2. Homeowners

4.0/5 (13175 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Cancellation fee
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Top Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I was pleased with the service and repair getting completed so quickly. I was also very satisfied with the electrician. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He wore a mask without...

Verified

Service was quick and he fixed the problem immediately. He was polite and nice. I would recommend him to anyone. Our deductible covered the part and labor. We were very pleased wi...

Choice Home Warranty coverage

Choice Home Warranty covers all major home systems and appliances. In addition to the items covered in the Basic and Total plans, other items are available to add to your coverage plan. Coverage usually begins 30 days after enrollment, and policies typically last one year.

Basic Plan
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Total Plan
    The Total Plan covers 18 of the biggest home systems and appliances, including your air conditioning system, refrigerator, and clothes washer and dryer, which are not part of Basic Plan coverage. Covered items include the following:
    • Air conditioning system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Optional coverage
    After choosing the Basic or Total plan, customers can choose to add any or all of the following optional coverages:
    • Pool and spa
    • Second refrigerator
    • Septic tank pumping
    • Standalone freezer

Choice Home Warranty cost

Choice Home Warranty prices range anywhere from $46.83 per month to $54.75 per month.

Most plans from Choice Home Warranty have a flat $85 trade service call fee per claim. You pay this fee to the service provider who comes to your home. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit, the customer is responsible for paying the difference.

Choice Home Warranty exclusions

Choice Home Warranty plans cover all components and parts of certain appliances, such as washers, dryers and garbage disposals. Other appliances and all systems have coverage exclusions. It’s important to read the service agreement thoroughly so you understand the terms before you sign up.

For example, water heaters are covered in Choice Home Warranty’s sample contract, but holding or storage tanks, vents and flues are listed as excluded. This means that if your water heater breaks because of a problem with the storage tank, it won’t be covered.

Keep in mind that Choice Home Warranty also won’t cover any preexisting conditions, whether known or unknown. Misuse, abuse or failure to maintain a system or appliance is another reason a claim can get denied. Ultimately, it’s up to the company whether a covered system or appliance is replaced or repaired.

Choice Home Warranty FAQ

What are Choice Home Warranty’s coverage limits?
    Generally, Choice Home Warranty won’t pay out more than $3,000 per contract item. The company will pay up to $500 to provide access to covered items through walls, ceilings or floors and return the opening to “rough finish” condition.
    How do I file a claim with Choice Home Warranty?
    Customers follow these steps to request a service from Choice Home Warranty:
    1. Call or log in to the online account center to request service as soon as you notice a problem. You can make a claim online or call 24/7.
    2. Choice Home Warranty will then contact one of its authorized contractors to set up service. It will let you know the contractor’s name and phone number and the appointment time — usually within 48 hours.
    3. The contractor arrives for the appointment and repairs or replaces the system or appliance. You pay the service call fee of $85.
    Does Choice Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from Choice Home Warranty.
    What can I do if my claim is denied?
    If your claim is denied for any reason, you can ask for Choice Home Warranty to review its decision. The company may ask for maintenance records as part of this review. Choice Home Warranty may deny a claim if the problem is determined to be a preexisting condition or the result of misuse, abuse, neglect or failure to maintain the appliance or system according to the manufacturer’s directions.
    Can I cancel a Choice Home Warranty plan?
    Yes, you can cancel your Choice Home Warranty service within the first 30 days of your initial order for a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund; an administrative fee of up to $50 is assessed.
    Where is Choice Home Warranty available?
    Choice Home Warranty is available in all states except for California and Washington.

Is Choice Home Warranty any good?

Overall, we think the company is worth considering if you decide you want a home warranty. Choice Home Warranty has comparably lower starting costs for plans than some other companies. It also offers occasional specials, like providing the first month of coverage at no charge. Most verified complaints appear to be about claims disputes, which is common with most warranty companies.

Choice Home Warranty video review

video thumbnail
    Cindy: Hi, my name is Cindy, I live in Mississippi and I got a home warranty to protect my home in case of anything if anything broke down. I chose home warranty on a recommendation from the gentleman I bought the home from. One of my choices was American Home Shield. I did have a friend that had them that had some bad experiences with them. So I just wanted to go with the company that someone had used before and was happy with it. I went over the phone to set up my home warranty. They had two options for me. There was one that was a limited coverage. The second one was a VIP that covered all of my major appliances. Very easy to do. The operator was very helpful to me and explained everything me. So I believe that I made a good choice with the Choice Home Warranty. Working with the people at Choice Home Warranty has been very easy. I had to file a claim on my air conditioner and everything is done online, very self-explanatory. They were able to get someone out right away. So it was a very good experience. A second time that I had to call them was for a hot water heater. And when they could not find somebody within say a 24 hour period, they gave me the option of finding someone else myself. So that is what I did. And again, everything is done online. The man that was doing the service had to log on and give them the information. So it was a very easy process as long as everybody went through all the steps correctly. My choice using the home warranty has been worth it. I have fortunately have not had any major issues and hopefully I won't, but I am glad that I chose to get this home warranty. Just makes me feel better if I do have a major appliance go out or my air conditioning.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

The intake rep at Home Warranty Company was polite and knowledge. A service company advised of an appointment early the following week. The tech, Eduardo came on time and was exceptional. I had a disposal which had to be replaced after troubleshooting. Instead of tech ordering a replacement which manufacturer was unknown (I had a badger) I offered to provide a new replacement disposal so all the tech had to do is remove the old one and pop in the new universal fitting one. He received approval from the Home Warranty Co to do this and completed the installation flawlessly. This limited another visit and Choice warranty incurred NO expense for the replacement garbage disposal because come contract renewal, they keep track of what the end cost is for this service call and any other during the contract period in order to determine new cost of future contract.

Here's the rub. Everything was completed on the first visit. I got three separate communications re a return appointment with three different dates and times. I finally communicated with choice advising that job was done on first visit and to please close the service request. Normally I would not have gone to this length but last spring, I requested a service visit because water in house was not hot. The vendor sent an inexperienced plumber or sorts and he tried many things including replacing fittings on water heater and shower but still no longer had hot water. After 5 visits, I reminded him that on the first visit I indicated there was a valve under bathroom sink that probably controlled the tub water via mixing valve and he refused to look at it. On the last visit he did agree to look under the sink and indeed there was a mixing valve that controlled the adjacent tub and replaced it.

I was then asked to pay an additional service visit charge which was disputed and also showed that I had two separate claims for the same problem which will be taken into consideration when they premium rate me for next year's renewal if I choose to stay with Choice. It seems every contact including a manager at Choice had a different opinion re two service charge for the same problem but in the end when you report no hot water any longer the ticket should be left open until the issue is resolved.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

I am always happy with and would recommend Choice Home Warranty for affordability, more options for policy coverage (including full coverage policy options - I am on their largest plan and it has saved me so much money and stress), great customer service representatives over the phone, and oftentimes very, VERY good choice and utilization of contractors for various home warranty issues which are designated on your policy. They by far beat out other home warranty companies in pricing and service... I wish I had switched over a while ago honestly. All of the contractors other than this one in this review, have been fantastic, polite, timely, communicative, knowledge, and they knew how to fix the issues the house had. However, I would suggest that Choice Home Warranty monitors more closely on who they chose to use for contractors. I did have a very poor experience with a contractor through them.

My appointment was scheduled for Friday, and this guy showed up, unannounced with no phone call or text message, asking if he could collect payment while he was on the phone with someone else so I could barely hear him in the first place. He had no company shirt, I had no idea who he was...and I couldn't even hear him through him blaring his speakerphone call while talking to me. I told him to put it on mute actually and keep to the appointment before having him exit my home. With that said, this is my home, my domain, and I fired him through Choice Home Warranty and requested a new contractor. I cannot have someone just think they can show up as per their convenience like people don't have lives or work remotely.

Choice Home Warranty was great about the feedback and offers the option to their customer to provide it and escalate if need be so they can voice their concerns and problems. This is a great tool. I would say that I should not have a stranger who at first didn't even identify who he was, who wanted payment 2 days before the appointment and to just "check it out", showing up 2 days early, who just thought it would be convenient for him to knock on my door and ask for payment before our even scheduled day because he had "another house in the area." During this time, I was also on a conference call for work and was interrupted and I quickly ushered him out of the door saying to "stick to the appointment." I did submit this complaint to Choice Home Warranty and they did take care of this issue with tact, understanding, and precision and I am so grateful for that.

