Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.0/5 (13172 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Cancellation fee
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2013

My last repair request for a leaking/cracked water heater was, of course, DENIED. They don't cover the tank. Well really, what else is there? They say under covered items: water heater which is basically the tank. My water heater repair person said, "Why even bother having a home warranty if they don't cover the tank? All the other companies I worked for (20+ years) cover that!" Another company completely covered my "water heater" in Utah, no questions asked! Another great example of another denied claim, leaking pipes - not their problem. The repair person that time said, "I just can't even charge you for the visit as Choice is just the worst company and they don't cover anything."

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2013

I called for service the first week of August. They sent a tech; I was not present, daughter and son-in-law were. The tech, an older man, said he was legally blind. He looked under the back of the fridge and said it needed a compressor. He also made some remarks that I told the company about, and said not to send him out again. When we returned home, on 15th August, I called the company again. It was a total mess after that, back and forth phone calls, a tech coming out twice, and that was after I told them I was contacting you, which I did. Nothing was fixed from then until now, 14th January.

My refrigerator is still not fixed. We have gone through two more techs, and they are very uncooperative. I have called the company many times and, at one point, they told me to get a tech myself and they would pay up to $100 for them to come out, but, and I can't quite remember what the But was, it had to do with what they found wrong. The last tech that came out said he thought he had fixed it, but he hadn't so I called him and he was supposed to have ordered a Cool Control. This was before Christmas. I have called him twice, and still cannot get a call back, or if the part was ordered or not.

I am totally disgusted with this company. This is the first service call I have made to them after being with them for way over a year. We have a contract, and I pay them each month the amount they require, and this is the way they do business. I do not know exactly what you can do for me. I wrote a few months ago. I can't find the letter on here yet, but I didn't get a reply from you or a call from an attorney which I requested. If you could kindly tell me anything else I need to do, it would be a big help since I want an end to this. I now wonder what would happen if something big breaks down. We are seniors, and count on this company to keep things working for us, so we don't have the extra worry.

I called CHW to have my refrigerator repaired at the beginning of August this year. At first, they refused my request, then after talking with them, they sent a person out. My husband and I were out of town but my daughter and son-in-law were here. According to my children, the man told them he was legally blind. He had a driver with him. He looked at the fridge and said it needed a compressor. He followed my daughter into the house and said he had to see how we lived as the company was going to ask him questions. After he left, I got a call from my daughter and I in turn called the company and complained about this man. After we returned home, CHW sent another tech out. He looked at the problem and said a compressor was needed and he would order one. Then he came back out and decided to repair the problem by soldering the piece of pipe back on to the compressor. He left and it did start to cool, but then thawed out again. I called them back. He came back out, said it was the freezer door, and would order a part. I haven't seen him since!

I have called the company many times and spoke to a supervisor who said he would take care of it but has done nothing. He eventually found another tech to come out and he was supposed to be here today. But instead, I got a call from him saying he would not be out since he got into it with CHW and will no longer work for them. So I called CHW back, spoke to the supervisor and he told me they are out of techs and I should get one and they will reimburse me. But I do not trust them to do that and I should not have to get my own tech to fix this problem. I asked why the second one didn't come back and he said because the fridge was working fine, although he said he was ordering a part for the door, and it was not freezing at all. He knows it isn't working.

We have paid each month for this service. I paid the $45 for the first tech to come out. I have done everything I can to solve this. I have not been rude but did say, "I was contacting you. This is the first service request we have asked this company for since we got them over a year ago." I referred a friend to them. Now, it seems we are left with no coverage if this is any indication of how this company is running their business. We would appreciate any help you can give us with this matter. CHW's phone number is 1-888-531-5403. The supervisor's name is Russ. I am still waiting again for a call from him to let me know if and when the second tech will come back out. I called him at least three hours ago.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2013

This is the worst and useless home protection coverage policy that you could possibly purchase. Please read the fine print. It has a clause for almost every repair that you could need. I called because I had plumbing stoppage and they did cover it because my clean out was on top of the house. I had leak from my air condition. They said they did cover any water leakage in an AC unit. I need repair to my dryer; they didn't cover that because someone else had worked on it before. I have always had home warranty services on my home and have never had any problems with service before. I called to cancel my policy with them. They had the nerve to even charge me a $50 cancellation fee and charged me for the service that the appliance charged them to come out and do nothing.

