Get a Quote

4.0/5 (12924 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Cancellation fee
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 22, 2011

I would not recommend doing business with this company! I was turned down for service shortly after signing up and I then gave notice of cancellation. After several phone calls, emails and a fax, I still have not received my refund as is noted in the contract. It has now been 3 weeks since I noted them to cancel.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 17, 2011

We are a service contractor and we did three jobs for Choice rip-off warranty company. Trust me, all the service contractors out there, do not take work from this company. I have called Stanley, who seems to be the only accounts payable person there, numerous times about past due invoices. One of them was from April 2011. And every single time I called, I got excuses. But I just called him today. I found out that they are not going to pay us at all, saying the amount they owe is in reserve. And the reason they won’t pay us is because we didn’t want to work for them and didn’t submit the invoices in a timely manner. I have re-faxed the invoices over and over again. Of course, we don’t want to work for them because they haven’t paid us for the work we already did for them.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2011

If I could rate in negative stars it would be -5. I have similar complaints as listed here. I contacted them about my refrigerator turning on and off and making loud popping sounds. They stated they don’t send repair techs out for noisy refrigerators. After 4 more calls to them and threats of BBB and legal action they had a company called "the repair guy" contact me. He was going to be in my area around 11PM and he would call when he was in the area. Obviously, that wasn't going to work for us due to our early morning work schedules. The next day I had a voice mail from CHW saying they cancelled the repair call due to lack of response from me. I looked them up on the BBB site and now I know why they have an F rating.

In my experience, this company will try and wear out a contract any way they can. Do yourself a favor and save some time and money by selecting a better warranty provider. This company moved from a prior location and reformed according to the BBB files. This is kind of shady, if you ask me. The company had a chance to resolve this through the BBB and instead pulled the ‘he said, she said’ answer instead of fixing the problem.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Nov. 2, 2011

I have been a service provider for Choice Home Warranty for over a year. Every time they send you a service call and you do the job you have to fight with them to get the money they owe you. This is the sorriest warranty company I have ever done business with and I would warn anyone who has a contract with them to stay away from them.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

I was contacted by mail with a brochure outlining coverage. The brochure indicated to go online to purchase the contract. When I did, the coverage was totally different than the brochure indicated so I did not get the policy. Then the phone calls came into my home. I received 8 calls in one day from the same person trying to get me to purchase the policy. A few days later, I received an e-mail from Choice Home Warranty claiming I purchased their policy and my credit card was charged. I immediately called their customer service department on a Thursday morning, and they told me I would have to talk to a cancellation representative. They would not be in until the following Monday. I am not confident I will get that call. Choice Home Warranty does not sound like a good company to deal with.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2011

One star is even too much for this company. They are a ripoff and a scam! Do not do business with them. Choose any other company for appliance insurance, but not Choice Home Warranty! They will not honor any complaint, they will try to get out of doing service in any way possible, and then when you ask for a refund from the business, which they guarantee if you are not satisfied, they will not honor that either! Buyer beware!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2011

I requested a service for a unit, which was not responding to turn off. The technician came here and did not check the thermostat or unit. I never tried to run the heater. I took many pictures and said he would submit his findings to the company and they would contact me. They called the next day to say that the unit is not covered because it was dirty. They were very rude, and seemed used to taking the abuse from disgruntled consumers. This company, obviously, is cheating many people and should be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2011

I am most concerned, based on my current experience, that Choice Home Warranty (CHW) is operating in a non-businesslike fashion and contract holders should consider a request to cancel or not renew their agreement immediately.

Our primary residence A/C-Heat Pump unit failed on Saturday, September 24, and our family has had no A/C or heat since then. My claim was filed immediately. Their authorized local service vendor was summoned on September 27 and initially misdiagnosed the issue (one co-pay paid), returned on September 29 (another co-pay paid), and indicated that my compressor needed replacement.

I contacted CHW that same day. I did not receive a call back and finally spoke with a CHW representative named J++ (a well-known figure as I read in other similar complaints) on October 3, who told me to submit my maintenance service records over two years to his personal email. After waiting and not receiving follow-up after three days, I contacted CHW on October 6, was placed on hold for 15 minutes, and then, was told to re-submit those same maintenance records as well as all pages of my current maintenance contract.

