Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.0/5 (12786 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Cancellation fee
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Top Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I was pleased with the service and repair getting completed so quickly. I was also very satisfied with the electrician. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He wore a mask without...

Verified

Service was quick and he fixed the problem immediately. He was polite and nice. I would recommend him to anyone. Our deductible covered the part and labor. We were very pleased wi...

Choice Home Warranty coverage

Choice Home Warranty covers all major home systems and appliances. In addition to the items covered in the Basic and Total plans, other items are available to add to your coverage plan. Coverage usually begins 30 days after enrollment, and policies typically last one year.

Basic Plan
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Total Plan
    The Total Plan covers 18 of the biggest home systems and appliances, including your air conditioning system, refrigerator, and clothes washer and dryer, which are not part of Basic Plan coverage. Covered items include the following:
    • Air conditioning system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Optional coverage
    After choosing the Basic or Total plan, customers can choose to add any or all of the following optional coverages:
    • Pool and spa
    • Second refrigerator
    • Septic tank pumping
    • Standalone freezer

Choice Home Warranty cost

Choice Home Warranty prices range anywhere from $30 to $55 per month.

Most plans from Choice Home Warranty have a flat $85 trade service call fee per claim. You pay this fee to the service provider who comes to your home. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit, the customer is responsible for paying the difference.

Choice Home Warranty exclusions

Choice Home Warranty plans cover all components and parts of certain appliances, such as washers, dryers and garbage disposals. Other appliances and all systems have coverage exclusions. It’s important to read the service agreement thoroughly so you understand the terms before you sign up.

For example, water heaters are covered in Choice Home Warranty’s sample contract, but holding or storage tanks, vents and flues are listed as excluded. This means that if your water heater breaks because of a problem with the storage tank, it won’t be covered.

Keep in mind that Choice Home Warranty also won’t cover any preexisting conditions, whether known or unknown. Misuse, abuse or failure to maintain a system or appliance is another reason a claim can get denied. Ultimately, it’s up to the company whether a covered system or appliance is replaced or repaired.

Choice Home Warranty FAQ

What are Choice Home Warranty’s coverage limits?
    Generally, Choice Home Warranty won’t pay out more than $3,000 per contract item. The company will pay up to $500 to provide access to covered items through walls, ceilings or floors and return the opening to “rough finish” condition.
    How do I file a claim with Choice Home Warranty?
    Customers follow these steps to request a service from Choice Home Warranty:
    1. Call or log in to the online account center to request service as soon as you notice a problem. You can make a claim online or call 24/7.
    2. Choice Home Warranty will then contact one of its authorized contractors to set up service. It will let you know the contractor’s name and phone number and the appointment time — usually within 48 hours.
    3. The contractor arrives for the appointment and repairs or replaces the system or appliance. You pay the service call fee of $85.
    Does Choice Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from Choice Home Warranty.
    What can I do if my claim is denied?
    If your claim is denied for any reason, you can ask for Choice Home Warranty to review its decision. The company may ask for maintenance records as part of this review. Choice Home Warranty may deny a claim if the problem is determined to be a preexisting condition or the result of misuse, abuse, neglect or failure to maintain the appliance or system according to the manufacturer’s directions.
    Can I cancel a Choice Home Warranty plan?
    Yes, you can cancel your Choice Home Warranty service within the first 30 days of your initial order for a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund; an administrative fee of up to $50 is assessed.
    Where is Choice Home Warranty available?
    Choice Home Warranty is available in all states except for California and Washington.

Is Choice Home Warranty any good?

Overall, we think the company is worth considering if you decide you want a home warranty. Choice Home Warranty has comparably lower starting costs for plans than some other companies. It also offers occasional specials, like providing the first month of coverage at no charge. Most verified complaints appear to be about claims disputes, which is common with most warranty companies.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Mike was the one who diagnosed my hot water heater issue. He also pointed out certain issues to be aware of while in my laundry room such as adding some support braces for the pipes to the ceilings as well as pointing out a possible kink in the gas line hose connector to my dryer that Lowes did a couple of years back when replacing it w/ the one I bought from them.

He pointed out & warned me to replace or cover the gas boiler metal box that attaches to the flume that takes away the carbon monoxide since there was an apparent drip from one of the pipes above it. It is quite rusted & corroded to the point that any nonsignificant pressure could rupture & open up any time opening which would be dangerous. He mentioned it's likely such a small leak that it is a drip here & there perhaps during the winter time when the boiler is on, but it adds up over the years. He highly recommended I place another Carbon Monoxide detector in that room even though I had one at the basement stairway 1/2 way to the ground floor.