I had to pay the $45 service fee for each company that came out that did nothing. I had this policy for 8 months. Talking about being screwed? This company cost me over $500. I could have called the companies directly and had all my repairs done for less. So I'm out of over $500.00 and still have to have my repairs done on my own. What a ripoff.

Choice Home Warranty response
    Dear Shirley of Desoto, TX:

Our mission at Choice Home Warranty is to provide property owners with peace of mind by offering a high quality, easy and affordable way to protect their most valuable asset. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and we take all feedback very seriously. Choice Home Warranty provides home warranty service coverage on the systems and appliances listed as ‘INCLUDED’ under the terms of the User Agreement sent to you at purchase. It may also be found on our web site at http://www.choicehomewarranty.com/user_agreement.php .

Please accept our apology for any trouble or inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate the feedback as it gives us the opportunity to improve our services.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

Water heater was actively leaking; I submitted a claim on January 4th online. I emailed them that it was an emergency as the unit was actively leaking. They did a good job in assigning a contractor, but that contract didn't attempt to make contact with me until January 7th; consider I have water leaking in my home. I used towel after towel to dry this up. The contractor came out and stated the unit had to be replaced. They denied the claim saying it wasn't covered because it was to the main storage unit.

The contractor and the plumber I called for a quote to replace both said, “That's essentially the only place it would like, and this is the reason that almost 100% of hot water heaters have to be replaced.” My fault for not being an educated consumer, but I strongly advise anyone considering a Home Warranty to not use Choice. Their contractors are very slow to act, and they have no one you can speak with after hours or handle emergencies. They are cheaper but now I know why. They avoid covering big ticket items. I don't need to find a contractor service; I need insurance and coverage to replace items that break. That is not something Choice will ever handle for you. Again, I stress to call consumers. Buyers beware.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

I called for a repair on my 2-year-old dishwasher, back in August 2012. They sent out Abby Repair. The panel had gone out. The repairman said it could not be repaired. He would turn in that order and said, "You'll get a new one." Well, I thought that was odd that a new dishwasher couldn’t be repaired. They (Choice) sent me a check, and I misplaced it. After looking everywhere and couldn’t find it, I called. The first person hung up on me. The second didn’t know anything. The third said, “No problem. We'll get another check out to you.”

So, I called this morning to see if I could get my check (that I had not received my check - $175.00). The lady (Debbie) said, “Well, I don’t see anything about a check [or that I called]”. She said, “But you are behind 2 payments.” I said, “Yes, I know. I've been waiting on my check.” To make a long story short, I got a supervisor on the line; he’s really a trip, threatening me, “We can cancel your account and not pay you.” He said, “You lost the check, so what? Who’s going to pay $35.00 cancel fee?” I said I would. I lost the check, so he wanted me to pay my 2 payments before he paid me - very rude. I will pay so that I can get my dishwasher fixed. But I will cancel the minute my check clears. I have waited months for the check.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

I purchased the warranty with this company because it was one of the few that told me they would cover septic tank system and all lines. I was discouraged with the warranty I had because of lag time from time of complaint to repair time. Little did I know that Choice Home Warranty was worse. The septic tank backed up on me, and they would only pay $200 to pump the tank and would not honor anything dealing with lines, leach field, or anything except a onetime pumping of the tank. I asked the lady I talked with and wanted to know what would happen if it backed up again next month, and she basically said that it was my problem after they pump it out once.

I turned in the claim on the 17th of December 2012 and finally got a response from them on the 3rd of January 2103. After reading the contract more closely, I found in another section where there is a list of items not covered. This section is separated from the items covered section. I know that I will be doing more research and looking for a better home warranty company.