I also was told failure by my current or former A/C heating service technicians to "check all of the boxes" on their respective maintenance report documents stating what services were performed on my A/C heating unit over the years may result in my claim being denied. Jokingly, I responded to the CHW representative that had I known this may be true, one could assume forgery of these "check marks" on those documents prior to submission would be condoned as a means to get one's claim approved.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 30, 2011

My husband and I are leasing a home from some amazing people that within the last year, we purchased a warranty from Choice Home Warranty. Unfortunately, we have had to ask them to file a claim that led to a compressor being needed for our downstairs unit. Well, it's been 4 days with no a/c. Hardly any return calls and more importantly, excuse after excuse after excuse. Now, we were told moments ago that nothing will happen through the weekend either. So Monday will come and if this company does not back up its warrant promise and dedication to its policy holder, the Better Business Bureau will be there to help us and the owners of this home.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2011

This company is obviously scamming contractors. Starting in January of 2011, I was contacted and given an authorization #. Work completed and customer was happy. Repeatedly I resubmitted paperwork, email after email, numerous phone calls to customer service and accounting to inquire about getting paid. Stanley ** in accounting told me several times that a check is being sent out. Stanley doesn't respond back to emails I sent. I called to ask for a VP email address. Customer service said they aren't allowed to give it out. It is extremely hard to get a hold of anybody with this company. Long wait times on the phone when you call in. It is now September 2011 and this company can not even afford to pay out $115. Do not contract out with this company unless you want to work for free.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2011

The customer representative stated that plumbing is covered. The website states plumbing system is covered. The document detailing coverage states that plumbing, including the drain system is covered. However, in the beginning of the document, the fine print states in an extremely diluted way, that CHW does not cover anything outside the house, including drains. This is clearly misrepresentation. It feels like an old bait and switch scam. We'll do this and this, but wait, read the fine print because we lied. I feel like a fool for trusting this company and wasting money on these criminals.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2011

We started a plan with Choice Home Warranty and canceled the next day after we found some of the reviews. Should have looked first, but nothing I can do about that now. Anyway they said that they would refund the money.

Waited two months and they still haven't refunded the money. I called back and they are refusing to refund the money. So I looked what others have posted and they have lost a lot of money.

This is what we need to do. Contact your local police department and file a complaint with a detective and have them fax the complaint to the Edison, NJ Police Department at (732) 287-4192. It takes about 5 minutes of your time.

If they get enough complaints, they will start an official criminal investigation. Listing your complaint on the BBB may get them a bad grade, but that's it. If they are ripping other people off like they did me then they need more than just a bad grade from the BBB. Consumers need to be protected.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2011

I give Choice Home Warranty a big fat **.

We have been working on a leaky tub spout for over a month and now no plumbers in Mohave county, AZ want to work for these crooks since they know they won't get paid. The customers will be told, "Oh that's not covered under your contract."

What a scam and waste of money. Go with American Home Shield or 2-10 .

No response received
    Original review: Sept. 16, 2011

I am an insurance agency owner of 23 years. I have never experienced such poor service from any company. We had an AC break at our home and were told by Choice that we needed to pay ourselves and then get reimbursed later because we did not pay the deductible on our last repair. The tech actually forgot to take the check and we had previously mailed it to the repair company, which is a client of mine.

Choice now does not want to pay anything on the repair we paid for because they said we did not get pre-authorization. We did exactly what they told us to do. And now they are going back on their word. Terrible!

They will not let us cancel the warranty and give us a refund on the premium either!

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2011

Choice Home Warranty refuses to pay on jobs that they have sent to us and approved all parts needed. After the job was completed, with parts purchased by us, the job completion form was faxed. We waited 30 days with no payment. We daily tried to call and sent several faxes demanding payment. After finally speaking to "Stanley", he promised that a 3-month due bill was in the mail and the other payment due was not received; then moments later, claimed he does have the claim and will process.

We have other outstanding claims that we are going to have to contact the customer and advise them that they are responsible for payment since their home warranty refuses to pay and "Stanley" told me that he was going to sue us for "definition". I told him it is in our rights to do so and will. He then hung the phone up on me with no other comments about the other payments. I spoke to our attorney, who informed me that we are within our rights to contact the customer and advise them that they are responsible for payment since their home warranty company refuses to pay.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Sept. 10, 2011

I was contacted in early 2010 by CHW to represent them as a service contractor here in the Austin area. It was not until 2011 when we started getting work orders for claims. We followed protocol when getting so-called "authorization" to execute repairs, and thus submit invoices. We were continued to be contacted by CHW to do work and thus their account continued to rise on what they owed us.