Mike discussed getting a water heater w/ me that met the exact specs of the one I had which was a gas 40 gallon 40k BTU model w/ a 12 year warranty. He made sure to replace the one w/ the same exact specs & also recommend the A. O. Smith water heater which was American made & top notch quality for residential water heaters which one of the local Lowes carried so no wait for delivery. He was adamant about replacing like for like since he didn't want to replace it w/ one that only had a 6 year warranty as mine was 12 years. Of course the warranty had just expired the year before.

Jose was the actual heating specialist who replaced my corroded, leaking water heater tank w/ the new one. He went way above & beyond just replacing it while also cleaning up after himself. He was patient w/ my questions regarding many of the steps, tools, & parts that he was using. He double/tripled checked for gas leaks not just from the water heater, but also from my nearby gas boiler & dryer. He did provide & wrapped a support strap for some of the overhead pipes to prevent potential rattling from incoming cold water pressure into the water heater.

He particularly helped me checked the various drain pipes that had backed up in my basement bathroom which was in an adjacent room to the laundry/boiler/water heater room. He helped me finally determine the different pipe(s) that connected to the bathroom sink which would back up just in the past week or so every time we ran the kitchen sink or dishwasher from the floor just above it. It was happening around the time the hot water heater broke down so wasn't sure if because we were turning on/off the main to slow down the water heater leak & then washing down the little bits that we were toweling off from the floor that it was or wasn't the root or main cause for the backup we were experiencing.

He helped me flush out the water from the laundry sink which fed directly to the main line towards the front of the house & we watched it flow more smoothly at the main drain line there. He helped me determine that bathroom standing shower connected to the toilet adjacent to it which also connected to the laundry room sink that he flushed & noticed no backward flow so knew that there were no issues w/ those drain pipes.

We then totally focused on the bathroom drain pipe which somehow did not connect to the standing bathroom drain pipe even though we saw the pipe running into & alongside it which I had assumed as I was snaking it that it would eventually go through that very same standing shower drain pipe but did not. He was able to snake out as much as he could the gunk build up. He was about to help me replace my bathroom faucet line, but unfortunately, he discovered the small crack in the sink so there was no point.

I now know that I should get a longer electric snake from Home Depot & clear out more gunk since his only was able to go 8 feet as he swapped out his 80' electric roto rooter type snake to fit the water heater into his van. I am way more confident about the flow & condition of my drain pipes in the basements towards the front water main access that leads to the street sewers. I will also be replacing the entire vanity & sink along w/ a new faucet, supply lines & couplings to the drain pipe. He showed me the steps including putting the small pieces of the faucet together when I'm ready to install the new sink. If I have any issues I am more than sure they will be able to advise &/or come & help. Again top notch from both Mike & Jose & can't recommend them enough!!!!

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 17, 2021

The first 2 dispatched were the worst-I wanted my money back- the most unprofessional, untruthful I’ve ever dealt with. No verification of appointment except from email from Choice. A 5 hr window on the day of their choice (which the Ritchie Brothers admitted they give till 8 bc of Choice but stop before 6). No warning or estimate of coming but a call supposedly in their way. And a ten minute time limit to return call before they canceled. The next appointment set up was a no show no call until I contacted Choice myself. It was then while on phone w/ Choice's resolution did I receive a text. And then lied about amount of warning (my phone puts time of VM & text) etc. The next one assigned also made no contact, just a email from Choice. And he too was a complete no show no call or text. They both make Choice Warranty look bad in their choices of who represent Choice.

Pro Comfort were wonderful. Professionalism at its best. Call to verify appointment, called to give estimate time of arrival. They understand that the people they service have jobs as well. Excellent! Only thing was I was told the 75 service fee would be paid by Choice bc of me missing work to accommodate the first 2 technician. I would recommend Pro Heat & Cooling as excellent & recommend to everyone!! I intend to have them do my seasonal check of heat & air. But as far as recommending I’m still unsure. I’m not sure if the reviews I based my decision on were selective. I’ve had home warranty for many years. And was satisfied. The saying you “you get what you pay for” might be the case with Choice. We will see if the customer service gets better. By the way, Resolution Manager Joshua was excellent & gave me his extension but on your automatic system- it would say “transfer failed” & immediately hang up. All 5 times!

Vicci

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been with Choice home warranty for over 2 yrs now before I had Home shield. It came with my house when we bought it. I would never recommend that company to anyone. It was a joke. I had A $75.00 pay out. First thing that went out 15 days after we bought the house was the ac system. They sent out a technician in his 70s. He said the system was low on r11. I've work on car ac systems for a while now and I asked if he was going to do a leak test. His response was, "No. They lose Freon." Well not if there's no leak they don't. He charged me $110.00 to fill it. It lasted a week. Another call to them they sent out a different technician. He tested it and said my a-coil was bad and I'd have to pay $1500.00. Well they bought out my ac for $800. Had it fixed for $200. All it was is they didn't seal the lock outs.