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 27, 2012

In May 2012, CHW sent out a person to repair my refrigerator. This person looked at my AC unit and said he needed to fix it as well. Two hours after he left, I noticed that the unit was blowing out hot air, which was not happening before the repairman "fixed" it. I called this person and told him what was happening, and he told me I had to call CHW, who advertised they had emergency service. I called them and got a recording stating they were closed. It was Memorial Day weekend, so my son and I (both asthmatics) had to stay in a house with no air in 100 degree weather.

I finally received a call back and was given the runaround for a week, i.e. them asking me to email them things and denying they received them twice, and not calling me back when they said they would to let me know the status of my claim. When I called them to see if they received everything, I was told that they "thought someone had called me back to let me know my claim had already been denied." CHW's customer service is awful! I can't wait to cancel my policy when it expires. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Dec. 25, 2012

I signed up to cover all our home appliances. Everything was new when we built 7 years ago and the salesman from CHW assured me that if they could not fix an appliance that they would replace it with a comparable model. New appliances don't last the 25+ years like they did 40 years ago. So when our 7 year old Amana range oven control went out, I called CHW. The repairman came out and ultimately the part was unavailable and discontinued. CHW refused to replace the $2,200.00 slide-in glass top range because it was "beyond their control" (see paragraph such and such) and sent me a check for a grand total of $150.00, the cost of the part had it been available.

When our basement refrigerator went out, we found that CHW now had a new service contractor also from 50 miles away. He came out and said that he did not work with a closed system in compressors because they were quite problematic once they were opened. Away he left with the $45.00 service call fee, and we still have a broken refrigerator in the basement. CHW said (no sign of it yet) that they would refund the fee but they would not fix the compressor on the refrigerator. Please do not give CHW a dime. You will be sorry.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Dec. 20, 2012

I currently had warranty with Long and Foster and switch over because the price was cheaper. I would not suggest this company to anyone, not even my worst enemy, for the reason I called to file a claim and the Alex over the phone told me my coverage doesn't start till next month. I told them to cancel it. They refunded only half the money and when I called, the first person hung up on me and the second person told me there is nothing to be done and my policy is canceled. Just a big headache. Stay away.

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 15, 2012

On 7-23-12, I entered into a contract with CWH for two of my homes in Texas. 35-37 days later, my A/C at my residence was blowing cool, not cold air. I thought lucky me! I contacted CWH, and they sent service man within 3 days. Service man indicated compressor beginning to by-pass. He suggested new compressor. CWH refused and indicated I was fraudulent, and service man said I told him "I knew unit was bad." I got service man on phone to respond to CWH claim. He said they usually never pay for anything, and he only told them the A/C problem. He indicated he had to cycle the unit several times for it to duplicate the process. To shorten this story, I was yelled to by CWH, lied to by CWH, and deceived by CWH. My credit card fraud department finally, 120 days later, was able to reverse the charges and place funds back in my account. I did use the A/C contractor to replace my entire system as I did find him to be honest and trustworthy.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

This company never properly honors your service contracts with them. They also send construction companies to evaluate refrigerators and appliance repair companies vs a plumber to check a hot water heater! Then as numerous others have already reported, they deny everything yet they collect your monthly payments with no problem - even after you cancel your policy with them. They are a total bait and switch operation, and should be shut down. Their service contractors even share with you how they don't pay them (as contracted to) for going out of these service calls and routinely deny claims. Stop this company now. Total fraud.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

The worst of the worst home warranty company. Period. I had a claim in late October of 2012. It was the time that Hurricane Sandy was landing on the east coast and it was no communication with the CHW, except through their website. You can place a claim, a technician comes over and you pay $45 - which is okay until they have to pay for replacement of any part or unit. My problem was the heating pump for my heating system - it seized (it wasn't blowing hot air). That was the technician's call but in order to change the pump, he wanted it to be installed on the new pipe that is not leaking (mine was leaking). Then he made me make another claim to have a plumber to come over because he was not licensed to change the pipe, which was part of the heating system.