Giving customers an avenue to voice their concerns and provide feedback is very important, especially when a contractor is unprofessional, intrusive, oversteps my domain boundaries, is rude, and unrealistic. I wanted to thank Choice Home Warranty for taking care of this situation appropriately and I am still very, VERY happy with them. Please monitor your contractors for this type of intrusiveness more closely and thank you for providing such great service.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

We put a claim in on our air conditioning unit in mid September and it was assigned to Columbus Heating and Air. The unit had stopped blowing air into the house. Columbus Heating and Air stood us up multiple times using the excuse of bad weather, which wasn’t the case at all. When he finally showed up he spent a couple minutes at the outside unit and then told us it was completely out of Freon, which had just been filled the previous month. He said he was going to put in a request for a leak check. Whatever he put in was approved and we went through the process again of him pushing us off. We ended up troubleshooting the issue ourselves waiting on this guy and had cool air blowing in the house again but still wanted it checked just to make sure nothing else was going on with it.

When he finally came back the second time, he went to the unit in our upstairs, took pictures of rust on the overflow pan, and left. There was no checking for a Freon leak which is what we thought he was coming back to do. That night I received a message from him saying that the warranty company had approved a whole new AC system. We were going to have to pay $1300 out of pocket. That’s when we requested a second opinion and another company come check it. Columbus Heating and Air then contacted me, asked if we had requested someone else, and then said all we needed was a new evaporator coil and not a unit. That was clearly another lie. Nothing had been discussed with us.

Hughs Heating and Air came out, thoroughly checked everything, discussed everything with my husband and came to the conclusion that our thermostat had just gone bad. That was what we had troubleshooter and fixed waiting on the other guy. The unit was and is back to working normally. The technician from Hughs stated that he had been out to multiple customers home within the last couple weeks that Columbus Heating and Air had been at and was hearing the same stories. The units are working as they should but that guy wants to replace everything. Columbus Heating and Air is doing nothing but ripping customers of Choice Home Warranty and the Warranty company themselves off. He’s a fraud. He will never step foot on my property again. Hughs Heating and Air is fantastic though.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Mike was the one who diagnosed my hot water heater issue. He also pointed out certain issues to be aware of while in my laundry room such as adding some support braces for the pipes to the ceilings as well as pointing out a possible kink in the gas line hose connector to my dryer that Lowes did a couple of years back when replacing it w/ the one I bought from them.

He pointed out & warned me to replace or cover the gas boiler metal box that attaches to the flume that takes away the carbon monoxide since there was an apparent drip from one of the pipes above it. It is quite rusted & corroded to the point that any nonsignificant pressure could rupture & open up any time opening which would be dangerous. He mentioned it's likely such a small leak that it is a drip here & there perhaps during the winter time when the boiler is on, but it adds up over the years. He highly recommended I place another Carbon Monoxide detector in that room even though I had one at the basement stairway 1/2 way to the ground floor.

Mike discussed getting a water heater w/ me that met the exact specs of the one I had which was a gas 40 gallon 40k BTU model w/ a 12 year warranty. He made sure to replace the one w/ the same exact specs & also recommend the A. O. Smith water heater which was American made & top notch quality for residential water heaters which one of the local Lowes carried so no wait for delivery. He was adamant about replacing like for like since he didn't want to replace it w/ one that only had a 6 year warranty as mine was 12 years. Of course the warranty had just expired the year before.

Jose was the actual heating specialist who replaced my corroded, leaking water heater tank w/ the new one. He went way above & beyond just replacing it while also cleaning up after himself. He was patient w/ my questions regarding many of the steps, tools, & parts that he was using. He double/tripled checked for gas leaks not just from the water heater, but also from my nearby gas boiler & dryer. He did provide & wrapped a support strap for some of the overhead pipes to prevent potential rattling from incoming cold water pressure into the water heater.

He particularly helped me checked the various drain pipes that had backed up in my basement bathroom which was in an adjacent room to the laundry/boiler/water heater room. He helped me finally determine the different pipe(s) that connected to the bathroom sink which would back up just in the past week or so every time we ran the kitchen sink or dishwasher from the floor just above it. It was happening around the time the hot water heater broke down so wasn't sure if because we were turning on/off the main to slow down the water heater leak & then washing down the little bits that we were toweling off from the floor that it was or wasn't the root or main cause for the backup we were experiencing.

