2.96/5

243 Char-Broil Gas Grills Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My current issue is that since November 2017 when purchased... Every time that I use the grill it cooks well But within less than a week I uncover the grill and it always has MOLD on all the grids. I afraid to cook on it... Please Help!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Purchased a 4 burner Char-Broil grill last September during an end of year sale. I did not open or use it until May when it warmed up in Michigan. Built it and it would not hit 300 degrees. Followed tech support and nothing worked. Called them and they replaced the regulator (with me paying $26 shipping). I replaced it and the grill maxed out would only hit 400 degrees. I requested a refund and was told "we never do refunds", we will just keep sending you parts over and over.

So they sent me a 3rd regulator (it takes over an hour to replace). It will hit 450 degrees after being on 28 minutes but never hot enough to clean. After sending images, proof of purchase for the 3rd time, and speaking with someone higher up they said they refuse to refund me and will send me a 4th regulator. The forums on their site have many complaints about this specific grill not getting hot and they acknowledge it but refuse to replace it or refund. Never again will I purchase anything from them. I am going to accept the regulator and eBay it so I can get something back at least.

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have had my 4 burner Char-Broil gas grill for less than 2 years and starting having problems with the burners working. Turns out according to their customer service associate (who was very helpful in trying the reset the regulator and diagnose the problem) that I had a bad regulator. The company doesn't warrant regulators beyond 1 year. Their charge including shipping was just under $60. We looked on the Home Depot website and got a similar answer from their store associates. I bought a universal regulator that was made by the exact same manufacturer as the original part. Cost was 19.99 + tax. Taking the original part off, going to Home Depot for the part and putting the grill back together took approximately 45 minutes and I was almost $40 richer. TRIPLE the cost using Char-Broil!! The grill is working perfectly now, but I won't be purchasing anything from Char-Broil again. OH AND BY THE WAY THE PARTS WERE MADE IN CHINA.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had a 4 year old top of the line Char-Broil infrared grill and I need some parts due to rust. I bought the parts directly from the company online. I went to replace the parts and realized that the grill was not worth saving. It was only 4 years old. So I sent the parts back. I just called them because I did not see the credit on my credit card and it was over two months since I had sent it back. Suddenly, they found the parts and are crediting my account within 72 hours. I also had to pay for shipping both ways. I will not buy a Char-Broil grill again. They rust too quickly and buying anything online for this company is risky.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My grill was a Mother's Day gift. I use it all the time. I've had it for at least 10 years. Easy for me to replace old rusted piece as well as the battery for the electric start.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Char-Broil?

Original review: July 20, 2018

Been great so far - I love barbequing and using the outdoors to cook and have a nice dinner for friends and relatives. So glad I bought the new grill this year.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had this Char-Broil for five years now and it's still going strong. It cooks like I bought it yesterday. It's very durable as it sits out all winter.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Love my stainless grill. Inside has nice racks which cook food nicely, and it's easy to clean! This is a smaller grill and perfect for me! Always wanted a Char-Broil grill! Ought a nice Char-Broil cover also?

Original review: July 17, 2018

We purchased a Char-Broil Modular kitchen. We recently set it up and we are very disappointed with the grill portion of it. We grilled steaks and the amount smoke that was created was not normal. It was HEAVY white smoke. We were practically unable to get close the grill to shut it off. Fast forward we called Char-Broil with no satisfaction. We were told that we needed additional information every time we called back and that this was normal and that we should call Lowe's. We called and we were told again this is normal by the store manager and that we should look at a YouTube and we would see it. This is not normal. I have grilled all my life with my Weber and never experienced this.

Original review: July 16, 2018

It was easy to set up, heat up and use. The cleaning part not so much a bargain, but the process was great. I think I will stay with a standard charcoal grill.

Original review: July 15, 2018

It does a really nice job of getting hot coals in a short time. But not very happy with how it wastes charcoal when the grill is shut down. Grill is easy to clean though.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We bought this grill as it looked good and sturdy plus it had the features we wanted at that time. It was easily dented, the burners burned out in less than six months, we were unable to purchase more burners that fit into it. And it does not hold a true temperature. It flares hot and cool even with no food in it.

Original review: July 13, 2018

This grill is well made and easy to light, clean and efficient. The construction is excellent. The controls are accurate when adjusting heat settings and the burners provide even cooking across the entire grill if desired or you can adjust the burners separately to account for variable cooking time and temperatures. The accessories are is to use and provide a number of cooking variations. It also works very well as a smoker and to dry meat for jerky.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought this grill new at a big chain depot store 10 years ago and it’s been rock solid the whole time. Ignited on cue and although it’s rough to look at now it’s been a decent investment. The ones made today are thinner all around. I am in the market for a new one now but will stick to the same brand and same burners.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Pit Boss by Char-Broil is heavy duty and well built. It's awesome and makes grilling fun. It smokes meat and grills. It was purchased at Lowe's in Cincinnati and it's everything I expected.