The plumber came over with another $45 to tell me that the water heater was the wrong size. Somebody installed a smaller size heater, which I had no clue at all. I bought this condo 9 years ago and all these years it was working just fine. One week later, no call from anybody so I called CHW. They had their lines open already and this is exactly what I got from them, "Your pump has seized because undersized water heater was installed (**) and we won't cover that. We are not going to change the pump. We are not going to change the pipe and we are not going to change the water heater." My response to that was, "How do I know about the water heater when you guys didn't send a technician to check what's right and what's wrong before you took my money? How could a pump seize because of undersized water heater and pipe will be leaking because of that **?"

This is my second claim for the last two years (first was the AC unit - we had to share the bill) with them and they never cover anything. They always come up with stupid explanation about how things work and why they failed that only kids could believe it. They are trying to make you look stupid. I'm an automotive technician and I have a degree in building and architectures too, so I have a little bit of knowledge of how things work and how they fail. The only reason I had a home warranty was I don't have time to do all these repairs, but I guess I need more time dealing with company like CHW than actually do a repair myself. I would never use them again and I won't recommend them, even to my worst enemy too! Thanks for reading. I hope you to be smarter than me!

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 10, 2012

I really want to give negative 5 star. Unfortunately the choice is not there. I have total plan coverage for my house. The sales guy who talked me into buying this plan assured me that everything would be covered.

When my dishwasher was broken, the technician they sent told me he did not have repair parts in his truck since his truck was not big enough. Then the warranty company informed me the next day the claim was denied since the technician told them the top basket dropped and caused the damage to the spray arm. But it was a lie. The top basket did not drop at all. So, I requested a second opinion, although it was the same issue. They wanted me to pay another $45 co-pay if the same issue. I have never heard about this before. When the second guy came, they lied to the company again. He said the spray arm broke due to someone pulling out of the low basket. The company and the technician only have one purpose - to deny all repair claims. They try different ways to deny coverage.

As a real estate agent, I have never experienced such a dirty company. Please stay away from this company as far as possible.

No response received
    Original review: Dec. 7, 2012

I requested CHW to come to my home today to address why my condenser unit would not power up when it came on inside of house. It was determined by the tech that the prior tech, that CHW sent out summer 2011, had made a mistake when servicing the unit at that time resulting in why the condenser will not turn on. However, CHW will not honor the previous tech's mistake because as the supervisor so very happily pointed out to me in Paragraph 19 of my contract that CHW is not liable for any breaks or mistakes during any repairs caused by one of their vendors. Therefore, I am now liable for all repairs and costs!

I told the supervisor that I have made my monthly payment every single month for over three years now and in return, I trust that CHW will send out reputable and qualified vendors/technicians so that their customers would not have to worry about Paragraph 19. He said, "I'm sorry you feel that way." I am cancelling my contract immediately and will tell everyone I know to never do business with CHW. Complete bait and switch company.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Dec. 4, 2012

We have stopped providing service on behalf of CHW. We work in the metro DC area. They have some serious issues in their billing and authorization departments, which have caused us to lose money on multiple occasions. We refuse to work for them anymore. We wish all homeowners the best of luck in dealing with them. Contractors won’t call you back because it is CHW and they don’t get paid.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

They denied coverage on our oven due to the fact "it was an ongoing problem." I contacted the technician and he told me there was no way anyone can pinpoint when the problem started because the 'memory board', CHW said, dated back before we had their warranty. They were rude on the phone and acted as though they were reading from a script and couldn't accurately answer most questions. I went with them because they were cheaper and offered a less service call amount. You do get what you pay for! Stay away from them. Do not use!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

I called on a Saturday because my air condition unit had stopped working in my rental property and the tenants have a sick kid. Choice told me that I had to pay for the service and that I would be reimbursed so I paid. And when I requested by reimbursement, they purposely cancelled my account and did not send me any money. First, they told me my account was past due. I sent them the copy from the bank showing where I had paid them, and my account should not have been past due. So, then they said okay, we will send out the check of $115 and you will get it in 30 to 45 days. I never got anything and when I called, I was told that they were not paying me anything per the manager.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

