2.08/5

252 Char-Broil Gas Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2018

My Char-Broil Classis is going on 3 yrs old. The flame does not change. When I light it the flames come up, but very low. The handles are turned to high. If I decrease the flame with the handle part, the flame goes out. All 4 burners are doing the same thing. What can I do?? The temperature only goes up to the 300 mark. Help.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My Char-Broil grill wasn't inexpensive, higher end model around $369 on sale. One burner didn't work as soon as we got it home, but such a pain to return that we just decided to use the rest of the grill. It blew out a knob and flames shot out of the hole where the knob had been and melted that part of the grill. Thankfully we were standing right there to shut off the gas or we could have lost our home. For the warranty fulfillment on this new grill the company will only mail us a large of amounts of replacement parts for us to try to figure out how to put all into this burned out grill. Don't buy one! Terrible customer service and product.

Original review: May 28, 2018

May 27, 2016 retired my Big Easy after 16+ years. Yes, did purchase some replacement burners and deflectors on two occasions. Still working but once again new parts would be needed and decided to get a new infra-red Char-Broil. Lowe's did not have an assembled Model 463347418, and I foolishly decided to bring the boxed grill home and assemble myself. The 2002 grill provided plenty of instruction and pictures and assembled easily. The Big Easy deserves 5 stars. The assembly of its replacement deserves 1 star.

All you get now are pictures. No excuse for Char Broil to not provide any written instruction with their pictures. LET ME REPEAT- NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. The novice assembler has to constantly guess, and a little written instruction with each and every picture (there were 19) should be required and mandatory. (I.E. make sure part A is front, part B is back. Attachment of part A should be atop, not under part C). Pictures only make you guess. It was a bad, bad afternoon.

Hopefully the new Char Broil will be as good as the 2002 model. Just judging on the crappy picture only assembly instructions it is off to a really bad start. Char-Broil, you want your customer to give you a satisfaction rating. Provide some freaking instructions with your 19 pictures. Until then consider yourselves lucky to get more than one star.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I bought a 4 burner tru infrared $500.00 gas grill in Nov or Dec 2013. I treated the grates and shields with oil before using and sprayed with oil after each use, as instructed. It still rusted heavily. Finally, this year, I decided to replace grills and burners (2 were caving in). I went to Lowe's and got two new grates, shields and burners. Got home and took out the two caved ingrates and shields (crumbled in my hands as DID the third and fourth, I was able to save one flame shield). Two of the burners were completely gone except where they were connected to the grill with cotter pin. Cotter pin holders broken. Third burner full of holes. Burner flame covers - salvaged one. The inner grill side panels (one rectangle and one trapezoid) were detached from side. Bottom rear floor panel rusted threw where caster wheel is, now grill sits cockeyed.

Contacted Char-Broil, pictures and emails, Heather told me it would costs over $400.00 in replacement parts. I had an arkla gas grill prior to this (from 1982 to 2013) had to replace burners about every 8+ years and metal grills about every 19 years. Char-Broil must have used defective metal in making my grill. There is no reason my grill floor should rust out. Grill is positioned on 4 concrete patio stones (16 by 16). Don't buy Char-Broil Gas Grills. Poor poor quality! I don't recommend them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Ok I owned several Char-Broil grills over the years. 2016 I bought a Char-Broil Tru Flame grill. In two weeks the vapor grates rusted out. I replaced them 4 times until the grill itself finally rusted out. I not only cleaned and covered the grill but also stored it inside a brick outside utility building. I contacted Char-Broil because the Box, the frame, the wheels, the burners and the vapor grates had all rusted out and the electric start quit. This grill was $300. Pictures were taken and submitted. Char-Broil in the past had a good warranty and CS. But this time they said that I would have to pay $100 for the parts. And that meant complete disassembly of the grill and rebuild it. So I opted to throw away the grill and I purchased a RevoAce grill from Amazon for $150. The RevoAce grill is made in China also. It won't last more than two years either. But I think buying a cheaper grill will be more cost effective.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Char-Broil?

Original review: May 10, 2018

We purchased a Char Broil Grill model 463243016 at Lowe's 2 years ago. The grates haven't lasted, so tried to find replacements, only to find that they have to be special ordered. $19.99 each, and the emitters $18.99 each. Needing 3 of each at that price would be over $120.00 plus taxes and shipping would then be around $200!!! Can buy a new grill for not much more. Done with Char Broil!!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

