2.42/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

228 Char-Broil Gas Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

We purchased a Char-Broil Modular kitchen. We recently set it up and we are very disappointed with the grill portion of it. We grilled steaks and the amount smoke that was created was not normal. It was HEAVY white smoke. We were practically unable to get close the grill to shut it off. Fast forward we called Char-Broil with no satisfaction. We were told that we needed additional information every time we called back and that this was normal and that we should call Lowe's. We called and we were told again this is normal by the store manager and that we should look at a YouTube and we would see it. This is not normal. I have grilled all my life with my Weber and never experienced this.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Recently purchased a new Char-Broil gas grill model# 463245917 with six burners for an excellent price at Lowe's. My old Char-Broil grill was ten plus years old. This grill is an awesome size, so much so that I had to remove the right side shelf so that the grill would fit in the barbecue area on my deck. Barbecued today for the first time using the grill along with a universal rotisserie. I was very pleased with the outcome, except that the front of the grill is very hot. The carryover (gas transfer) tube runs across the front of the grill which makes flipping food at the back of the grill difficult due to the intense heat. Makes we wonder about the plastic knobs on the front of the grill. Also, I was surprised that there were no hooks for hanging utensils. Never used a grease drip pan before. I've always had a baked bean can with a hook attacked to catch the grease. Sure hope this drip pan works better.

Char-Broil Gas Grills | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 3, 2018

My first Char-Broil was the outdoor cooking Island a monstrosity of a grill to it. Had overhead work lights storage underneath a refrigerator built into it. It was awesome. I purchased this 5 years ago. I spent the extra money and bought the cover as well for the winter. Had good luck with it for 2 years and then the burner started to rot out. Went to Char-Broil's website. Order new burners and heat shields. They were on backorder. I missed almost the whole season. By the time the parts got here the other two burners and heat shields rotted out. I attempted to get them and they were on backorder. I wound up selling the grill and buying another Char-Broil.

I'm two years into this one and all the burners and all the heat shields are rotted out. It's ready for the trash. My next purchase will be a Weber. I have a friend who bought a Weber 10 years ago. It sits outside year-round uncovered and it looks like the day he bought it. It probably cost two to three times as much as a Char-Broil but if you have to buy a new one every two years it's worth it to spend the money upfront.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Not durable. Bought a year ago and already has rips and tears this is due to the Charbroil grill that I purchased at the same time that has sharp edges. Complained to customer service and they offered a meager discount off their high MSRP plus shipping actually costs more than what I could pay at retail. And this is direct from the MFR. They want to make profit again off of their inferior product. Either way would never buy again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

When I bought the grill, Lowe’s and the tag on the grill said 99 year warranty on stainless steel parts. Called to replace parts and was told page 3 of owner's manual limits it to $399 of replacement parts at retail pricing. I have exceeded the $399 so no longer under warranty. Very unfair business practice since the only way to know the warranty had a limit was to buy the grill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Char-Broil?

Original review: June 4, 2018

I guess I should have read the reviews on this before I drop $197 on it. The thermometer sticks and I had to thump it several times. I checked the temperature on the inside of it, it's 450 degrees, but the thermometer only went up to 150 until I thumped it, then it went up to 250, and then I thumped it a few more times and it went up to 350. It is stuck there now and it's not going any higher. Looks like I'll be burning everything because I can't tell how hot the interior of this Grill is getting. What a horrible let down. Do not buy this product.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My Char-Broil Classis is going on 3 yrs old. The flame does not change. When I light it the flames come up, but very low. The handles are turned to high. If I decrease the flame with the handle part, the flame goes out. All 4 burners are doing the same thing. What can I do?? The temperature only goes up to the 300 mark. Help.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My Char-Broil grill wasn't inexpensive, higher end model around $369 on sale. One burner didn't work as soon as we got it home, but such a pain to return that we just decided to use the rest of the grill. It blew out a knob and flames shot out of the hole where the knob had been and melted that part of the grill. Thankfully we were standing right there to shut off the gas or we could have lost our home. For the warranty fulfillment on this new grill the company will only mail us a large of amounts of replacement parts for us to try to figure out how to put all into this burned out grill. Don't buy one! Terrible customer service and product.

Original review: May 28, 2018

May 27, 2016 retired my Big Easy after 16+ years. Yes, did purchase some replacement burners and deflectors on two occasions. Still working but once again new parts would be needed and decided to get a new infra-red Char-Broil. Lowe's did not have an assembled Model 463347418, and I foolishly decided to bring the boxed grill home and assemble myself. The 2002 grill provided plenty of instruction and pictures and assembled easily. The Big Easy deserves 5 stars. The assembly of its replacement deserves 1 star.