I am feeling so regretful of signing up with Choice Home Warranty. My first experience was in calling them on a Saturday because our water heater needed immediate attention. The rep gave me a contact number immediately for a plumber. I called him, he came and called for authorization to do the repair but no one was available to give it. He asked why I chose Choice because they are the worst! He invoiced us and we have yet to be reimbursed, telling us he should not have done the repair without authorization. Then, my second claim was for an electrician. The electrician did not call back when I identified I was referred by Choice. The second company informed me that they no longer work with Choice. I called to inform Choice what they said and they told me they do not know what to do. It has been a week since the problem began.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2012

Warning realtors, contractors and homeowners! I was ripped off by this company and was just told by a manager "Sue me if you want." This company recruited me 1 year ago to be a repair contractor. Throughout this entire time, I had zero complaints; however, I had three invoices to CHW (Choice Home Warranty) that they shorted me $40 to $60 and told me to write it off as a misunderstanding. I did. Then they wanted to drastically change the pay structure which I could not comply. Therefore, I did refuse work until one day, their rep called me and was in a desperate situation and pleaded with me to help.

We discussed and agreed that I would do the job for them. I was given an auth # to bill them. I was never paid and now 3 months later, 15 calls and voice mails later, I finally spoke to someone and I was told they will hold my last check for up to 1 year per the contract fine print, because I ended our relationship (although they changed our contract which voided our old one). Then said I could sue him over it if I don't like it. He is not paying me even though there were zero issues with my work, parts, or service! I spent over $150 on parts alone on this job! This company cannot last. Don't invest in them!

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

In May, I notified Choice Home Warranty of 2 repair issues. For the first one, I called in a problem due to violent vibration on my Maytag Neptune washer. I paid the $45 fee to the technician when he arrived. The technician inspected the machine and stated that he had to order new feet for the machine. I called in early July and was told the parts would be in soon. The last few calls to the technician's company went to voicemail with no return status. Three months after the technician was first out to check on the Maytag, I contacted the warranty company and was told that I would be contacted by the technician within a week. After another month, I contacted the warranty company again and was told that if I cancelled the service request, I would be paid $108 and could have the work done by whomever I chose.

Immediately after the call (this was in September), I ordered the parts online and within a few days, they arrived and again installed them myself. The problem with the washer still isn't fixed and I am not going to spend another $45 for an inept technician to come out and have to wait many more months for the machine to stay broken. On the second service request, my home air conditioner went out over the Memorial Day weekend. When the technician came out, he found that I had a bad breaker in my electrical panel. Again, a $45 fee was paid to the technician. He did not have a replacement breaker on his truck so he left. I went to the local hardware store, bought and replaced the breaker. Had I not replaced the breaker myself, I would have had to pay another service charge to a local electrician for this work. I would recommend doing your homework before purchasing the Choice Home Warranty Service.

No response received
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2012

I called because my furnace was leaking water. There is a bath towel full of water soaked every few hours. We are in the house 2-1/2 years and had a professional home inspection before closing on the mortgage. They claim that we did not provide evidence of maintenance so we are, therefore, denied. I feel they are using an excuse so as not to replace the furnace. There was never a problem and we had a reliable inspection company, no problems with the heat at all, no leak, etc. This is bad practice and they should honor the warranty and replace the furnace. This is my first dealing with this company. We have had other home warranty companies and never had this happen.

No response received
    Original review: Nov. 12, 2012

Worst home warranty ever - I filed a claim for my A/C unit during August 2012. They sent some guy out who said he would order a part. Almost 2 weeks later, I called Choice and requested that someone else be sent to my house. That company was great and they charged my unit. They explained that they needed to contact Choice for approval for the work that needed to be done. Choice denied my claim and offered to send someone to my house that could do the work and they would charge me less than I could get if I found my own vendor.

The company they chose did not want to come to my house just for a quote. I advised Choice that the company was rude and I did not want to do business with them anymore. The manager told me he would have someone contact me about my A/C unit. I haven't heard anything from them and it’s been 2 months. So, I called them today and cancelled. Now, I am canceling because of this whole debacle with the A/C, the fact that they aren't open for customer service 24/7, the extremely poor customer service, the long wait times, and my biased experience with them. A guy called me back and told me that they would cancel immediately. He asked me why and he said that they fulfilled my claims. I told him that my A/C claim was just the beginning but that wasn't the only reason. I told him that I was not satisfied with this company. Again, he said they will cancel immediately.