Original review: July 9, 2018

This is our second Char-Broil. So far it seems to have an even heat and works really well with side burner. It also cleans easily. The upper rack works well when I need indirect heat. Would purchase again.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Recently purchased a new Char-Broil gas grill model# 463245917 with six burners for an excellent price at Lowe's. My old Char-Broil grill was ten plus years old. This grill is an awesome size, so much so that I had to remove the right side shelf so that the grill would fit in the barbecue area on my deck. Barbecued today for the first time using the grill along with a universal rotisserie. I was very pleased with the outcome, except that the front of the grill is very hot. The carryover (gas transfer) tube runs across the front of the grill which makes flipping food at the back of the grill difficult due to the intense heat. Makes we wonder about the plastic knobs on the front of the grill. Also, I was surprised that there were no hooks for hanging utensils. Never used a grease drip pan before. I've always had a baked bean can with a hook attacked to catch the grease. Sure hope this drip pan works better.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My first Char-Broil was the outdoor cooking Island a monstrosity of a grill to it. Had overhead work lights storage underneath a refrigerator built into it. It was awesome. I purchased this 5 years ago. I spent the extra money and bought the cover as well for the winter. Had good luck with it for 2 years and then the burner started to rot out. Went to Char-Broil's website. Order new burners and heat shields. They were on backorder. I missed almost the whole season. By the time the parts got here the other two burners and heat shields rotted out. I attempted to get them and they were on backorder. I wound up selling the grill and buying another Char-Broil.

I'm two years into this one and all the burners and all the heat shields are rotted out. It's ready for the trash. My next purchase will be a Weber. I have a friend who bought a Weber 10 years ago. It sits outside year-round uncovered and it looks like the day he bought it. It probably cost two to three times as much as a Char-Broil but if you have to buy a new one every two years it's worth it to spend the money upfront.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Not durable. Bought a year ago and already has rips and tears this is due to the Charbroil grill that I purchased at the same time that has sharp edges. Complained to customer service and they offered a meager discount off their high MSRP plus shipping actually costs more than what I could pay at retail. And this is direct from the MFR. They want to make profit again off of their inferior product. Either way would never buy again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

When I bought the grill, Lowe’s and the tag on the grill said 99 year warranty on stainless steel parts. Called to replace parts and was told page 3 of owner's manual limits it to $399 of replacement parts at retail pricing. I have exceeded the $399 so no longer under warranty. Very unfair business practice since the only way to know the warranty had a limit was to buy the grill.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I guess I should have read the reviews on this before I drop $197 on it. The thermometer sticks and I had to thump it several times. I checked the temperature on the inside of it, it's 450 degrees, but the thermometer only went up to 150 until I thumped it, then it went up to 250, and then I thumped it a few more times and it went up to 350. It is stuck there now and it's not going any higher. Looks like I'll be burning everything because I can't tell how hot the interior of this Grill is getting. What a horrible let down. Do not buy this product.

Original review: June 1, 2018

My Char-Broil Classis is going on 3 yrs old. The flame does not change. When I light it the flames come up, but very low. The handles are turned to high. If I decrease the flame with the handle part, the flame goes out. All 4 burners are doing the same thing. What can I do?? The temperature only goes up to the 300 mark. Help.

Original review: May 29, 2018

My Char-Broil grill wasn't inexpensive, higher end model around $369 on sale. One burner didn't work as soon as we got it home, but such a pain to return that we just decided to use the rest of the grill. It blew out a knob and flames shot out of the hole where the knob had been and melted that part of the grill. Thankfully we were standing right there to shut off the gas or we could have lost our home. For the warranty fulfillment on this new grill the company will only mail us a large of amounts of replacement parts for us to try to figure out how to put all into this burned out grill. Don't buy one! Terrible customer service and product.

Original review: May 28, 2018

May 27, 2016 retired my Big Easy after 16+ years. Yes, did purchase some replacement burners and deflectors on two occasions. Still working but once again new parts would be needed and decided to get a new infra-red Char-Broil. Lowe's did not have an assembled Model 463347418, and I foolishly decided to bring the boxed grill home and assemble myself. The 2002 grill provided plenty of instruction and pictures and assembled easily. The Big Easy deserves 5 stars. The assembly of its replacement deserves 1 star.

All you get now are pictures. No excuse for Char Broil to not provide any written instruction with their pictures. LET ME REPEAT- NO EXCUSE FOR THAT. The novice assembler has to constantly guess, and a little written instruction with each and every picture (there were 19) should be required and mandatory. (I.E. make sure part A is front, part B is back. Attachment of part A should be atop, not under part C). Pictures only make you guess. It was a bad, bad afternoon.

