2. Homeowners

Char-Broil Gas Grills

Char-Broil Gas Grills
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.47/5

Char-Broil Gas Grills Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

It's a good grill overall. Getting the right temperature is key to any BBQ. My issues was with the gas regulator, grill manifold and manifold cover plates. The regulator went bad and there's no good reason for any regulator to fail. And it's too expensive! The manifolds should have a ceramic covering or shield to help in cleaning. Keep your grill covered when not in use and safe to do so. Mine is under a patio cover. My old cast iron grill I still use and frankly the most durable of all grills are the old cast irons.

Original review: June 19, 2019

The grill has 4 burners. It cooks food. The end burners somehow exploded off the knobs. Char-Broil was very quick to supply parts to fix the issue immediately. So customer service gets 5 out of 5 stars. The appearance, the grill stand is horrible. It's the replacement model from a previous model I had so I figured the tank would be housed inside the cabinet. Well it has an exposed back side and no cabinet at all. Overall I love grilling and this grill does the job.

Get expert buying tips about Barbecue Grills delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I have the Char-Broil 40 inch offset smoker/grill combination, and mostly use it as a grill, but the smoker option is great, when you do want to add some smoke, or really slow cook some ribs, a pork shoulder or a brisket. I do not have the free time to smoke as much as I'd like, and that is why I went with the combination unit. This unit works great as a daily grill, and is really easy to clean-out, and regulate temperatures accordingly. The large space allows me to have more than one temperature zone as well, which is key for meats and vegetables at the same time.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I bought my grill used several years ago. The previous owner had intended to turn it into a smoker and never got around to it. It sat under snow for at least one winter, so its exterior was in rough shape when I first bought it. Once I got my grill home I bought a wire brush and some Rust-Oleum high heat paint. I put in some elbow grease to remove rust from the exterior of the grill and then began re-painting it. I put down a couple coats of rust-proof primer, then applied the black high heat paint.

After all that work I scrubbed and scrapped down the cast iron grill grates then coated them in some cooking oil. My grill was ready, and I've used it for many meals and cookouts since. My biggest complaint is that I was grilling a meal once when it started raining lightly. The paint over the heat bubbled up, cracked, and flaked off because the of temperature difference, and I haven't gotten around to refinishing it yet. I'll probably take care of it this summer.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have one of Char-Broil 940xl charcoal grill. It's been in production at least 30 years if not longer. I think it has 940" of grill surface. It is made of very heavy metal all over. Has a full slide out ash drawer. Heavy cast iron front door to reload the fire. Cast iron cooking grates which need replacing now after 7 1/2 yrs. has a very adjustable fire grate, air and temp are very easily adjustable, seals very good. I use to grill everything from steaks, salmon, burgers. I also use it as a small smoker, with fire on one end and turkey, hams, whatever on the other side. Has enough room to place a water pan under the meat. I am 7 1/2 years into my second one in over 30 YEARS. I grill about once a week. It's been great for me. I also have a Char-Broil Tec gas grill for about ten years plus. They made upgrades to all the burners since original purchase. I couldn't be happier with both of them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Char-Broil?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I ordered an incorrect part (my error) and wanted to return or exchange the item for the correct part. Beware that Charbroil does not offer any return shipping options. You have to ship yourself at full price. For me, I ordered a grate for $34.99 +$11.00 shipping, the return shipping was $30.00, plus they do not refund the $11.00. So total out of pocket was $41.00 for shipping. Threw the part away and ate the $49.00 total bill. Who does business like this today? Spoke with customer service and they could care less. Girl said, "Yeah, lots of customers complain about this issue and they are looking into it." Not a hard one to figure out in my book, but apparently management at Charbroil doesn't get it and are not all that bright obviously.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I own a Char-grill now for about 2 months. Two days ago it caught fire. The one nob in front literally melted. I had fire running from the grill over the knob controller line underneath to the knob. I have noticed in the few times I have used the grill that the flame is always very high in the front of the grill instead of being evening distributed across the burner. After talking with the manufacture I was told that I need to clean the gas lines. I need to inspect the gas tank lines. I need to clean off the melted plastic. They will give me a new knob. Then I can continue to use this highly dangerous grill. Obviously it's not their house that might burn down. Or one of them that might get burned by this grill. I would not recommend this grill or company for anything. Their concern is money and not the consumer safety.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I bought the gas BBQ Char-Broil at the end of July in the Lowe's, they assembly it for me, in 2 months when we was using it notes the fire under the BBQ due to leaking gas. When I went to the store they told me they will not take it back, because we use it, even it was mark on receipt 90 days return. They suggested to call guarantee, that I did. I was told that I have to disassemble the part with the problem, clean it up and they will do nothing. I am in charge of delivery the BBQ to repair or return. e-m address: **. Home address: **

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Purchased model #463432215 in May of 2015 & in 4 years time & less than 20 actual uses, the bottom rotted out making the grille unsafe & unusable. The firebox warranty of only 2 years is insufficient & obviously done this way to avoid warranty claims for a cheap/unsafe product. Do yourself a favor & spend the extra $$$ for a Weber with a real heavy-duty firebox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

Had Char-Broil Gas Grills about 10 years. Replaced with Performance stainless this year in July, as the old firebox eroded. I loved the classic and so knew I definitely wanted another Char-Broil, just smaller. Used it for burgers and dogs 5 times. Put new Char-Broil cover on and wanted to grill a steak. Removed cover to find bottom shelf covered in mice droppings as well as on the propane tank. Disgusted, but cleaned it and when opened top found the entire surfaced covered in grease residue. The quality of the interior absorbed the grease making it a nightmare to have to clean entire surface. I never had to with any grills I’ve had the last 30 some years. The residue would burn off and I only needed to clean the grates. I returned to Lowe’s since it was within the guarantee. Now wonder where I can find a better quality one as they are bulky and not easy to return. So disappointed in Char-Broil!

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Char-Broil expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Charbroil has been making and selling grills since 1948 and have been working ever since to make grilling even easier and more affordable. The company began by selling charcoal grills, but today they make a variety of types of grills, including the innovative Wi-Fi enabled smoker. Innovating isn’t new to Charbroill; over the last six decades they have introduced several new types of grilling to America, including portable, electric and gas with electric ignition grilling.

• Wi-Fi enabled smoker: The first of its kind, Charbroil’s Wi-Fi enabled smoker (the SmartChef) sends real-time updates and alerts through the cloud straight to your smart device so you can go about your day without constantly checking on your smoker.

• Community: The Charbroil community includes recipes, grilling tips, safety tips and more. The community pages are open to the public, so you don’t need to sign up for an email list to gain access to valuable grilling information.

• Order online: Charbroil has domestic and international shipping available, so you can order online, sit back and let your grill come to you. Shipping rates are based on the total amount of your order, and express rates are available if you need your grill in a hurry.

• Full refund: You can return your Charbroil grill for a full refund within 30 days of purchase. Shipping costs will be refunded if the product arrived in error.

• Submit an idea: Charbroil welcomes ideas from customers around the world for new products and accessories. Fill out the “submit an idea” form on Charbroil’s website with your patented idea for a chance to contribute to Charbroil’s next big thing.

• Best for: Charbroil grills are versatile, making them great for travelers, large and small families, apartment dwellers and homeowners.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team