All you get now are pictures. No excuse for Char Broil to not provide any written instruction with their pictures. LET ME REPEAT- NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. The novice assembler has to constantly guess, and a little written instruction with each and every picture (there were 19) should be required and mandatory. (I.E. make sure part A is front, part B is back. Attachment of part A should be atop, not under part C). Pictures only make you guess. It was a bad, bad afternoon.

Hopefully the new Char Broil will be as good as the 2002 model. Just judging on the crappy picture only assembly instructions it is off to a really bad start. Char-Broil, you want your customer to give you a satisfaction rating. Provide some freaking instructions with your 19 pictures. Until then consider yourselves lucky to get more than one star.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I bought a 4 burner tru infrared $500.00 gas grill in Nov or Dec 2013. I treated the grates and shields with oil before using and sprayed with oil after each use, as instructed. It still rusted heavily. Finally, this year, I decided to replace grills and burners (2 were caving in). I went to Lowe's and got two new grates, shields and burners. Got home and took out the two caved ingrates and shields (crumbled in my hands as DID the third and fourth, I was able to save one flame shield). Two of the burners were completely gone except where they were connected to the grill with cotter pin. Cotter pin holders broken. Third burner full of holes. Burner flame covers - salvaged one. The inner grill side panels (one rectangle and one trapezoid) were detached from side. Bottom rear floor panel rusted threw where caster wheel is, now grill sits cockeyed.

Contacted Char-Broil, pictures and emails, Heather told me it would costs over $400.00 in replacement parts. I had an arkla gas grill prior to this (from 1982 to 2013) had to replace burners about every 8+ years and metal grills about every 19 years. Char-Broil must have used defective metal in making my grill. There is no reason my grill floor should rust out. Grill is positioned on 4 concrete patio stones (16 by 16). Don't buy Char-Broil Gas Grills. Poor poor quality! I don't recommend them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Ok I owned several Char-Broil grills over the years. 2016 I bought a Char-Broil Tru Flame grill. In two weeks the vapor grates rusted out. I replaced them 4 times until the grill itself finally rusted out. I not only cleaned and covered the grill but also stored it inside a brick outside utility building. I contacted Char-Broil because the Box, the frame, the wheels, the burners and the vapor grates had all rusted out and the electric start quit. This grill was $300. Pictures were taken and submitted. Char-Broil in the past had a good warranty and CS. But this time they said that I would have to pay $100 for the parts. And that meant complete disassembly of the grill and rebuild it. So I opted to throw away the grill and I purchased a RevoAce grill from Amazon for $150. The RevoAce grill is made in China also. It won't last more than two years either. But I think buying a cheaper grill will be more cost effective.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We purchased a Char Broil Grill model 463243016 at Lowe's 2 years ago. The grates haven't lasted, so tried to find replacements, only to find that they have to be special ordered. $19.99 each, and the emitters $18.99 each. Needing 3 of each at that price would be over $120.00 plus taxes and shipping would then be around $200!!! Can buy a new grill for not much more. Done with Char Broil!!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

Overall I like the look of the Char-Broil gas grill. I would recommend buying. Good buy, and the price isn't bad. But the grates wear out too quickly.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Char-Broil Gas Grill works fine. I really thought the space was large enough but I never have enough room. The finish did darken after about two uses. I also believe there is a better design for the drip pan.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The grill that I own is awesome. I have never had any problems with it at all. I purchased it about 2 years ago and as long as I keep the propane tanks full then I know that I can always rely on it. Recently we had hurricane Irma come thru, and we were without power for many days, but thanks to our gas grill I was still able to heat water for bathing and saved a lot of money by cooking on it rather than eating out. I even learned how to bake a cake on my gas grill. It was truly a lifesaver and I would never want to be without it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

This is the 2nd one I have owned and I will never buy another brand. It has the radiant heat that makes steaks and burgers cook perfectly and taste great. Easy to clean as well. I live in New England and I grill outdoors all winter long!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The first gas grill that we have ever owned and I am very happy with it. No more waiting for the charcoal to heat up and definitely easier clean up.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Removed flame retardant shields to make it work better and use flame retardant bricks to simulate a grill. The grease catcher need a better design, the hose to propane needs a PSI meter and wheel assembly needs to be stronger.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Have had this Char-Broil gas grill for over 7 years. It's easy to clean and nice looking. It cooks great, love the sear feature. There's plenty of room for when we have family gatherings. I keep it covered but the ignitor went out about 2 years ago and the burners aren't putting out the flame it did but it still cooks.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I bought two of these Char-Broil small table top portable gas grills because the seller was having a season clearance sale and I couldn't pass up the deal. What a mistake. Both grills had the same problem, and I assume it was the gas regulators or the combination of burner/regulator. I switched parts from both grills, I contacted service and sales and they sent more regulators and burners that did the exact same thing. I battled this "blowing out" of the flame on the burners for a year or more until I couldn't stand it anymore and chucked both grills, parts, replacement parts in the local dumpster. Needless to say, ask me if I will ever buy or use another Char-Broil grill.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Disappointing purchase. Burners do not light quickly causing flash ignitions. Stainless steel is cheap resulting in rust spots. Cabinet doors do not close. The grill is light weight and after less than 2 years needs to be replaced. I will replace this grill before next spring.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Pro 3 gas grill - Our grill is only 3 years old. Had to have it replace once. Not this one. When we use it when you go to shut it off the knob is so hot you can't touch the thing to turn off. You have to use a pot holder, this is a piece of crap.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