Hopefully the new Char Broil will be as good as the 2002 model. Just judging on the crappy picture only assembly instructions it is off to a really bad start. Char-Broil, you want your customer to give you a satisfaction rating. Provide some freaking instructions with your 19 pictures. Until then consider yourselves lucky to get more than one star.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I bought a 4 burner tru infrared $500.00 gas grill in Nov or Dec 2013. I treated the grates and shields with oil before using and sprayed with oil after each use, as instructed. It still rusted heavily. Finally, this year, I decided to replace grills and burners (2 were caving in). I went to Lowe's and got two new grates, shields and burners. Got home and took out the two caved ingrates and shields (crumbled in my hands as DID the third and fourth, I was able to save one flame shield). Two of the burners were completely gone except where they were connected to the grill with cotter pin. Cotter pin holders broken. Third burner full of holes. Burner flame covers - salvaged one. The inner grill side panels (one rectangle and one trapezoid) were detached from side. Bottom rear floor panel rusted threw where caster wheel is, now grill sits cockeyed.

Contacted Char-Broil, pictures and emails, Heather told me it would costs over $400.00 in replacement parts. I had an arkla gas grill prior to this (from 1982 to 2013) had to replace burners about every 8+ years and metal grills about every 19 years. Char-Broil must have used defective metal in making my grill. There is no reason my grill floor should rust out. Grill is positioned on 4 concrete patio stones (16 by 16). Don't buy Char-Broil Gas Grills. Poor poor quality! I don't recommend them.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Ok I owned several Char-Broil grills over the years. 2016 I bought a Char-Broil Tru Flame grill. In two weeks the vapor grates rusted out. I replaced them 4 times until the grill itself finally rusted out. I not only cleaned and covered the grill but also stored it inside a brick outside utility building. I contacted Char-Broil because the Box, the frame, the wheels, the burners and the vapor grates had all rusted out and the electric start quit. This grill was $300. Pictures were taken and submitted. Char-Broil in the past had a good warranty and CS. But this time they said that I would have to pay $100 for the parts. And that meant complete disassembly of the grill and rebuild it. So I opted to throw away the grill and I purchased a RevoAce grill from Amazon for $150. The RevoAce grill is made in China also. It won't last more than two years either. But I think buying a cheaper grill will be more cost effective.

Original review: May 10, 2018

We purchased a Char Broil Grill model 463243016 at Lowe's 2 years ago. The grates haven't lasted, so tried to find replacements, only to find that they have to be special ordered. $19.99 each, and the emitters $18.99 each. Needing 3 of each at that price would be over $120.00 plus taxes and shipping would then be around $200!!! Can buy a new grill for not much more. Done with Char Broil!!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

Overall I like the look of the Char-Broil gas grill. I would recommend buying. Good buy, and the price isn't bad. But the grates wear out too quickly.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Char-Broil Gas Grill works fine. I really thought the space was large enough but I never have enough room. The finish did darken after about two uses. I also believe there is a better design for the drip pan.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The grill that I own is awesome. I have never had any problems with it at all. I purchased it about 2 years ago and as long as I keep the propane tanks full then I know that I can always rely on it. Recently we had hurricane Irma come thru, and we were without power for many days, but thanks to our gas grill I was still able to heat water for bathing and saved a lot of money by cooking on it rather than eating out. I even learned how to bake a cake on my gas grill. It was truly a lifesaver and I would never want to be without it.

Char-Broil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Charbroil has been making and selling grills since 1948 and have been working ever since to make grilling even easier and more affordable. The company began by selling charcoal grills, but today they make a variety of types of grills, including the innovative Wi-Fi enabled smoker. Innovating isn’t new to Charbroill; over the last six decades they have introduced several new types of grilling to America, including portable, electric and gas with electric ignition grilling.

• Wi-Fi enabled smoker: The first of its kind, Charbroil’s Wi-Fi enabled smoker (the SmartChef) sends real-time updates and alerts through the cloud straight to your smart device so you can go about your day without constantly checking on your smoker.

• Community: The Charbroil community includes recipes, grilling tips, safety tips and more. The community pages are open to the public, so you don’t need to sign up for an email list to gain access to valuable grilling information.

• Order online: Charbroil has domestic and international shipping available, so you can order online, sit back and let your grill come to you. Shipping rates are based on the total amount of your order, and express rates are available if you need your grill in a hurry.

• Full refund: You can return your Charbroil grill for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Shipping costs will be refunded if the product arrived in error.

• Submit an idea: Charbroil welcomes ideas from customers around the world for new products and accessories. Fill out the “submit an idea” form on Charbroil’s website with your patented idea for a chance to contribute to Charbroil’s next big thing.

• Best for: Charbroil grills are versatile, making them great for travelers, large and small families, apartment dwellers and homeowners.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs