were immediate and the emails kept me informed. My technician came hours later and handled our problem. Well job! Since then I have recommend two people to switch home warranty servicers.

Original review: June 11, 2014

My dishwasher went out and I called CHW to report a claim. They set up a service call. Service man was prompt and told me the problem. He said he would contact CHW and someone would get back to me. CHW called me and everything was completed. They were very prompt. I had another home warranty company, but they were a lot higher in price. Have never had any problem with CHW. Thanks so much.

Original review: June 11, 2014

Choice Home Warranty has been my service company for several years, and my experience with request for service calls has always been handled by a professional and courteous staff. I know from past experience that my claim will be handled quickly and efficiently. I can count on Choice Home Warranty to get me through the process with ease, no hassles and they are fair. The cost is affordable and I am always glad to refer friends and relatives to them. My recent dilemma was no air conditioning in 90 degree plus temperatures. A repairman was here quickly, problem solved within 24 hours and I am a happy camper.

Original review: June 10, 2014

This is a pitiful company and should not even be allowed to be in business. First of all, they find a way not to pay for anything! And they are really good at that. On top of that, their customer service sucks. You will never get the same person on the phone who is already familiar with your situation. And when I called to cancel the rest of my contract, which according to them will be prorated, they said that they can't because they paid a claim once for a very small amount and that there is a cancellation fee and between that, there would be no refund. Now I think I know how insurance works and when you cancel a policy, there is no relevance to what was paid during the time you had the policy in force. I don't think I have ever worked with a company this bad who just doesn't give a crap about their customers. Even the companies that came out told me that they are a terrible company. Do not use this company unless you like getting ripped off and love aggravation!

Original review: June 10, 2014

The repair man that was sent did a professional job. The hot water heater had to be replaced so I was a little disappointed, but all turned out well.

Original review: June 10, 2014

What a relief!!! The technician assigned to my job was very thorough and very professional. In addition to doing the basic job, he provided me with tips to keep my AC functioning at the optimum level year around.

Original review: June 10, 2014

"Bubba" came prepared to get right to work. The garbage disposal was clearly defective and was promptly replaced. Thanks for completing our repair quickly and cheerfully.

Original review: June 10, 2014

This was my first time filing a claim with CHW and I was very pleased. Customer service was very helpful and responded very quickly. The process was explained clearly. The technician that arrived at my home, the appliance dr, was very helpful and professional and my repair was successfully completed. Thank you very much!

Original review: June 10, 2014

Excellent and easy way to create case online. Followup was quick and resolution was proper on time.

Original review: June 9, 2014

Before giving a quote, the online form asks you information about your home address and phone number. Next, it told me that it doesn't cover my area (Los Angeles suburb) and informs me that they will take my information and give it to First American Home. Within seconds, a salesperson from poorly rated and performing First American Home was on my phone. So much for privacy. This is abusive behavior.

Original review: June 9, 2014

After reporting my problem to your claims department, I was called promptly by a local service provider to arrange for an inspection of my air conditioner. When the technician arrived he quickly diagnosed the problem was the cooling fan motor which was overheating and stopping the fan from functioning properly. He had a replacement motor on his work truck and corrected my problem expeditiously.

Original review: June 9, 2014

I have been a customer with CHW since 2011 and had just one claim since then until now. They state that they will insure regardless of age of a item within your home. My air central air conditioning system of course has been insured under my plan. Last year they came out to add additional freon since the system was not cooling the way it should, and this year the system fail again not to cool. When the service company came out, they found the lines to the condenser frozen and covered with ice. They waited to thaw and then added Freon but through their looking at my system, told me that the condenser coil had to be replaced. They also told me that the reason why I need freon was that the service tech who came out in April to give the system a tune up didn't screw the caps on.

Now, with the information the techs from CHW stated about the condenser coil, I request it to be changed by their coverage. They refused to replace the coil stating that because the cap were not screwed on. One thing doesn't have anything to do with the other, I told them, and that their own techs wrote down in the order invoice about replacement of the condenser need to be done. They request proof of the maintenance I had done to the system yet, this time stating that the invoice just mentioned tune-up and nothing further other than a statement the coil was damaged. The April techs chose the wrong wording since damage wasn't the case, since it was hit by anyone or anything, he meant not in proper working order due to wear and tear.

CHW refused to pay even though their techs told me verbally that it was in that shape through age, because of wear and tear. Because of their refusal, I cancelled my insurance with them and demanded a refund for the use months of the plan... I will not recommend this company. They will hang their hat on anything not to pay. You can deal with facts with them and still they will find a way out..... Save your money by not going with them....

Original review: June 9, 2014

I have used CHW for 3 years. Nice experiences with them. They answered questions with courtesy and send technicians over in a timely manner. If they cannot find a technician, they will reimburse the repair cost to the person you found. That is a plus.

Original review: June 8, 2014

Excellent response by Choice Home Warranty. They had a company come the very next day and told us our coils were not leaking and it was working great. An air condition maintenance company said we had a leak and it would have cost $600+.

Original review: June 7, 2014

Everything was on order of time and service was great.

Original review: June 7, 2014

I had my first service call and a technician showed up within 2 hours, diagnosed problem and Choice Home Warranty approved replacement for a brand new garbage disposal. Very easy to work with and professional treatment. I highly recommend Choice Home Warranty.

Original review: June 7, 2014

We had a sink that would not drain in our son's bathroom. We called Choice Home Warranty and the plumber came out the next morning and fixed our problem. After 10 years with another warranty company, it was a pleasant surprise to have this claim handled so quickly and hassle-free.

Original review: June 7, 2014

Excellent service from plumber. Contacted me and kept in touch when they would be there.

Original review: June 6, 2014

Jason the Any and all appliance repair not only fixed our refrigerator but explain thoroughly everything he was working on. Thank you Choice Warranty for your promptness in helping us.

Original review: June 6, 2014

The Electric Technician came on time, and immediately realize where was the problem, and fixed right away. Great Job. Thanks.

Original review: June 6, 2014

Although tech did not arrive when he said he would, he stayed very late at my house to get the job done which I greatly appreciated. He was knowledgeable about his job and worked hard to get my AC repaired.

Original review: June 5, 2014

The job was done in a timely manner, within 24 hours of the initial request. The company personnel accurately diagnosed the problem and repaired it promptly.

We were very satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: June 5, 2014

Prompt, courteous service and excellent response time from service contractor. VERY pleased indeed!

Original review: June 5, 2014

Your customer service is very, very nice. They were very helpful and prompt. They were able to give me all the information I needed. Even the Company that came out to take care of my problem was very prompt.

Original review: June 5, 2014

Our Kitchen sink backed up yesterday morning. We called Choice Warranty and they sent out a plumbing Company (Joe's Plumbing) within a couple of hours, and he cleared the system. After he was finished, he cleaned everything up. We were very pleased with the individual as well as the job.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information