After a few months, I saw that they were not being truthful as to when they would pay. I left voice messages for someone to call me back, sent emails but they continually ignore my request to communicate with someone about my account. We did several service calls between April and June. Eventually I was able to speak to an individual in the Accounts Payable Department, he called himself, Stan. Stan was someone arrogant and rude when we would speak. As of to date, I have yet to receive payment. He made several claims that our payments were either in process or getting ready to be mailed. Neither of which was true. I caught him lying about payment. He had told me once that the computer notes showed that a payment of $655.00 was in process and he assured me that a check was to be mailed on Monday, Aug. 22, 2011. We had this conversation on Tuesday, Aug. 16, 2011. I told him that I would call again on Thursday, Aug.18, 2011 to follow up and verify. When I spoke to him on Thursday, the 18th, he told me that, "It looks like a check is to be mailed out by Wednesday, the 24th or Thursday, the 25th". I told him that that was not what he told me on Tuesday and that he lied to me for the third time. His response was a pure admission to it but "Oh well".

Corporate companies like this swallow up smaller contractors trying to survive. I don't have the power to fight against them, but if we stand together, those who they have taken advantage of, maybe we can have a voice. Do not work for this company. They are crooks and liar!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2011

I have made 3 claims and I have paid my part, but it has been 7 months and the repair company hasn't been paid yet. I have called CHW 7 times and they have been rude and have given me a bunch of lies. Do not trust them.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2011

This company has done so many unprofessional things that it is hard to know where to start. I signed up with Home Choice Plan warranty but they did not honor the agreement so I switched to Choice Home Warranty. At the bottom of their email, it states that they are in no way affiliated with the other company. After being refused service, I did some research and realized that they were the same company. The contact phone numbers are the same for both. When I called them regarding this, they would just say that I must be confused.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Sept. 4, 2011

We did work, as a vendor, for Choice Home Warranty ($1250) and they refused to pay. They keep giving different pay dates, different excuses and are flat out lying! We just want what is owed to us.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2011

I have been a customer with Choice Home Warranty for something like 8 years. I called CHW and gave them my new banking information since I changed banks. That went fine, until I looked at my old account which has no funds in it and saw that they took the monthly fee out of this old account, and now, I have a $34.00 overdraft fee. CHW also charged my new bank account as well as the old one, so now, I've been charged twice in one month.

I called and talked to a male named Troy and he says he is the manager, and I asked him about taking care of the $34.00 overdraft fee that I incurred due to them using my old account, and his response was that he cannot do anything about that fee and that it was my problem. If this is the kind of managers that CHW has, then they will be losing a lot more business than just mine. I've paid CHW in monthly fees of over $4,000 and they can't take care of the $34.00 fee that they caused me to have. Well, I am no longer a customer with CHW and I do not and will not refer anyone to this company.

So now, I have $34.00 in the hole, and I have to go through issues with the banks to make sure CHW will not have access to my funds. I'm sure it's is going to cost me as well to stop payment with CHW.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2011

Let me just say that I only submitted 4 claims and all 4 claims were denied because it wasn't in the contract. I purchased the total plan. I will never ever use them again. They are just running a scam.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 30, 2011

I was told by their salesman that they fully cover the AC unit and that they also cover the outdoor plumbing/pipes, since I had an $800 issue with that years ago. He said they did, so I signed up and he took a payment from me immediately. I had to wait 30 days. I was having an issue with my A/C and I called them and I said water was leaking out of it. They told me that was not covered. By this time, I had made 2 months payment to them. I asked for a refund of at least one of those payments and they refused. When I asked to speak to a manager they transferred me to an extension that didn't work. They are very crooked and are scam artists.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 29, 2011

In January 2010, we were contacted by Choice Home Warranty to offer services to their customers. We have been providing services through residential service contracts since the company was inaugurated. This type of work, contact and authorization was quite common for this industry. Over the course of 2010, we found ourselves still waiting for payments. We were advised to "fax" the invoices once work had been completed. We did. In September 2010, 9 months after we began offering HVAC services to Choice's customers, we found ourselves still waiting for payments.

We spoke with a rep named Stan **. He stated, "You have to sign up as a contractor to receive payments." We reiterated to him we have been contacted by Choice over 20 times in the past 9 months. We have provided service, retained authorization, and have yet to receive any form of payment from Choice for services rendered. I was advised we had to sign an agreement 9 months after in order to be paid. So, we did. In November, we contacted Stan ** asking where the funds were. He said, "Oh, fax them." I expressed we have, multiple times. He said, "Oh well, fax them to me." So, we did.