Choice has never given me a problem on repairs. They even let me use my own service people if they can't get one out and reimbursed me for it. I'll stay with choice. I've only used them for a couple plumbing problems and electrical plugs and a couple ceiling fans but no problem. I carry the Platinum plan. I'd tell every one to get it. My electric box rusted out and it wasn't covered but they gave me some money on it to help cover the cost of replacement. If you take pics and show them what is really wrong they will work with you. I'm very pleased with this company. I'll be a life long customer. They're not like a lot of these rip you off places. They stand behind what they say and guarantee you get the best. I'm old school. If I find a technician I like I stick with them. So far I have a ac and heat, electrical and plumbing. Next to find is a good appliance technician. You get your money's worth with choice home warranty.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Choice Home Warranty has not backed down from their obligation to me. We had a bump in the road when my refrigerator went out and the money they provided for it was enough to help me upgrade my refrigerator. I was curious to see how other home warranty plans worked so I took out a second home warranty plan out and waited to see what might happen. Then my toilet seal broke and I had water running out of the bottom of the toilet. I thought “here is my chance to see what another warranty company would do. I called this other company and they sent a guy out. He looked at my toilet, then went into my crawl space. His news was grim. He said a piece of pipe needed replaced in my crawl. I asked how much it would cost. He gave me the price of $1,050. I was shocked. The other company denied the claim saying it was outside the living space. Not the house, but the living space.

I called Choice at this point, hoping for a better outcome. The plumber was very clean and friendly. I explained what happened with the other company. He pulled my toilet and replaced the wax ring, which solved the problem. Then I asked him for his opinion on the pipes in the crawl. He went into the crawl and came back to tell me that the pipe was fine. It just needed a couple of brackets to hold the pipe up and explained to my roommate how to do it.

The other company cost $60 co-pay and the 6 months I paid for 2 services but was a well earned training tool for me. I had been upset with Choice over my refrigerator but see they were being fair. The person over my choice account on my refrigerator had put me off but this last issue showed me that they were honest and fair. I won’t be leaving Choice Home warranty now. This experience was an eye opener and was well worth the money I spent to compare to another company. I have had three different companies as a home warranty and from the three, Choice home warranty is the best for the money and the companies they send are reliable and honest. Thank you Choice!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I want you to know I have retired recently and been shopping for a home warranty! I was lucky enough to receive a telephone promotion phone call. When I was referred to Francis ** in the sales department, I finally got exactly what I expected from Choice Home Warranty! Your advertisements and consistent emails proved to me that you would be just as likely to serve me as completely! This employee Francis, absolutely did deliver! I made a point of telling him so oh, and also that he made my day!

My first Contact was with Tanya from the call center and on this initial phone call I spoke to a salesperson that provoked me to the point where I dismissed him by hanging up on him!! I called back, ask for management and was put on a waiting queue. I waited a short time and then call back directly to the sales Center, because I went to your website which was very complete and gave me instant and direct contact with Francis. The nature of the professional attitude that Francis delivered immediately made it worth calling back! He made sure I understood that what I had experienced with the previous salesman was unacceptable and that he would definitely make it right! Then much to my surprise I got to experience the different levels such as VIP. I did not know there was even an extended warranty available oh, and the telephone promotion price was so good that I wound up purchasing a 6 year plan!

I would never have known about any of this had I not been inclined to listen to the salesperson I finally did get a hold of. His method of explanation was concise and easy to understand. His great attitude was a relief, and also exactly what I would expect of Choice Home Warranty, which is the reason I responded in the very first place. Six months of shopping through different home warranty companies made my choice easy thanks to the promotion call, and the subsequent follow-up by Superior sales person who showed me the value of my purchase of a home warranty policy!!

Feels good going into the new year fully covered for my most recent efforts at home improvement, including all brand-new appliances, 2 new bathrooms and all Electric and Plumbing.! Again having recently retired and going on to fixed-income makes this an even more valuable policy! I absolutely plan on discussing my purchase with my friends and family and encouraging them to do the same! It just makes great and good sense! Thank you very much!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I have been with CHW for a couple of years now. They are prompt when you have minor repairs, and you do not want the hassle of finding a repair person by yourself. I remember an uncomplicated oven thermostat repair, and on another recent occasion the ignition for the AC, both repaired by the technician who came out on the same day.