He helped me flush out the water from the laundry sink which fed directly to the main line towards the front of the house & we watched it flow more smoothly at the main drain line there. He helped me determine that bathroom standing shower connected to the toilet adjacent to it which also connected to the laundry room sink that he flushed & noticed no backward flow so knew that there were no issues w/ those drain pipes.

We then totally focused on the bathroom drain pipe which somehow did not connect to the standing bathroom drain pipe even though we saw the pipe running into & alongside it which I had assumed as I was snaking it that it would eventually go through that very same standing shower drain pipe but did not. He was able to snake out as much as he could the gunk build up. He was about to help me replace my bathroom faucet line, but unfortunately, he discovered the small crack in the sink so there was no point.

I now know that I should get a longer electric snake from Home Depot & clear out more gunk since his only was able to go 8 feet as he swapped out his 80' electric roto rooter type snake to fit the water heater into his van. I am way more confident about the flow & condition of my drain pipes in the basements towards the front water main access that leads to the street sewers. I will also be replacing the entire vanity & sink along w/ a new faucet, supply lines & couplings to the drain pipe. He showed me the steps including putting the small pieces of the faucet together when I'm ready to install the new sink. If I have any issues I am more than sure they will be able to advise &/or come & help. Again top notch from both Mike & Jose & can't recommend them enough!!!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I want you to know I have retired recently and been shopping for a home warranty! I was lucky enough to receive a telephone promotion phone call. When I was referred to Francis ** in the sales department, I finally got exactly what I expected from Choice Home Warranty! Your advertisements and consistent emails proved to me that you would be just as likely to serve me as completely! This employee Francis, absolutely did deliver! I made a point of telling him so oh, and also that he made my day!

My first Contact was with Tanya from the call center and on this initial phone call I spoke to a salesperson that provoked me to the point where I dismissed him by hanging up on him!! I called back, ask for management and was put on a waiting queue. I waited a short time and then call back directly to the sales Center, because I went to your website which was very complete and gave me instant and direct contact with Francis. The nature of the professional attitude that Francis delivered immediately made it worth calling back! He made sure I understood that what I had experienced with the previous salesman was unacceptable and that he would definitely make it right! Then much to my surprise I got to experience the different levels such as VIP. I did not know there was even an extended warranty available oh, and the telephone promotion price was so good that I wound up purchasing a 6 year plan!

I would never have known about any of this had I not been inclined to listen to the salesperson I finally did get a hold of. His method of explanation was concise and easy to understand. His great attitude was a relief, and also exactly what I would expect of Choice Home Warranty, which is the reason I responded in the very first place. Six months of shopping through different home warranty companies made my choice easy thanks to the promotion call, and the subsequent follow-up by Superior sales person who showed me the value of my purchase of a home warranty policy!!

Feels good going into the new year fully covered for my most recent efforts at home improvement, including all brand-new appliances, 2 new bathrooms and all Electric and Plumbing.! Again having recently retired and going on to fixed-income makes this an even more valuable policy! I absolutely plan on discussing my purchase with my friends and family and encouraging them to do the same! It just makes great and good sense! Thank you very much!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

The customer service rep, Yanike was very professional, thorough and knowledgeable. Awaiting call from company to accept the order and arrange a time for the technician to come and service my unit. I would like to say thank you for making a bad situation less stressful.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Matt was very professional and thorough. Explained all aspects of the home warranty. Had an add on the warranty and was given a thorough explanation. The rate given and service call fee was very competitive. All in all a pleasant experience.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

I was very pleased with the answers I go to my questions and hope the service going forward meets expectations. I am looking forward to a good relationship with Choice. This will put all my troubles regarding appliances at ease.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

Yes, I’ll tell a few friends and try to write in your company in my contracts when I sell or list homes. Gary was very knowledgeable and friendly. He was able to provide information about different service providers in my area. I’ll let family and friends know about the service. When my contract is active I’ll know more about the company.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

The repairmen did a great job fixing my heat. They came in and got right work and in no time it was fix ed. They did a great job. I would highly recommend them to my friends and neighbors. Great job guys. Thanks for answering all the questions I had.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information