In December, I was assured in a telephone conversation that they are working on getting the check cut, but due to the holidays they are running behind. January 2011 came and went. I left messages for Stan ** in February. Shortly after that, Mr. ** called me back and said, "Being these invoices are now over a year old, could we maybe get a discount on some of them?" We went over every invoice. We did offer 2.00 off this work order, 8.00 off of that work order. I was assured that we would receive funding in 2 payments beginning with a check in the amount of $924.00. This was told to me on the 25th of March 2011. Then, after that check, we would receive another payment of $370.00. And 1 week after that payment was received, we would receive another payment in the amount of $385.00.

On April 21, 2011 at 9:10 am, I spoke with Mr. **. He assured me the check would be sent to me immediately. The check I received was backdated to April 18, 2011 in the amount of 924.00. It was the first of multiple installments. Also, we were asked to continue to offer services while all the money issues were being worked out. This was the only payment ever received from Choice Home Warranty. I had called multiple times, left multiple voicemails and emails to Stan **. In June 2011, I spoke to Mr. **. His reason for non payment was: "I heard you told a customer we did not pay our bills!" I asked him for such a customer's name etc. He said, "I am not obligated to tell you, and good luck getting the rest of your money." Everyone should be aware of such businesses such as Choice Home Warranty. We are owed several hundred dollars for services rendered.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 25, 2011

We have numerous properties covered by Choice Home Warranty (CHW). A rental property had a problem with the air conditioner. Our call was assigned to a service technician who did not have the money to replace the part. So, we asked to be assigned to another technician, which we were. The technician diagnosed the problem and submitted our claim. Our claim was denied because of "rust" which is not covered by the warranty. Nowhere on the paperwork from the technician did it indicate rust. I called the technician to verify and he informed me that the CHW representative was trying to pressure him into saying that it was rust. But he insisted that rust was not the cause of the failure. CHW refused to contact the technician again to verify his diagnosis. They input false information into their system to ensure that the claim would be denied as they knew it would be a costly repair. I was told by Jonathan of the Authorizations Department (Jonathan is the entire department) that I could cancel my warranty and get a refund for the remaining amount.

After purchasing a warranty through another company, we called to cancel and were told by the Cancellation Manager that policies can only be cancelled within 30 days of ordering. Jonathan is on vacation and the Cancellation Manager was not even willing to pull up my account to see if Jonathan had noted that we could cancel. I have already filed a complaint with the NJ Attorney General and my complaint has been forwarded to the FCC. If there are any attorneys who would care to investigate, I'm sure we are not the only customers this has happened to and I believe a Civil suit could be possible. We live in California, and ironically, CHW is no longer offering warranty coverage in California.

Whatever you do, stay as far away from this company. They are the reason people from New Jersey get such a bad name.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2011

They should rate 0 stars. On January 27, 2011, I received a solicitation email from CHW and called the phone number. I spoke to a sales representative named Matt ** who told me they were running a special promotion for new customers who paid annually. I looked over the list of items covered and remarked to him that the heating and a/c systems were listed separately. He asked me if I had both systems, so I proceeded to explain that here in LV, NV we have single packaged HVAC units that handle both the heat and the a/c and that living in LV, my most important item covered was the a/c more than the heat. He said that since it is one unit, the Basic Plan would cover it. I told him I was still very concerned by the terminology and he replied that since they were running a promo special, they will upgrade me to the Total Plan for the Basic Plan price of $327.50.

I told him that I wanted to cover my pool and spas, and he said that $130 would cover them. I charged $457.50 to my Discover card for the policy to be effective on 2/27/11 thru 3/27/11. On Tuesday, August 9, 2011, my a/c stopped working. I called the customer service department and spoke to representative, Mary, who told me I did not have coverage for my a/c because I had the basic and not the total plan. I explained what Matt ** had told me, and she gave me a claim number and instructed me to call back on Wednesday, 8/10/11. When I called, I got representative Steve who said my a/c was not covered, but if I pay an additional $130, I would be covered in the Total Plan from 2/27/11.

I gave my credit card information to him, and when I was done, he said, "Now, you have a 30 day waiting period." I said, "I would not have paid the additional $130, unless my a/c is covered now." He said to hold on and then came back on the phone and said, "We will cover you as of today for the a/c but are charging you for the year," and he gave me the name of a contractor to contact for my diagnosis. I called the contractor and he was very reluctant to come to my house because he said CHW owed him over $1,500 and he knew he was never going to get paid, so he asked me if I could call them and tell them he was too busy.

I called customer service again and told them that I needed another contractor and they gave me a different contractor to call. I called and scheduled a diagnosis appointment and paid him my $45 deductible. He diagnosed that I needed a compressor and a control board. He said he would call the Authorization Department in the morning. He called me the next day and said he spoke to a representative in Authorizations and told him I had a very well maintained the unit and that it was clean and free from rust and corrosion. I also told them that I needed a compressor which would be about $1700. He said that the representative said, "Have a nice life," and hung up on him.

I called customer service and spoke to Mike and said that I needed my a/c fixed a.s.a.p because it is 107 degrees in LV. He told me they needed me to send or fax my maintenance records for the unit and someone would contact me within 24 hrs. I faxed two of the most recent maintenance tune-up invoices and never heard from anyone. I called and spoke to representative Alex who said they required more proof. I faxed 8 more pages and waited another 24 hours and no one called. I called back the next day and spoke to the supervisor, Jonathan **, who told me to fax again because no one received it. Again, no one called.

I called back on Friday and spoke to supervisor Ben ** who said it was in the Review Department and someone would call me Monday. I waited all day and no one called. I then called to verify that someone received my faxes and was told to re- fax the information, so I did. On Tuesday, no one called me, so I called again and spoke to supervisor Jonathan ** who told me that Ben was wrong and they were not in the review department, and I needed to fax the papers to him directly. He promised to call me back and said that he would take them to the Review Department, personally.

On Wednesday, he never called me, so I called again. Jonathan said he didn't receive the faxes (5th time), so I asked him to go to the Review Department and double check to see if they received them. He came back on the phone and said they were still in review. I asked him to please go back and tell them I am desperate to have my a/c repaired and to see if they could speed up the process. He came back on the phone and told me they never even bothered to read my paperwork because I did not have coverage for my a/c. I said, "Then why did your company take more money from me and send a contractor that I paid $45 to and email me a contract that clearly states a Total Plan for $587.50 effective 2/27/11? He said, "Well, they made a mistake and the contract you have is not valid."

I was so upset. I told him that I wanted a full refund of the $587.50 I paid CHW, plus the $45 deductible I paid the contractor for absolutely nothing. He said they would waive their $50 cancellation fee and pro-rate my policy and that I would receive a refund for the 7 months of unearned premium @ $38 per month, plus the $130 extra I paid them, totaling to $396. I told him that since everything so far that I was told on the phone was a lie, I wanted it in writing. He said, "I will shoot you a cancellation form letter with the amount printed on it for you to sign." I agreed.

Later that day, I received an email with a standard form letter and a standard blank cancellation form with absolutely no money amount printed on it. I have not signed it yet due to the fact that it is not what I agreed upon. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and should have their license to sell revoked in all states, not only WA state where they were "pulled". They have an F rating with the BBB and over 400 complaints.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 18, 2011

I have done work for these crooks for a number of months since 2010. I have purchased parts for their calls and have answered many calls in a very short time. I sent in every invoice the day the work was accomplished.

This August (2011), I have repeatedly called the accounts payable department and I talked to someone who identified himself as Stanley. He insisted on me faxing him another copy of all my work orders, which I did, and he told me that I will get paid within 45 days. When that time was up, I called again to request for my money and was told that since I have terminated my contract with these people, my payment is under review. He can only pay me when he gets permission from the president of the company. He refused to give me that person’s name and a mailing address to contact him.

I called the number on the invoices and asked the receptionist at the customer service if the address listed on the form and on the website is the actual location of their company. She replied, "Why do you want to know?" I said, “I would like to go there and see you, people, face to face.” She replied, "Why would you want to do that?" She refused to give me the address and also refused to forward my call to the president of the company.

These slugs are dubious at best. Don't use them under any circumstances. If you are in Marietta, GA, you can call me and I will give you the name and number of a good home warranty company: 4041-569-3091 Marietta Comfort Air.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 16, 2011

I purchased a home warranty on my newly purchased rental on 1/21/2010. Policy was renewed on 2/21/2011. My AC started blowing hot air instead of cold air around the last week of July 2011. Choice Home Warranty sent out an AC company to assess the problem. They reported bad compressor due to bad valves in Scroll compressor. Choice Home Warranty requested service history from me and I have provided it to them. It has been very difficult to get this far with them on this issue and others with this property and other rentals. It appears that they are trying not to cover this problem by the responses I have received from some representatives (will not mention names here) and some vendors.

They are reviewing the information that I sent them. Also, they are refusing to obtain a second opinion, instead have decided to give me a difficult time. Another professional AC company has informed me that Scroll compressors do not have valves. Also, from my online research, it appears that the diagnosis may be faulty.