Overall I like the look of the Char-Broil gas grill. I would recommend buying. Good buy, and the price isn't bad. But the grates wear out too quickly.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Char-Broil Gas Grill works fine. I really thought the space was large enough but I never have enough room. The finish did darken after about two uses. I also believe there is a better design for the drip pan.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The grill that I own is awesome. I have never had any problems with it at all. I purchased it about 2 years ago and as long as I keep the propane tanks full then I know that I can always rely on it. Recently we had hurricane Irma come thru, and we were without power for many days, but thanks to our gas grill I was still able to heat water for bathing and saved a lot of money by cooking on it rather than eating out. I even learned how to bake a cake on my gas grill. It was truly a lifesaver and I would never want to be without it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This is the 2nd one I have owned and I will never buy another brand. It has the radiant heat that makes steaks and burgers cook perfectly and taste great. Easy to clean as well. I live in New England and I grill outdoors all winter long!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The first gas grill that we have ever owned and I am very happy with it. No more waiting for the charcoal to heat up and definitely easier clean up.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Removed flame retardant shields to make it work better and use flame retardant bricks to simulate a grill. The grease catcher need a better design, the hose to propane needs a PSI meter and wheel assembly needs to be stronger.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Have had this Char-Broil gas grill for over 7 years. It's easy to clean and nice looking. It cooks great, love the sear feature. There's plenty of room for when we have family gatherings. I keep it covered but the ignitor went out about 2 years ago and the burners aren't putting out the flame it did but it still cooks.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought two of these Char-Broil small table top portable gas grills because the seller was having a season clearance sale and I couldn't pass up the deal. What a mistake. Both grills had the same problem, and I assume it was the gas regulators or the combination of burner/regulator. I switched parts from both grills, I contacted service and sales and they sent more regulators and burners that did the exact same thing. I battled this "blowing out" of the flame on the burners for a year or more until I couldn't stand it anymore and chucked both grills, parts, replacement parts in the local dumpster. Needless to say, ask me if I will ever buy or use another Char-Broil grill.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Disappointing purchase. Burners do not light quickly causing flash ignitions. Stainless steel is cheap resulting in rust spots. Cabinet doors do not close. The grill is light weight and after less than 2 years needs to be replaced. I will replace this grill before next spring.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Pro 3 gas grill - Our grill is only 3 years old. Had to have it replace once. Not this one. When we use it when you go to shut it off the knob is so hot you can't touch the thing to turn off. You have to use a pot holder, this is a piece of crap.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

This is the second grill I've owned from you, first one lasted 15 years and was great, this one works great also but your engineers made a huge mistake. There is no way to clean the catch pan under the grill. This is the grill Walmart sell a ton of poor design.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I purchased a Char Broil Tru Infrared Professional thinking it was made with degree of excellence. I couldn't be more wrong. It has surface rust all over. The more I have tried to clean the worst the finish becomes with the rust reappearing. My experience with customer service they were good at not addressing the problem. I was told to rub the BBQ down with 50/50 water vinegar solution every time the rust reappears. Make sure the cover is off but only put it on when it rains. I was also told that all stainless rusts except for surgical steel. This is a BBQ for my deck just a year old and looks terrible. I have owned BBQ’s for over 40 years this was my most expensive one purchased and the worst.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchased Char-Broil Tru-Infrared model #5463270615 from Sears in April 2015 for $248.00. I think the Infrared feature will not give you the true BBQ grill that sears the outside. I was expecting more than I got. Two years later we had used the grill about 7 times for steak, burgers, chicken. I was expecting true “char broil” flavor, with the outside of the meat seared as described in the manual (page 7) and according to the color pictures on the cover of the manual. The manual states “Searing is creating a flavor “crust”… and getting a good “crust” on the outside… to ensure flavor remain inside.”

Some BBQ cook book suggest rubbing sea salt on the steak before grilling and that is supposed to facilitate the searing and Char-Broil crust. I never achieved the searing and the flavor was the same as cooking at high heat on our electric stove. The color of the steak was more tan or beige with darker tan strips. Clean up is about the same as other grills: highest heat with top closed, scrap, brush, wipe, coat with cooking oil. If I had it to do over I would choose a Char-Broil traditional gas propane grill with a BBQ grill mat. High temperature and very little clean up.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I've owned a Char-Broil for over 40 years. In that time I've had 4 grills. They are built well and if a part does wear out they are easy to replace. They have great accessories and are easy to operate.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

For a medium size grill, this Char-Broil has done far more than what I was expecting. Not only can you grill burgers, chicken and ribs you can also use the grill as a smoker for small-large size pieces of meat. I had this particular grill for more than 2 years, and it has provided me with fantastic grilling.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I really love the look of my grill. It is a 4 burner with a side burner and side shelf. My problem with it is from the day that I got it the ignition buttons to light it do not work at all. I have to light the grill with a long lighter from the back of the grill.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought my grill 20 years ago and it still works like new. To be fair they used to have a lifetime warranty on the burners and they have kept their promise. I have replaced these brass burners several times through the years. Parts are cheap and easy to service. I know people who have replaced their grill several times in the same time period. Not sure they still make my model though.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Grills perfect steaks, burgers, and even salmon. Flames can be adjusted for any food. Works well for indirect heat grilling. We have owned our current grill for a little over 2 years and are extremely satisfied. We purchased a Char-Broil because of service we've had with them in the past and the availability of replacement parts if needed.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Grill is well built. The design is nice but it could use a better grease drainage system. Stainless steel material is really a plus when it comes to high heat levels. Overall a good brand of barbecue grill.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Very scared after the Char-Broil grill propane hose caught fire... Tried to put out. Then called 911. I called customer Service today. I told them that the protector plate that's above the propane tank is. I believe to be faulty. This is what I think may have happened, it’s up to you, to make the decisions for yourself... Look at pic, On one side there is two screws to hold protector plate, then on the opposite side only two L brackets that sit on the ledge of the grill... I believe when you move the grill the L bracket can slip off on one side, which means grease from the grease tray can now hit the protector tray then w L bracket off kilter, bring hot boiling grease directly on hose! The person on the phone said the grease cup could have splashed... All I can say is it was like a marble game this is how: grease drips run along grease tray, which drip on protector tray which is tilted BC of faulty bracket! Which rolls off on to your propane hose.

