1.89/5
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 11, 2018

529 Charmglow Gas Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 11, 2018

Purchased this Charmglow a while back (810-8640-S) held together pretty good however tonight while cooking the electric panel below appears malfunctioned and caused the propane hose to ignite. Had to call 911 after nearly having the propane tank ignite and house almost go up with it. Scary stuff and it happened out of nowhere. Prior to this the electric panel was on the fritz for a few days and the igniter on the left was constantly clicking. Finally it went and burned through the hose and had the tank hissing.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I bought my all stainless steel Charmglow (not lying) over 18 yrs ago. Chicago winters dictate I store it in my garage. My neighbor leaves it outside & uses a grill cover. He has gone thru 5 grills. I haven't changed A SINGLE THING including ORIGINAL IGNITER! When finished after every use I clean it by cranking the heat till all grease & particles burn off & no more smoke comes out. Then, with burners still on full blast, I use a long handled brass brush with spraying ONLY WATER on it (steam sizzling cleans it great!). I let it air cool with top open for 45 min. and roll into the garage.

One more tip, when shutting the off gas, I always turn the gas off at the tank valve 1st & wait for the burners to go out, then I shut the knobs off. My previous grill was a NON-stainless grill that I inherited from my father was over 9 yrs old. He told me that covers hold the moisture in, need air to circulate to dry it out & prevent the rust. (Same reason we never completely cover outside ac unit, just a plastic lid to keep snow out of inside). It lasted a total of 13 yrs. Unfortunately after 18 years corrosion has finally arrived to the bottom of the firebox on my Charmglow. This grill owes me nothing. I'm happily going to buy another (and probably my last) gas grill. DEFINITELY WILL BE A CHARMGLOW!

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Bought this nice SS 4 burner grill with side burner expecting it to last. The electronic igniter gave up at about 6 months old and non-stainless small screws holding the side burner together rusted out in 1 year. I replaced most with stainless but the nut holding the side burner igniter is rusted away. The drip pan under the burner also rusted out within a year even though the unit has always been under a grill cover. The sheet metal under the burners is also badly rusted within 2 years. It's too bad that a stainless grill was not assembled with a few SS screws to keep it looking presentable.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Deteriorating grill. Have a rusted out grill as well. The ceramic started flaking off within a year. Was going to buy replacement parts but too complicated to figures out and after reading the other reviews, I think I will just invest in a new grill.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I bought this Charmglow 720-0036-hd-05 grill sometime around 2003 or 2005. I can't exactly remember when I bought it. Either way it is 2017 and other than replacing burners and the grill plates the grill is in great shape. That's at least 12 years of sitting outside uncovered. Not one piece has rusted out. I love this grill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charmglow?

Original review: May 4, 2016

We take good care of our items. We stored in an enclosed patio with cover. Opened it up to use and door fell off and guts and walls of grill are brittle thin pieces of rust. I have never seen anything like it. Model 8108905s.

Original review: March 4, 2016

I've had a Charmglow Model 810-7400-S for about eight years, maybe longer, and have had no complaints so I'm a happy customer. However I might offer some comments that might explain some of the problems others have. First, I bought a cover for my grill. I really don't understand how any owner can expect any grill to last when they leave it uncovered year round and exposed to rain and snow. A pile of rust should be expected. Second - and I'm amazed that the manufacturers don't emphasize this - there is a little critter called a spider mite that apparently thrives on the chemical in propane that odorizes it. They build their nests inside the tubing and can completely clog it up. When the tubing gets clogged the burners don't work well - and maybe not at all - and there is a risk of fire where you don't expect it. I had the problem in a previous BBQ and just discovered the problem in this one. The solution is to replace the burner circuit.

Third (and fourth) - Stainless steel won't rust but the other painted sheet metal parts will if exposed to moisture long enough. Also, someone complained about their cast iron grills rusting. Well, duh! If you clean them off well and don't give them a coat of cooking oil they will rust. Most people that I know use a grill brush to brush off the heavy deposits and leave the grease where it is as protection. Think Grandma's cast iron frying pan that she never washed in soapy water for good reason!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

Well, my Charmglow is subjected to sun, extreme cold, snow and ice. It lives uncovered outside for 3 years now and only has a bit of surface rust on the side which was easily removed with some acid wash. Everything on the inside is perfect.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

In January 2007 I received a Charmglow 810-7400-S barbecue grill as a housewarming gift. Charmglow was a new name in my house. I grilled often over the years and always cleaned and covered my grill when not in use. Here we are almost 9 years later, and I am just now needing to replace the interior of my grill. I was easily able to locate all the parts I needed online. When I needed to double-check that I was ordering the right parts, the instruction/parts manual was easily found online, and downloadable. I am a 34-yr old single woman who rebuilt the interior of my BBQ. Bottom line, just like anything else in life, take care of it, and it will take care of you. Here I am 9 years later, with a brand-new BBQ for under $200.00.