But God forbid you to have a major appliance repair, you will go through so much hassle and in the end really not get your money's worth. Over the last 3 years, I had several repairs: I had my clothes washer main electric board break down - that was not covered, because it was determined the damage happened was due to a power surge [which is apparently excluded somewhere in the small print]. Then my Frigidaire dishwasher started to leak, and it was felt repair was too expensive, so I got paid out a couple of hundreds of dollars, I do not remember the exact amount, but it only covered the faction of the cost of a new dishwasher.

The incident that finally will make me break up with CHW was the following: I have a build-in Subzero fridge/freezer unit that came with the house. As I realize now, this was apparently one of the most valuable possessions I owned. It was about 20 years old and then developed a leak. The very nice technician came out, determined what was the cause, and send his assessment to CHW. They told me that it was not worth repairing it and if I would accept a payout of $700 in the form of a LOWE'S e gift card. I said no, because a new build fridge freezer unit, at that weird size of 30 inches [that was the size that I needed to fit back into the space in my small alley kitchen], costs $8000 and up, and you can't get that at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, because these are deemed designer appliances.

So I got on a call with the case manager, explained the situation, that I rather have it repaired, even if I would have to pay the price difference between the $700 and the actual repair cost, but to no avail. I did explain that I would happily buy a standard fridge if it would fit in my space, but they don't. Ultimately I negotiated that I would get $1000. And I had explained to the case manager, that I will need to get that new fridge at a special appliance store, only to get 4 weeks later [which is a rather long time in my opinion] the email link to the LOWE'S e-coupon! I was really maddened, send a message again, but was told that I had to accept the Lowe's coupon.

I had made the decision in the meantime, to buy a fridge only unit for the kitchen [I went with the cheapest unit, which was a BOSCH, and it still cost me $8800] and place a separate freezer into the basement. So I thought, well I can use the LOWE'S e-coupon for the freezer. So I went to Lowe's and Home Depot, only to learn that they are back-ordered or out of most fridge freezer models because they were all bought up in the pandemic. The earliest delivery would have been 6 months from now! Interestingly on WALMART and other appliance stores, there was not such a problem.

So what am I supposed to do with that LOWE'S e-coupon, didn't CHW check the availability of these appliances on their e gift card supplier? I complained to CHW online, no response. And I did check my insurance policy -there is no mention that payouts will be granted in form of an E-coupon of a supplier of CHW choice. Probably they get an additional kickback for confining their customers to LOWE'S.

I think these are very unsound business practices, for sure not helpful for a customer like me, who really just needed to have fridge repaired, and now I am stuck paying off my $8000 fridge [plus I had to pay for installation] and my new freezer. The small freezer unit I ultimately bought on AMAZON. And I have a useless $1000 e-coupon from Lowe's sitting on my desk at home. So I made the calculation in my head, that all my appliances are new at this point, and if anything were to break down, I rather find a reliable and personable appliance repair service, that I will use from now on. And for my AC and heater/plumbing system, I bought excellent rated coverage with our local Gas and Electric company.

Choice Home Warranty response
      We regret to hear that you do not feel secure with our company. Choice Home Warranty can assure you that you have our policy for all of the right reasons.

We strive to provide the best customer experience; therefore, we regret to hear that you were not satisfied with the services we provided. We are making every effort to enhance the customer experience; therefore, we have submitted your feedback and concerns to the Director of Customer Relations.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

The tech was very knowledgeable and knew what he was doing, we are extremely pleased! Hopefully I won’t have any more problems but if I should I would be very pleased to have this company take care of the problem!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

I requested two appliances to be repaired. Finally, we got a repairman came for a appt. He checked over both appliances and said he didn't know if we should get paid for them or fix them. Our preference would be to get them fixed. I have heard nothing as of yet.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Once a vendor would take the job all went well. Your first vendors were multiple no show. The people that showed up were good. They were thorough and made certain all was good. My son lives there and is disabled.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

Year 2020 my larger unit broke over a period when the heat was unbearable. I made numerous attempts to contact CHW. Eventually when I reached them they could not attend to my needs. They claim they were too busy and gave me the go ahead to contact a AC Company to come out and check the unit. The unit was broken and I emailed the invoice to CHW. I waited 2 days later and made a decision to replace the irreparable unit. CHW dropped the ball on me. I paid $7500.00 for the new unit. About a week ago I advised CHW my 2nd unit was not working. They sent out an Agent couple days later and was advised the unit was leaking Freon. CHW again denied my claim. It is now apparent to me that this company is a SCAM. If they are not then they should agree to compensate me for a portion of the bill.

Choice Home Warranty response
      We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with the determination of your claim. We are committed to providing a positive customer experience and we take all feedback very seriously.

Choice Home Warranty provides home warranty service coverage on the systems and appliances listed as ‘INCLUDED’ under the terms of the User Agreement. We encourage all of our customers to review their coverage.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information