It is not clear how the AC company arrived at their conclusion. I have requested further explanation from the AC vendor but have not received any additional details. I have paid my deductible promptly but have not received the proper service. Tenants with small kids are now enduring the condition and have not paid me rent as yet for August 2011.

I await Choice Home Warranty's decision and I will update you accordingly. (Note: on some smaller issues, they try to be prompt and helpful. But at times, maybe due to the contractors that they are able to obtain, quality service has been hampered). I have contacted a local attorney and have kept him informed of the proceedings.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 13, 2011

07/27/2011: I called CHW concerning an air conditioning problem and I was assigned to Allied Air H&C to carry out repairs. Assigned claim #**.

07/28/2011: I called Allied Air H&C and they said they had problems with CHW and don't do work for them anymore. I called CHW, they requested a previous contractor (Aire-Serv) but was told that they were no longer doing work for CHW. CHW gave me new contractor, Farr Plumbing & Heating. CHW told that Farr P&H would call within 30 minutes but they did not, so I called Farr P&H and they said they would have a technician out on Monday August 1, 2011.

08/01/2011: Farr P&H showed up and diagnosed problem as compressor failure due to leak in evaporator coil. They will size replacement for $45.

08/10/2011: I called Farr H&P to get the status. They said they'd call back but never did so I called CHW for status. They said they'd call back but didn't.

08/11/2011: I called CHW again to check the status. CHW said they were waiting on the contractor to source parts. I called Farr P&H receptionist and said she had told the technician to call me yesterday, but will tell him to call again today. No one called back. I called again to make a claim for second air conditioning system failure. The A/C upstairs which was repaired earlier on claim no. ** has failed. CHW said they will put into dispatch and they will call today. No one called back!

08/12/2011: Someone from CHW called and said my first claim was sent to their compliance section for review. He requested maintenance documentation to verify that unit was maintained properly. I faxed required documents today and tried to call him, but no one answered at the number I was given. I called CHW to find out if a company has been selected for my second A/C claim. I was transferred to Compliance Section (the guy who didn't answer my call) and said he will check if my fax was received and will call me back. He never called back.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2011

After paying the service fee to two different technicians, the second because the first didn't want to deal with Choice Home Warranty, I was told that my A/C wasn't going to be covered because I didn't have records of previous service. I'm not happy about this so I told them to cancel my policy. I was told this was no problem, and that the total of the reset of the Warranty and the extra service fee would be refunded. It was all a LIE. Now when I called to find out about my money, they informed me that there was no indication that the policy was to be canceled and that the second service fee is not refundable. WHAT!

I encourage everyone to either not get the warranty, or cancel NOW. The link to cancellation the form is: **

Fax it to **

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 8, 2011

I purchased a warranty covering all of the appliances and major units- ac and heat - on 6/3/11 and at the time, all my stuff was running in great shape. Middle of July 2011, Our ac unit would stop working in the heat of the day. On 7/20/11, I called CHW and asked them first of all what my account number was because I never got anything in the mail informing me of my service agreement or account number that the salesman told me would happen. They emailed me my account number and let me know the technician that was assigned. I called but the technician said he couldn't come out to my home because they were too far out to come - I live in Yanceyville, NC. They assigned a guy from Gibsonville, NC over an hour away to come check out my ac.

I contacted them again via website and on 7/26/11, the new man came out. After evaluating my unit he said it was the motor and the fan needed to be replaced. He asked me if I had any problems before. I told him the motor and blade was replaced over a year ago which was under warranty form the original purchase and it was fixed through that warranty but since then we had no problems, until this year. He came back in and said your warranty is not valid through CHW - I just paid for it so when I called they told me that this was a pre-existing problem which was explained in the customer agreement, I informed them that I have had not seen that agreement and I was unaware of such things. He said, "Plus your warranty is so new, it won't be covered because of that too."

I was a little upset and said to him, "First of all, I was unaware of my ac messing up when I purchased this service agreement and how would I know if it was going to break down?" I also told the salesman all my stuff were 5 years old and asked specifically if all my stuff being 5 years old would be covered. He replied, "As long as it isn't in the excluded portion of the agreement, it will be covered." The guy on the phone now was not concerned. He just told me that it wouldn't cover it at all and I said your service is worthless and I wasn't informed of such things, verbally or in written form, and that I wanted my money back since this is worthless to me. He told me to write the headquarters to cancel and I will have a refund, so I did.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information