Original review: June 16, 2015

Surprised to see all the bad reviews on this grill. My wife's dad gave her a Charmglow 720-0234 a few years ago that they didn't use anymore at their second house. She had it for about a year before we really started using it. We grilled out 2-3 times a week for 9+ months and never had an issue with this grill. That was 2 years ago. Last week I went to take a look at it as it had been sitting for 2 years with no use and saw 3 of the 5 burners rusted over and no gas was able to get out through the small holes, and the other 2 burners weren't far behind.

I got on Amazon and purchased 5 new burners and heat plates for $50, that included S&H. I got a metal buffing brush for my grill at Home Depot and spent a few hours getting all the junk off the grates, splash plate, and inside of the grill. Yesterday I finally got everything put back together and it works just as good as a brand new grill. This is a great grill and I'm NOT surprised I've had to replace the burners after multiple years of use.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

After about six months, I tried to utilize my grill yesterday. Unfortunately a fire developed and shot through the hole where the selector switch was located, burning it so badly that it fell off. I had no way to shut it off except to turn the propane tank off manually. This very easily could have resulted in an all out fire or explosion.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2014

After about six months of not using the grill I tried to start it but the gas not flowing. After inspecting the gas tank and changing the regulator I found a white worm inside two of the four burner. I cannot believe how a worm can get in there. It could happen to any grill.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2014

I read a lot of complaints about this grill. I have had my model 720-0234 for almost 10 years. It has not fallen apart and is in pretty good shape for the conditions that I have subjected it to. It has never had a cover and has been rained on since I bought it. The only thing that is wrong with it is the casters froze up as they are not stainless steel; however I don't move it anyway. The grease trap broke after several years but I have used it without it. I have changed the burners and heat plates twice but that is normal for the service. When burners are good, it cooks fine. The burner turn down could be a little better but it would limit high end heat when required. I usually get lower heat by turning on the two end burners and slow cook in the middle. When I need high heat, I turn on the burners and prop open the top with a wood block to avoid flame-ups. With a little creativity the grill cooks fine. I never had a grill that lasted this many years by replacing a few parts every few years. This is a tough service and requires some maintenance every few years.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2014

I purchased a Charmglow Gas Grill, which was expensive because it is stainless steel; or so they say. It has rusted out throughout the outside and inside. What a major disappointment!!! I can't believe Home Depot carried the product. After reading other remarks, I see I'm not alone being ripped off. Today, from the rust, one of the wheel fell off. I keep this unit in an enclosed area with a cover on it. I also sprayed it with WD-40 thinking that would help. The only thing that will help is to throw it away.

Original review: June 9, 2014

Purchased Charmglow Grill from home depot. Completely fell apart in 2 yrs, as everyone else has stated. No warranty.

Original review: May 9, 2014

I received a Charmglow (NEXGRILL) 720-0234 5 burner stainless steel grill for a Father's Day gift from my family. After the first year of use, I had the same problem as other Charmglow victims, rust and corrosion. I had a warranty through Home Depot and thought that they would handle the problem. Not the case. I was given the customer service # for Charmglow, only to find out that I needed to contact NEXGRILL. I did receive replacement burners for 5 years (the length of the warranty) and each time there was a new set of hoops to jump through. Anyone who buys a stainless steel grill should know that there are different types and grades of stainless, I found out too late. I am no longer going to buy any parts for this thorn in my side. I will however do my homework on what "quality" really is.

Original review: April 26, 2014

My "stainless steel" Charmglow grill performed better than some of you. The back burner (thus the rotisserie) plus the ignitor failed in year one. The rest of the grill still worked, but everything was rusting out, including the outside. At least we could cook something. This year all 5 burners will light, but when you let go of the knob to adjust the flame lower, the gas gets cut off from all the burners. In searching for new parts, I came across this site. Thanks everyone for saving me the trouble of trying to find parts or contacting Charmglow. They don't call back. I found an old junker grill in storage. You have to light it with a match, but it works. Maybe go back to a Weber when I save my pennies.

Original review: April 19, 2014

I purchased a $600 Charmglow grille from Home Depot. It is a piece of junk. You have to stay with it every minute. The grilles are too close to the burners and if you leave your dinner for a few minutes to get more spices, it flames up and burns your steak or ribs or chicken. It does not matter what you are cooking. I would not recommend that anyone reading buy a Charmglow grille. I know I would not buy another one.

Original review: June 22, 2013

Three years ago, I paid over $600 for a Charmglow Stainless Steel 5-burner Grill at Home Depot. Two years ago, I opened it after being covered for the winter and all that was left in the inside was a pile of rust, including the Stainless Steel Grates. I shut the lid and left it until this year. Now, I am trying to find new guts for it, and I have to get parts from several different places. If I do find the parts, which will cost $300 to $400, that's it. When they go bad, probably next summer, it's OUT OF HERE!!! Never again!!!

Original review: June 18, 2013

A year old grill. Kept cover on at all times. Completely corroded. Parts fall apart. There's for this very expensive grill. Charmglow won't answer the phone. They take phone #s but no returned phone calls. Big disappointment!