A few minutes later, he called back and just started talking. He said he would cancel once I authorize them to deduct $165, which I supposed was the remainder of my contract balance. I refused and advised that I would be contacting my bank to file a claim regarding the charge that was already there should they opt not to remove it. Now, my contract with Choice didn't even say that I had to pay it off. So, who was this employee to implement a change that was not even in my contract? Not only that, but also the employee kept saying, "Are you kidding me?" like I was playing games with him.

Terrible company to do business with. I will say that my claim for my garbage disposal was good. I must say though that I feel like that's the case because garbage disposals cost less than A/C units to replace or repair. I had a great experience with American Homeshield and I am going back.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2012

Please be very cautious when purchasing a warranty from Choice Home Warranty. Our AC went out and we called and they gave us a name of their technician. So we called and his phone said not taking calls at this time. We called back and were told to wait till end of day to try. We called at end of day and his phone said same thing. We called Choice and they said get someone and call with what's wrong - we did. As our tech was talking to their Claims, after a 45-minute wait, they hung up on our tech. My wife called back, and after another 45 minutes, the supervisors said they won't cover that and hung up on her. Be very careful. We cancelled and will file complaint.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Oct. 30, 2012

I called Choice on 9-28-12 with an emergency situation (AC went out and had a heart/COPD 67 year old senior) in a home where the temps in house were 85-88 with no air. They failed to dispatch an AC company tech and stated I could get my own and then to submit a reimbursement form. I was told to have the tech call and explain finds, which I did. The AC company stated the air compressor was not functioning and quoted a price of $2,100 installed.

I was told to complete a Choice reimbursement form and submit to Choice, which I did. I called Choice to find out the status. I was told I needed to submit my AC maintenance forms which I did going back to 2009. After numerous days waiting with no AC, the patient was getting worse health wise. I called and received no action from Choice. I was forced to repair the situation and then deal with Choice for follow-up. I spoke with Russ, who told me the claim was in process. I called back days later and Russ's supervisor started auctioning me for a lower value - an insult of $650.

The check was to be mailed 10-26 latest, well in advance of the storm Irene. Now, the offices are closed and as of this date (10-30-12), no check was received. Since I followed all conditional requirements of Choice and had a valid policy for appliances, I want to be reimbursed for the full $2,100 ASAP! Thanks for handling this claim.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

Service Contractor for CHW, Metairie, LA - My company recently started taking work from CHW, and we are not very satisfied so I wanted to read some other reviews. I have something that I just must make clear to policy holders. I want people to know that it is not the technician's fault when things aren't covered by CHW. When we go out to a call, we are pre-approved for $100 ($45 from customer/$55 from CHW). However, it is extremely rare that we go on a call that will only cost $100. We are not on CHW's side; we are just fair and honestly trying to help people out.

It is very difficult for CHW to "approve" any service as they always ask us, "well, is this the homeowner's fault" and 9/10 times, we tell them no, even if it is. Most of us will try to help the homeowner out as best as we can. We would rather see our neighbors win than big companies like CHW take people's money. Please do not blame us if things don't work out. We are already taking a huge cut by just receiving $45. We are not going to be working with CHW much longer, and I truly wish all the policy holders good luck.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

We used American Home Shield for over seven years, and due to their increase in the price of their yearly service, we chose to use Choice Home Warranty. Big mistake! This company deceives their patrons with low yearly cost or a low monthly payment plan. I brought the warranty only to face more charges when service was needed. We have placed two claims on this year: one for an air conditioner and one for our dishwasher. The claim for the air conditioner was filed and left waiting for a responds for several - I repeat, several weeks. This was the hottest climate in our area in the last ten years and the company never followed back up with us once we filed the claim and we repeatedly call their call center just to be placed on hold, get disconnected, or just get avoided after the customer service representative realized that their company dropped the ball on the claim.