I never had to use a fire extinguisher but I did and that did not put out the flame on the hose. why? BC you have to reach where the fire is to shut off tank! Propane grills can be plain dangerous, I don't plan on using one again... look up propane grill explosions. It happens when grease catches fire and propane take can explode. And people get burned and homes catch fire. I will only say stick w coals BC propane is like a bomb waiting to go off. The fire department sent 4trucks. They obviously knew how dangerous it could be. Thankfully no one got hurt and nothing exploded. Sadly I was told by Char-Broil that if they find something is wrong they will only replace the part... I told the man to let them know I'm frightened to use it again and if they could please consider a refund BC I will not use propane again. It's up to you. but please be extra cautious w/ these grills.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Contacted Char-Broil 8-1-17. Original purchase 4-16. Replacement parts sent 8-16. Grill (Model #463211516 4 Burner Propane Grill) was defective right out of box with burner issues and wheel issues. Replaced items in August 2016 and they failed again. In addition stationary side table came loose. Char-Broil offered more replacement parts and "assistance". Also a $40.00 credit on an "upgrade". Right After all this they expect me to buy another one! Products are junk. They had no interest in making a refund or totally replacing the unit. They give no credit to your time as a "mechanic" for their products. Interesting to note that cook top with burners comes as a complete assembly new. But they have no problems having a untrained consumer take apart something that obviously is a hazard to service as a "warranty" repair. Again JUNK. Do not buy their products.

Original review: July 22, 2017

A friend gave me a Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker with Smartchef for Christmas. When we finally got the weather to cooperate to try it out, no matter what, the thing runs 50 to 125 degrees hotter than I set it via the app. To get 225, I have to use a much lower number (around 135) and sometimes keep the door opened a bit after checking the meat, as it constantly runs way too hot. I have tested this several times and using a Maverick thermometer hooked above the wire shelves. Regardless of which rack I choose... it shows me that the smoker is running much hotter. I would understand if it dips down and rises to maintain an average. However, this is running consistently much hotter than my desired cooking temp. To me hitting 150 over is ridiculous.

I called CharBroil and they told me that I could not measure temperature correctly with an alternate thermometer nor can it not be empty. Ok... but it ran 150 over temp with food in the thing and dried out all my food once the internal temp was reached. Total failure!! So I put in a ticket and they agreed I needed a new thermostat and probe. However they would not send that unless I could provide the proof of purchase. Char-Broil does not honor gifts. The good news is the parts only cost like $28 with shipping. So I'm not that upset about forking that over on a gift. I just fail to understand why they simply would not send me this. To me it is the principle of honoring their admitted products failure. I just feel a bit cheated. No way am I going to call my friend and ask for a receipt as I would think that pretty rude. I have a valid claim, a serial number, and tried my best to make a brand new item work. It failed every time.

I'm not the first person to have this issue. I have seen this appear on a few smoker forums with the same experience (other than having to pay for the parts), so Charbroil knows this is an issue. My sole complaint is them not honoring their products and weaseling out of some parts that probably cost them all of $5. It may seem cheap of me, but the thing that really bugs me is how many times they said they would honor it and then come back to, "but we need to see proof of purchase." Well obviously SOMEONE purchased it and it is sitting on my back porch. I am about to install the new parts and if it doesn't work, it is going out in the street.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Char-Broil Infrared 2 Burner Grill: After the same grill purchase several years ago konked out and no replacement parts worked, I did the same stupid thing again and bought on May 30 another two burner grill at Lowe’s. The first time we used it it heated up okay, but when we turned it off, the left dial was on off, but still did not shut off the propane. That could have be a very dangerous situation! We did not realize this until we began to cook on the grill again and the new propane tank was empty! So after BUYING more propane we discovered that the left dial had to be turned further from the off position in order to shut off the propane tank.

Then last night the left side would not start up at all. The dial is broken and I am in no mood to get under that grill with replacements parts that I know won't work. Send me a new grill. I am looking for the receipt for this purchase but can't find it right now. I want a new assembled grill. Or the refund of 249.00. I am not going to relent on this.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have had nothing but trouble with product (Char-Broil Grill2Go) and company. First time I used the grill it pinned the gauge at 650 and melted the gauge. Char-Broil sent a replacement. Second time it melted the gas bar and grill grate. Another round of replacement parts they said would solve the problem and sent a new regulator. Again it went straight to 650 and pinned the gauge again. Requests for a refund or replacement of a charcoal type grill fell on deaf ears. I will never buy from this company again and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Dangerous product still on the market!!! BEWARE!!!

Char-Broil Gas Grills Company Information