Original review: June 13, 2013

I purchased the Charmglow unit with the stove at Home Depot. It worked well throughout the summer. After storing it at the end of season, cleaned, wrapped and in a shed, what resulted the following season was that the so-called chrome was peeling, Stainless steel rusting and black started to flake. Customer service refused to help. I now take it out for the second season. It has rotted through. It's done. It's garbage. I called customer service back. They said, "SORRY, no help for you." IT IS PURE JUNK.

Original review: May 20, 2013

I have never in my 40 years been more disappointed or taken advantage of by a product in my life. I bought 400lb beautiful outdoor Charmglow stone faced stainless steel Island for $1,200 3 years ago. I have replaced burners and heat shields all three years. One of the doors rusted off and one of the drawer faces also has. Stainless steel isn't supposed to rust. Wouldn't this be false advertising? I am not fixing it this year and will never buy another product from them again. I can’t even begin to sum up how upset I am about wasting this money. I completely got taken advantage of. Please don’t do the same.

Original review: May 16, 2013

No parts were available - the grid and the four burners. I could not even find them on the internet. Why?

Original review: May 3, 2013

We've had the exact same problems with our "high-end" grill. I was going to buy replacement parts as a Father's Day present, but couldn't even find a site that carries all the stainless parts (sliding covers, drawer fronts, even the parts of the base that are stainless). Instead, I found all the comments on this site. Did Attorney Peter of LA ever proceed with a class action? Does anyone have a suggestion for disposing of the 6-foot rust bucket?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

The grill (Charmglow Gas Grill model 810-7405-S) is terrible. Please see the following: one of the gas hoses failed in one year; the grill grate shot it 2 years; and the burners shot in 2 years. I wasted time and money to keep it going and hate using it. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: July 22, 2012

Charmglow 720 0578 is the first grill my wife and I purchased together. We figured we would spend money to get a quality product that would cook well and last. We do quite a bit of outdoor cooking. So, we purchased the stainless steel Charmglow 720-0578 model 5-burner, plus rear burner and side searing burner from Home Depot. It was always kept covered under a roof. As stated by others, within a year all of the guts rusted out. The burners fell apart and the grill is not fit to cook on and frankly, it is no longer safe to use. We aren't rich by any means, but felt that we were paying for quality at the time, and we were excited about our purchase. Our excitement didn't last long. And when the thing started to deteriorate prematurely, I went looking for replacement parts only to realize that HD quit selling the Charmglow grills altogether. I came across this website while searching for parts online. I'm amazed to see so many complaints! Instead of spending $300-$400 trying to build a car from parts, I have decided that I will not give one more dollar to Nexgrill, Brinkman, or anyone else selling products under the Charmglow tag.

Original review: July 21, 2012

I bought a $500 charmglow 5-burner grill, from home depot. I have seldom used it and have kept it covered. I bought a stainless steel grill to keep from replacing it every other year. Well, I should have bought an $85 grill from Walmart and I would be further ahead of the burners. All 5 have rusted and are only (sic) $35.00 per piece and the heat reflectors are $25.00 per piece, for a total of 300 bucks. Yeah, for sure it looks good on my deck. Too bad that it won't work . It's a Walmart cheapie from now on. I just hope I can get a couple of bucks out of the junk for scrap!

Original review: July 15, 2012

I bought a Charmglow 810-7400S gas grill from Home Depot in 2007. The grill has been kept covered and yet the entire inside, plus the tray underneath the burners, has completely rusted to the point of being unsafe. We are very disappointed that the craftsmanship of this grill is so inferior. I found this site while trying to get replacement parts, but now I think it would be wiser to put my money into buying a Weber.

Original review: July 6, 2012

Charmglow "stainless steel" gourmet grill - Charmglow obviously does not know what stainless steel is. This thing rotted clean through in less than 9 months. Thank God I bought their gold-plated cover and tried to maintain it. The grills and heat diffusers rotted away and to get parts is a hassle. The worst investment I have ever made. I tell all my friends to stay away from Charmglow, the worst ever.

Original review: July 3, 2012

We bought an expensive Charmglow Stainless Steel Grill 810-7440-S thinking it would weather the test of time. Not right from the start, the left side shelf (tack welded) fell off. The caster wheel collapsed. Charmglow replaced these. One season later, and I've never seen this happen. We don't cover it because we keep it under a roofed deck. The entire insides rusted out. The only stainless steel on this grill is the cover and sides. The burners, the grill, drip tray and drawer all rusted out making the grill unsafe and unusable.

These grills are designed to fail. A good grade of steel doesn't rust out that easily. I have spent $200.00 this summer rebuilding this grill with aftermarket stainless steel burners, heat shields, grill and a set of four casters. This is the worst purchase I have ever made. Stay away from Charmglow! Oh, a friend asked me where I was getting my parts. I asked him why. Surprise, he had a Charmless grill too that suffered this rust bomb.

Charmglow Gas Grills Company Information