Finally, after getting uncivil with the company, they finally offered a manager who stated the contractor never filed the appropriate paper work to get the claim approved. They gave me the option to find another contractor, but they would have to approve the contractor of my choice. To make a long story short on this matter, I got a new contractor and Choice Home Warranty only paid a small, small portion for the repair - the rest came out of our pocket. We filed a claim for our dishwasher that would cost close to $800 to replace. They offered to reimburse us about $200 toward the replacement cost. You might think you are saving. Do your homework and also believe the reports about this company. I would not use them.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2012

I had a new water heater put in, and then I called Choice Home Warranty - wrong thing to do. They only cover parts on a Hot water heater. The heater was 10 years old and making popcorn noises. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. To say the least, I did not get reimbursed, and how would you replace parts on a 10-year-old water heater? The warranty came with the house, and I feel sorry for the sellers and us who thought we were covered. Wrong.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 18, 2012

Choice Home Warranty denied 2 claims in one year. Two days ago my water heater burst, flooding my kitchen and living room. My claim was denied and I had to call to find that out. No one in the company even bothered to call and inform me. This is the second claim that has been denied this year. The other claim is for my air conditioning unit. They have loopholes in their contract that allow them to deny your claim for things such as rust or age. So now, I am out the $32 a month for the warranty, the $45 claim payment and I'm back at square one, needing my water heater replaced.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2012

They would not cover my plumbing problem. I paid for 2 months of service, and they said that the claim was pre-existing because I called about it 3 weeks after they took the first payment out of my checking account. I was not told that they take your money for the first month, but you’re not covered for that month, which I think is wrong to take someone’s money and not give them service.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2012

I have had horrible experiences with Choice Home Warranty - they had me chase them for 9 months to get payment then said my case was closed and refused to reimburse me. They had me fill out a form and I got authorization in February and after 10 calls, emails and faxes of all documents (about 3 hours all told with getting shuttled around to various departments), I was told the case was closed and they were not going to reimburse me a penny. One customer service rep put me on hold for 22 minutes until I got tired and hung up and had to redial and start over.

I called in March to get our dishwasher repaired, they emailed me a form and I called to get authorization; the form stated anything over $100 you need to call for authorization. I spoke to Richard, made meticulous notes and had the repair done in April. Then the fun began; I faxed the forms and paid invoice on 4/23 with no reply, called and emailed 5/9 and they said they would pay.

6/26 they said they never got the fax so I resent then 8/8 said they never got the fax so I resent and got a number to call so I could follow up the next day to ensure they got it. They said they did but the case was closed! I called again 8/13 at 10:10am and they said the case was closed immediately (seemed to be a training technique at their company to try to get people off the phone). I pushed and asked them to look further. They then said it would be processed and mailed in 2 weeks - an expedited payment of $100. I told them the claim was $396 and they said I had not gotten proper authorization.

I reviewed the notes from my conversation with Richard of 2/27 and they said I did not get proper authorization even when I told them I asked Richard if there was anything further that needed to be done and he said I was set. Then they said the claim was denied. It seems they simply keep on a track until a customer just gives up. The customer service rep was rude and transferred me to tech support who then sent me back to customer service and her line just rang for 25 min and put me back on hold for 29 minutes before I hung up without being able to get her name.

I called again that afternoon and got John who was a manager who basically told me the case was closed. After I spent 15 min explaining the story again (for the 5th time), he said he would send me $100 only as the minimum. I told him I was quite unhappy and was going to complain (but figured I'd wait until I got my $100 check before starting a case as I still did not trust them to send me the check). 10/15 I called to ask about my check and the rep said the notes said I did not want the check and the case is closed - no way to reopen it. This has to be illegal, certainly unethical and now it's more about the principle since I was changing warranty companies anyway and would have worked with my new one who always pays my claims (well the 2 I've had since I started with them) cheerfully and promptly!

First American is my current company and they are amazing - completely changed my mind about home warranty companies, night and day, from the worst company with the worst customer service and ethics to one that stands behind its word!

Choice Home Warranty Company Information