This is the second grill I've owned from you, first one lasted 15 years and was great, this one works great also but your engineers made a huge mistake. There is no way to clean the catch pan under the grill. This is the grill Walmart sell a ton of poor design.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I purchased a Char Broil Tru Infrared Professional thinking it was made with degree of excellence. I couldn't be more wrong. It has surface rust all over. The more I have tried to clean the worst the finish becomes with the rust reappearing. My experience with customer service they were good at not addressing the problem. I was told to rub the BBQ down with 50/50 water vinegar solution every time the rust reappears. Make sure the cover is off but only put it on when it rains. I was also told that all stainless rusts except for surgical steel. This is a BBQ for my deck just a year old and looks terrible. I have owned BBQ’s for over 40 years this was my most expensive one purchased and the worst.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Purchased Char-Broil Tru-Infrared model #5463270615 from Sears in April 2015 for $248.00. I think the Infrared feature will not give you the true BBQ grill that sears the outside. I was expecting more than I got. Two years later we had used the grill about 7 times for steak, burgers, chicken. I was expecting true “char broil” flavor, with the outside of the meat seared as described in the manual (page 7) and according to the color pictures on the cover of the manual. The manual states “Searing is creating a flavor “crust”… and getting a good “crust” on the outside… to ensure flavor remain inside.”

Some BBQ cook book suggest rubbing sea salt on the steak before grilling and that is supposed to facilitate the searing and Char-Broil crust. I never achieved the searing and the flavor was the same as cooking at high heat on our electric stove. The color of the steak was more tan or beige with darker tan strips. Clean up is about the same as other grills: highest heat with top closed, scrap, brush, wipe, coat with cooking oil. If I had it to do over I would choose a Char-Broil traditional gas propane grill with a BBQ grill mat. High temperature and very little clean up.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I've owned a Char-Broil for over 40 years. In that time I've had 4 grills. They are built well and if a part does wear out they are easy to replace. They have great accessories and are easy to operate.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

For a medium size grill, this Char-Broil has done far more than what I was expecting. Not only can you grill burgers, chicken and ribs you can also use the grill as a smoker for small-large size pieces of meat. I had this particular grill for more than 2 years, and it has provided me with fantastic grilling.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I really love the look of my grill. It is a 4 burner with a side burner and side shelf. My problem with it is from the day that I got it the ignition buttons to light it do not work at all. I have to light the grill with a long lighter from the back of the grill.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought my grill 20 years ago and it still works like new. To be fair they used to have a lifetime warranty on the burners and they have kept their promise. I have replaced these brass burners several times through the years. Parts are cheap and easy to service. I know people who have replaced their grill several times in the same time period. Not sure they still make my model though.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Grills perfect steaks, burgers, and even salmon. Flames can be adjusted for any food. Works well for indirect heat grilling. We have owned our current grill for a little over 2 years and are extremely satisfied. We purchased a Char-Broil because of service we've had with them in the past and the availability of replacement parts if needed.

Char-Broil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Charbroil has been making and selling grills since 1948 and have been working ever since to make grilling even easier and more affordable. The company began by selling charcoal grills, but today they make a variety of types of grills, including the innovative Wi-Fi enabled smoker. Innovating isn’t new to Charbroill; over the last six decades they have introduced several new types of grilling to America, including portable, electric and gas with electric ignition grilling.

• Wi-Fi enabled smoker: The first of its kind, Charbroil’s Wi-Fi enabled smoker (the SmartChef) sends real-time updates and alerts through the cloud straight to your smart device so you can go about your day without constantly checking on your smoker.

• Community: The Charbroil community includes recipes, grilling tips, safety tips and more. The community pages are open to the public, so you don’t need to sign up for an email list to gain access to valuable grilling information.

• Order online: Charbroil has domestic and international shipping available, so you can order online, sit back and let your grill come to you. Shipping rates are based on the total amount of your order, and express rates are available if you need your grill in a hurry.

• Full refund: You can return your Charbroil grill for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Shipping costs will be refunded if the product arrived in error.

• Submit an idea: Charbroil welcomes ideas from customers around the world for new products and accessories. Fill out the “submit an idea” form on Charbroil’s website with your patented idea for a chance to contribute to Charbroil’s next big thing.

• Best for: Charbroil grills are versatile, making them great for travelers, large and small families, apartment dwellers and homeowners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs